• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

If that is what they do to a brand new boat during their first race... I wonder what is planned for their second race

Techie question... Would the hitting of the runner winch reduced the damage to Gladiator?

If that is what they do to a brand new boat during their first race... I wonder what is planned for their second race

Techie question... Would the hitting of the runner winch reduced the damage to Gladiator?

Probably one of the strongest points on the boat. If it had been towards the bow section....yikes..

I wanna know who the main trimmer was.

That wheel turning into string is kinda funny tho ..... no?

The wheel pedestal whipping around like rubber is pretty wild also.

That wheel turning into string is kinda funny tho ..... no?

The wheel pedestal whipping around like rubber is pretty wild also.

It's pretty amazing how much elasticity is built into that steering pedestal.

From the looks of how far the boom travels when they tack, the main was eased. Didn't dump enough mainshret or ease it soon enough. Can't imagine what the damage to Gladiator would have been like had they not hit right at the runner winch.

That seriously sucks for a brand new boat. But, how does a series allow you to start racing with one boat, and allow you to take out your spare. Seems a bit odd. If that is the new rule, than fuck, if its windly ill bring out boat B, if its light, bring out boat A made out of nothing.

Like dart (sprit) going for bullseye (center of wheel).

That was a spectacular shot.

Thank god the sprit took out the wheel and not someone's rib cage. No wonder the helm looked shaken up.

That seriously sucks for a brand new boat. But, how does a series allow you to start racing with one boat, and allow you to take out your spare. Seems a bit odd. If that is the new rule, than fuck, if its windly ill bring out boat B, if its light, bring out boat A made out of nothing.

How is it different from requesting permission from the Race Committee to use a replacement spinnaker for the remainder of a regatta if you've shredded your measured in spinnaker beyond reasonable repair in the time available? At the RC's discretion surely.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 1 – 52 SUPER SERIES Miami Royal Cup

Racing starts at 11:30 EST today. 2 WL Races planned, 100-130 degrees at 10-14 kts. 14:00 anticipated finish time. Live tracking on the website and app. Live TV from tomorrow onward.

All boats were out early today (6:30-7:30). Gladiator are expected to return in their old boat tomorrow, and Sled are attempting to compete in the second race today, if they can get out in time.

Enjoy!

If I'm seeing it correctly, the steering pedestal bends about 60° before the wheel pops off and the pedestal snaps back. Huge amount of energy stored in that. Surprised helmsman was not seriously injured.

nicely edited video, shot lengths didnt play completely to the ADD peeps... although some could have stood to be a little longer.

Innovative tacking technique by the Sled helmsman. Hitch your bowsprit to a convenient attachment point on a competitor and allow their momentum to pull you around. Upside is, it requires a minimum of effort in turning the wheel - all the work done for you! Downside is it's illegal and likely to result in disqualification. Competitor may protest.

well now they know where the weak part of the steering system is, they can take carbon out elsewhere and make it lighter :lol:

So, kids, you like gladiator movies?

Eh,

Yup.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Helmsman is lucky to have both his ankles.

My buddy and fellow Canuckian, Ross McDonald, was with the program in Florida as tactician and doing well but looking at the roster in the 52 Super Series he's not here. Thinks that make you go......hmmm. Crap - I was at an C of L with him and I forgot to ask him.

And that was going to leave a mark on both boats.

The Helmsman on Sled should be penalised. There is no excuse for that one, he had clear vision. The conspiracy theorists might suggest it was deliberate? Just saying... :blink:

The Helmsman on Sled should be penalised. There is no excuse for that one, he had clear vision. The conspiracy theorists might suggest it was deliberate? Just saying... :blink:

From the boom end cam video it looked like Sled was thinking about trying to cross, abandoned that idea and began to duck but it looks like a puff caught them without enough main out then, bang!

Cutting it a little bit close? Obviously, but maybe it's not all on the helm, maybe somebody was coaching him from the low side about the cross while at the same time the helm was on the high side and could not see Gladiator until they popped out from behind the sails to close to bear off behind.

It also seemed like the guys on Gladiator were taken by surprise to see Sled pop out from under the main.

Not sure about the math of speed vs distance for this exact situation but at those speeds it seems like 1 or 2 seconds was all that separated the boats from good sailing and disaster.

From the boom end cam video it looked like Sled was thinking about trying to cross, abandoned that idea and began to duck but it looks like a puff caught them without enough main out then, bang!

Cutting it a little bit close? Obviously, but maybe it's not all on the helm, maybe somebody was coaching him from the low side about the cross while at the same time the helm was on the high side and could not see Gladiator until they popped out from behind the sails to close to bear off behind.

It also seemed like the guys on Gladiator were taken by surprise to see Sled pop out from under the main.

Not sure about the math of speed vs distance for this exact situation but at those speeds it seems like 1 or 2 seconds was all that separated the boats from good sailing and disaster.

