• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

It is very interesting how the patron thing is now a business model.

Those guys don't even have a boat yet and they are already making 67$ a video.

I should have gotten myself a bigger boat with generator and AC and have youse guys pay for it! Stupid me...

I should have gotten myself a bigger boat with generator and AC and have youse guys pay for it! Stupid me...

you needs tits, a cute figure and a steady stream of videos

Better find yourself a hot chick to make pancakes.

Better find yourself a hot chick to make pancakes French Toast.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Beat me to it.

Fixed.

Beat me to it.

I already got one, but unfortunately she came with a brain and she is not very into getting filmed in a bikini. Plus it'a already a bit cold here for that...She can make pancake and cook very well too, which is fundamental for an italian...

I can leave without generator and AC and too much LWL, in fact I think that if I started to do something that generates revenue they will take away my International Institute of Not Doing Much membership (check here: http://slowdownnow.org )

I worked so hard to get to this point that it will be a shame if I have to work again so soon.

you needs tits, a cute figure and a steady stream of videos

From the blog:

Our budget for purchasing a boat was around $65,000. This may sound like a lot of money, but when trying to purchase a 40-50 foot sailboat with AC, generator, updated electronics and wiring, bluewater capability, and a nice, roomy interior, is extremely difficult.

It's not clear if they realize they're going to need to drop another $20K+ once they buy the boat. They took ASA101 on a lake, and have done a seven day cruising course to Catalina...

That sounds like the sum total of their experience as sailors. That's a lot of boat and a lot of systems for people that barely know how to sail.

To their credit, it sounds like they hired a good surveyor, and had the sense to walk from a boat. That is a positive sign that there may be more going on behind the scenes than the videos imply. Either they have more experience and sense than you'd expect, or they are getting good advice and are smart enough to take it.

She needs to stop saying "Me and Austin." He needs to lose the face caterpillar.

It's a pretty safe bet to write off anyone who has dreads.

Or bald headed fools.

Or bald headed fools.

Except for Moxie Marlinspike. Who has dreads, and bought a crappy little sailboat, and started writing about learning to sail it, and got panned by a lot of grumpy old dudes on internet forums for being a worthless hippie stoner layabout. Only... Moxie Marlinspike is about the smartest, richest, most highly-admired coder in the whole world of top-end coding. If he really wanted to cash out, he'd be worth more than every single person on this board, combined.

Gerry Spence (the basis for Matlock) wore fringed buckskin jackets in the courtroom and had a big old ponytail and talked all folksy to the jury. Opposing consul would still be laughing at him when he handed them their ass in a bucket. As Wiki notes, "As of 2014, Spence has never lost a criminal case either as a prosecutor or a defense attorney. He has not lost a civil case since 1969." Might be a little careful, judging people on appearances. That person might just be really good at what they do.;)

5869.jpg

Or bald headed fools.

Except for Moxie Marlinspike. Who has dreads, and bought a crappy little sailboat, and started writing about learning to sail it, and got panned by a lot of grumpy old dudes on internet forums for being a worthless hippie stoner layabout. Only... Moxie Marlinspike is about the smartest, richest, most highly-admired coder in the whole world of top-end coding. If he really wanted to cash out, he'd be worth more than every single person on this board, combined.

Gerry Spence (the basis for Matlock) wore fringed buckskin jackets in the courtroom and had a big old ponytail and talked all folksy to the jury. Opposing consul would still be laughing at him when he handed them their ass in a bucket. As Wiki notes, "As of 2014, Spence has never lost a criminal case either as a prosecutor or a defense attorney. He has not lost a civil case since 1969." Might be a little careful, judging people on appearances. That person might just be really good at what they do. ;)

5869.jpg

And David Boies is a legal whore who wears sneakers. Exceptions prove the rule.

Sure, tits and violence sell in the trans-lingual movie market. Which is wonderful if you want to watch that. I don't, and Hollywood doesn't make movies I give a crap about now. They have at various points in the past. Why I'd pay people I can't stand to sail, baffles me, but apparently people here are excited about it. Full speed into the reef chums!

