dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

27 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I am not  great fan of the patreon model....

not all films people make are equally good - some are okay, some a great

yet patreon values them all the same

better to tap on a film you relly enjoy - and leave a comment too

if some-one gives you $5 in appreciation of your work you really pay attention to any comments they make

so just out of interest - are you guys paying Leo for the entertainment or towards the cost of ten screws/two feet of mahogany/a new drill?

D

For me, its to support the project, not the entertainment value.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

so just out of interest - are you guys paying Leo for the entertainment or towards the cost of ten screws/two feet of mahogany/a new drill?

they probably aren't paying him in appreciation of his tits.

I do find his posh-boy-roughing it demeanour interesting.  He clearly has real skill and dedication and is walking the walk, but that accent is a constant reminder that he has the social capital to open other doors if he chooses .... as he previously did on the crew of posh yots.

5 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

they probably aren't paying him in appreciation of his tits.

I do find his posh-boy-roughing it demeanour interesting.  He clearly has real skill and dedication and is walking the walk, but that accent is a constant reminder that he has the social capital to open other doors if he chooses .... as he previously did on the crew of posh yots.

wow... that requires some unbundling

so.....

if he had  Devon accent ... or  cockeny accent would you be more or less likely to tap in more?

it just shows what a personal thing these videos have now become

of course he makes well recorded, nicely structured, well lit films as well as being  a focussed boat builder

It is possible that he has tonnes of capital back home on the estate and is just doing this boat up... and mking the films for fun. He will eventually sail it back to blighty and moore it up on the Devon estuary that runs through his dad;s pile.....

Even if that is not his background...and he obviously loves working on boats he could earn a living working in a boat yard and not make any films.

I find the flows of emotions and motivtions between the film mker and the supporter are so very complex I cannot get my head around them

Dylan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

It is possible that he has tonnes of capital back home on the estate and is just doing this boat up... and mking the films for fun. He will eventually sail it back to blighty and moore it up on the Devon estuary that runs through his dad;s pile.....

Dylan, I didn't say "money".  He may have none and his family may have none.   I said "social capital to open other doors if he chooses". 

'Social capital' describes the various resources that people may have through their relationships in families, communities and other social networks.

Leo's accent places him socially firmly in the upper middle class of class-ridden England.

That means that a minimum he has the social markers (and probably social habits) which allow him to mingle in those classes as "one of us".  It probably also means that he has some of the connections which can open doors.  Need to make a few quid working for the posh yotties?  It helps a lot if you already have personal connections into the networks.

Yes he's a skilled boatbuilder, a hard worker, and not a bad film-maker.  I'm just interested in the social context of all of these videos as much as the technical e.g.

Delos: Brian is infotech technical talent turned social entrepreneur.  Delos is a carefully-planned soap with high production values

La Vag: working-class lad on a fast burn rescued by commercial acumen of v focused woman.  Still a high-wire act

Sail Life: mildly aspie OCD geek lays bare his exceptional skills, dedication and resilience and visibly grows as a person.  The sheer joy Mads takes in his obsessive work makes compelling viewing on a personal level as well as master-class in gold-star boat restoration.

KTL: unassuming middle class blokey bloke with brilliant common touch uses his extraordinary film-making skills to film some of the best footage ever of his island's coast from shit boats.  His researched commentaries are a rarity in the sailing-video genre, and vary from entertaining to insightful to exasperatingly naive English left-colonialism.

Wicked Salty: clueless, frazzled couple from Murca's barely-getting-by-class make series of doomed attempts to break away to something better. I so want it to work for them but know they have zero chance.

Sailing Uma: improbable alliance of upper-middle-class from basket-case country with Murcan middle-class semi-geek combine fine technical skills, focused project management and much charm in quirky mix of hedonism and mature achievement.  A rare these-kids-have-got-their-shit-together story

Sailing MIss Lonestar: utterly irresponsible, kinda manipulative woman manages series of adventures by persuading men to do stuff for her.  At best a shamefully engaging trainwreck; at worst an object lesson is just how far some people can be from self-awareness.  Psychologist thesis-fodder.

