• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

I think most of these videos fulfill our similar morbid fascination with train wrecks, car crashes and reality TV shows. We only watch them out of a fascination to see the crash and perhaps shake our head in a superior fashion, that at least we're smarter..... (just not smart enough to avoid the vids totally--ok, so I FFwd a lot). YMMV

Miss Lone star has dropped even further over the edge and her personal circumstances are getting ever more bizarre

Nothing at all about sailing or adventuring - a real soap opera- so I apologise for even posting it here

Lot of hits though

The comments on youtube are too painful to read - I would have deleted the commments from the arsewipes

when people are rude on my youtube or website I just kill the comments.

One bloke called me a cretin the other day - not heard that word for years so he is obviously an old bloke who should know better

D

This is just sad... Watched a few of their vids early on, but then lost track.

She needs help, and hopefully the family will prevail on her to seek it.

Anyway...no tits (I hope) in the first of this series of vids by Webb Chiles.

Just some good balls out sailing on a Moore 24 in the IO:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdl7dZLxNI4VIB_eOiaNgiQ

S/V Delos made the famous A-Hed column in the Wall St Journal (paywall site) today:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/office-hostage-escapes-to-sail-the-seas-re-creates-office-1478536723

Interesting, for some reason I thought he was a trust fund kid. Can anybody post the full article, yes I am too lazy to sign up for even $1. I have ENOUGH on-line accounts.

Here's a pretty young guy doing it singlehanded on a Cape Dory 30. No tits, just him. Not very exciting, videography skills aren't on par with Dylan's but he seems honest and I enjoyed it.

Solo from Seattle to Hawaii:

http://youtu.be/7NfbHfcYSvM

Hawaii to Marshall Islands:

http://youtu.be/cILxHUfF-u4

You are being too kind Alex. That guys vids are justplain dreadful. I was hoping to get a look at Majuro but all you can see is him rowing. Majuro is an interesting place that everyone should visit at least once to see how too many yankee dollars can destroy paradise.

My avatar is from the north shore of Majuro.

You are being too kind Alex. That guys vids are justplain dreadful. I was hoping to get a look at Majuro but all you can see is him rowing. Majuro is an interesting place that everyone should visit at least once to see how too many yankee dollars can destroy paradise.

My avatar is from the north shore of Majuro.

I'm afraid I agree, but I'm too polite to say it.

Cross channel pollination has been a staple since The Green Hornet guest starred on Batman (Kato vs Robin, lulz), it's now reached sailing channels...

I couldn't stand to watch more than 20 seconds at a time, can you tell us the story please?

Cross channel pollination has been a staple since The Green Hornet guest starred on Batman (Kato vs Robin, lulz), it's now reached sailing channels...

I couldn't stand to watch more than 20 seconds at a time, can you tell us the story please?

In short, Rick is winning the hot girls on sailboats war by shear quantity.

Nicely done. Cool drawrings and animations - made otherwise potentially tedious scenes kind of fun.

Still could have been edited down a little, maybe.

Even though he was a little weird I'm with the French guy. It's blowing darned near zero, the boat is doing nothing, the fish aren't biting and that numbskull says " What's the plan ?" Fucking hell what does he expect ? Call SeaTow maybe ?

Sheesh !

Nicely done. Cool drawrings and animations - made otherwise potentially tedious scenes kind of fun.

Still could have been edited down a little, maybe.

Even though he was a little weird I'm with the French guy. It's blowing darned near zero, the boat is doing nothing, the fish aren't biting and that numbskull says " What's the plan ?" Fucking hell what does he expect ? Call SeaTow maybe ?

Sheesh !

You mean the Swiss guy?

I watched a couple of other episodes in this series and the author can be quite a dick at times. I suspect that this might be due in part to trying to use the brain to operate the camera while also operating the mouth. But he also seems to frequently be deceptive in tricking people into being in his movies.

Thanks to this thread for showing me KTL - it's wonderful.

If I ever start video stuff I hope it's even 1/4 as good.

Dylan has had only about 300 years of professional experience in video-making.