OMG, I just watched episode 51 leaving from Maine in a sailboat. Doomed. That's all I have to say. Doomed.

Did they forget their bag of potatoes for the bow?

OMG, I just watched episode 51 leaving from Maine in a sailboat. Doomed. That's all I have to say. Doomed.

You watched 51 episodes?

FUCK no I didn't watch that much! I just saw one that said it was in Maine so I checked it out and hit the jackpot. They left the dock, well got towed off the dock cause they didn't dare back up. forgot the dog on shore, had to figure out how to put the sailboat in forward, anchored and proceeded to ground out and go high and dry, flood the boat, soak the electronics, eat raw oysters that were actually mussels, hmmm, what did I forget. yea, that was a good one.

Wait. Which series?

Yeah. Which series?

I tried to find the mythical episode 51 and I tell you it's almost as hard as finding the mythical Front Page. I found this - no tits but pretty entertaining.

50 episodes leading up to buying the boat? They are at #74 now, and I'm seeing a lot of titles like "Being Rescued". Phenomenal incompetence.

And one couple come to a screeching halt.

http://youtu.be/3jqGw9R84rk

I'm torn on this one, she's an obvious gold digger serial monogamist, he's a never deployed wannabe SF type.

Trailer park trash goes sailing. What a fucking nightmare she is. Pity her children have to be part of her attention whoreing.

I think that her idiot husband reached out to the SA community first regarding her drinkin problem..but she got wind of that so she gave herself an uppercut and called the cops...nice tits though below that fucked up brain.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=177076&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I'm torn on this one, she's an obvious gold digger serial monogamist, he's a never deployed wannabe SF type.

Trailer park trash goes sailing. What a fucking nightmare she is. Pity her children have to be part of her attention whoreing.

I think that her idiot husband reached out to the SA community first regarding her drinkin problem..but she got wind of that so she gave herself an uppercut and called the cops...nice tits though below that fucked up brain.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=177076&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I did not get the impression the Sailing Miss Lone Star folks had been married 16 years like that thread starts out with.

I watched that video where they grounded their boat. Left the boat with no idea of Maine's large tidal ranges. Came back to find the boat on its side. Then spent the day eating raw "oysters", which were mussels. Didnt realize the boat was flooding while they were collecting "oysters". Holy train wreck.

I did not get the impression the Sailing Miss Lone Star folks had been married 16 years like that thread starts out with.

Yea, I don't see anything to indicate this is the same couple.

I watched that video where they grounded their boat. Left the boat with no idea of Maine's large tidal ranges. Came back to find the boat on its side. Then spent the day eating raw "oysters", which were mussels. Didnt realize the boat was flooding while they were collecting "oysters". Holy train wreck.

I looked at her Facebook page...

Since the separation, I guess she was looking to move the boat south from Block Island and trying to find crew. It seemed fairly clear she had no idea how to do the passage safely herself.

Someone was found, no details except "we're here" down south somewhere.

Here's another channel with a hot self-absorbed babe and nerdy guy, with minimal pond sailing experience getting waaaayyy over their heads with a big boat and big sailing dreams. Although, the first few videos are interesting as they are looking at some boats and doing surveys that uncover issues.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFkC9XgixtSesp_BDhAUSpA

Here's another channel with a hot self-absorbed babe and nerdy guy, with minimal pond sailing experience getting waaaayyy over their heads with a big boat and big sailing dreams. Although, the first few videos are interesting as they are looking at some boats and doing surveys that uncover issues.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFkC9XgixtSesp_BDhAUSpA

Cool videos but the guys voice is so irritating. Its like he is sucking helium non stop.

Isn't that the same one linked some way up-thread? There are so many of these, it's unbelievable. Even more unbelievable, in casual conversations with 20-something slackers, (e.g., my tenants) they bring up their YouTube channel, and how many followers they have.

