dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Since Dylan gave me the insight to do some research into this Vid/Patreon thing I became a great fan of the Delos on all fronts, particularly where they were, production values etc.

However this latest upload really pissed me off. These guys have been doing it for years and for many many miles. Therefore one would naturally think they would appreciate the downside of appearing from over the horizon with what looks like a lot of apparent money into a third world country.

The fact they devoted a whole episode (which is no small feat where they are/were bearing in mind the 3 month time lag) to their dingy being the subject of theft and being so pissed about that indicates they are still carrying around their suburban values. Fuck I have been in desparately poor places where the dingy was the subject of local assault a couple of times a week. You sought of get over it and deal with it.

Anyway I thought they were a pretty cool bunch on Delos until I viewed this bit of self absorbed and self righteous shit.

Then again..maybe this sort of shit is what you have to resort to, to keep the fan/money base happy and the till ringing.

If you really want to see some hard core Ugly American shit, check out the latest ep of Sailing Zatara. 

Two Brits bin a 1970 26 foot shit(ish) cat - 550 hits in two weeks

Incidentally, the latest La Vag film has got some swimming shots which have got their followers speculating about arse surgery

121,000 hits in three days

9 mins in if you are interested

3 hours ago, MarkusCarkus said:

A surplus of hulls

with 2 origami tits

I don't give a shit

I think in order to score this correctly, you would have to not give two shits.

This guy has spent nearly 3 years on the water and even written a crusing guide yet doesn't know the difference between the luff and the leach????

Your gotta wonder what is going to happen when this thing powers up in a decent seaway. ....could be a bit of carnage.

Go 25.35 for a giggle.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:54 PM, thereefgeek said:

I did.

6 times now, and I still don't own a Yamaha outboard.

Except for all the part #'s, it's still similar to a Honda, right?

No they are completely different, she needs to make one for a Honda and then one for me for my Suzuki. :)

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

This guy has spent nearly 3 years on the water and even written a crusing guide yet doesn't know the difference between the luff and the leach????

Your gotta wonder what is going to happen when this thing powers up in a decent seaway. ....could be a bit of carnage.

Go 25.35 for a giggle.

And the whole thing is shot vertically on a phone...quality stuff.

16 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

And pull that rope to hoist the main! :lol:

Then there's the laptop sitting on the dodger while they are under sail. One boat wake later and . . . . . ooops !

On 2017-07-21 at 2:35 PM, Ishmael said:

With an onboard live in camera man.

Did anybody start a pool on when Outremer was going to start questioning this...investment?

But c'mon, the school of Bluefin tuna shots were kinda cool.

2 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

With an onboard live in camera man.

Did anybody start a pool on when Outremer was going to start questioning this...investment?

But c'mon, the school of Bluefin tuna shots were kinda cool.

And he is really worried, like, for his kids because, like, there won't be any fish. Like, in the pacific like, he thought there would be, you know, like, tons of fish, but there, like, wasn't.

The environment has never had such an articulate spokesman.

The deck was covered in spaghetti and I'm thinking " This could get ugly " . . . . . . and then it really did get ugly . . . . . . and then we learned that neither of them understands how a clutch works.

And yet they're out sailing on a cool boat, doing 10x+ the mileage you'll ever dream of doing, and a bunch of you just bitch and moan. They're obviously too stupid to read this forum, otherwise they'd simply wise up and quit. They fessed up to screwing up the orientation of the phone video, like 90%+ of YouTube posters, while the photog was off the boat. That's it - it's obviously time to cancel the project, as the Internet Forum Judges have deemed so.

Or they could just ascribe it to the ethos "a life lived well is the best revenge".

We just spent a couple of weeks on a big fast light Catana in high winds, and not once did the lines complain about being referred to "ropes". "Dammit Karl, the mainsail halyard won't hoist unless you stop calling it a "rope"". Nor did the bridle complain about being called "the thing that steadies the boat at anchor".

The sail doesn't give a shit whether you mess up the terms "luff" and "leech" (yeah, that's the correct spelling, and stop calling the curve of the deck "shear" - it's "sheer", dammit). They're on a big cat - you could put ball bearings on a table with small fiddles and none would escape, nor would their laptop on the sunbrella bimini. It ain't your personal 4Ksb.

We've done a lot of shit all over the seas, but nothing approaching these guys or the crew of Delos. No full-time opportunities. Were we that age again, Effin-A, they'd be our heroes.

They're out actually enjoying their lives, reporting back inexpertly yet interestingly, rather than suffering the slings and arrows of your personal outrageous fortunes. 

What the hell is wrong with you assholes? 

15 minutes ago, rattus32 said:

And yet they're out sailing on a cool boat, doing 10x+ the mileage you'll ever dream of doing, and a bunch of you just bitch and moan. They're obviously too stupid to read this forum, otherwise they'd simply wise up and quit. They fessed up to screwing up the orientation of the phone video, like 90%+ of YouTube posters, while the photog was off the boat. That's it - it's obviously time to cancel the project, as the Internet Forum Judges have deemed so.

Or they could just ascribe it to the ethos "a life lived well is the best revenge".

