• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1,994 posts in this topic

I'd rather AirBnB my house than my boat when I am away from my house, living in my boat.

The cash flow can be nice but the downside is huge. Think about how easy & quick it would be for your house to get trashed, and how difficult, time-consuming, and expensive it will be to put it back together.

Even well-meaning renters sometimes have circumstances get away from them.

FB- Doug

I feel like way more chance of shit going south on my boat with strangers than my house, if I am doing a risk assessment.

The problem is that it could have been any guest in the last week. I am not going to go into tampon forensics to try to afix the blame.

Understood, but a high deposit combined with a stern warning about tampons and plumbing will make them think twice about dropping one in.

I think the optimal solution to this whole situation is clear. Dylan, you need to start putting tits in your own vids. Ideally, the tit owners be with you in person on the boat but if that's too difficult to implement, you could just cut some interludes from other sources into your standard films. Perhaps reach out to Sol Rosenburg on the cleavage thread for a collaboration. What say you?

naa

KTL is a tit free zone

more people are watching the films from the erudite old bloke on their big tellies so no need to be embarrassed when your wife comes in to see you watching

some good questions here

few responses embeded below

I think this genre of wenches and winches is about to implode.

Ajax - I watched the viking man

https://www.youtube.com/user/kjolevannspumpe/videos

who does a good job with the camera and the drone he has bought - I impressed with how the drone handles strong wind

Thanks Dylan for this interesting discussion.

Hot bikinis and clueless crew seem to attract more public in general. Wannabe sailors and not at all sailors are a much more vast audience than the competent and tasteful elite sailors that fill the threads of SA and CA (Some of these highly skilled and knowledgeable sailors like the bikini stuff though, which make for a sub category)

The question is, will a well shot video series with interesting and non cliché story draw more views than The Bachelor-like bro talked videos? I suspect that the answer is no. (the only one that hangs in there is Dylan, but he has a life time of journalistic experience and he seems to put it to good use. And he likes the bikini stuff, we all got this by now)

not keen on the bikini stuff - bores me sideways - better tits are available all over the web - but I keep a watching brief on those whho are also making sailing films

BUT....

IF such a sailing video channel existed, how would it be in your opinion?

it does - KTL been going for nine years now - last years paypal taps were around £18K - peanuts compared to the wenches and winches revenue stream -and although it covers my expenses it is a labour of love

- What part of the sailing experience should be portrayed? Sailing passages are mostly a long boring repetition of the same patterns, so hard to capture on video with an interesting angle. What would make sailing interesting on a screen?

for me the interesting bits are where the sea meets the land - the winches and wenches brigade might as well be sailing a soap bubble around a washing up bowl for all the sense of place they convey

- What the average length of each episode?

I think that if you are going to watch these on a big telly then something close to a well structured hald an hour seems to work best

- What ratio of inside the cabin vs life on deck do you think is ideal?

there is almost nothing of interest inside the cabin

- What cinematography do you prefer? (aerial, onboard cam, action camera, camera over the side and endless waves hitting the bow...)

the job of the cameraman is to direct the eye towards the interesting things - seen one wave over the bow seen them all

- What are your preference and level of tolerance for dialogues/music?

getting a bit bored with the overlong peices to camera from the patreon brigade

- Which destinations and features such as wildlife should appear ? (ok, WE GOT that dolphins are boring, OK! what about kittens?)

seen enough clear blue water for the time being - as for cats on board -

with chase the story they have two cats

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAfTNlPDzH9Iq1JorOZ22Jg/about

I am with milton Jones on this one

40 seconds in

- What would be your favorite narrative?

here some examples:

- I knew nothing but look at me now, I learned a lot and you can do it too, it's not difficult!

- I am a viking badass and I love to get slapped in the face by cold spindrift while I eat raw herrings

- Hey hon can you get rid of that bra as you already have no panties?

- Look at my last sailing mistake, next time I might be dead! Stay tuned, we'll be back with more disastrous mistakes and annoying failures that leave us broken and stranded

- Fuck bro, you drop da spliff in the beer... well... let's jump in the water

- How much "teaching/how to stuff" vs. "this is my personal and unique way of doing it"?

too old to learn anything new now - youtube tells me that most of the blokes who watch KTL are aged 50 to 70

- How would you think these people could support themselves mixing together art and sailing with expensive equipment as their only viewers will be the 4 of you, and you are notoriously stingy bastards!?

about one in 20 hit the paypal button on my filsm I reckon

not paying is not being stingy - just rational

Thank you for taking this survey, Your input is very appreciated.

We may consider getting into this video thing if we will ever develop videography skills, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. For now we are not asking you any money, at least give us credit for this.

