dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

55 minutes ago, sculpin said:

Wow.  exterior cushions in "baby shit" brown.  That's some video, I could only take 2 minutes of monotone.

I thought the colour was cookielicious...

2 hours ago, olaf hart said:

I thought the colour was cookielicious...

You can lick them first.

It is the end of the northern hemisphhere winter. Like all  sailors the treadmill saiiling vloggers who churn out a film week in,  week out out  (goodonem ) are reduced to filming themselves fixing their boats.

This is  a man cutting a pipe  to length - although spoiler alert - he got another man to do it and did not  film it.

The RAN films are much, much better than most  - they do wear anoraks sometimes. Although they are in a boatyard at the moment

turning in a film every week when you are ashore with a brush in your hand  is tough

614 patrons - call it an average of $5 a pop....

Goodonen for their work ethic....both on the boat and on the films

....20 mins is quite long though.

Dylan

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

It is the end of the northern hemisphhere winter. Like all  sailors the treadmill saiiling vloggers who churn out a film week in,  week out out  (goodonem ) are reduced to filming themselves fixing their boats.

This is  a man cutting a pipe  to length - although spoiler alert - he got another man to do it and did not  film it.

The RAN films are much, much better than most  - they do wear anoraks sometimes. Although they are in a boatyard at the moment

turning in a film every week when you are ashore with a brush in your hand  is tough

614 patrons - call it an average of $5 a pop....

Goodonen for their work ethic....both on the boat and on the films

....20 mins is quite long though.

Dylan

This guy is quite competent, recently rebuilt the head on his old Volvo 2003 Turbo, an interesting twist on shade tree mechanics, but well done.

I have a problem with his judgement sometimes, the VP 2003 turbo is close to the most useless boat motor ever made, I should know because I have the third most useless engine, the non turbo 2003 and will toss it out in a heartbeat if it starts to play up.

the second most useless engine is the fresh water cooled 2003...

then he spends a fortune on a new bottom job at CSR,  would cost more than a new engine I suspect.

Now he gets a new mainsail with a shorter foot to try to help a helm problem, and throws out the extra bit of boom before he goes for a sail.

i have at least that much boom at the end of my sail and wouldn’t consider limiting my options like that.

Looks like Barry will have something up soon.  Apparently it takes a long time to upload a video at 9600 baud, where he currently is.

10 hours ago, olaf hart said:

This guy is quite competent, recently rebuilt the head on his old Volvo 2003 Turbo, an interesting twist on shade tree mechanics, but well done.

I have a problem with his judgement sometimes, the VP 2003 turbo is close to the most useless boat motor ever made, I should know because I have the third most useless engine, the non turbo 2003 and will toss it out in a heartbeat if it starts to play up.

the second most useless engine is the fresh water cooled 2003...

then he spends a fortune on a new bottom job at CSR,  would cost more than a new engine I suspect.

Now he gets a new mainsail with a shorter foot to try to help a helm problem, and throws out the extra bit of boom before he goes for a sail.

i have at least that much boom at the end of my sail and wouldn’t consider limiting my options like that.

Don't know about the engine, I'll take your word for their all-round uselessness. However, his appears to still run and he probably didn't drop too much coin into the overhaul by doing it himself, so.... probably a better choice than buying a new engine. If he can get a few more years out of it anyway.

As for the bottom job, in one of the videos he said they weren't allowed to do any of that work themselves.

I agree about cutting the boom. Other than aesthetics, what harm is an extra 600mm or so of boom sticking out going to actually do? Could always cut it later if it annoyed you.

Compared to most of the YouTube clowns the RAN Sailing couple are highly competent.

FKT

21 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Don't know about the engine, I'll take your word for their all-round uselessness. However, his appears to still run and he probably didn't drop too much coin into the overhaul by doing it himself, so.... probably a better choice than buying a new engine. If he can get a few more years out of it anyway.

As for the bottom job, in one of the videos he said they weren't allowed to do any of that work themselves.

I agree about cutting the boom. Other than aesthetics, what harm is an extra 600mm or so of boom sticking out going to actually do? Could always cut it later if it annoyed you.

Compared to most of the YouTube clowns the RAN Sailing couple are highly competent.

FKT

Few yards in the PNW let you do your own work, we were caught out with the Tartan in Shilshole, I thought I was going to do the work and ended up paying someone else to do it.

it was an interesting phone call to the yard.

Me ”I want to slip my boat and antifoul it”

Yard “ could you repeat that please sir”

after some to and fro we agreed that I wanted to haul the boat and paint it.

There are some yards further north and into BC that let you do your own work, but I suspect the RAN people were relieved they didn’t have to do this bottom job themselves.

