dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

AND, I'll bet you had to print out a form and mail a hardcopy to an address. Unfucking believable...

Rather than tits'n'bums I prefer watching this sort of thing.... I was led here by that LaVag waffle piece posted above...

Note... I have an MD17D with 'issues' around #1 injector.... 

8 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Rather than tits'n'bums I prefer watching this sort of thing.... I was led here by that LaVag waffle piece posted above...

Note... I have an MD17D with 'issues' around #1 injector.... 

Dunno - Malin in a bikini is pretty damn cute.....

Anyway, I've watched just about all of theirs except for the Carib ones which were just boring. Barry taking movies of hanging out in the same bars as the RAN couple and about 4 other vloggers - spare me.

I'm impressed by the amount of space he has to disassemble the engine in situ. Good design there.

FKT

That RAN guy is seriously hardcore. Go back a few years and you can see him in South Georgia . . . . . . . . . then he runs out of food.

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Dunno - Malin in a bikini is pretty damn cute.....

Anyway, I've watched just about all of theirs except for the Carib ones which were just boring. Barry taking movies of hanging out in the same bars as the RAN couple and about 4 other vloggers - spare me.

I'm impressed by the amount of space he has to disassemble the engine in situ. Good design there.

FKT

https://www.patreon.com/ransailing

https://graphtreon.com/creator/ransailing

On 4/10/2019 at 6:07 AM, dylan winter said:

https://www.patreon.com/acorntoarabella

800 patreons earning $4,500 per film/week

https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco

1800 patreons earning him $9,000 per week

Tits still blow old timbers out  of the water

so does anyone on here chip in towards either of these two wonderful projects

and

are you paying for the entertainment or for the wood?

Dylan

I've made contribution to all of the wooden yacht builders and just bought a Salt&Tar t-shirt. The only builder I support by Patreon is SV Tapatya.

I'm paying for both but mostly to help push the dream along. I think building wooden yachts is admirable way to spend you time.

-Hugh

Patreon takes 5% as a fee and they also charge around 4 to 5% as a "processing fee" and then you pay tax on the remainder. 

44 minutes ago, Zora said:

Patreon takes 5% as a fee and they also charge around 4 to 5% as a "processing fee" and then you pay tax on the remainder. 

A very nice man from Sockton - CA dropped a  dollar in the buskers cup -  I got 89cents

Another nice man from Norfolk dropped in £5  - I got £4.70

A very, very nice man from Freeport ME gave me $10 -  I got $9,35

I must say that as a 63 year old hack who earned a living in the days when people bought newsprint.....  riding the new economy has been an exciting  experience.

So many questions - so many unknowns.

Why only 0.4 per cent of the people who watch la vag become patrons (at 15 per cent)  and why 3 per cent of people  who watch my films occasionally (or regularly - godblessum) bung a few dollars in the 6 per cent paypal  buskers cup is a  mystery.

On balance, I preferred the days when the internet video was shitter than a DVD. People could only watch soupy crap on the computer.

I could take a hard drive to the local copy shop, pay them £1 a time to copy my films onto a nicely printed  DVD - and another £ for the insert and case, then I would buy some jiffy bags and a lot of stamps  

I could not compete with amason so the deal was they would see crappy 360 pixel versions and ask  for the dvds - I would post them on trust  - I told them not to send me any money until they arrived - US and Aussi customs were fekkers. I reckon DVds only stood a 70 per cent chance of getting through aussi customs.

I could get a £15 DVD with 4 hours of films on it delivered through a letter box anywhere in europe or USA for a cost to me of £5

I think the only people who defaulted on me were old blokes who had died - a large part of the KTL demographic is old sailors laid up recuperating from illnesses -

a proportion did not recover.

In those halcion days I reckon around 97 per cent of the people who watched the films paid me £2.50 an hour for the entertainment - and not presumably towards the cost of a pot of antifoul.

Now the world has turned upside down and 97 per cent of people who watch would never dream of chipping anything in.  The reasons have been spelled out in many posts in this long thread.

