dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

how are they doing it - making lekki that is?

which episode did they mention it in and where... it would be good to avoid too many of the long PTCs -pieces to camera

and - why have they taken the guard rails off?

D

I didn't investigate in detail but if you watch the last episode you will see that the diesel engine has been replaced by an electric motor.

They are actually now part of the very short list of sailors on my YT subscribe list. (You, white spot pirates and them)

When is the Sailing Doodles with 2 fuckin dogs useless prick, with a new borrow boat and a new girl with fringe benefits going to flash her cans...them puppies have the potential to crush the Vags new blow ups me thinks in $ Patreon land.

The sailing UMA folks have a series of videos from before they set off that follow how they converted the boat to electric drive.

49 minutes ago, DavidC59 said:

The sailing UMA folks have a series of videos from before they set off that follow how they converted the boat to electric drive.

that was jolly good

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

When is the Sailing Doodles with 2 fuckin dogs useless prick, with a new borrow boat and a new girl with fringe benefits going to flash her cans...them puppies have the potential to crush the Vags new blow ups me thinks in $ Patreon land.

Her name should be Bimbo 

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

that was jolly good

The guy is obviously competent but I can't help but think that after all the modifications/rebuild/etc. they would've been better off just buying a brand new electric motor in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

The guy is obviously competent but I can't help but think that after all the modifications/rebuild/etc. they would've been better off just buying a brand new electric motor in the first place. 

who can say what their finances are.... and when you are making do and mending the Meccano Heads want to see how it all turns out. 

I blogged about the engine troubles with the slug -  it was a running series through one summer  as I got the bastard running again  - but it lost me ten weeks of summer sailing - and I would rather sail than fettle any day

but I decided to drop the engine repair stuff from the proper playlists and films which will be the record of my snapshot of a small island.

I decided that when people are watching my films I want them to be in the moment of the sailing - in the cockpit with me - not mithering about engines, filters, taking the rubbish to the bin, filling the tanks, using showers, going shopping, driving to and from the boat.    There is a market for boat repairing films - untie the lines has always done a high ratio of repairs to sailing while sail life has taken it to the extreme and is nothing but repairing.

As a sailor I always try to maximise the sailing to fettling ratio - so in the dreamworld of KTL films it is all voyaging - just the lovely bits about being a travelling sailor.

this is, I regret to say,  my most successful youtube  film - 74,000 hits - which would be a disaster for the market leaders

39 minutes ago, IStream said:

Electric motors are quite expensive and he might not have found something off the shelf fitting exactly his needs so he would probably have had to get some machining done anyway.

Funny thing is that on CA there was consensus that electric motors were an expensive dead end when discussing Dave's boat and this guy seems to have made it work in a relatively low tech fashion. I think that it can make sense, especially on a smaller boat and if you can also use it as a water generator.

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

Electric motors are quite expensive and he might not have found something off the shelf fitting exactly his needs so he would probably have had to get some machining done anyway.

Funny thing is that on CA there was consensus that electric motors were an expensive dead end when discussing Dave's boat and this guy seems to have made it work in a relatively low tech fashion. I think that it can make sense, especially on a smaller boat and if you can also use it as a water generator.

Dave's use case was untenable for an electric drive and his workaround of installing a big genset so he could motor for hours only added the drawbacks of diesel to the drawbacks of electric. At least these kids aren't trying to do that, though I only watched a few episodes.

If all they want to do is get in and out of harbors, their system should work fine as long as they've got a lot of solar to recharge between uses or they go to marinas on a regular basis. If they're relying on it for long-distance motoring, they'll be disappointed no matter what. 

On 1/13/2018 at 6:59 AM, dylan winter said:

Oh I dunno - some the language he uses in the scripts is pretty pretentious at times

keeptuyrningleft_deben_winter_Still004.j

You can take the boy out of The BBC, but you can't take the...(:

3 hours ago, IStream said:

Competent? You must be joking. I'll grant a level of 'get-er-done' metal butchery but that video made me cringe. He would have been a lot better off taking the rotor to a machine shop to remachine the taper, cut the key and balance the assembly. I would have gotten the flange runout down to a guaranteed less than 0.002", and likely it would have been in the 0.0002 to 0.0005" range.

