• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1,994 posts in this topic

^^^ Dylan.  I missed the Bio/About page on Christian Williams.  I found out accidentally that he had been in the Fastnet after watching a video about Ted Turner.

Anyway, he lives nearby.  I've been meaning to look him up for a while.  Maybe go for a hop around the Bay.  Cheers.

Christian is an occasional SA'er and sold his older Ericsen to another SA'er who shall remain nameless. 

So they have changed from buy us a new boat to we will help other cruisers with the money. Pretty open to interpretation so are they going buy the other cruisers a beer and pocket the rest or just keep it and pick up garbage for a day claiming to have saved the island single handed. Nice to see them just walking around gloating about the damage and doing nothing to actually help

https://www.gofundme.com/salvaging-sailing-mischief

"SailingMischief took refuge in Simpson's Bay, St. Maarten during Hurricane Irma. Everything possible was done to secure her for the storm. While SailingMischief was able to survive 185mph winds as the eye of Irma passed over St. Maarten, when the storm resumed a 31'  open console slammed into her and sank her. The devestation on St. Maarten is incredible. While we are determined to continue our journey, we have seen the incredible needs of the other cruisers here who have also lost their boats and all their possessions. We willl use these funds to help as best we can our cruising community."

8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

.....the only films the knockers would have to criticise/despise would be the uber rich man's holiday films ..

Dylan

Dylan so true ..I have spent the last 35 years trying to find the sexy wife in this rich man's holiday vid...then the last 10 chasing up the daughter after I found out the wife carked it.

incidentally - it says on his about page

Description Sailing, cruising. This free channel is not monetized. Suggest use of Adblock Plus.
which is interesting

he does not need the cash to support his sailing - at one point he was drinking wine from his own vinyard I think

One of the good things about the Floggers - excellent word - is that they tend to be more working class

so without patreon the only sailing films we would  have would be the ones made by rich people as opposed to the breast sailors and barry perrins et al

I know that some of you despise the business of asking for money in return for making films....

that is quite understandable

but writing as an ex flogger myself........

without the one per cent of viewers who watch and tap or become patreons the only films the knockers would have to criticise/despise would be the uber rich man's holiday films and the odd sponsored ocean race pro video

now we can click on yutube and see a whole host of people making good films about sailing... some in astonishingly modest boats.

Dylan

That seadog guy has suffered a bit of a brain fart. He sensibly arrived in the far south Caribbean and then decided to head north. His last post was from Martinique but where he is now I don't know.

the hurricanes have had an interesting impact on the bloggers/floggers

Some, such as Delos, are running a year or so behind reality.... the vagabloggers are about a month behind reality

some of them are pretty close to reality

I think that there is a power to making films and posting them  in almost real time. It helps to make the viewers feel more involved.

However, the quicker the films are made the worse they are.  I think that any material benefits from having some time and thought put into the edit.

A good voice over helps to put the narrative into context.

it is the difference between a reality show and travel documentary.

I hope that my films are more travel documentary than just a record of an unimpressive short journey around a comparatively small island.

I think that if people start watching just to see what happens next or if I am going to die then in some ways I have lost the game. As a video maker once you start feeding that monkey there is no going back.

I hope and expect my films to outlive me

D

Haven't we already done the "Long Distance relationships suck' thread drift somewhere else???

The Vagamites are apparently heading to the Arctic Circle next summer via the east coast of America. The Nth West Atlantic short handed in a production Mono would not be my cup of tea....in a Cat?..what could go wrong.

This change of plan means they will be sailing around 12,000 miles next year. Chances are they don't realize how much that long a voyage can wear down any boat.

2 hours ago, savoir said:

This change of plan means they will be sailing around 12,000 miles next year. Chances are they don't realize how much that long a voyage can wear down any boat.

Very, very true. I have been on a few of those Outremers, and question how they will fare over many months of long distance sailing. 

good on La Vag for going north

I admire their ability and wiillingness to tweak the format.

they are gutsy people but it is time to change

there are and have been way too many white beaches, bars, pig feeding incidents right across the overburdened genre of hot sailing.

