• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1,986 posts in this topic

one more for the genre

I think there are about 20 projects now running mostly featuring hotties in bikinis sailing AWBs in hot places

these guys are bringing in $107 a movie from patreon

they are quite nicely made films

yours

the ugly old bloke sailing a four knot shit box in cold but interesting places

Enjoyed the video. Much nicer people than that vagabond couple.

Dylan, where are you now? Scotland? Any life update site? Tracker?

I worry that these two are going to set the boat on fire and sink it. They seem to have the combined intelligence of a 10lb danforth.

It's a pretty safe bet to write off anyone who has dreads.

I see nothing new here. I can only watch so many minutes of people doing essentially...nothing. I don't see how you can build a sustainable series of videos on that.

I appreciated the video of the sea turtles. Fascinating creatures. After that, it's a vacuum.

I see nothing new here. I can only watch so many minutes of people doing essentially...nothing. I don't see how you can build a sustainable series of videos on that.

Yeah. Instead of that, somebody should put together a video series on refurbishing an old boat. Say, a Tartan. THAT would go VIRAL!

Nah , watching pretty women always work. Who gives fuck about turtles and tartas.

Yeah. Instead of that, somebody should put together a video series on refurbishing an old boat. Say, a Tartan. THAT would go VIRAL!

I actually really like the 'sailing uma' folks - not much bikini content but they seem like nice people and have knocked off a pretty impressive list of boat projects through their first 30ish episodes.

I worry that these two are going to set the boat on fire and sink it. They seem to have the combined intelligence of a 10lb danforth.

Yeah, but they're a nice pair.

You, hush. I know no one wants to watch me put my boat back together.

Why not hire some hot babes in bikinis to refurb your boat and film that Ajax?

*IF* they were hot and mechanically/electrically talented, I do believe it would generate some interest.

At least they'd actually be doing something interesting while looking hot.

I lost interest in the above video when they filmed themselves napping in a hammock.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to find 2 or 3 hot babes who want to fix up my boat. Well...I know of one but she's all mine and I'm not sharing. :)

I am not sure that is an accurate statement Ajax. Boat fixes are usually interesting and provide knowledge the rest of us can store for the future when we have the same problem on our boats.

I am not sure that is an accurate statement Ajax. Boat fixes are usually interesting and provide knowledge the rest of us can store for the future when we have the same problem on our boats.

Agree. I wish there was a dedicated YouTube channel for videos of owners fixing up their boats.

one more for the genre

I think there are about 20 projects now running mostly featuring hotties in bikinis sailing AWBs in hot places

yours

She appears to have lent her right arm on a wet comic book. Great cans though.

one more for the genre

yours

You have to wonder why she's hanging out with that festering knob.

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Only an excerpt...

Old pirates, yes, they rob I,

Sold I to the merchant ships

Minutes after they took I

From the bottomless pit

But my 'and was made strong

By the 'and of the Almighty

We forward in this generation

Triumphantly

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom?

'Cause all I ever have

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery

None but our self can free our minds

Have no fear for atomic energy

'Cause none of them can stop the time

How long shall they kill our prophets

While we stand aside and look?

Some say it's just a part of it

We've got to fulfill de book

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom?

'Cause all I ever have

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

one more for the genre

yours

You have to wonder why she's hanging out with that festering knob.

Oh, did I say that out loud?

hung like a run away rhino.

Agree. I wish there was a dedicated YouTube channel for videos of owners fixing up their boats.

Now that's the seed of an excellent idea.

Not everyone has good videography and narration skills though. I've watched a lot of amateur "fixit" videos for automobiles and they range from really well done, to shaky camera work narrated by mumbling, rambling scatterbrains. In theory, it would be better to have a single person with Dylan-like skills visit people who are about to make an interesting repair or upgrade to record and narrate their video for them. Unfortunately, that's not very practical and could be very costly.

I get so into my repair work that I rarely ever think to stop, grab a camera and shoot some progress photos. A lot of times it's not practical either when your hands are dripping with epoxy goo or whatever.

I admire people on this forum who take really excellent photos of their work.

Not particularly cheesecake (sorry fellas) but has some useful info and VERY slick production. The Wynns have travelled via RV for awhile and are in the process of purchasing a big cat and customizing it to their liking. There's some useful info on solar and composting toilets. They documented their boat selection process, which is interesting (ha ha)

website

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com

youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/gonewiththewynns

one more for the genre

yours

She likes the tats, no doubt on that...

I appreciated the video of the sea turtles. Fascinating creatures. After that, it's a vacuum.