Drake Paragon: moaning old codger who overhypes routine ups-and-downs of sailing, and who witters into camera way too much. However, he is brilliant at interviewing others.

etc

But you ask of Leo: "if he had  Devon accent ... or  cockney accent would you be more or less likely to tap in more?"

Probably yes.  I like Leo as a person I and admire his huge skills, but when it comes to where to put my money I'd prefer to put it to people who are less likely than Leo to be able to pull in help from his social circle.

So if and when I tap in for any of them, there is only one on my list: KTL.  Best filming by a mile, most self-aware, least self-indulgent.  Despite his eccentric politics, by far the best viewing.  And most in need of more taps.

But don't tell Dylan; I don't want to swell his head.  So if you see him, just tell him TwoLegged says to use some of his Centaur-free downtime to update himself beyond his 19th-century Britnat historiography of Scotland :P  He can then curse me and all will be right with the world

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

Interesting, but don't necessarily mean he didn't come from the posh.  Even some aristos take the rough path.

And that accent.  Ed, you live in England; surely you know which habitats such accents live in. 

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Interesting, but don't necessarily mean he didn't come from the posh.  Even some aristos take the rough path.

And that accent.  Ed, you live in England; surely you know which habitats such accents live in. 

Who cares? He works hard with determination and smarts. It doesn't matter to me whether he's rising from humble beginnings or posh ones. 

• Like 3

Google found me some background on Leo Samson Goolden.

So in English class terms that places him as lower-upper-middle-class downwardly mobile.

Like it or not; in England such things shape life-chances, esp the ability to bounce back from bad times

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark Set said:

Okay, i finally got suckered into giving one of these guys some money. I have no idea why this guy took on this project but it must cost a fortune and its great to watch. He's rebuilding a 90% rotten 1910 wood racing yacht:

Good for you.  Leo is the man.

So in English class terms that places him as lower-upper-middle-class downwardly mobile.

Like it or not; in England such things shape life-chances, esp the ability to bounce back from bad times

That may be true but only because people like you keep obsessing about it. Leo is doing something 99.99% of the population never could, even if they were sitting on a trust fund or knew they'd be just fine now matter how down they got once the old man kicked the bucket. He owes you nothing and your envy and disdain for him and his kind aren't doing you any favors.

42 minutes ago, IStream said:

That may be true but only because people like you keep obsessing about it.

Wrong. The reason people from that class get better life chances is because that class has privilege and look after its own ... not because of what anyone else says about them.

He owes you nothing

I never suggested he owed me anything.  I simply said I wouldn't give him my cash.

your envy and disdain for him and his kind aren't doing you any favors.

I have no envy of him.  I have seen more than enough of how that class operates to want no part of it.

As to "disdain for him" ...  putting words in my mouth which are the opposite of what I said isn't doing you any favours.

6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

He clearly has real skill and dedication and is walking the walk,

5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

he's a skilled boatbuilder, a hard worker, and not a bad film-maker

I have no envy of him.  I have seen more than enough of how that class operates to want no part of it.

Wow... you value social mobility with no rungs on the ladder, you don't envy anyone further up that social ladder yet say they have better life chances, not through pure ability, but simply via support of their social network.

The people most conscious of social class like you normally seem to be those who have already moved beyond their parents class or want to move up the social ladder, yet you claim to be not one of those. 

However when someone like Leo elects to exercise that same social mobility you espose and does things the custom of those down the social ladder, like working with his hands and looking for financial assistance from outside his social standing etc incl yours, he is sneared at as being "downwardly mobile" and doing it "aristocratic rough". That is pretty disengenous.

My guess is you are a well educated lower "middle class snob" who at some point probably had his ladder broken, so have little regard for anyone sitting above and possibly even below your rung.

Unfortunately there are probably less Leo's around than your whinging lot.