The best was a bloke several pages back who said he would never chip in for a film where the boat is bigger than his or the  wife is prettier than his.

This is the new economy!

Dylan - confused old hack

this is 4K - it looks okay on a $1000 TV -

• Like 3

@dylan winter Watched this one yesterday and enjoyed the heck out of it. Have I used my deposit already? Oh, and what on earth is a "twitcher"?
Jim

26 minutes ago, woahboy said:

@dylan winter Watched this one yesterday and enjoyed the heck out of it. Have I used my deposit already? Oh, and what on earth is a "twitcher"?
Jim

it is a bridwatcher

a twitch is  the action of quickly raising your binocs to your eyes upon spotting a bird

Dylan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

it is a bridwatcher

a twitch is  the action of quickly raising your binocs to your eyes upon spotting a bird

Dylan

If you happen to be accidentally holding a couple of bottles of beer instead, you could lose an eye. Birdwatching is dangerous stuff.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, woahboy said:

@dylan winter Oh, and what on earth is a "twitcher"?

Closely related to a "Tweaker" but different drugs are involved.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

If you happen to be accidentally holding a couple of bottles of beer instead, you could lose an eye. Birdwatching is dangerous stuff.

or a couple of marlin spikes... 

Dylan does the sort of sailing I aspire to. No big sailboats outside of my budget... no scantily clad babes that would likely scatter once they see the size of my budget... no nattering on about drama and themselves.

Instead, he provides gorgeous scenery with tales of the local history, a good bit of sailing and the associated narration, and just a good relaxing time. That's the sort of sailing I aspire to, something that's a helluva lot more likely to be achieved in my lifetime.

That's worth dipping into the entertainment budget and sending a bit his way every now and then. Better than watching cable TV anyhow...

And you have to love his accent.

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

it is a bridwatcher

Dylan

Or if a Cassowray is near by. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47924486

Accent doesn't hurt, can't lie. Adds to the entertainment, not to mention Dylan's way with words.  He could be talking about the most boring of topics, yet find a way to put words to it that grabs the attention and won't let go. Like Kyf singing about taking a piss:

I nominate Christian as the American Dylan. His whole channel is great but I think this is the quintessential Christian video.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, IStream said:

I nominate Christian as the American Dylan. His whole channel is great but I think this is the quintessential Christian video.

Yea, I love that guy.  He is someone i follow on youtube.  He has an Andy Rooney manor about the way he presents things.

7 hours ago, IStream said:

That's a good way to describe Christian.  He and Dylan and Tom Cunliffe (and a tiny handful of others) have been blessed with a narrator's voice. It's not just the accent, it's the tone, the inflection and the ability to spin a good yard. 

When these guys tell a story, I sit enraptured as a young child would upon hearing amazing sea stories of derring-do.  I really did enjoy Christian's "rant" about spring. It was true and amusing with a wonderful, philosophical bent to it.  Dylan and Tom are wonderful for the historical perspective that they bring when they tell their stories.

I've heard the sound of my own voice played back to me from a recording and it's absolutely hideous. No one would sit through a 5 minute video of me talking about anything, no matter how fascinating the topic and no matter how skillful my narration.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:44 PM, dylan winter said:

here is a $10,000 film from la vag - the most successful sailing film makers the world has ever seen

This happened in my home port. The map below shows approx where the boat was located in the pic above. I've got one of his anchors which he gave up because it got a slight bend in the shank during the salvage op. By all accounts the captain is a really nice guy.
After a couple of weeks of intentionally slow and careful progress, Sea Tow had the boat almost back in the water with basically no damage whatsoever. That was when a 100K ton tug captain hired to do the last bit of pulling gave it all his boat had and all at once, and according to friends who were there, when that happened it sounded like WWIII starting - and that's when the big damage happened. Sea Tow guy says it is a testament to the boat that it held up like it did until and even after then.

https://goo.gl/maps/5p1nrQ9b1zs

BTW, notice how "Sailing La Vag" is now titled "Boat Life"?