FKT

Of course, but his hack jobs are definitely a cut above the typical hack job.

3 hours ago, IStream said:

If all they want to do is get in and out of harbors, their system should work fine as long as they've got a lot of solar to recharge between uses or they go to marinas on a regular basis. If they're relying on it for long-distance motoring, they'll be disappointed no matter what. 

They aren't charging on solar alone, that wouldn't work very well.

Yes, I was cringing a bit too. About the level of a good 3rd world machine shop that lacks proper tools but can manage something...

10 hours ago, IStream said:

Christ that electric motor has been in and out of the boat that many times they could have rebuilt the existing diesel and spent the time and money saved to actually go sailing.

6 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Christ that electric motor has been in and out of the boat that many times they could have rebuilt the existing diesel and spent the time and money saved to actually go sailing.

Probably get more than 30 minutes power from the rebuilt diesel too.

FKT

Looked at electric as a option when repowering recently for all of about 10 minutes.

Oceanvolt for 35ft 22000 plus 6kw generator 12000.

Loved this , “as long as you have fuel for the generator you have range”

9 hours ago, Zonker said:

Yes, I was cringing a bit too. About the level of a good 3rd world machine shop that lacks proper tools but can manage something...

Some 3rd world technicians/engineers are extremely knowledgeable and for stuff like this which ain't rocket science (transferring a few kW of mechanical power into a shaft isn't especially demanding) the low tech approach works. In the early noughties I had to resuscitate an old load cell and test rig in Bogotá and in these small Colombian shops anything seems possible. True, it won't look as neat and industrial as something made in Europe or North America but like low tech farm equipment it seems to last forever.

4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Looked at electric as a option when repowering recently for all of about 10 minutes.

Oceanvolt for 35ft 22000 plus 6kw generator 12000.

Loved this , “as long as you have fuel for the generator you have range”

it is not off my agenda yet....

It will click into place eventually

It requires a change in the way you think about your boat....the upsides are massive

the downside is.... limited range. But how often do you need that range - I am sure that over the past ten years of sailing I have never run the engine for more than ten miles.

2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Our ears will enjoy it. You can't hear the wake of a Guillemot which makes them so pleasant to be around. 

guillimot-wake-jpg.145342

that is a very nice picture

D

I like the Uma kids. Very resourceful. 

I also enjoy these two quite a bit and love their boat.. 

8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

it is not off my agenda yet....

It will click into place eventually

It requires a change in the way you think about your boat....the upsides are massive

the downside is.... limited range. But how often do you need that range - I am sure that over the past ten years of sailing I have never run the engine for more than ten miles.

I quite agree. If you can live with the limited range then electric propulsion has a lot going for it. As for how often you need extended range, that depends on where you live and what you do. There isn't a right answer.

The inescapable fact is, though, that once your energy storage is depleted you're going to plug into shore power, run a gen set or wait a *loooong* time for PV panels to recharge the batteries. Even with much bigger capacity (and cheaper) batteries, you aren't getting away from this. So in your situation, Dylan, it isn't a case of not running an engine for more than 10 miles, it's not running the engine for more than 10 miles before tying up at a dock with shore power. Or firing up the gen set, which defeats the purpose IMO.

FKT

... unless you can use your motor as an hydro-generator also. If you have a true sailboat that can sail in light wind and you are under sail say 80-90% of the time, the hydro-generator will recharge fully your batteries while under sail.

39 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

... unless you can use your motor as an hydro-generator also. If you have a true sailboat that can sail in light wind and you are under sail say 80-90% of the time, the hydro-generator will recharge fully your batteries while under sail.

True and for long passages it may well be a good thing to do. I made provision when I put my hull together for a water generator.

Since I have an Autostream prop to minimise drag I'm hardly going to use a shaft generator. Nor I suspect are most other people. A fixed prop driven by an electric generator may charge your batteries when turned by passage through the water, depends on the exact electrical setup. But it's going to cost you a knot or so in light air. I'd be interested in seeing real-world figures on charge rates to see how long it took to recharge the batteries.

