dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Obviously, anyone who clicks on this video is just helping this guy. Resist.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:27 PM, dylan winter said:

Very good indeed

D

I was not looking close enough on first glance and thought "What a strange place to put a mooring field!"

You know, making mooring balls look like birds might be a great idea to beautify an anchorage for the 'non-sailing' crowd.

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Sailing ceil 3 said:

Ok guys - Flame away

We had a busy weekend

If you've never ended ended up engineless, you've not sailerd enough. ;)

OK WTF are those recessed cockpit things up by the mast! Get the jib trimmers out of the back of the boat so the big rack bikini chick can sit back with the driver?

7 hours ago, IStream said:

Obviously, anyone who clicks on this video is just helping this guy. Resist.

I thick if you includide pictiure of Yodda youre reqestte to 'Resiste' woude be heeded......

brave-sir-yoda-ran-away-1523455025.jpg

:)

Yeah, I know, resistance is futile. It's why we're all in this situation...

On 7/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, Panoramix said:

If you've never ended ended up engineless, you've not sailerd enough. ;)

If you have never ended up with a naked tattooed girl on your boat, then you have not tried hard enough!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

If you have never ended up with a naked tattooed girl on your boat, then you have not tried hard enough!

You haffto try forre that? 

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I know someone giving him a hand not Patreon dollars. 

On a side note Jack do you know what happened to Morna? Last I saw of her was a sad sight on a Squadron mooring 15 or so years ago. 7 Hobart wins wasn't it?

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

proper job boat

That was the first one of these I have seen that made me want to see the next.

22 minutes ago, random said:

Is Tampa Bay becoming the new convergence for these couples?  Saw their google/apple map guide from Tampa to Philly in search of their new boat.

- Stumbling

13 minutes ago, random said:

I would guess hat they have seen the success of Sampson boats

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

and realise that a cute chick is no longer  enough to cut the mustard when it comes to partreon income because there are so many other cute chicks asking for the same thing.

However, I find the endless fettling vids a bit dull....

Old sea dog's latest

involves eating Italian food in Panama, stealing water, compaining when he drops his hook  too close to a proeper mooring  and fettle, fettle fettle fettle in a hot place - I admire his diligence and focus on churning out 16 minutes of film a week from the cabin of a steel yacht in a ferkin hot and humid place.

I am sure that travelling the world in a new boat with a million or two in the bank is great fun... but scrimping and saving and fettling and doing paperwork in hot places  while making videos does not appeal to  me at all.  I have a very low tolerance for meaningless bureacracy and find it hard to relax once the temperature gets above 20c (70F). Editing on a laptop drives me spare. I only do one bit of boat related paperwork a year - and that is to not cancel my automatic renewal of the third party insurance on Katie L

The heat, the paperwork, the rolly anchorages make tramping the world from cruiser hang out to crusier hang out seem most unapealing.

I think that Old sea dog should invite Mads from sailife (the man who fettles yet never sails)  to come out for a visit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke/videos?disable_polymer=1

D

Given my age my motto is "sail now... fettle later" And god bless plastic boats that are functionally immortal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I would guess hat they have seen the success of Sampson boats

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

and realise that a cute chick is no longer  enough to cut the mustard when it comes to partreon income because there are so many other cute chicks asking for the same thing.

However, I find the endless fettling vids a bit dull....

Old sea dog's latest

involves eating Italian food in Panama, stealing water, compaining when he drops his hook  too close to a proeper mooring  and fettle, fettle fettle fettle in a hot place - I admire his diligence and focus on churning out 16 minutes of film a week from the cabin of a steel yacht in a ferkin hot and humid place.

I am sure that travelling the world in a new boat with a million or two in the bank is great fun... but scrimping and saving and fettling and doing paperwork in hot places  while making videos does not appeal to  me at all.  I have a very low tolerance for meaningless bureacracy and find it hard to relax once the temperature gets above 20c (70F). Editing on a laptop drives me spare. I only do one bit of boat related paperwork a year - and that is to not cancel my automatic renewal of the third party insurance on Katie L

The heat, the paperwork, the rolly anchorages make tramping the world from cruiser hang out to crusier hang out seem most unapealing.

