• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gantt

Sailing Anarchy's policy on trolls

47 posts in this topic

What's SA's policy on trolling?

Discussion about the Laser's legal action is now dominated by trolling.

I'm happy for IPLore, Wess, Tiller Man and Gantt (myself) to all be suspended or banned.

I want to discuss the ILCA, and have been trolled for three years on this topic: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=145562&page=1

Here's one of the reactions to trolling by Wess:

Whatever Wess, we all know about your rants about Kirby (which that thread of drivel you started bears out)... ;)

While I am starting this thread, though will limit my own posting here to one post every three days, so that I cannot be accused of dominating the topic.

I am happy to be privately messaged.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

You mean SA has policies? I thought we were in anarchy here seems pretty much anything goes (as long as the other party isn't a millionaire or richer and likely to sue).

Gantt has been given a short time out to allow him to understand the "rules" a bit better and to stop being such a whiney little shit.

Wow!! The "Shoe" has only 30 posts in ten years and Gantt earned one. That is indeed special?!

I think JBSF dropped the ball by leaving Gantt and Doug Lord out of his 64 hole grid.

Ps: Vote for Special Ed!!!!

Define "trolling". I'd go along with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

By that definition, I don't think anyone on the "Blow Torch" thread is trolling. Obsessive, endless, repetitive discussion when there is no news to discuss, sure. Long since left everyone behind except a handful that want to play that game, sure. But not trolling.

Define "trolling". I'd go along with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

By that definition, I don't think anyone on the "Blow Torch" thread is trolling. Obsessive, endless, repetitive discussion when there is no news to discuss, sure. Long since left everyone behind except a handful that want to play that game, sure. But not trolling.

Facts...you want us to look at facts?

Just kidding...as the recipient of some abuse and being accused of being a 'paid troll' and the threat of having my account suspended in a public thread I honestly don't think Gannt can whine too much. He seems to like self flagellation, probably why he is flogging the skeleton of a horse right now....

Gantt has been given a short time out to allow him to understand the "rules" a bit better and to stop being such a whiney little shit.

How about the other three destructive idiots as well?

"paid troll' ...

What is this? Story book ones are. How does that work?

To be tossed just start a shit fight with the ED. .ator Or steam it works.

A sock cull happens here from time to time too.

Tiller, IP and I are not socks AFAIK, LOL. No clue if Gantt is. Bummer if he really is flicked. Never have encountered anyone with such passion, confusion, single minded doggedness, and inability to communicate all at same time. Hope he comes back. He is potentially insightful if he would stop, take the blinders off and think a bit, or funny as hell when not. Long weekend and good weather to go sailing. Chow!

..it doesn't look like Gantt has been flicked.

...the only way a person gets flicked is to 'out' someone's identity,, or make make overt threats or libelous statements.

...if yer want to get flicked,, try calling someone a pedophile :)

Tiller, IP and I are not socks AFAIK, LOL. No clue if Gantt is. Bummer if he really is flicked. Never have encountered anyone with such passion, confusion, single minded doggedness, and inability to communicate all at same time. Hope he comes back. He is potentially insightful if he would stop, take the blinders off and think a bit, or funny as hell when not. Long weekend and good weather to go sailing. Chow!

"Passion, confusion, single minded doggedness and inability to communicate."

You nailed it. That's why we all love him, and why he drives us crazy at the same time.

I wonder if he is the same in real life? Can you imagine working with someone like that?

Anyway. I hope he has not been suspended. Or at least not for long.

I still think he is not beyond redemption.

If only he would listen to other points of view he might be able to male a positive contribution to the discussion.

Who still visits the "torch" thread? they should all be banned.

Seems to be the same small group of people trolling each other, myself included.

The insanity and obnoxiousness in the Torchbthread rarely spills elsewhere.

It is quite simple to ignore.

Folks bother the mods and get tossed when they spread the disease everywhere...

Like starting this thread to bitch about that thread

Congrats, Gantt. You have managed to get 2 threads that are a total waste of space. I wonder who the troll really is.

I would add that while IPLore, Wess, Tiller man and myself don't see eye to eye on the issues, I have zero problems with them, yet you, who comes at the issues from a similar viewpoint to me, I do have a problem with, because of the way you go about your attacks. Seriously, you are the problem, not them.

