dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

2 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra)?  How about an OGIL (Old Guy In Lycra)?

I've been trying to decide on an outfit for my next triathlon.  Perhaps the members of this forum might have an opinion.

50902584_10161312453330254_3418826854180585472_n.jpg

51231902_10161312453400254_1873674925919698944_n.jpg

56679437_10161568015360254_7991119952260104192_n.jpg

My advice is to upgrade your phone.

19 minutes ago, IStream said:

Yeah, and clean the toy room.

52 minutes ago, captain_crunch said:

The podium at the Tour de France.  These guys don't do a lot of weight lifting.

tour_de_france_podium.jpg

Well... they do do a lot of weight lifting. Just not for bulk. 

And you want the middle option. Sleeves and tight is the fastest option. 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:05 AM, dylan winter said:

I met a former MAMIL on the hard the other day- he was launching his dinghy.. He told me that he had given up his road bike after a  terriblle accident involving a  driver taking an unexpected left turn.  He cursed the driver roundly. I asked the biker how fast the driver was going - about ten miles an hour he said. How fast were youi going - about 25 miles an hour was his answer.

He said he misses the speed and the £4,000 bike

Dylan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamil

Of all the things that I have done that could be considered thrilling, sharing the road with automobiles on a bicycle brought me more unexpected sphincter tightening moments (as opposed to a "code brown" moment).   I have been punted four times by cars, once by one driven by a distracted mother, and all the rest were pensioners who were trying to back road to the stores without getting on a main thoroughfare.   Those three rolled through stop signs without looking.   Been very lucky to not have more than spectacularly colorful large bruises, embedded asphalt aggregate in the hide and bikes turned into misshapen metallic components.

I still ride and expect to be bank shot again in the future, but do my best to anticipate the lack of awareness of others.

- Stumbling

FUCK YOUR STUPID BICYCLES. go get an espresso and get the ef outta here lycra boys

17 minutes ago, bodega87 said:

FUCK YOUR STUPID BICYCLES. go get an espresso and get the ef outta here lycra boys

This is Cruising Anarchy. Asshole Anarchy is just down the hall.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

This is Cruising Anarchy. Asshole Anarchy is just down the hall.

Go outside dude. Your post count is beyond pathetic. (5.07 per day, for 15 years)

Sailing and riding a bike have at least one thing in common.  They both bring a joy of life that allows one to just smile when confronted by @$$holes.

chfinal_clrbest.jpg

heart_rate.png

jqgKQ79.jpg

untitled.png

fJmmEbY.png

• Like 2

Both  force you to accept that sometimes you are the asshole

as cyclists and sailors there are times when we really stuff it up

sometimes with witnesses and sometimes the fek ups are more private

In addition:

both cycling ans aailing involve a degree of unjustifiable expenditure that extends to capital equipment plus gadgets and clothing

both give pleasure while both engaged in the activity and thinking about it.

I also know that I have achieved a sense of contentment when I am riding the bike and thinking about the boat but , strangely enough I seldom think about the bike while on the boat

I always take my folder with me when sailing to new places... a folding bike takes up a lot of real estate on a 22 footer - but well worth having aboard. It allows  yo;u to explore way beyond the first mile of the pontoon

Dylan - happy old sailor and owner of four bikes

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Both  force you to accept that sometimes you are the asshole

as cyclists and sailors there are times when we really stuff it up

sometimes with witnesses and sometimes the fek ups are more private

In addition:

both cycling ans aailing involve a degree of unjustifiable expenditure that extends to capital equipment plus gadgets and clothing

both give pleasure while both engaged in the activity and thinking about it.

I also know that I have achieved a sense of contentment when I am riding the bike and thinking about the boat but , strangely enough I seldom think about the bike while on the boat

I always take my folder with me when sailing to new places... a folding bike takes up a lot of real estate on a 22 footer - but well worth having aboard. It allows  yo;u to explore way beyond the first mile of the pontoon

Dylan - happy old sailor and owner of four bikes

Ivan Illich:

"What gains in equality, activity, health, and freedom would result from limiting all other vehicles to the speed of bicycles and sailing ships?"

