dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

At least with all the cameras, there will be a clear record of what happened to him when they find his boat adrift and unmanned.

22 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

And people will say that at least he died doing what he loved.

Yeah right, wildly flailing around in cold water, your lungs slowly flooding and panic seizing you as your boat sails away, obliviously. What's not to love.

chances are the camera would not be running - I am sure that he sets it up, does something and then puts it back in the box

the slips come late at night, of falling in the water when getting from the mothership into the dinghy - which isprobably the most dangerous things we ever do

Goodonim...

he is apparently earning about $600 a film

so given his costs and his good gear he is still making a loss on the venture

Dylan

2 minutes ago, monsoon said:

My grandfather had a saying, " Some days you eat the bear, some days..."   Before that movie I never took him literally.

After this movie, I thought "bear" might be "bar".

I keep checking this thread, hoping for hot girl/hot place...:unsure:

another one bites the dust

7 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Oh Jeez - homely chick with cat eye glasses and a regrettable sleeve tattoo. 

Buddy, if you own the boat, go get yourself a better-looking crew. Hell, get three of 'em, lighten up and have some fun for a change!

Wait...he's already fucking up...getting a FB male friend of the series from Oklahoma to help on the boat. WTF???

35 minutes ago, dacapo said:

If you can’t even make the bed in the background ...

• Like 1

Just watched a few youtube videos of the Isle of Man TT races. The racers keep saying the same thing "well at least he died doing something he loved". 

I'd rather live doing something I love.

• Like 1

Irish road racing is even more crazy than the TT. It’s a series. 

Here’s a very captivating and yet quite sad example of doing what you love until it kills you. 

You’re a better man than I am Gunga-din. 

• Like 2

this one is learning fast about thumbnails

foredeck, blue water, bikini... iimplied nakedness

goodoner because she shinned up a  mast sans safety rope

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

PS

the main part of the film is about fixing a sea toilet - presumably the one that empties into the lovely warm clear water she is about to jump into...

PPS - I also own a sea toilet - let he is without sin.... and planks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_7:5

I skipped ahead to the toilet parts with the sound off. She has two 90 degree elbows on her pump which significantly impacts its efficiency. Well, at least she's only dealing with her own shit and not crew or life partner's.

20 hours ago, Zonker said:

Just watched a few youtube videos of the Isle of Man TT races. The racers keep saying the same thing "well at least he died doing something he loved". 

Speaking of TT racers dying doing what they love:

https://us.motorsport.com/roadracing/news/daley-mathison-isle-of-man-tt-death/4426959/

Most of the practice sessions this year were cancelled due to weather. Hope that doesn't contribute to more of this. 

I just don't get the motorbike thing. I've ridden quite a bit, sometimes fast, my pushbike but that's as much risk I am willing to take on 2 wheels.

THIS is a TT bike. Safer, provides healthy exercise. Can be subject to addictive behavior as in other endurance sports (and boating)

Image result for tt bike

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

I just don't get the motorbike thing. I've ridden quite a bit, sometimes fast, my pushbike but that's as much risk I am willing to take on 2 wheels.

Same.   I rode a bit, but not enough in my youth to inoculate me from having a sense of caution for speed.   So much in the environment is out of the rider's control, that often leads to a cascade of events that result in necrosis by excessive deceleration.

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

THIS is a TT bike. Safer, provides healthy exercise. Can be subject to addictive behavior as in other endurance sports (and boating)

Image result for tt bike

Lotsa black bits      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

53 minutes ago, savoir said:

Lotsa black bits      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yah - that's not mine...got one similar but it's a chinese frame that I built up meself. As much fun as it's given me in 5 years, it owes nothing now.

5 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Same.   I rode a bit, but not enough in my youth to inoculate me from having a sense of caution for speed.   So much in the environment is out of the rider's control, that often leads to a cascade of events that result in necrosis by excessive deceleration.

Second hospital visit from impact with a car driver who needed a seeing eye dog in control of his vehicle led to a lifetime abandonment of motor cycles. They were a lot of fun to ride, but broken bones aren't.

