dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

12 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Drones & Ireland?

Drake Roberts (DrakeParagon on YT) an early adopter of drones & Patreon on sailing videos, crashing his DJI into Fastnet Rock and having it returned weeks later.

Very good indeed

D

Great for the Lighthouse Commish!

If it had been in the US, he would have probably gotten a lot of grief from the FAA and other jackboot authorities.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:27 PM, dylan winter said:

Very good indeed

D

I was not looking close enough on first glance and thought "What a strange place to put a mooring field!"

You know, making mooring balls look like birds might be a great idea to beautify an anchorage for the 'non-sailing' crowd.

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Sailing ceil 3 said:

Ok guys - Flame away

We had a busy weekend

If you've never ended ended up engineless, you've not sailerd enough. ;)

On 7/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, Panoramix said:

If you've never ended ended up engineless, you've not sailerd enough. ;)

If you have never ended up with a naked tattooed girl on your boat, then you have not tried hard enough!

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I know someone giving him a hand not Patreon dollars. 

On a side note Jack do you know what happened to Morna? Last I saw of her was a sad sight on a Squadron mooring 15 or so years ago. 7 Hobart wins wasn't it?

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

proper job boat

That was the first one of these I have seen that made me want to see the next.

22 minutes ago, random said:

Is Tampa Bay becoming the new convergence for these couples?  Saw their google/apple map guide from Tampa to Philly in search of their new boat.

- Stumbling

13 minutes ago, random said:

I would guess hat they have seen the success of Sampson boats

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

and realise that a cute chick is no longer  enough to cut the mustard when it comes to partreon income because there are so many other cute chicks asking for the same thing.

However, I find the endless fettling vids a bit dull....

Old sea dog's latest

involves eating Italian food in Panama, stealing water, compaining when he drops his hook  too close to a proeper mooring  and fettle, fettle fettle fettle in a hot place - I admire his diligence and focus on churning out 16 minutes of film a week from the cabin of a steel yacht in a ferkin hot and humid place.

I am sure that travelling the world in a new boat with a million or two in the bank is great fun... but scrimping and saving and fettling and doing paperwork in hot places  while making videos does not appeal to  me at all.  I have a very low tolerance for meaningless bureacracy and find it hard to relax once the temperature gets above 20c (70F). Editing on a laptop drives me spare. I only do one bit of boat related paperwork a year - and that is to not cancel my automatic renewal of the third party insurance on Katie L

The heat, the paperwork, the rolly anchorages make tramping the world from cruiser hang out to crusier hang out seem most unapealing.

I think that Old sea dog should invite Mads from sailife (the man who fettles yet never sails)  to come out for a visit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke/videos?disable_polymer=1

D

Given my age my motto is "sail now... fettle later" And god bless plastic boats that are functionally immortal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I would guess hat they have seen the success of Sampson boats

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

and realise that a cute chick is no longer  enough to cut the mustard when it comes to partreon income because there are so many other cute chicks asking for the same thing.

However, I find the endless fettling vids a bit dull....

Old sea dog's latest

involves eating Italian food in Panama, stealing water, compaining when he drops his hook  too close to a proeper mooring  and fettle, fettle fettle fettle in a hot place - I admire his diligence and focus on churning out 16 minutes of film a week from the cabin of a steel yacht in a ferkin hot and humid place.

I am sure that travelling the world in a new boat with a million or two in the bank is great fun... but scrimping and saving and fettling and doing paperwork in hot places  while making videos does not appeal to  me at all.  I have a very low tolerance for meaningless bureacracy and find it hard to relax once the temperature gets above 20c (70F). Editing on a laptop drives me spare. I only do one bit of boat related paperwork a year - and that is to not cancel my automatic renewal of the third party insurance on Katie L

The heat, the paperwork, the rolly anchorages make tramping the world from cruiser hang out to crusier hang out seem most unapealing.

I think that Old sea dog should invite Mads from sailife (the man who fettles yet never sails)  to come out for a visit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke/videos?disable_polymer=1

D

Given my age my motto is "sail now... fettle later" And god bless plastic boats that are functionally immortal

Yeah - I guess. I didn't think a lot of Barry's last effort and you're right, bitching about someone on a mooring being too close to where you've anchored shows a fairly high level of self-entitlement.

And the traveling to hot places in foreign countries. I can go from 9°8' S to 55°03′ S and 167°57' E to 72°36' E without leaving Australian territory. Probably enough area to keep me happy.

FKT

3 hours ago, random said:

If I could sail away with one of these boat video chicks it would be the one from Abandon Comfort.

Hubba hubba

3 hours ago, random said:

Yep. Great couple, and interesting story - and she's gorgeous as a bonus

Just now, savoir said:

If I could run away with one of these boat video chicks it would be the one from Abandon Comfort.