On 4/8/2019 at 1:49 PM, Zonker said:

Dylan,

It looks like you're just guessing how much they earn per episode. Patreon doesn't show it and the Graphtreon's best guess says "Best Guess: $4K - $23K".  That's a pretty big range.

Do you have any inside info?

* Graphtreon's Best Guess for unknown earnings is based on a creator's number of patrons, and the earnings of similar creators that do publish earnings information.

More specifically: it's calculated by taking the average earnings per patron in the same category, adding/subtracting the standard deviation from that average to get both extremes, and multiplying by the number of patrons. These estimated earnings are calculated solely by Graphtreon. No actual earnings data for such creators is provided or endorsed by Patreon.

FWIW, Patreon pages sometimes show how much the earner is making; I guess that's an option one can enable (or not?). I saw at some time several months back, perhaps even as long ago as soon after they got the cat, that the Vags Pat page was showing ~$10K per video. Shortly after I noticed that the stat had disappeared from their page.

13 minutes ago, CapnK said:

FWIW, Patreon pages sometimes show how much the earner is making; I guess that's an option one can enable (or not?). I saw at some time several months back, perhaps even as long ago as soon after they got the cat, that the Vags Pat page was showing north of $10K per video. Shortly after I noticed that the stat had disappeared from their page.

probably self realization of this story:  mid 80's a guy i went to high school with was a salesman for a big construction equipment company, he was doing well.  so he bought himself a Jag and proceeded to drive it to sales calls.  after a couple of nano seconds the owner said: "don't drive that car for work"....the subtext:  if the customers see you driving fancy they might start thinking about the price they are paying for the big gear.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, toddster said:

Re: middleman fees.  Having been grubbing around in sado-masochism self-employment and the “Gig Economy” more or less for 20 years, and having just (I hope) figured out last year’s taxes, I can tell you that the industry standard is basically about 5% off the top.  Although I haven’t dealt with Patreon or any of the out-right donation takers.  

Simmering outrage threatens to boil over every time I see one of those moronic “financial advice” columns telling consumers to shop around to find cards with the most “cash back” and similar crap.  Like it’s magic or something.  All that comes directly out of the merchant’s pocket, and they don’t get any choice in the matter.

The outrage was stoked but oddly de-focused by the receipt of “class-action” letters from two different shysters in the last month.  In one case, I am part of a class suing a fuel company that tried to charge a commensurate fee to customers using those particularly high-discount cards.  In the other, the class is suing MC and Visa over excessive fees.  I could get a few bucks back from both.  Either way, the shysters will walk away with millions.  (The proposed “settlement” amounts are not enough to significantly filter back to the actual “plaintiffs.”). 

I got an check in the mail several years back for being part of a Class Action against PayPal that I didn't even know I was a part of.

The check was for $0.01.

No shit.

26 minutes ago, chester said:

probably self realization of this story:  mid 80's a guy i went to high school with was a salesman for a big construction equipment company, he was doing well.  so he bought himself a Jag and proceeded to drive it to sales calls.  after a couple of nano seconds the owner said: "don't drive that car for work"....the subtext:  if the customers see you driving fancy they might start thinking about the price they are paying for the big gear.

This.

that was the reason I decided to stop paying for fast and furious 7 although I really enjoyed the first six films - great entertainment

But the heck  should I cough up when Mr Diesel drives a better car than me

32 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

that was the reason I decided to stop paying for fast and furious 7 although I really enjoyed the first six films - great entertainment

But the heck  should I cough up when Mr Diesel drives a better car than me

No need to cough up anything, it will eventually stream for free on Netflix or Prime. Paying for those is a personal problem for whoever owns the account you use.

2 hours ago, freewheelin said:

No need to cough up anything, it will eventually stream for free on Netflix or Prime. Paying for those is a personal problem for whoever owns the account you use.

it was an example - I have never watched any fast or furious films... perhaps I should

I understood that they were a series of extremely thoughtful films that were an homage  to the pride and prejudice

which I liked but did not have enough boats in it for my liking

Dylan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I understood that they were a series of extremely thoughtful films that were an homage  to the pride and prejudice

It's 'A homage' you posh git! (Give 'em a camera and all of a sudden they think they're  Francois friggin' Truffaut...)