..it doesn't look like Gantt has been flicked.

...the only way a person gets flicked is to 'out' someone's identity,, or make make overt threats or libelous statements.

...if yer want to get flicked,, try calling someone a pedophile :)

Yeah, but we do have a penalty box you can get stuck in, in this case it sounds like for being too much of a pain in the ass.

in this case it sounds like for being too much of a pain in the ass.

...i this case.... nothing. He was online yesterday evening.

Gantt

Member Since 29 Apr 2013

OFFLINE Last Active Yesterday, 05:06 PM

el zapato describe un corto tiempo de espera y al parecer lo hizo tan

It's three days, not much going on here.

Not really sure if trolling is the right word, but it's the closest to what IPLore and Wess have been doing on the Blowtorch thread for over three years. More recently, have been joined by Tiller Man - and for a while - me (though I've attempted to stop, honest).

This is SimonN, not having a problem with IPLore from ONE post:

• "You [iPLore] seem to want to perpetuate that falsehood"
  • "Are you sure that you aren't involved with LP."
  • "...unless deliberate misinformation is your intent."
  • "This is the biggest distortion of the lot!"
  • "If you don't want to be seen as favouring one side, you need to stop misrepresenting facts and smearing certain parties involved with BK"
What's remarkable, is that in three years - in spite of me being a problem with SimonN, he's never been that harsh with me.

The main troll activity is the making of stupid accusations, like suggestion that I have an inability to communicate, while replying to my communications. (Now that's a special kind of stupid.)

And this, from Gouv, yesterday:
  • Iplore's "answer" to my question really fails to address the question and certainly doesn't answer it.

For me, being subjected to that kind of antic and personal attacks for three years, has worn a teensy weensy bit thin. Maybe trying to discuss a topic that known trolls are dead set against is problematic. Maybe. (Though in a funny kind of way, the trolls have kept me motivated, and I wouldn't have studied the Kirby legal case and the ILCA's fundamental rule change without their trolling.)

I guess I have learnt a lesson - that trolling isn't just acceptable at SA, it appears to be encouraged. And that as a topic deserves to have it's own thread. Or is it 'anything goes' except talking about trolling - or - OMG - the suggestion that trolling gets in the way of more serious discussion.

You should have a word with JBSF, he might be able to give you a wildcard entry into Asshole/Arsehole competition over in PA.

Gantt,

When a debate people are passionate about goes on for this long, AND the available data for debate doesn't change, discourse is bound to turn unpleasant with some % of people. Especially on a place like SA. Look at any thread in PA... no FFS don't look in there.

The torch thread has become the DA equivalent of Stormfront.

For me, being subjected to that kind of antic and personal attacks for three years, has worn a teensy weensy bit thin.

Are you expecting a long service award?

If you are fed up with the thread, stop posting on it. It's of no importance whatsoever.

......When a debate people are passionate about goes on for this long, AND the available data for debate doesn't change, discourse is bound to turn unpleasant with some % of people.......

...yah,, seen tones of that when the VO thread when the newsfeed goes quiet, even on the Rimas thread! :lol:

Troll:

To see an example of trolling, take a look at the discussion about lawnmowers on the blowtorch thread.

Mommy, Scotty, Clean..Its not fair ...sob.......They called me .....sob....they called me a ...sob...a Lawn mower!

post-13399-0-21068500-1468348126_thumb.jpg

Sheeesh....it is posters like this who really make me miss Lesbian Robot.

I am sorry if this caustic, vulgar and wounding post offended the sensibilities of Gantt

Smart Like Lawn Mower (aka Gantt),

Even a dim witted casual reader like me who is not really following this thread on a daily basis understood what Wess and IPLore were saying. As I understood it, Wess was saying that after the contracts expired, the only incentive for a builder to renew the contract was the class rule.

IPL was saying Bruce was being paid when the contracts were sold to Global sailing and had a contract that guaranteed some royalties until 2025. But Global sailing did something to damage the contractual relationship. I thought I understood Wess and IPL until you jumped in.

The thread went something like this:

Wess: So if I understand this right, after the contract expires in 2025, it would only be renewed if Class kept the class rule

Smart Like Lawn Mower: No. You are wrong.

Wess: Huh?

SLLM: The contract is in perpetuity unless terminated.