Hubba hubba

Yeah, but I liked the hippy chick who went from US to Australia on the old wooden boat.

While out sailing over the past two weeks, my wife and I decided that we should make a video that spoofs as many of these vlogs as possible.

We would each dress up, reconfigure the boat and film a brief vlog entry for each one, into a single compilation video.

• Like 1

As an unabashed admirer of The Dyl, and becoming closer to retirement myself, I feel, despite the general consensus to the contrary, that some of us - 'of a certain age' (is that the term?) - are indeed entitled to be curmudgeonly, if, for no other reason that we can't realistically expect to find ourselves alone in the company of weird tattooed Estonian mawthers. I hereby promise not to fettle my boat in front of you, and, should I 'fall upon' a random Eastern Bloc hooker (more likely Venezuelan or Guyanese in these parts) I will keep our sordid exploits to myself. Unlike that grotty gap-toothed simpleton. 

(This message brought to you by Fernandes Vat19)

12 minutes ago, solosailor said:

It's easier to say "youth is wasted on the young".

You're quite correct, but rum doesn't work that way.

18 hours ago, Ajax said:

While out sailing over the past two weeks, my wife and I decided that we should make a video that spoofs as many of these vlogs as possible.

We would each dress up, reconfigure the boat and film a brief vlog entry for each one, into a single compilation video.

I would pay to see that.

Here in Aus we had a guy take the piss out of the Crocodile Man thing before Steve Erwin existed.

5 hours ago, random said:

I would pay to see that.

Here in Aus we had a guy take the piss out of the Crocodile Man thing before Steve Erwin existed.

that was very funny

Dylan

On 7/15/2018 at 5:01 AM, random said:

I'm the other way. Nice couple and they worked hard on their HR from what we saw. Made a huge deal about planning a dream cruise to Cuba. I've been following along and enjoyed it. Then they got cold feet, ran out their papers, and sold the boat before learning to trim the sails. The furthest they got was a motor-sail to the dry tortugas. I will tune back in if they end up going somewhere, but buckle in for a lot of footage of airbnb's and talk about minimalism along the way.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

I'm the other way. Nice couple and they worked hard on their HR from what we saw. Made a huge deal about planning a dream cruise to Cuba. I've been following along and enjoyed it. Then they got cold feet, ran out their papers, and sold the boat before learning to trim the sails. The furthest they got was a motor-sail to the dry tortugas. I will tune back in if they end up going somewhere, but buckle in for a lot of footage of airbnb's and talk about minimalism along the way.

I feel like it was such an awful decision to sell the HR.  Such a nice boat.  owell...   to each their own....

36 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I feel like it was such an awful decision to sell the HR.  Such a nice boat.  owell...   to each their own....

And an odd one. Before doing anything in it and after bothering to replace the teak deck. 90 miles from their dream spot. My guess is there were some issues with it (engine or hull) that strategically didn't make the videos for resale value. Or maybe they just had trouble making the jump, even in front of a studio audience.

I would have thought they ran out of cash, but that falmouth will end up costing them the same after all the sunk costs getting it up to speed. even if they do go somewhere interesting, I think I'd feel to badly for the dog watching it stuck in the 22 for anything much past a weekend.

32 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

And an odd one. Before doing anything in it and after bothering to replace the teak deck. 90 miles from their dream spot. My guess is there were some issues with it (engine or hull) that strategically didn't make the videos for resale value. Or maybe they just had trouble making the jump, even in front of a studio audience.

I would have thought they ran out of cash, but that falmouth will end up costing them the same after all the sunk costs getting it up to speed. even if they do go somewhere interesting, I think I'd feel to badly for the dog watching it stuck in the 22 for anything much past a weekend.

I assume it was mainly cash - an HR  of that length is an expensive thing to keep - slip fees, haulouts, replacement parts, engine repairs and servicing. Looking at their video stats they were not making enough money to cover the costs... they are going to try something different from the tits in the sun schtick - wooden chicks and mahogany decks perhaps. 

Good for her being prepared to scale down - as for the idea of trailering their new woody.... maybe... maybe not.

All that aside the films are better made than most sailing vlogs and certainl better than kiwi man and eastern european chicks from Ceil. We are lucky blokes to have such a diverse panoply of sailing based entertainment.

D

4 hours ago, savoir said:

Russell Coight is a big star in Australia. He has done all the talk shows.

I spent a very happy hour watching his stuff this afternoon - he leaves not a comedy stone unturned

19 hours ago, savoir said:

Russell Coight is a big star in Australia. 

Those are all very old vids ..he has been out of the entertainment loop for years..has been running  a crocodile based zoo/nature park in Darwin (Nth Australia) with a male friend. He is about to make a mainstream comedy comeback. He is very very funny because that is actually what he is like in real life..the secret to comedy.