We just spent a couple of weeks on a big fast light Catana in high winds, and not once did the lines complain about being referred to "ropes". "Dammit Karl, the mainsail halyard won't hoist unless you stop calling it a "rope"". Nor did the bridle complain about being called "the thing that steadies the boat at anchor".

The sail doesn't give a shit whether you mess up the terms "luff" and "leech" (yeah, that's the correct spelling, and stop calling the curve of the deck "shear" - it's "sheer", dammit). They're on a big cat - you could put ball bearings on a table with small fiddles and none would escape, nor would their laptop on the sunbrella bimini. It ain't your personal 4Ksb.

Were we that age again, Effin-A, they'd be our heroes.

They're out actually enjoying their lives, reporting back inexpertly yet interestingly, rather than suffering the slings and arrows of your personal outrageous fortunes. 

Amen. Very well said. 

5 hours ago, rattus32 said:

Well, I'm kind of bummed he missed a great chance to shoot a tuna (or chooner, as the Aussies say).

Too busy fucking with the camera I suppose.

8 hours ago, rattus32 said:

We've done a lot of shit all over the seas, but nothing approaching these guys or the crew of Delos. No full-time opportunities. Were we that age again, Effin-A, they'd be our heroes.

Feeling better now ?

11 hours ago, rattus32 said:

And yet they're out sailing on a cool boat, doing 10x+ the mileage you'll ever dream of doing, and a bunch of you just bitch and moan.....

...Or they could just ascribe it to the ethos "a life lived well is the best revenge"....

...They're out actually enjoying their lives, reporting back inexpertly yet interestingly, rather than suffering the slings and arrows of your personal outrageous fortunes. 

A few years 2 oceanic tradewind jaunts and their 2nd tour of the Med later?? Wow ..why am I not in awe.

What they are doing is a job and pretty professionally. It should not be confused with unbridled enjoyment let alone an adventure.

Negative sentiments maybe, but that simply translates to mean many are not as easily impressed as you.

Now you had better get back to your Patreon button because I can feel another arse shot coming.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Since Dylan gave me the insight to do some research into this Vid/Patreon thing I became a great fan of the Delos on all fronts, particularly where they were, production values etc.

<snip>

Anyway I thought they were a pretty cool bunch on Delos until I viewed this bit of self absorbed and self righteous shit.

Then again..maybe this sort of shit is what you have to resort to, to keep the fan/money base happy and the till ringing.

That was a pretty fucked up episode. I can understand initially going after the guy, finding someone breaking into/onto your home and stealing your stuff would get anyone hot under the collar. Once the guy started begging that they not kill him I think I would have let it go at that point and just given the video to the authorities the next day. Joining a third world posse to hunt the guy down seemed like it could have easily ended very badly.

that episode has had lots of youtube hits and an excellent response from a lot of people - judging by the comments. Of course, it is impossible to tell how many negative or critical comments have been removed.

I think that it must have taken a degree of steely determination to keep the multi-million dollar Delos project properly resourced with equipment and people for the past five years or so sailing in some tough and dangerous places. The series looks very laid-back but that is the way the product is supposed to look. Under the surface I assume Delos is a slightly different kettle of fish.

20 years ago I did a 400 mile trip  with a 30 tonne canal boat towed by a horse from liverpool to London -

we were forced to stop overnight at some pretty insalubrious places - camping along the canal towpaths. At night do not always attract the nicest people.

if anyone suspicious started messing with the gear, the boat or the horse,  we were more than happy just to shine a powerful flashlight in their faces and tell them to "bugger off" in as deep a voice as we could muster.

If they ran away that was more than good enough for us - but then both of us were wimps. The idea of chasing them down and seeking to get them thrown into chokey was a million miles away from our thoughts.

The flashlight of choice was one of these

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights.html

21 hours ago, rattus32 said:

Good lord!  Where to start?

On 7/2/2017 at 0:36 AM, dylan winter said:

two blokes heading for alaska

well filmed , well cut, witty

I like these guys, but I think that they've set their initial kickstarter goal a tad too high.  Gotta love those reward levels though.  "Box of random items found on the beach."

"Bag O' Trash". The crew of the Sea Bear will pick up a bag of trash with your name on it from a random deserted beach, take a picture and ema

Beanie: "My mom, a master knitter has offered to hand knit a limited edition Sailing The Sea Bear Merino wool beanies. Since my brother and I left home, she no longer has access to child labor, so there are only 12 available! To sweeten the deal, We will also include a dinner for two onboard, to be redeemed at a time convenient to all"

10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

20 years ago I did a 400 mile trip  with a 30 tonne canal boat towed by a horse from Liverpool to London

That's a film I'd like to see.

10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

if anyone suspicious started messing with the gear, the boat or the horse,  we were more than happy just to shine a powerful flashlight in their faces and tell them to "bugger off" in as deep a voice as we could muster.

If they ran away that was more than good enough for us - but then both of us were wimps.

A nice red dot laser pointer in combination with the big light might make them think twice about arguing, too.

FKT

14 hours ago, dylan winter said:

that episode has had lots of youtube hits and an excellent response from a lot of people - judging by the comments. Of course, it is impossible to tell how many negative or critical comments have been removed.