Their new cameraman is bloody good at his job and has raised the game on the camerawork and editing so I look forward to seeing his efforts at filming Norway

If they do go north then they will be kissing away two of their  most . important thumbnail assets - the ability to flash the male and female flesh.

I respect their determination and drive

bloody good.

I am now feeling bad about what I said in this little bit of voice over

the other development in the genre is inviting Patreon subscribers on board as "guests"

it is a sort of  lottery

the offer is as follows

... cough up $5 per film ($5 per week) and you get a one in 1300 chance of getting an amazing sailing holiday with some beautiful people - provided you are young enough and pretty enough to appear in the videos.

However I am not sure where they stand with "guests" on board when it comes to insurance

Here in the UK sailing clubs often raise money with  auctions of promises - one of the promises is often a day sailing on a nice yacht. 

La Vag and several of the others  are offering incentive holidays on an uncoded yachts with an unqualified skippers.

Not sure how  that will work out if some-one loses a finger or something more important.

At the moment there are signs of people dropping out of this overstuffed genre

Chase the story - two people  on a tennis court sized cat - appears to have gone dark

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAfTNlPDzH9Iq1JorOZ22Jg/videos

Incidentally... when la vag  had the work done on the top half.... was work also done on the bottom half?

I reckon you got an arse fettish thing going there Dylan..maybe I will post a pic of my flat bastard (now I know why old guys prefer braces to belts) to help wean you off it. And yeah the Vagamite camera/editing dude is pretty good and working his ring off I suspect.

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

good on La Vag for going north

I admire their ability and wiillingness to tweak the format.

they are gutsy people but it is time to change

there are and have been way too many white beaches, bars, pig feeding incidents right across the overburdened genre of hot sailing.

Agree with you there Dylan except for one significant oversight on your behalf.

They are not sneaking up to the Arctic Circle from Europe in the dead of summer..they are cruising up the east coast of America first then punching NE into the Atlantic to find summer ice blocks.

That is not exactly a tour many do in a crewed expedition rated mono..let alone in a short crewed out of the box multi that is mega powered up at 15k/20k TW.

Chasing ratings over commonsense/no knowledge of boats outside open water trade wind take your gear off sailing experience comes to mind here.

LaVaga has Jimmy C consulting with them so I assume they will have some good knowledge passed on re: routing and timing.

I do wonder how the fast cruising Cat will fare in near arctic conditions. Most "explorers" of that region choose alloy.

6_vagabond_copyright_eric_b.jpg

Jimmy himself had this beauty made for such work. (Garcia 45)

Aventura-cornell-sailing-Nuuk-Garcia-Yac

Living in the North myself, and doing a liveaboard during one winter, I can appreciate the value of a well insulated hull to not only stay warm, buy more importantly to cut down on condensation.

Cold Titties about the 6:33 mark

It looks like the cameraman has taken a fancy to that pert little derriere. You can see it featured now in all the dive shots while the titties, real or otherwise, are barely seen.

28 minutes ago, XTR said:

I'm guessing that the fools from Sailing Mischief are right now aghast that they are having to pay for their rescue....

It ain't free....

They should stay, help people around and then they would stand a good chance of getting help to refloat and repair their boat relatively cheaply. 

18 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

did this boat survive

I just skimmed that. It's so stupid! Back to not clicking any of these,... 

7 minutes ago, theadmiralty said:

My man Sail Life has lost alot of weight....

will he ever go sailing in his own boat?

It is amazing that he has come out as a straight man.

as for ming ming

he is the Zen monk of sailing

we live in a golden age where we can see, hear and follow sailors of all sorts and all proclivities

yet still some gripe about the glorious diversity that appears on our screens for freemans.

D

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

good for them for blogging/vlogging/flogging until the end

Seems as though she is comfortable lying for the last 30 seconds....

5 hours ago, Panoramix said:

They should stay, help people around and then they would stand a good chance of getting help to refloat and repair their boat relatively cheaply. 

I suspect they had no choice in the matter and were told to get off the island either on board Uncle Sams kerosene canary or swim.

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Seems as though she is comfortable lying for the last 30 seconds....

Agreed, she provides no explanation why they were in the upper Leeward's. She offers that the videos are two months behind. This is irrelevant. Irma was well forecasted  5 days out so even a tub making 75-100 nm per day could have been well south. They made a bad choice for reasons unknown. They come off as ungrateful for being alive and seem very ready to suck at the tit again.