CSR isn’t cheap, I suspect it cost a few boat units.

You will note I made no comments about Bukh...

They bought a lot of parts to do that head job, at Volvo parts prices I suspect it cost over two grand even doing all the work themselves.

did a nice job of replacing the copper injector sleeves, it was quite informative and the number of special tools needed confirmed my suspicion that it’s a job for the VP shop.

they seemed to get most of the VP bits from Europe as well....

29 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

There are some yards further north and into BC that let you do your own work, but I suspect the RAN people were relieved they didn’t have to do this bottom job themselves.

CSR isn’t cheap, I suspect it cost a few boat units.

You will note I made no comments about Bukh...

They bought a lot of parts to do that head job, at Volvo parts prices I suspect it cost over two grand even doing all the work themselves.

did a nice job of replacing the copper injector sleeves, it was quite informative and the number of special tools needed confirmed my suspicion that it’s a job for the VP shop.

they seemed to get most of the VP bits from Europe as well....

Looked like a shit of a job to get all the old paint etc off of that hull, if they had the money I'd reckon they'd be happy not to go the DIY route. Some things are worth paying for.

As for Bukh, time will tell. So far I'm getting 5-5.5 knots @ 1600 rpm and burning very close to 2 litres/hour. That's real numbers as I have a calibrated day tank and hour meter. The funny/annoying thing is, my *slowest* speed is 3-3.5 knots off of idle when I engage the transmission. Think I'll knock the idle speed down 100 rpm or so. Could reduce the prop pitch too but then I'd reduce my top speed. Maybe I didn't need a 22" prop. Stops the boat fast when you go into reverse though.

Now as to engine longevity - shrug. Who knows. Probably, in *my* hands, very good. It's a new engine and I plan on servicing it properly.

And yeah I was impressed by the job changing out those copper sleeves. I wouldn't have bought the special tools myself, I'd have made them. But I have a machine shop.

FKT

I can't believe the thumbnail with the cartoon boobs had such an effect on the clicks. That's crazy! Is that google prioritising what to show or just more people clicking on it?

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Looked like a shit of a job to get all the old paint etc off of that hull, if they had the money I'd reckon they'd be happy not to go the DIY route. Some things are worth paying for.

As for Bukh, time will tell. So far I'm getting 5-5.5 knots @ 1600 rpm and burning very close to 2 litres/hour. That's real numbers as I have a calibrated day tank and hour meter. The funny/annoying thing is, my *slowest* speed is 3-3.5 knots off of idle when I engage the transmission. Think I'll knock the idle speed down 100 rpm or so. Could reduce the prop pitch too but then I'd reduce my top speed. Maybe I didn't need a 22" prop. Stops the boat fast when you go into reverse though.

Now as to engine longevity - shrug. Who knows. Probably, in *my* hands, very good. It's a new engine and I plan on servicing it properly.

And yeah I was impressed by the job changing out those copper sleeves. I wouldn't have bought the special tools myself, I'd have made them. But I have a machine shop.

FKT

The Bukh will last forever with a careful owner, just have to find a way past those turkeys in Sydney for your parts...

Prop does sound a bit overpitched if you reach hull speed under 2000 rpm, have you tried it into a decent head sea yet?

2 hours ago, olaf hart said:

The Bukh will last forever with a careful owner, just have to find a way past those turkeys in Sydney for your parts...

Prop does sound a bit overpitched if you reach hull speed under 2000 rpm, have you tried it into a decent head sea yet?

I'm hoping it'll be a long time before I need any parts..... oil, fuel filters I've got covered, water pump impeller I can get locally. I installed a ton of instruments to tell me how things are going including an oil temp gauge.

Haven't tried bashing into any serious head seas yet. The hull cuts through the usual Channel chop in a westerly like it was flat water though. Hardly pitches at all. I cursed Tom a lot when I was welding up that compound curvature bow plating but it may well have been worth the aggravation.

As you know I only splashed the boat recently. Engine is coming to its 25 hour point where it gets a decent service and check on the head bolt torque. After that I'm not rev limited so we'll see what the 'reasonable' hull speed actually is. Once I've determined that I'll think about maybe adjusting the prop pitch.

I really, really wanted to fit a controllable pitch prop. In fact I have a Sabb 16 HP engine with CPP in my workshop and another CPP (PNP Duerr made in the UK, came off of a Perkins 4 cyl engine) sitting under a bench. If I'd been able to get my hands on a 30 HP model Sabb, I would have fitted it. Oh well. I'm still going to buy one if I ever see one for sale locally.