Sincerely,

It's a frequent & confident prediction made by arthouse film directors about Hollywood. Since, oh, 1920 or so. "Ve have reached saturation in ze superheroes and ze violence and ze gratuitous nudity. Zer is a craving for ze reality, for good dialog, and for overzoomed crosscuts of two people havink difficult conversations."

And yet. Box office numbers continue to favor Tits&Explosions 50:1 over Closet Dramas. Most people want Tits&Explosions. Mutants in spandex. Plot holes plugged with motorcycle chases thru Kwaloon. Most don't go to cinema & plunk down $12 to see some mensch waving a toilet plunger around and crying about how hard plumbing is. They can get that at home.;)

Just enuf people want artcore films, or documentaries about Syrian refugee camps, to keep that side of things alive. We're grateful for the folks who produce such work and for the viewers who support it. But cinema verite is a niche, it always will be. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that -- and nothing to be gained by moaning about it.

JP Sartre made art films. About as arty as art films get. Ten living people have watched them. Sartre also diagnosed the essential disease of fin de siècle white folk. Nausea. It's the dissonance between what we want and what we get. "Why can't the universe function the way I think it ought to?!" Because: who the fuck are you, really? Happiness -- small, tentative, happiness -- comes from pursuing what is important to us, and allowing others to do the same, without trying to overreach our own spheres of influence. Wiki summarizes it pretty well:

In his resolution at the end of the book he accepts the indifference of the physical world to man's aspirations. He is able to see that realization not only as a regret but also as an opportunity. People are free to make their own meaning: a freedom that is also a responsibility, because without that commitment there will be no meaning.

So keep on making top films of shooting the Scafa Flow on a bilge keeler, tanbark, anoraks, and Interesting Historical Facts. They are brilliant productions. There is an audience, tho it is and always shall be a small audience. The films' value lies in their sense the maker really cares about his subject.

Hollywood ain't worried: Tits&Explosions Inc. remains strong. :P And let's be glad that pretty kids in warm places & minimal clothing are romping around tropical paradises, having lots of sex (remember sex? It's a Fun Thing Kids Do) and squealing over dolphins like they've never seen one before, geesh. If we want to sell sailing to a younger generation, as we so often attest, these newbs sell it better than cold people in Orkney rain. We can argue their commitment to the life ("Anyone can be a sailor in the BVIs! They're just spoilt panhandlers"), but existentially, that's none of our business. They make their meaning and live with it, we make our own. This isn't zero sum. :) The people who will enjoy and subscribe to your videos put "sailing AND scotland" in the search box. People who search "sailing bikinis" will be happier with Cheeky Monkey.

I love it. Good on her!!

Great video and good on Elizabeth. Her skills on canvas capture the light on water perfectly. She should be on Patreon.

That's the first one of that genre I have watched all the way through in years. I sent the link to my wife, we'll see what she thinks of that concept.

Wonderful! So poignant and inspiring at the same time. I love that she is so humble and so introspective about her progress in learning to singlehand.

I love it. Good on her!!

++1 Wonderfully English. Honest and understated

Inspiring. And her paintings are beautiful.

That was great. An interesting boat and an interesting person doing interesting things.

If Dylan weren't married, I'd start a fund to put them together. ;)

You could see her sailing experience in all the little things she did while handling the boat. She's got skills.

I would donate to her adventure in a second compared to a Rimas drift-a-thon-of-incompetence.

Of course there are loads of downsides to paying guests. But if you absolutely need some kind of cash flow to support your lifestyle, it has merits.

For example, I am off to rent a power snake this morning, for about the tenth time in a year, to mine out a wad of tampons from the sewer. (And make a larger warning sign. Apparently the existing one is obscured if the toilet seat is left up. Or people just don't give a shit. (I should just buy the damned power snake.) On a boat, you'd probably need to enjoy rebuilding the head every week.

Awesome tool for the simple stuff

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Drain-Auger-Tool-Only-P4001/206405601

I don't think I have ever seen such a tiny keel on such a big boat.

I watched all their videos, only 4 so far. It's called trainwreck syndrome. They have been aboard about a month and already the children are getting pretty pissed off.

It's off the rails, at least temporarily. They spent so long installing and fixing their myriad of toys that they ran right into the hurricane season. Along the way they seem to have picked up a stalker thanks to their habit of over-sharing so they pulled their website down about a month ago. However, they still have a You Tube channel on which they beg people not to unsubscribe. The latest is that they're going quiet until November, so they must've hopped in the Hummer and hightailed it back to the ranch.