I think that it must have taken a degree of steely determination to keep the multi-million dollar Delos project properly resourced with equipment and people for the past five years or so sailing in some tough and dangerous places. The series looks very laid-back but that is the way the product is supposed to look. Under the surface I assume Delos is a slightly different kettle of fish.

20 years ago I did a 400 mile trip  with a 30 tonne canal boat towed by a horse from liverpool to London -

we were forced to stop overnight at some pretty insalubrious places - camping along the canal towpaths. At night do not always attract the nicest people.

If they ran away that was more than good enough for us - but then both of us were wimps. The idea of chasing them down and seeking to get them thrown into chokey was a million miles away from our thoughts.

The flashlight of choice was one of these

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights.html

Insalubrious?   Kudos for working that into the conversation! ;-) 

On 24/07/2017 at 4:33 PM, rattus32 said:

We just spent a couple of weeks on a big fast light Catana

A what? Unless it was a Crowther designed one from the 80's/early 90's I don't recall seeing any fast and light Catanas. 

Big - yes

luxurious- yes

fast- not really

light- hmmm not the froggy ones

So which model ? For all I know there is large light fast Catana model. Just wondering. 

Pretty much agree with all your other sentiments however has the story stalled a little or something?

Ad I'm still waiting for their boat to light up and do 20+knots like I'm sure it can but back your post about the Catana ...

7 hours ago, toddster said:

I like these guys, but I think that they've set their initial kickstarter goal a tad too high.  Gotta love those reward levels though.  "Box of random items found on the beach."

"Bag O' Trash". The crew of the Sea Bear will pick up a bag of trash with your name on it from a random deserted beach, take a picture and ema

Beanie: "My mom, a master knitter has offered to hand knit a limited edition Sailing The Sea Bear Merino wool beanies. Since my brother and I left home, she no longer has access to child labor, so there are only 12 available! To sweeten the deal, We will also include a dinner for two onboard, to be redeemed at a time convenient to all"

Thanks for this. I just subscribed, the only one ever.

10 hours ago, LionIsland said:

A what? Unless it was a Crowther designed one from the 80's/early 90's I don't recall seeing any fast and light Catanas. 

Big - yes

luxurious- yes

fast- not really

light- hmmm not the froggy ones

So which model ? For all I know there is large light fast Catana model. Just wondering. 

Pretty much agree with all your other sentiments however has the story stalled a little or something?

Ad I'm still waiting for their boat to light up and do 20+knots like I'm sure it can but back your post about the Catana ...

Big - 47'; pretty big for us, but no larger than the average 42' condomaran inside.

luxurious - not that much, as the aircon and watermaker broke, bridgedeck cabin is small, and I still wonder who puts 4 cramped heads in when 2 will do. 

fast - yes - at least faster than any other sailboat we "paced" in the area. Very nice sails.

light - pretty much for a production cat, it was a Catana 47 Carbon Infusion, and very stiff to boot.

stalling story? - I Am The Threadkiller ;-)

speed? - with 8 pax, 2 "safety oriented" wives, 2 reefs in the main and full jib but rolled up screacher, we saw 15 kts on a close-ish reach in 23-5 kts true, and I'm a little off my sail trim game. I was impressed.

...and the hulls are still somewhat "Crowther-ish", with an outward twist and slightly bulbular underwater stems.

If it were mine, the aircon would go overboard, hatches would be added to the rear cabins, and 2 heads would disappear. Wouldn't mind a shaded steering station.

On 7/24/2017 at 4:33 PM, rattus32 said:

Who's "we", kemosabe?

However this latest upload really pissed me off. These guys have been doing it for years and for many many miles. Therefore one would naturally think they would appreciate the downside of appearing from over the horizon with what looks like a lot of apparent money into a third world country.

The fact they devoted a whole episode (which is no small feat where they are/were bearing in mind the 3 month time lag) to their dingy being the subject of theft and being so pissed about that indicates they are still carrying around their suburban values. Fuck I have been in desparately poor places where the dingy was the subject of local assault a couple of times a week. You sought of get over it and deal with it.

First off, I know the folks on Delos pretty well. We've hung out in Mexico, Australia, Malaysia, Madagascar, and South Africa. So that might colour my perception of them. But really - what you see in the videos is pretty true to life. They are some of least "suburban" cruisers I know. They go to very out of the way places, get to know the locals more than we ever did, and are very nice folks overall. 

Somebody tried to steal their dinghy, they did their best to catch him, they enlist Bruce to help, and eventually the cops do catch the bad guy. I applaud that level of effort and it made an interesting video episode. Sorry you didn't like it but you seem to have your panties in your ass for some reason.

Most cruisers would have given up after the guy escapes in the dark. But really they're doing a service to other sailors AND the local community. Sailors will feel safer and their stuff won't get stolen. The community benefits if sailors keep coming as tourists and going to local restaurants, shopping in the stores, hiring local folks. If a spot gets a reputation for theft the cruising community the sailors stop coming, and the locals suffer.

When Delos sailed across the Pacific in 2010 they were so broke they were living on rice and fish they caught and not much else.