FKT

I'm hoping it'll be a long time before I need any parts..... oil, fuel filters I've got covered, water pump impeller I can get locally. I installed a ton of instruments to tell me how things are going including an oil temp gauge.

Haven't tried bashing into any serious head seas yet. The hull cuts through the usual Channel chop in a westerly like it was flat water though. Hardly pitches at all. I cursed Tom a lot when I was welding up that compound curvature bow plating but it may well have been worth the aggravation.

As you know I only splashed the boat recently. Engine is coming to its 25 hour point where it gets a decent service and check on the head bolt torque. After that I'm not rev limited so we'll see what the 'reasonable' hull speed actually is. Once I've determined that I'll think about maybe adjusting the prop pitch.

I really, really wanted to fit a controllable pitch prop. In fact I have a Sabb 16 HP engine with CPP in my workshop and another CPP (PNP Duerr made in the UK, came off of a Perkins 4 cyl engine) sitting under a bench. If I'd been able to get my hands on a 30 HP model Sabb, I would have fitted it. Oh well. I'm still going to buy one if I ever see one for sale locally.

FKT

Here you go, take off the VAT and you have just about paid the freight costs.

these guys send engines all over the globe

http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/

1 hour ago, olaf hart said:

Here you go, take off the VAT and you have just about paid the freight costs.

these guys send engines all over the globe

http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/

Wrong gearbox - that's the standard transmission not the CPP transmission. The whole thing needs to come as a package deal - you need the transmission, the thrust fitting/stern gland and the prop. This one doesn't even have the correct transmission.

Otherwise I might be tempted.... though I'd need my head read to even consider tearing out a brand new engine/transmission to fit something 30 years old. Reckon I could graft the Sabb transmission & CPP gear to my Bukh engine though. Now I've space I'm contemplating getting into metal casting anyway. If that nutcase Doug building SV Seeker can do it, I certainly can.

FKT

Which youtube channel are these people from?

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, nature and water

• Like 2

That'll fix itself when there's a +30 high tide in 2035. 

On 5/5/2019 at 5:36 AM, dylan winter said:

Another composting convert. 

I'll stick with using (fresh) water to move my shit around, thank you. I'm sure pissing in a bottle and letting your shit dry out before it's disposed of works just fine, but it doesn't have convenience going for it.

• Like 1

Incidentally

my film with the tacky thumbnail (see above)  designed solely to titilate the thumbnail  algorithm at youtube  has hit 4,250 hits in the first five days...

By comparison, the one without the breasts has done 1, 200 since Feb 1.

Here is the astonishing thing - the stats for people who watch the whole film are about the same for both films.

Have I cracked it?

or

Have I cracked?

Dylan

17 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Incidentally

my film with the tacky thumbnail (see above)  designed solely to titilate the thumbnail  algorithm at youtube  has hit 4,250 hits in the first five days...

By comparison, the one without the breasts has done 1, 200 since Feb 1.

Here is the astonishing thing - the stats for people who watch the whole film are about the same for both films.

Have I cracked it?

or

Have I cracked?

Dylan

So even though the thumbnail is not representative of the content of the video, people are sticking it through and watching the whole thing?  I'd say you might have cracked the algorithm.

9 minutes ago, Ajax said:

So even though the thumbnail is not representative of the content of the video, people are sticking it through and watching the whole thing?  I'd say you might have cracked the algorithm.

but are they hanging on in the hope that the thumbnail - against all the odds - will come true?

or are they real sailors who would watch the films to  the end but youtube never put the film in their feed because it did not like the thumbnails with boats and scenery in it?

The snag with the algorithms is that they  evolve all the time. What works this quarter will not work in the next.

the sailing mags did not put girls on the front cover and look what happened to them.

• Like 2

Yes, I also could not for the life of me figure out why RAN trimmed their boom, they didnt explain. 

Why in the world would you have a composting toilet on a boat?

38 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

Yes, I also could not for the life of me figure out why RAN trimmed their boom, they didnt explain. 

Why in the world would you have a composting toilet on a boat?

I have been thinking of a composting toilet for a while. Several of the folks online here have them.

No hoses/macerator/holding tank, gives you a lot of space back, and supposedly eliminates the odors.

• Like 1

I've always gotten the impression that Ish really knows his shit...

Sorry, you set yourself up and I just couldn't let it go. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I have been thinking of a composting toilet for a while. Several of the folks online here have them.

No hoses/macerator/holding tank, gives you a lot of space back, and supposedly eliminates the odors.

The bowl is ventilated to the outside, and a dry/drying shit doesn't smell that much anyway. You just have to accept keeping piss out of the bowl, even women, and be ok with moving the stuff around without using water.