"But... But... You spend your entire life laying on the sofa watching television!" Which brings me to a rather horrifying exercise of trying to imagine the population that would find watching THAT interesting.

Isn't that the same one linked some way up-thread? There are so many of these, it's unbelievable. Even more unbelievable, in casual conversations with 20-something slackers, (e.g., my tenants) they bring up their YouTube channel, and how many followers they have.

"But... But... You spend your entire life laying on the sofa watching television!" Which brings me to a rather horrifying exercise of trying to imagine the population that would find watching THAT interesting.

Yeah, same one. And there seem to be a lot of them. And these videos (including one I really liked -"searching for bubbles" or "something bubbles") give these Bozos the idea that you don't have to know anything boatish at all, that you can just jump on one and learn along the way. Granted there are few survivors so far but inevitably someone's gonna cop it.

"Learn?" He circumnavigated with no life jackets or harnesses on board! I guess that's a vertical learning curve waiting to happen.

Like I said, "survivor". It was a nice little movie though. I got completely sucked into it. Maybe because I watched it at work and was hating life.

The worst nightmares of a Marshal McLuhan / Warhol world are coming true. "Reality" is about to eat itself and we're all famous. Five people will read this post: that makes me famous. A legend in my own lunchtime.

But there is a backlash.The kids will be alright - there's a big quest for the authentic out there. Fixed gear bikes and vinyl. It'll spread to boats soon as the need for heft in our life becomes clear.

two of the patreon pages for the sailing nervous and salty mermaid

https://www.patreon.com/sailingsaltymermaid

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=993142

under $90 an episode - hard to make any money at that income.

La vagabonde is bringing in $7k per episode

I love the transparency of the web

It's ripe for parody this stuff, isn't it? Although it might be hard to tell the one from the other. It epitomises the paradox of this age - simultaneously "empowering" individuals, while adding to the power and wealth of the new mega-corporations. Did you say that youtube has your copyrights?

I agree there is a lot of shit out there, but there are also some real gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEM5l9Is6VwuigEjRnVx1zw

You will not find a better made youtube series about sailing adventures. These guys must be pros.

Well, in fact, they are pros. It looks like their cameras cost as much as the boat. Who else would actually plan video shots while stripping the engine? Sounds like twice as much work!

They do have some serious video equipment, I wonder how they are protecting it from fungus and corrosion.

They are excellent films, beautifully shot, perfectly edited.

There is a feeling of distance about the beauty - you are watching their adventure rather than being sucked into it.

It is an excellent and refreshing take on the genre.

As for protecting the camera gear from the sea....I don't think you can

the sea always wins.... it will get it eventually

Life expectancy of a camera in my hands is about 18 months before it succumbs to the salt and humidity

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/blogs/three-excellent-films-from-three-men-and-a-dog/

davids-snap.jpg

I agree there is a lot of shit out there, but there are also some real gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEM5l9Is6VwuigEjRnVx1zw

You will not find a better made youtube series about sailing adventures. These guys must be pros.

Pretty good on all fronts ... putting aside Dylan's wonderful work, the only one of these self indulgent and or money grabbing things I have watched through to the end one episode.

Dire Straits summed you cranky old farts (I'm one too, just not on this subject) up perfectly, when Mark Knopfler still had a bit of hair:

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing music video (Good quality, all countries)

I think there is a degree of envy in some of the grumpier more begrudging posts.

But forgive the curmudgeons

Who the fek wouldn't be jealous of young good looking people who have discovered an amazing way of making a living - and that is just what the good ones - such as Lavagabonde are doing. Goodonem. Fpr most of us, by the time we were their age, we were in harness and afced a future of commuting and doing as we were told.

. One of my neighbours daughters, a qualified structural engineer, has left university and is now coming to terms with a job that stretches as far as she can see into the future. We had supper with the family on Friday night - man the working week had drained the life out of a once vivacous excited, joyous person. I am sure by saturday night she would have got her energy back.... but a nine to five is a dull bloody thing to contemplate when you are

These kids, for that is what they are in film making terms, are doing a bloody good job.