Totally agree Ajax, nothing new here. At some point, perhaps soon, the market is going to become saturated with couples cruising essentially asking for others to fund their adventures. The ones with the best videos will probably still do just fine but I think for the majority, like this couple, are going to find the well drying up.

At least they'd actually be doing something interesting while looking hot.

You might want to check out some of the fishing videos out there. Some of the hot babes can actually fish!

Totally agree Ajax, nothing new here. At some point, perhaps soon, the market is going to become saturated with couples cruising essentially asking for others to fund their adventures. The ones with the best videos will probably still do just fine but I think for the majority, like this couple, are going to find the well drying up.

Looking at the campaigns I think the market is saturated. And contrary to the above - many of them are sponging off family/family friends/friends because those are the primary donors to these campaigns. Every so often one will go "viral" and/or hit a good sales campaign moment to get donations in, but that's more the exception.

Looking at the campaigns I think the market is saturated. And contrary to the above - many of them are sponging off family/family friends/friends because those are the primary donors to these campaigns. Every so often one will go "viral" and/or hit a good sales campaign moment to get donations in, but that's more the exception.

I think you might have something there

and if you look at it that way why not use patreon as conduit for getting the rellies to chip in

I guess if they were my neice or nephew I would hit the paypal/patreon button and buy them a drink in a nice bar in a nice place with a nice temperature

watching this growing market for sailing films develop and branch out into new ways of creating sailing narratives

in some ways these kids are the slocums of our times

discuss

D

It seems everyone wants to turn their sailing exploits into a youtube reality show these days. This one popped up recently:

Sailing Zatara

A family of 6 sold everything and bought a nearly new monster Beneteau of 50+ feet without knowing how to sail. Hopefully this doesnt end in tears...

and if you look at it that way why not use patreon as conduit for getting the rellies to chip in

I guess if they were my neice or nephew I would hit the paypal/patreon button and buy them a drink in a nice bar in a nice place with a nice temperature

watching this growing market for sailing films develop and branch out into new ways of creating sailing narratives

discuss

D

They are good for us in the sailing school industry that is for sure. So many of our new customers are knocking on our door after seeing this stuff and many think they will be able to fund their dream in the same way. Sadly they don't understand that the only way it will work is if the wife/GF is smoking hot. Tits=hits. Plain and simple.

discuss

D

They are good for us in the sailing school industry that is for sure. So many of our new customers are knocking on our door after seeing this stuff and many think they will be able to fund their dream in the same way. Sadly they don't understand that the only way it will work is if the wife/GF is smoking hot. Tits=hits. Plain and simple.

I agree

but to really make it work you also need not inconsiderable video skills, some pretty good gear, a great boat and a lot of patience and dedication to keeping the flow of films going

these are nice films made by a swedish couple

their boat is very expensive and they are bringing in less than $400 per film through patreon

under $400 per film

My little project just about covers its arse with the paypal taps

and my overheads must be tiny compared to most of the bikini and warm water films

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLYd5EnTTwUKhouIkHoqzMw

Good thread. I wouldn't be aware of these attempts to finance these folks. Basic video and editing skills are getting better. But that alone isn't enough talent to get me watching, much less paying. You still have to say something either in words or images that appeals to an audience. You need to have a skill in doing that and that skill doesn't come without work and experience.

The world is full phonies that will take your money but a good plumber is always flush.

I know I look really really good ...but then I went and did something really really stupid....I tattooed a pic of every dick I'd sucked on my left arm......don't know why she did the same though..hope no one notices.

I dunno... this recent genre of folks trying to make a little cash on the side to support their cruising habit sort of rubs me wrong. Sure, give it a go but my assessment is that they don't have much to offer, often little experience and frequently wrong/bad/stupid advice. Their primary goal is tapping suckers to support and indulge themselves.

Dylan, (whom I've supported albeit under a different pseudonym Dylan) just shares his love of what he's doing and experiencing. It shows, it has value and proves that when you do what you love, good things often come to you.

But the look at me, "I've been stoopid or I'll flash a little T & A tease, or here's how to use a paperclip to put two pieces of paper together." crowd quickly becomes easily ignored like YouTube ads....

V-

I think what's happening, is the "paperclip" category of people that you describe, appeal to other non-sailors who are sitting on their asses at home, wishing that they had the dosh or the balls to get out there on their own boat. To non-sailors, it may be fascinating to watch other non-sailors lurch from crisis to crisis as they gain sailing knowledge in the slowest, most painful, most expensive way possible. That's where their money is coming from.

For actual sailors, it's just plain boring and frustrating to watch.

I have no interest in watching a girl sell her possessions to buy a piece of crap boat, sight unseen and then freak out when the impeller disintegrates in the raw water pump when she tries to motor home. Drama. Plaintive calls to the Coast Guard. Teary-eyed, Blair Witch Project style videography at night.