I'm sure you'll catch him up soon ;)

wow that is amazing

is this the first sign of a genre imploding?

gotta hand it to these big hitting stars of sailing and bikinis - they surely know how to churn them out

my few films a year seem like hideoous underperformance

and

thanks alctel

went out sailing on the Clyde today

just five degrees above zero today

the snow capped hills iof Bute as a backdrop

might be a frost tonight

must do better

D

Quality is better than quantity, Dylan. :)

that has never been true

I have been turning out sailing viideos for nearlly ten years now and over the past two years the "market" has grown amazingly

- not for my old style travelogues - but for the wenches and winches genre

these films are amazing for the energy and skill from the people who make them and the people who appear/perform in them

they are now taking on proper cameramen (la vagabonde has a video man on board) and sophisticated lady now recruits guest stars. These people are making real money (la vagabonde is making $7,000 a week!)

they are young people sailing boats and making sailing sexy

you often get threads where old blokes bemoan the fact that you hardly ever see young people saiiling

these sorts of films are being wwatched by those who have no interest in boats and if they see sexy people sailing then that has to be good for the industry.

These people might buy boats - or charter them and help to fill the gap toothed marinas we all use. They might even blow life back into the market for sub 35 foot boats.

As for the latest addition to the crew on sophisticated lady.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIcsyW5rnZofseMdrJUKMhQ

Rick Moore is a genius - and an excellent film maker

as I get older it is interesting watching boats grow old gracefully. I used to lust after chuck pain's victoria 26.

I cycled past one the other day now looking rather tatty but still desirable

maybe one day the victoria 26 will be within my price bracket - but I am probably already too old for one

I have seen the old Centaur enter my price bracket - although I never lusted after them

now we can watch retired playboy centrefolds grow old gracefully

here she is in her airbrushed prime

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22aubrey+wilson%22+playboy&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqq6mJitDQAhVM3SwKHQLGAgYQ_AUICSgC&biw=1787&bih=883&dpr=0.9

goodonher

she is still cutting the mustard and Rick has found a way of getting more people to subscribe to and maybe support his film making.

goodonhim

goodonbothofthem

they make the world a happier place

D

this was the the Clyde yesterday - a happy but chilly place for an oold man to go winter sailing

S2630015-sunslight.jpg

I think styles of videos (yours and young hotties sailing) have appeal and I think you've hit the nail on the head. While many here may not like the "young hottie" video's It will bring people into sailing. That's a good thing, someday we'll all need to sell our old boats and it's damn good to have young sailors entering the market.

Keep up the great work!

Just some thing to clear up about Patreon - the numbers are mostly "per month" and not "per video" - you're given the option of capping the monthly amount given to any single channel. So Sailing La Vagabond are going to be somewhere above $7500 per month but well below $7500 per video.

Remember that Patreon have something to sell here too so no point in showing numbers that might not seem as magical - this is very much part of their advertising plan. See they even have a bunch of grumpy old sailors talking about it.

With adsense being so fickle a master it's really nice to see some way to montize youtube videos - and it's not all "wenches and winches" that are making money off of it. Boatworks Today (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kDqq-pSzdqFUk3oTaHBuA) is at $1500 a month.

Just some thing to clear up about Patreon - the numbers are mostly "per month" and not "per video" - you're given the option of capping the monthly amount given to any single channel. So Sailing La Vagabond are going to be somewhere above $7500 per month but well below $7500 per video.

Remember that Patreon have something to sell here too so no point in showing numbers that might not seem as magical - this is very much part of their advertising plan. See they even have a bunch of grumpy old sailors talking about it.

With adsense being so fickle a master it's really nice to see some way to montize youtube videos - and it's not all "wenches and winches" that are making money off of it. Boatworks Today (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kDqq-pSzdqFUk3oTaHBuA) is at $1500 a month.

amen to diverse routes to being paid for work done

and these guys are working really hard.

I assume tht editing videos in a hot boat cabin while you are at anchor in a beautiful place with all those distractions outside

and then finding enough bandwidth to upload it it

I am really pleased for these people - they are creating a whole new way of telling a story

you feel that you know them in some way

it is oddly immersive

they are really well done

La Vagabonde now has a full time cameraman aboard

you watch a well cut aussie bloke with his top off cleaning a diesel stove - or doing pull ups against sunset

- only afterwards do you wonder why you watched it

my mistake over Patreon

- I thought it was per film

that changes my perception of the economics.