I think that Old sea dog should invite Mads from sailife (the man who fettles yet never sails)  to come out for a visit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke/videos?disable_polymer=1

D

Given my age my motto is "sail now... fettle later" And god bless plastic boats that are functionally immortal

Yeah - I guess. I didn't think a lot of Barry's last effort and you're right, bitching about someone on a mooring being too close to where you've anchored shows a fairly high level of self-entitlement.

And the traveling to hot places in foreign countries. I can go from 9°8' S to 55°03′ S and 167°57' E to 72°36' E without leaving Australian territory. Probably enough area to keep me happy.

FKT

3 hours ago, random said:

If I could sail away with one of these boat video chicks it would be the one from Abandon Comfort.

Hubba hubba

3 hours ago, random said:

Yep. Great couple, and interesting story - and she's gorgeous as a bonus

Just now, savoir said:

If I could run away with one of these boat video chicks it would be the one from Abandon Comfort.

Hubba hubba

Yeah, but I liked the hippy chick who went from US to Australia on the old wooden boat.

While out sailing over the past two weeks, my wife and I decided that we should make a video that spoofs as many of these vlogs as possible.

We would each dress up, reconfigure the boat and film a brief vlog entry for each one, into a single compilation video.

• Like 2

As an unabashed admirer of The Dyl, and becoming closer to retirement myself, I feel, despite the general consensus to the contrary, that some of us - 'of a certain age' (is that the term?) - are indeed entitled to be curmudgeonly, if, for no other reason that we can't realistically expect to find ourselves alone in the company of weird tattooed Estonian mawthers. I hereby promise not to fettle my boat in front of you, and, should I 'fall upon' a random Eastern Bloc hooker (more likely Venezuelan or Guyanese in these parts) I will keep our sordid exploits to myself. Unlike that grotty gap-toothed simpleton. 

(This message brought to you by Fernandes Vat19)

12 minutes ago, solosailor said:

It's easier to say "youth is wasted on the young".

You're quite correct, but rum doesn't work that way.

18 hours ago, Ajax said:

While out sailing over the past two weeks, my wife and I decided that we should make a video that spoofs as many of these vlogs as possible.

We would each dress up, reconfigure the boat and film a brief vlog entry for each one, into a single compilation video.

I would pay to see that.

Here in Aus we had a guy take the piss out of the Crocodile Man thing before Steve Erwin existed.

5 hours ago, random said:

I would pay to see that.

Here in Aus we had a guy take the piss out of the Crocodile Man thing before Steve Erwin existed.

that was very funny

Dylan

Russell Coight is a big star in Australia. He has done all the talk shows.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:01 AM, random said:

I'm the other way. Nice couple and they worked hard on their HR from what we saw. Made a huge deal about planning a dream cruise to Cuba. I've been following along and enjoyed it. Then they got cold feet, ran out their papers, and sold the boat before learning to trim the sails. The furthest they got was a motor-sail to the dry tortugas. I will tune back in if they end up going somewhere, but buckle in for a lot of footage of airbnb's and talk about minimalism along the way.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

I'm the other way. Nice couple and they worked hard on their HR from what we saw. Made a huge deal about planning a dream cruise to Cuba. I've been following along and enjoyed it. Then they got cold feet, ran out their papers, and sold the boat before learning to trim the sails. The furthest they got was a motor-sail to the dry tortugas. I will tune back in if they end up going somewhere, but buckle in for a lot of footage of airbnb's and talk about minimalism along the way.

I feel like it was such an awful decision to sell the HR.  Such a nice boat.  owell...   to each their own....

36 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I feel like it was such an awful decision to sell the HR.  Such a nice boat.  owell...   to each their own....

And an odd one. Before doing anything in it and after bothering to replace the teak deck. 90 miles from their dream spot. My guess is there were some issues with it (engine or hull) that strategically didn't make the videos for resale value. Or maybe they just had trouble making the jump, even in front of a studio audience.

I would have thought they ran out of cash, but that falmouth will end up costing them the same after all the sunk costs getting it up to speed. even if they do go somewhere interesting, I think I'd feel to badly for the dog watching it stuck in the 22 for anything much past a weekend.

32 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

And an odd one. Before doing anything in it and after bothering to replace the teak deck. 90 miles from their dream spot. My guess is there were some issues with it (engine or hull) that strategically didn't make the videos for resale value. Or maybe they just had trouble making the jump, even in front of a studio audience.

