dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Okay, I see now you're writing mystery thrillers.  Twas a good attempt, I must say.  Alas, the outcome is likely predictable based on the teaser photos and tone of the Prologue--- but I don't think a pound is worth filling out a PayPal transaction, only to have the missus ask about it on the next billing cycle.

Think bigger, offer a little more...

2 hours ago, Veeger said:

Okay, I see now you're writing mystery thrillers.  Twas a good attempt, I must say.  Alas, the outcome is likely predictable based on the teaser photos and tone of the Prologue--- but I don't think a pound is worth filling out a PayPal transaction, only to have the missus ask about it on the next billing cycle.

Think bigger, offer a little more...

well done for  following through though

making free films does not cut the mustard - too many wonderful alogrithm pandering free films out there  so tried selling words and pictures

it is an old concept

also trying to establish if the mechanics of the paywall works for  what is likely to be the last chance saloon with the films this coming winter

full no quibble refund available

It earned me $4 overnight

pissed off a few people no doubt as well

email me if you wish to read the full gruesome details for freemans

it was a good story though

it had a flow to it, a mystery, an evil genius at it's centre and a  happy ending

Dylan

PS - it was $1 - £1 would have cost $1.25 and involved an even bigger fight with swmbo

13 hours ago, dylan winter said:

he went to sea once - he got sea sick

which is a tragedy for some-one who loves boats

he makes fixing vids not sailing vids.

Goodonim - they are very well done and he has a wonderful persona

- although my philosophy is sail now fettle later

Incidentally - I drove 1000 km to Finisterre to buy a Fisher 25 last week -

from a Frenchman

- there are some good lessons to be learned

there is a blog about it somewhere

filthyfisher-Still017.jpg

What was the result on the Fisher? Did you buy it?

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

well done for  following through though

making free films does not cut the mustard - too many wonderful alogrithm pandering free films out there  so tried selling words and pictures

it is an old concept

also trying to establish if the mechanics of the paywall works for  what is likely to be the last chance saloon with the films this coming winter

full no quibble refund available

It earned me $4 overnight

pissed off a few people no doubt as well

email me if you wish to read the full gruesome details for freemans

it was a good story though

it had a flow to it, a mystery, an evil genius at it's centre and a  happy ending

Dylan

PS - it was $1 - £1 would have cost $1.25 and involved an even bigger fight with swmbo

Dylan, love your work, don't even mind dropping  occasional assistance into your boat fund.  So, as I'm ruminating on your dilemma,  I'm thinking you need to consider a slightly different approach.  It seems the 'successful' YoooToooobers have Patreon accounts and supporters who contribute larger sums (presumably) or at least more regularly?  Rather than paying a few quid/bob/bucks for each video, perhaps you should cultivate a core of supporters and even give them an 'inside' access to additional content?  

Oh, and NO, it doesn't have to be skimpy clothing, puleeze, NOT that!   (I'm also sure that the Patreon methodology has onerous fees associated with it as well but even the PayPal approach could still work)

Many folks have suggested that Dylan start a Patreon, but he has declined.

thanks for the feedback

I have changed the wording to everyone who leaves a comment on the blog  gets their dollar back

In other words - they allow me to digitally hold their dollar while they read the well illustrated and beautifully written denouement

All they have to do is to leave a one word comment  - derogatory or otheerwise - and I will give them their dollar back

As for Patreon

the model of,  give it all away to google and hold out the hat for the droppings,  is not one that works unless you are working at a very high scale.

This man is trying something different - he might be onto something

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

thanks for the feedback

I have changed the wording to everyone who leaves a comment on the blog  gets their dollar back

In other words - they allow me to digitally hold their dollar while they read the well illustrated and beautifully written denouement

All they have to do is to leave a one word comment  - derogatory or otheerwise - and I will give them their dollar back

As for Patreon

the model of,  give it all away to google and hold out the hat for the droppings,  is not one that works unless you are working at a very high scale.

This man is trying something different - he might be onto something

He might be onto something...

Of course the big question is, Was this the full $8.95 worth?

14 minutes ago, Veeger said:

He might be onto something...

Of course the big question is, Was this the full $8.95 worth?

no

that is the free promo

he charges 99 pence per film

of £6.95 for a season of them

26 mins long

this is the free one in among the 99 cents one

I understand he is earning about £400 a week

he has his engine clonking away in the background through most of them

Dylan

• Like 1

How about holding up posting the video until total contributions reach a set amount, then charging a larger amount for subsequent views, a sort of diy crowd funding deal...?

5 hours ago, olaf hart said:

How about holding up posting the video until total contributions reach a set amount, then charging a larger amount for subsequent views, a sort of diy crowd funding deal...?

that is a plan

what amounts do you suggest?

How much is a 20 minute film worth?

so far around 20 people have let me hold their paypal dollar while reading the beautfully illustrated and perfectly paced blog which has a hero, a protagonist and a happy ending

ten have left comments and, as promised,  been given their dollar back

each refund costs me 15 cents - which goes to paypal

welcome  to  digital economics 101

Dylan

On 6/26/2019 at 9:18 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Grinding steel is a totally different thing. The particles *will* lie in places because they're a lot heavier, they can and will stick to painted surfaces, and they *will* rust leaving orange speckles everywhere. I'd never do this sort of work amongst other peoples' boats in a marina. Even on the hard you need to rig drop sheets to contain the dust

Too right. Our "new" fibreglass boat left a so-called reputable Sydney Harbour boatyard recently bound for Cairns covered in orange speckles. Two months later we are still trying to rid of them. (Ideas?)