• Like 2

Wow... that all took an unexpected turn. What a fascinating place this is.

Incidentally - I was raised in a two bedroom council flat in london on the fifth floor of a block - four brothers in one room.

one bloke, a man from Scotland as it happens, watches all my films and then bombs youtube and my website with rude comments  about me because I live in a house in the south east that costs more than his house in scotland. He seems to think that until I sell my house my films are unworthy of his support.

Which is a slightly odd attitude.

I assume he does not apply  the same criteria to any books he reads or music he enjoys too. If the author lives in a house that costs more than this chaps house in scotland then the authors do not deserve to get paid for their work - his library might be a bit thin.

I think the fact that I am now using an 11 foot dinghy that goes on top of the car  rather than a 26 yacht must make him rather happy. .. although I often wonder if  he misses the films I was making about his beloved homeland.

Dylan

I have only done two longish passages in my own boat with crew on board

both times it was around 500 miles - one up the north sea the other up the Irish Sea. They were essentiaally delivery trips. Three blokes in a 26 footer is not luxurious. Both went really well.

At the end of the North Sea trip I did a bit of a post mortem with Jon and Roger. Jon is a lifelong friend... Roger is a fellow Centaur owner and I had only met him once. Humour is essential I think

the disco is 30 mins in - read into it what you like... and also feel free to judge us by our accents

bollix - wrong thread

D

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

My guess is you are a well educated lower "middle class snob" who at some point probably had his ladder broken, so have little regard for anyone sitting above and possibly even below your rung.

Wrong on all counts, Jack.  But if you like hurling insults, I hope that made you feel better.

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

Wow... that all took an unexpected turn. What a fascinating place this is.

That why I often say 'Gosh*, I love this place'

* Cruising anarchy version. I hope to be called posh now as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

Wow... that all took an unexpected turn.

Did a bit.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

That why I often say 'Gosh*, I love this place'

* Cruising anarchy version. I hope to be called posh now as well.

that might depend on your accent

• Like 1

I'm with Legs. I found her "let's talk about class" post an insightful portrayal of what makes people tick.

Like Dylan has, we should consider and understand the advantages and disadvantages of where we and others come from to be at peace with ourselves and who we want to be. And if we're all to get a fair shake some day we need to know the class structures that affect us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dylan winter said:

wow... that requires some unbundling

so.....

if he had  Devon accent ... or  cockeny accent would you be more or less likely to tap in more?

it just shows what a personal thing these videos have now become

of course he makes well recorded, nicely structured, well lit films as well as being  a focussed boat builder

Even if that is not his background...and he obviously loves working on boats he could earn a living working in a boat yard and not make any films.

I find the flows of emotions and motivtions between the film mker and the supporter are so very complex I cannot get my head around them

Dylan

LOL...those of us in the Colonies cannot differentiate between a posh accent and a poor one. You all sound like super-villains to us.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I'm also a supporter of Leo.  Its the only youtuber I have ever sent money too.  Love watching his work.

I have sent some $$ to help Leo, and a couple others who were doing what I considered to be worthwhile boat building/restoration projects.  I have an unfortunate savior complex, in that I often refuse to logically consider cost /vs/ worth when I see a neat old boat, motorcycle, car, tool, piece furniture, etc that really COULD be nice and used again, if only given a bit of attention.   Sending $$ to others who are taking on some of these larger projects makes my Wife happy to not see me dragging something home, and kinda/sorta satisfies my desire to help save something. 

6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Wrong on all counts, Jack.  But if you like hurling insults, I hope that made you feel better.

Well actually I was just being upper/lower middle class polite...my underlying undisclosed thought was you are really just a rude cunt who married well above your station and she and her daddy never lets you forget that. And yes I feel much better now, thanks.

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Incidentally - I was raised in a two bedroom council flat in london on the fifth floor of a block - four brothers in one room.

I bet the back window didn't break when you put the front door key in. You are a toff Winter.