FKT

Yes, ideally you would want a variable pitch propeller but then you go down the complex systems rabbit hole. Some foldable propeller don't fold down until you block the shaft I wonder if that could be made to switch on and off reliably the generator mode with minimal drag when not in service.

Max Prop will regenerate but I don't have personal experience with this. AutoProp will re-gen the best, almost as much as a more complicated and expensive variable pitch prop. I ran an AutoProp on one side and a fixed three blade on the other side on a electric hybrid catamaran for nearly 6 months and the AutoProp was amazing. Not amazing enough for the owner to spring for a set of AutoProps. The one I was experimenting with was a loaner and had kept it for way too long so pulled it in Guatemala (in the water with just a snorkel) and left a note for the cheap owner to buy a pair and I would go back down and fit both to the boat. The loaner prop owner was ready to put a contract out on me and I was in hot water with him for a while until it got back from the US rep all cleaned and polished back up like new. Best $200 I spent on that trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Yes, ideally you would want a variable pitch propeller but then you go down the complex systems rabbit hole. Some foldable propeller don't fold down until you block the shaft I wonder if that could be made to switch on and off reliably the generator mode with minimal drag when not in service.

I have a Sabb 18HP diesel with controllable pitch prop sitting in my workshop in search of the right hull to fit it to. Too small for my Witch hull (though Tom wouldn't have agreed with me I suspect). Even now if I could get my hands on the 30HP Sabb CPP setup I'd be tempted to fit the g/box and drive system.

They aren't that complex at the prop end, the CPP g/box bit is a bit more so.

I've also got a UK PNP-Duerr CPP sitting in the parts collection waiting for its turn on the work bench. Friend of mine has a Hundested CPP because he found it before I did. It's interesting looking at how different companies went about solving the same problem. I like interesting mechanical things.

FKT

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I have a Sabb 18HP diesel with controllable pitch prop sitting in my workshop in search of the right hull to fit it to. Too small for my Witch hull (though Tom wouldn't have agreed with me I suspect). Even now if I could get my hands on the 30HP Sabb CPP setup I'd be tempted to fit the g/box and drive system.

They aren't that complex at the prop end, the CPP g/box bit is a bit more so.

I've also got a UK PNP-Duerr CPP sitting in the parts collection waiting for its turn on the work bench. Friend of mine has a Hundested CPP because he found it before I did. It's interesting looking at how different companies went about solving the same problem. I like interesting mechanical things.

FKT

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=405712

5 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Thanks for that reference. Unfortunately those engines have the conventional gearbox not the CPP gear. I want the CPP gear (g/box, thrust/cutless assembly, prop & the prop end stub of the prop shaft) more than I want the engine itself.

FKT

15 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

True and for long passages it may well be a good thing to do. I made provision when I put my hull together for a water generator.

Since I have an Autostream prop to minimise drag I'm hardly going to use a shaft generator. Nor I suspect are most other people. A fixed prop driven by an electric generator may charge your batteries when turned by passage through the water, depends on the exact electrical setup. But it's going to cost you a knot or so in light air. I'd be interested in seeing real-world figures on charge rates to see how long it took to recharge the batteries.

FKT

And therein lies the 'problem' with regeneration.  Low charge rate, high additional drag.  Okay for passage making but then, if you're on passage, running the engine isn't going to be a major part of your trip.  (well, unless you're of the persuasion that anything under 6 kts boat speed requires a twist of the key...)

25 minutes ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

uh oh, this is an electric motor thread now. 

Don't worry, it will drift back eventually. You could speed things up by posting recipes.

45 minutes ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

glorious ain't it?

it is the wonderful thing about this forum

it tolerates a massive lack of focus

here is a film about building your own ebike - you could use it on  a boat and the thumbnail has boats in the background

• Like 1

This guy doesn't seem to worried about losing boat speed while using aft mounted hydro generators.

2 hours ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

Don’t fret, pretty soon some tasty young busty lass in a minimal bikini will soon be along with a fifteen part vlog dedicated solely to demystifying electro propulsion installations and maintenance.

Yup ,the motor will go in and out endlessly whilst she is filmed from every available angle whilst confined in a tight space.