40+ years later and some of my joints are reminding me of the follies of my youth, especially when it gets cold. One reason for spending winters somewhere warmer nowadays.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Second hospital visit from impact with a car driver who needed a seeing eye dog in control of his vehicle led to a lifetime abandonment of motor cycles. They were a lot of fun to ride, but broken bones aren't.

40+ years later and some of my joints are reminding me of the follies of my youth, especially when it gets cold. One reason for spending winters somewhere warmer nowadays.

FKT

Bikes are dangerous enough even without other people on the road complicating matters. My wife and I are both avid riders but as we've grown older and more aware of our mortality we have shifted to riding more on the track now than the road. The speeds are higher, but the variables are greatly reduced. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lake Schooner said:

Bikes are dangerous enough even without other people on the road complicating matters. My wife and I are both avid riders but as we've grown older and more aware of our mortality we have shifted to riding more on the track now than the road. The speeds are higher, but the variables are greatly reduced. 

You're very unlikely to run into oncoming traffic on the track so closing speeds are much less. Plus the bonus of not having some drunk in a pickup truck deciding to get cute.

• Like 1

I met a former MAMIL on the hard the other day- he was launching his dinghy.. He told me that he had given up his road bike after a  terriblle accident involving a  driver taking an unexpected left turn.  He cursed the driver roundly. I asked the biker how fast the driver was going - about ten miles an hour he said. How fast were youi going - about 25 miles an hour was his answer.

He said he misses the speed and the £4,000 bike

Dylan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

I met a former MAMIL on the hard the other day- he was launching his dinghy.. He told me that he had given up his road bike after a  terriblle accident involving a  driver taking an unexpected left turn.  He cursed the driver roundly. I asked the biker how fast the driver was going - about ten miles an hour he said. How fast were youi going - about 25 miles an hour was his answer.

Dylan

Probably a member of the elk who rides at those speeds on shared walking/biking trails while self-righteously cursing car drivers for their dangerous behaviour.

Met a few around my Sydney place as there's lots of trails along the river front.

FKT

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

on shared walking/biking trails

haha, not in England, there would have to be shared paths to start with.

10 minutes ago, N1772 said:

haha, not in England, there would have to be shared paths to start with.

A bridle path, also bridleway, equestrian trail, horse riding path, ride, bridle road, or horse trail, is a path, trail or a thoroughfare that is used by people riding on horses. Trails originally created for use by horses often now serve a wider range of users, including equestrians, hikers,[1] and cyclists. Such paths are either impassable for motorized vehicles, or vehicles are banned. The laws relating to allowable uses vary from country to country.[2][3]

In industrialized countries, bridle paths are now primarily used for recreation. However, they are still important transportation routes in other areas. For example, they are the main method of traveling to mountain villages in Lesotho.[4] However, In England and Wales a bridle path now refers to a route which can be legally used by horse riders in addition to walkers, and since 1968, by cyclists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridle_path

19 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Image result for tt bike

I was recently coerced into signing up for some triathlons.  In order to try to fit in with the triathlon crowd, I bought a bike with more aggressive geometry and clip-on aerobars.  I was surprised to find that the position was actually more comfortable than a regular road bike with drop bars.  Placing weight on the elbow pads while using the aerobars reduces the weight on the saddle, so the rider is less likely to get saddle sore.  The difference in speed due to the more aerodynamic position is noticeable.  The disadvantages are that 1) you have to bend your neck further to look forward, and 2) your hands are well away from the brake levers.  Aerobars are definitely not recommended for group rides.  I have friends who have switched from drop-bar road bikes to straight-bar hybrid bikes.  They still complain about getting saddle sore.  Sitting more upright does not seem to be the solution.

• Like 1

If you have a hybrid bike then a suspension seat post is a wonderful thing for preventing a sore butt.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:47 PM, Zonker said:

On 6/4/2019 at 1:23 PM, Panoramix said:

Because it is magnificent to go fast.  Fast is relative, paddling a canoe at 10mph over 10 miles is magnificently fast, 20 knots on a sailboat is magnificently fast.  I have managed 80km/h on a pushbike, once, downhill, that was magnificently fast.  I have been a passenger on a powerboat that hit 80mph, that felt magnificently fast.

