• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

475 posts in this topic

Pretty interesting watching the Terry Hutch tactician video. A lot going on.

was it me or did it seem like downwind Bora never looked away from the instruments?

was it me or did it seem like downwind Bora never looked away from the instruments?

Hard to say, he did not move hardly at all except for the gybes.

Yep, dead flat water and relatively steady breeze so game plan would have to be to minimise rudder movement and stay nailed to target angles unless tactician calls otherwise.

Yep, dead flat water and relatively steady breeze so game plan would have to be to minimise rudder movement and stay nailed to target boatspeed unless tactician calls otherwise.

FIFY

Boatspeed is the angle.

I get that but at a specified angle the trimmers work with helm dude to deliver boatspeed.

Would try to focus on the bow, luff of the kite, AWA, and check in on boatspeed vs target

Good job Bora, was a great video to watch and learn.

Would try to focus on the bow, luff of the kite, AWA, and check in on boatspeed vs target

First boat arrived in Scarlino ( tuscany , Italy )

a39688545120551.jpg 75e7cc545120628.jpg

and first chase boat

319656545121621.jpg

Can confirm it was stripped, packed up, and shipped out of newport this spring.

It was sold to Hasso. Headed to the Med for two IRC/ORR events then to Cape Town,

First boat arrived in Scarlino ( tuscany , Italy )

a39688545120551.jpg 75e7cc545120628.jpg

and first chase boat

319656545121621.jpg

anyone know what's up with the D 1's in the photo here on Provezza ? Not the ordinary kite-protector kinda thing. Also, with no more dog-house whats going on below deck, is it a total hobbit farm or what ? Can you even stand up in this new generation of boat ?

Dya mean the D2s? Possibly they have that southern razor technology and are looking to try and keep chafe from halyards or something down when the boats not in race mode.

There's more headroom in the modern 52's than previous generations- the doghouse was ditched in favor of more freeboard to achieve the required volume of the box rule.

Just now, Puntone said:

Just a protection for working and carrying

To day first sea trials in scarlino

f5b8bc548264827.jpg aa474e548264869.jpg 62bafe548264913.jpg c850af548265092.jpg d42ae8548265218.jpg babef1548265285.jpg 21b92e548265357.jpg

Gladiator black is on the water and sailing today. Heck of a job by that team.

Seahorse story CC'd on front page about collision in Miami.  They say this is the first since 2010, but I remember from last season that was similar, in that they had a backup boat, and the prod of one tore the wheel out of the helmsmans hands.  Did they forget that one, or what?

49 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Seahorse story CC'd on front page about collision in Miami.  They say this is the first since 2010, but I remember from last season that was similar, in that they had a backup boat, and the prod of one tore the wheel out of the helmsmans hands.  Did they forget that one, or what?

That is the crash the article is referencing - it was the first event of this season.

^^ 2nd, after Key West. The boat sailed as Interlodge in KW and then KO'd as Gladiator in Miami.

Will a live stream be available for today ? 

^^ Starts Thursday, that has been the practice since last year.

10 hours ago, HigherIsBetter said:

Will a live stream be available for today ? 

Yes - racing started today.  First race abandoned after 2 legs due to lack of wind.  2nd start was a clean race with Q Racing winning, followed by Platoon and then Azzura

5 hours ago, Ren said:

Yes - racing started today.  First race abandoned after 2 legs due to lack of wind.  2nd start was a clean race with Q Racing winning, followed by Platoon and then Azzura

You can follow the live tracker with commentary until Thursday when the live video stream begins.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 1 – Rolex TP52 World Championship Scarlino 2017

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 2 – Rolex TP52 World Championship Scarlino 2017

Live TV starts today, 15 min before sailing is due to start. Today is a coastal race due to start at 13:05, warning at 13:00.

where's the link to the live TV?  All i see is virtual eye on the 52 super series page.

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

where's the link to the live TV?  All i see is virtual eye on the 52 super series page.