Here is Totems effort to help

http://www.sailingtotem.com/2017/09/hurricane-irma-sailing-to-safety-how-you-can-help.html

12 hours ago, ARumRunner said:

LaVaga has Jimmy C consulting with them so I assume they will have some good knowledge passed on re: routing and timing.

I do wonder how the fast cruising Cat will fare in near arctic conditions. Most "explorers" of that region choose alloy.

6_vagabond_copyright_eric_b.jpg

Jimmy himself had this beauty made for such work. (Garcia 45)

Aventura-cornell-sailing-Nuuk-Garcia-Yac

Living in the North myself, and doing a liveaboard during one winter, I can appreciate the value of a well insulated hull to not only stay warm, buy more importantly to cut down on condensation.

Cold Titties about the 6:33 mark

I suspect this little ice box venture is going to have a pretty substantial support platform that you will never hear about in the vids. In the past they have freaked out when it hit 30k true in a mono so I hope they have a good therapist on call.

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

did this boat survive

I bet he is bald under that stupid hat.

We were up in West Greenland this summer and think that the cruising boat fleet (of 6) that we met was split pretty evenly between metal and plastic - all monohulls though.  I know a number of glass boats that we met went on to transit the NW passage, so while a bit more nervous than perhaps it would be in a metal boat, mucking about in ice with a glass boat is very do-able.  Bob Shepton & Dodo's Delight ( a westerly something-or-other) have spent more time in Greenland than most other people have spent sailing, and made some cool videos too -think saw one linked earlier in the thread.  That being said, we had wonderful weather, and while West Greenland is pretty calm on the whole, the Canadian arctic and East Greenland are less so.  We only saw force 7 twice (once in a snow storm), but think one of the big things for the vagabonds is going to be their ability to carry diesel (lots of glass calms) and ability to learn how to deal with sailing in mildly sporting conditions.  Will probably be an interesting set of episodes...

Has anyone else noticed "Sailing Big Easy"?  They just started and I had high hopes, as it was shaping up to be an inside look into what really happens to all of those rotting crap-piles that seem to infest Florida's waterways - episode 1 was a great start with long tows, dinghy distruction, and boat abandonment, but they ended up docked in Okechobee to refit so  suspect that Irma may have ended it...

1 hour ago, hdra said:

We were up in West Greenland this summer and think that the cruising boat fleet (of 6) that we met was split pretty evenly between metal and plastic - all monohulls though.  I know a number of glass boats that we met went on to transit the NW passage, so while a bit more nervous than perhaps it would be in a metal boat, mucking about in ice with a glass boat is very do-able.  Bob Shepton & Dodo's Delight ( a westerly something-or-other) have spent more time in Greenland than most other people have spent sailing, and made some cool videos too -think saw one linked earlier in the thread.  That being said, we had wonderful weather, and while West Greenland is pretty calm on the whole, the Canadian arctic and East Greenland are less so.  We only saw force 7 twice (once in a snow storm), but think one of the big things for the vagabonds is going to be their ability to carry diesel (lots of glass calms) and ability to learn how to deal with sailing in mildly sporting conditions.  Will probably be an interesting set of episodes...

Has anyone else noticed "Sailing Big Easy"?  They just started and I had high hopes, as it was shaping up to be an inside look into what really happens to all of those rotting crap-piles that seem to infest Florida's waterways - episode 1 was a great start with long tows, dinghy distruction, and boat abandonment, but they ended up docked in Okechobee to refit so  suspect that Irma may have ended it...

Brent Swain would go.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Brent Swain would go.

Nah, he's retired.  From what, not so sure

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Brent Swain would go.

But since in over 10 years he never managed to work a digital camera, I can't see him mastering a moving picture device. Let alone figuring out how to post anything online.

The Emerald Steel couple have posted some nice scenery stuff from Brent's supposed stamping grounds.

FKT

big easy sailing

two dogs..... one a doberman....

aaagh!

the production values show how good la vag and delos are

On 9/4/2017 at 7:42 AM, Grey Dawn said:

Amazing job. I would not have recognized that as a folkboat but it's certainly a beauty.