30 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Done properly, they can work great, with little needed in the way of maintenance (must be ventilated, kept bug-free, and at a proper humidity - that's all). Bonus: Require no holes in boat. As to smell, the first year I tried it I had a girl aboard one Carolina Lowcountry summers day - nicely hot and humid. This was on a Pearson Ariel (25'6" LOA), a small enough boat that for the 2-3 hours she was aboard, she was sitting a couple feet at most from "the throne". At the time it had seen daily use for at least three weeks since the prior emptying.

Asked later, she told me she had not smelled a thing, and had no idea it was even there.

That was close to ten years ago. In the meanwhile, as the idea has gained acceptance and become discussed more often, I've noted that those who are the most vocal detractors of the idea, have mostly/usually not actually tried it themselves. It is super easy to make a testing setup and give it a try.

Interesting new entry to the genre... About 1/2 in she climbs, I had to watch again to make sure - nope, no ascenders, no safety line, no one hauling, she just shimmies on up hand over hand - to her spreaders to run a flag halyard... Carries all of her tools and such in her bra. She's got grit.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 10:02 AM, stumblingthunder said:

The Comedy Channel?

- Stumbling

On 5/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, IStream said:

That'll fix itself when there's a +30 high tide in 2035. 

Think that might have been the English on the French side, if so the tide will be back up shortly. 

I have a composter, for one/two crew it's great. No smell, no sewage leaks, no joker valve changing etc.

Disadvantages are you have to deal with the piss jug emptying and it can't really keep up with three or more regular crew.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone has posted this guys stuff....good attitude, decent boat,  good production values...

13 minutes ago, alctel said:

I have a composter, for one/two crew it's great. No smell, no sewage leaks, no joker valve changing etc.

Disadvantages are you have to deal with the piss jug emptying and it can't really keep up with three or more regular crew.

I can see that. Something akin to what the WWII bombers did might come in handy... :D

peetube.png

• Like 1

Today at lunch, Youtube told me to watch this one.  I think this unique boat has previously been "admired" on one of our threads?  But there is much more Mad Science in this thing than we previously realized.  And now happy new youtuber owners.  I especially like the combination dry exhaust pipe/mainsheet traveler!

Oh, and the world chart from which the USA has been surgically removed and replaced with more ocean... That's a lot of rock to put somewhere!  

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

I don't know if anyone has posted this guys stuff....good attitude, decent boat,  good production values...

Very good! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

Those of you living in first world countries have no idea what you are missing  Tropical fruit straight off the tree is  just sooooo good   The stuff at your local supermarket tastes nothing like it

• Like 1

Happy Friday

• Like 1

9 hours ago, savoir said:

Those of you living in first world countries have no idea what you are missing  Tropical fruit straight off the tree is  just sooooo good   The stuff at your local supermarket tastes nothing like it

I don't have tropical fruit but I do have a garden full of lettuce, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, and other goodies.  It's amazing how long the lettuce lasts when it hasn't been trucked across the country and sat on a loading dock for days.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, savoir said:

Yeah, no kidding. When I lived in Singapore, our house had garden that was at least 40 years old with rambutan, jackfruit, bananas and a coconut or two. Amazing fruit a couple times a year. In Taiwan I had papaya, bananas, passion fruit and wax apples. 

veg and ffruit tastes better if it has grown slowly - a home grown onion takes five months to get to harvest - a commercially grown one does the same thing in half the time.

Ditto chickens

that aside

Bassa is back

On 5/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, savoir said:

Not to mention sun that fries your brain and malaria.

I grow my own fruit and am just finishing breakfast toast spread with home-made apricot jam off of my own trees.

FKT

7 hours ago, savoir said:

Wow !  Talk about  junk on the trunk

And scum on the bum!

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

she's awesome

• Like 4

On 5/9/2019 at 4:22 PM, CapnK said:

Turns out she's the daughter of Dave and Jaja Martin. Hah! https://www.amazon.com/Into-Light-Familys-Epic-Journey/dp/1930086040

Interesting new entry to the genre... About 1/2 in she climbs, I had to watch again to make sure - nope, no ascenders, no safety line, no one hauling, she just shimmies on up hand over hand - to her spreaders to run a flag halyard... Carries all of her tools and such in her bra. She's got grit.