We actually  have a shaft generator on our boat - I suspect it is not nearly as efficient as it could be.  It's an alternator that's belted to the drive shaft, and we have a fixed 3-blade prop.  Haven't sailed the boat in light air without the fixed prop, so don't know how about the performance difference.  It's hard to get appropriate tension on as it's a very skinny belt and the pulley on the alternator is very small.  There's no way to clutch the belt in and out, so we only use it passage making when we're not planning on motoring, as motoring at above 3 kts seems to make the belt start to slip and then it heats up and explodes, so we mostly leave the belt off when we're sailing coastal.  It will put out a max of about 8A @ 12V while doing over 7kts, but has a pretty steep ramp up - under about 5.5kts it is basically useless.  On cloudy passages when the solar isn't keeping up with the autopilot we'll normally leave the shaft alternator on for 6-8 hours a day and it seems to cover our needs, unless it's light air sailing without good sun, at which point we end up having to motor just to charge to keep up with the pilot, as the wind vane struggles to drive in light air.  I probably wouldn't install the same system on the boat, but as we've already got it it's a nice charging adjunct offshore.

32 minutes ago, hdra said:

We actually  have a shaft generator on our boat - I suspect it is not nearly as efficient as it could be.  It's an alternator that's belted to the drive shaft, and we have a fixed 3-blade prop.  Haven't sailed the boat in light air without the fixed prop, so don't know how about the performance difference.  It's hard to get appropriate tension on as it's a very skinny belt and the pulley on the alternator is very small.  There's no way to clutch the belt in and out, so we only use it passage making when we're not planning on motoring, as motoring at above 3 kts seems to make the belt start to slip and then it heats up and explodes, so we mostly leave the belt off when we're sailing coastal.  It will put out a max of about 8A @ 12V while doing over 7kts, but has a pretty steep ramp up - under about 5.5kts it is basically useless.  On cloudy passages when the solar isn't keeping up with the autopilot we'll normally leave the shaft alternator on for 6-8 hours a day and it seems to cover our needs, unless it's light air sailing without good sun, at which point we end up having to motor just to charge to keep up with the pilot, as the wind vane struggles to drive in light air.  I probably wouldn't install the same system on the boat, but as we've already got it it's a nice charging adjunct offshore.

Not sure what type of belt you have but the poly-vee ribbed belts can be obtained in a variety of widths and have less rolling resistance than V bents so pulleys can be smaller diameter. You get better power transmission. Of course you're also looking at a lot of re-engineering in your case including most likely pulling the shaft. For 100 watts it hardly seems worth the trouble.

The fact that there's almost no output under 5.5 knots makes me think that the rolling resistance of the belt/alternator is basically preventing the prop from turning at all until the water pressure gets high. The fact that the belt disintegrates at 3 knots under engine power looks like confirmation. It'd be interesting to put a tachometer on the prop shaft to see what's happening.

Maybe you could make a YouTube video of it - and include a bikini babe or 2.....

FKT

Time to derail this unfortunate drift.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Time to derail this unfortunate drift.

isn;t she a shaft generator? ;-) 

Anyone have a good north sea sailing VLOG series they like? My google powers failed me. I'm thinking Norway, Sweden and the like. I enjoyed Dillans scotland series. Thanks

Cold meatballs in congealed gravy...

I like his motto, no bullshit just sailing. 

Some cool drone shots as well.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:58 PM, dacapo said:

Delos 2.0   is in the works

perhaps the Amel Super Marmu 2000 will be raffled off for $5 a chance  ;-)

Any color on this? Where did you see/read/hear this?

Another Amel?

After visiting the Amel yard Brian said that they planned on 'finishing" their voyage on Delos. Not sure what finishing means but I expect they will complete a circumnavigation in their current boat before upgrading.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Student_Driver said:

Another Amel?

one of their FB posts I stay up on............they;[re headed for Tobago as we speak...they mentions Delos 2.0

From their Patron page...