55 minutes ago, kdh said:

I'm with Legs. I found her "let's talk about class" post an insightful portrayal of what makes people tick.

Like Dylan has, we should consider and understand the advantages and disadvantages of where we and others come from to be at peace with ourselves and who we want to be. And if we're all to get a fair shake some day we need to know the class structures that affect us.

I'm not saying class doesn't exist or has no relevance, I just don't like the sneering at someone who's clearly doing something worthwhile without harm to anyone else. It's a petty attitude.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I don't see your point at all.  Is Leo to blame for his ancestor's success or lack thereof? Or are his ancestors to blame for his own success or lack thereof?

If your point is that Leo is partly a benefactor of white privilege, then ummmm, so what? Would you be happier if he were still dumpster diving?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I have sent some $$ to help Leo, and a couple others who were doing what I considered to be worthwhile boat building/restoration projects. 

Some also donate not $ but their time helping Leo which is a bit of a win win in terms of their experiencing something in the craft arena that would not ordinarily happen and Leo gets a free body.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Some also donate not $ but their time helping Leo which is a bit of a win win in terms of their experiencing something in the craft arena that would not ordinarily happen and Leo gets a free body.

Indeed so - if he was out here?  I'd figure out how to spend a few weekends helping him make sawdust.  When the Rosie Parks was restored @ the CBMM- volunteering for that effort became an extended family reunion, and I learned a lot more about some things I previously knew a little about. 

love how the YouTube channel thread is now a class warfare thread. The class struggle necessarily leads to the dictatorship of the proletariat, finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, eh comrades!

Yes, Leo has a posh accent. I dont really care. I just want to see him finish that boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Set said:

love how the YouTube channel thread is now a class warfare thread. The class struggle necessarily leads to the dictatorship of the proletariat, finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, eh comrades!

Yes, Leo has a posh accent. I dont really care. I just want to see him finish that boat.

it will soon pass and we will find another way to drift

D

manatee-hugging-a-shark.jpg

I can't remember if this was ever posted up on this th'd?  A less than posh Canadian fixes up an old wooden Herreshof and solo's around the Caribbean, film grad student makes a short doc about him and wins a few prizes at alt film festivals.

I enjoy the class warfare drifts. As much as we might be accused of being "yachties," there are all types here, and generally we have respect for one another, with obvious exceptions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well actually I was just being upper/lower middle class polite...my underlying undisclosed thought was you are really just a rude cunt who married well above your station and she and her daddy never lets you forget that. And yes I feel much better now, thanks.

Odd, I never got the feeling that Legs was a lesbian. And speaking of rude cunts, Jack...

• Like 3

When I were just a wee lad, my grandmother would sit me down at the lake house and tell stories of how she was chauffeured to school in a Rolls Royce, of the "family name" and all it's ancestry with lineage to the founding fathers and beyond, to the first Pilgrims and olde England herself.  But never a penny spared.  

Living up to the "family name" broke my father and broke us.  He took to drugs and the street and my mother struggled to keep us afloat.  Still not a penny was spared. 

"How the mighty have fallen" as Jack Durberville once said holding the only remaining thing of his illustrious past, a spoon bearing the family crest.  I have some scrimshaws, some knick knacks and the crest (I kid you not).  

It takes a certain ruthless breed to gain wealth, privelage and status and another to care about such things.  Why anyone would aspire to sink so low is beyond me.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, kdh said:

I enjoy the class warfare drifts. As much as we might be accused of being "yachties," there are all types here, and generally we have respect for one another, with obvious exceptions.

I very much like being accused of being a "yachtie".    :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I very much like being accused of being a "yachtie".    :ph34r:

Eh, I could do without it.