Wess: Doesn't it say it expires in 2025 unless renewed.

SLLM : You are wrong. Dont you understand the difference between expired and terminated. The European contract terminates in 2025.

IPLore : Expired and terminated are the same. It is the North American contract that expires in 2025. The European contract expired in 2004 and was renewed annually since then.

SLLM: IPLore and Wess are wrong. So is Tillerman. RMK and Dex awash are wrong, so is Simon. In fact you are all wrong, except me. I am right.

:huh:

I also did not mean to give any offense to lawn mowers or the good people who service lawn mowers.

Although Gantt may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, I am sure that he is sharp enough to cut grass. I would like to categorically clarify any misconception that Gantt is not as smart as a lawn mower.

I must admit I was amused by IPLore's witty remark that his lawnmower knows more about the law than Gantt.

And I confess I had a chuckle when EYESAILOR coined the title SLLM - Smart Like Lawn Mower for Gantt.

I am sorry if my sense of humor and responses to these jokes offended the sensibilities of Gantt.

Although Gantt makes stuff up, and tells lies about everyone else on the thread, and has extremely poor reading comprehension and written communication skills, I would just like to clarify that I don't agree that IPLore's lawnmower knows more about the law than Gantt. I think Gantt knows just as much about the law as IPLore's lawnmower.

I must admit I was amused by IPLore's witty remark that his lawnmower knows more about the law than Gantt.

And I confess I had a chuckle when EYESAILOR coined the title SLLM - Smart Like Lawn Mower for Gantt.

I am sorry if my sense of humor and responses to these jokes offended the sensibilities of Gantt.

Although Gantt makes stuff up, and tells lies about everyone else on the thread, and has extremely poor reading comprehension and written communication skills, I would just like to clarify that I don't agree that IPLore's lawnmower knows more about the law than Gantt. I think Gantt knows just as much about the law as IPLore's lawnmower.

Can you give one example where Gantt has been right and the lawnmower has been wrong? Just one?

NO......I thought not.

Can you give examples where Gantt was wrong?

Ah ha!

No-one's going to know who's right or wrong unless more evidence turns up. Meanwhile Gantt, irritating as he can be too, isn't the one troll-spamming the topic with tons of pointless junk.

No-one's going to know who's right or wrong unless more evidence turns up. Meanwhile Gantt, irritating as he can be too, isn't the one troll-spamming the topic with tons of pointless junk.

Are you the weed wacker to his lawn mower? If you are concerned with pointless junk and are measuring by volume we should give the award to Gantt. Nobody has posted more pointless junk on that thread. The same inaccuracies over and over. I am surprised at the patience of some of those posting good information there have had with him. You don't need evidence to debunk Gantt, just a brain.

It seems the new thing is videos in posts. Gantt and Jim, I recommend you find a brain between the two of you and HTFU.

First, a little history

Tiller Man contributed to the 'Lasers - Applying a Blow Torch' thread, and debated earnestly in defense of the ILCA. When it became apparent that two ILCA officials had made false statements in relation to a rule change in 2011, rather than accept that and move forward, Tiller Man increased personal attacks against Gantt (me). Over the last few months, Tiller Man has sustained made a large volume of personal attacks against me, even located me on Facebook and sent a friend invitation. Examples of the nature of Tiller man's attacks can be evidenced above in this thread, with his post today. It has been a tactic of Tiller Man to accuse me of lying (among other things) without citing examples of saying how.

It's clear that Wess and Tiller Man have repeatedly harassed or made fun of me online. I admit to have responded in kind from time to time. On page 40 of the 'Lasers - Applying a Blow Torch' thread, 63% of all posts were made by Wess and Tiller Man, page 39 was 58%. The vast majority of their posts are off topic.

Here's the problem

Real people are making the posts, and real people are reading them. In the case of Tiller Man and myself, our real identities are known, and both of us can be located in real life. The problem is that the impacts of these kind of antics have been proven to spill over into real life. Mainstream media have reported suicides resulting from cyberbullying - but it does not stop there. There are already cases where libellous language has ended up in court: http://goo.gl/B3xYft

In several studies, violent crime linked to online activities of this time - namely when someone repeatedly harasses, mistreats, or makes fun of another person online. http://goo.gl/v3UYBn

Others join in the fray, as Eyesailor and LMI have done above, again proven to be a factor in escalating the situation both online and in real life.