I think that we live in an amazing period - just imagine if slocum or knox johnson had been as video literate at LaVagabonde

The Purdy's did a good job of it in their day.

These narratives will be available for a long time into the future.

regarding hit numbers

My highest hitting film has Jake's fully clothed girlfriend on the foredeck

58,000 hits

the second highest is prepping a Centaur for Shetland

55,000 hits

dunno what that says

but the good sailing fillm makers are getting five times that with almost every film

marvelous times for film makers

their patreon page says per video

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

at $7,500 per month that is barely covering expenses

but at

at $30,000 per month that is good money made over and above expenses

goodonem

one day the two of them will get a chat show on TV

D

their patreon page says per video

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

Yep it does, but in the "pledging" section of signing up you get to cap the limit per month(see screen shot below). I suppose if patreon knew how many videos they put out a month they could show an average - but I doubt it. So their actual total lies somewhere between 7500 a week and a month.

This is obviously plays into Patreons hands - if it inspires someone to start the next sailing video channel because they think it's 30k a month, Patreon won't complain about taking the 5% (plus processing fees on top...).

What I find interesting about this is that people seem to be approaching this as a business, along the lines of "How do I get to sail around the world". La Vagabond have 2 eBooks for sail, a mailing list, the social media to keep up to date, a merchandise store too. Approach it as a business though it starts to seem a little vulnerable - one major revenue stream is never a comfortable situation to be in.

If the Pardey's did it by fixing boats and writing articles - the next generation will be doing it with a "life style" business, and why not do it somewhere sunny and cheaper to live - or the Clyde in winter if you really want to ;-).

I'm genuinely surprised to find out that KTL is generating that kind of money from Paypal - not a very sophisticated or user friendly way - so we're told. Maybe it's the demographic. I wonder, Dylan, if you started KTL today would you go down the Patreon route - as well as / instead of one off donations?

IMG_1497.PNG

I like the paypal thing

people see a film - they like it a bit

don't pay

but do watch another film - if youtube is doing its job of offering more of the same

then another

then they start watching them in order

if I make a film more people like I get more taps

I ask the blokes to offer a comment with the tap

I always respond

la vagabonde et al are uberoutgunning me

in money perfilm, in frequency of films, in hits that are high enough to open doors in marinas and at least get you great service

if I was running a marina and these kids turned up I would go the extra nine yards to make them like me

KTL has always, at its heart, been a blog

at one time I had subscriptions, then I sold dvds which now look terrible on an hd tv

people now get hd video delivered to their telly from youtube

so now I ask for paypal taps if blokes feel like it

needless to say I could not start doing this until the mortgage was paid and the kids more or less off the books.

I also drive a shit car and sail a shit boat

I have to say this is the worst money I have ever made as a jobbing hack of 40 years experience

but on the upside I go sailing whenever I want to - either in the duck punt in suffolk or the centaur on the clyde

and the taps help me to sail more often and further from home

living 450 miles from the boat is bonkers

I like making films about new places - but moving the boat around is expensive - fortunately a few old blokes more or less pay me to make films about places they have known or might one day sail to

a virtuous circle

there are days when I am out sailing and I am jealous of myself

D

I haven't really watched any KTL videos while the weather was warm. I was fixing up my new boat, and trying desperately, to sail the hell out of it.

Winter is coming and I'll need my KTL fix while I varnish wood and take apart winches, so I hope you've been busy filming. I'll be sending PP taps.

I haven't really watched any KTL videos while the weather was warm. I was fixing up my new boat, and trying desperately, to sail the hell out of it.

Winter is coming and I'll need my KTL fix while I varnish wood and take apart winches, so I hope you've been busy filming. I'll be sending PP taps.

I am planning on making fewer films - but attempting to make each one sustain an hour in front of a telly

that is the good thing about the web

experimentation is possible

and you get instant feedback on the success or otherwise

when I started the films were 8 mins

now they are longer but better structured

that is the aim

D

I am planning on making fewer films - but attempting to make each one sustain an hour in front of a telly

that is the aim

D

FEWER !?!?!! :o:angry::o

What's this 'fewer' shtuff???