I think I'll call this phenomenon "Bumfuzzle Fatigue."

You're right, Ajax! We're not their market...

Now that's the seed of an excellent idea.

Not everyone has good videography and narration skills though. I've watched a lot of amateur "fixit" videos for automobiles and they range from really well done, to shaky camera work narrated by mumbling, rambling scatterbrains. In theory, it would be better to have a single person with Dylan-like skills visit people who are about to make an interesting repair or upgrade to record and narrate their video for them. Unfortunately, that's not very practical and could be very costly.

I get so into my repair work that I rarely ever think to stop, grab a camera and shoot some progress photos. A lot of times it's not practical either when your hands are dripping with epoxy goo or whatever.

I admire people on this forum who take really excellent photos of their work.

+1 on that. When I'm elbow deep into a repair or project, the last thing on my mind is pick up the camera and take some pics. I wish that I would remember to do that, but it rarely happens.

V-

I think what's happening, is the "paperclip" category of people that you describe, appeal to other non-sailors who are sitting on their asses at home, wishing that they had the dosh or the balls to get out there on their own boat. To non-sailors, it may be fascinating to watch other non-sailors lurch from crisis to crisis as they gain sailing knowledge in the slowest, most painful, most expensive way possible. That's where their money is coming from.

I have no interest in watching a girl sell her possessions to buy a piece of crap boat, sight unseen and then freak out when the impeller disintegrates in the raw water pump when she tries to motor home. Drama. Plaintive calls to the Coast Guard. Teary-eyed, Blair Witch Project style videography at night.

I would rather watch 10 minutes of one of Dylan's lovely videos of the beautiful and varied British coast and rivers than 2 hours of the latest well endowed, clueless lady and her man bumming around the world. But that's just me, maybe I am getting old.

This guy has done a pretty good job of boat repair videography.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0YnqNj36tWt-KxxpY2X2aA

Not sure why he settled on that particular boat in the first place, I guess he wanted a project.

Not sure why he settled on that particular boat in the first place, I guess he wanted a project.

talk about Zen

I watched 16 minutes of well shot, well edited material of a bloke removing screws from a teak deck on a boat that would have had me blessing the existence of conjealed snot

D

V-

I would rather watch 10 minutes of one of Dylan's lovely videos of the beautiful and varied British coast and rivers than 2 hours of the latest well endowed, clueless lady and her man bumming around the world. But that's just me, maybe I am getting old.

I am with you ED, Dylan's contributions are vastly more interesting.

Only an excerpt...

Old pirates, yes, they rob I,

Sold I to the merchant ships

Minutes after they took I

From the bottomless pit

But my 'and was made strong

By the 'and of the Almighty

We forward in this generation

Triumphantly

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom?

'Cause all I ever have

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery

None but our self can free our minds

Have no fear for atomic energy

'Cause none of them can stop the time

How long shall they kill our prophets

While we stand aside and look?

Some say it's just a part of it

We've got to fulfill de book

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom?

'Cause all I ever have

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Amen. One of my all time favorite songs.

talk about Zen

I watched 16 minutes of well shot, well edited material of a bloke removing screws from a teak deck on a boat that would have had me blessing the existence of conjealed snot

D

Holy crap, that guy is a masochist.

talk about Zen

D

I really am enjoying these, especially as I have finished the initial hard work on my boat and relax and watch someone else sweat. I also have a really unhealthy love for Choey Lees, so this is going to be a great series to watch.

talk about Zen

D

Yep. And the best bit is right near the end where he says, "I can't wait to learn to sail."

Wait, what?!?!

Men are such geeks.

Women don't waste time like that.

:D

Men are such geeks.

oh I dunno

my wife has a weving loom

now that really is sweating the small stuff

watched another one of the man slowly fixing a boat

here he is putting concrete and some fitness weights in the bilge

surely better boats are available

although as a sailor rather than a fettler I am jolly pleased there are people who enjoy doing up boats

the last one I bought cost me £5,500

the previous year the owner fitted a new Beta engine - cost hime £6,500 for the installation

I asked him why he was selling the boat

"I enjoyed doing it up but do not sail enough to justify keeping it"

goodonim

D

Men are such geeks.

oh I dunno

my wife has a weving loom

now that really is sweating the small stuff

watched another one of the man slowly fixing a boat

here he is putting concrete and some fitness weights in the bilge

surely better boats are available

although as a sailor rather than a fettler I am jolly pleased there are people who enjoy doing up boats

the last one I bought cost me £5,500

the previous year the owner fitted a new Beta engine - cost hime £6,500 for the installation

I asked him why he was selling the boat

"I enjoyed doing it up but do not sail enough to justify keeping it"

goodonim

D

Growing up sailing with us, it appears we've raised the opposite of this young guy in the vid., who's priority seems to be working on the boat.