They all went to work in Australia to afford to keep cruising. Brady and Josje were working as crew on a big yacht for about a year or more. It wasn't until SE Asia until their videos started to become a significant source of income. About 2 years ago they said they were making $6-8K / month. Camera equipment failures ate into that :). But it would be a mistake to call it a multi million dollar project. They are making nice money now, but not a million or millions.

They are some very laid back people especially Brian. Not much phases him. Brady on the other hand is bit nuts at times - but in a good way. Their videos are closer to reality than you might realize.

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

First off, I know the folks on Delos pretty well. We've hung out in Mexico, Australia, Malaysia, Madagascar, and South Africa. So that might colour my perception of them. But really - what you see in the videos is pretty true to life. They are some of least "suburban" cruisers I know. They go to very out of the way places, get to know the locals more than we ever did, and are very nice folks overall. 

Somebody tried to steal their dinghy, they did their best to catch him, they enlist Bruce to help, and eventually the cops do catch the bad guy. I applaud that level of effort and it made an interesting video episode. Sorry you didn't like it but you seem to have your panties in your ass for some reason.

Most cruisers would have given up after the guy escapes in the dark. But really they're doing a service to other sailors AND the local community. Sailors will feel safer and their stuff won't get stolen. The community benefits if sailors keep coming as tourists and going to local restaurants, shopping in the stores, hiring local folks. If a spot gets a reputation for theft the cruising community the sailors stop coming, and the locals suffer.

When Delos sailed across the Pacific in 2010 they were so broke they were living on rice and fish they caught and not much else.

They all went to work in Australia to afford to keep cruising. Brady and Josje were working as crew on a big yacht for about a year or more. It wasn't until SE Asia until their videos started to become a significant source of income. About 2 years ago they said they were making $6-8K / month. Camera equipment failures ate into that :). But it would be a mistake to call it a multi million dollar project. They are making nice money now, but not a million or millions.

They are some very laid back people especially Brian. Not much phases him. Brady on the other hand is bit nuts at times - but in a good way. Their videos are closer to reality than you might realize.

Plus 1 and good on ya for introducing some reality and facts into the discussion Zonker, but did you miss the sign at the door?  This thread is for trolls, haters, and malcontents.   OK, LOL, that is most of SA...:P

OMG somebody is sailing around the world.  OMG, multiple people are and v-blogging about it and they didn't get the approval of the armchair Admirals here. 

So much hatred of folks actually sailing and cruising.. on the cruising forum even!?

5 hours ago, Wess said:

Plus 1 and good on ya for introducing some reality and facts into the discussion Zonker, but did you miss the sign at the door?  This thread is for trolls, haters, and malcontents.   OK, LOL, that is most of SA...:P

OMG somebody is sailing around the world.  OMG, multiple people are and v-blogging about it and they didn't get the approval of the armchair Admirals here. 

So much hatred of folks actually sailing and cruising.. on the cruising forum even!?

The hatred from "couch sailors" on online forums that is not representative at all of what real cruisers are like. There's a sense of competitiveness that makes them superior and better, kind of like racers. Hmm... Anyways, they're missing the whole point. Cruising is about escaping the rat race, encouragement, a community and positivity. Anyone who's actually "been there, done that" cruising thing understands this concept. Even real cruisers are able to overcome the jealousy that someone had the balls and means to cut the docklines in a shorter period of time than the decade that it takes the average cruiser to get prepare and get out. 

The naysaying in the online sailing community is ironically just fueling the vlogging community. Personally, I spent hours researching online and asking "dumb questions" like "is a Beneteau oceanis a bluewater worthy boat?"  When I was getting started just to have "couch sailors" respond to my question with another irrelevant question such as: "how much experience do you have sailing?" followed by discouragement and scare tactics.

The naysayers, couchsailors, grumpy old men, whatever you want to call them, can be discouraging sometimes. Other times they fuel the fire. So much so that I bought a bendy beneteau and made a Vlog myself: Couchsailors. The purpose of it is to encourage others considering doing the same to get out there, without glamorizing it and showing the good and the bad. I've got a patreon account too. Although we don't need it, it's nice if we can make some money to recover the money spent on cameras and then get a few beers with the rest to compensate for the hours it takes to shoot, edit and upload a video. Sure, the anchorages will be a little bit fuller, but an experience is that much better if you can share it with someone. 

I'm uninsured, sailing on a bendy plastic fantastic boat, never crossed an ocean until I did, my girlfriend doesn't know the difference between a leech and a luff, we don't carry a storm sail or a drogue and we mount a 15hp out lard on a rail without reinforcements... Couchsailors is an ironic "fuck you" to all you cranky old men. I can just picture old men shaking with anger in their armchairs "ohhhh, it's coming to you young boy, you just wait and see!" 

My girlfriend might not have the biggest boobs on YouTube, but she certainly has the biggest and most beautiful smile. I'm just glad to be out here cruising, surprisingly with Internet, this year in Fiji, and I haven't even turned 30. Despite everyone who said we shouldn't do it or we weren't ready.