I would have thought they ran out of cash, but that falmouth will end up costing them the same after all the sunk costs getting it up to speed. even if they do go somewhere interesting, I think I'd feel to badly for the dog watching it stuck in the 22 for anything much past a weekend.

I assume it was mainly cash - an HR  of that length is an expensive thing to keep - slip fees, haulouts, replacement parts, engine repairs and servicing. Looking at their video stats they were not making enough money to cover the costs... they are going to try something different from the tits in the sun schtick - wooden chicks and mahogany decks perhaps. 

Good for her being prepared to scale down - as for the idea of trailering their new woody.... maybe... maybe not.

All that aside the films are better made than most sailing vlogs and certainl better than kiwi man and eastern european chicks from Ceil. We are lucky blokes to have such a diverse panoply of sailing based entertainment.

D

4 hours ago, savoir said:

Russell Coight is a big star in Australia. He has done all the talk shows.

I spent a very happy hour watching his stuff this afternoon - he leaves not a comedy stone unturned

19 hours ago, savoir said:

Russell Coight is a big star in Australia. 

Those are all very old vids ..he has been out of the entertainment loop for years..has been running  a crocodile based zoo/nature park in Darwin (Nth Australia) with a male friend. He is about to make a mainstream comedy comeback. He is very very funny because that is actually what he is like in real life..the secret to comedy.

I love the way the awful jokes come lumbering into view - they are not afraid of re-using gags again and again. They are also ripping the shit out of the TV industry - however, judging the way they used good light and got in some brilliant travel shots - which they then fekked about with    but the  brilliant filming of your lovely scenery  was top notch.

- it is shot by pros, scripted by a comic genius. 

now let us turn attention to Mr Canoehead and what it might reveal about what it means to be Canadian

Dylan

Aussie outback fan favourite Russell Coight set to return to screens and to the Red Centre

10002726-3x2-large.jpg?v=2

Fan favourite and 'outback survival guru' Russell Coight is back, returning to television screens next month after a 16-year hiatus.

Having previously filmed at the Ooraminna Station Homestead south of Alice Springs, the popular personality returned to film there last year, as well as other locations in the region.

Produced by Working Dog Productions, Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures first hit screens in 2001, and then, following two seasons and a telemovie, it wrapped in 2004.

The mockumentary-style series featured the continuous misadventures of the hapless outback guide, played by comedian Glenn Robbins, who also played the character of Kel Knight in the Kath and Kim series.

Mr Canoehead is a classic!  That was my halloween costume one year.  Awesome.

Kel knight ?  He was on Dancing with the Stars.  Stole the show.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, dylan winter said:

I assume it was mainly cash - an HR  of that length is an expensive thing to keep - slip fees, haulouts, replacement parts, engine repairs and servicing. Looking at their video stats they were not making enough money to cover the costs... they are going to try something different from the tits in the sun schtick - wooden chicks and mahogany decks perhaps. 

good point. doubt though they are going to live aboard that 22 up on a trailer, so now they'll have to factor in a place to live and rent. shame they didn't abandon comfort and find some work to pay for the jump.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, dylan winter said:

I came across this film of yachts leaving the hamble beffore the start of the round the island race

Astonishing.  Even a bit Pythonesque.  On. Day like that, I think I’d go for a nice bike ride.  

On 7/17/2018 at 7:41 AM, dylan winter said:

I love the way the awful jokes come lumbering into view - they are not afraid of re-using gags again and again. They are also ripping the shit out of the TV industry - however, judging the way they used good light and got in some brilliant travel shots - which they then fekked about with    but the  brilliant filming of your lovely scenery  was top notch.

now let us turn attention to Mr Canoehead and what it might reveal about what it means to be Canadian

Dylan

Thanks for Mr Canoe Head, stranger!

In these troubled times, he’s an aluminum hero whose time has come!

!

On 7/17/2018 at 10:41 AM, dylan winter said:

Dylan

Oh lord.

If you like that one, from the same crew, of how fur trapping voyageurs are surviving in modern times.

If you're going KITH, you gotta go full Chicken Lady:

Mister Canoehead wasn't the same crew as Kids in the hall, he was a running series by The Frantics. 