Can Sailing Anarchy staff be held responsible?

Back in 2010, three executives from Google were successfully prosecuted for content posted on YouTube. The prosecution was successfully overturned on appeal. https://goo.gl/hczaxb

Here's an example where Facebook staff were reportedly investigated for a suicide: http://goo.gl/iiBlaF

I don't think that Sailing Anarchy staff can be held responsible under current laws, and have been unable to locate any case that shows how. What I can find is an increasing trend of tougher, more restrictive laws, enforcement officers increasingly prepared to investigate and press charges. There is also a greater number of civil cases.

First, a little history

Tiller Man contributed to the 'Lasers - Applying a Blow Torch' thread, and debated earnestly in defense of the ILCA. When it became apparent that two ILCA officials had made false statements in relation to a rule change in 2011, rather than accept that and move forward, Tiller Man increased personal attacks against Gantt (me). Over the last few months, Tiller Man has sustained made a large volume of personal attacks against me, even located me on Facebook and sent a friend invitation. Examples of the nature of Tiller man's attacks can be evidenced above in this thread, with his post today. It has been a tactic of Tiller Man to accuse me of lying (among other things) without citing examples of saying how.

It's clear that Wess and Tiller Man have repeatedly harassed or made fun of me online. I admit to have responded in kind from time to time. On page 40 of the 'Lasers - Applying a Blow Torch' thread, 63% of all posts were made by Wess and Tiller Man, page 39 was 58%. The vast majority of their posts are off topic.

Here's the problem

Real people are making the posts, and real people are reading them. In the case of Tiller Man and myself, our real identities are known, and both of us can be located in real life. The problem is that the impacts of these kind of antics have been proven to spill over into real life. Mainstream media have reported suicides resulting from cyberbullying - but it does not stop there. There are already cases where libellous language has ended up in court: http://goo.gl/B3xYft

In several studies, violent crime linked to online activities of this time - namely when someone repeatedly harasses, mistreats, or makes fun of another person online. http://goo.gl/v3UYBn

Others join in the fray, as Eyesailor and LMI have done above, again proven to be a factor in escalating the situation both online and in real life.

Back in 2010, three executives from Google were successfully prosecuted for content posted on YouTube. The prosecution was successfully overturned on appeal. https://goo.gl/hczaxb

Here's an example where Facebook staff were reportedly investigated for a suicide: http://goo.gl/iiBlaF

I don't think that Sailing Anarchy staff can be held responsible under current laws, and have been unable to locate any case that shows how. What I can find is an increasing trend of tougher, more restrictive laws, enforcement officers increasingly prepared to investigate and press charges. There is also a greater number of civil cases.

Therefore the prosecution was NOT successful.

Are you suggesting that the amount butthurt you are showing here may be harming you so seriously you are considering suicide? Because if you are, I can happily ban your account to prevent further self harm. I can even block your IP addresses if you need that level of help.

Otherwise, I think you're acting like a complete tosser.

I'm referring your suggestions and comments to the Editor, since you seem to be making legal noises. He doesn't like that much, but you're sounding awfully e-lawyerish here.

The other suggestion is the age old wisdom that was handed down to many of us from our elders when we were younger - "If you can't take it, don't dish it out."

Gantt, I have no idea who you or Tiller Man are in "real life" and I don't much care. The obsessive posting by a handful of people on the Blow Torch thread when there is no new news to discuss and hasn't been for many months is pretty bizarre. You are however choosing to take part in it. If the consequences are bothering you then stop. Just stop.

First, a little history

Here's the problem

Call it a woman's intuition but I am guessing you are not married.

I don't troll much but when I do it is to upset those who are easiest to annoy.

Stay whiny my friends!!

I don't troll much but when I do it is to upset those who are easiest to annoy.

Stay whiny my friends!!

You seem really interesting, tell me more about yourself!

.....said the penultimate troll! :lol:

First, a little history

Here's the problem

Call it a woman's intuition but I am guessing you are not married.

Sounds like he had a lucky escape then. :)

...........Mainstream media have reported suicides resulting from cyberbullying - but it does not stop there. There are already cases where libellous language has ended up in court: http://goo.gl/B3xYft

...this is getting good.

.......be sure to leave the goPro running :)