Sign in to follow this  
o30_oldschool

SPAD - Vic Carpenter

I like that. a significant savings in aero drag. very well done! :)

.....of course an open transom would do it 10x better. :mellow:

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

Did Spike or Skip Boston used to own it. Recall something like that hitting the rocks in a Bayview Mac race. Also recall it being a dog, but I was just wee little kid way back then.

Did Spike or Skip Boston used to own it. Recall something like that hitting the rocks in a Bayview Mac race. Also recall it being a dog, but I was just wee little kid way back then.

Nope dad never owned it. We sailed Gleek for a couple years but Vic owned it. The boat that hit the rocks was a IOR boat called Dark Horse.

Nope dad never owned it. We sailed Gleek for a couple years but Vic owned it. The boat that hit the rocks was a IOR boat called Dark Horse.

cool, thanks

Remember sailing against that boat way back when. Sad to see her in that shape, Vic's designs should be cherished. He was a master craftsman.

Ah yes Dark Horse a IOR 2 Tonner?, the fleet went left they went right at the start of the Mac in 75. Just kept going right till they found the Bruce Peninsula.

Gleek! That was a Bad Ass looking thing. MORC ?? Best hull graphics I have ever seem.

Was it Spad this boat that got blown off the lake in the "85" I Survived Mac with 75% of the starters. I remember seeing it before the start in Black River. Then thinking about them after we finished. I think it was Double Handed. Could be wrong.

Called the current owner.........its in pieces, not as advertised. Original mast disappeared, new used mast wrong size...so do the math.....cheap boat = expensive project boat.....

Too bad, so sad for Spad

Ah yes Dark Horse a IOR 2 Tonner?, the fleet went left they went right at the start of the Mac in 75. Just kept going right till they found the Bruce Peninsula.

Dark Horse was still under construction as they motored out to the starting line. Then they realized they had not a single sheet line nor any food on board. They went over to Howard Boston's boat (cal 40?) and Howard gave them everything that he had.

Blasting up the eastern shore they had no functioning instruments except for a compass. They were throwing scraps of paper over the bow and timing how long it took to reach the stern to determine their speed. Dad said they had done a horizon job on the fleet up until they put it on the rocks in the fog.

When it burned off in the morning they were 100 yards from the shore. Unable to free themselves they got the biggest fishing boat from Tobermory to pull them off. Try as they may the boat was stuck fast with the keel wedged between some rocks. They had to put the towline to the masthead in order to free the keel from the rocks.

We bought "it" - a boat called "Spad" is hardly feminine sounding (unless it's an abbreviation for Spadina). We know little about boat but hope to bring her back to life with the requisite care and attention it deserves.

We would be grateful for any additional information about "Spad" beyond what turns-up on the net.

Kindly: On The Rocks

Ode to Spad

Spad is rad.

If can't see that,

mayhaps you're a cad,

and should have listened to your dad.

So the shape is a bit of a fad,

It doesn't make me mad

or sad...

Just glad!

So if you want a boat that's bad,

and cooler than a stereo by NAD,