The market for their wares is not to be found here - These guys are regularly getting a million hits. For us though, they are making films with boats in them

so to some extent as sailors and net heads, we feel that we should at least scan through the occasional sample. Not clicking on an image of a girl in a bikini on a sunny foredeck is hard to resist. We are blokes and the crass knuckle dragging cave man lurks just beneath the surface.

For me they remind me that I when I was younger I should have saiiled more and worked less. In a way, these kids are showing us what life would have been like if our fathers had been loaded. I sailed as much as I coould when I was theri age - but they were only snatched at weekends and holidays. Good on these kids - I have had to wait a bloody long time for the freedom they have now.

As for Mark Knopfler -..

I made this film a while ago now - .

27,000 hits

this film comes with a warning that more than one version of his best bit of music is used.

I understand that this is a creative and sometimes lucrative way to finance dreams and a passage. But I also wonder if the preproduction, production and post production and documentation of almost every moment of the trip detracts from the moment? I mean does one ever look out at a scene and simply absorb the moment or is the moment lost in thinking about composition, light, shooting multiple angels, multiple takes, editing, scoring and will my audience buy into this and come back for more?

I guess you could always learn diesel mechanics or refrigeration and hope to finance you're way across. On balance, making films seems more attractive.

I understand that this is a creative and sometimes lucrative way to finance dreams and a passage. But I also wonder if the preproduction, production and post production and documentation of almost every moment of the trip detracts from the moment? I mean does one ever look out at a scene and simply absorb the moment or is the moment lost in thinking about composition, light, shooting multiple angels, multiple takes, editing, scoring and will my audience buy into this and come back for more?

I guess you could always learn diesel mechanics or refrigeration and hope to finance you're way across. On balance, making films seems more attractive.

Having been a cameraman and before that a radio reporter I have been to some amazing places - too many to remember. But they come flooding back when I hear or see an old film I shot. Then I remember the moments, the taste of the dust from the trucks, the insect attacks, the bloody frightening mountain roads, the names of the horses I have worked all return to me from the uncertain slop of mixed memories in my brain levered up by the digital images. It is all very well living the moment - but the moment slips so fast into the past and into the organic memory mush.

There is an element of what you say of your experience of a place - a whole 360 degree experience is compressed into a square frame 16 by 9 - and that is a shame - but it is a job and these guys are doing a job.

As for the editing.... as an old hack I can assure you that these guys are good at what they do ..... in the past a decent camereaman would get a shooting ratio of ten to one. Ten minutes of film for one minute on the screen.

My guess is these guys are shooting hours of material for each of their 18 minutes a week. Most of them commit to the weekly postings and to make the minutes they often spend too long yakking at the camera The cheapest films to make are those where a person is talking to the camera. That is why our screens are filled with pretty people blathering in your general direction

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in the crassness of the web this is my highest hitting film

just about to get 20 million hits - good money for google eh!

Dire Straits summed you cranky old farts (I'm one too, just not on this subject) up perfectly, when Mark Knopfler still had a bit of hair:

I think there is a degree of envy in some of the grumpier more begrudging posts.

Who the fek wouldn't be jealous of young good looking people who have discovered an amazing way of making a living - and that is just what the good ones - such as Lavagabonde are doing. Goodonem. Fpr most of us, by the time we were their age, we were in harness and afced a future of commuting and doing as we were told.

. One of my neighbours daughters, a qualified structural engineer, has left university and is now coming to terms with a job that stretches as far as she can see into the future. We had supper with the family on Friday night - man the working week had drained the life out of a once vivacous excited, joyous person. I am sure by saturday night she would have got her energy back.... but a nine to five is a dull bloody thing to contemplate when you are

These kids, for that is what they are in film making terms, are doing a bloody good job.