I found this series as well. It's great.

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I suspect they had no choice in the matter and were told to get off the island either on board Uncle Sams kerosene canary or swim.

By who?

If they help around, the locals would be silly to kick them out.

42 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

By who?

In Turks and Caicos not only were they not kicking people out...they refused to let them leave!

Air Canada flew in 58 electricians on Sunday. Air Canada understood they would be able to use the return flight to evacuate 95 Canadians but Turks and Caicos authorities refused to allow them to board. The evacuation is now scheduled for today - two unnecessary days with an extra hundred people in discomfort and putting additional strain on limited facilities in Turks and Caicos.

Not really how you encourage additional aid in time of need.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/turks-caicos-canada-evacuation-global-affairs-1.4283514

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

By who?

Try government. This small place has a population of 40k and limited resources now that can only deal with a fraction of that let alone visitors with little more than the clothes on their back.

35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Try government. This small place has a population of 40k and limited resources now that can only deal with a fraction of that let alone visitors with little more than the clothes on their back.

Evidence?

jack is correct

I assume that the best thing to do is to get as many of the resource hungry, delicate stomached, bottle water glugging softhanded rich western accountants/dentists/advertising exec westerners out of there as soon as possible

If they were plumbers, electricians, jcb drivers they might be of some use.

So the best thing they can do to help the locals is to get a govt supplied air bus out of there and then start sending money back.

Of course, who pays to clear up the mess of yachts that fill the lee shore of every hurricane hole I do not know.

D

As long as there are still rich tourists to be evacuated, there will be boats and planes coming in carrying emergency supplies.  Once all of 'our' people are safely home, that supply will rapidly dry out - we'll just stop giving a shit and leave the locals to fend for themselves...

No wonder some local authorities are slowing down the evacuations

Sorry for being cynical...

11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I bet he is bald under that stupid hat.

Well, duh! :P

4 hours ago, Panoramix said:

By who?

They've only been able to help themselves to the charity of the People of Puerto Rico up to this point so I think the locals made the right choice

2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Evidence?

The video they posted from Puerto Rico saying they were forced to leave and pay their way back home. That includes the air transport cost of the military extraction plane to Puerto Rico and hotel accommodations at $120 a day for as many days as it takes to get them on a flight stateside. They were taken to a shelter in PR and clothes were distributed as they were only allowed one bag and chose to take their electronic devices.

There's the evidence Pano, it was posted yesterday. You make it sound like people here make shit up that they need to prove to you at your request:(

P.S. Other videos of the islands show tourists abandoned by their governments and hiding from armed looters in a bathroom etc in fear of their lives as racial tensions are high right now. I read that on Yahoo news this morning if you want to check for yourself...

big easy sailing

two dogs..... one a doberman....

aaagh!

the production values show how good la vag and delos are

These people are proof of that old cliche - " If it looks too good to be true then it probably is "

All that boat of theirs is good for is being a cheap dock queen.  They are at the start of several heartbreaking and expensive years of boat rebuilding.

it is amazing that they were prepared to leave the boat at anchor and fly 2000 miles away

I worry about mine if I go to the pub for the night

D

They would not have understood what it means to leave a boat at anchor in bad weather.

Similarly, they did not understand that a roll up inflatable can't handle towing something that big. No wonder it fell apart. The solution would have been to buy an outboard mount and bolt it to the transom. A 5hp could push that thing along at 4 knots. 

That's impressive for a 3ksb.

The video they posted from Puerto Rico saying they were forced to leave and pay their way back home. That includes the air transport cost of the military extraction plane to Puerto Rico and hotel accommodations at $120 a day for as many days as it takes to get them on a flight stateside. They were taken to a shelter in PR and clothes were distributed as they were only allowed one bag and chose to take their electronic devices.

There's the evidence Pano, it was posted yesterday. You make it sound like people here make shit up that they need to prove to you at your request:(

P.S. Other videos of the islands show tourists abandoned by their governments and hiding from armed looters in a bathroom etc in fear of their lives as racial tensions are high right now. I read that on Yahoo news this morning if you want to check for yourself...

Don't be to harsh on poor old Pano. I think his frequent bouts of bad temper are due to constipation. All that cheese...