Our son was given a boat that you could put in a shop and work on - full time - for the next year. He's got no interest in that. I helped he and our daughter rig it last week - they were off sailing two hours after we stepped the mast.

27755047460_ace4ea4251_h.jpg

A few days later, they sailed along with us and rafted up for the night. We all (4)sat in the cockpit of his boat for sometime. I was so impressed with the 8' cockpit in the 1968 Rhodes design(this is an O'day Outlaw 26'er with a tall rig), I started thinking this boat might be worth a 'restoration'. So we all started talking about that.

Our son, listened, drank his beer, listened,...and finally said, "I'm not going to do a thing to this boat, except sail it". Done.

Fair enough. It's all there, everything works, and it sails great. Here's the new boat rafted alongside with a it's sun bimini up. We had a great dinner, the 4 of us, same as any season in the last 25 years.

28078494085_fcf440d8f1_h.jpg

Later on, his sister was coiling dock lines on her brothers boat. We could hear them,..."Hey Thomas, where do you want me to put these dock lines?" He replies with a laugh, "I don't care MJ, I'm not Dad",... Ok, all had a laugh. I learn some things from my kids. I didn't coil my dock lines, just threw them in the locker(liberating...).

Whatever, I'm just happy that they both just love to sail. Here the two are leaving our raft up under sail. Natural sailors, both.

28044512716_f0ac070028_h.jpg

It was blowing 20 on the nose and they got soaked on the way home(but sailed it nicely). My son explained that's how he will clean this boat - sailing to windward. And so that I wouldn't feel bad that he hasn't used the new deck brush I bought him, he had his sister take a picture of him using the 'gift'.

He took the brush head off, and taped the handle to his tiller with the new roll of white tape I gave him. Very funny young man,...ha ha ha...see him grin?

28078476865_9ad2510434_h.jpg

Growing up sailing with us, it appears we've raised the opposite of this young guy in the vid., who's priority seems to be working on the boat.

Our son was given a boat that you could put in a shop and work on - full time - for the next year. He's got no interest in that. I helped he and our daughter rig it last week - they were off sailing two hours after we stepped the mast.

27755047460_ace4ea4251_h.jpg

A few days later, they sailed along with us and rafted up for the night. We all (4)sat in the cockpit of his boat for sometime. I was so impressed with the 8' cockpit in the 1968 Rhodes design(this is an O'day Outlaw 26'er with a tall rig), I started thinking this boat might be worth a 'restoration'. So we all started talking about that.

Our son, listened, drank his beer, listened,...and finally said, "I'm not going to do a thing to this boat, except sail it". Done.

Fair enough. It's all there, everything works, and it sails great. Here's the new boat rafted alongside with a it's sun bimini up. We had a great dinner, the 4 of us, same as any season in the last 25 years.

... ... ...

O'Day built some pretty good boats; I wonder how an Outlaw found it's way over there!

I also applaud "doing nothing on the boat except sailing it" but the problem with this is that you rapidly hit against stuff that doesn't work. Wisdom entails striking a happy medium. Fix/upgrade stuff that needs it, sail the heck out of the boat and ignore the rest.

FB- Doug

I want to be her. Especially love the part where she says she earned the pancakes. Lol

It seems everyone wants to turn their sailing exploits into a youtube reality show these days. This one popped up recently:

Sailing Zatara

A family of 6 sold everything and bought a nearly new monster Beneteau of 50+ feet without knowing how to sail. Hopefully this doesnt end in tears...

OMG did you see the keel on that boat. JFC. How does it sail?

How does that Beneteau sail upwind with the keel?

They seem like the type of people to use the engine to go to windward.

Oh, NOoooo! The bloom is off the rose by Episode 4...

Wow, sure didn't see that one coming! (Not)

Go take a look at the Captain's Log on their website, it's priceless. If they get out of this with life and limb intact, I'll be amazed.

It's posts like this one that make me wish SA had a "like" option!!

That dude's got more topology in his dreads than in his brain. She at least has tits.

Sailing Zatara

In south Florida, much deeper on the keel and it won't go to windward, leeward, or sideways - it'll be stuck in the sand. Now, why it has a set of 3Di "racing sails" is a better question....

I watched a couple of the videos. Given their complete naivete, the fact that their starter boat is a very complex, very large boat, they seem to be learning pretty fast actually. And so far, not begging for money!

Sailing Zatara

Their yacht broker was trying to teach them to sail and promptly tore their battened main... he then had no idea how to lower the blown out sail. That was the last you see of their broker.

