Q rallied from deep to get a 2nd behind Azzura, passing Prevezza at the end after I thought it was all over. Had to run after that to sail on the 12m Heritage with Charley Morgan. Will be on for the whole show in the morning.

Q was BFD in race 8. I guess if you're gonna pull one of those, do it with an 18 point lead with three races to go in a 12 boat fleet.

Not sure what happened when the RC made it ashore, but it seems odd to General Recall a black flag start and only chuck one boat.

Yeah, went back and looked at things and saw the BFD. Seems like they have another gear the others do not have, that move from 6th to 2nd was impressive. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

[HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO]: 52 World Championship Day 4

Final day of racing, now with just 9pts separating Azzurra & Quantum. Planned WLs from 12:00.

Not pretty but Q close the deal for the win, driving Azzura back in the pack and holidng them there. Cayard gets a race win for the frst time out with the Phoenix team.

On to Cascais...

Take note Phoenix in the last three races had the best score by 2 points with a 3, 6, 1. Azurra was next with a 1, 1, 10 and so on......

I think they will get better, it is a fairly new boat and PC has been through this before.

I am curious about the explanation of giving Q a black flag but no one else on a general recall...................Quantum was definitely over, but I'm guessing it doesn't take only one for a general.

Was great watching it live! Hope you guys continue to do so!

[HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO] 52 World Championship Day 5

Loved the PRO's comment about the start line at the beginning- she won't be bullied!

I am curious about the explanation of giving Q a black flag but no one else on a general recall...................Quantum was definitely over, but I'm guessing it doesn't take only one for a general.

so over early results in a black flag ? or not making the penalty turn ?

There was one general and then the RC had the next start be black flag meaning if you're OCS you are DQ'd from race. 2nd race was also a general recall but Quantum was the only boat to cop a DQ from the race which seems odd. I can understand them perhaps blocking the view of pin for the RC but at this level surely there is an RC boat at the pin to help in those instances

From the highlights it's not clear to me how Provezza caused Ran foul, thus bumping them from the last podium step. Must watch again in slo-mo, I guess. Watching these boats is so much more awesome that AC foiling cats, be they 45's or 72's...

There was one general and then the RC had the next start be black flag meaning if you're OCS you are DQ'd from race. 2nd race was also a general recall but Quantum was the only boat to cop a DQ from the race which seems odd. I can understand them perhaps blocking the view of pin for the RC but at this level surely there is an RC boat at the pin to help in those instances

got it. thank you !

[PREVIEW VIDEO] - EGNOS 52 SUPER SERIES Cascais Cup. The last regatta of the 52 SUPER SERIES 2016 season!

Racing starts on Tuesday 11th October at 13:00 CEST.

I wish you guys could do more live streaming of this event. I watched on the tracker for both races today, but it really doesn't give any sense of the conditions, how close the starts are, and how things are really developing on the course. Still,

it's better than most regattas where you just have to wait for the results to be posted. Can't wait to see the live stuff later in the week.

Azzura seems to be on it still like the late regatta bullets they posted at the worlds. Q keeping them close at hand though. Surprised at the light air and postponement this morning.

Looking for more in the morning.

More live streaming on tap?

I wish you guys could do more live streaming of this event. I watched on the tracker for both races today, but it really doesn't give any sense of the conditions, how close the starts are, and how things are really developing on the course. Still,

it's better than most regattas where you just have to wait for the results to be posted. Can't wait to see the live stuff later in the week.

Sorry gents, there won't be any Live TV in Cascais, all coverage is via the Virtual Eye.

Sorry gents, there won't be any Live TV in Cascais, all coverage is via the Virtual Eye.

OK, but let's work on it for next season. It would be a neat experiment to get NBCSN to show a TP52 series show against the ACWS show and see which one gets the better ratings. My bet would be on the 52's.

Bummer... racing abandoned for the day. Nice start by Quantum though.

OK, but let's work on it for next season. It would be a neat experiment to get NBCSN to show a TP52 series show against the ACWS show and see which one gets the better ratings. My bet would be on the 52's.

That would be awesome! The quality of the 52 videos is head and shoulders way better than any of the AC stuff. Really professional quality.

[HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO]: Day 2 – EGNOS 52 SUPER SERIES Cascais Cup

Racing starts at 12:30 local time. Three WLs planned to make up for yesterday.