I do criminal defense, and people really don't appreciate how their blogs and online presence make them vulnerable to folks who are unbalanced. It's not really common, but we get plenty of stalking and harassment type cases that arise from Internet info. All that pole dancing for attention and dollars requires you to be accessible. Some caution is a really good idea.

I do criminal defense, and people really don't appreciate how their blogs and online presence make them vulnerable to folks who are unbalanced. It's not really common, but we get plenty of stalking and harassment type cases that arise from Internet info. All that pole dancing for attention and dollars requires you to be accessible. Some caution is a really good idea.

I doubt that anyone wiill start stalking a 60 year old bloke with moobs but I do worry a bit about my house when I am not there
on the other hand there is bugger-all there worth nicking now that the outboards have gone

indiententally

currently at anchor in Portree on Skye

it will be a five layer day but I will be sailing through one of the finest sailing grounds yet designed by the good lord

except for the cold of course

I welcome the babes and their bikinis though - it makes KTL stand out from the cloud a little

bit of history, bit of humour, brilliant sailing - but an ugly old bloke sailing a dull old boat in a cool place

D

KeepTurningLeft-Scotland-2.Still066-sunr

Beautiful shot, Dylan!

Beautiful shot, Dylan!

Scotland.....

120 incheaa of rain a year though

really learning to appreciate the skies..

it is the view from my cockpit - the boat is currently on a mooring in Plockton

I live in Oxford - 12 hour drive

aaaagh!

but I have never been anywhere with such brilliant skies - better than the prairies.

The sunsets go on for hours in the summer

KeepTurningLeft-Oban-to-Plockton.Still00

S2140025-clouds-2.jpg

S2100020-YACHT-HEADING-EAST.jpg

It's a frequent & confident prediction made by arthouse film directors about Hollywood. Since, oh, 1920 or so. "Ve have reached saturation in ze superheroes and ze violence and ze gratuitous nudity. Zer is a craving for ze reality, for good dialog, and for overzoomed crosscuts of two people havink difficult conversations."

And yet. Box office numbers continue to favor Tits&Explosions 50:1 over Closet Dramas. Most people want Tits&Explosions. Mutants in spandex. Plot holes plugged with motorcycle chases thru Kwaloon. Most don't go to cinema & plunk down $12 to see some mensch waving a toilet plunger around and crying about how hard plumbing is. They can get that at home. ;)

Just enuf people want artcore films, or documentaries about Syrian refugee camps, to keep that side of things alive. We're grateful for the folks who produce such work and for the viewers who support it. But cinema verite is a niche, it always will be. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that -- and nothing to be gained by moaning about it.

JP Sartre made art films. About as arty as art films get. Ten living people have watched them. Sartre also diagnosed the essential disease of fin de siècle white folk. Nausea. It's the dissonance between what we want and what we get. "Why can't the universe function the way I think it ought to?!" Because: who the fuck are you, really? Happiness -- small, tentative, happiness -- comes from pursuing what is important to us, and allowing others to do the same, without trying to overreach our own spheres of influence. Wiki summarizes it pretty well:

In his resolution at the end of the book he accepts the indifference of the physical world to man's aspirations. He is able to see that realization not only as a regret but also as an opportunity. People are free to make their own meaning: a freedom that is also a responsibility, because without that commitment there will be no meaning.

So keep on making top films of shooting the Scafa Flow on a bilge keeler, tanbark, anoraks, and Interesting Historical Facts. They are brilliant productions. There is an audience, tho it is and always shall be a small audience. The films' value lies in their sense the maker really cares about his subject.

Hollywood ain't worried: Tits&Explosions Inc. remains strong. :P And let's be glad that pretty kids in warm places & minimal clothing are romping around tropical paradises, having lots of sex (remember sex? It's a Fun Thing Kids Do) and squealing over dolphins like they've never seen one before, geesh. If we want to sell sailing to a younger generation, as we so often attest, these newbs sell it better than cold people in Orkney rain. We can argue their commitment to the life ("Anyone can be a sailor in the BVIs! They're just spoilt panhandlers"), but existentially, that's none of our business. They make their meaning and live with it, we make our own. This isn't zero sum. :) The people who will enjoy and subscribe to your videos put "sailing AND scotland" in the search box. People who search "sailing bikinis" will be happier with Cheeky Monkey.

Quoted just because it is the most perspicacity I've read in a relatively small post for quite some time. Bravo. Bravo squared, even.

Beautiful shot, Dylan!

Scotland.....

120 incheaa of rain a year though

really learning to appreciate the skies..

it is the view from my cockpit - the boat is currently on a mooring in Plockton

I live in Oxford - 12 hour drive

aaaagh!

but I have never been anywhere with such brilliant skies - better than the prairies.