Without further ado, my shameless plug. A video about a young couple sailing and sharing their experiences learning and interacting with the local cultures and people, inspired by Delos and other vloggers. I hope this pisses off some grumpy couchsailors and encourages others to get out there and see the world for themselves! Perhaps those people will pay it forward by documenting it and posting it on YouTube as well. Haters can't hate without content!

Bula from Fiji! :)

Zonk I don't knock the chase and get the community benefit side. The shock horror bit just annoyed  me. Anyway I'm a big fan of Delos crew particularly as they have got to some places I have missed. The only thing I don't like is the time lag between actual and upload knowing their already thousands of miles away so want to fast forward. 

10 hours ago, Couchsailors said:

The hatred from "couch sailors" on online forums that is not representative at all of what real cruisers are like. There's a sense of competitiveness that makes them superior and better, kind of like racers. Hmm... Anyways, they're missing the whole point. Cruising is about escaping the rat race, encouragement, a community and positivity. Anyone who's actually "been there, done that" cruising thing understands this concept. Even real cruisers are able to overcome the jealousy that someone had the balls and means to cut the docklines in a shorter period of time than the decade that it takes the average cruiser to get prepare and get out. 

The naysaying in the online sailing community is ironically just fueling the vlogging community. Personally, I spent hours researching online and asking "dumb questions" like "is a Beneteau oceanis a bluewater worthy boat?"  When I was getting started just to have "couch sailors" respond to my question with another irrelevant question such as: "how much experience do you have sailing?" followed by discouragement and scare tactics.

The naysayers, couchsailors, grumpy old men, whatever you want to call them, can be discouraging sometimes. Other times they fuel the fire. So much so that I bought a bendy beneteau and made a Vlog myself: Couchsailors. The purpose of it is to encourage others considering doing the same to get out there, without glamorizing it and showing the good and the bad. I've got a patreon account too. Although we don't need it, it's nice if we can make some money to recover the money spent on cameras and then get a few beers with the rest to compensate for the hours it takes to shoot, edit and upload a video. Sure, the anchorages will be a little bit fuller, but an experience is that much better if you can share it with someone. 

I'm uninsured, sailing on a bendy plastic fantastic boat, never crossed an ocean until I did, my girlfriend doesn't know the difference between a leech and a luff, we don't carry a storm sail or a drogue and we mount a 15hp out lard on a rail without reinforcements... Couchsailors is an ironic "fuck you" to all you cranky old men. I can just picture old men shaking with anger in their armchairs "ohhhh, it's coming to you young boy, you just wait and see!" 

My girlfriend might not have the biggest boobs on YouTube, but she certainly has the biggest and most beautiful smile. I'm just glad to be out here cruising, surprisingly with Internet, this year in Fiji, and I haven't even turned 30. Despite everyone who said we shouldn't do it or we weren't ready.

Without further ado, my shameless plug. A video about a young couple sailing and sharing their experiences learning and interacting with the local cultures and people, inspired by Delos and other vloggers. I hope this pisses off some grumpy couchsailors and encourages others to get out there and see the world for themselves! Perhaps those people will pay it forward by documenting it and posting it on YouTube as well. Haters can't hate without content!

Nice video channel.  Good luck out there.  I subscribed .

I think the joys of the time taken for video editing, wanting to stretch out their footage as much as possible - and the slowest most expensive internet in the World in the South Atlantic which makes uploading videos almost impossible. All this means they are behind the real time curve.

On St Helena the wifi at the hotel was $10/hr. It would often take 5-10 minutes to open a single yahoo webmail page. On a good day it would only take 30 seconds.

For local subscribers the data was supposedly free from midnight to 5 am so the police was torrenting Game of Thrones overnight! We got a copy on a thumb drive of the latest episode from them. (No copyright laws) Home Internet plans are amazingly costly - $120 USD for 10 GB data at a top speed of 2 Mb/sec (but because all data is going through one dish, real speed is much lower)

23 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Who's "we", kemosabe?

Dude, there are exceptions. You guys are some of them, and if you posted more, well... ;-)

BTW, nice analysis on the battery tech/generator tradeoff. Useful stuff.

I sure hope you aren't encouraging BJ to publish some of his bikini pics. Some stones are best left unturned.

This guy gets the most annoying vlog of the decade award...no boat for a while now, going no where fast and holed up in a bar in Texas getting on the pistolla.. so he now just re-edits old shit like it happened yesterday. Got some nice titters on board though so I assume the $ hits just keep on coming.

20 hours ago, Couchsailors said:

A word from the wise...don't be too quick to discard advice. Many you may think are just couch potatoes on places like SA have actually been /are doing what you are doing now and for some decades, plus some and in a lot more knarly places off the tradewind routes where you have been in the Bendytoy.

Your vids are pretty good, you deserve more return.

Big no no with your first post here though by not putting up some mandatory tits. On account of your good work I convinced Aurorette to donate hers on your behalf. You owe me.

jack_sparrows girl friend.jpg

I love when assholes start to give advice to other assholes. 

Assholes like us know we're assholes and the biggest assholes here are usually right about asshole stuff

We don't want sunny Pacific scenes and fit young women, we want blokes in boiler suits, old blokes in boiler suits, taking 37 years to build a boat. 