The market for their wares is not to be found here - These guys are regularly getting a million hits. For us though, they are making films with boats in them

so to some extent as sailors and net heads, we feel that we should at least scan through the occasional sample. Not clicking on an image of a girl in a bikini on a sunny foredeck is hard to resist. We are blokes and the crass knuckle dragging cave man lurks just beneath the surface.

For me they remind me that I when I was younger I should have saiiled more and worked less. In a way, these kids are showing us what life would have been like if our fathers had been loaded. I sailed as much as I coould when I was theri age - but they were only snatched at weekends and holidays. Good on these kids - I have had to wait a bloody long time for the freedom they have now.

As for Mark Knopfler -..

27,000 hits

this film comes with a warning that more than one version of his best bit of music is used.

Dylan, that is a lovely video visually but that version of Brothers in Arms in the beginning and end is execrable. Being an Army veteran, I love that song, especially the version on the album of the same name. The guy singing in your video needs to decide if he is trying to be Johnny Cash or Mark Knopfler, or maybe he always sings that way, but in my opinion, he is awful.

As for Mark Knopfler -..

27,000 hits

Dylan, that is a lovely video visually but that version of Brothers in Arms in the beginning and end is execrable. Being an Army veteran, I love that song, especially the version on the album of the same name. The guy singing in your video needs to decide if he is trying to be Johnny Cash or Mark Knopfler, or maybe he always sings that way, but in my opinion, he is awful.

I had assumed before posting that it would not appeal to the purists.

However, before condemning me as a complete philistine then you might enjoy spending half an hour with an excellent BBC radio 4 program about the song

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mqp1r

it opened my eyes - well my ears

As for Mark Knopfler -..

27,000 hits

I had assumed before posting that it would not appeal to the purists.

However, before condemning me as a complete philistine then you might enjoy spending half an hour with an excellent BBC radio 4 program about the song

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mqp1r

it opened my eyes - well my ears

Nice insight to the song. It is interesting how everybody takes some ownership of the song depending on their personal experience and interpretation. I wish you would have warned me that that awful singer was a part of the show. Very clever Mr. Winter, very clever indeed.

You guys are overthinking this stuff. Some of these adventures work out, some don't. Some of the people making the videos have an eye, some don't. Some videos make money, some don't. Who cares, enjoy those you like and ignore the rest.

You guys are overthinking this stuff. Some of these adventures work out, some don't. Some of the people making the videos have an eye, some don't. Some videos make money, some don't. Who cares, enjoy those you like and ignore the rest.

but that is the glory of cruising anarchy - people do think about things. Most intelligent sailing forum on the web.

far better to overthink than underthink...... discuss!

Dylan, not when the discussion turns into nothing more than water cooler gossiping. (ie had the shot been framed like this vs what a bunch of fucking losers).

For myself I enjoy this place most when it has the flow of ideas and spontaneous wit of good conversation, when a subject takes on a life of its own and evolves into unexpected areas.

That and the participation of people who actually know something, instead of the ghastly flow of ill informed speculation that passes for discussion in other places.

Dylan - don't we need a combination of instinct and intellect? One allows us to under-think, the other to over. Both can be rewarding. I drive Mrs Ed mad by "over thinking" films and books whereas she (though a great intellectual in her work life) is much more able to immerse herself completely, to the extent that she may not know the author or title but is inhabiting it.

I can take a boat to windward better (but it's the only thing I have over her, and the advantage won't last!)

Instinct and intellect can be propagated by really good hashish.

I have a shisha/hooka/marra pipe that I brought back from the desert. I don't have any opioids to smoke in it, but I do have a good variety of flavored tobaccos. That could be an enjoyable social thing to have in the cockpit in the evening.