The sunsets go on for hours in the summer

Yea, but parts of that drive must be very beautiful, especially as you get near to where your boat is moored.

Some mornings have a special light in New England

And some evenings do too. This past Friday, for example.

post-47517-0-06909600-1473039078_thumb.jpg

How you like dem apples?

Wow! They are the new reality TV stars. It's great brand marketing.

I cant tell you how disappointed I am they are not going to be on a monohull. Anyways, good on them...

How you like dem apples?

excellent news

there always has to be a top of the heap

SV delos -

30 million hits and $5,000 per film from patreon has been top for a year or so

they have done really well

https://www.youtube.com/user/briantrautman/about

https://www.patreon.com/svdelos

and no free boat

Vagabonde with 20 million hits and $7,000 per film from patreon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdQjaSoLjIzFnWsDQOv4ww/about

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

and a free boat (or is it a free boat?)

As an old hack it has been really interesting watching this market grow

and develop. People can reach out and make direct contact with their viewers.

we have Chase the story who have invested heavily in their project

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAfTNlPDzH9Iq1JorOZ22Jg/about

https://www.patreon.com/chasethestory

who are yet to hit paydirt.

It all goes to show that a good looking woman in a bikini is a powerful driver of the visual image

Of course there are loads of downsides to paying guests. But if you absolutely need some kind of cash flow to support your lifestyle, it has merits.

For example, I am off to rent a power snake this morning, for about the tenth time in a year, to mine out a wad of tampons from the sewer. (And make a larger warning sign. Apparently the existing one is obscured if the toilet seat is left up. Or people just don't give a shit. (I should just buy the damned power snake.) On a boat, you'd probably need to enjoy rebuilding the head every week.

I'm very good at rebuilding the head. I have one rule - don't talk to me while doing it. I can only deal with the more disgusting parts of the job by establishing a sort of mind and body separation, so I go into a sort of calm abstracted inner space. Zen and the art of other people's poo.

I doubt that it's a free boat Dylan. There is probably a contract for a couple of years worth of free usage. Chances are they will surrender the boat after that unless the sales are huge.

I doubt that it's a free boat Dylan. There is probably a contract for a couple of years worth of free usage. Chances are they will surrender the boat after that unless the sales are huge.

the phrase million dollar deal...... leaves all sorts of things wide open

still......

goodonem both

they are fine looking couple with a fine looking boat sailing in some fine looking places and making some lovely videos

not exactly sure where they are as one golden sunkissed paradise looks much the same as the next one.

I am not that keen on good looking women spoiling their perfect skins with tatty nonsense tatoos

It seems they landed a job as testimonials/campaign directors/producers. I hope it pays well. They will have tons of more resources and assistance to step up their work. It's going to be interesting to see how it's going to change or if the frenchies will like to spread their brand all over making it an obvious commercial campaign. It is definitely a new era of advertisement, now the brands come to your youtube feed producing video series.

So far the Vagabondes have been very good amateurs and I think that helped with the views and followers. Amateur sailors, amateur videographers that nailed the you can do it too dream for screen surfers with tons of followers. The chick helped more than the mustached guy, but overall they are fun, pleasant and interesting people with an accent. I hope the Outremers people will be smart enough to keep that going.

Good for them, they seem to be a genuine fun loving couple. I suppose if you can make millions playing video games then why not a free boat while chronicling your travels be sail? The yacht maker will love all the exposure and it should help sales.

It seems they landed a job as testimonials/campaign directors/producers. I hope it pays well. They will have tons of more resources and assistance to step up their work. It's going to be interesting to see how it's going to change or if the frenchies will like to spread their brand all over making it an obvious commercial campaign. It is definitely a new era of advertisement, now the brands come to your youtube feed producing video series.

So far the Vagabondes have been very good amateurs and I think that helped with the views and followers. Amateur sailors, amateur videographers that nailed the you can do it too dream for screen surfers with tons of followers. The chick helped more than the mustached guy, but overall they are fun, pleasant and interesting people with an accent. I hope the Outremers people will be smart enough to keep that going.

It will be really interesting to see what happens to their Patreon account and their style of film-making

1 episode a week at the moment

$7K per film

It would be a shame to damage that revenue by over branding the free french $1,000,000 yacht.

at the moment they have 1000 patrons -

392 pledging more than $5 a film

so that is a $20 a month habit for those patrons

more than my whiskey budget

If each month you notice that your paypal account is diverting $20 a month towards a lovely couple sailing a one million dollar catamaran then I assume an as yet unknown percentage of people will pull out of the Patreon committment.