Cheers,

W.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Barry crosses a bit of the pacific

300 miles in a week is a slow passage

Did he ever get around to cleaning the bottom ?

16 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I've pretty much stopped watching Barry. He spends far too much time just rambling on at the camera. Can't imagine enough exciting would be happening on that passage to make entertaining video regardless.

FKT

On 6/7/2019 at 4:51 PM, Troglodytarum said:

My advice to you:

Free weights.  Lots of 'em.

You need to first run up a hill behind a 70kg/10 stones fit guy. Then you might reconsider your advice!

back to video projects

17 year old  with talent for youtube starts re-build on brge yacht

awesome is the word to watch for -

46 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

Thumbnailing at its finest

A welcome thread correction - thank you sir

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

how to launch a broads boat - with tallow and sawdust

I liked this one.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I've pretty much stopped watching Barry. He spends far too much time just rambling on at the camera. Can't imagine enough exciting would be happening on that passage to make entertaining video regardless.

FKT

Well you got that one right.  Barry rambles on a bit and bugger all happens.  He is near the Galapagos which is often a windless area.  It will be likely to take 6 weeks to reach Marquesas.

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

A welcome thread correction - thank you sir

Come on this was goof, this was the revenge of the MAMILs against the young girls in bikini!

23 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Come on this was goof, this was the revenge of the MAMILs against the young girls in bikini!

Hopefully I speak for most of the MAMILs here - we prefer to see the "girls sailing in hot places"

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, IStream said:

Shouldn't you be posting advice for "outfits" on Grindr.... different kinda 'cruising', but all power to you old man.

2 hours ago, BeerMonkey said:

Shouldn't you be posting advice for "outfits" on Grindr.... different kinda 'cruising', but all power to you old man.

Got a shoe for that sock?

On 6/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, dylan winter said:

So this one is upping the ante from tits to growler? ;)

44 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

mads goes sailing

Watched the latest mads video and he surely wasn't doing much sailing. I think he enjoys the fettling, sailing not so much. 

45 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I think he has seen the succes Leo has made of a fixing it film and is doing the same

goodonim

D

Leo's got training, woodworking skills, sailing skills, a good sense of the camera, fine taste in music, and a cute girlfriend. Tough act to follow.

• Like 1

RAN up the duff

more baby stuff....

I promise that I will not get pregnant before I finish filming in Scotland

Dylan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

RAN up the duff

more baby stuff....

I promise that I will not get pregnant before I finish filming in Scotland

Dylan

Hmmm. I didn't bother watching that episode - got no interest in other peoples' seasickness quite frankly. I've had to stand a lot of watches the first week at sea for people who took a bit to get their sea legs to find it noteworthy.

Wonder what it'll do to their cruising plans though. I can't think that a newborn aboard a short-handed boat would be appealing as a lifestyle choice. Time to head home to Sweden perhaps....

Whatever they decide, good on them. Nice people and excellent vids.

FKT

Martinique - with wind noise and repairs in a  hot boat

she also shares her uploading woes - she put her phone in a camping mat in a sports good store so that she could upload using their wifi...

and here are her patreon details

https://www.patreon.com/windhippie

127 patrons and $811 a month

I watched a few of her videos but there was just something about them that made me lose interest. 

Ditto.

She's just not that much of a storyteller...

Having said that, I like her straightforward way of simply mucking about on the boat.

10 hours ago, woahboy said:

I watched a few of her videos but there was just something about them that made me lose interest. 

too much vacuous windy yacking and not enough sailing perhaps?

I had hopes.... but she is schlepping around the same spots all the others have bern filming

I see pig feeding in her future

Dylan can I ask what your opinion is regarding filming and posting the minutiae of ones life.

Crikey my partner and I sail for quite the reverse focus and our yacht is a adventure machine that we would find great difficulty sharing those experiences with those that choose to sit on the couch and live vicariously .

I made them for the most craven of reasons

as a retired unsuccessful and unpensioned journalist I made the films and sold the DVds  to earn enough money to sail a bigger yacht - 26 feet - and to be able to sail in Scotland - 500 miles from home

when the DVDs died the  revenue stream went bellyup so I sold the 26 footer and  back to the trailer sailer  and did what most sailors do which is tp schlep  up and down the same few  rivers - I seldom take the camera with me anymore.