This guy does learn very fast though. In his "captains log" in only about 2 weeks he has learned that brokers cannot be trusted, a survey tells you only about 1/3 of what you need to know and can be learned just by looking, West Marine is overpriced, and that boats are much more expensive than they appear. He learned to order spares for everything (like 5 belts for the genset). He took someone along with them to Bimini to teach them some sailing and navigation rather than having the CG pull them off half way over. He isn't begging or living on the public dole. Compared to a lot of these sorts of blogs and video logs, I give them a B+. It is a bit short on bare breasts, I will admit.

I agree they are coming up to speed quickly. I like the series so far because it seems pretty real. My wife is digging it as well. We are contemplating shoving off from the dock and not returning for a few years. Seeing others giving it a go with kids is helpful.

Sailing Zatara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0AcIiKxzI

In south Florida, much deeper on the keel and it won't go to windward, leeward, or sideways - it'll be stuck in the sand. Now, why it has a set of 3Di "racing sails" is a better question....

I watched a couple of the videos. Given their complete naivete, the fact that their starter boat is a very complex, very large boat, they seem to be learning pretty fast actually. And so far, not begging for money!

Those 3di sails are so damn light, I could see a super rich newbie thinking they are a good purchase. And if you have the money, why not? They do make handling easier, and they do set better for longer, if you have coin to burn might as well be there rather than an upgraded blue underwater lighting display and bigger subwoofers

This guy does learn very fast though. In his "captains log" in only about 2 weeks he has learned that brokers cannot be trusted, a survey tells you only about 1/3 of what you need to know and can be learned just by looking, West Marine is overpriced, and that boats are much more expensive than they appear. He learned to order spares for everything (like 5 belts for the genset). He took someone along with them to Bimini to teach them some sailing and navigation rather than having the CG pull them off half way over. He isn't begging or living on the public dole. Compared to a lot of these sorts of blogs and video logs, I give them a B+. It is a bit short on bare breasts, I will admit.

I do admit that I like their down to earth attitude. They're not afraid to show themselves vomiting over the side or admitting they're making plenty of mistakes. They also seem like the sorts that arent afraid to roll up their sleeves and get dirty.

Learning fast, yes. I was also glad to see them take an instructor with them to Bimini. However, those kids clambering all over the deck without life vests on while under sail in stormy conditions gave me pause. In their vids, they say that they kids have all been homeschooled and the Captain can't wait to leave liberal Ft. Lauderdale. I see this going one of two ways, either they recoil from contact with the diversity of the outside world and run back to Texas in their Hummer or they open their eyes and decide to accept that there are legitimate viewpoints and lifestyles outside of their own.

I don't think I have ever seen such a tiny keel on such a big boat.

I watched all their videos, only 4 so far. It's called trainwreck syndrome. They have been aboard about a month and already the children are getting pretty pissed off.

I should go dist off the video camera and charge it up, and take on a couple of 23 year old Norwegian girls as crew for the next passage. Help me pay for the kids college.

Some of these Patreon people make me look like I actually know WTF I am doing, which is kind of scary.

I don't think I have ever seen such a tiny keel on such a big boat.

I watched all their videos, only 4 so far. It's called trainwreck syndrome. They have been aboard about a month and already the children are getting pretty pissed off.

That was my take too. They can now finally begin the process of learning how to sail, but the kids have little use for sailing and are growing very rapidly out of the stage where they might acclimate to a sailing life. I've seen many families jump into sailing thinking it will be as easy as going to DisneyWorld. As a family, they don't have the experience together sailing and living on a boat, that takes work and time.

I think their best bet is living the dream, as live-aboards.

I'm a bit worried about the mother. 4 grumpy children can send you seriously berserk and Florida gets a lot of rainy days in July. So far she's toughing it out.

I'm a bit worried about the mother. 4 grumpy children can send you seriously berserk and Florida gets a lot of rainy days in July. So far she's toughing it out.

I think tht these video narratives can be pretty powerful and immersive

for a while I was getting hate mail because I planned to put an engine well in a centaur

quite a few web heads were jolly steamed up that a bloke they had never met ws going to cut an engine well in a boat they had never seen and take the boat to somewhere they will never go

as for these family stories I admire the work these people put into making the films

it does seem though that once they get on the patreon thing where they are being paid per filmn they tend to up the rate at which they are making the films and there are a lot more peices to camera telling you what happened rather than filming it.

very pleased to see these people doing it - and for asking for contributions - payments for work done

it is establishing a market with a real value

add up sv delos at $6,000 a film - not bad revenue

hideous overheads of course but the fringe benefits are good I am sure

S2010041.jpg

Fear not Dylan. You and those people in Florida will never cross paths.

