dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Best quote ever:

"Then there was the night a horrified Riley struggled to locate Elayna on their 43ft yacht - fearing the worst and that she’d tumbled overboard in the pitch black.

Unbeknownst to him, Elayna had been plucking her eyebrows, at 4am in the morning, in a toilet cubicle they never used.

Riley said: “It was the worst 20 seconds of my entire life. I woke up and I wandered into the saloon and there was no one there."

That quote pretty much encapsulates everything you need to know about both of them. I've not watched more than 5 minutes total of their vlog and this confirms every initial conclusion I drew. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chester said:

They're up to 41,000 miles now?  

I had trouble with that number as well. They sailed boat #1 TO NZ and then left it there which would be about 20,000 nm at the most. They wouldn't have much on boat #2. Maybe 3,000 nm ?

Its been about a month since I put together my long list of YouTube channels on sailing and I keep finding more every day.  This is down right depressing that there are so many fools out there that think they can make a living at this.  At this point I watch a few, maybe around 10 at the most, and I have cut quite a few off because I can't stand the same old story.  Hey out there if you are trying to make a go of this, come up with a unique story!!!!!!  Its gotten to where most of them are just down right pathetic.  If I see another swimming pig, jump into a grotto, or hear a "We gave up everything to sail the world and want to take you along" then I'll just crack.  And your dog or cat ain't drama!!  

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, Monkey Butler said:

In a storm

or hurricane

neither lightning

neither rain

Amer-eeeee-can Adventurer.....

Damn, now that theme song is stuck in my head.

Oh fuck.  I’ve seen some bad ones, but this....  Wow.  I need ear bleach, eye bleach, and a fucking lobotomy.

OK so this video isn't about playing around water.

But I'm thinking is is simply the best work I have seen - a small team of enthusiasts (FliteTest / Josh Bixler) armed with videos and Go Pro's. 29 Minutes of amazing. No fun bags required. 

Makes me wonder what could be done for sailing if vloggers took their work to the next level. It's worth looking at some of the other FliteTest videos (RC & Fullscale)- they know how to operate with passion.

Great video but it looks like the tanker takeoff was spliced in from a different field or at least the date as there is snow on the ground and the grass is dead and brown. The grass was much greener and the ground crew is running around in short sleeve shirts for the fighter footage. Must be Maxwell in Montgomery and you can see the huge Hyundai assembly plant on the approach. These being Alabama Air Nat Guard, I wonder if the red vert stabilisers are in homage to the 'Red Tails' of the Tuskeegee Airmen. 

How many civilians can claim to have rolled a F 16?

Great story, and he's one tough bird. It would be very easy to just give up and sit around. Apparently neither mountain climbing nor sailing in shit weather are exciting enough on their own, they have to combine the two, to get enough gratification!

It was always there below the surface but now it's explicit. I like how he all but admitted to not declaring his firearms anywhere but Australia. 

I got a lot of stick for saying that two strokes were not very environmentally friendly. I am sure people will be easier on him for carrying guns.

I myself always carry a glue gun on board if that makes me seem any harder than I already am. I find that the gun is very helpful when in a sticky situation

D

• Like 2

On 04/01/2018 at 3:49 PM, Zonker said:

Unbeknownst to him, Elayna had been plucking her eyebrows, at 4am in the morning, in a toilet cubicle they never used

The idiot must deaf not to hear the 2 stroke hedge trimmer going flat chat.

Another couple of inches and there would be one less inane sailing channel. There is no god. These young vloggers are an incestious lot and no doubt breeding down the world's collective IQ. If you recognise the chick..she is the one off Delos that left in Madagascar to go do her own thing. 

PS I have worked out the new blow up cans strategy...don't show them makes you come back hoping to get a peek. Sneaky bastards.

31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Another couple of inches and there would be one less inane sailing channel. There is no god. These young vloggers are an incestious lot and no doubt breeding down the world's collective IQ. If you recognise the chick..she is the one off Delos that left in Madagascar to go do her own thing. 

PS I have worked out the new blow up cans strategy...don't show them makes you come back hoping to get a peek. Sneaky bastards.