Yeah plenty of logic in that but it appeared they all had clear vision of the starboard boat. This is not Wednesday night racing, TP52 super series level of sailing would suggest Sled had a massive Epic Fail. IN F1 racing a considerable penalty would be incurred. I presume Sled will pay for all damages. All's well that ends well but the pole could have easily harpooned someone...Shit Happens I suppose

Come on..... we got past this situation racing J/24's in the 90's.

Same guys on the boats just now the boats cost more. A last second 'duck' or a crash 'tack' would have the same $$$ result. Your going thru them or your going to lock rigs. The call and mistake happened about 40 seconds before the impact.

Come on..... we got past this situation racing J/24's in the 90's.

Same guys on the boats just now the boats cost more. A last second 'duck' or a crash 'tack' would have the same $$$ result. Your going thru them or your going to lock rigs. The call and mistake happened about 40 seconds before the impact.

Locking rigs is certainly the more expensive option....

SS rig and rigging is 360k NZL. Paprec is looking at that number. No insurance company will pay up on either situation but what is best for the boat is the rig being replaced and get a new one vs. having to rebuild what Gladiator/Interlodge just happened. It's just a sad thing to happen all in one week.

Looks like they were all approaching lay line. Someone get a little trigger happy on loading the leeward runner winch and pinning the main in?

While the rudders are very efficient the air rudder can overpower the water rudder at will in those wind speeds. With no main ease/vang off etc. the rudder will only turn the boat so much.

Waiting for a rules expert to argue that Gladiator was equally at fault . .

In 3 . . 2 . . 1 . .

In 3 . . 2 . . 1 . .

I'd start by holding your breath...

In 3 . . 2 . . 1 . .

lol.

In 3 . . 2 . . 1 . .

lol.

lol +1 ......... how is he doing ?

Not quite up to the KW coverage but still great to watch.

First lap, the video (live vs VS) was out of sync with the action and the commentator. Examples, the top mark clusterfuck was commentated but was shown on VS (which has a time delay). Similarly, on the first downwind, there was a crossing of Azzurra and Provezza that was excitedly commentated but shown on VS.

I also think the camera work was not up to the high standards you set at KW. Maybe a little rust and can't wait for tomorrow.

Thanks for the efforts.

In 3 . . 2 . . 1 . .

lol.

Gladiator at fault; failure to avoid, failure to maintain a proper watch etc.

In 3 . . 2 . . 1 . .

lol.

Gladiator at fault; failure to avoid, failure to maintain a proper watch etc.

No, just no

Those video links do not lead to anything other than the AP. I could not watch live, is there a way to watch the race replay?

I agree. Let him sail a Laser from now on to get used to sailing a boat with an undersized rudder.

As long as it isn't MY Laser...

I agree. Let him sail a Laser from now on to get used to sailing a boat with an undersized rudder.

As long as it isn't MY Laser...

Laser rudder's are not undersized. This is not a rudder issue, this is an ease the main issue. Main>Rudder

Really great stuff Dan...we had a room of non sailors pretty well interested in the action, even with the light stuff today.

Really great stuff Dan...we had a room of non sailors pretty well interested in the action, even with the light stuff today.

We're getting there!

1f3a5.png HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 4 – 52 SUPER SERIES Miami Royal Cup

https://www.facebook.com/52SuperSeries/videos/1607033165973833/

Racing due to start at 13:00 with last possible start at around 15:00 I believe. Will be confirmed later.

By the way, is there a way to embed these Facebook videos instead of just linking? It's possible on the SA website, but can't see how to do it here.

Embed code:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F52SuperSeries%2Fvideos%2F1607033165973833%2F&show_text=0&width=560"width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Outstanding Dan - Thank you!

Dan - the forums do not allow HTML posting by non admins, for obvious reasons, and it appears we do not yet have a plugin for FB embed codes like we do for vimeo and youtube.

Racing has just started on the final day of the 52 SUPER SERIES Miami Royal Cup. Tune into 52 SUPER SERIES TV Powered by Quantum Sails via the website or open up the app. Check back at the end of racing for a very special Facebook LIVE broadcast with the sailors as they get ashore, and of course... the #champagnemoment.

A couple of pics from Miami today:

post-43532-0-25183400-1489291176_thumb.jpg

I noticed how some boats had their pedestal orientation different then others, with at least 3 variations.

post-43532-0-21825700-1489291193_thumb.jpg

Jury decision for those that are interested in Gladiator's redress. Gladiator was given redress in all races she missed due to bringing the old red boat and completing this regatta.