Far more interesting as an exploration of both humanity and boats-and-their meaning than any of the above referenced.

Horse that is a classic...in Dylan speak it warmed the cockles....and which the luddites here will not understand, as not having spent any time studying Latin at an English boarding school.

58 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'd like to name a boat"Fuck You" after all the idiots like you that are the younger version of some of us. 

Go have your fun while we have ours at your expense. We have boats, dreams, problems and SA and you are just another diversion!

^^ That quote is not mine it is Couchsailor's....you need to get your spare hand off your dick when you type SailToGetWasted.

As for your inane rant ...clearly you are still doing a Cliffy.

Don't know how it came up as you...

Must have been the phrase grab from his quote in your reply and it was meant for the couch- I'm not looking for you

Sorry about that!

Some times my plan backfires, I know you kill it in your boat...

Incidentally, I was writing that as I waited for my daughter to go through surgury this morning or I might have caught that one...

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A word from the wise...don't be too quick to discard advice. Many you may think are just couch potatoes on places like SA have actually been /are doing what you are doing now and for some decades, plus some and in a lot more knarly places off the tradewind routes where you have been in the Bendytoy.

Your vids are pretty good, you deserve more return.

Big no no with your first post here though by not putting up some mandatory tits. On account of your good work I convinced Aurorette to donate hers on your behalf. You owe me.

jack_sparrows girl friend.jpg

Well, if you're all that and a bag of chips, share your bonafide's.   To me, you just sound negative. 

On 2017-07-17 at 5:21 PM, B.J. Porter said:

You know one of these is going to end up trying to grind fiberglass in a bikini.

Or grind bottom paint without a mask, while you're spending a few days sleeping aboard a black mold foam headliner nightmare, with a deer fawn in your van.

I unsubbed from MissLoneStar awhile ago, but the train wreck has picked up steam.  I'm not in Fiji so I'm suckered in again, but it's not anything anybody hasn't seen in a boatyard.  Just with Playboy spread augmented tits and the same "this works or I'm fucked" determination".

On 2017-07-20 at 8:51 AM, jack_sparrow said:

See I'm the same mind they were, this wasn't an average thief grabbing a prop or outboard from an untended piece of kit in the wrong part of town.  This chucklehead is the same sort of chucklehead that jacks a car up in a driveway just to make off with the $5k rims.  Guaranteed not his first time at this shit.  And an island off Madagascar, a hotel in Jamaica, or a suburb in Canada...fuck those fuckers, hunt them down and shame the fuck out of them and give them local justice.  He was a scum bag, and deserved to be hunted down.

I give the Delos guys some slack when they obviously are pushing the BoobTube agenda, they also have the best sail trim of pretty much any "cruising" sailors with more than a few hundred subscribers.  Brian the older brother and owner crewed on a TP52 for a year, and he's the first to say that a season of campaigning teaches more about sailing than two decades of trade wind drifting.

On 2017-07-20 at 1:31 PM, IStream said:

If you really want to see some hard core Ugly American shit, check out the latest ep of Sailing Zatara. 

Bring a foreigner to the US. 

Cue Ozzy pissing on the Alamo in the 80's..."I tought it was a'alley, ai't was a shite alley an'I NEEDED a piss...prolly shunt b'e whearin' a dress...

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This guy gets the most annoying vlog of the decade award...no boat for a while now, going no where fast and holed up in a bar in Texas getting on the pistolla.. so he now just re-edits old shit like it happened yesterday. Got some nice titters on board though so I assume the $ hits just keep on coming.

To be fair, most vlogs on YouTube are months, if not years behind real time.  I give that guy props because he's a pilot that got fucked on an AOPA, which is frighteningly common.  So he bought an 80's  C&C 37 and fucked off, with 200lbs of LabraDoodle.

He's working on the 6-pack, and he sure as shit can handle a headsail better than La Vaga...or Dylan.

I was about to give La Vaga a pass on entitlement complex after picking up a MILLION DOLLAR CATAMARAN (as they've been saying, for what feels like a year).

But the regular occurrence of a braided captains hat, along with judicious editing of "OMFG DON'T YOU KNOW WHO WE ARE, LOOK AT OUR STACKPACK WE'RE ON YOUTUBE!"...not to mention they STILL are avoiding shots of the Australian health insurance augmented ladies...shit have they sailed even 100 miles yet?

On 7/26/2017 at 11:27 AM, Couchsailors said:

...Bula from Fiji! :)

Exactly. That was beautiful, and the kind of vlog that is worth following. There are only so many sail changes and storm reports one can stand; it's the interaction with the local cultures that make the voyage worthwhile. Thanks!

1 hour ago, rattus32 said:

Exactly. That was beautiful, and the kind of vlog that is worth following..

...It's's the interaction with the local cultures that make the voyage worthwhile. Thanks!

Ratman that is exactly why I give them and Delos a big tick...the Vag crew behave like fuckin aliens from outer space wherever they land..and pretty useless ones at that.