I put up with endless jokes and comments about my "rich" lifestyle because I own a sailboat.  I constantly remind one co-worker that he has more money invested in his Harley-Davidson than I have invested in my boat...and that includes all the money I've poured into it over the last couple years.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:07 AM, Mark Set said:

Okay, i finally got suckered into giving one of these guys some money. I have no idea why this guy took on this project but it must cost a fortune and its great to watch. He's rebuilding a 90% rotten 1910 wood racing yacht:

I sent him a few dollars a couple weeks ago. On the same day I also tipped 'Salt and Tar' and 'Acorn to Arabella'. Check them out if you're into boat building.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kdh said:

I'd feel more comfortable discussing class if I had a little.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Odd, I never got the feeling that Legs was a lesbian. And speaking of rude cunts, Jack...

There are no rules or prisoners in class warfare. Anyway one more speech therapy lesson to go and I will be allowed to buy that Herreshoff ketch.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Hilarious presumptuousness, isn't it? Shotgun twattery, as usual.

As a bona fide Brit I feel qualified to assert that it is incredibly dangerous to try to 'class' people by their accents. The best you can hope for is determining that some folk have been in the RAF or the BBC - and it takes a VERY good ear to say which.

I don't have much spare change to dole out, unfortunately. I have supported one YouTuber that I (mostly) admire, and if I was to do it again, Leo would be at the top of the list.

As a bona fide Brit I feel qualified to assert that it is incredibly easy to 'class' people by their accents.

• Like 1

Are you pulling our plonkers, mate?

Easy, yes. Dangerously fallible? Yes!

If anyone can still read, then scout out Kate Fox’s book called “Watching the English”

It’s a great academic analysis of class in England, wrapped up in a very good read.

Thanks for that tip, HFCH. Now in my Kindle library. Will proceed to edjumacate myself about myself and others.

17 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

If anyone can still read, then scout out Kate Fox’s book called “Watching the English”

It’s a great academic analysis of class in England, wrapped up in a very good read.

Sorry can't read but I can still hear. Easy to peg a faux Etonian   accent way over here in the colonies. 

8 hours ago, Ajax said:

Eh, I could do without it.

I put up with endless jokes and comments about my "rich" lifestyle because I own a sailboat.  I constantly remind one co-worker that he has more money invested in his Harley-Davidson than I have invested in my boat...and that includes all the money I've poured into it over the last couple years.

I had similar responses about my workshop from a co-worker. He was trying to get me to work on his projects for free and when I politely declined, went for the guilt-trip instead. "You're so fortunate to have such a nice workshop, not everyone is so lucky you know. The least you could do is let me use your tools, you can't be using them yourself all the time".

My reply was that if he spent money buying tools instead of going on expensive overseas holidays, he'd have a good workshop too, and he'd get access to mine sometime after he paid for my next holiday.

There the topic rested.

FKT

• Like 3

23 hours ago, dylan winter said:

As a bona fide Brit I feel qualified to assert that it is incredibly easy to 'class' people by their accents.

Even my French ears could do it when I was living on this island.

Bizarrely I found that as a foreigner you become kind of "classless" as long as you aren't unlucky enough to be a "pikey" or Eastern European, you don't get the privileges of the upper classes but you don't either suffer the kind of prejudice somebody with the wrong accent would.

We aren't very good at doing classes in Brittany.

2 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

We aren't very good at doing classes in Brittany.

Haha! I wonder why?

La Guillotine | Paris Historic Walks

• Like 1

Brittany was royalist. Vendee even more so. The two teamed up as a resistance to try and maintain church and crown - which had provided space for them to have a high degree of autonomy. The revolution probably felt more like a civil war there - and  the new French Republic used the guillotiné on the resistant people, rather than the people using it on the aristocracy.

Pygmalian nailed English class divides with: It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him

• Like 1

Well that's me schooled. Always was crap at history.

5 hours ago, seabell said:

Well that's me schooled. Always was crap at history.

good man

you took it on the chin ... and smiled

D

12 hours ago, HFC Hunter said:

Brittany was royalist. Vendee even more so. The two teamed up as a resistance to try and maintain church and crown - which had provided space for them to have a high degree of autonomy. The revolution probably felt more like a civil war there - and  the new French Republic used the guillotiné on the resistant people, rather than the people using it on the aristocracy.