17 hours ago, dylan winter said:

she knows her stuff and has a fine sailing pedigree

goodonher

Dylan

Agreed. Excellent attitude and preparation, both boat and mental. A breath of fresh air for the genre. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Uma threatening to go sailing in a coldish place

I predict a drop in the revenue stream.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:11 PM, BrickTopHarry said:

Girl out of Maine refits a 27 ft Grinde for a solo circumnavigation (currently in the Carribbean).  The videos so far are pretty bare bones but she seems to have an idea of what she's doing:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJ3QXRI-whcqJBrW-z_htw/videos

https://windhippie.com/

That was nice, and I would gladly buy her a new corkscrew, but there was something that made me smile when I saw her casually pull out the vice grips while talking about opening the bottle of wine.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 11:11 PM, BrickTopHarry said:

Girl out of Maine refits a 27 ft Grinde for a solo circumnavigation (currently in the Carribbean).  The videos so far are pretty bare bones but she seems to have an idea of what she's doing:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJ3QXRI-whcqJBrW-z_htw/videos

https://windhippie.com/

I watched a couple to see what it's all about.

I totally agree that she's not like other clueless people, far from water who wake up suddenly one day and declare "I will buy a shit boat and sail around the world!"  Her whole prior life was spent sailing oceans.  Her choice of boat seems smart and interesting. She fixed it up, she has maintenance skills and she seems to possess the ability to think on her feet and improvise.  She seems to possess good seamanship even if she eschews things like harnesses, tethers and jacklines. She's skilled and tough.

Her videos aren't super high quality yet neither are they terrible. She makes good use of voice over so we don't spend too much time trying to dig her voice out of microphone wind noise.  Really, I have nothing negative or critical to say about her yet I don't find her videos compelling to watch and I probably won't watch any more of them. 

The best articulation I can come up with as to why,  is that her mannerisms and language are geared towards people her age or younger.  I am an old guy. Her blog is kind of the sailing equivalent of a teen lounging in her 4-post bed, pondering trite issues that people her age consider weighty in a meandering stream of consciousness.  Just replace the bed with a boat and replace dating and social issues with sailing stuff.

There's nothing wrong with her, I suppose.  I'm just not in her demographic.

• Like 1

Ok, first title screen-  "Sailing Loch Ness."  Interesting, might check it out.

Second title screen- STRANDED! CRITICAL ENGINE FAILURE!!! OMG!!!   No thanks, fuck off. Not interested in manufactured drama.  That shit totally turns me off.

Reminds me of "Sailing Nervous" where they posted a title screen about the boat sinking when it turned out that the exhaust hose had popped off the muffler. Big Fat Hairy Deal. Title screens like this are meant to entice masturbating, non-sailors in Omaha who watch "Real Housewives" style reality TV.

36 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Ok, first title screen-  "Sailing Loch Ness."  Interesting, might check it out.

Second title screen- STRANDED! CRITICAL ENGINE FAILURE!!! OMG!!!   No thanks, fuck off. Not interested in manufactured drama.  That shit totally turns me off.

Reminds me of "Sailing Nervous" where they posted a title screen about the boat sinking when it turned out that the exhaust hose had popped off the muffler. Big Fat Hairy Deal. Title screens like this are meant to entice masturbating, non-sailors in Omaha who watch "Real Housewives" style reality TV.

Yeah.  I'm hoping Holly Martin will aviod the whole thing of ridiculous dramatic video titles with giant font and multiple exclamation points and not get caught up in worrying about clicks.  I realized watching her videos that what's different is most of the other Youtube sailors would be making a super dramatic "TRAPPED IN 40 KNOTS GALE/ALMOST DIED" title when she's chilling out below in the dark talking to her audience about how she'll pop up in a while when things have calmed down, the benefit of having been there and done that, and not depending on clicks for money (so far).

2 hours ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Yeah.  I'm hoping Holly Martin will aviod the whole thing of ridiculous dramatic video titles with giant font and multiple exclamation points and not get caught up in worrying about clicks.  I realized watching her videos that what's different is most of the other Youtube sailors would be making a super dramatic "TRAPPED IN 40 KNOTS GALE/ALMOST DIED" title when she's chilling out below in the dark talking to her audience about how she'll pop up in a while when things have calmed down, the benefit of having been there and done that, and not depending on clicks for money (so far).

It was just a broken starter motor - which they sourced in inverness and then got another sailor to fit it for them.

As for Holly - the patreon hit will come... it has to.

The only people who can afford to make sailing films for love/ego are Patrick Laine and Webb Charles -

this is the way of the world because as we all know running a boat is expensive... making films is time consuming

and expensive.

So enjoy Holly while you can.

Dylan

18 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

The only people who can afford to make sailing films for love/ego are Patrick Laine and Webb Charles -

this is the way of the world because as we all know running a boat is expensive... making films is time consuming

Dylan

Mmmm...not necessarily.