It has been brought to my attention that there are now any number of little stocking-stuffer-sized, battery-powered, USB pico-projectors that can equally well project video from laptop or iThing onto the forward bulkhead of the boat, or the fence out by the hot tub.

that is the aim

D

FEWER !?!?!! :o:angry::o

What's this 'fewer' shtuff???

less is more

II am aspiring to be the attenborough of sailing films rather than the "animals do the funniest things" strip shows

Dear Dylan:

Stop hitting the carriage return.

it is the modern way

punctuation was designed as a way of saving expensive paper

the day of caps, full stops, colons - all long gone my friends

welcome to the digital age

Magna_Carta_(British_Library_Cotton_MS_A

Now there's a combination.

When I was a bartender in college (remember when you could pay your way through college?) I poured many a beer for Thijs van Leer. Great guy!

I also saw Jethro Tull play "Thick as a Brick" live. The first song took 90 minutes complete with rabbits, trench coats, pissoirs and phone calls. To say I was blown away would be an understatement. That was the greatest live concert I ever saw. As per usual they ended in the shuffling madness with "Locomotive Breath".

Well posted Dylan.

Dylan:

I prefer your method of presentation. It allows for more expressiveness. It becomes another tool in the bag of communication. I'm sure it's purpose is beyond some but you carry on hitting that return key any time the whim hits you.

Dear Dylan:

it is the modern way

DA-Woody posts in the same way. Drives me batshit, I've been reading properly punctuated paragraphs my whole life.

The problem is my automatic reflex is to just scroll over it because it's an eyesore, and since it visually makes me think of an incoherent idiot, it makes me want to skip it.

Just my $.02. Type whichever way you want, just don't put a six inch tall animated raccoon in your sig line to top it off.

Proper punctuation and spelling is like a secret handshake these days; it lets others know your generation and type of education. Dylan is determined to appear much younger, whereas my twenty-something, grammar queen daughter is passing herself of as much older. Secret handshakes are best done face-to-face.

Using the term "carriage return" is also dating yourself, but I have a nineteen year-old who likes typewriters too. The world is a complicated place for 'oldsters'.

that is the aim

D

I thought one of the issues in this new model of videos and vblogs was making the movies short enough to hold the attention of the viewer?

An hour would be pretty damn long, and I think people might look at the timestamp bar at the bottom and just click off if they don't have the time to invest.

It is my totally uninformed opinion that 30 minutes would be an excellent compromise, but carry on with your experiment. I'm interested in the results. :)

that is the aim

D

I thought one of the issues in this new model of videos and vblogs was making the movies short enough to hold the attention of the viewer?

An hour would be pretty damn long, and I think people might look at the timestamp bar at the bottom and just click off if they don't have the time to invest.

It is my totally uninformed opinion that 30 minutes would be an excellent compromise, but carry on with your experiment. I'm interested in the results. :)

youtube stats will tell me when people flick away to watch something else

if they do that half way through then I will just chop the thing in half

easy peasy

I think I started adding excessive CRs because some of the forum software runs paragraphs all together into an undigestible mass of text.

Dylan, it's interesting that those stats are available for use. I wasn't aware. What about the case of people who won't even start something if the index indicates it's longer than five minutes? I suspect that once you have a following, those loyal viewers know what to expect and won't be put off by long run-times. But new viewers would be less likely to risk an hour of life on an unknown. Is there a statistic for unique "new" viewers?

I think I started adding excessive CRs because some of the forum software runs paragraphs all together into an undigestible mass of text.

Dylan, it's interesting that those stats are available for use. I wasn't aware. What about the case of people who won't even start something if the index indicates it's longer than five minutes? I suspect that once you have a following, those loyal viewers know what to expect and won't be put off by long run-times. But new viewers would be less likely to risk an hour of life on an unknown. Is there a statistic for unique "new" viewers?

Dear Todster,

I hope you are well. I agree about the carriage return but let us try it this way for the anally orientated who like their full stops in the right place.