On 7/18/2018 at 7:19 AM, dylan winter said:

I came across this film of yachts leaving the hamble beffore the start of the round the island race

Thanks for that Dylan. I have great memories of my time living in Hamble and the RTI race in particular. It reminded of that fantastic old joke 'What's brown and steams out of cows?'

1 hour ago, sculpin said:

Mister Canoehead wasn't the same crew as Kids in the hall, he was a running series by The Frantics. 

Well that was a brain fart, got them confused with Four On The Floor.

Just to complete the th'd drift probably the best of bunch was Rick Green's sci-fi alter ego Commander Rick and his distinctly Canadian take on the business of science fiction.

Small snippet covering the marketing of 90's pop culture with small snippets from just about everybody from a younger JRR Martin (pre Game Of Thrones) to a young Mat Groening just starting to reap the benefits of The Simpsons being a hit.

Has the Vagamite kid been born yet?

If not someone should warn Tach that attending childbirth is like watching your favourite pub burn down.

Abandon comfort - fixes their trailer with the help of their dad

nice lookingboat

that aside the comments are quite interesting regarding funding and boat length for blue water

Maybe they are fans of the Pardeys. The boat has a similar look.

I sure wouldn't sell a HR for one of those.

49 minutes ago, savoir said:

Maybe they are fans of the Pardeys. The boat has a similar look.

I sure wouldn't sell a HR for one of those.

needs must I guess

a short boat on a small trailer is cheaper to keep than big boat in a marina

The boat repair video business is less crowded than the  babe in warm water genre.

La vag are getting very productive and have put out four vids in the past week

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdQjaSoLjIzFnWsDQOv4ww/videos

no idea how many patreons are paying the minimum of $3 a month - some clearly pay more

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

but this is serious money

L vag have 2,500 patreons

and are forging ahead of SV delos with their paltry 2,000

https://www.patreon.com/svdelos

These video pros are astonishingly successful

and go from  strength to strength.

goodonem!

D

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 8:53 AM, dylan winter said:

Abandon comfort - fixes their trailer with the help of their dad

nice lookingboat

that aside the comments are quite interesting regarding funding and boat length for blue water

It is an interesting boat, and a bit of a lesson in excess wetted surface. It should keep them safe at low cost. I don't mind the help from family at all, but it is an example of a 15 min video that could have been 7 1/2 mins and better for it.

5 minutes ago, steele said:

It is an interesting boat, and a bit of a lesson in excess wetted surface. It should keep them safe at low cost. I don't mind the help from family at all, but it is an example of a 15 min video that could have been 7 1/2 mins and better for it.

I like the comments about being too small and how you would  drive each other nuts

I think that people can drive you nuts in a 40 footer too.

I like the look of the boat - but plastic is such a great material that it seels a shame to turn your back on  it

I have always had a soft spot for the Francis 26

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5644

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freewheelin said:

especially sitting in dad's yard

dunno about you, but if my 28 year old son decided that he was going to spend a few months working on his wooden boat in my front yard then I would be as pleased as punch to be able to share the experience with him. I would be quite happy for him to knacker every power tool I possess

Good on him - good on his dad

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

dunno about you, but if my 28 year old son decided that he was going to spend a few months working on his wooden boat in my front yard then I would be as pleased as punch to be able to share the experience with him. I would be quite happy for him to knacker every power tool I possess

Good on him - good on his dad

Personally I'd head to Bunnings and buy him a complete new set of tools..... while carefully locking mine away, out of sight.

Well, maybe not lock away the Aldi tools as they're kind of disposa-tools anyway. Though I haven't killed their 5" angle grinder yet and it's not for want of trying.

Funny thing - the Adventure Adrift couple are heading back to Mexico to get a bigger boat. Seems their 36' VARUNA can't carry all the stuff they have decided they need. Be mildly interesting seeing what they get, because for some people, the boat is never big enough (Yoohoo, Mike, are you listening here? What's the next upgrade from 60' and 42 tonnes????)........

FKT

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

and are forging ahead of SV delos with their paltry 2,000

https://www.patreon.com/svdelos

They are going to need some serious bucks for this.

SV Delos

For the past 8 years we’ve sailed the world, dedicated to capturing and sharing the amazing beauty of this small marble we call home!  We’ve witnessed first hand the elegance of nature at work, and also the impact humanity has had on our land and oceans.  Our goal is to produce high quality, entertaining, and educational videos that help us understand the most exotic and fragile ecosystems on the planet.