Riding the full Mountain Course and getting a Bronze medal finish is magnificently fast.  The question is not "Do you have a deathwish?", it is "Do you need to go magnificently fast or do you want to grow old dreaming about the occasions you might have gone magnificently fast?"

Al Jazeera of all places nailed it fairly well.

• Like 1

And well since we're drifting more than a bareboat charter boat with a fouled anchor...I don't think this couple dipping their toes into the Youtube creator community planned on it, or even exceeded 5mph.  But what they are doing is almost as dangerous.  And you guys thought getting your wives to use the head for the weekend was rough.

1 hour ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

And well since we're drifting more than a bareboat charter boat with a fouled anchor...I don't think this couple dipping their toes into the Youtube creator community planned on it, or even exceeded 5mph.  But what they are doing is almost as dangerous.  And you guys thought getting your wives to use the head for the weekend was rough.

apart from the fishing... that was very good

fishing is really rather dull stuff to watch on videp

32 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

apart from the fishing... that was very good

fishing is really rather dull stuff to watch on videp

If we weren't supposed to eat fish, why do they taste so good?  (the two fish they let go were prime eating too, I was quietly screaming 'Noooooo!' as they let them go.  Certainly better for you and less carbon footprint than the bread they did eat)

And hypothermia in backcountry canoeing is no joke.  This couple were threading a very thin line, and being cognizant while they were doing it.  I ride motorcycles, occasionally I ride motorcycles at track days.  I also have been backcountry canoeing since before I was able to have a motorcycle license.

I can see a direct line connecting racing motorcycles at the Isle of Man TT, and very early Spring rough camping out of a canoe.  The main differences are one is just very much slower, and immediate medical help is very much closer.  Death is still a very real possibly for both.  VOR sailors would lie somewhere in the middle, one bad late night jibe away from a boom to the back of the head at 25kts in the Southern Ocean.

Until then we can talk about breastfeeding with breast implants or the ecological effects of bottom paint.

• Like 1

11 knots on a sailboat only meant to go 7 knots is careeningly, magnificently fast.

Yeah, I know some current was involved but feeling a wave get under your stern and shove the bow into the wave in front of you while watching the SOG ratchet up crazy. So is watching the water fall away from the beam because you're digging a wave so deep that the boat is only supported at the bow and stern.  Summed up in the song "Anne Louise:"

Oh there's nothing quite like pitching
Along at dangerous speeds
With my hand on the tiller
Of my sky blue westerly...

10 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

The question is not "Do you have a deathwish?", it is "Do you need to go magnificently fast or do you want to grow old dreaming about the occasions you might have gone magnificently fast?"

Spoken like many of us here back when we were younger.  I call bullshit on that now.  Live to play another day. Glad I'm here to enjoy life today, because while I have great memories of things I did decades ago, there are absolutely zero thrill experiences that I regret not having. (other than a particular girl in middle school.:D)

30 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@dylan winter I had to look up MAMIL. Hilarious.

I sometimes follow them while out on my ebike

they look around to see n old bloke with a basket on his bike 50 yards behind them

two minutes later I am still there

They speed up a little, look back, and still I am there

I love my ebike

Dylan

• Like 1

they look around to see n old bloke with a basket on his bike 50 yards behind them

two minutes later I am still there

They speed up a little, look back, and still I am there

I love the Tyler Hamilton story about having two millennial cyclists go by him wearing Doping Sucks jerseys. He turned his beach cruiser around, cranked it up over 30 and as he passed them said "Hi, I'm Ty Hamilton, ex-doper."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I love the Tyler Hamilton story about having two millennial cyclists go by him wearing Doping Sucks jerseys. He turned his beach cruiser around, cranked it up over 30 and as he passed them said "Hi, I'm Ty Hamilton, ex-doper."

ex?

11 hours ago, monsoon said:

ex?

He was pretty open about his path after his doping confession.  He also had the guts (albeit after-the-fact) to expose Lance for what he was.  Armstrong was the Trump of cycling - lie, lie lie bully bully bully to build his empire.  Without Hamilton's testimony, Lance might have never been held to account.