We are dedicated to exploring and capturing the amazing beauty of the people and resources of this planet we all live on!  Delos 2.0 will go bigger and better than ever imagined! We intend to start an expeditionary project aimed at exploration, conservation, and good ole' fashioned healthy livin' and adventure.  This could be a ridiculous 100 ft. mono-hull or insane Trimaran kitted out to explore the far corners of the earth.  And of course we'll capture it all on video, from start to finish!  Help us to conserve and share this small blue bubble we all call home with as many people as we can!

Fucking Bayliners and the people who operate them!  No law suit as no one was hurt?  Fake News???  How about the creep taking some responsibility?

Looked to me as if the boat smacked the guy closest to the camera as he jumped.  That had to cause some big hurt.

(I got black and blue from head to toe a couple of times, just from the gentle caresses of flipping my Hobie cat.) 

Edit:  According to the story, that was in fact the guy who filed the (first) lawsuit, and is claiming numerous injuries.

15 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

We are dedicated to exploring and capturing the amazing beauty of the people and resources of this planet we all live on!  Delos 2.0 will go bigger and better than ever imagined! We intend to start an expeditionary project aimed at exploration, conservation, and good ole' fashioned healthy livin' and adventure.  This could be a ridiculous 100 ft. mono-hull or insane Trimaran kitted out to explore the far corners of the earth.  And of course we'll capture it all on video, from start to finish!  Help us to conserve and share this small blue bubble we all call home with as many people as we can!

jumped. the. shark.

29 minutes ago, chester said:

jumped. the. shark.

No, I think he jumped the fishing boat and per below.  Well tried to anyway.  Holy sh*t on that Bayliner. Obviously further proof that money and brains don't always correlate.

13 hours ago, toddster said:

And another reason to keep that GoPro running... lawsuit fodder.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/01/chilling_video_fisherman_jumps.html#incart_std

Snappy little video of what it looks like to be run down by a Bayliner.  

Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.” Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.

Fuck this asshole. Instead of suing, I'd visit this guy in the wee hours and give him a "fake beating" with an aluminum ball bat.

19 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

Another Amel?

on instagram they said they want to get Delos back to the US and either do a major refit or buy a new boat, presumably bigger.

11 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Fucking Bayliners and the people who operate them!  No law suit as no one was hurt?  Fake News???  How about the creep taking some responsibility?

Maess suffered vision problems, headaches and injuries to his ankle, leg and arm from jumping into the water or being struck by debris, according to the suit. Five months after the crash, he wears a knee brace, the suit says.

McMahon and Durham also suffered injuries, including cuts or hypothermia. They haven’t filed suit against Larsen but have hired attorneys who say they plan to. Portland attorney Josh Lamborn said his client, Durham, also has suffered psychological trauma and, even though fishing is a big part of her life, hasn’t been able to go back out on a boat since the crash.

That is PLENTY of injuries to bring a lawsuit for $350k, when you include punitive damages. Gross negligence on the part of the Bayliner driver, even his own son-in-law said he was texting all morning while driving the boat. He has criminal charges against him to, pleaded not guilty. What an ass.

18 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Well. That's probably a nail in Dylan's coffin. Damnit.

I don't think Dylan has been able to get anything out of YouTube for a while now.

28 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Well. That's probably a nail in Dylan's coffin. Damnit.

no monetisation on my films - every advertising and data harvesting penny goes to google. 

it is what they call a trickle down economy

the modus operandi of google is to gently tighten the screw on anyone monetising films.... other than them of course .. bloody clever folks I think

D

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Fuck this asshole. Instead of suing, I'd visit this guy in the wee hours and give him a "fake beating" with an aluminum ball bat.

hopefully the judge throws his ass in jail for a bit.  I've seen this picture before, on my river, with three dead people as the consequence.  There are just a few inches between luck and death when you hit something at that speed, and if a guy does it once, he'll do it again.

19 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

no monetisation on my films - every advertising and data harvesting penny goes to google. 

it is what they call a trickle down economy

the modus operandi of google is to gently tighten the screw on anyone monetising films.... other than them of course .. bloody clever folks I think

D

That's right, I'd forgotten.  "Trickle" being the operative word. :(

9 hours ago, seabell said:

Looks like I will survive this round of YouTube belt tightening.   