37 minutes ago, seabell said:

It's 'A homage' you posh git! (Give 'em a camera and all of a sudden they think they're  Francois friggin' Truffaut...)

Hmmm...actually it's an homage, if you are pronouncing it in French (as it is a French word).  But if you are a Brit git, as opposed to an American git, you probably call it "a hhhhomage."  And you may pronounce the city of Lyon as "Lion."  :P

2 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Hmmm...actually it's an homage, if you are pronouncing it in French (as it is a French word).  But if you are a Brit git, as opposed to an American git, you probably call it "a hhhhomage."  And you may pronounce the city of Lyon as "Lion."  :P

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.x_NN2Zi64whsJjQeABwwbQHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1

I'm almost crying at the level of disconnect here. It's never going to end, is it? 

Every time I visit the States I get myself into uncomfortable situations by making the stupid assumption that Americans inherited the "founding fathers'" sense of humour.

Cue the inevitable 'history' lessons and righteous corrections...

13 hours ago, chester said:

Yeah, I show up for a business meeting in my 1991 minivan, at least the client knows I ain't skinning anybody....

4 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Yeah, I show up for a business meeting in my 1991 minivan, at least the client knows I ain't skinning anybody....

Two years ago - when I rinally ran out of money and hurriedly sold the boat in scotland - I got a $200 paypal tap from a boat builder in port townsend. I sent him a thank you email and asked why he sent me so much money.

He said that he had been happily "skimming" the films from my website and had them running in a loop in his kitchen in the mornings. He said it came as a tremendous shock to him when I sold the boat. He said that in his head I was an eccentric(correct) rich (incorrect) englishman (correct)  amatuer film maker(incorrect) who sailed shit boats(correct) because I thought it was cool (incorrect). 

He said that he had skimmed all 8 seasons and figured that he owed me $25 per sesaon.

At the same time a well known boat designer sent me $1

The world is an astonishing place.

Dylan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seabell said:

I'm almost crying at the level of disconnect here. It's never going to end, is it? 

Every time I visit the States I get myself into uncomfortable situations by making the stupid assumption that Americans inherited the "founding fathers'" sense of humour.

Since we're not worthy of your wit, maybe you could just go away. Then we'll all be happy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seabell said:

...the symbol :P indicates humor rather than a righteous correction.  Obviously there was a disconnect ;)

Thread course correction

What Sailor Girls Do In Paradise

On 4/16/2019 at 11:30 AM, dylan winter said:

it was an example - I have never watched any fast or furious films... perhaps I should

which I liked but did not have enough boats in it for my liking

Dylan

That's bullshit!

But it's very, very good bullshit...

The French call it an homage...

Firing a crotch fruit out of a baby cannon seems to be a trend.

1. Must be between the ages of 16-22. Remember, we will be seeing your passport

Sigh, divorced 46yr-old white men just get no love in the world these days.

9 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Firing a crotch fruit out of a baby cannon seems to be a trend...

Time for Breeyawn and Kazza to get real jobs and join the the rest of the world for a few years. Not saying you can't cruise with kids, but the first five years or so can be problematic for serious passage making. And if I was their patron, not sure I would want to be paying for the kind of pablum and poo video that LaVag is currently peddling.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:36 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

Sigh, divorced 46yr-old white men just get no love in the world these days.

I am sure they feel they have that market locked.

I get wanting young people (considering that is what the the 46 y/o divorced men probably want to see anyway). I am not sure why they want the liability of offering to minors though. On an ocean passage no less. Seems like a mess waiting to happen. But maybe that is what they are hoping for to become interesting again? 

I'm probably missing a sarcasm marker here somewhere, but I think there is the explicit assumption that a 46yr old man ought to darned well be able to arrange a passage for himself.  Or even a whole boat, if he wanted one.  16-22 is the normal age-range for "summer interns." 