No reason to believe that today he's a 48-y-o doping non-rider.

23 hours ago, Ajax said:

@dylan winter I had to look up MAMIL. Hilarious.

MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra)?  How about an OGIL (Old Guy In Lycra)?

I've been trying to decide on an outfit for my next triathlon.  Perhaps the members of this forum might have an opinion.

50902584_10161312453330254_3418826854180585472_n.jpg

51231902_10161312453400254_1873674925919698944_n.jpg

56679437_10161568015360254_7991119952260104192_n.jpg

this thread has officially jumped the shark ;-)

18 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

My advice to you:

Free weights.  Lots of 'em.

This is the reigning Ironman triathlon champion.  Working out with weights doesn't help in this sport.  Professional cyclists look even wimpier.

patrick_lange.jpg

9 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

Sorry,

I thought you were competing as a jockey.

Also, doesn't your CNN broadcast go live soon, Mr. Cooper?

Anderson Cooper would probably do reasonably well as either an age-group triathlete or cyclist.  

The podium at the Tour de France.  These guys don't do a lot of weight lifting.

tour_de_france_podium.jpg

2 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra)?  How about an OGIL (Old Guy In Lycra)?

I've been trying to decide on an outfit for my next triathlon.  Perhaps the members of this forum might have an opinion.

50902584_10161312453330254_3418826854180585472_n.jpg

51231902_10161312453400254_1873674925919698944_n.jpg

56679437_10161568015360254_7991119952260104192_n.jpg

My advice is to upgrade your phone.

19 minutes ago, IStream said:

Yeah, and clean the toy room.

52 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

The podium at the Tour de France.  These guys don't do a lot of weight lifting.

tour_de_france_podium.jpg

Well... they do do a lot of weight lifting. Just not for bulk. 

And you want the middle option. Sleeves and tight is the fastest option. 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:05 AM, dylan winter said:

Dylan

Of all the things that I have done that could be considered thrilling, sharing the road with automobiles on a bicycle brought me more unexpected sphincter tightening moments (as opposed to a "code brown" moment).   I have been punted four times by cars, once by one driven by a distracted mother, and all the rest were pensioners who were trying to back road to the stores without getting on a main thoroughfare.   Those three rolled through stop signs without looking.   Been very lucky to not have more than spectacularly colorful large bruises, embedded asphalt aggregate in the hide and bikes turned into misshapen metallic components.

I still ride and expect to be bank shot again in the future, but do my best to anticipate the lack of awareness of others.

- Stumbling

FUCK YOUR STUPID BICYCLES. go get an espresso and get the ef outta here lycra boys

17 minutes ago, bodega87 said:

FUCK YOUR STUPID BICYCLES. go get an espresso and get the ef outta here lycra boys

This is Cruising Anarchy. Asshole Anarchy is just down the hall.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

This is Cruising Anarchy. Asshole Anarchy is just down the hall.

Go outside dude. Your post count is beyond pathetic. (5.07 per day, for 15 years)

Sailing and riding a bike have at least one thing in common.  They both bring a joy of life that allows one to just smile when confronted by @$$holes.

chfinal_clrbest.jpg

heart_rate.png

jqgKQ79.jpg

untitled.png

fJmmEbY.png

• Like 2

Both  force you to accept that sometimes you are the asshole

as cyclists and sailors there are times when we really stuff it up

sometimes with witnesses and sometimes the fek ups are more private

In addition:

both cycling ans aailing involve a degree of unjustifiable expenditure that extends to capital equipment plus gadgets and clothing

both give pleasure while both engaged in the activity and thinking about it.

I also know that I have achieved a sense of contentment when I am riding the bike and thinking about the boat but , strangely enough I seldom think about the bike while on the boat

I always take my folder with me when sailing to new places... a folding bike takes up a lot of real estate on a 22 footer - but well worth having aboard. It allows  yo;u to explore way beyond the first mile of the pontoon

Dylan - happy old sailor and owner of four bikes

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Both  force you to accept that sometimes you are the asshole

as cyclists and sailors there are times when we really stuff it up

sometimes with witnesses and sometimes the fek ups are more private

In addition:

both cycling ans aailing involve a degree of unjustifiable expenditure that extends to capital equipment plus gadgets and clothing

both give pleasure while both engaged in the activity and thinking about it.