Dylan, are you considering changing over to Patreon from the Paypal taps model?

All while posting to you blog that you've now realized that there's more to life than the pursuit of money and toys...

Dylan, are you considering changing over to Patreon from the Paypal taps model?

Nope

long form film series such as these range up and down a bit in quality - and what one bloke likes - interviews for instance - another hates

the gently mocking pinko take on history in KTL drives some people to send me verey angry emails

but it seems to me as though it is settling down to most blokes who watch most of the films tap in at some stage

thgey do it when they watch a film and at the end of 28 or 35 minutes they think that they have been in another place

of course I understand thaat people will always think - why should I pay for another bloke to sail a boat that is better than mine?

an excellent point

but my boat is usually the shittest in the marina

in a way most people eventually realise that they have been taken on a journey and enjoyed it - and then they chip in

patreon is asking people to pay the same amount for every film

although some of my films are quite good but

some of them are a bit crap in places.

the motto is

"don't tap on the crap"

D

Not to mention the larger bite crowdfunding sites like Patreon, GoFundMe & Kickstarter take. Somewhere around 5%-8% of "donations".

Vimeo is an interesting alternative, with better quality of audio & video than YouTube. With a decided lack of "Scroogling". A lot of YouTubers suffering through Google's tight fisted and/or downright monopolistic view on ad revenue (sound familiar Dylan?) make shorts for YouTube to build up subscribers & popularity. Then make higher production quality long form programs for posting on Vimeo. Not to mention Vimeo has a fairly diverse payment system (i.e. I believe they start at a $0.99 PPV fee per video, but also have other options such as "Season's Passes" where viewers can pay a single fee annually, usually somewhere around $50-$100 for access to all content posted). Their fee is also closer to PayPal, I believe somewhere around 4%.

Not to mention Vimeo has looser restrictions on nudity & language, so a few popular YouTubers are now showcasing "Uncensored" extended versions on Vimeo for PPV. Including atleast one popular YouTube sailing couple whose wife has bought a nice rack.

Not to mention the larger bite crowdfunding sites like Patreon, GoFundMe & Kickstarter take. Somewhere around 5%-8% of "donations".

Vimeo is an interesting alternative, with better quality of audio & video than YouTube. With a decided lack of "Scroogling". A lot of YouTubers suffering through Google's tight fisted and/or downright monopolistic view on ad revenue (sound familiar Dylan?) make shorts for YouTube to build up subscribers & popularity. Then make higher production quality long form programs for posting on Vimeo. Not to mention Vimeo has a fairly diverse payment system (i.e. I believe they start at a $0.99 PPV fee per video, but also have other options such as "Season's Passes" where viewers can pay a single fee annually, usually somewhere around $50-$100 for access to all content posted). Their fee is also closer to PayPal, I believe somewhere around 4%.

Not to mention Vimeo has looser restrictions on nudity & language, so a few popular YouTubers are now showcasing "Uncensored" extended versions on Vimeo for PPV. Including atleast one popular YouTube sailing couple whose wife has bought a nice rack.

I agree about the better quality on Vimeo, but their user interface sucks. Try finding Keep Turning Left, despite the fact Dylan has 152 videos on there. (Hint: search for dylan winter). I officially Follow him, but there is no way to access your Follow list. Therefore, when I bring it up on my smart TV, I have to search on his name every time, which process brings up 5 videos. WTF?

I just realized it's a Roberts 40. Cool.

Watching their vids on the living room TV.

I wanna go sailing!!!!

I've been watching all kinds of sailing Vlogs lately. One that fits into this thread is a young couple from around my area that chronicled their purchase of an Ericsson 30 and then sailing down to the bahamas and back. They started a Patreon account recently, and appear to be doing well, and I think it's deserved. I've been enjoying their content quite a bit. I find it interesting to see them learning as they go and getting better at things. Right now they are trying to sell their current boat and move into a bigger one to do more sailing. Vlog is called Wicked Salty... a tip of the hat the Massachusetts.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WickedSaltySailors

I met the couple in the OPs vid! They are hanging around Airlie Beach. They were asking other cruisers if they wanted bottom cleans for $100 an hour. They appeared to be baked out of their minds. I was going to ask if they could spare some weed. A week later I saw them out at hook reef, possibly where they filmed that vid. They seemed nice enough.

I met the couple in the OPs vid! They are hanging around Airlie Beach. They were asking other cruisers if they wanted bottom cleans for $100 an hour. They appeared to be baked out of their minds. I was going to ask if they could spare some weed. A week later I saw them out at hook reef, possibly where they filmed that vid. They seemed nice enough.