Boats lining-up, pre-start:

post-43532-0-79238100-1489291561_thumb.jpg

Winners circle:

post-43532-0-05892600-1489291530_thumb.jpg

It was a very interesting day, Dan, Andi, Lars, and the video crew were more than cordial and even allowed me to watch the last race, and their work, from right there alongside the production truck. It takes quite a bit more than I anticipated to stream the race so hopefully the audience numbers justify it to the series. The director and his team work very much like the helm, tactician, and strategist on one of the boats, constantly communicating between themselves, the camera operators, and Andi & Stu on who and when to talk. Quite an operation. I, for one, thanked them for their efforts.

It would have been very easy for the them to just say "hey, buzz off, we're busy here" but they were generous with their time.

More on Gladiator: speaking with their shore crew and Ed B. the red boat was stripped. Mast was just the tube with no rigging, the rudder was out, winches were broken-down, and they were ready to pull the keel for trucking up to Charleston. So it was more than throw the stick in and splash the boat. Then they had a 70 mile motor-sail down the coast, engine and jib. She will be delivered on her own bottom to Charleston, the old burgundy boat is being readied for sailing in England this summer, and the molds are already in production to repair the black boat. She is in West Palm waiting to be stripped and placed on a freighter to the builders for the repair work, then on to Scarlino for the Worlds.

Lots of work ahead for this team, who were already looking at a busy schedule with what they had on tap through the summer.

Dan - the forums do not allow HTML posting by non admins, for obvious reasons, and it appears we do not yet have a plugin for FB embed codes like we do for vimeo and youtube.

Has it been added, or something for the future? Facebook is 10x more powerful than YouTube from a marketing perspective right now. Hence why I would rather post FB links than a nice YouTube embedded video.

Has it been added, or something for the future? Facebook is 10x more powerful than YouTube from a marketing perspective right now. Hence why I would rather post FB links than a nice YouTube embedded video.

Don't offer advise to Clean or Ed. They are gods and know more than any of us mortals.

Did they mention the summer schedule for the Red boat?

East coast Charleston, New York, and I think Newport IIRC.

I think it needs to go to Europe now due the cockpit of the other boat being rebuilt at Longitude Cero

Yes, New York, the capital of sailboat racing...

A couple more observations:

Water depth in the marina was a concern with the boats having just a couple of feet under the keels until out towards the main channel. (we're used to that in Tampa Bay) The shore crews docked-out with the sailing crew coming aboard later.

post-43532-0-11702200-1489330031_thumb.jpg

The boats tip-toeing out to the channel, only at a couple of knots rate.

post-43532-0-31188900-1489330053_thumb.jpg

Traffic jam docking-in, a private motorboat jammed things up as Platoon was lining-up to back in. Gladiator's guy motored back at about 10 knots into the slip, hitting the brakes just at the last moment before nailing the dock.

post-43532-0-79710400-1489330075_thumb.jpg

While the racing was going-on the shore crews were working on sails and, since it was the last day, prepping the containers for packing.

Don't offer advise to Clean or Ed. They are gods and know more than any of us mortals.

Hmmm....I thought I got it here or maybe it was pasted into a separate browser page. In any event thanks Dan and I saw your work on Wastebook. I "shared" it to my racing/sailing friends. And shared it with a few precious few non sailing friends (sad really - lol) were very happy to see your work. Good on ya!

How about New York Yacht Club events, which are commonly mistaken to be held in New York Harbor.

I think it needs to go to Europe now due the cockpit of the other boat being rebuilt at Longitude Cero

The red boat is staying in the states. Langley has a third 52 in Europe that will be used until the new boat is fixed. The repair work is going to be done at Persico with help from the original build team.

The red boat is staying in the states. Langley has a third 52 in Europe that will be used until the new boat is fixed. The repair work is going to be done at Persico with help from the original build team.

The original 'burgundy' boat is doing Cowes and Round the Island. Black boat going to Scarlino when ready at Perisco, the mold is already being prepared. Red boat as noted above.

Dan,

Appreciate the coverage. Let's get a comment from Clean…so Quantum was first in KW and 4th in Miami, doesn't this suggest that Doug DeVos is better on the helm than Bora? Next time, maybe Doug could work with Bora and provide some tips.

I know who butters the bread, BFCS, let's not ignore anything but what Quantum Racing is doing. A new drinking game endorsed by all makers of alcohol, is to take a shot when you hear Terry Hutchison or whomever is driving QR and get to bank a shot when they mention the tactician or helmsman from any other boat. My guess, you'll be handing over your car keys in about 5 mins.

Great job but please review the coverage and see if you experience the same out of phase I felt between the commentation, VS, and live video.

Thanks again.

How about New York Yacht Club events, which are commonly mistaken to be held in New York Harbor.

Soooo. Where was I wrong? 'New York then Newport".....

HHN?

If they want to compete. The new boat and the red boat go to the med. The new boat cannot be fixed before the next event.

If they want to compete. The new boat and the red boat go to the med. The new boat cannot be fixed before the next event.

I am just going with what one of the boat crew told me when discussing all the work they had on their hands and how the repair was adding to the already busy schedule.