With it being a coastal race they may be out of live coverage range?  Just a guess but I saw some live at the beginning of the race but only virtual for the last bit

They show live views when the boats are within range, then VE when down the coast. Should be all live W/L from tomorrow on.

Also looks like they have Jenny Tulloch doing the on-the-water commentary. Should be 100% live stream tomorrow.

1 hour ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Also looks like they have Jenny Tulloch doing the on-the-water commentary. Should be 100% live stream tomorrow.

Jenny also does all the social media as well.  ( I am not a social or a media person but that's what she told me). 

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 3 – Rolex TP52 World Championship Scarlino 2017

Really good racing today with the live feed, the Gladiator boat is fast when they get it going in the right direction, two bullets overall for the repaired boat. Platoon keep hanging in there holding the lead without a race win.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 4 – Rolex TP52 World Championship Scarlino 2017.

2 x WL Races planned, first warning at 13:00 CEST. Enjoy!

thanks for all the postings! also really enjoyed the tech tours. the video's from the TP52 circuit are definitely the best around! especially enjoy the around the race videos on sails, tech etc. everything that makes this class go. The racing is also quite close, which keeps it exciting

Great for Platoon to win the regatta without a bullet - pure consistency under pressure.

Amazing curl up and die effort from Q Racing in race 8, just goes to show that at this level the margins for error are miniscule and psychology matters.  Their speed looked fine, they just didn't get it together on the line or upwind.  Allowed themselves to get caught to leeward of Platoon unable to tack away for a large slice of the first leg.   Will be interesting to see how T Hutch reports this one in Seahorse, and a great learning opportunity for everyone if he's frank about what went screwy on the day.  

Awesome effort from Ran to take a penalty on the start line then finish 3rd in that hot a fleet, Gladiator also looked like making an epic comeback from a disastrous start until a tack line clip gave way at the hoist on the final leg.

If Langley can get where he starts consistently on the front row, watch out. I watched them from time-to-time and that boat was the fastest one out there, looking good against the JV boats in the breeze today.

Q looked like they were in good shape at the start but looked slow going up the leg, hanging even somewhat with Platoon for a while until Alegre(?) pinched out ahead of them and forced them out. Interesting that they said TH was starting and driving quite a bit, wonder what's up about that? I think the 3-boat program is paying dividends even if it is taking it from Q's pocket.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 5 – Rolex TP52 World Championship Scarlino 2017

Thanks for watching!!

FULL HIGHLIGHTS: Rolex TP52 World Championship Scarlino 2017

PREVIEW: Porto Cervo 52 SUPER SERIES Audi Sailing Week

Racing starts on 21st June!

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 1 Porto Cervo 52 SUPER SERIES Audi Sailing Week

I did not realize the racing was so early, checked-in before starting work and race 2 for the day was done. Will have to re-set the alarm for tomorrow morning.

FULL HIGHLIGHTS: Porto Cervo 52 SUPER SERIES Audi Sailing Week

3 hours ago, dan_nixon said:

FULL HIGHLIGHTS: Porto Cervo 52 SUPER SERIES Audi Sailing Week

Great Job Dan - thanks for sharing. And just so you know I am sharing all of this on Wastebook to even non sailors/racers so it's getting seen.

Really enjoyed the racing, except for that part in the last race when Q broke their headstay.

3 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Really enjoyed the racing, except for that part in the last race when Q broke their headstay.

that and Andy loosing his rig at the start of a race. 

13 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Great Job Dan - thanks for sharing. And just so you know I am sharing all of this on Wastebook to even non sailors/racers so it's getting seen.

Thanks Maxx, every single like, comment and share helps! Our reach is getting greater and greater at each regatta... strong possibility of Live TV in Portals ;-)

7 hours ago, dan_nixon said:

Thanks Maxx, every single like, comment and share helps! Our reach is getting greater and greater at each regatta... strong possibility of Live TV in Portals ;-)

Yes, tell them I said it was OK. I think I have broken my 'like' button on 52 posts...