I'm guessing that one teen on board would be relatively safe.  Now, two teens could be a whole boat-load of trouble.  

On 4/22/2019 at 11:33 AM, toddster said:

I'm probably missing a sarcasm marker here somewhere, but I think there is the explicit assumption that a 46yr old man ought to darned well be able to arrange a passage for himself.  Or even a whole boat, if he wanted one.  16-22 is the normal age-range for "summer interns." 

I'm guessing that one teen on board would be relatively safe.  Now, two teens could be a whole boat-load of trouble.  

Oh so its an intern they're looking for to do all the editing for them lol. From what i have heard they probably spend more time working at a computer than i do!

You guys have it all wrong and the solution is really simple.  All they are doing is playing the percentages. What are the odds of them recruiting a 46 year old guy with great tits ?

9 minutes ago, savoir said:

You guys have it all wrong and the solution is really simple.  All they are doing is playing the percentages. What are the odds of them recruiting a 46 year old guy with great tits ?

well, i don't know about GREAT tits....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chester said:

well, i don't know about GREAT tits....

^^^^ Talk to VWAP about that.

4 minutes ago, chester said:

do i have to?  :D

That depends, have you been a bad boy?

On 4/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, thereefgeek said:

Vasectomy: Mic drop...

That was at 23.

C'mon the "firing a crotch fruit out of a baby cannon" line has been one of my go to's for 20yr+

Birth control while cruising is one of those things that deserves more attention, getting snipped would seem to be the easiest & cheapest solution.  Frankly I am a strong proponent.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:33 PM, toddster said:

Well I suppose the "Support The Hookers & Blow Cruise On My Patreon" would gain zero traction.  Probably get demonetized on Youtube (BoobTube?)  before the upload was even completed.

• Like 1

Half way there frame wise whew what a task.

Not wanting to rain on Leo’s parade but would it not have been far more expedient for a young man to build a modern material version of a classic Albert Strange design rather than buying a full scale rotten model to replicate in its entirety.

Sure it is engaging to watch from the armchair but this project has many many moons to pass to reach a usable result.

Nothing new nor progressive regarding skills materials or processes just another male version of giving birth.

Albert was a bloody talented dude.

5EAB2225-8BC5-49A0-94E7-9843BC116185.jpeg.5273afa5b5e457aa47186faa92362797.jpeg

D3AF1FE6-E620-41AB-BD0C-FABE1809EB8E.jpeg.79e97ab08c31efb1b3e4eaf1c1bcf269.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Not wanting to rain on Leo’s parade but would it not have been far more expedient for a young man to build a modern material version

Jeesus,

Ya just don't get it do ya?

You really are fuXXwit.

Just binge watched parts one, two and three.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIPhNoMjsglg6QAgEYocQ8Q

Pretty old school, but these folks are the real thing, over a hundred videos in the series, covers a lot of practical boat stuff and cruising.

These three recent ones are really a narrative, but it’s a good yarn.

5 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Pretty old school, but these folks are the real thing, over a hundred videos in the series, covers a lot of practical boat stuff and cruising.

Yes, they are "the real thing" but a bit too much talking head stuff for my taste. There has to be a happy medium between the fluff of LaVag et al and the straight hard-core cruiser narrative. The Free Range Sailing couple strike that balance for me.

40 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Just binge watched parts one, two and three.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIPhNoMjsglg6QAgEYocQ8Q

they are old school - like the Pardeys and Hiscocks before them

running that video and film gear  on an old damp boat must have been a real challenge. Big, expensive, battery hungry, no hard drives, damp susceptable mikes.

Bloody goodonem

only 87 patrons (lavag 2,500)  though so posting the old films on you tube is barely worth doing.

They also knew the power of the bikini - and she did look good too

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

running that video and film gear  on an old damp boat must have been a real challenge. Big, expensive, battery hungry, no hard drives, damp susceptable mikes.

Bloody goodonem

only 87 patrons (lavag 2,500)  though so posting the old films on you tube is barely worth doing.

They also knew the power of the bikini - and she did look good great too

Beautiful woman.