To accomplish this we will build Delos 2.0, an expeditionary style sailboat capable of traversing all corners of the globe! She will emphasize alternative energy sources, hybrid-electric drives, and be designed from the ground up to be the ultimate filming platform, both above and below the water.  The information on this page has  specific details on our quest to build the ultimate sailing and filming machine!

Help us to conserve and share this small blue bubble we call home with as many people as we can by supporting us at http://patreon.com/svdelos !

Summary

We are looking to build a rugged expeditionary style cruising yacht capable of both tropical and high latitude cruising.  The focus will be exploring remote corners of the earth for extended periods of time.  We tend to stay away from marinas so self sufficiency is important to us.  We enjoy exploring rivers, reefs, and poorly charted water so a lifting\swing keel is something to explore for us.  We also do a lot of diving so the design will need to incorporate easy access to the water as well as a shop\garage for compressor and dive equipment.  We would like to take the experience and knowledge from sailing Delos (Amel Super Maramu 53) and incorporate this into a more modern hull design.  A good protected helm and cockpit area is a must for us.  The approximate type of sailing will be 75% tradewinds/tropics, 15% moderate latitudes, 10% high latitude. 

When considering the design we want to experiment with new technologies and ideas that others may not in a traditional build.  We plan on seriously considering hybrid diesel-electric power combinations, large battery banks, DC only generators, and a big solar array.  The yacht should stress functionality and purpose over luxury.

Our intention is to film the creation of this yacht (Delos 2.0) and show the design, construction, and fitting out from inception to launch.  We will then sail her around the world as a filming platform to continue our project.  

Basic Criteria-

• LOA- 60-70 ft (monohull)
  • Beam- As much as possible without negative characteristics, beam carried far aft.
  • Draft- 1 to 1.5 meters (swing/lifting keel)
  • Hull- Unpainted Aluminum, GRP, or composite
  • Fuel- Self-sufficient for 3-5 months at a time.
  • Cabins- We typically sail with 4 people, but on occasions may need berths for 9-10
  • Rig- Cutter or Ketch
  • Rudder- Twin rudder or kick-up rudder allowing for shoal draft

If you have any information on yacht design, construction, or any existing yachts you think we would be interested in please email us at svdelos2.0@gmail.com.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

When considering the design we want to experiment with new technologies and ideas that others may not in a traditional build.  We plan on seriously considering hybrid diesel-electric power combinations, large battery banks, DC only generators, and a big solar array.  The yacht should stress functionality and purpose over luxury.

Nothing new about diesel-electric drive systems, I used to spend time working on a blue water stern trawler with diesel-electric drives. 60-70 feet still isn't going to provide enough free deck space for any really useful amount of PV panels either.

It'll be entertaining watching the build, assuming it ever happens. I would have thought that some of the aluminium multi-chine daggerboard expedition vessels would be pretty close to requirement.

FKT

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

We are looking to build a rugged expeditionary style cruising yacht capable of both tropical and high latitude cruising.

[snip]

Basic Criteria-

• LOA- 60-70 ft (monohull)
  • Beam- As much as possible without negative characteristics, beam carried far aft.
  • Draft- 1 to 1.5 meters (swing/lifting keel)
  • Hull- Unpainted Aluminum, GRP, or composite
  • Fuel- Self-sufficient for 3-5 months at a time.
  • Cabins- We typically sail with 4 people, but on occasions may need berths for 9-10
  • Rig- Cutter or Ketch
  • Rudder- Twin rudder or kick-up rudder allowing for shoal draft

So they want something like a Boreal 63 or Skip Novak's Pelagic Australis.

What will that cost to build?  Can it be done under US$1million without huge doses of unpaid labour?

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

It'll be entertaining watching the build, assuming it ever happens. I would have thought that some of the aluminium multi-chine daggerboard expedition vessels would be pretty close to requirement.

36 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

What will that cost to build?  Can it be done under US$1million without huge doses of unpaid labour?

A 60' foot alloy French expedition production boat around USD$1M basic before goodies. The lineup to get one probably 2 year wait. If you can find a used one, price will be not be much less than new. Custom add 50% minimum. Could get a copy made in Asia for a lot less but not sure it would still be afloat after a year.