New threshold for getting paid is 1,000 subscribers (I have 1,500) and 4,000 hours of watch time in the last 12 months (I have 10,000).

My revenue for the last 30 days is $18.10.  Woohoo.

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Panope said:

Looks like I will survive this round of YouTube belt tightening.   

New threshold for getting paid is 1,000 subscribers (I have 1,500) and 4,000 hours of watch time in the last 12 months (I have 10,000).

My revenue for the last 30 days is $18.10.  Woohoo.

Steve

Can you make a dozen cans last a month? Or perhaps a 6-pack plus a bottle of cheap plonk?

Don’t drink it all at once :)

On 1/17/2018 at 7:01 AM, Student_Driver said:

It’d be interesting to see what impact Delos’ rise had on Amel sales. Would need a lot to earn a 64 but what would be the drop if Brian hooks up something more like Seamaster next. Anyone know if Amel is one of the patrons?

They’re going up to the ice (not on Delos) which might lengthen their wick for colder waters. If they Delos2 through the northwest passage then it’ll put a dent on bikini-time. Might need an onboard sauna to get those shots, or otherwise some rather stiff nipples!

62FE3D2F-309A-4548-B9FB-6F93E335BCD3.jpeg

That kid Guirec -the one with the chicken- filmed himself / was filmed paddling his SUP around the icebergs in just his board shorts.  Obviously the Delosians will have to top that.

But I think they’d be nuts to go into debt for a new boat. 

There was a better cut than this, but I can’t find it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HFC Hunter said:

Can you make a dozen cans last a month? Or perhaps a 6-pack plus a bottle of cheap plonk?

Don’t drink it all at once :)

One dozen per month is about right, but I can't stand the cheap, canned swill.   If had employed a bikini girl for just one anchor video (cranking the windlass), I could drink the good stuff for life.

Steve

Cans presence seems somewhat proportional to cans presents

11 hours ago, toddster said:

That kid Guirec -the one with the chicken- filmed himself / was filmed paddling his SUP around the icebergs in just his board shorts.  Obviously the Delosians will have to top that.

But I think they’d be nuts to go into debt for a new boat. 

There was a better cut than this, but I can’t find it

Thank you for posting.  I enjoyed the video.

I found myself wondering if any of those sled dogs had ever tasted chicken.

1 hour ago, captain_crunch said:

I found myself wondering if any of those sled dogs had ever tasted chicken.

As I understand it, he took one of them with him through most or all of the Northwest Passage.  But now he is on a long non-stop passage to Tierra del Fuego and the dog is left behind.  There was some claim that the next segment will be overland to the South Pole, in which case, I'd guess the dog would go along and the chicken would stay with the boat?  (Er... I guess not. Dogs are banned from Antarctica.)  

(Man, that would be a mess to come back to...)

https://www.guirecsoudee.com

(Man, he is really out there in the middle of nowhere right now... 48 days out of San Francisco)

Check out Mr. DIY....

He made a picture frame not fall over on a heel. (I'm sure your clicks will add to their views and you can certainly donate to their Patreon account if you've learned something handy like he just did).

Bet that was an all day project, maybe two.

It's inspiring to see millennial snowflakes finding their way out of their parents home at age 29 and figuring out all the benefits of Velcro.

And (if you can manage to make it that far through this video), don't forget to give them suggestions on where they should store their "door boards".  

I myself have one or two ideas...

On 1/15/2018 at 7:58 PM, seabell said:

There's this guy: 

Thanks, but I guess I want a little bullshit. In the way of a travelogue about the area. Just watching cruisers sail is pretty boring.

The problem with Mr. No Bullshit, Just Sailing, is that he does the same thing over and over again- Back and forth to the Shetlands.

I get it-  winter sailing off the coast of Norway is brutal. He's a tough guy who goes out into it regularly. He likes tinned, cold, crap food and he loves his drone.  This is why I don't film myself. Who wants to watch me sail up and down the Chesapeake over and over again?

If he doesn't add to his repertoire, his viewership will probably evaporate.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:21 PM, thereefgeek said:

Check out Mr. DIY....