Pygmalian nailed English class divides with: It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him

That's pretty accurate description of the revolution here, it was not nice with some events bordering genocide. Some limited areas of Brittany were pro republic though.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

The guy who hates refrigeration is into it. She is not have crazy eyes either.

way too much fettling, repairing and preening going on with the films of too many of the vloggers at the moment. I could not give a tinkers cuss about other people's bloody decks. 

As for this guy

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

the only time he left the boatyard he was sick as a dog

the bleeding giddy limit

Dylan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

That was a beautiful piece of creative writing. (I know the guy is real, I just love the style of writing.)

That's the first entertaining piece posted in weeks. Glad I opened it! 

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

That was a beautiful piece of creative writing. (I know the guy is real, I just love the style of writing.)

23 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

That's the first entertaining piece posted in weeks. Glad I opened it! 

There's several relevant gems in there that gave me a chuckle.

Police Ordered To Round Up & Shoot Anyone Referring To Themselves As ‘Digital Influencers’

Gardaí in Ireland have already begun to enforce the new crackdown on so-called digital influencers.

“You can influence me hoop, you narcissistic spanners,” head of Digital Influencer Termination Unit, Garda Vincent Lonergan shared with WWN.

• Like 1

Rees Mogg definitely has a posh accent. Here is the son of a Lord mixing with the common people.

• Like 1

Been falling down a few YouTube rabbit holes recently. It's really noticeable how few subscribers the sailing channels have.

E.g. this guy - young Brit blacksmith, has just under 850 thousand subscribers.

Full-on YouTube editing: jump cuts aplenty. Lots of slo mo. Lots of time lapse. Lots of wacky camera angles. Strapping the go pro to all sorts of stuff. Extreme close ups. Sells branded merchandise as well. Etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/alectheblacksmith

On 5/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, Dark Cloud said:

that might depend on your accent

Us Churchie Boys are dead posh.

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Us Churchie Boys are dead posh.

do you mean the shoes because wearing a pair of Church's Brogues at nearly £500 a pair is also a good sign that you ar dealing with a certified toff

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?colourid=24&brandid=4&catid=6&shoeid=12&sizeid=10&fitid=3&forceCountryId=6&gpl=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28_XBRDhARIsAEk21Fgry30lPQS4tOiAYWaBk7alxWRm1IUAP8VEZlw8HzOV0hY4JObtwNEaAj6REALw_wcB

shoe-care-680.jpg

On 4/21/2018 at 8:33 AM, dylan winter said:

60 seconds was enough!!!

On 5/8/2018 at 2:41 AM, TwoLegged said:

Its easy to be poor when you have a trust fund sitting in the background

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Who needs tits and a boat with a deck.

Holy crap.  Barely enough room for the man in that boat.  Very cool though.  Weird hat.  A modern version of a Chinese farmer's hat? 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Holy crap.  Barely enough room for the man in that boat.  Very cool though.  Weird hat.  A modern version of a Chinese farmer's hat? 

ctyp_devo_press.jpg?w=800&sp=9001a21200b

13 hours ago, mad said:

60 seconds was enough!!!

Christ you lasted that long.

Granny and her toy boy are unbearably hard on my head.

The only small mercy is she doesn’t wear a bikini.

42 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Christ you lasted that long.

Granny and her toy boy are unbearably hard on my head.

The only small mercy is she doesn’t wear a bikini.

however....

https://www.patreon.com/followtheboat

$1200 per film.... making one a week.....average length 18 mins

their revenue per minute is  better than mine.

So there are lots of fans out there

Goodonem

19 hours ago, mad said:

60 seconds was enough!!!

My guess lower to lower/bottom middle class with a history of buggery on his side of the family.

On 5/11/2018 at 5:33 AM, mad said:

Its easy to be poor when you have a trust fund sitting in the background

He doesn't appear to be afraid of hard work though, does he?