....There's the evidence Pano, it was posted yesterday. You make it sound like people here make shit up that they need to prove to you at your request:(

And in the proof department he is a blog from Alex who also lost his Amel 53 tied up in St Maartin and which has been his home for nearly 5 years.

The situation has terribly degraded.
People are stealing anything. I took pictures of 20 to 25 people breaking in Blue Point electronic to steal anything they could. They saw me taking pictures I feared for my life and biked away.
I saw hundred of people robbing the grocery store Carrefour.
Many people have become ruthless and savages.
Bobby’s Boatyard did well, most boats safe.
Port de Plaisance marina is devastated, catamaran flipped over, monohull sink.
The hotel 50kw generator is running low on diesel, I went with an employee to NIKIMAT and dove to open the lazaret, 4 out of my 5 Jerry Cans floated (I assume the diesel is good), couldn’t find the 5th one, probably puncture.
The hotel sewer tanks are almost full and about to overflow in the street.
I bought the last water bottles at the grocery store next to my hotel, I am good for several weeks.
Rarely I get internet connection
Army and police are doing their best, but they are very nervous and not enough of them, people still walk at night to try to rob buildings.
This has become a 3rd World Country.
I am more afraid of the people than the Hurricane.

So Pano fuck off...you are needed back at work at the White Flag factory.

On 8/25/2017 at 0:48 AM, IStream said:

Jesus, man. If you feel so strongly about it, start making your own films. The fact is, nobody is trying to learn Scottish history from Dylan. 

"Outlander" season three just started out, so maybe that will keep him quiet for a bit.

On 8/28/2017 at 0:46 PM, LB 15 said:
On 8/28/2017 at 10:33 AM, Ishmael said:

2legs has been here for quite a while, IMHO contributing an interesting perspective without raising a fuss, suddenly Brent is gone and everyone's looking for a new target. Sure she has a different sense of humour, she's female and Irish. I can appreciate it without being threatened by it. I think the crowd needs to back off a bit here and re-evaluate this sudden howling for new blood. 

I didn't know, nor do I care if she is female. We are an equal oppitunity community here and so is she/he wants to act like a dick she gets called a dick. Or a cunt as the case may be. Which appears to have had a lot of sand in it of late.

I had no idea 2legs was female. Go figure.

I figured it out early on. It's the way she writes books. But she's ok in my book. Good knowledge of sailing for sure

20 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I suspect this little ice box venture is going to have a pretty substantial support platform that you will never hear about in the vids. In the past they have freaked out when it hit 30k true in a mono so I hope they have a good therapist on call.

Good point, maximizing that promo investment.

The recent vid has Riley RIPP'n along comfortably at 17/18 kts with bursts north of 20. Yuppp

The rig be a humm'n man. Please put on a PFD and tether - forfucksakes

49 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I figured it out early on. It's the way she writes books. But she's ok in my book. Good knowledge of sailing for sure

I tend to write books too, so I don't view that as a purely feminine trait.

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

21 minutes ago, ARumRunner said:

The recent vid has Riley RIPP'n along comfortably at 17/18 kts with bursts north of 20. Yuppp

In their tips on sailing around the world Riley turned his nose up at all the safety stuff other cruisers carried saying it weighed a tonne and they were quite happy with just a Liferaft and an EPIRB. They must have carried a pidgeon for long distance comms when away from free wi-fi.

Their handlers for this arctic excursion might have to educate them in the "what happens when it goes pear shaped" department.

The inimitable Christian Williams has a new video out. 

The perspective of an older man with a copy of Sartre's Being and Nothingness on the bookshelf is always a refreshing contrast.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

In their tips on sailing around the world Riley turned his nose up at all the safety stuff other cruisers carried saying it weighed a tonne and they were quite happy with just a Liferaft and an EPIRB. They must have carried a pidgeon for long distance comms when away from free wi-fi.

Their handlers for this arctic excursion might have to educate them in the "what happens when it goes pear shaped" department.

Then there's the pile of spaghetti they leave on deck. Tread on that at 20 knots and its hello boys with pike and a flatbag dismount.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A good pair of bolt-ons not only create clicks- they will help her to float face up if the unthinkable happened.