$100 an hour to clean bottoms in a cruising anchorage?

Well there was 2 of them. But they were doing it free diving which takes 4 times longer than with air supply.

I tried to get into the Wicked Salty one. At first, I was intrigued. The guy was a working stiff who (apparently) saved his pennies and got the boat.

Things went downhill from there. It took about 15 minutes for his "bro speech" to grate on my nerves enough to just shut it the hell off.

The little rat dog they carry around with them was also annoying.

This guy is mildly entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/user/kjolevannspumpe

Pro's:

1. Not panhandling for money.

2. Interesting even without tits.

3. Has some action.

4. Videography is ok/good. For example, he does a good job of cutting wind noise out of his dialog when it's appropriate.

5. Videos are short which reduces the tedium.

Con's:

1. He's a little "over the top." I think he really fancies himself a modern day viking bad ass. I can't tell if he's narcissistic or just really, really enthusiastic.

He's heavily dependent on gadget video devices like drones and GoPro cams mounted *everywhere*. That's one way to do it, I guess.

The drone footage of the Shetlands was breathtaking.

I tried to get into the Wicked Salty one. At first, I was intrigued. The guy was a working stiff who (apparently) saved his pennies and got the boat.

Things went downhill from there. It took about 15 minutes for his "bro speech" to grate on my nerves enough to just shut it the hell off.

The little rat dog they carry around with them was also annoying.

They're essentially still kids, so they could be a hell of a lot more annoying. I guess I'm impressed with the amount of content they've produced, and that its consistently watchable. I also appreciate that the guy takes it seriously and is consistently learning. I've seen lots of other videos where the people don't have a clue, and try to pass themselves off as badasses and never seem to learn anything along the way.

Nice work! Better coverage than Clean! :lol:

Well there was 2 of them. But they were doing it free diving which takes 4 times longer than with air supply.

I've paid to have my bottom cleaned a few times when it wasn't someplace I wanted to do it myself or I couldn't. I'm trying to think if 1) it ever cost more than $100 and 2) if it ever took less than 2 hours. In the case of #2, once I think, and it wasn't a very good job.

$100/hr for bottom cleaning won't get them a lot of trade in an anchorage with a bunch of cruisers.

$100/hr is what you will pay in Newport RI.

Yeah, that's not going to fly in Grenada, Panama, Fiji, or any number of other places where full time cruisers congregate.

I paid a about $1.25/foot last time I had my bottom cleaned regularly in Narragansett Bay. But that wasn't in Newport, it was a shiny baltoplate finish that needed a firm wiping every week or two, and it was about a decade ago.

The first and only sailing blog I ever religiously followed was DrakeParagaon. He used to crew deliveries fairly regularly, interview some interesting cruisers he'd run into around anchorages, and if you're into the nitty gritty of liveaboard living and prepping a cruising boat for an extended trip he has a whole series of vids with a rigger prepping the standing rigging on his Westsail.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpfax0gLoUZMqw-ROxX77Yw

But he's kind of fallen into Patreon trap, and really drawing out his content. From 2013.

Last year Newport was $2/foot

Which would be $106 for my boat, which is going to take more than an hour even if there isn't much more than slime on the bottom.

Which I think is a fairly honest assessment of it. With respect to Dylan - slocum was breaking somewhat new ground and selling adventure. This is more like a bland Richard Halliburton - all sizzle and promotion, no matter what the steak is. But it's modern location independent so it's "paradise", tits, good food, tits, exotic brown people, tits, and some more tits. They may be producing the same result - getting people into sailing - but the people entering are looking for different things.

I've been watching all kinds of sailing Vlogs lately. One that fits into this thread is a young couple from around my area that chronicled their purchase of an Ericsson 30 and then sailing down to the bahamas and back. They started a Patreon account recently, and appear to be doing well, and I think it's deserved. I've been enjoying their content quite a bit. I find it interesting to see them learning as they go and getting better at things. Right now they are trying to sell their current boat and move into a bigger one to do more sailing. Vlog is called Wicked Salty... a tip of the hat the Massachusetts.

Absolutely nobody knows how to spell "Ericson." Even the damned iThings try to autoincorrect it. I actually had quite a bit of correspondence with my insurance company on the issue. Because they are precisely the sort of ass-hats who would deny a claim over this.

Personally, although I have not executed the experiment, I think the sweet spot here is to obtain a boat with one extra cabin and go the AirBnBnB route. The vids should serve mainly as advertisement for people who will come in and spend Vacation Money (it's all just play money to them... for two weeks, anyway) on your boat. Heck, I've taken a few of my mundane farm AirBnB guests out day-sailing, with no expectations, and two out of three of them slip me an extra Benjamin on departure. Not that I'm giving away my retirement plans, or anything.