I stopped making films

As for being open - I regard it as  little different from being a travel reporter - in those days my job was to go somewhere and tell you what I thought about it. Two books, countless radio progs and TV reports over the years

- so youtube was just another medium - but one where I made films for google who never pay insted of the BBC or book publishers who were decent enough to pay me for my time.

The good news is that youtube is now flooded with excellent sailing films - while many are about vauous good looking people sailing in dull places some have more to offer and expressions of delight many are excellent

I am still hoping that one day I will get to feed a swimming pig

My youtube space has just one film on it now

as a last chance saloon I am slowly utting all the films behind a paywall - at $1 a pop

It is unlikely to get me baack to scotland but it gives me some warm feelings that google is now longer hoovering up all my work

Dylan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I had hopes.... but she is schlepping around the same spots all the others have bern filming

I think it's a shame because she's highly skilled.

She sails alone, fixes her stuff, climbs the rig without harness or halyard. She has an interesting choice of boat. Her background story is also interesting.  She has a lot more going for her than the typical "We're from Kansas and decided to chuck it all and buy a boat"  clueless couple.

She's wasting all that talent by cruising the same old grounds, filling the video with "vacuous yakking" and titillating thumbnails.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I think it's a shame because she's highly skilled.

She sails alone, fixes her stuff, climbs the rig without harness or halyard. She has an interesting choice of boat. Her background story is also interesting.  She has a lot more going for her than the typical "We're from Kansas and decided to chuck it all and buy a boat"  clueless couple.

She's wasting all that talent by cruising the same old grounds, filling the video with "vacuous yakking" and titillating thumbnails.

but you also need to be able to film, record sound, tell a story, obey the rulesof TV grammar and to communicate

some of the Kansas people are good at all of them

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

but you also need to be able to film, record sound, tell a story, obey the rulesof TV grammar and to communicate

some of the Kansas people are good at all of them

Very true.

28 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

also, no conflict.  No man vs man, man vs nature, etc.

Below deck Mediterranean at least has that.

BWahahahaha....   I watch that crap too.  :D

37 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

also, no conflict.  No man vs man, man vs nature, etc.

Below deck Mediterranean at least has that.

There was an episode where she got stuck in the Gulf Stream on her way to the Caribbean. It had a bit of "woman vs. nature."  She didn't wail and cry false tears for the camera, she just handled it.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:04 AM, dylan winter said:

Even after all his miles he is a crap sailor. no wonder it took him twice as long to get across. He has everything reefed in 7 knots of wind
and complains about making  2 knots on that shitter. almost nothing works.  Surprised hes survived  

Lots of rehearsed drama - every rain shower becomes a white squall, a 5 mile crossing with a fishing boat is ' I was almost rundown last night'

18 hours ago, woahboy said:

Actually I like that one about Martinique.  Have to put that destination on my dream list.

Favorite oldie film as a young adult was "To Have and Have Not," set in Vichy-French Martinique.  Bogey cast as the deep sea fishing captain, Walter Brennan as his first mate...Hoagy Carmichael at the piano in a smoky bar...a very young Lauren Bacall.  Shit, I want to go back and watch that movie again soon.

• Like 1

what a rack! not sure how this guy is pulling this off but as dylan says, "goodonim"

25 minutes ago, chester said:

not sure how this guy is pulling this off

Probably somewhere between "no fool like an old fool" and "a fool and his money are soon parted."  But he appears to be living a dream!  

money and water seem to attract

image.png

What a creep.

• Like 2

seems like a mutually agreed professional arrangement to me, in order to drive the number of views up...

• Like 1

Holy rack-a-moli

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

seems like a mutually agreed professional arrangement to me, in order to drive the number of views up...

You all might like The Geordie, The Witch and The Wench.  