I wish she would get'im out...

29 minutes ago, savoir said:

Then there's the pile of spaghetti they leave on deck. Tread on that at 20 knots and its hello boys with pike and a flatbag dismount.

But not really a problem when night watch keeping only requires you to look out the window every so often.

12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I don't look this videos in detail but I am just under the impression that they left because they didn't like it not because they were forced to. They just behaved like lemmings whereas they were supposedly out there "discovering" the world. May be they would have fob them off but I think that they could have tried to find an organisation like the red cross or médecins dans frontières and given them a hand, they probably are understaffed and anybody can help with logistics. If they stay close to the boat, they stand a better chance of refloating it eventually. OK, if they couldn't be bothered to flee the hurricane, they probably don't have what it takes to save their sunken boat. 

7 hours ago, ARumRunner said:

what sort of crude rig requires going forward to the mast to reef?

I thought modern boats had systems to avoid such malarky.

I also wonder if a tether is any use at 20 knots - I assume some-one has to take off the power pretty quickly otherwise the MOB gets a lung full of 20 knot water

I wear seldom a proper life jacket when sailing....

occasionally I wear  a floatation jacket - it keeps me warm like a puffa

sometimes I wear an inflating life jacket under a loose waterproof top. which is apparently a sentence of almost instand death

In the dinghy I always have one with me - not always on - usually I am sitting on it as it makes an excellent seat pad.

People appear to have stopped telling me to wear them in the youtube comments

having said all that

the only thing worse than a fool....... is an old fool

D

PS - my ropes are sometimes less than perfectly coiled

Well Dylan, next time you have to head up to the mast to tuck in a reef while doing 20 knots, please leave the camera running. It should pick up either a thud or a splash. It was your British navy that invented the phrase " ship shape ".

Then again I think one of them also said " kiss me Hardy ". Must have been a long voyage.

Centaur

LRSF_DSC_5704-630x400.jpg

britain's most numerous four knot shit box

20 knots - only on a truck and then the mast will be down

10 hours ago, Tom Keffer said:

The inimitable Christian Williams has a new video out. 

The perspective of an older man with a copy of Sartre's Being and Nothingness on the bookshelf is always a refreshing contrast.

Ahh TK you have made my day with this......I'm overdue taking on this challenge and exploring the bigger picture! Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Couta said:

Ahh TK you have made my day with this......I'm overdue taking on this challenge and exploring the bigger picture! Thank you.

I like his video of the Jersey shore in the 50's cruising with his Mom,Dad and brother. Classic stuff!

6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I don't look this videos in detail but I am just under the impression that they left because they didn't like it not because they were forced to. They just behaved like lemmings whereas they were supposedly out there "discovering" the world. May be they would have fob them off but I think that they could have tried to find an organisation like the red cross or médecins dans frontières and given them a hand, they probably are understaffed and anybody can help with logistics. If they stay close to the boat, they stand a better chance of refloating it eventually. OK, if they couldn't be bothered to flee the hurricane, they probably don't have what it takes to save their sunken boat. 

Nope.

They were worthless to the locals. We went theough Sandy 5 years ago and the locals here who didn't prepare(80percent) were worthless to help in any capacity. The Red Cross doesn't just accept volunteers at every emergency as they prepared ahead of time to serve the community. 

The kids got themselves into that mess by sailing north toward the storm system to up their hits on YouTube, lost their boat and all their possessions. They became instant parasites to the locals and put an immediate strain on the frail infrastructure remains. And on top of that, they knew no one to offer them any assistance and were exhausted and hungry like everyone else. If they were still there, I think the locals would have robbed them of their electronics and worse...

Those kids will be on land for a long time now and I'm glad. At least they won't be raped and killed by the natives who have gone full caveman...

It will be an interesting winter.

I reckon there are around 50 patreon floggers/vloggers out there in their 40 footers swimming with pigs, emoting at dolphins, snorkelling in crystal clear water.  Many of them are making excellent videos  but shoving them out into a market that is nearly as crowded as the rolly polly anchorages they spend time in. I would guess that there will be a massive shake out.....

there are those who have  lost their 40 footers..... there are those who will find that the cost of insurance has suddenly become unaffordable, or that sailing is a bit more demanding than they had thought, or  that there is not enough spare patreon cash to support 50 bikini sailors waving their busters at cameras.