I think they might be in that Amel for a while yet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm not even sure the Amel is paid off yet.  Brian was carrying a note on Delos a lot longer than I thought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

On those numbers, my initial reaction is to agree.

However ... the Delos Patreon page says 2,042 patrons at $5 per video.  Weekly videos makes that over $100k p.a.

Five years ago, the idea of $100k p.a. in donations for videos of people having fun sailing would have been laughed out of the water.  Yet it's happening.

As @dylan winter frequently reminds us, these innovative business models are breaking new ground. "Impossible" looks less certain. For example ... how about offering a week on Delos 2.0 at some point in her first 5 years to each of 500 people who stomp up $2k each towards the build?  That would be the million .... and they might pull it off.  It'd mean 100 investor weeks on Delos2 each year, but if they take 5 at a time, they'd be doing only 20 weeks a year with investors.

So I wouldn't rule anything out.

19 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

On those numbers, my initial reaction is to agree.

Not just the numbers noting $100k is $25k each pa to live on plus run a boat. A production boat the most cost effective (in fact Boreal, Garcia etc good value for money custom outcome) approach so they still have a long wait. There are not too many bankers around that understand ships mortgage and Patreon land is servicing the debt.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not just the numbers. A production boat the most cost effective (in fact good value for money) approach so they still have a long wait. There are not too many bankers around that understand ships mortgage and Patreon land is servicing the debt. 

Sure, it's easy to see plenty of genuine obstacles.  But I still think that the new possibilities mean that those obstacles may be surmountable.

Delos videos are pulling in a steady 100k+ videos per episode.  That creates a lot of leverage to be used in several dimensions.

16 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Sure, it's easy to see plenty of genuine obstacles. 

Delos videos are pulling in a steady 100k+ videos per episode

Don't forget Patreon income also only flows when they have connection to the internet or alternatively they sell a kidney each to pay the sat upload costs.

That's $100k+ per annum not per vid.

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Don't forget Patreon income also only flows when they have connection to the internet or alternatively they sell a kidney each to pay the sat upload costs.

That's $100k+ per annum not per vid.

Not so on upload timing/costs.  Patreon income flows when a video goes live.  They have been pre-uploading multiple episodes before long passages, and AFAICS they have managed a consistent 1-per week output for the last year.  So I reckon $100k+ per annum is a decent estimate of their revenue.

But my typo obscured my point about 100k+ views per episode (I mistakenly wrote a meaningless "100k+ videos per episode".).  100k+ views every week is a lot of exposure to offer businesses involved in making and equipping a new boat, as is 275k Youtube subscribers, 77k likes on Facebook and 87k followers on Instagram.  Of course those numbers won't trouble Oprah, but in sailing they are big.  By comparison, Yachting World magazine's social media following is 65k Youtube/194k Facebook.; HallbergRassy is 48k on Facebook/26k on Instagram.

La Vag had a smaller online footprint when it leveraged its viewer base into some sort of deal on a new boat, so Delos has possibilities for doing something similar.  With ECB base rates at 0.25% for the last few years, commercial rates for €1million-ish loans in the eurozone are only ~2%, so Outremer won't have sweated itself financing La Vag II (€600k-ish price, 2% interest = €12k p.a.) ... and even a modest-sized company part-backing Delos 2.0 wouldn't be stretched too far.

So I think the viability of Delos 2.0 is mostly a matter of ability to make deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Not so on upload timing/costs.  Patreon income flows when a video goes live.  They have been pre-uploading multiple episodes before long passages, and AFAICS they have managed a consistent 1-per week output for the last year

They haven't had consistent 1 per week output. First they have had at times around 2/3 month lag times in the Indian Ocean, less on the Atlantic between real and upload. This is on a account when they get to internet connection land like first Madagaskar, Sth Africa etc it is there they regularly upload from stored episodes ready to go while there and if any are left over plus those made there are preloaded for the next leg giving the appearance of weekly. When away from those connections, no preload, no revenue. Their Indian Ocean tour had some big upload gaps simply because they didn't have the preload material on hand to cover the long time out of range.

