• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

476 posts in this topic

Hey guys, check out the nice preview video from the 52 SUPER SERIES (TP52s):

Love the TP series- best racing on the water at the moment.

Agreed.

Beats America's Cup down to a whimpering, broken mess.

Agreed.

Beats America's Cup down to a whimpering, broken mess.

No shit eh? I use to be an AC guy (for most of my sailing/racing life) but I don't even bother to look at anymore. Or the AC Anarchy threads as it's tantamount going to PA IMHO.

I'm glad that someone is got this up and going as the serious as already on:http://www.52superseries.com/events/2016/all/ Next one is June 28th. My homey (and buddy) is on Sled; Ross MacDonald as tactician. That has had pretty modicum over the years with the class and the old MedCup events. I'm pulling for Rosco and Sled of course!

All be watching.

Is there anywhere that you can watch complete races, not just godawful snips like the one above?

Is there anywhere that you can watch complete races, not just godawful snips like the one above?

There's no live streaming if that's what you mean. The best option is to watch the virtual eye tracking and underneath the VE iframe, there's a live Twitter feed with short clips from the water. Other than that, they post highlight videos (approx 5 minutes) to Facebook the morning after each race.

I'll post them here when they're ready!

there are a few full races on youtube. they seem to be from last year tho.

you could get complete event video when it was still the audi medcup.

The official practice race has been cancelled due to high mistral winds. Check back tomorrow for the first race.

AP Flag, the official Flag of Racing in Porto Cervo hoisted again!

Provezza's owner is obviously a fairly large unit and wouldn't be the most nimble of fellows, however, is his hiking technique illegal? I thought legs in and upper body projected through the lifelines was a no-no.

Mex

Day 5 highlights:

A full wrap up video should be available this week. I'll post it here, then we're off to Puerto Portals from 25th July.

Full wrap up video:

Next stop, Puerto Portals. Shall we use this thread again or should I start a new one?

Full wrap up video:

Next stop, Puerto Portals. Shall we use this thread again or should I start a new one?

Dan, thanks for providing the links here and please keep it here on this thread.

I totally dig watching all these ugly people sailing shitty boats at crappy venues.

Seriously, the 52 series and the highly organized media program that goes with it is super cool !!! Love it. If only....

great footage and info! is there a way to get a look at the improvements and finetuning done over winter? sort of a technical show?

Thanks for the idea JMOD. The first event is in January, so not much of a winter break this season! I'll see if it something be integrated.

Other suggestions are also welcome! What do you want to see / see more of?

Thanks for the idea JMOD. The first event is in January, so not much of a winter break this season! I'll see if it something be integrated.

more racing. lots more racing .

Bewbs of course!

Just more racing, especially kite drops, roundings, starts etc.......

I really liked the "advice from a pro" thing you had going. Maybe you could expand it to take questions from you Facebook page or here even?

If there is ever a way to live stream, best racing on the net back in the day.

Media from the 52 class is so far beyond anything else sailing has done for sure, including the A.C.

I like to see behind the scenes stuff, what the yard jigs are working on, cool upgrades on takedown systems and other stuff that eventually trickles down to us local club sailors etc. What new technologies do current generation 52's have that the previous iteration didn't ? Please highlight any drama you see amongst the crazy owners, that's fun too. Great job for sure, the video quality has been fantastic---- wish it was enough to entice all of us to run out and buy 52's to join your club -- there's some practical limiters there but sure enjoy watching along.

Media from the 52 class is so far beyond anything else sailing has done for sure, including the A.C.

I like to see behind the scenes stuff, what the yard jigs are working on, cool upgrades on takedown systems and other stuff that eventually trickles down to us local club sailors etc. What new technologies do current generation 52's have that the previous iteration didn't ? Please highlight any drama you see amongst the crazy owners, that's fun too. Great job for sure, the video quality has been fantastic---- wish it was enough to entice all of us to run out and buy 52's to join your club -- there's some practical limiters there but sure enjoy watching along.

as soon as I hit the lottery, a 52 will be MINE............

[PREVIEW VIDEO] - 52 Super Series Puerto Portals Sailing Week

Puerto Portals Sailing Week – 25th-29th July. Official Practice Race on Sunday 24th July.

maybe, for a rainy day or a windless day, it is nice to have an evolution video, where you can show the differences in hull shapes through the years so far and do this per subject (hulls, appendages, masts and sails) to showcase evolution. Also the technical and system upgrades are highly interesting!