I'd love to do a video series, but who the hell wants to watch me and my wife sail around the world in our mid 40s. Much more fun watching 20-30 year olds do it who can look good doing it. I guess I'll still stick to my software engineering skills to pay the bills and keep us going. :D

I'd love to do a video series, but who the hell wants to watch me and my wife sail around the world in our mid 40s. Much more fun watching 20-30 year olds do it who can look good doing it. I guess I'll still stick to my software engineering skills to pay the bills and keep us going. :D

Yeah...my forties expire in about a week and a half. No one wants to watch that shit.

But as someone who is out here cruising, I find that I literally have ZERO interest in any of these videos. None, nada, zip. I tend to get bored before the intro music finishes, even if the bikinis are nicely filled.

Of course, I've also noticed that rags like "Cruising World" are a lot less interesting to me too, since the "out there doing it" demographic isn't really their target.

You're doing it, dude. I can't imagine why you'd want to watch anyone else do it, except maybe Dylan and only because he's in a venue so different than yours.

Yeah...my forties expire in about a week and a half. No one wants to watch that shit.

But as someone who is out here cruising, I find that I literally have ZERO interest in any of these videos. None, nada, zip. I tend to get bored before the intro music finishes, even if the bikinis are nicely filled.

Of course, I've also noticed that rags like "Cruising World" are a lot less interesting to me too, since the "out there doing it" demographic isn't really their target.

Yea, these videos and things are for those of us chained to a desk. :)

Plus a morbid fascination with his head "cleaning" technique.

That's the only one of Dylan's I watched in it's entirety and shared with my wife. She was horrified.

Yea, these videos and things are for those of us chained to a desk. :)

Watching video is always going to run a very poor second to actually sailing. The figures for my vids show that a good polar thrust in the states will have my viewing figures doubling - all those small boat sailors being kept indoors.

I watch quite a few other vids in the winter - but hardly any in the summer because I am too busy sailing.

It is interesting though how people like to watch videos of where they already sail.

People want to see what the video presenter says about a place they already know before trusting them to tell them about a place they will never go.

I made some films about the Solent where I bought a Centaur for £1

Those films get a lot of hits (for me anyway) because there are 20,000 yachts on the solent and people watch films of their own patch

then those people have looked at the other films of the more remote places around our coast.

I still want to see some nicely made small boat sailing films about the Chesapeake.....

nothing tells me what it is like to sail there

They bought a Celestial 48.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/57567

I don't see sails in the listing, and the spars are bare.

It will be intteresting to see who knocks Lavagabonde off the top of the heap

these two might be interesting in that they don't know much about sailing

however, they are already falling into the trap of putting out videos full of lengthy ptcs (pieces to camera)

The last Lavagabonde was also getting a bit word heavy and the bulk of the show was a girls birthday party with much screaming, gurning and drinking

I am just not sure that sailing adventures in warm benign places are interesting enough to fill a film every week.

100,000 hits in the first week on a film - that is hard to beat

Ok, Dylan I'll take on your request but you have to understand that I'm a network engineer not a videographer.

My equipment is limited to a GoPro-like camera that does have a microphone and perhaps a better 35mm DSLR that has a video recording capability.

I didn't provide any video, but I did provide still photos and an extensive write-up of my visit to Smith Island. I think you chimed in on that one.

I've made several recordings of my new boat out sailing but it's just generic footage of the water sliding by. There is no land, no dialogue, no frame of reference.

The season isn't over yet, so I'll attempt to make some video for you.

The worst nightmares of a Marshal McLuhan / Warhol world are coming true. "Reality" is about to eat itself and we're all famous. Five people will read this post: that makes me famous. A legend in my own lunchtime.

It's The Society of the Spectacle - https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/debord/society.htm

The basically tautological character of the spectacle flows from the simple fact that its means are simultaneously its ends. It is the sun which never sets over the empire of modern passivity. It covers the entire surface of the world and bathes endlessly in its own glory.

this is the problem with selling the dream

Separated from his product, man himself produces all the details of his world with ever increasing power, and thus finds himself ever more separated from his world. The more his life is now his product, the more he is separated from his life.