La Vag cameraman has an influence over the style of videos

first few minutes

and if you become a patreon you might win a holiday on-board

23 holidays - woo hoo

plus the sponsors bit in the middle

the genre is moving morphing into something else

part holiday competition - part voyage - part film school primer

Dylan

1 hour ago, savoir said:

126,000 views so far on YT. Not bad.

it is an astonishingly successful project

goodonem!

watching it unfold as a project has been fascinating.

The new cameraman on board was a stroke of genius

I think that in a decade or two we will still be hearing of these two remarkably well motivated young people.

Dylan

Probably at first glance a bit of a weird place to post this. However Outreamer was the first multi builder that has gone close to altering my views on multi V mono for my use after seeing Knut Frostad (the Volvo Ocean Race one) get one and then Vag deal has given us a closer look at them. Actually I have a feeling Knut is on a similiar deal with Outreamer.

Anyway we'll this one makes the Outreamer look pretty pedestrian, though at a very scary price. I have never seen so many good new features crop up in one boat since the Garcia range, which happened to be my favourite. See 2nd  vid below. At first glance it looks a bit under-winched until you take in they are reversible and powered.

This is a must watch for any multi hater. If you have been in a big multi in bad weather short handed, and never want to set foot on one again, this might help as therapy.

On 30/07/2017 at 2:37 AM, dylan winter said:

La Vag cameraman has an influence over the style of videos

first few minutes

and if you become a patreon you might win a holiday on-board

23 holidays - woo hoo

plus the sponsors bit in the middle

the genre is moving morphing into something else

part holiday competition - part voyage - part film school primer

Dylan

Dylan can you imagine ever seeing the Vag do something like the Delos's Madagascar first and second tour?

I think not and they will fluff their way out of existence like all reality TV shows, though I suspect it may take a while and probably lead to another opportunity?

I had thought Eddie Vedder.  Lol

Nope.

Just a guy selling lemonade

he's a kid's hero

IMG_5077.JPG

Interesting...these real time live productions supplement but also sort of clash with their episode roll out program that is weeks and sometimes months behind. For example wanting to keep where they are a secret..but he is drinking Greek beer??

The Alibi cat had some nice touches:

- integrated low windage lounging couch in front of the cabin

- hinged helm pedestals

- lightweight storage bins in hulls (open front shelves no doors)

- powered winches with joystick controls at helm

- reasonable hull opening windows for ventilation

- the A frame bowsprit was really deep and thus very stiff. Yay. Might not even need bobstays

- curved daggers?

But a few things stood out as dumb:

- the dinghy under the bridgedeck. Yeah try launching or recovering in a 2 ft chop and see how you like getting your head banged up.

- the solar panels on cabin top. Always going to have some shaded by the mainsail

- lack of enough ventilation in front of bridgedeck cabin. Need big windows there you can leave open instead of the tiny ones

- how do you get up to the cabin top? No steps visible

I was sceptical about this couple, but I'm warming rapidly to Dylan's view.

Their optimism is infectious, and they are working hard on developing their game

Goodonem!

I was thinking about them the other day during my morning row on the Deben Estuary.

Well displayed six packs and newly minted plastic boobies aside,  I think that the two of them come across as ordinary people who have done good with a combination of hard work and good luck.

Most of the other sailing bloggers are middle class and therefore a bit more guarded about what they say on camera. I don't think that I have watched a complete episode ever.... but I have watched their project grow with much interest and not a little admiration.  I think that the new cameraman on board, who knows his stuff, will make the series even better.

where the La Vag machine heads next no-one knows. I don't mean geographically because it does not really matter where they are....the films are not about sailing .... or the world... they are about two ordinary people sailing the sort of boat and living the life that only old and/or rich people can afford.

I assume that there must be tough times - when they are worrying about the next film or trying to get enough bandwidth or sitting below editing films and sweeting bucks while the aforementioned rich/old people in the next door Ourtremar are just having fun, drinking, smoking cigars/weed

that must be a real bumma

14 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I was sceptical about this couple, but I'm warming rapidly to Dylan's view.

Their optimism is infectious, and they are working hard on developing their game

Goodonem!

Yes, I think that they are inventing something new and I always have respect for pioneers. 

Fine camera work from that "Nautical Dream" couple.

But why do so many of these channels have such silly names?

Bland, generic, and ungoogleable, 'cos any search will produce a tsunami of false positives :(

Really? I thought it was terrible.  Just a bunch of banal talking heads.  And for the record, they did not "sail" in heavy winds or any other kind.  

Of course, that's too harsh.  It's fine as a postcard for Mom.  Not so much entertainment for a general audience.  

On 8/5/2017 at 7:49 AM, dylan winter said:

I was thinking about them the other day during my morning row on the Deben Estuary.

Well displayed six packs and newly minted plastic boobies aside,  I think that the two of them come across as ordinary people who have done good with a combination of hard work and good luck.

Most of the other sailing bloggers are middle class and therefore a bit more guarded about what they say on camera. I don't think that I have watched a complete episode ever.... but I have watched their project grow with much interest and not a little admiration.  I think that the new cameraman on board, who knows his stuff, will make the series even better.

where the La Vag machine heads next no-one knows. I don't mean geographically because it does not really matter where they are....the films are not about sailing .... or the world... they are about two ordinary people sailing the sort of boat and living the life that only old and/or rich people can afford.