Thanks again, Dan Nixon! Hands down the best video production of the most exciting sailing anywhere...

Win for Q finally in this regatta, 3 points to Azzura, wonder of they can push them back and take the win for the regatta.

Seems like the typical cascais conditions didn't ever fill in.. this would have been a good series to see some of the racing live since especially on the upwinds it seemed the shifty conditions would have given good lessons in managing the race course.

am I wrong, or did they have to give up the idea of a coastal race? Was that because it was too shifty/light?

Also, I love that they already have a countdown clock to Key West.

Full season wrap up video!

Thanks for supporting!

And thanks for sharing dan_dixon - outstanding! And give us a heads up about Key West 52 racing if the vids are this great.

Any chance the 52's would do a series over in the US similar to what the Class 40s do with the Atlantic Cup?

Any chance the 52's would do a series over in the US similar to what the Class 40s do with the Atlantic Cup?

The 52 Super Series 2017 will kick off at Key West race week in January following a regatta in March at Miami. There is a link around somewhere.

These boats cannot go offshore.

They can, they just won't come back!

The boats are strong enough, but the crews won't go because they're f'ing miserable to live on for more than a day. That's part of the reason they faded from their birthplace as TransPac racers and morphed into day sailors in the Med.

The boats are strong enough, but the crews won't go because they're f'ing miserable to live on for more than a day. That's part of the reason they faded from their birthplace as TransPac racers and morphed into day sailors in the Med.

I always though that the TP was for Trans-Pac, but later saw somewhere it was really supposed to be Trans-Portable, since they break down to fit inside standard shipping containers, is that correct?

Early TP52s still cross oceans as they were designed too. Valkyrie has 4 ring frames forward of the mast, it can take some punishment. Ive been down below on newer ones, there is way less structure inside on newer ones. The older ones have some livable space, newer ones not so much. Horses for courses. Want to cross an ocean buy one from pre 2005.

New Interlodge looks sexy. Didn't get to take a pic, but she was out for sea trials yesterday here in the industrial wasteland of Burriana, ESP where Longitude Cero is located.

But this is what I came here to see. Interview with program mgr. and rigger is in the can, just have to wait for permission to release all the info. I expect to drop that podcast by Tuesday. And the boat? Coming to an island near you this winter...keep an eye on WarriorSailing.org for more info.

IMG_6250.JPG.jpg

I always though that the TP was for Trans-Pac, but later saw somewhere it was really supposed to be Trans-Portable, since they break down to fit inside standard shipping containers, is that correct?

There are a couple of the older ones that do SH every year. But yeah, were supposed to be a Transpac class boat but other than maybe 2001 or 03 not many have raced it. The boats ship via cradles on deck with a container or three for sails, gear, workshop, etc.

Without going back through the history the class was originally meant for a "TransPac" type of racing. If I'm not mistaken Bill Lee was involved from the get go. The concept was more like Bill's SC52s and teh ilk. The class morphed into the day sailor boats we have now. Well, we've had for quite some time. It's the glamour class these days but I don't mind as it's a pretty deep and strong class.

Is there any way we can get coverage of these events similar to the wmrt stuff. Good commentary, good camera work, streamed live. It is about the only thing I would get up for in the middle of the night to watch.

I wouldn't call it a 'day sailor class'. Up here in the Northwest we have 4 52's and a couple SC70's that compete in various middle distance and offshore races (Vic Maui).

I know NZ has a pretty vibrant 'fast 50' class that stems from older TP52's and there's a similar situation in Australia..all these boats are raced offshore and inshore to my knowledge.

So yes the Super Series is an inshore 'day sailing class' but the TP52 itself persists as a buoy, middle distance, and offshore racer.

Early TP52s still cross oceans as they were designed too. Valkyrie has 4 ring frames forward of the mast, it can take some punishment. Ive been down below on newer ones, there is way less structure inside on newer ones. The older ones have some livable space, newer ones not so much. Horses for courses. Want to cross an ocean buy one from pre 2005.

When they modified the keel did they just remove ballast or shift the weight aft a touch as well?

Is there any way we can get coverage of these events similar to the wmrt stuff. Good commentary, good camera work, streamed live. It is about the only thing I would get up for in the middle of the night to watch.

I think they are working on it but need sponsorship dollars to make it fly for all regattas.

When they modified the keel did they just remove ballast or shift the weight aft a touch as well?

