Where exactly did you guys sail in Sib? It's a bit of a ways out that channel from Mandalina to the throat, and even then theres only the narrow water to the south or going farther west from there

47 minutes ago, ASP said:

the front(sprit) fell off?

Yeah, check out the latest Facebook post, it has a photo of the moment of impact, plus the damage to the two boats 

Thanks again, Dan Nixon, for linking the videos!!

Awesome boats!  Way cooler that 12 meters, J Boats, AC foilers, and even the new Fast 40 circuit!!

No probs! But if the posts are getting spammy, just let me know. I think everyone probably knows by now that the clips are always on Facebook...

Anyway, here's Day 3:

• Like 2

Keep 'em coming. That 2nd race today got really interesting, other than Phoenix you did not know who was doing what for large portions of the legs. Lots of hero's to zero's.

But for one bad race Phoenix was there. Way better coverage than the Volvo, they talk too much over there...

• Like 1

I watched the latest broadcasts at the weekend and it was awesome having the live coverage as well as the tracker.

2 things came to mind for feedback;

1. more reliable link with Genny on the water - it sounded like it was a skype link last time?? 

2. Comparing this to the recent cycling commentary on Eurosport - which I think is a current benchmark for sports coverage, particularly Matt Stephens - there is a lot less 'background' information at hand - the team on Eurosport have an awesome amount of data on previous race positions, course/event statistics, rider bio etc that keeps a constant flow of commentary and also gives a real depth to the coverage. I would imagine this would be fairly straightforward to achieve to for the Super Series commentary and would offer a lot of information that is otherwise pretty hard for regular followers to get hold of ;

Crew members of each team, years/months on board of each team member, previous experience of each crew member and their background/route to the 52s, other racing each crew member does, how each team came to exist, breakdown of responsibilities on board (particularly for each maneuver) and also of the shore crews, typical 'off-day' routine of the shore crew, changes in each iteration for boat for each team (how they've developed over the past season and continue to do so).....

The eurosport presenters often post on social media showing their pages of lists and notebooks with various highlighting and annotation for each day/stage of the race - it's pretty impressive stuff. I realise would be fairly time consuming to put together the data for the first time but, in my opinion at least, it would raise the bar a whole extra level for the commentary because when, for example, there are some long upwind tacks with little crossing or lane changing then the commentary can keep rolling and add extra layers of detail for the viewers...

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

But for one bad race Phoenix was there. Way better coverage than the Volvo, they talk too much over there...

Ha - just read this after posting my reply, looks like we disagree on styles of commentary....

7 hours ago, NZK said:

I watched the latest broadcasts at the weekend and it was awesome having the live coverage as well as the tracker.

2 things came to mind for feedback;

1. more reliable link with Genny on the water - it sounded like it was a skype link last time?? 

2. Comparing this to the recent cycling commentary on Eurosport - which I think is a current benchmark for sports coverage, particularly Matt Stephens - there is a lot less 'background' information at hand - the team on Eurosport have an awesome amount of data on previous race positions, course/event statistics, rider bio etc that keeps a constant flow of commentary and also gives a real depth to the coverage. I would imagine this would be fairly straightforward to achieve to for the Super Series commentary and would offer a lot of information that is otherwise pretty hard for regular followers to get hold of ;

Crew members of each team, years/months on board of each team member, previous experience of each crew member and their background/route to the 52s, other racing each crew member does, how each team came to exist, breakdown of responsibilities on board (particularly for each maneuver) and also of the shore crews, typical 'off-day' routine of the shore crew, changes in each iteration for boat for each team (how they've developed over the past season and continue to do so).....

The eurosport presenters often post on social media showing their pages of lists and notebooks with various highlighting and annotation for each day/stage of the race - it's pretty impressive stuff. I realise would be fairly time consuming to put together the data for the first time but, in my opinion at least, it would raise the bar a whole extra level for the commentary because when, for example, there are some long upwind tacks with little crossing or lane changing then the commentary can keep rolling and add extra layers of detail for the viewers...

Wow thanks for such a considered response. I promise I’ll comb through it and consider everything against what is possible for us right now!

3 hours ago, dan_nixon said:

Wow thanks for such a considered response. I promise I’ll comb through it and consider everything against what is possible for us right now!

I’ve got to say, NZK has some good ideas. The rich boat owners aren’t the majority of folks watching the footage, it’s us average folks. Some random interviews with the non-well known crew/shore crew would be cool. 

Regardless, it’s been great coverage and we appreciate it. 

4 hours ago, dan_nixon said:

One request would be for less choppy editing. 

Most of those watching these clips, I suspect, are interested in seeing full maneuvers, aerials of boat-to-boat interactions start to finish, watching the start from at least one minute out, etc.  There's a lot to learn by looking at how these boats are sailed.  So hold that shot a little bit longer while we scan the boat set up or do a fleet count-back.

Particularly interesting would be looking in on a pre-start rig set-up program and weather/strategy/tactician briefing.  These boats are challenging much about what was "common knowledge" about keelboat sailing.  

If you are promoting a place such as Croatia, taking a page from the TdF about a bit of history about the scenes in the opening shots.  

Also using the phrase "Pure Lifestyle" in the intro comes off as more than a bit smug and self-satisfied, given how friggin' rich a TP52 program is.

• Like 2

On the whole, really good coverage.

i echo the thoughts above about a better link to Genny. She’s superb.

Andi’s post race FB lives are good. Nice to see something authentic and not forced.

the drone at the start is really good. Great to see the line. More drone.

And yes, a bit more b-roll of the venues would be very cool. I never had Croatia on my radar screen as a place I’d want to sail, but now after two events I’m trying to figure when to go. Whoever in Croatia that did the deal to bring you there should know their promotional efforts and cash will pay dividends. So do some of that in Cascais.

great job overall.

Only new-builds in tougher racing conditions than experienced so far this season. Who's your money on?

• Like 1

I'll have to go with the Q boat. It's a double-header this week, mornings with the TP's, afternoons with the Governor's Cup out at Balboa YC.

Awesome live coverage today - boats are ripping!

Live coverage is cool, but Genny tulloch commentary is inaudible.   They need to fix that.  I never thought someone could do worse technically than one of Clean’s broadcasts.   I mean wtf?   This is the billionaires club, surely they can sort out proper remote audio. 

The coverage continues to be amazing. So much so that the kids watch the early morning racing before they headed out to Jr sailing for the day. This is the second year that they have done that (proud dad). Keep it up... More Genny with better audio!! 

I tried catching the live stream on YouTube but it says it hasn't when I pull it up. I tried again a hour later and got the same message. Anyone else getting that? 

What are the penalty points?

Results

52 SUPER SERIES Valencia Sailing Week

Race Results & Event Ranking
slide to see more »

Pos   Team R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 R9 R10 Penalty Points Total
  it.png Luna Rossa 6 1 1 3 4 - - - - - - 15
  de.png Platoon 1 4 4 8 1 - - - - - - 18
  it.png Azzurra 2 3 3 5 7 - - - - - - 20
  gb.png Alegre 4 5 5 4 5 - - - - - - 23
  br.png Onda 10 8 2 1 3 - - - - - - 24
  us.png Quantum Racing 8 2 6 6 2 - - - - - - 24