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Bloody goodonem

They also knew the power of the bikini - and she did look good too

I really doubt the boat is damp - they built it and it's a steel hull. Steel boats are very rarely damp inside. Exceptions for people who put laid timber decks on, possibly.

And it was a new boat when they built it.

I agree they're pretty good. Also they talk to the camera too much for my liking.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I really doubt the boat is damp - they built it and it's a steel hull. Steel boats are very rarely damp inside. Exceptions for people who put laid timber decks on, possibly.

And it was a new boat when they built it.

I agree they're pretty good. Also they talk to the camera too much for my liking.

FKT

when it comes to old style cameras all boats are damp

the sea is a damp place

too many tiny wheels in video cameras that used tape

D

I suppose most of us have probably seen this one at one time or another.  Irving Johnson lugged a 1920's film camera to the top of those masts in storms in the Roaring 40's.  Occasionally a bootleg copy turns up on YouTube but quickly gets taken down.  I guess they want to sell some DVDs.  

around-cape-horn-dvd-1028517_45.jpg

Considering the time I spent downloading the KTL videos, renaming, sorting, transferring, and connecting up to the Roku on the living room TV... I miss DVDs, too. BluRay would be even better, less disks. The Roku doesn't handle many, short (as opposed to feature length films) videos well, making it awkward to access them.

Some day we'll figure it all out... We sure ain't there yet.

Standard fe DVD now looks peretty soapy

of course now the youtube material plays straight on the TV

- which is good.......

for google as they can get all the advertising revenue

the long tail has gone forever - unless you are google

Dylan

10 hours ago, savoir said:

Pigs are woodland species - they prefer places to snuffle among the trees

not really beach babes - the report says tht the pigs are getting ill because they have injested so much beach sand with the scraps that the sailors give them

However, to swim with pigs is obviously a dream come true for cat sailors around the world.

Now that we have nailed the swimming pigs thing I would like to see some patreon  films  films where a woman  in a bikini in a beach bar and eats  Italian flat bread covered with cheese and tomatoes while waiting for ber latest swimming pigs film to upload through the beach bar wifi.

I can promise that neither of those scenes will appear in any of my films

I am about to post the last of this winter's films from KTL on youtube - they have been up on my website for weeks now

I have found that I get excellent hits if I put a bikini babe on the thumbnail so I will do that - not for the sake of the old blokes who watch the films but merely for the miraculous impact they have on the hits because the Google perverted alogrythmn loves a bikinii

I am thinking of calling it

Naked Bikini Boat Babes.... Moray 8

any suggestions for wildlly innapropriate  images that will make  google's  grossley sex obsessed alogrythmn happy are gratefully accepted

Dylan

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

I have found that I get excellent hits if I put a bikini babe on the thumbnail so I will do that - not for the sake of the old blokes who watch the films but merely for the miraculous impact they have on the hits because the Google perverted alogrythmn loves a bikinii

I am thinking of calling it

Naked Bikini Boat Babes.... Moray 8

any suggestions for wildlly innapropriate  images that will make  google's  grossley sex obsessed alogrythmn happy are gratefully accepted..

VWAP seems to be the go-to guy for wildly inappropriate images around here... I dare say he'll (I assume VWAP's a he) be  able to "help"...

Cheers,

W.

I now realise that youtube will change the original thumbnail posted above

sorry about that

the film is currently running at around 100 views an hour...

which is rather depressing

Dylan

i was visiting the swimming pigs before it was cool...

now that they have cruise ship excursions landing on the beach of 5 different islands they've put pigs on I'd say its lost its charm.

the impact of tits on hits

I changed the thumbnail on my last film about scotland tto one wiith tits

this is what happened to my hits

tits-and-hits.jpg

so a 63 year old man spends time making a thumbnail that will tittilate a you tube algorithmn  and youtube rewards me with 100 views an hour - with a value to me of nuffink

this is one weird world

Dylan

this the thumbnail

• Like 3

7 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Spellcheck really didn’t want to go there...

what do yoou mean by that Olaf