The youtube income will be paltry making their dependence on the Cat company become ever more important.

There is more to making films than just acquiring a boat - the overheads are high.

They are working really hard to turn out a film a week.

One thing they need to guard against is doing the dreaded extended Patreon yak to camera.

The whole story and the narrative style will change now.

OK, enough love already. To be honest, I felt like sicking up after watching two minutes of them. There's nothing more depressing than having fun, if you ask me, unless it's watching other people having fun.

They make Dylan look like a master of his genre. But then, Dylan is a master of his genre.

It will be really interesting to see what happens to their Patreon account and their style of film-making

$7K per film

It would be a shame to damage that revenue by over branding the free french $1,000,000 yacht.

If each month you notice that your paypal account is diverting $20 a month towards a lovely couple sailing a one million dollar catamaran then I assume an as yet unknown percentage of people will pull out of the Patreon committment.

The youtube income will be paltry making their dependence on the Cat company become ever more important.

There is more to making films than just acquiring a boat - the overheads are high.

One thing they need to guard against is doing the dreaded extended Patreon yak to camera.

Yes they probably had put that in account. Chances are that the frenchies will give them more than that, because now with an employer it will be hard to justify patreons .

What they did is no longer there, what they have now is a professional gig.

The arena is open for the new La Vagabonde!

$7K per film

Yes they probably had put that in account. Chances are that the frenchies will give them more than that, because now with an employer it will be hard to justify patreons .

they are definitely taking a risk

but who wouldn't do that for a chance of some real sponsorship and a brilliant boat to sail

but the risk is to effectively abandon a revenue stream that comes from 1000 people for a revenue stream that comes from one

if, in two years time, the cat people pull the plugs then rebuilding those 1000 patreon commitments will be an uphill struggle.

Incidentally one of the blokes who had been watching my films contracted diabetes and stopped sailing. He was going to scrap the boat - instead he sold it to me for £1

centaur-livery-S1620012.jpg

a year later, as we had agreed between us, I sold the boat for £8K and gave him £4K

D

PS - shucks Ed

Good for them! BUT...

Like most things when you take something that is small, amateur, fun, comfortable like that favorite little beach bar and then Sandals takes it over it ends up being large, professional, too many rules, stuffy, forced and not comfortable trying to share it with 500 tourists. If this turns into nothing more than a weekly marketing commercial to sell boats most people will move on.

Good point psycho it looks like that market is open for that next favorite little beach bar.

Good for them! BUT...

Like most things when you take something that is small, amateur, fun, comfortable like that favorite little beach bar and then Sandals takes it over it ends up being large, professional, too many rules, stuffy, forced and not comfortable trying to share it with 500 tourists. If this turns into nothing more than a weekly marketing commercial to sell boats most people will move on.

Good point psycho it looks like that market is open for that next favorite little beach bar.

Right on. Accountability. Expectations. Contracts.

$7K per film

but who wouldn't do that for a chance of some real sponsorship and a brilliant boat to sail

but the risk is to effectively abandon a revenue stream that comes from 1000 people for a revenue stream that comes from one

if, in two years time, the cat people pull the plugs then rebuilding those 1000 patreon commitments will be an uphill struggle.

Incidentally one of the blokes who had been watching my films contracted diabetes and stopped sailing. He was going to scrap the boat - instead he sold it to me for £1

a year later, as we had agreed between us, I sold the boat for £8K and gave him £4K

D

PS - shucks Ed

Why would one stop sailing because they have diabetes unless he lost some limbs.

$7K per film

D

PS - shucks Ed

That's such a good story. Virtue may be its own reward, but it's nice when other people get it too, but people who like boats often do the decent thing: one vendor gave us a flexible price which was contingent on how much we got for ours. We did well and ended up paying him more than his asking price.

The man who bought our last boat (that boat in fact) had a series of problems afterwards, and was leaving the boat to rack and ruin - he agreed to sell it back to us for the token single currency unit (plus a significant amount of yard bills).

And as to shucks, yes, I'm surprised when I turn out to be a misanthrope.

I never wanted to be one.

I've never turned the sound on with Vagabonds. Do you think I should? I find it hard to imagine wanting to go for a sail with them. though.

I don't know Ed, they seem like a fine couple who are enjoying sailing and seeing the world. Doesn't seem to be much there to dislike.

$7K per film

D

PS - shucks Ed

That's such a good story. Virtue may be its own reward, but it's nice when other people get it too, but people who like boats often do the decent thing: one vendor gave us a flexible price which was contingent on how much we got for ours. We did well and ended up paying him more than his asking price.