Wonder how our resident media/journalist expert, Dylan :-) will categorize this sailing genre.  Self-conscious/self-filming Youtubers, for sure; but not “sexy” in the mainstream way - rather more down-to-earth, for sure; and real sailors (and on an old wooden boat, to boot).  I’m not really a vid or TV watcher (and hardly even movies), but something about these two makes me want to watch The Geordie, The Witch and The Wench...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCXzKcD_YBx3upBKjuL9Zn1Q/videos

Episode “Belaying Pins: The Dirty Dozen”.  Enough said! :-)

Episode “Mr. Postman” has the requisite Youtube sailing video blonde female shots - but is different.  And they always have good/interesting soundtrack music.

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Wonder how our resident media/journalist expert, Dylan :-) will categorize this sailing genre.  Self-conscious/self-filming Youtubers, for sure; but not “sexy” in the mainstream way - rather more down-to-earth, for sure; and real sailors (and on an old wooden boat, to boot).  I’m not really a vid or TV watcher (and hardly even movies), but something about these two makes me want to watch The Geordie, The Witch and The Wench...

Episode “Mr. Postman” has the requisite Youtube sailing video blonde female shots - but is different.  And they always have good/interesting soundtrack music.

Well done - and real people!

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Nice. I appreciated the belaying pin exercise as I had to make 20 of them for my boat (a few spares, needed 16). I used my big metal lathe and a template to get the handles all the same, and glued in lengths of stainless tubing for the pin part. 

Might have to watch more of these guys.

FKT

19 hours ago, Ajax said:

What a creep.

Of the highest order! Very offensive. 

He seems to get a boat load of hot chicks to go sailing with him.  He must be hung like harry the horse.

2 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

He seems to get a boat load of hot chicks to go sailing with him.  He must be hung like harry the horse.

I'd say it looks more like donations to the Bad Girls School Fund.

19 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yep. And creepy can work in both directions. He could find himself hogtied, offshore and up for ransom if he solicits the wrong stranger to join him alone like that.

28 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Not saying your wrong, but, he was a cook on a cruise ship.  :)   I didnt know that paid that well.  :D     Maybe this patreon thing is making him some dough.

4 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Maybe this patreon thing is making him some dough.

As long as he keeps hiring the right 'talent' that shouldn't be too difficult 

I dunno, maybe it's a cultural thing and I'm wrong to look at it through a Puritanical, U.S. lens.

Or, maybe it's exactly what it looks like- a creepy older guy lured a bimbo from another country over to cruise on his boat with the promise of a lot of cash and publicity exposure.

• Like 1

I found his video for Season 1, Episode 1 interesting.   He talks all about his background.   Norway looks like an amazing place.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Or very wealthy. 

12 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Or very wealthy. 

I thought that too but he was a line cook for a cruise ship making basic wages and saved up for a boat.   I'm pretty sure he was shoestring before patreon.

It turns out, he scoops these chicks from a site called:  crewbay (https://www.crewbay.com/).  He puts an ad on there, and answers ads on there and these girls hook up with him through that site.  They are looking for free rides on a sailboat going places, and he is offering that experience for them.  He pays for the food and and other expenses and they help sail the boat.   lol.  And he gets eye candy for his youtube channel.  I dont think he is getting any sexy sexy time with these chicks.  They are all about 20 years younger than him.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nice. I appreciated the belaying pin exercise as I had to make 20 of them for my boat (a few spares, needed 16). I used my big metal lathe and a template to get the handles all the same, and glued in lengths of stainless tubing for the pin part. 

Might have to watch more of these guys.

FKT

I will be watching them.  The cruise across the Pacific was great watching.  Good to see them back.  They are the first youtubers I have been able to watch for more than three or four episodes.

On the theme of debauchery, is it my imagination or are the delos team more open about their smoking weed? Seems a bit reckless to advertise. 

what do you think chaps

long sea passages are about the inner journey

is bassa sustaining the narrative?

by contrast

15 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

It turns out, he scoops these chicks from a site called:  crewbay (https://www.crewbay.com/).  He puts an ad on there, and answers ads on there and these girls hook up with him through that site.  They are looking for free rides on a sailboat going places, and he is offering that experience for them.  He pays for the food and and other expenses and they help sail the boat.   lol.  And he gets eye candy for his youtube channel.  I dont think he is getting any sexy sexy time with these chicks.  They are all about 20 years younger than him.