I am afraid that the youtube stats are not that granular - although I am sure that they have the data. I agree that there is a risk that those with the concentration of gnats will go off elsewhere - but they are unlikely tio be tappers. They mighrt prefer the bikinis - and nothing at all wrong with that.

The people who I really make the films for are the tappers and the Mainly Old Blokes who like the fims enough to engage with them. You tube used to be about hits so if you divide a 60 minute film up into ten minute bits you will get more hits.

But youtube now pays more attention to engagement and retention. They uaed to offer films just on hits, now they look for the number of minutes watched.

A day or two ago a bloke sent me $40. I sent an email back asking if he made a mistake and would like a refund

this was his reply

Dylan,

Absolutely! Worth every penny. and that my friend is praise indeed from a Yorkshireman who are reputed to be as tight as a Scotsman's purse strings AND generous to a fault!

My wife is in remission after chemo and she loves your videosis an Anglophile and she loves it when I talk piffle so she is used to the English language and all it's nuances. She likes the sound of your voice, it sends her to sleep which is a good thing! We watch and listen to your videos on our big fat telly before we go to sleep.

we both enjoy the wonderful camera work, the interesting and amusing commentary and the music. Oh the music! Lyrical, spiritual and perfect unlike other sailing videos that leave you wondering why they chose such incongruous rubbish!

I am only going on because that is also what Yorkshiremen and men of a certain age do and because you obviously read your email because you have time on your hands and because you are a friendly fellow..

Your videos have also sparked my interest in sailing again. I have a Wayfarer which I used to sail in Puget Sound.. Now it is in Florida and I have started to get it ready to sail again..

The way you frame some of your shots are like abstract paintings. And the way you focus on the mundane and breathe new life in to decaying riverside architecture and old boats is inspirational. You have an amazing eye!

yours G

to get the $40 he sent me I would need to get 40,000 youtube hits - assuming that I was still in adsense. It is blokes like G who keep my little project going not the people who love a gobbet of video.

I love the way youtube stats help me to make the films that suit the blokes who like them rather than the odd passing video grazer.

there is theory

http://kk.org/thetechnium/1000-true-fans/

the point being made is that it is better to 1000 people who really like your stuff than three million people who have heard of you.

yours sincerely

Dylan E Winter

Proper punctuation and spelling is like a secret handshake these days; it lets others know your generation and type of education. Dylan is determined to appear much younger, whereas my twenty-something, grammar queen daughter is passing herself of as much older. Secret handshakes are best done face-to-face.

Using the term "carriage return" is also dating yourself, but I have a nineteen year-old who likes typewriters too. The world is a complicated place for 'oldsters'.

We have a piece of gear at my day job, was built in 1998. I had to explain to the 20-something guy who is now running it what [CR] meant on the little keyboard on it. It is a Fuji machine, so I just lied and told him it was the Japanese abbreviation for their word for "enter"...

that is the aim

D

We'd fully appreciate your hour long video.

Like your usual audience, we started in the middle; then we went right - and then left. We enjoyed the earlier vids except that we'd gotten used to sitting for a half hour video. Quite different when you're watching a video with someone - or 3. Your work takes on a higher quality of art than the short Youtube vid, even your own. The viewer can settle in for an adventure.

I would say

a trailer

would be useful

to bring on

new blokes

thanks chaps

It think it is interesting the way video grammar is changing - maybe even faster than the written word. At one time people used to say that anything under five seconds is not a shot. That has gone completely out of the window and shots of one second or two are completely acceptable. As are sentences without proper subjects.

I was watching one of the old combine harvesting films and there is one shot in there that runs for 45 seconds.

I think that the move from the laptop or desktop to the tv is having a major impact on films. In the past a fiive minute gobbet in a tiny window in a forum post or a youtube screen on laptop is about all you want

I now watch a lot of youtube on the big telly - all the old westerns and the original Adams family TV shows. Comedy works in little window because it is mostly radio with pictures but the stuff shot in big places needs a big screen.

The other thing that has changed is that the pieces to camera need framing differently. I big old jowly man on a small low def screen is okay for second or two but on a big telly you need to get further away from the old bloke otherwise you see the hairs coming out of his nose and ears.