The other trend is the "guests" schtick where people are invited along to join the experience.... not sure what the financial arrangements are with that. Do these "guests" do their own laundry? do  they bring their own sleeping bags? Who takes care of the costs of the airport transfers? Do they pay for their own beers? Who cleans shit house?

Are the guests insured in any way.

When I sold the last Centaur in Glasgow (land of beach bars, glamourous babes, interesting local colour) lots of blokes said that I should start offering sailing experiences or some training.....

my idea of hell on earth.

sharing space on a 26 footer in scotland with occasional stays from wife/dog/family is tough..... sharing it with people who know nuffink and are expecting a holiday with swimming pigs and white beaches would be fekkin bonkers.... and I have never owned a boat that could be anywhere near coded so it would be horribly illegal. My boats have been too crap to pass any insurance survey so I sail with third part insurance

I have greatly enjoyed many of the sailing  narratives that have been created. I am really grateful to these people for showing how good my life could have been had I been younger and better looking.

I occasionally wonder about the legacy left by these people.

When I think of victorian sailors I imagine the noble  slocums and the middletons manfully facing long cold passages - stiff upper lips barely quivering in the wind. The image of  the millennial sailor, on the other hand, will be a girl with plastic busters feeding boloney sandwhiches to spotted pigs.

This time will pass.

Dylan

When I think of victorian sailors I imagine the noble  slocums and the middletons manfully facing long cold passages - stiff upper lips barely quivering in the wind. The image of  the millennial sailor, on the other hand, will be a girl with plastic busters feeding boloney sandwhiches to spotted pigs.

Not to mention Tilman & Smeeton as exemplars of tough English sailors. One ended up dying at sea and the other came bloody close a couple of times.

FKT

I am really grateful to these people for showing how good my life could have been had I been younger and better looking.

OK that was worth coming back to the thread.

I don't understand how all these Caribbean vloggers are going to do now. Even if their boats survived, the services are all gone. People are sleeping out in the open, with no shelter.

10 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I don't understand how all these Caribbean vloggers are going to do now. Even if their boats survived, the services are all gone. People are sleeping out in the open, with no shelter.

They're going to ask you for money.

I utterly loath this "video myself for cash" bullshit. Among other things, one feels like one has to do more and more outrageous stuff to keep the clicks coming.

5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I utterly loath this "video myself for cash" bullshit. Among other things, one feels like one has to do more and more outrageous stuff to keep the clicks coming.

Sure, I would never do it myself. Obviously there others who think this is just great way of life - we can all see some of the attraction. 

As watching - that is something completely different. Or is it not?  Possible to watch, knowing the background, still enjoying? 

Myself, I am just bored by these. Of some I can watch one episode - the first. Others, just some few minutes. 

Oh well ....

//J 

Well, it's not just sailing.  There are hordes of these kids out there who think people will pay money to watch their slacker lives - or an over-hyped representation thereof - who don't seem to do anything in particular at all.    My last renters always had a string of "gofundme's" going that they imagined would help them through budget difficulties.  They'd make up some dreadful video about how they were somehow being victimized (baby needs meds, help us rescue this dog, help I've gotten stoned in bed and I can't get up!) and wait for the cash to roll in.  Not that it ever did. 

I tend not to paint all the YouTubers with the same brush. In fact, I find it pretty easy to separate the leeches from the sailors who are genuinely nice people just sharing their adventure. CAT IMPI would be a perfect example. Having said that, they are independently wealthy so they don't need to beg!

I still watch LaVaga, reason being, they were neophytes when they started and it was a somewhat close up and personal as they developed. Unfortunately 'Lana turned out to be a drama queen with a clothes shopping budget that must suck those patreon dollars at a pace quicker than the Outremer. She best be careful, in the last vid (the 22 knot one), she was wearing a tonne of jewelry on her fingers. A big concern since she was manning the coach roof stoppers with a mess of uncoiled lines ready to grab a digit and make short work of it. And that nice new dink was bucking around like a steer waiting for it's rodeo hero. I am happy for them, its their life but I'm not sure how much longer I will tune in.