They do a good job and quite frankly it is a job. All the same however there are cash flow gaps there which are not something bankers like. They do have another problem with this approach when coming back to civilisation when still using historical material when other vloggers have them in real time much further down the track. For instance Brazil is being uploaded now but they are shown to be in the Carribbean by these bloggers. This lag issue will be exacerbated if their intention is to go expedition not bar touring, which is actually one of their strongpoints in this market.

Remembering that one Patreon selling point is advance viewing ahead of Joe Public,  I don't know if the above "spoiler" issue is a problem or not with their audience, though interestingly their Patreon numbers have fallen behind Le Vag's in a period when Le Vag's uploads are nearly in real time. Just a coincidence, I don't know?

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

So I think the viability of Delos 2.0 is mostly a matter of ability to make deals...

..Outremer won't have sweated itself financing La Vag II(€600k-ish price, 2% interest = €12k p.a.) ... and even a modest-sized company part-backing Delos 2.0 wouldn't be stretched too far.

True but for the boat they want those builders are not like Outreamer/their parent and have a 2 year order book. They don't need to make deals on subsidised boats and particularly when it pushes their real customers and their real cash flow backwards and their level of debt up.

They might need to change their boat wish list if they want to prosecute that sort of deal.

Not sure how much bearing it has on the topic, but WRT the Vags and Outremer, I remember seeing that the Marketing Director for Outremer was already a big fan of Vags when initial contact was made between the two. I would think that went a long way towards them working out their boat deal.

(Dylan, when you finish the UK and are looking at a new series, I may be able to plonk you into a nice older but capable, smallish vessel for you to use while Turning Left in the US... :) )

35 minutes ago, CapnK said:

(Dylan, when you finish the UK and are looking at a new series, I may be able to plonk you into a nice older but capable, smallish vessel for you to use while Turning Left in the US... :) )

Capnk, are you gonna send puir wee @dylan winter anti-clockwise through Panama and the North-West Passage in a 4ksb?

14 minutes ago, CapnK said:

Not sure how much bearing it has on the topic, but WRT the Vags and Outremer, I remember seeing that the Marketing Director for Outremer was already a big fan of Vags when initial contact was made between the two. I would think that went a long way towards them working out their boat deal.

I would love to see the chesapeake - and thanks for the offer of the boat

although in line with the owners of shit boats everywhere it is not the cost of the boat that is the snag - it is the cost of running it.

When I was sailing in scotland it was costing me around £6K per year to run the operation - the boat I was sailing cost me £5.5 to buy.

One rainy storm bound week in Dunstaffnage marina (£25 a night) I  started drinking with a retired banker who was using his money wisely and was sailing his 50 footer (value 250K) around scotland. We were  walking down a pontoon and he said to me that being a banker he ran a spread sheet and said  "In my experience,, the trouble with sailing is that running costs are around 15 per  cent of total boat value". 

Fek.... as a shit box sailor that would be wonderful - I thought.... but never said it.

I have had several offers of boat loans to complete the scottish venture... there are lots of blokes who  keep boats in scotland but only sail them for a month a year. In return for covering the costs of running their boats they were prepared to loan them to me for the other 11 months.  

I am not a fit person to loan a boat to.  To film I have to get close to the edge  so I am always bumping into things - rocks, supermarket tollies. I also get a fair number of prop wraps from crab pot lines and my motto is generally "sail now.. fettle later." So it is best not to offer to loan me a boat - especailly if you cre for it at all.

I have around eight films (or series)  to post which I will put up this winter.  There is little point in posting the films in the summer.   After that the cupboard will be bare.

I have decided not to edit or post at all in the summer because I would rather spend my last fit decade afloat sailing my shallow draft 22 footer around my regular east coast haunts than sat at a computer editing films while the sun is shining.  How the top video makers find the focus to spend all that time down below decks  editing in such wonderful places  I do not know.

To restart sailing in scotland I need a boat with inside steering, a drone and a replacement for the last camera I drowned.  The financial hump I have to cross to start filming again seems to get bigger and bigger.

if the last few films earn enough to start again then I will do that because scotland is a magnificent place to sail - this flat east coast is also a great place to sail but (weather aside) scotland is much more spectacular.

If the films  don't earn enough then I will just schlep up and down this east coast until  the pension kicks in at 67 - then, assuming  my knees are still good enough, I will have the cash for another few years sailing in scotland and Ireland.