The man who bought our last boat (that boat in fact) had a series of problems afterwards, and was leaving the boat to rack and ruin - he agreed to sell it back to us for the token single currency unit (plus a significant amount of yard bills).

And as to shucks, yes, I'm surprised when I turn out to be a misanthrope.

I never wanted to be one.

I've never turned the sound on with Vagabonds. Do you think I should? I find it hard to imagine wanting to go for a sail with them. though.

don't dismiss them

they are brilliant at what they do

their youtube stats are amazing

there is much to admire in their filming and editing

The sound is good, everything is brilliantly lit, they both have a good relationship with the camera, the shots are well framed and they move smoothly through the sequences which hang together nicely

they do it with an alacrity that leaves me speachless - and all on laptops

it will be marvelous to see what they can achieve with a proper budget

better gear really helps to make better films

it has been a privilege to watch their product grow and develop

well worth dipping into I would say

us old blokes forget that we have a fast forward button on a video stream

nothing wrong with wizzing over the yak to camera bits and watch the sailing - which is well shot and with a drone will get even better

there is more to them than just a fine selection of bikinis and tight diving gear

they make nice looking films at lightening speed

D

So far I don't see any reason why they should lose their Patreon customers. Why not try to keep them all ?

Chances are they will lose a few because of the mysterious process by which their future vids will tend to compliment their boat. Some will find it boring and drop out.

<<

they are brilliant at what they do

their youtube stats are amazing

there is much to admire in their filming and editing

The sound is good, everything is brilliantly lit, they both have a good relationship with the camera, the shots are well framed and they move smoothly through the sequences which hang together nicely

they do it with an alacrity that leaves me speachless - and all on laptops

it will be marvelous to see what they can achieve with a proper budget

>>

Ah, now you're just [!] expressing professional admiration for their skill - I want you to say that you actually like them. Would you go for a sail with them? Do you not find them even a little bit annoying? I'll shut up now, and watch one in bed later, with the litmus test of Mrs. Ed who is much nicer than I am and not at all judgmental or misanthropic.

I think you have to attempt to analyse why people chip into these projects

I assume they are becoming patrons because they feel that they are helping in some measurable way

replacement gear, a gallon of fuel, haul-out fees

lots of those who chip in - no idea how many - will know more or less what the costs of maintaining a 40 footer in ocean crossing condition are

they can see what their income is through patreon so they know what sort of contribution they are making to the project

others will chip in because they get two hours of entertaining film a month and it is better value per hour than netflx

but as they get the films for free or not that is probably a minority sport

unravelling the motivations of the tappers is something of an art

we will see if the patreon moves up or down as people realise who is paying the piper

If sponsorship from the french cat people allows them to make even better films that reach an ever wider audience then they will no longer need the patrons

that will allow those funds to go to the next video sailing startups

the next lot might re-invent the genre

it is a marvelous system for encouraging talent

Did Outremer say they were paying some kind of salary ? I thought it was just a free boat. Even then I reckon the deal will be something like " you get the cat for 1 (maybe 2) years then we work out how many cats you have sold for us before proceeding further."

credit where credit is due

however, I would not like to sail with them

it would all be happening way too fast

and a boat is a tiny space

I believe in slow food, slow sailing, slow film making

I suppose my only hope is to work out a deal with major manufacturers to pay me a small stipend to never be seen on one of their boats.

I'm having trouble seeing this as a good deal for Outremer. The 45 is their smallest cat and all their models are a high end product. Chances are the sail away price of a new 45 would be around $2m.

The sort of people who would be likely to buy such a vessel are unlikely to be fans of these two. The company might have been better off using them to help launch a new, smaller and more affordable model such as a 35. Trouble is we'll have to wait 1 year plus to find out.

I'm having trouble seeing this as a good deal for Outremer. The 45 is their smallest cat and all their models are a high end product. Chances are the sail away price of a new 45 would be around $2m.

The sort of people who would be likely to buy such a vessel are unlikely to be fans of these two. The company might have been better off using them to help launch a new, smaller and more affordable model such as a 35. Trouble is we'll have to wait 1 year plus to find out.

and that is the risk laVagabonde couple take. When they start sailing their expensive cat their patreon income will dry up

either partially or completely

then if the french cat people are not happy with their impact on sales they could pull the plug and LaVagabonde is right back where they started

For a while I was earning good money from youtube

then one morning their computers decided that they did not like my algorithm and they killed my adsense account

my hits were deemed likely to be fraudulent

no appeal -

strangely enough although I was cut off from the advertising revenue Google still placed ads against the films and pocketed the whole revenue as opposed to sharing a bit with me

It will be much more difficult for them to act like average down home folks with the floating palace they are about to get. I have no doubt it will be exceptional quality. It's hard to be a regular guy when everyone can see your fancy digs.