I was recently approached by a sailing friend about 2 or 3 of us partnering up to make videos of sailing on the Chesapeake.  The goal is not to make money. In fact, there is no discussion of opening up any kind of revenue stream or even having a Paypal account. The idea is that the three of us will continue to work our shitty, shitty, unfulfilling day jobs and record piles of footage and then edit the fuck out of it and present it for free.

Lord knows we'd have plenty of time to edit during the winter. :rolleyes: 

I haven't fully bought into this idea. First, I don't think I want my face or body in any kind of regular series that people might watch. Second, I've already stated that my voice is absolutely horrible and useless for narration.  I want to be the sailing equivalent of "Wilson" from Tim Allen's "Home Improvement" sitcom (rarely seen or heard). Lastly, with no tits, I doubt anyone would bother to watch...which kind of negates concerns #1 and #2. :lol:

The format or theme would be sort of a riff on KTL because we have a lot of history to share and diverse sailing venues. We'd cover everything from dinghy sailing in creeks to keel boat racing to caravan cruising and cover the history of the regions and towns that we find ourselves in. One of the purposes of the videos would be to demonstrate that there are many enjoyable types of sailing and sailing venues and that "sailing" is not as far out of regular folks' reach as they might think.

We (the three or four of us) would not necessarily be sailing in the same waters at the same time or sailing together all the time...which is kind of the point. One week, we release a video of one guy sailing in his location on his type of boat, then the next week, we jump to another guy in a different location doing a different type of sailing but we find a way to tie us all together as sailing buddies. There will be "joint venture" videos where we collide for a race or a cruise or something.

We haven't delved very deeply into this. It was mainly a single evening conversation with way too much beer, rum and optimism. Way too much optimism...but the point is, 3 or 4 working guys sharing the load, might be able to make sailing films for love.

• Like 1

I would love to see a good series about the Chesapeake

Three blokes in a mobo made three films but then lost interest - they were really rather good. Gone now from youtube.

You rightly point out the disincentives that exist - shyness, embarrassment, wanting to live in the moment rather than constantly waving a camera around

and thinking about sound and making the sequences go together.

Then four sailors working together - agreeing on what shots to put in - what to leave out

might is the operative word...

Holly, for instance, has put a lot of hours into editing those films.... they are well structured.. she has some good things to say, she knows how to tell a story.

I think one might do it for three or four films...but sustaining a series or a narrative takes a lot of effort -

there are some dead keen film makers out there - many of the sailing series are posting their 100th episode - week in week out

they are amazing people.

I think that love might get you to make five films - making 20 is a real challenge

goodonem

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

and expensive.

Rubbish. I could easily afford both the time and money, as could my friends on their boat.

We simply have absolutely no interest in doing such a thing.

FKT

I apologise - I worded it badly

when I said afford I really meant be bothered to afford the time

most of the serious vloggers need the money to keep going and would not bother making films unless there was a financial imperitive. Patrick and Webb do it for the ego rather than the money

Dylan

PS - you do seem to be most interested in a thread dedicated to a subject in which you repeatedly profess to be completely disinterested and also, in some measure, despise

6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I would love to see a good series about the Chesapeake

Three blokes in a mobo made three films but then lost interest - they were really rather good. Gone now from youtube.

You rightly point out the disincentives that exist - shyness, embarrassment, wanting to live in the moment rather than constantly waving a camera around

and thinking about sound and making the sequences go together.

Then four sailors working together - agreeing on what shots to put in - what to leave out

might is the operative word...

Holly, for instance, has put a lot of hours into editing those films.... they are well structured.. she has some good things to say, she knows how to tell a story.

I think one might do it for three or four films...but sustaining a series or a narrative takes a lot of effort -

there are some dead keen film makers out there - many of the sailing series are posting their 100th episode - week in week out

they are amazing people.

I think that love might get you to make five films - making 20 is a real challenge

goodonem

You may well be right about our staying power. I also make no promises of "on schedule releases."  Videos will be posted when they're ready...whenever that is.  I'm not saying it'll be a whipsaw of short delays and month-long delays, I'm just saying that it probably won't be every Wednesday night like clockwork. 

You made a good point, though.

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

PS - you do seem to be most interested in a thread dedicated to a subject in which you repeatedly profess to be completely disinterested and also, in some measure, despise

Not sure where you get that impression from. There are a number of YouTube content creators who I watch regularly. As for despising them - no. Bemused at their naivete, yeah, thinking that it's not a viable way for the 99%, sure. Even you, whose content is really first class and extremely well presented, have difficulty making a quid from it. Reminds me I should sling a few more dollars your way as I've been watching some of your latest offerings on YouTube - lack of bandwidth for the really high def stuff.