Even the current darlings of the moment, the picturesque la vagabonde crew, look a bit weird when they are holding the camera at arms length and you have a 52 inch face in the front room - no matter how pretty it is.

Kris, occasionallly I make an introductory film - but they get out of date very quickly and hooking a youtbe grazer is really tough.

I have made an interactive map that allows people to see where I have been - not very far is the answer but it at least helps to clear up the geography and chronology

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/sailing-around-britain/ktl-master-map-first-four-years/

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/embed?mid=zkGb_Cxh-0jI.kBYuQu2yPiGQ"width="640" height="480"></iframe>

By the way, I was out on the Clyde yyesterday - magnificent day to be afloat

S2640055-clouds.jpg

and on the west bank of Loch Long is this Adams family pile

S2640035-hoose-868x1024.jpg

I'd heard that older TV news anchors (especially women) had serious concerns about how HD television would make them look, and whether they would be forced into retirement in favor of "newer models."

What you say seems to make sense.

Dear Dylan:

it is the modern way

Also to save vellum or parchment, writers would omit vowels -- or entire words, esp. articles or conjunctions. Sometimes a diacrit would be added to help the reader infer the missing info. Niqqud & sukun are examples. Hellacious to read at first, after awhile your brain just fills in the gaps.

Line breaks are the writer's prerogative; alert readers use them to reconstruct the writer's thought process. Punctuation likewise. As a domesticated former poet, I rather dote on Dylan's carriage returns. There's a cadence to them, reminds me of Yeats. :)

Dear Dylan:

it is the modern way

Also to save vellum or parchment, writers would omit vowels -- or entire words, esp. articles or conjunctions. Sometimes a diacrit would be added to help the reader infer the missing info. Niqqud & sukun are examples. Hellacious to read at first, after awhile your brain just fills in the gaps.

Line breaks are the writer's prerogative; alert readers use them to reconstruct the writer's thought process. Punctuation likewise. As a domesticated former poet, I rather dote on Dylan's carriage returns. There's a cadence to them, reminds me of Yeats. :)

Nice. Doting on carriage returns.

Let's drink to poets and the sea, the sky blue forehead-smoothing sea, the mackerel-crowded sea, the Jasper sea, and let's drink to Dylan, a minute of whose films are worth more than hours of those bizarrely vapid "reality TV" lifestyle sailing things.

In the face of the crudeness of our new world we need more poets.

The Southwesterly in Berkeley Square

Comes off Charles Street.

An echo of Labrador,

It bends around the hedge funds

As it had once shaped the blackthorn banners of the west.

Returning to my desk I cannot work.

The swing of the sea disrupts my day

Like a memory of love.

Dear Dylan:

it is the modern way

So with Twitter and texting we've come full circle.

An echo of Labrador,

Like a memory of love.

Ooh, fine stuff.

Even here, there are gulls.

In dry corners of the landfill,

far from any sea, they shun

this sky, grey purses of regret.

An echo of Labrador,

Like a memory of love.

Ooh, fine stuff.

Even here, there are gulls.

In dry corners of the landfill,

far from any sea, they shun

this sky, grey purses of regret.

Non, je n'egret rien

egret-nice-flight.jpg

Dear Dylan:

it is the modern way

Yeah. Okay, I see.

When I was your age, I thought I was a poet, too. In the future, remember this: you want to be in the union, on a union site. Otherwise, you'll just be another former poet/actor/performance artist with a stretched asshole.

P.S. All my friends know exactly where they were and what they were doing when both Kennedys were shot. If you don't, you aren't one of us, and we're not friends.

P.S. All my friends know exactly where they were and what they were doing when both Kennedys were shot. If you don't, you aren't one of us, and we're not friends.

I'm cool with that.

Jammer's beating on Dylan because he may not have the dates of all foreign dignitaries' deaths in the forefront of his brain?

Nyuk nyuk.

Dear Dylan:

it is the modern way

Yeah. Okay, I see.

When I was your age, I thought I was a poet, too. In the future, remember this: you want to be in the union, on a union site. Otherwise, you'll just be another former poet/actor/performance artist with a stretched asshole.