Would you go for a sail with them?

Yes, I would. But then I would also go for a sail with a misanthrope.

Would you go for a sail with them?

Yes, I would. But then I would also go for a sail with a misanthrope.

BS?

Ah, now you're just [!] expressing professional admiration for their skill - I want you to say that you actually like them. Would you go for a sail with them? Do you not find them even a little bit annoying? I'll shut up now, and watch one in bed later, with the litmus test of Mrs. Ed who is much nicer than I am and not at all judgmental or misanthropic.

I would definitely go sailing with them. They are a cool couple who are active and enjoying life. Good on them!

My wife and I were watching them for awhile. We'd sail with them.

We watch no TV, but my wife has a knack for finding sailing videos. Most of them are lousy. These two are cool.

*IF* they were hot and mechanically/electrically talented, I do believe it would generate some interest.

It's been done.

Well, Mrs. Ed and I have spent some time this morning with the Vagabonde crew, and her measured comment (as I say she's much nicer than I am) was along the lines of

"Well, they seem to be having a lovely time, and that's great".

She thought it might be more interesting if one followed them in real time, like the second crop of baby barn owls on the Fambridge webcam

http://www.essexwt.org.uk/barn-owl-webcam

Once I get over hating them for being young, good looking and clearly not having to deal with some of the shit that I do, I'm afraid I didn't really find much interesting content there. Nice places though.

Dylan, as ever I admire your calmness, in this case over what google/youtube did to you. I'd have thrown my toys out of the pram, and gone off to another platform I'm afraid.

Well, Mrs. Ed and I have spent some time this morning with the Vagabonde crew, and her measured comment (as I say she's much nicer than I am) was along the lines of

She thought it might be more interesting if one followed them in real time, like the second crop of baby barn owls on the Fambridge webcam

Once I get over hating them for being young, good looking and clearly not having to deal with some of the shit that I do, I'm afraid I didn't really find much interesting content there. Nice places though.

Dylan, as ever I admire your calmness, in this case over what google/youtube did to you. I'd have thrown my toys out of the pram, and gone off to another platform I'm afraid.

the trouble with chucking stuff out of the pram is that some-one needs to pick them up

I can't live without google - making sailing films and keeping them off youtube is like attempting to run a shop up a back alley with the window blinds down and door locked

the weird thing is that google owns everything I have created for the past ten years and will own everything I expect to create until I drop off the perch

pretty neat huh!

the trouble with chucking stuff out of the pram is that some-one needs to pick them up

I can't live without google - making sailing films and keeping them off youtube is like attempting to run a shop up a back alley with the window blinds down and door locked

the weird thing is that google owns everything I have created for the past ten years and will own everything I expect to create until I drop off the perch

pretty neat huh!

What's the deal with Vimeo? ARe they less greedy? You might find your viewers are more loyal than you think. If the Great British Bake off can move, maybe so can you.

I reckon the videography and production quality of these guys is unmatched. Leaves all those others for dead.

Thanks! the first one is really well done. And, if I'm not mistaken, they're sailing one of Bob's designs, a Lafitte 44.

I'm with you. Much more to my taste. Thanks.

Very understated. The second one begins with a local launch coming out to them in the middle of an estuary, hitching a halyard to their bollard and heeling them over. No narration - the pictures do the talking.

Wholly admirable.

I reckon the videography and production quality of these guys is unmatched. Leaves all those others for dead.

Wow, that is well done!

Thank you for this pearl.

I am amazed by the use of slow motion in sailing, which is also slow... very well done, a real talent!

I just found these guys also. Love the quality.

Wow! Maybe Delos should be calling a little employee-owned company in La Rochelle and start negotiating their shiny new free 55' Amel!

I would definitely go sailing with them. They are a cool couple who are active and enjoying life. Good on them!

They could make a lot more if they spiced up their vids a bit and uploaded them to pornhub.

I've heard that sailing against the trades is a real ass-whooping. These guys obviously made it, but was it luck or good planning?

Is there a time of year when the tradewinds moderate, making this less of a pain mission or is it always bad? If sailing against the trades is always inadvisable, how does one get from Mexico or Central America to say, the BVI's or Turks and Caicos?

Sorry for my ignorance, but my time in the Caribbean was on a submarine and we had no trouble going to windward.

I've heard that sailing against the trades is a real ass-whooping. These guys obviously made it, but was it luck or good planning?