The advice from a pro is a really good feature! Don't dumb it down, but keep it by sailors for sailors!

On board features would be nice, but watching 2 hours of racing is way too much, so it would be great to have split screens that show crew (from a go pro on the back of the boat) work on mark roundings, hoists, drops, etc.

The class is highly technical but still most sailors can relate because of the sort of yacht it is. therefore anything highlighting the progress and optimization is very much key interest! (at least to me)

Other suggestions are also welcome! What do you want to see / see more of

More of the starts please. 30sec before tells a lot and is great to watch.

Yea, just one wide shot of the start line for the last 30 or 60 minutes, please! No need to cut away to people grinding or close-ups of the drivers. We are sailors, we don't need that. We want to see who gets where on the start line and when and why. That is exciting!

Yea, just one wide shot of the start line for the last 30 or 60 minutes, please! No need to cut away to people grinding or close-ups of the drivers. We are sailors, we don't need that. We want to see who gets where on the start line and when and why. That is exciting!

+1 (as long as it's seconds, not minutes!)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm definitely listening!

Here's an opportunity to ask Adolfo Carrau from Botin Partners about the boat designs, or Andi Robertson about the 52 SUPER SERIES. Please comment and ask a couple of questions.

IF there is interest, we'll keep doing it.

https://www.facebook.com/52SuperSeries/posts/1314165515260601:0

Thanks for making the best sailing content out there, consistently. Is there any way you could live stream the events? I know it's a lot more effort, of have one race per event you have a video of the full thing

I really liked the "advice from a pro" thing you had going. Maybe you could expand it to take questions from you Facebook page or here even?

great footage and info! is there a way to get a look at the improvements and finetuning done over winter? sort of a technical show?

maybe, for a rainy day or a windless day, it is nice to have an evolution video, where you can show the differences in hull shapes through the years so far and do this per subject (hulls, appendages, masts and sails) to showcase evolution. Also the technical and system upgrades are highly interesting!

The advice from a pro is a really good feature! Don't dumb it down, but keep it by sailors for sailors!

On board features would be nice, but watching 2 hours of racing is way too much, so it would be great to have split screens that show crew (from a go pro on the back of the boat) work on mark roundings, hoists, drops, etc.

The class is highly technical but still most sailors can relate because of the sort of yacht it is. therefore anything highlighting the progress and optimization is very much key interest! (at least to me)

Here's your opportunity to ask questions to Andi Robertson (Commentator for the 52 SUPER SERIES), Ed Baird (Helmsman onboard Quantum Racing, and world-renowned sailor) and TP52 Boat Designer - Adolfo Carrau from Botin Partners. They will chat about your questions on Facebook Live at 10:10 CEST tomorrow (Tuesday) morning.

Comment on this Facebook post for the questions to be discussed by the guys.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO - Puerto Portals Sailing Week Day 1

Race 3 starts today at 13:00 CEST. Follow at www.52superseries.com/live.

thanks for updating! btw, love the video's from quantum. The last one (the gybe), perfect crew work orchestration! really enjoy watching this!

Good question and answer session this morning, got to hear mine asked of Ed, and interesting info on the boat design side of the equation. We will have to see what the new Interlodge brings to the party.

[Highlights Video] - Puerto Portals Sailing Week Day 2

Today's Coastal Race is due to start at 13:00 CEST. Watch it here: www.52superseries.com/live.

Such good quality recaps. Thank you for this. such a cool series.

[Highlights Video] - Puerto Portals Sailing Week Day 3 (52 SUPER SERIES)

Today's schedule is 2 x WL Races at 13.00 CEST. Follow in the normal place!

what was happening at the photo series of azurra and quantum with a lot of shouting at the back of the boat?

what was happening at the photo series of azurra and quantum with a lot of shouting at the back of the boat?

Azurra+Vasco Vascotti=shouting!!

I think Azurra pushed up too far to try and get on a lay line and kind of ignored the fact that Quantum was right there. They probably thought the penalty was less than having to do it properly as they couldn't duck and even an early tack below lay line wouldn't have given them space to tack in when they were under the mark.

Thanks, thought as much!

Great job dan_nixon sharing this with us. We all do appreciate it I'm sure.