I also know that I have achieved a sense of contentment when I am riding the bike and thinking about the boat but , strangely enough I seldom think about the bike while on the boat

I always take my folder with me when sailing to new places... a folding bike takes up a lot of real estate on a 22 footer - but well worth having aboard. It allows  yo;u to explore way beyond the first mile of the pontoon

Dylan - happy old sailor and owner of four bikes

Ivan Illich:

"What gains in equality, activity, health, and freedom would result from limiting all other vehicles to the speed of bicycles and sailing ships?"

Cheers,

W.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Barry crosses a bit of the pacific

300 miles in a week is a slow passage

Did he ever get around to cleaning the bottom ?

16 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Barry crosses a bit of the pacific

300 miles in a week is a slow passage

I've pretty much stopped watching Barry. He spends far too much time just rambling on at the camera. Can't imagine enough exciting would be happening on that passage to make entertaining video regardless.

FKT

On 6/7/2019 at 4:51 PM, Troglodytarum said:

My advice to you:

Free weights.  Lots of 'em.

You need to first run up a hill behind a 70kg/10 stones fit guy. Then you might reconsider your advice!

back to video projects

17 year old  with talent for youtube starts re-build on brge yacht

awesome is the word to watch for -

46 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

Thumbnailing at its finest

A welcome thread correction - thank you sir

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

how to launch a broads boat - with tallow and sawdust

I liked this one.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I've pretty much stopped watching Barry. He spends far too much time just rambling on at the camera. Can't imagine enough exciting would be happening on that passage to make entertaining video regardless.

FKT

Well you got that one right.  Barry rambles on a bit and bugger all happens.  He is near the Galapagos which is often a windless area.  It will be likely to take 6 weeks to reach Marquesas.

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

A welcome thread correction - thank you sir

Come on this was goof, this was the revenge of the MAMILs against the young girls in bikini!

23 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Come on this was goof, this was the revenge of the MAMILs against the young girls in bikini!

Hopefully I speak for most of the MAMILs here - we prefer to see the "girls sailing in hot places"

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, IStream said:

Shouldn't you be posting advice for "outfits" on Grindr.... different kinda 'cruising', but all power to you old man.

2 hours ago, BeerMonkey said:

Shouldn't you be posting advice for "outfits" on Grindr.... different kinda 'cruising', but all power to you old man.

Got a shoe for that sock?

On 6/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, dylan winter said:

So this one is upping the ante from tits to growler? ;)

44 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

mads goes sailing

Watched the latest mads video and he surely wasn't doing much sailing. I think he enjoys the fettling, sailing not so much. 

45 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I think he has seen the succes Leo has made of a fixing it film and is doing the same

goodonim

D

Leo's got training, woodworking skills, sailing skills, a good sense of the camera, fine taste in music, and a cute girlfriend. Tough act to follow.

• Like 1

RAN up the duff

more baby stuff....

I promise that I will not get pregnant before I finish filming in Scotland

Dylan

• Like 1

RAN up the duff

more baby stuff....

I promise that I will not get pregnant before I finish filming in Scotland

Dylan

Hmmm. I didn't bother watching that episode - got no interest in other peoples' seasickness quite frankly. I've had to stand a lot of watches the first week at sea for people who took a bit to get their sea legs to find it noteworthy.

Wonder what it'll do to their cruising plans though. I can't think that a newborn aboard a short-handed boat would be appealing as a lifestyle choice. Time to head home to Sweden perhaps....

Whatever they decide, good on them. Nice people and excellent vids.

FKT

Martinique - with wind noise and repairs in a  hot boat

she also shares her uploading woes - she put her phone in a camping mat in a sports good store so that she could upload using their wifi...

and here are her patreon details

https://www.patreon.com/windhippie

127 patrons and $811 a month