You're still worried about your alibi?

Dear Dylan:

it is the modern way

Yeah. Okay, I see.

epic thread drift here lads

so......picking up both strands

I was an eight year old latchkey kid. I remember eating marmite sandwhiches in a top floor council flat in Holloway while waiting for my mum to come home from work.

As for poetry -

I have not knowingly written a poem since I was 14.

I have always been slightly jealous of people who like it

reading poetry must be a great way of setting the troubles of the world into context at the the end of a long day

but most of it leaves me stone cold

Sea Fever
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

I reckon Dylan has been attending a few late night clandestine dalliances with Woody for taking on board his rather unique grammar tips. The quote from Masefield confirms that Dylan only paid limited attention (understandable), otherwise he would have quoted Ginsberg or Kerouac or even combined the two.

I lie on my back at midnight
hearing the marvelous strange chime
of the clocks, and know it's mid-
night and in that instant the whole
world swims into sight for me
in the form of beautiful swarm-
ing m u t t a worlds-
everything is happening, shining
Buhudda-lands,
bhuti

blazing in faith, I know I'm
forever right & all's I got to
do (as I hear the ordinary
extant voices of ladies talking
in some kitchen at midnight
oilcloth cups of cocoa
cardore to mump the
rinnegain in his
darlin drain-) i will write
it, all the talk of the world
everywhere in this morning, leav-
ing open parentheses sections
for my own accompanying inner
thoughts-with roars of me
all brain-all world
roaring-vibrating-I put
it down, swiftly, 1,000 words
(of pages) compressed into one second
of time-I'll be long
robed & long gold haired in
the famous Greek afternoon
of some Greek City
Fame Immortal & they'll
have to find me where they find
the t h n u p f t of my
shroud bags flying
flag yagging Lucien
Midnight back in their
mouths-Gore Vidal'll
be amazed, annoyed-
my words'll be writ in gold
& preserved in libraries like
Finnegans Wake & Visions of Neal

I reckon Dylan has been attending a few late night clandestine dalliances with Woody for taking on board his rather unique grammar tips. The quote from Masefield confirms that Dylan only paid limited attention (understandable), otherwise he would have quoted Ginsberg or Kerouac or even combined the two.

I lie on my back at midnight

hearing the marvelous strange chime

of the clocks, and know it's mid-

night and in that instant the whole

world swims into sight for me

in the form of beautiful swarm-

ing m u t t a worlds-

everything is happening, shining

Buhudda-lands,

bhuti

blazing in faith, I know I'm

forever right & all's I got to

do (as I hear the ordinary

extant voices of ladies talking

in some kitchen at midnight

oilcloth cups of cocoa

cardore to mump the

rinnegain in his

darlin drain-) i will write

it, all the talk of the world

everywhere in this morning, leav-

ing open parentheses sections

for my own accompanying inner

thoughts-with roars of me

all brain-all world

roaring-vibrating-I put

it down, swiftly, 1,000 words

(of pages) compressed into one second

of time-I'll be long

robed & long gold haired in

the famous Greek afternoon

of some Greek City

Fame Immortal & they'll

have to find me where they find

the t h n u p f t of my

shroud bags flying

flag yagging Lucien

Midnight back in their

mouths-Gore Vidal'll

be amazed, annoyed-

my words'll be writ in gold

& preserved in libraries like

Finnegans Wake & Visions of Neal

Good start to my day. Thanks.

So his shroud bags contain the tails of the running backstay?

Pomes for yachtsmen anyone?

This is a delightful thread drift, not so far off course.

Video, photography, poetry are tools to tell a story. Video and images give a vision to start and the artist follows with editing, words, music, then it all comes together (or doesn't).

Most of my writing (a pastime, mostly), is sailing related. If words come to my mind, they come from sailing photos. What I'm usually after as a writer, is describing sail.

I've got a folder on my desktop with several photos - including this one - and a word doc. In the word doc are several leads of a few words. I know there is something there but I can't get the jumble of words to flow with the photo. That's always the case until something works(or doesn't).

30539195034_6b47d65689_h.jpg

Poetic photo, Kris. No words needed.