David Brin wrote a book titled 'Earth' maybe 2 decades ago where he, in passing, extrapolated the then early trend of ripping off content created by others, with the destruction of the big music & film producers. This is just being played out on YouTube.

I'm quite sympathetic to your position on Google ripping all you lot off, though.

FKT

PS: The word I'm sure you meant to use was 'uninterested' which has quite a different meaning to 'disinterested'. A judge, for example, should be disinterested but definitely not uninterested. OTOH I *am* disinterested as I've nothing vested pro or con in making videos and relying on donations from the consuming public.

Not sure where you get that impression from. There are a number of YouTube content creators who I watch regularly. As for despising them - no. Bemused at their naivete, yeah, thinking that it's not a viable way for the 99%, sure. Even you, whose content is really first class and extremely well presented, have difficulty making a quid from it. Reminds me I should sling a few more dollars your way as I've been watching some of your latest offerings on YouTube - lack of bandwidth for the really high def stuff.

David Brin wrote a book titled 'Earth' maybe 2 decades ago where he, in passing, extrapolated the then early trend of ripping off content created by others, with the destruction of the big music & film producers. This is just being played out on YouTube.

I'm quite sympathetic to your position on Google ripping all you lot off, though.

FKT

PS: The word I'm sure you meant to use was 'uninterested' which has quite a different meaning to 'disinterested'. A judge, for example, should be disinterested but definitely not uninterested. OTOH I *am* disinterested as I've nothing vested pro or con in making videos and relying on donations from the consuming public.

wrong word again

apologies for that.

Now that I am on the probable end game of my project and have no boat to support nor marina fees to pay nor petrol for driving the car to scotland my finances are now back on an even keel.

So I am going to put  all the films that do not belong to google (the ones without music that I have been posting over the past two winters and this coming winter ) behind a paywall.  I will also start working backwards through the films removing the music and re-audio mixing them.

It will not be much of a paywall - tap in $1 and you get the link to the page with the whole film in high definition - average length 15 mins. I will remove all but a few annoyingly low res versions on youtbe. It will make watching them a bit of a pain on a big smart telly but teenagers can  tell you how to "flick" a film from the laptop or phone to the telly.

It is now fairly simple to to do.  There is a tool that allows a payment and it will send you a link to a page with the full version of the film on it.  The link can be passed onto other sailors - but that would be okay with me and an act of kindness.

So, if any of you want to keep the films now is the time to "harvest " them from the website and squirrel them away on a hard drive some-where

Paypal will eat about 35 cents of each $1  transaction - but that will not matter to the viewer.

At the moment around 6,000 of my films are being viewed each week - all for free.  I am assuming that will fall dramatically

It will be fascinating to see how many films get viewed each week if they cost $1 a time.  There is a bloke who runs a canal cruising series this way. He tells me he is earning around $100 a week - even though he is almost invisible on youtube.

whatever happens.. come 2023 the pension will kick in  I will be in a position to buy one of these

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1754750/

- then I will become uninterested in making films

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

Paypal will eat about 35 cents of each $1  transaction - but that will not matter to the viewer.

[snip]

- then I will become uninterested in making films

OK I just paid for a few more films than I've actually watched - put it towards the next boat. Didn't realise PayPal took that big a bite. That's pretty disgusting.

I'm surprised that a person with your extensive experience thought that making those films would be a paying proposition. When I first saw some of yours I thought it was just a vanity project as so many others out there are.

The Patreon thing leaves me cold though. If someone wants to go sailing, more power to them. If they want to make movies and post them online, ditto. Expecting me to subscribe is a bit too much like buying into a reality TV show for my taste.

FKT

On 5/17/2019 at 8:17 PM, dylan winter said:

It's nice to see clued up people!

On 5/18/2019 at 4:22 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'm surprised that a person with your extensive experience thought that making those films would be a paying proposition. When I first saw some of yours I thought it was just a vanity project as so many others out there are.

And I'm surprised that people tolerate you being the self-appointed grand poobah of metalwork, with your apparent lack of social skills.

Spend the next 5 days saying nothing but nice things to people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

And I'm surprised that people tolerate you being the self-appointed grand poobah of metalwork, with your apparent lack of social skills.

It's not actually a high bar here; on boatdesign.net there are far more skilled people. If you're feeling hurt about comments I made in another thread, shrug. I get a bit tired of the mocking of other peoples' work by people who haven't demonstrated in any way that they could actually do as well themselves.

I'm happy to acknowledge others as people with superior skills. Steve of PANOPE for example is a lot better with aluminium than I am. Fact is the vast majority here look down on and mock metal boats.