I'm not criticizing anyone, I'd just like to point something out-

Money (even unused money or social safety nets sitting in the background) allows choice. It's easy to be hardworking when you're doing something that you choose to do, and love to do. If you end up hating what you do, or aren't successful at it, you have that safety net waiting for you so that you can choose to try something else.

Not everyone has that luxury.  Like I said, it's not a criticism of the person under scrutiny. I haven't even watched any of his videos.

• Like 1

It is funny to read about poor vs. rich, and class warfare on a forum dominated by Anglos while commenting the activity of messing around on boats, which, if I am not mistaken or if I suffer from debilitating sensorial impairment, it is already the realm of the privileged white folks from the few developed countries of the world. People from North America Europe, maybe Russia, Australia and NZ, and from very few other countries (like the new Chinese cruisers on their new catamarans) who have nothing better to do than spend their abundant free time on a totally uneconomical and obsolete technology like sailboats. 

How could you seriously raise your eyebrow while not raising from your armchair and judge somebody else's life, net worth, safety net and such while you engage or pretend to, on the same obnoxious, posh and useless activity such as racing or cruising sailboats for fun, or sometimes for work, to fulfill someone else's need for leisure.

Millionaires who dock their yachts in Sag Harbor among billionaires' yachts will suffer a lot while a middle class retired old fart will feel like a king while cruising SE Asia. In the same way people who watch youtube videos thinks that if somebody is doing something way cooler than what they are doing (or anything more productive than watching YouTube in the first place) then there must be a trust fund behind and the help of other people. Damned all those who decide to help others because everybody has to be a self made man or woman. But guess what... all the self procleimed self made man people are just telling you a lot of bullshit.

So fuck this guy who is repairing a useless future piece of decomposing crap and fuck you who criticize him. And fuck me too, to complete the circle of bullshit that this class thread drift has uncovered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuntyhunk said:

It is funny to read about poor vs. rich, and class warfare on a forum dominated by Anglos while commenting the activity of messing around on boats, which, if I am not mistaken or if I suffer from debilitating sensorial impairment, it is already the realm of the privileged white folks from the few developed countries of the world. People from North America Europe, maybe Russia, Australia and NZ, and from very few other countries (like the new Chinese cruisers on their new catamarans) who have nothing better to do than spend their abundant free time on a totally uneconomical and obsolete technology like sailboats. 

How could you seriously raise your eyebrow while not raising from your armchair and judge somebody else's life, net worth, safety net and such while you engage or pretend to, on the same obnoxious, posh and useless activity such as racing or cruising sailboats for fun, or sometimes for work, to fulfill someone else's need for leisure.

Millionaires who dock their yachts in Sag Harbor among billionaires' yachts will suffer a lot while a middle class retired old fart will feel like a king while cruising SE Asia. In the same way people who watch youtube videos thinks that if somebody is doing something way cooler than what they are doing (or anything more productive than watching YouTube in the first place) then there must be a trust fund behind and the help of other people. Damned all those who decide to help others because everybody has to be a self made man or woman. But guess what... all the self procleimed self made man people are just telling you a lot of bullshit.

So fuck this guy who is repairing a useless future piece of decomposing crap and fuck you who criticize him. And fuck me too, to complete the circle of bullshit that this class thread drift has uncovered.

no need to beat up on yourself and others

we all judge other people - that is human nature. See a man in a $1000 suit and you can make certain suppositions about him. See a man sitting against a wall with a cup and a begging sign and you can also make suppositions - not always right.... but they often are. Walk down a dark street and see two lads wearing dark hoodies coming towards you - make some suppositions and cross the street to the other side.

As for film making.

I think that if some-one comes to your screen and asks you for money then you are entitled to judge that persons worth for receiving your charity. Not all charitable causes are equally worthy.

If leo comes to you and says chip in towards the cost of my boat restoration then you are entitled to ask if he deserves or needs  your help.