LaVag has lost its innocence, and appeal, to me. An example, I can't look at Elayna hiding her fake tits all the time.

5 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

They should have to do more outrageous stuff.  You want more money then dance monkey, oh and bust out those cans.  I can't really get past the first 30 seconds of any of these clowns.  Now  Dylan's videos I can watch.

52 minutes ago, Blitz said:

They should have to do more outrageous stuff.  You want more money then dance monkey, oh and bust out those cans. 

I hope the man-made material in them new busters is rated for -0 degrees C. Then again maybe not...they would then be permanently frozen in takeoff mode.

The plastic ones don't shrink in the cold . . . . . . . . . or so I've heard.

18 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I occasionally wonder about the legacy left by these people.

This time will pass.

Dylan

I'm guessing that  -- perhaps if nothing else -- the millennials smell better than Slocum or Hornblower.

3 hours ago, Blitz said:

They should have to do more outrageous stuff.  You want more money then dance monkey, oh and bust out those cans.  I can't really get past the first 30 seconds of any of these clowns.  Now  Dylan's videos I can watch.

. . .and Christian.  I like watching the crusty old guys.  Reminds me of me, only more sailing.

1 minute ago, bplipschitz said:

I'm guessing that  -- perhaps if nothing else -- the millennials smell better than Slocum or Hornblower.

And probably have way better personal hygiene overall. While they're alive, anyhow.

At least Slocum didn't shave his balls and get tattoos of his home state shaped like brass knuckles behind his ear

28 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

At least Slocum didn't shave his balls and get tattoos of his home state shaped like brass knuckles behind his ear

Sail I'm sure you have a very good view of things backside and behind  :-)

I can't believe I set myself up for that one.

IMG_5707.JPG

Get in on the ground level with Anarchist BOOBOO's journey from NZ to buying a boat in France. 

15 hours ago, Blitz said:

I also figure maybe 5% of "stolen celebrity sex tapes" are actually stolen :rolleyes:

On 9/12/2017 at 4:39 PM, jack_sparrow said:

And in the proof department he is a blog from Alex who also lost his Amel 53 tied up in St Maartin and which has been his home for nearly 5 years.

The situation has terribly degraded.
People are stealing anything. I took pictures of 20 to 25 people breaking in Blue Point electronic to steal anything they could. They saw me taking pictures I feared for my life and biked away.
I saw hundred of people robbing the grocery store Carrefour.
Many people have become ruthless and savages.
Bobby’s Boatyard did well, most boats safe.
Port de Plaisance marina is devastated, catamaran flipped over, monohull sink.
The hotel 50kw generator is running low on diesel, I went with an employee to NIKIMAT and dove to open the lazaret, 4 out of my 5 Jerry Cans floated (I assume the diesel is good), couldn’t find the 5th one, probably puncture.
The hotel sewer tanks are almost full and about to overflow in the street.
I bought the last water bottles at the grocery store next to my hotel, I am good for several weeks.
Rarely I get internet connection
Army and police are doing their best, but they are very nervous and not enough of them, people still walk at night to try to rob buildings.
This has become a 3rd World Country.
I am more afraid of the people than the Hurricane.

So Pano fuck off...you are needed back at work at the White Flag factory.

Social justice in the face of disaster. The hurricane leveled the institutions put there to grant social order. Now there is nothing to put poor people in their place and they all mix up. This is temporary though, that's why they are looting the shit out of it while it lasts.

11 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

La Vag react to safety crits

What a lovely couple....

I suspect Elena knows alot more than she lets on....

53 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

La Vag react to safety crits

Why do they have a dead ungulate head on their wall? Seems to be a strange thing to have on a boat.

^^^^Or did he fall overboard??Tethering is a personal choice so each to their own if they are in charge of the vessel. However lecturing on the subject when clearly they have no idea on what constitutes a proper setup is pretty irresponsible when you are an on-line "influencer". Zero or occasional use as they are are promoting with no jacklines and fixed points or if they are in place not properly located, having long tether clip lengths etc etc is just plain dumb.

As the icebox tour also sounds as though it is going to be a fully crewed number they will need to rethink their tethering philosophy for waters with nasty survivability numbers.