For stylized poetry, e e cummings is the champ. He didn't even capitalize or punctuate his name. And there's this:

l(a

le

af

fa

ll

s)

one

l

iness

Looks like Zatara has finally left the dock.

https://sailingzatara.com/videos/

Latest video shows people frolicking on the deck without vests while under sail from FL to the Bahamas. Looks like these folks learn things the hard way.

i worry about them....

Looks like Zatara has finally left the dock.

https://sailingzatara.com/videos/

Latest video shows people frolicking on the deck without vests while under sail from FL to the Bahamas. Looks like these folks learn things the hard way.

i worry about them....

I don't worry about them at all

they are fine and giving their kids a brilliant time

goodonem

D

It's a pretty safe bet to write off anyone who has dreads.

Only an excerpt...

Old pirates, yes, they rob I,

Sold I to the merchant ships

Minutes after they took I

From the bottomless pit

But my 'and was made strong

By the 'and of the Almighty

We forward in this generation

Triumphantly

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom?

'Cause all I ever have

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery

None but our self can free our minds

Have no fear for atomic energy

'Cause none of them can stop the time

How long shall they kill our prophets

While we stand aside and look?

Some say it's just a part of it

We've got to fulfill de book

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom?

'Cause all I ever have

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Redemption songs

Yep, Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.....

In the absence of many nautical pomes, here's one I did myself.

Was going to try to put the whole of our log into "verse" but realised it would take longer than the trip itself. But this first bit was fun to do

1. In which we furtively lay plans.

Winter dreamtime.
Pilot books and passage plans.
Charts in laptops hide guilty secrets of the city dreamer.
“When arrested, the suspect had in his possession neither drugs nor cash,
But the Clyde Cruising Club’s guide to the Northern Isles.

Boat speed unsqueezes things, and at five knots the world reinflates to its true size.
Our Lofoten dreams surrender, and the placename rituals acquire a gentler tone.
Sanday, Scalpay, Flotta, Stromness, Kirkwall, Scapa, Foula,
Lead us to the Edge of the World and the End of the Fleet.

2. We leave Essex towards Lowestoft, the grit in the Pearl of the East, with Keith Band and Janet Dine, of the Harrison Butler 3-tonner Lady Mary. The breeze is initially a vigorous NNW.

From Foulness, Lothing-bound,
through Spitway, Wallet, Goldmer, Rough.

New breeze in the Sledway,
We bolt to weather,
Sprit burying, spray flying, till
Becalmed in a rabble of leaderless waves
We abandon our kinship (oh, such vanity!)
With colliers and barges, with brigs and with bawleys,
And return to this world with the turn of a key,
To skulk up the ghost-ridden coast, like a thief.

Lowestoft feels like a gateway to Hell,
Unloved and unloving, draining the Broads like a surgical wound.
We fumble for lines in an overfull harbour,
Annoyed and annoying in near equal share.

In which we furtively lay plans.

Winter dreamtime.
Pilot books and passage plans.
Charts in laptops hide guilty secrets of the city dreamer.
“When arrested, the suspect had in his possession neither drugs nor cash,
But the Clyde Cruising Club’s guide to the Northern Isles.”
Boat speed unsqueezes things, and at five knots the world reinflates to its true size.
Our Lofoten dreams surrender, and the placename rituals acquire a gentler tone.
Sanday, Scalpay, Flotta, Stromness, Kirkwall, Scapa, Foula,
Lead us to the Edge of the World and the End of the Fleet.
2. We leave Essex towards Lowestoft, the grit in the Pearl of the East,
From Foulness, Lothing-bound,
through Spitway, Wallet, Goldmer, Rough.
New breeze in the Sledway,
We bolt to weather,
Sprit burying, spray flying, till
Becalmed in a rabble of leaderless waves
We abandon our kinship (oh, such vanity!)
With colliers and barges, with brigs and with bawleys,
And return to this world with the turn of a key,
To skulk up the ghost-ridden coast, like a thief.
Lowestoft feels like a gateway to Hell,
Unloved and unloving, draining the Broads like a surgical wound.
We fumble for lines in an overfull harbour,
Annoyed and annoying in near equal share.