Full highlights video from the Puerto Portals Sailing Week!

Thanks for watching.

[Highlights Video] - Puerto Portals Sailing Week Day 3 (52 SUPER SERIES)

Today's schedule is 2 x WL Races at 13.00 CEST. Follow in the normal place!

spitting out vodka.....WTF? ;-)

I'd love to see full race replays, the dally highlights i get on my Facebook feed and watch pretty quickly, but i like to watch full races like the few you did last year, work means i can;t watch them live but i do within a few days, they don't need to be full AC quality in fact in someways i like the 18 footers better that some of the full budget but commentated in a stale booth footage you see from time to time. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsluvCCMywLLQHWV164wpCQ i'm sure you can find your own medium

^^ Agree with this, if it is being video recorded for the highlight reel then just put the full race out there on the side for us crazies that enjoy TP52 racing action. Same problem, I am either on the way or just starting work when the races are going-on, so catch the results and replay when I get the time. Nothing fancy, just want to see the boats, mark rounding's, passes, and finishes. The cameras are rolling anyway...

Thank you Dan Nixon!! Awesome videos! Amazing boats...

[Preview Video] - 52 World Championship. Racing starts from Wednesday 14th at 13:00 CEST. Live TV on Friday, Saturday & Sunday!

I will be on the road in Newport to sail the 12m Heritage but will get up early to catch all the racing. Great job you guys, really looking forward to it.

Will the live streams be archived (maybe on YouTube) for those for whom timezones or work mean they can't watch the races live?

Thanks! reminder set!

Will the live streams be archived (maybe on YouTube) for those for whom timezones or work mean they can't watch the races live?

I'll come back to you on that!

Confirmed, they will be broadcast (and therefore archived) through our YouTube channel.

Confirmed, they will be broadcast (and therefore archived) through our YouTube channel.

Good news!

Excellent stuff. Thanks very much.

Bad luck to win the practice race...

bad luck to believe in luck

Always better to be lucky than good!! :o;):D

Always better to be lucky than good!! :o;):D

Eliminate as many obstacles as you can...

Practice Race Day - 52 World Championship

Racing starts at 12:30 CEST today, with race tracking available - www.52SUPERSERIES.com/LIVE

the 52s are awesome! Much more interesting than the AC45s...

Looking forward to watching this weekend.

Agreed. Nice to see some actual yacht racing. This AC catamaran stuff is gonzo.

I love the mash-up of Sex Machine and Whole Lotta Love. The old Q video from 2008 or so has Rock n Roll replaced with some other music, Zep must not have been impressed with its use, but I thought it was cool with the big wind run that it was used with.

The replacement song is called "I wanna be in AC/DC " by Down By Law

[HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO]: 52 World Championship Day 1

Day 2 will consist of a WL Race and a short Coastal Race from 12:30 CEST. Live TV from tomorrow!

Watch today's racing via race tracking at www.52SUPERSERIES.com/LIVE.

Will be on the laptop while I prepare to fly to Newport and go 12m sailing Saturday. Can't wait, great weekend of sailing on and off the water on tap.

the 52s are awesome! Much more interesting than the AC45s...

Looking forward to watching this weekend.

This!!!

[HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO]: 52 World Championship Day 2

Finally!! Live broadcasting from today at 12:15 CEST via the website or the app. Enjoy!

Forgive my techno-naivete, but how to watch stream on laptop? Only see apps for mobile devices? Thanks!

Forgive my techno-naivete, but how to watch stream on laptop? Only see apps for mobile devices? Thanks!

It is broadcast live on the 52 Super Series Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/52SuperSeries/videos

Thanks mate!! I find all the videos there, but when I click on the "live" button from menu on the left, I find lots of links, but 52 SS live?

It is broadcast live on the 52 Super Series Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/52SuperSeries/videos

Thanks mate!! I find all the videos there, but when I click on the "live" button from menu on the left, I find lots of links, but 52 SS live?

gotta get up early. the live stream started around 7 am EST and the second race ended around 11 am or maybe a little earlier.

gotta get up early. the live stream started around 7 am EST and the second race ended around 11 am or maybe a little earlier.

Thanks for that! I will be at work early tomorrow but as I am denied access to company wifi, I'm limited to dataplan using iphone for hotspot, but will check it out some.