D

I

I disagree with the "need" for a drone.  You've made beautiful videos without one and I don't think that would be the defining criteria as to whether people watch your videos.

I spent the weekend trying to capture drone footage of Illegal Smile's Welsford Pathfinder under sail.  Flying a drone around the confines of a marina with masts and cranes sticking up everywhere is very anxiety inducing. The drone was even attacked by a bird...only a starling, fortunately.  You really have to practice flying the damned things.

Launch and recovery off of my anchored, stationary boat was also tense for me. I cannot imagine launching and recovering on a moving boat, while singlehanded. That crazy Nord from "No Bullshit, Just Sailing" does it all the time with a much more expensive drone than mine.

I think you'd do the Chesapeake real justice if you came out to film it but it would probably kill you. The tributaries and the main bay sometimes (often?) freeze solid in winter and the summer heat would melt you into a pile of goo.  You'd race the clock from March to May and again from October to maybe December to get your filming done.

“ I am not a fit person to loan a boat to.  To film I have to get close to the edge  so I am always bumping into things - rocks, supermarket tollies. I also get a fair number of prop wraps from crab pot lines and my motto is generally "sail now.. fettle later." So it is best not to offer to loan me a boat - especailly if you cre for it at all.”

you know now you can borrow one or two of mine! I could care less if you beat them up- I just fixe them back up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I would love to see the chesapeake - and thanks for the offer of the boat

Save the Chessie and Down East for later - I think you'd be more at home initially down here in the Carolina Lowcountry and Georgia. We have 5-9 foot tides, little meandering creeks everywhere, as much history as any place in the US, and lots and lots and lots of mudflats. ;)

Bonus: oysters are the only 'hard stuff' underwater. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapnK said:

Save the Chessie and Down East for later - I think you'd be more at home initially down here in the Carolina Lowcountry and Georgia. We have 5-9 foot tides, little meandering creeks everywhere, as much history as any place in the US, and lots and lots and lots of mudflats. ;)

And you can sail comfortably from late September all the way through until mid-July.  But yes, the Lowcountry has many features in common with East Anglia (& better cuisine, if I do say so myself).

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I disagree with the "need" for a drone.  You've made beautiful videos without one and I don't think that would be the defining criteria as to whether people watch your videos.

I spent the weekend trying to capture drone footage of Illegal Smile's Welsford Pathfinder under sail.  Flying a drone around the confines of a marina with masts and cranes sticking up everywhere is very anxiety inducing. The drone was even attacked by a bird...only a starling, fortunately.  You really have to practice flying the damned things.

Launch and recovery off of my anchored, stationary boat was also tense for me. I cannot imagine launching and recovering on a moving boat, while singlehanded. That crazy Nord from "No Bullshit, Just Sailing" does it all the time with a much more expensive drone than mine.

I think you'd do the Chesapeake real justice if you came out to film it but it would probably kill you. The tributaries and the main bay sometimes (often?) freeze solid in winter and the summer heat would melt you into a pile of goo.  You'd race the clock from March to May and again from October to maybe December to get your filming done.

I think that the drone thing is a double edged swored. The drone immediatly takes the viwer out of the boat - my films are generally shot from the cockpit so the people watching feel as though they are onboard.

I would not even try to use one around a marina or even through a set of moorings.  I would use the drone to film the boat - keeping it fairly low down while working through narrow passages.

such as salt marsh expeditions.

The drones are getting better and better at following people and objects

D

1 hour ago, CapnK said:

That sounds lovely - I hope your mud smells nice. Here in east anglia  with our 20 foot tides it smells clean and fresh and lovely.

I am so lucky to sail in a country where you can go sailing right through the year

although there are times when it gets a bit parky

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I think that the drone thing is a double edged swored. The drone immediatly takes the viwer out of the boat - my films are generally shot from the cockpit so the people watching feel as though they are onboard.

An oldie but a goodie with the soothing voice of Otis Redding.

Hard, well for me anyway to imagine if adding cockpit shots here would improve or spoil it??

• Like 1

So Dylan, when you finish with the Chesapeake you have to come check out Lake Superior....

just snapped this picture of Pic Island fine on our port bow this morning, unfortunately not a breath of wind, but 5he scenery is lovely (like Scotland without the whiskey).

75F8D991-159E-4C95-AB36-854D19DCF3E1.jpeg