There does exist the option of not following them, anti-fan that you are.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yeah your probably right Ish..the moment they see sunlight this place will light up.

You can probably set a trigger word to have SA email you if someone says "nipple". This is the 21st century, apparently.

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I got a lot of stick for saying that two strokes were not very environmentally friendly. I am sure people will be easier on him for carrying guns.

I myself always carry a glue gun on board if that makes me seem any harder than I already am. I find that the gun is very helpful when in a sticky situation

D

You forgot the drum roll.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:49 PM, Zonker said:

Best quote ever:

"Then there was the night a horrified Riley struggled to locate Elayna on their 43ft yacht - fearing the worst and that she’d tumbled overboard in the pitch black.

Unbeknownst to him, Elayna had been plucking her eyebrows, at 4am in the morning, in a toilet cubicle they never used.

Riley said: “It was the worst 20 seconds of my entire life. I woke up and I wandered into the saloon and there was no one there."

I wonder what the best 20 seconds of his life were like. Besides if she was doing those eyebrows she must have been missing for hours.

8 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Oh my.

Now this has to be posted in the PA gun clubhouse thread. I will be right back...

• Like 1

We need Boothy to tell us about shooting seagulls again.

11 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Oh my.

I watched this...... it was fascinating...

I learned a lot about taking your own bubble of fear and suspicion with you as you go around the World

Travel broadens the mind I have heard

Dylan

• Like 2

I'm reminded of the case of Peter Tangvald's wife Lydia.  Their boat was approached by a fishing boat.  They were nervous they might be pirates.  Lydia appeared on deck with a gun.  One of the fishermen shot her dead.  The fishing boat passed on by without any boarding attempt.  The appearance of the gun had created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

2 minutes in, this guy gave me a headache. I shut it off.

13 hours ago, dylan winter said:

D

Boom boom!

(Basil Brush reference, not a gunshot.)

14 hours ago, dylan winter said:

D

I carry a grease gun. Glue gun gets you into sticky situations,  grease gun gets you out of them...

Cheers, 

W.

6 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

I'm reminded of the case of Peter Tangvald's wife Lydia.  Their boat was approached by a fishing boat.  They were nervous they might be pirates.  Lydia appeared on deck with a gun.  One of the fishermen shot her dead.  The fishing boat passed on by without any boarding attempt.  The appearance of the gun had created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As a former deputy US Marshal, all I can say is don't pull a weapon out unless you intend to use it. Once you show a weapon, you have instantly upped the ante to life-or-death for everyone present. If you try to wave it around as a threat, you are in serious trouble - or worse.

• Like 6

Guns on board are now completely obsolete as the pirates are now all running chandlerys.

• Like 4

I carry a heat gun.  One blast of hot (ok, warmish) air right in the kisser and those lips get chapped and send the pervs away screaming madly!

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Guns on board are now completely obsolete as the pirates are now all running chandlerys.

As opposed to the past, when all the chandleries were run by pirates.......

FKT

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

What a fucking idiot. I wonder how many takes that took? I see Brows has been spending their hard earned pateon money on a few tatts as well as the new deck. Hit the button folks - she can soon look like this

9ef03b974217bb5bd50e93971716f64c.jpg

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I never leave port without my gun Gum

549771951.jpg

Does your gun gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight ?

Cant wait till Zatara's next episode when they are seized and put in jail for entering a country with illegal guns, which they just told the whole internet about.

If you do have guns on board, why would you ever tell anyone? If you dont have guns on board, why would you ever tell anyone?

35 minutes ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

Cant wait till Zatara's next episode when they are seized and put in jail for entering a country with illegal guns, which they just told the whole internet about.

I'm sincerely hoping this happens.

This one is a bit perplexing. They seem like super nice kids, but haven't gone anywhere and have only sailed their boat like 2 or 3 times total - yet they have 50K subscribers. I think this is also the only one that I have seen that was a sponsored post suggested to me on youtube. For those aspiring vlogers out there, perhaps that initial investment is worth is. But lets be honest, they aren't on Anarchy.

Also, this one comes with a drinking game:

1) Every time they say "bluewater", take a drink

2) Every time they mansplain what they think "bluewater" means, finish your drink

3) Every time "bluewater" really just means cruising, take a shot

....now try and get through two episodes.....