We moved cg aft and made bulb lighter. Valkyrie has a current ORC club cert with all the changes. She comes in lighter than the other three tp52s in the neighborhood.

Which boat is Valkyrie? Is it a 2005 Botin Carkeek boat?

Valkyrie is the ex Braveheart. It's a 2003 Bakewell-White

Smoke is the 2005 botin/carkeek boat.

Amazing the size that 52 runner winches have grown to be. These boats and masts are so stiff that you can put just insane headstay loads on them - and you need to be able to get to that load quickly tack to tack.

Amazing the size that 52 runner winches have grown to be. These boats and masts are so stiff that you can put just insane headstay loads on them - and you need to be able to get to that load quickly tack to tack.

Im on an 06/07 TP52 right at this moment drilling holes and installing Ropeyes. (Not a bad job for a sailmaker under instruction..)

They sure do go offshore. 10 x TP's were entered in last years Hobart and I think 6 or 7 this year.

We only have the Headstay ring frame forward of the Mast/Main Bulkhead.

Keel structure secondary bonding was increased a bit and a Heavier Bulb. (I believe the new boats only use a primary bond with no secondary under ISO)

Nothing major. Biggest thing is waterproofing. You wear the wet weather gear downstairs as its wetter than upstairs!

I believe the new boats as seeing about 7.5t forestay loads. Older boats see 5-6t

What can I say, the guy that pays the bills wants wheels? Sometimes, and it's smart..you listen to the guy that pays the bills, otherwise no program.

What can I say, the guy that pays the bills wants wheels? Sometimes, and it's smart..you listen to the guy that pays the bills, otherwise no program.

ya know... of all the answers you could have given this was probably the best. +1

I'd give my left nut to sail on one of those, wheels or tiller, would make not matter to me....

Having just raced the last two SS event's I'd suggest you keep that left nut.

You had a bad time or what?

They can, they just won't come back!

Well played.

Thanks for the update and reminder dan_dixon. I'm sure a lot of will be watching this with keen interest. It's a few days out yet but is there real weather poobah's making any prognostication? Maybe Key West has it's regular weather but the rest of NA is suffering with a lot of weirdness weather wise.

i will definitely be watching!

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 1 – 52 SUPER SERIES at the Quantum Key West Race Week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGSkY4KoZDw&feature=youtu.be

Racing from 11:00 EST again today.

Andi Robertson is fucking top notch ;-) if only he was the voice of that race in bermuda.....what's it called??

Andi Robertson is fucking top notch ;-) if only he was the voice of that race in bermuda.....what's it called??

He's become quite the ham lately. Not sure of anything going-on in Bermuda at the moment...

I get "this video has been deleted by the user". (watching from the Netherlands)

will try later on again

The sad part is that the media still will pay more attention to TTPKATAC (The Travesty Previously Known As The America's Cup) than to the best big boat racing nowadays.

Platoon sure smoked two down the middle first day out!

And Video removed by user here too, looking in from Pom Rock.

here's another link to the video that at least as of 12:10 is working:

thanks that worked!

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 2 – 52 SUPER SERIES at Quantum Key West Race Week

Live TV starts today at 10:40 EST. Enjoy!

What's the Rolex connection? Are they buying into the class? That would be awesome - as long as they don't foist their "spirit of yachting" style media onto the fleets and the events.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 2 – 52 SUPER SERIES at Quantum Key West Race Week

Live TV starts today at 10:40 EST. Enjoy!

Is there a link to the live tv feed?

Interesting that the superyacht belonging to the owner of Synergy is hanging out there in the background. Possible interest in returning to the class? Or maybe just a charter for the Bronenosec money man to watch his guys sailing?

Any questions for the guys in the studio?

Not for me Daniel. You are doing a great job. I'm sharing the vids etc with the crew I presently race with and other locals sailors as it's blowing 40 today and raining sideways. You are coverage a treat looking at the race course there. Looks like it's getting a little soft though.

Stuart Streuli much much chattier and good at adding color to otherwise dead air.

Is it possible to overlay the VirtualEye tracker in the corner of the live video from the water rather than putting it up for the whole screen? Virtualeye is nice but when we have mark roundings it's much more interesting to see the boats. For instance, Interlodge threw a luff on that last top mark rounding and all we saw was the VE version after the camera had been on In