PREVIEW: Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week 

Live TV from Day 3!!

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 1 – Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

Live TV starts tomorrow, but today we will be streaming a 3D Virtual Eye feed with commentary through the website and the app.

cool! thanks for all the updates! really enjoying it. I've been watching a lot through Facebook. really great footage and awesome to see the behind the scenes and talks. 

I have got to figure-out how to arrange my work schedule around the 52's sailing schedule. They expect me to show-up right when the racing is starting.

Thanks Dan for the FB updates so I can follow-up on the action during the morning. Might not be much work getting done Weds.  to Friday...

quantum-stripes.jpg

Jesus, how long will Quantum Racing continue to assault our eyes with this failed pseudo-psychedelic boat and sail graphic design? It was played out after one season. They certainly win their share, but they have failed to get any of the top boats to switch to their sails…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well except the current TP52 World Champion (Platoon) and boats with Qs are currently two out of the top three in the overall standings....  

Keep up the great editorial work.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 2 – Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

Live TV starts today!

Top 5 teams...3 points.  Pretty fackin good racing.  We should all be there...

I cannot figure out what is going-on with Gladiator. They have the newest Botin boat, won some races and were showing improvement, have Ed B. calling tactics, but drop boats right and left at the corners. That is if they get a good start.

I root for them somewhat especially after the heroic effort in Miami when they had to pull the red boat out and thrash it together and salvage the regatta, along with the rest of what the crew told me they had on their full plate.

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 3 – Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

Live TV again today, and it's getting better with each regatta!

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 5 – Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

That took a while to post, Dan. Out partying with the Provezza guys?

I have never seen a 52 regatta with the scores so high across the board with every boat having not one but multiple bad races that kept the fleet scores compact. Great series in Puerto Portals. I think I saw 3,000 viewers at one time.

We are getting a new screen for our HD video projector and speaking with the commodore mentioned the 52 livestream and replays that we should show on it like during our Thursday nights when everybody is around waiting on scores.

Now, if I could have just won the trip to the regatta....

On 7/27/2017 at 2:05 AM, ~HHN92~ said:

I cannot figure out what is going-on with Gladiator. They have the newest Botin boat, won some races and were showing improvement, have Ed B. calling tactics, but drop boats right and left at the corners. That is if they get a good start.

I root for them somewhat especially after the heroic effort in Miami when they had to pull the red boat out and thrash it together and salvage the regatta, along with the rest of what the crew told me they had on their full plate.

Thanks for the nod HHN92, yup, we had issues this last regatta, predominantly light to medium air event, we should have been launched. Problems on multiple levels, frustrating but we're a team and only with self belief does the team grow. Looking forward to a break and getting our teeth into the last event in Mahon.  The last night party was pretty damn fun, so yes there were a number of dusty boys and girls this morning! The black bus will be back and charging in Mahon, til then, enjoy the highlight reels.

3 hours ago, bigquinny said:

Thanks for the nod HHN92, yup, we had issues this last regatta, predominantly light to medium air event, we should have been launched. Problems on multiple levels, frustrating but we're a team and only with self belief does the team grow. Looking forward to a break and getting our teeth into the last event in Mahon.  The last night party was pretty damn fun, so yes there were a number of dusty boys and girls this morning! The black bus will be back and charging in Mahon, til then, enjoy the highlight reels.

Go get 'em and we will be watching-out for you.

FULL HIGHLIGHTS: Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

PREVIEW: Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

Live TV from Thursday through to Saturday. Enjoy!

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 1 – Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

Live TV starts tomorrow, for today, a rendered virtual eye feed will be broadcast, as well as the usual interactive version. There are 3x WLs planned to start from 11:00. 

HIGHLIGHTS VIDEO: Day 2 – Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week

Live TV starts today at 11:45!

I'm totally flipping out with the 360 videos...

Another one, you can move the camara at will and see every detail of each maneuver, Awesome!