Delos 2.0   is in the works

perhaps the Amel Super Marmu 2000 will be raffled off for $5 a chance  ;-)

12 minutes ago, monsoon said:

+1  Where are they headed and who do I call?

You'll have to look on the interwebs for that. Don't believe anything these people tell you, they can't be trusted.

11 minutes ago, IStream said:

Fenders are for wusses.

Doubly so if you're the only one with a steel boat.

FKT

9 hours ago, freewheelin said:

This makes me feel anxious. Also, why do the tie their fenders to?

They mostly only anchor out.  Currently in a marina in Columbia but if you've seen their topsides, well, the days for needing fenders are long ago in their wake.  Pretty resourceful and don't need much.  They tracked down a repair to their GPS circuit board in Columbia--$2 got it working again.  Alas,  I'm not that resourceful.....  They're living life!

On 11/01/2018 at 9:19 AM, dylan winter said:

guard wires are for wusses

Cuts down on weight and windage and one less thing to trip over. Besides, what could possibly go wrong?!!

Love this thread, it has a little of everything, cruising, sex, tits, and boats.  It is getting a little long in the tooth though, can't remember the original posts.

8 minutes ago, usedtobeoldestsailor said:

Love this thread, it has a little of everything, cruising, sex, tits, and boats.  It is getting a little long in the tooth though, can't remember the original posts.

that is the glory of the thing

and this forum too for its epic drift

13 hours ago, Veeger said:

They mostly only anchor out.  Currently in a marina in Columbia but if you've seen their topsides, well, the days for needing fenders are long ago in their wake.  Pretty resourceful and don't need much.  They tracked down a repair to their GPS circuit board in Columbia--$2 got it working again.  Alas,  I'm not that resourceful.....  They're living life!

indeed. and if they were a little less pretentious i could make it through an episode. they are out there doing it though, so good on em

1 minute ago, dylan winter said:

that is the glory of the thing

and this forum too for its epic drift

I believe it started with something about 2 women getting rescued by dogs?

25 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

I believe it started with something about 2 women getting rescued by dogs?

Don't they all?

14 hours ago, Veeger said:

Colombia... Good on them for exploring beyond the most travelled routes.

2 hours ago, freewheelin said:

indeed. and if they were a little less pretentious i could make it through an episode. they are out there doing it though, so good on em

pretentious (prĭ-tĕnˈshəs)

• adj.
    Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.
  • adj.
    Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.

I suppose that's the hallmark of most of the vlogs these days.    I'd consider Uma to be a bit less so, certainly not the 2nd definition,  but depending on one's sensitivity to it, well.
Although there are exceptions  (looking at you Dylan--no pretentiousness there).  Simple storytelling  is grand!

Just now, dylan winter said:

Oh I dunno - some the language he uses in the scripts is pretty pretentious at times

keeptuyrningleft_deben_winter_Still004.j

Must be that toff education you got.

21 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Oh I dunno - some the language he uses in the scripts is pretty pretentious at times

The language may be pretentious (by low brow 'Murikan standards) but the guy that shoots, edits and narrates---not so much.

On 10/01/2018 at 11:19 PM, dylan winter said:

guard wires are for wusses

They seemed to have managed to design an electric propulsion that also serves as a watergenerator. Interesting. 

3 hours ago, Panoramix said:

They seemed to have managed to design an electric propulsion that also serves as a watergenerator. Interesting. 

The boat looks like an early 1970s one tonner. 1973 ?  1974 ?

I was wondering what he was talking about with losing electricity when I couldn't hear a genset running. An electric generator makes sense . . . . . I think.

In the next video, it's possible to have a peek at it. Yes I think that if you cruise long distance it can make sense. 

how are they doing it - making lekki that is?

which episode did they mention it in and where... it would be good to avoid too many of the long PTCs -pieces to camera

and - why have they taken the guard rails off?

D

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

how are they doing it - making lekki that is?

which episode did they mention it in and where... it would be good to avoid too many of the long PTCs -pieces to camera

and - why have they taken the guard rails off?

D

I didn't investigate in detail but if you watch the last episode you will see that the diesel engine has been replaced by an electric motor.