I must say that the build of my own boat went precisely to my expectation. It ended up over 2X the time estimate and 1.5X the initial budget estimate. Got to pay your dues, something that seems to escape you guys who just buy a used plastic boat and never consider such things.

As for the boating vloggers, nobody is making them do it and nobody promised them rewards for doing it. If they want to provide entertainment in the hope of payment, fine. If they stop, will people notice sufficiently to decide to pay? It's a fascinating experiment playing out. Participatory reality adventure in some cases; pay enough money and you too (if you're young, attractive and preferably female) can get a cameo role on a sailing vlog. Just because I find it entertaining doesn't obligate me to actually give them money.

FKT

12 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Ha! Have you seen his username? I mean... if I put together a list of folk who I figured were gonna be nice to other folk, FKT is gonna be somewhere near the bottom. If he's not outright trolling posters, then I expect him to put his opinion out there, whether or not it's nice.

Corollary to that: I don't give a shit about his feelings, neither. :D

Back on topic: If I ever manage to come into more money than I have brains and know what to do with, I've a select list of folk who are gonna get a windfall so they can go do what they enjoy doing. They're the salt of this earth, and deserve a good turn. Some of them have Patreon/Paypal accounts, other require might a knock on their door. It'll keep me from staying rich, and I ain't never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch, so I may as well pass it on before I do the same.

Another corollary: FTK hasn't made it on that list either... not yet, at least ;).

Haven't watched it but this popped up for me in youtube. She know how to write a title. Maybe she is talking about the blue footed kind? Cannot be bothered watching to find out.

Funnily enough I don't watch these (i only come to this thread to read your amusing comments).

this about alogrithmns

it is a man with a clip-board but it explains how it works and why channels rise and fall and why videos are often 15 minutes long

• Like 2

Well... that was certainly interesting. I found the "pigeon in a cage" analogy fairly apt. The video also explains why Dylan will ultimately fail. Youtube slowly buries his videos and "disconnects" his subcribers and Dylan isn't willing to engage in "deceptive advertising" with false promises of tits and titles to entice people to watch his videos.

I have observed that things I like to watch stop popping up and that I have to actively search for them, so the guy isn't wrong. I wonder how many people actually go to the effort to search for stuff that they like to watch regularly and how many people just shrug and figure that the creator has "gone off the air" so to speak, and give up on them?

That was an interesting video but I think it's only marginally relevant to most sailing channels. I don't think any sailing channel has gone viral by mainstream standards and having a core group of supporters is what keeps them going. Sail Life has under 600 Patreon supporters and less than 60k subscribers and recently mentioned that he could soon be quitting his day job to work on the boat full time. 

I think grabbing hold of the 'long tail' is much more relevant than outright popularity for being successful.

Using the :notification bell" feature on youtube should stop you from missing videos. I also go to my subscription feed regularly to see if I'm missing anything good.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Well... that was certainly interesting. I found the "pigeon in a cage" analogy fairly apt. The video also explains why Dylan will ultimately fail. Youtube slowly buries his videos and "disconnects" his subcribers and Dylan isn't willing to engage in "deceptive advertising" with false promises of tits and titles to entice people to watch his videos.

I have observed that things I like to watch stop popping up and that I have to actively search for them, so the guy isn't wrong. I wonder how many people actually go to the effort to search for stuff that they like to watch regularly and how many people just shrug and figure that the creator has "gone off the air" so to speak, and give up on them?

This is interesting.  For myself, I've never allowed Youtube or any online platform to 'broadcast' to me.  I pick what I want to watch and I watch it when I want to, on my schedule, that's the majority of the attraction to the platform for me.   I subscribe to channels I find interesting and I go to their channel page and watch things when they post it. I NEVER let videos follow-on or play-more or watch the next 'suggested' video, but I seem to be a bit of an outlier.

Disconnecting from 'broadcast' media has changed the entire mindset. DVR recordings of sat/cable TV was close, but the content was still far too controlled.  Youtube and other platforms still want to retain the power of who gets watched and who is favored, for their own benefit, whether that is financial or other less savory benefits.  By controlling what people are watching they wield tremendous power over both the creators and the audience.

If Youtube took away the ability to go directly to a creator's page and see their list of videos, I'd log off and not go back.

• Like 4

Unless I've missed something they've happily dodged the sticky discussions of breastfeeding/vaccinations/nappies on a boat.

Hell the Kardashians could learn a thing or two about using social media from this family.

2 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Unless I've missed something they've happily dodged the sticky discussions of breastfeeding/vaccinations/nappies on a boat.

Hell the Kardashians could learn a thing or two about using social media from this family.

I would be very happy in that toddler's position too.