He made a picture frame not fall over on a heel. (I'm sure your clicks will add to their views and you can certainly donate to their Patreon account if you've learned something handy like he just did).

Bet that was an all day project, maybe two.

It's inspiring to see millennial snowflakes finding their way out of their parents home at age 29 and figuring out all the benefits of Velcro.

And (if you can manage to make it that far through this video), don't forget to give them suggestions on where they should store their "door boards".  

I myself have one or two ideas...

Christ was this boring. Or should I say, "oh my gosh"?

50 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Nike - German woman - aluminium boat somewhere hot - is going to have a go at putting a film behind a paywall

https://www.reelhouse.org/ptrc/untie-the-lines

$17 for 1 hour and 44 mins as a download

what goes around comes around.

I have followed her story from the beginning.

Amazing that she hasn't given up. Quite resourceful girl. 

Isn't this the "White Spot Pirate" chick?

In any case, I agree with the paywall.  Why work so hard to enrich Google? It's time for artists/writers/whatever to get what they deserve. In some cases, that will mean success and fame, in other cases it will mean a flame-out and disappearing into the foggiest corners of the internet. A paywall would go a long way towards weeding out the really shitty vlogs.

Just one comment on her price-  I pay approximately the same amount to watch a professionally produced film in a theater to watch a comparable length film. Her price is too high. I'd pay $10 to watch per film at that length...if the series was any good.

35 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Isn't this the "White Spot Pirate" chick?

In any case, I agree with the paywall.  Why work so hard to enrich Google? It's time for artists/writers/whatever to get what they deserve. In some cases, that will mean success and fame, in other cases it will mean a flame-out and disappearing into the foggiest corners of the internet. A paywall would go a long way towards weeding out the really shitty vlogs.

Just one comment on her price-  I pay approximately the same amount to watch a professionally produced film in a theater to watch a comparable length film. Her price is too high. I'd pay $10 to watch per film at that length...if the series was any good.

It will be fascinating watching what happens and if she repeats the trick

I used to sell double dvds for $25 - they were a single season production and ran for about 3.5 hours - the cost of copying them and sending them out was around $10

In my best year I shifted around 1,000 -  some people would buy the complete seven part set - so the long tail was working pretty well for me

but....

I think that consumers are so well schooled by google  in "it is digits so it is all free" and has been inserted into out thoughts and we are unlikely to go back. Most of us would waste an hour looking at free tosh than spend $5 watching an hour of well made stuff.

The price per hour of netflix is hugely flexible depending upon how you use it.

My daughter works for a video production house.  Face-book is throwing a lot of money at "family friendly" videos - I am told that it is £20 million a month spread across 100 production houses. Face-book is getting ready for the Ukrainian/Russian/Trumpist fall out because their revenue from political stuff is about to dry up.

She also says that face-book are going around recruiting people with a track record on high hits on youtube - she has had one that has had - wait for it - a billion hits. It was about halloween shoes. 

The interesting thing is that face-book are commissioning material at nine minutes as opposed to the standard 90 seconds.

Apparently they want the films longer so that they can insert three advertising bursts in the films.

What works today will not work tomorrow.

Facebook are commissioning a series of these

I just had a look at La Vag patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

their income is staying pretty steady at $9,400 a week from 1700 patrons

https://www.patreon.com/svdelos

delos has a similar number of subscribers but they seem to pay more per film. Their income is $13,300 from 1,700 patrons.

They both churn out a film every week - which is amazing productivity

29 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I just had a look at La Vag patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

their income is staying pretty steady at $9,400 a week from 1700 patrons

https://www.patreon.com/svdelos

delos has a similar number of subscribers but they seem to pay more per film. Their income is $13,300 from 1,700 patrons.

They both churn out a film every week - which is amazing productivity

$65-$95/year for the average patron is not insignificant. It'll be interesting to see how elastic that demand is in the next economic downturn.

Just the thought of forcing a weekly schedule seems self-defeating.  It might take a bit of courage to post only when significant content has been generated.  

On the other hand, that “Sea Bear” guy asked for one big shot of kickstarter funding, which he got, then seemed to just disappear.  We don’t know if he’s still working or not.