I sure agree with that last paragraph. That's why I so rarely take photos and video. I don't want to be separated from the moments I'm experiencing.

I found this interesting, good for them. http://sailing-lavagabonde.com/

Riley had a brand new camera on board still sitting in its box, a Canon G1X Powershot. Very basic camera. But it was sitting there in the cabin and he never used it. So I picked it up, claimed it as my own and gave it a new life (apparently a life it hadn’t even lived yet). I started filming some of our sailing and adventures on land and put together a few movies to share with friends and family back home in Australia. I had always made little movies of my travels that I shared with my friends and fam, so it was nothing completely out of the blue for me to do. My video editing skills were near none, but I didn’t care and just did the best I could with what I had.

Before I knew it, the videos had a lot of hits and there was this pressure of making more. I wasn’t sure where it was all going to lead, but I LOVED making these little episodes and sharing our journey with the world, so I thought, why not give it a go. Without even realising, I had created the roots, the ‘start’, of my ‘dream job’ I had bought my first international plane ticket in hope to find.

And now here we are!

A few YouTube subscribers suggested we create a ‘Patreon’ page, which Riley and I had no idea what that even was and never bothered to look as we were sailing quite a lot and internet was hard to find (an ongoing problem for living onboard). And when we DID have internet, we did the rounds of letting our parents and friends know we made it safely, maybe post some photos and check the weather again.

Patreon is a crowd finding site, where independent artists doing all sorts of creative things are able to continue doing so, with the help of the general public. People donate X amount of dollars per movie, comic book, painting, whatever it is, out of the kindness of their own hearts so these artist don’t have to ‘sell out’ to huge organisations, and can keep doing what they love.

So I signed up, and more and more patrons started joining in and pledging anywhere from $1 per episode I make to $50 an episode! I couldn’t believe it.

In the beginning, making $200 an episode wasn’t enough money to keep us floating in the right direction. It was not a lifestyle we thought we could keep. Sailing, and the sailing life can be very expensive at times. So Riley and I never depended on it to survive, but it was helping us out a lot in paying for things like groceries, customs clearing fees and so on.

We were running low on money, and nearly actually ran out before we took La Vagabonde out of the water in Grenada W.I for the hurricane season. We flew back to Australia to work again and try and get some cash together to help fund the next leg of our trip.

Now, by the looks of things, Patreon is at a number where we can maintain this sailing lifestyle.We are over the moon about it. It was our Patrons that got us here, and without them we would struggle to make it the rest of the way around the world. It’s a great feeling to know people appreciate my work enough to donate towards this adventure we are on, so I can keep the movies coming. Yewww Patrons! Seriously, THANK YOU.

I still want to see some nicely made small boat sailing films about the Chesapeake.....

nothing tells me what it is like to sail there

This might get you started...

That was Northern Bay which is different than this which might give you a bit of the feel for the Southern Bay

Cheers Y'all

Shocking!!!

Who could have possibly seen this coming???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8auGCtrb2DI

I think most of these videos fulfill our similar morbid fascination with train wrecks, car crashes and reality TV shows. We only watch them out of a fascination to see the crash and perhaps shake our head in a superior fashion, that at least we're smarter..... (just not smart enough to avoid the vids totally--ok, so I FFwd a lot). YMMV

I think most of these videos fulfill our similar morbid fascination with train wrecks, car crashes and reality TV shows. We only watch them out of a fascination to see the crash and perhaps shake our head in a superior fashion, that at least we're smarter..... (just not smart enough to avoid the vids totally--ok, so I FFwd a lot). YMMV

Miss Lone star has dropped even further over the edge and her personal circumstances are getting ever more bizarre

Nothing at all about sailing or adventuring - a real soap opera- so I apologise for even posting it here

Lot of hits though

The comments on youtube are too painful to read - I would have deleted the commments from the arsewipes

when people are rude on my youtube or website I just kill the comments.

One bloke called me a cretin the other day - not heard that word for years so he is obviously an old bloke who should know better

D