dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Hate to say it, but I’m guilty of removing splitters and guards on occasion. 

11 hours ago, mad said:

Hate to say it, but I’m guilty of removing splitters and guards on occasion. 

Me too, I've never used a guard (not advocating that).  As a lifetime builder, I have hours and hours and hours on countless table saws, in shops and outdoors - in mud, slippery or frozen in solid lumps, and god knows what else to trip you up. 

I've had to 'teach' many people to use them over the years. I don't feel comfortable doing that so I only set one real rule for safety. You can't put your fingers on the saws table when it's running. Ok, you'll end up doing that using the miter gauge, but the point is to establish a safe zone on the top(I've even spray painted that area in red on saws). 

That means you can't do an operation like ripping a short piece, even a wide one that makes you 'feel' your fingers are safely outside the cutting area. For the most part, you'll rip long pieces where your feed hand stops at the tables edge, a helper finishes from the other side of the table (hands not over the table). Most often though, I'm alone and walk around the table and pick up the piece on the other side. 

If your fingers aren't anywhere near the blade you can't cut them off. I'm living proof and I don't know of anyone I taught that has lost one either. I do know several stump fingered builders though. 

Too bad for Leo but it could have been much worse. I can only imagine if it was one of his volunteers that lost a fingertip, the liability on him and the land owner could have shut down the whole project. 

I lost a fingertip myself once, though they were able to stitch it back on.