With my films I ask people to pay for  the entertainment value of the films. The fact that I live in a lovely house 100 yards from an English estuary should not  enter into whether or not you show your appreciation for the journey you have just shared with me. Pay me for my narrative skills and the work I put into the films  not for half a pint of  of ant-foul to slap on the hull of a 40 year old shit box. That is like paying a musician only if he needs a new string.

When we decide to pay for a cinema ticket for  Fast and Furious V1 we do not consider if van diesel is poor enough  for us to pay or if he needs help for replacing all the  cars he has smashed up..  We pay for the intellectual stimulation and ecstacy we experience when watching Van (or his stunt man) skid his car around a corner. You pay for the thrills... not help Van buy some new tyres for his car.

So,  our friend leo is a toff for sure...accents like his do not come  from a secondary modern school in Holloway.  it is a good  bet that he may never have to get a mortgage on a two  bedroom flat in Peckham. While most people his age are working their arses off in the 9 to five he has decided to spend his time working on his boat, good work to boot, and making nicely shot and structured films about his pet self indulgent project.. Goodonhim. But that should  be irrelevant to the paying watcher of his films. Pay him for his display of film making and boat building skills. It is a tangible round of applause for  some-one who has entertained you for half an hour.

Dylan

On 5/11/2018 at 9:04 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Who needs tits and a boat with a deck.

Checked out is other voyages, great stuff, Nordkapp was a good one.

8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

no need to beat up on yourself and others

we all judge other people - that is human nature. See a man in a $1000 suit and you can make certain suppositions about him. See a man sitting against a wall with a cup and a begging sign and you can also make suppositions - not always right.... but they often are. Walk down a dark street and see two lads wearing dark hoodies coming towards you - make some suppositions and cross the street to the other side.

As for film making.

I think that if some-one comes to your screen and asks you for money then you are entitled to judge that persons worth for receiving your charity. Not all charitable causes are equally worthy.

If leo comes to you and says chip in towards the cost of my boat restoration then you are entitled to ask if he deserves or needs  your help.

With my films I ask people to pay for  the entertainment value of the films. The fact that I live in a lovely house 100 yards from an English estuary should not  enter into whether or not you show your appreciation for the journey you have just shared with me. Pay me for my narrative skills and the work I put into the films  not for half a pint of  of ant-foul to slap on the hull of a 40 year old shit box. That is like paying a musician only if he needs a new string.

When we decide to pay for a cinema ticket for  Fast and Furious V1 we do not consider if van diesel is poor enough  for us to pay or if he needs help for replacing all the  cars he has smashed up..  We pay for the intellectual stimulation and ecstacy we experience when watching Van (or his stunt man) skid his car around a corner. You pay for the thrills... not help Van buy some new tyres for his car.

So,  our friend leo is a toff for sure...accents like his do not come  from a secondary modern school in Holloway.  it is a good  bet that he may never have to get a mortgage on a two  bedroom flat in Peckham. While most people his age are working their arses off in the 9 to five he has decided to spend his time working on his boat, good work to boot, and making nicely shot and structured films about his pet self indulgent project.. Goodonhim. But that should  be irrelevant to the paying watcher of his films. Pay him for his display of film making and boat building skills. It is a tangible round of applause for  some-one who has entertained you for half an hour.

Dylan

Vin Diesel.

I like Leo a lot and he has that enviable access to energy critters my age lack.

However Tally Ho is fucked from stem to stern.

Realistically he has a completely rotten full scale model of what Tally Ho should be.

Leo is going to craft a whole new vessel which will require bucket loads of everything far far more than a free workshop and utility.

I may well be wrong and it would not be the first time by a long shot but something is just quite not right.

Maybe Poppa Bear is underwriting the whole endeavour and if so well done.

I get to lie in my snuggly bunk and watch something which is not a soap overloaded with misogyny tits ass and seaborne stupidity.

Tally Ho old chap.