Is there a time of year when the tradewinds moderate, making this less of a pain mission or is it always bad? If sailing against the trades is always inadvisable, how does one get from Mexico or Central America to say, the BVI's or Turks and Caicos?

Sorry for my ignorance, but my time in the Caribbean was on a submarine and we had no trouble going to windward.

Risk of hurricane aside, they did it the right time, Summer is the best time as trade winds weakens and wind direction see a wider range of change. Once from Curacao to Dominican Republic we had to motor for 24hrs because it was super calm, and that was june. It's a lot harder in the winter when trade winds are at their best.

They could make a lot more if they spiced up their vids a bit and uploaded them to pornhub.

I have to agree. lol. She is smoking hot.

Doesn't an El Nino year reverse the Trades in the Pacific for some narrow zones? How good are they now at predicting an El Nino year, so if say you make it to the Philippines there's the option of heading back out East?

The best time is to wait for a cold front in the winter and ride the westerlies that come with it. Ideal if you want to get from Miami to the Turks and Caicos for example: cross the stream close hauled on starboard in flat-ish water as soon as it turns past southwest and end up on downhill most of the way (stay a bit north at the end for when it goes NE after the front passes).

Otherwise you are just going to have to beat into 20-25 for a few days, which is not great fun...

Why not hire some hot babes in bikinis to refurb your boat and film that Ajax?

*IF* they were hot and mechanically/electrically talented, I do believe it would generate some interest.

At least they'd actually be doing something interesting while looking hot.

I lost interest in the above video when they filmed themselves napping in a hammock.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to find 2 or 3 hot babes who want to fix up my boat. Well...I know of one but she's all mine and I'm not sharing. :)

Wait, you're not sharing ..for her to fix your own boat?! 😏

Doesn't an El Nino year reverse the Trades in the Pacific for some narrow zones? How good are they now at predicting an El Nino year, so if say you make it to the Philippines there's the option of heading back out East?

El Nino doesn't reverse anything. What it does is change the temperature of the currents. If the temperature rises you get more rain or less rain if it falls. The trades everywhere disappear through summer regardless of El Nino. In the South Pacific that means the trades die off in October and after that the wind can come from anywhere. Summer winds in trade wind areas are usually light and variable interspersed with heavy storms. The trade winds return in April meaning the cruising season in the South Pacific is roughly 1 May to 1 November.

The full version in case you missed something.

And one couple come to a screeching halt.

I'm torn on this one, she's an obvious gold digger serial monogamist, he's a never deployed wannabe SF type.

I'm torn on this one, she's an obvious gold digger serial monogamist, he's a never deployed wannabe SF type.

It is amazing how the web and people's willingness to tell all allows you access to their lives

people come to boats and sailing for different reasons

as a bloke who has spent some fairly long periods sailing out of a wide range of marinas most live-aboards or near live-aboards have stories to tell

I have yet to come across a woman sailing/travelling alone - lots and lots of men alone on boats with a string of broken relationships behind them

I would not have said she is a gold digger - that seems a bit unfair

she has plenty of energy though

I asssume there are some fairly messy financial loose ends to sort out

You often get video series kick off - and then suddenly stop for no revealed reason

Some of these blogs are a sort of waterborn soap opera

We live in amazing times

D

The full version in case you missed something.

so the deal is the boat for one year

goodonem

I have been in touch with the marketing director for Westerly Yachts and have made my availability known to them

D

Interesting to see the Outremer factory. In the opening clip of the regatta scene where the girl is twirling under the dog leash, as the camera pans left, I spotted the former owners of a Catana 52 that I delivered from the Canaries to St Martin for the new owners. The couple who had done four crossings in the 52 wanted to downsize a bit and had bought a Outremer 49 I believe. I got to visit the 49 in St Martin and the wife admitted that she missed the Catana but the husband loved the auxilliary tiller steering on the Outremer for racing.

I would be happy with either! The Outremer 45 looks like it hits all the must haves for a Mom and Pop cat though.

I showed the video to my girlfriend and she just said, "That could have been us 40 years ago..." Actually I did this sort of adventure on a 46' trimaran but we didn't have small, light cheap cameras like the GoPro and certainly didn't have the technology that makes the onboard editing and distribution that these young whippersnappers do these days. Good on them though.

http://youtu.be/3jqGw9R84rk

Trailer park trash goes sailing. What a fucking nightmare she is. Pity her children have to be part of her attention whoreing.

http://youtu.be/3jqGw9R84rk

Trailer park trash goes sailing. What a fucking nightmare she is. Pity her children have to be part of her attention whoreing.

I looked through some of the older vids. No kids??!! Does she mean th bird and the dog? Nice ta tas though.