Absolutely nobody knows how to spell "Ericson." Even the damned iThings try to autoincorrect it. I actually had quite a bit of correspondence with my insurance company on the issue. Because they are precisely the sort of ass-hats who would deny a claim over this.

Personally, although I have not executed the experiment, I think the sweet spot here is to obtain a boat with one extra cabin and go the AirBnBnB route. The vids should serve mainly as advertisement for people who will come in and spend Vacation Money (it's all just play money to them... for two weeks, anyway) on your boat. Heck, I've taken a few of my mundane farm AirBnB guests out day-sailing, with no expectations, and two out of three of them slip me an extra Benjamin on departure. Not that I'm giving away my retirement plans, or anything.

I am far too misanthropic to do that with my extra cabins when my daughter leaves for college.

I'd rather AirBnB my house than my boat when I am away from my house, living in my boat.

Airbnb would be OK when you are on the boat if you are getting paid enough. Zero chance I would let strangers stay on my boat without me there. But a decent business model could be to get the biggest concrete shitbox you can get cheap and put it on the piles at Gardens Point (Downtown Brisbane) and airbnb it there.

Thanks Dylan for this interesting discussion.

Hot bikinis and clueless crew seem to attract more public in general. Wannabe sailors and not at all sailors are a much more vast audience than the competent and tasteful elite sailors that fill the threads of SA and CA (Some of these highly skilled and knowledgeable sailors like the bikini stuff though, which make for a sub category)

The question is, will a well shot video series with interesting and non cliché story draw more views than The Bachelor-like bro talked videos? I suspect that the answer is no. (the only one that hangs in there is Dylan, but he has a life time of journalistic experience and he seems to put it to good use. And he likes the bikini stuff, we all got this by now)

BUT....

IF such a sailing video channel existed, how would it be in your opinion?

- What part of the sailing experience should be portrayed? Sailing passages are mostly a long boring repetition of the same patterns, so hard to capture on video with an interesting angle. What would make sailing interesting on a screen?

- What the average length of each episode?

- What ratio of inside the cabin vs life on deck do you think is ideal?

- What cinematography do you prefer? (aerial, onboard cam, action camera, camera over the side and endless waves hitting the bow...)

- What are your preference and level of tolerance for dialogues/music?

- Which destinations and features such as wildlife should appear ? (ok, WE GOT that dolphins are boring, OK! what about kittens?)

- What would be your favorite narrative?

here some examples:

- I knew nothing but look at me now, I learned a lot and you can do it too, it's not difficult!

- I am a viking badass and I love to get slapped in the face by cold spindrift while I eat raw herrings

- Hey hon can you get rid of that bra as you already have no panties?

- Look at my last sailing mistake, next time I might be dead! Stay tuned, we'll be back with more disastrous mistakes and annoying failures that leave us broken and stranded

- Fuck bro, you drop da spliff in the beer... well... let's jump in the water

- How much "teaching/how to stuff" vs. "this is my personal and unique way of doing it"?

- How would you think these people could support themselves mixing together art and sailing with expensive equipment as their only viewers will be the 4 of you, and you are notoriously stingy bastards!?

Thank you for taking this survey, Your input is very appreciated.

We may consider getting into this video thing if we will ever develop videography skills, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. For now we are not asking you any money, at least give us credit for this.

Sincerely,

I'd rather AirBnB my house than my boat when I am away from my house, living in my boat.

The cash flow can be nice but the downside is huge. Think about how easy & quick it would be for your house to get trashed, and how difficult, time-consuming, and expensive it will be to put it back together.

Even well-meaning renters sometimes have circumstances get away from them.

FB- Doug

I think the optimal solution to this whole situation is clear. Dylan, you need to start putting tits in your own vids. Ideally, the tit owners be with you in person on the boat but if that's too difficult to implement, you could just cut some interludes from other sources into your standard films. Perhaps reach out to Sol Rosenburg on the cleavage thread for a collaboration. What say you?

Of course there are loads of downsides to paying guests. But if you absolutely need some kind of cash flow to support your lifestyle, it has merits.

For example, I am off to rent a power snake this morning, for about the tenth time in a year, to mine out a wad of tampons from the sewer. (And make a larger warning sign. Apparently the existing one is obscured if the toilet seat is left up. Or people just don't give a shit. (I should just buy the damned power snake.) On a boat, you'd probably need to enjoy rebuilding the head every week.

Dude, you need to increase the damage deposit.

The problem is that it could have been any guest in the last week. I am not going to go into tampon forensics to try to afix the blame.