That all makes sense. But that looks like at least partly a hookup site to me.  "Patricia from Poland, warm and open, etc etc."  I'm all for videos with healthy, happy chicks in the scenes as clickbait, but don't want to support anything that is based on exploitation.

13 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

by contrast

Christian's are outstanding

And his Ericson 38 is some real eye candy!

• Like 1

of course Christian is not churning out 18 minutes of video every week like bassa is

D

PS westerly centaurs are eye candy too

54 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

what do you think chaps

Christian is awesome!  I love his channel.  Such a great narrator.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 2:32 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The Geordie, The Witch and The Wench...

She jumped ship as bemoaned here:

Banking on continued interest without her.

Doubtful.

22 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

On the theme of debauchery, is it my imagination or are the delos team more open about their smoking weed? Seems a bit reckless to advertise. 

Recursive cause and effect.   Smoke more, get more sloppy, show more smoking, etc.

- Stumbling

There was the time that they were demonstrating how they were circumventing a customs seal.  But then, AFAIK, all their videos are months in the past.  Maybe it depends on whether you intend to ever return to that place.  Keep moving forward...

I'm sure the whole "Hold My Beer" genre contains evidence of all sorts of malfeasance that no cop on earth is bored enough to comb through.  

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 2:44 AM, dylan winter said:

I think she bypassed the pig feeding area staying offshore from North Carolina to parts south.  Hey, have to start a RTW voyage someplace!

they decide to build a 600 litre home built gas tank on a boat.....

needed to power the "big ass ride" to get to the diving grounds and the compressor needed to fill all the dive tanks

to build the tank  they planned to start grinding stuff on a dock.....

they were told to  go off and grind elsewhere

so they went away, did some grinding, then came back and started grinding again

- at night in a marina

If I was the marina owner....I am not sure I would welcome them

- while the money from a 70 footer would be nice....dealing with the noise and complaints and rust spots might make it not worth the candle.

These people are going to be noisy neighbours wherever they wash up

I assume that they are also applying a fair amount of pressure on the bogs and showers.

while the film is more interesting than Mads and his never ending, astonishingly anal, fettle....

it is less interesting and worthy than Leo and his never endlng hardwood chomping re-build

I am not sure "Drenched" is going to make money.

It is a bit like watching big brother but first having to watch a badly filmed series about the set being built...

Dylan

needed to power the "big ass ride" to get to the diving grounds and the compressor needed to fill all the dive tanks

- at night in a marina

- while the money from a 70 footer would be nice....dealing with the noise and complaints and rust spots might make it not worth the candle.

I assume that they are also applying a fair amount of pressure on the bogs and showers.

while the film is more interesting than Mads and his never ending, astonishingly anal, fettle....

it is less interesting and worthy than Leo and his never endlng hardwood chomping re-build

It is a bit like watching big brother but first having to watch a badly filmed series about the set being built...

Dylan

The opening 5 second visual staccato,  was enough to turn that OFF. Next,... :) 

- at night in a marina

Dylan

If I was the marina owner I'd toss them out permanently and ban them for life. Cutting & grinding steel around plastic or timber boats with expensive paint jobs is a very unfriendly and inconsiderate thing to do - the metal particles travel quite a way on the wind and the next time it rains or just gets damp, you have lovely orange speckles all over your paintwork. And I *own* a steel boat. Got a few of those stains on my paintwork, but at least I know who to blame for it.

Also the way they're using angle grinders without safety guards and in bare feet no less - they're a collection of accidents waiting to happen. I nearly cut a tendon on my hand with one of those thin cutoff discs, and the guard was on, and I was wearing gloves.

As for building your own petrol tank, good luck with that idea. Hope they've got really, really good gas sniffers fitted, plus a plan to safely empty that tank in the event of a leak. And that they actually had the thing designed by a competent person.

But, judging from the half I watched before the cringe factor overcame me - I doubt it.

One thing I can say for sure - I wouldn't want them *anywhere* near me. Especially if they have that tank filled......

FKT

• Like 1