I assume that there must be tough times - when they are worrying about the next film or trying to get enough bandwidth or sitting below editing films and sweeting bucks while the aforementioned rich/old people in the next door Ourtremar are just having fun, drinking, smoking cigars/weed

that must be a real bumma

Agree totally, we gave up our corporate lives to get away from this stuff. Everyone bangs on about how lucky SLV are with this new cat. but I honestly think they've gone and made a rod for their backs

Sailing should be about moving away from the stresses of modern life, not deliberately shackling yourselves. We make videos, yes, but enjoy it. Once it becomes mandatory, it's a massive pain in the ass.

4 hours ago, yacht ruby rose said:

Agree totally, we gave up our corporate lives to get away from this stuff. Everyone bangs on about how lucky SLV are with this new cat. but I honestly think they've gone and made a rod for their backs

Sailing should be about moving away from the stresses of modern life, not deliberately shackling yourselves. We make videos, yes, but enjoy it. Once it becomes mandatory, it's a massive pain in the ass.

I think they are doing it out of necessity.  Unless you are super wealthy, you cant really afford to cruise around the world the rest of your life.  They have to work to keep the trip going otherwise they would run out of money.

18 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I think they are doing it out of necessity.  Unless you are super wealthy, you cant really afford to cruise around the world the rest of your life.  They have to work to keep the trip going otherwise they would run out of money.

They have chosen a really high-end way to cruise around the world. Many circumnavigators have modest budgets and their boats aren't brand-new Outremer cats. La Vag's choices dictate their need to work for Patreon while they cruise.

20 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

They have chosen a really high-end way to cruise around the world. Many circumnavigators have modest budgets and their boats aren't brand-new Outremer cats. La Vag's choices dictate their need to work for Patreon while they cruise.

I am assuming that without the videos/patreon contributions, even with the original boat, they would have run out of money by now.  Neither of them had well paid jobs. Even for me, running the ultimate  four know shit box yacht 500 miles from home was a £6,000 a year habit.  It seems to me that most of the places you go to expect to be given money - for water, bits of paper, anchoring permits - then there are the bar costs.

Generalisation coming here but......world sailing is primarily a wealthy person's past-time. These people, Delos as well, have managed to build a paying audience for their work. Goodonem I say.

D

1 minute ago, dylan winter said:

I am assuming that without the videos/patreon contributions, even with the original boat, they would have run out of money by now.  Neither of them had well paid jobs. Even for me, running the ultimate  four know shit box yacht 500 miles from home was a £6,000 a year habit.  It seems to me that most of the places you go to expect to be given money - for water, bits of paper, anchoring permits - then there are the bar costs.

Generalisation coming here but......world primarily a wealthy person's past-time. These people, Delos as well, have managed to build a paying audience for their work. Goodonem I say.

D

Couldn't agree more, Dylan. And their (and your) sharing of the experience gives pleasure to many.  However, KTL's modest approach suits my personal tastes. And you're not a slave to Patreon.

1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

From the little they have posted about the costs, it sounds like the boat will be note free in about one year.  The must have a very healthy income from the videos if this is true.  Easy to see the allure of making the jump if this is the case.  Work hard for one year then the note is paid and the pressure to produce goes away, back to full time playing.

3 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

From the little they have posted about the costs, it sounds like the boat will be note free in about one year.

Are you sure?

I'd be interested to see the calculations behind that

Their Patreon page says $8,737 per video episode, and the new boat would usually have a sticker price of about US $1million.

They must be spending $1000–$3000 a month on living + boat expenses + video gear, and on top of that they now employ a camera man.

I'm sure there is some surplus revenue, but I'm not sure how much.

They may have much less in the boat then is being represented here.  It's probably a base boat, with no dealer mark up, the note is bought down with their previous boat in trade and they were probably offered a "promotional" discount to discuss the boat on youtube, I don't know their finances, it's none of my business.  If it works out, good for them, if it doesn't, well they wouldn't be the first to loose a boat or a house or a car or a camper.....  in the mean time it looks like they are having fun and the boat shows well.

They have been very coy about the fate of the Cyclades. Neither has actually said that it sold.

there is no need for them to be transparent about costs - they themselves are the story.

The Patreon payers are not paying to help them buy what many would consider to be the best cruising boat in the world. 

I assume that if this works and they continue to build an audience then they can move the genre into another area - should they wish to do so of course.

16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Their Patreon page says $8,737 per video episode, and the new boat would usually have a sticker price of about US $1million.

They must be spending $1000–$3000 a month on living + boat expenses + video gear, and on top of that they now employ a camera man.

I'm sure there is some surplus revenue, but I'm not sure how much.

We spend about $3000 a month on our living expenses for two of us. Thats an average of costs over two and a half years. We made a video of it and stuck in on youtube, as everyone seems to want to know the answer. 

Obviously it can be done on less, but we rarely use marinas, and rarely eat in restaurants. Yes we could drink less beer, but I want to enjoy life afloat :).