They are actually now part of the very short list of sailors on my YT subscribe list. (You, white spot pirates and them)

When is the Sailing Doodles with 2 fuckin dogs useless prick, with a new borrow boat and a new girl with fringe benefits going to flash her cans...them puppies have the potential to crush the Vags new blow ups me thinks in $ Patreon land.

The sailing UMA folks have a series of videos from before they set off that follow how they converted the boat to electric drive.

49 minutes ago, DavidC59 said:

The sailing UMA folks have a series of videos from before they set off that follow how they converted the boat to electric drive.

that was jolly good

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

When is the Sailing Doodles with 2 fuckin dogs useless prick, with a new borrow boat and a new girl with fringe benefits going to flash her cans...them puppies have the potential to crush the Vags new blow ups me thinks in $ Patreon land.

Her name should be Bimbo 

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

that was jolly good

The guy is obviously competent but I can't help but think that after all the modifications/rebuild/etc. they would've been better off just buying a brand new electric motor in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

The guy is obviously competent but I can't help but think that after all the modifications/rebuild/etc. they would've been better off just buying a brand new electric motor in the first place. 

who can say what their finances are.... and when you are making do and mending the Meccano Heads want to see how it all turns out. 

I blogged about the engine troubles with the slug -  it was a running series through one summer  as I got the bastard running again  - but it lost me ten weeks of summer sailing - and I would rather sail than fettle any day

but I decided to drop the engine repair stuff from the proper playlists and films which will be the record of my snapshot of a small island.

I decided that when people are watching my films I want them to be in the moment of the sailing - in the cockpit with me - not mithering about engines, filters, taking the rubbish to the bin, filling the tanks, using showers, going shopping, driving to and from the boat.    There is a market for boat repairing films - untie the lines has always done a high ratio of repairs to sailing while sail life has taken it to the extreme and is nothing but repairing.

As a sailor I always try to maximise the sailing to fettling ratio - so in the dreamworld of KTL films it is all voyaging - just the lovely bits about being a travelling sailor.

this is, I regret to say,  my most successful youtube  film - 74,000 hits - which would be a disaster for the market leaders

39 minutes ago, IStream said:

Electric motors are quite expensive and he might not have found something off the shelf fitting exactly his needs so he would probably have had to get some machining done anyway.

Funny thing is that on CA there was consensus that electric motors were an expensive dead end when discussing Dave's boat and this guy seems to have made it work in a relatively low tech fashion. I think that it can make sense, especially on a smaller boat and if you can also use it as a water generator.

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

Electric motors are quite expensive and he might not have found something off the shelf fitting exactly his needs so he would probably have had to get some machining done anyway.

Funny thing is that on CA there was consensus that electric motors were an expensive dead end when discussing Dave's boat and this guy seems to have made it work in a relatively low tech fashion. I think that it can make sense, especially on a smaller boat and if you can also use it as a water generator.

Dave's use case was untenable for an electric drive and his workaround of installing a big genset so he could motor for hours only added the drawbacks of diesel to the drawbacks of electric. At least these kids aren't trying to do that, though I only watched a few episodes.

If all they want to do is get in and out of harbors, their system should work fine as long as they've got a lot of solar to recharge between uses or they go to marinas on a regular basis. If they're relying on it for long-distance motoring, they'll be disappointed no matter what. 

On 1/13/2018 at 6:59 AM, dylan winter said:

You can take the boy out of The BBC, but you can't take the...(:

3 hours ago, IStream said:

Competent? You must be joking. I'll grant a level of 'get-er-done' metal butchery but that video made me cringe. He would have been a lot better off taking the rotor to a machine shop to remachine the taper, cut the key and balance the assembly. I would have gotten the flange runout down to a guaranteed less than 0.002", and likely it would have been in the 0.0002 to 0.0005" range.

FKT

3 hours ago, IStream said:

If all they want to do is get in and out of harbors, their system should work fine as long as they've got a lot of solar to recharge between uses or they go to marinas on a regular basis. If they're relying on it for long-distance motoring, they'll be disappointed no matter what. 

They aren't charging on solar alone, that wouldn't work very well.