As ex-steelie owners we knew instantly what had happened... but by then the boat had been delivered to Cairns.

There are many steps in the boat building process that some people may not know of or think about when picturing the work being done. Most see the centerline timbers going up. Then the frames, the planks, deck, spars, etc. And Boom you have a boat! However, there are so many more intricate parts that go into the process. One of those that many may not think of in wooden boats is something called stop waters. In this installment we fair up the rabbet to its final shape to accept the garboard plank, instal one more floor up in the bow and drill some holes in our timbers to install the stop waters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, t.rex said:

There are many steps in the boat building process that some people may not know of or think about when picturing the work being done. Most see the centerline timbers going up. Then the frames, the planks, deck, spars, etc. And Boom you have a boat! However, there are so many more intricate parts that go into the process. One of those that many may not think of in wooden boats is something called stop waters. In this installment we fair up the rabbet to its final shape to accept the garboard plank, instal one more floor up in the bow and drill some holes in our timbers to install the stop waters.

top notch film

well done

take $1

Dylan

On 7/13/2019 at 6:16 AM, rainbowrunner said:

Too right. Our "new" fibreglass boat left a so-called reputable Sydney Harbour boatyard recently bound for Cairns covered in orange speckles. Two months later we are still trying to rid of them. (Ideas?)

As ex-steelie owners we knew instantly what had happened... but by then the boat had been delivered to Cairns.

Phosphoric acid should do it. It's amazing stuff for removing rust stains. Test on an inconspicuous area first. But it should do it

20 minutes ago, Zora said:

Phosphoric acid should do it. It's amazing stuff for removing rust stains. Test on an inconspicuous area first. But it should do it

I am also a fan of phosphoric acid, but thought it would turn the brown spots black and make the problem worse...

42 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

I am also a fan of phosphoric acid, but thought it would turn the brown spots black and make the problem worse...

Sorry it's early, I meant oxalic. Phosphoric would work too but need to move fast or it goes green. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zora said:

Sorry it's early, I meant oxalic. Phosphoric would work too but need to move fast or it goes green. 

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, dylan winter said:

from a Frenchman

Congrats on the new boat! When you get it out sailing, I'd like to hear how the sails balance. 

thanks for the congrats

although things did not turn out quite as I had expected

many a slip twixt cup and lip

D

They need to do the basic refit in 3 months.  Should be interesting!

8 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Hope they've a good sense of priorities, and that's *not* bothering with the paint job or anything else cosmetic until the propulsion systems (engine, sails, rig) and bilge pumps are sorted.

FKT

Aren't those the same couple that was on Delos for most of the last year?  

OK I watched (fast-forward) it to the point where the guy said the first job they have is to paint the boat.

I quit at that point.

FKT

• Like 1

I quit soon after that when he was talking about cutting out steel drainage channels and replacing them with stainless because of “ friction”.

these guys have a steep learning curve ahead of them.

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

watch out delos

these people re gunning for your market

D

I don't think so

12 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Her (their) accent reminds me of the YouTube girl...piper? Curvy, odd videos, discussion of wether she may be deaf, potentially an adult film actor?

On 7/11/2019 at 2:17 PM, dylan winter said:

from a Frenchman

Wait, what? Did you complete the purchase or was it fatally flawed? I would love to see you back on a boat and making films again, Dylan. Even if the first two years consist entirely of fettling...

the denouement is on the blog

it  is free to read.

the boat is ideal for what I want. undeniably tatty but sound British made hull, slop free steering,  bracket on the back. Good sails.

Good boat for the price.

5 hours ago, olaf hart said:

I quit soon after that when he was talking about cutting out steel drainage channels and replacing them with stainless because of “ friction”.

I foresee an 85% completed sailboat for sale in the near future. After all they're starting with a 95% complete one........

Yes I am being an optimist. Probably be more like 70% or worse, if they're going to pick up an angle grinder and welder to start changing stuff that's currently functional.

FKT

6 hours ago, olaf hart said:

I think what he meant there is that the paint is getting rubbed off and it's rotting. The channel seems to be corroded through. Seems like a decent idea to me, any areas of wear on my boat are stainless. That engine has been run every year apparently, so it shouldn't be too bad. New hoses and a service. They've said they're having a professional do a lot of the mechanical work, rigging needs to be changed for sure. Sails are probably shot, but overall It's a lovely boat that was obviously designed by a sailor. I wish mine was at that stage! 3 months might be optimistic for sure, but they seem to have the cash to do it. 

8 hours ago, chester said:

Her (their) accent reminds me of the YouTube girl...piper? Curvy, odd videos, discussion of wether she may be deaf, potentially an adult film actor?

I dunno about that, but the camera sure favors her, and a cheery crewmate like that would grace any boat.

it  is free to read.

the boat is ideal for what I want. undeniably tatty but sound British made hull, slop free steering,  bracket on the back. Good sails.

Good boat for the price.

You bought it? Yay!

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

it  is free to read.

Good boat for the price.

Thanks for the pointer, Dylan. I read both halves. I won't spoil the surprise and I won't comment on the blog so you can keep my dollar. 

I think your verdict on the French as a whole is a bit harsh but you did get a memorable transaction out of the experience.

Ditto!  I missed the part about the denouement. Now I understand why you weren't sharing the story here.

It was a good story, worthy of at least a dollar. I'll just say that you made the right choice.

44 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Ditto!  I missed the part about the denouement. Now I understand why you weren't sharing the story here.

It was a good story, worthy of at least a dollar. I'll just say that you made the right choice.

I refunded your dollar - I did not actually specify where the comment had to be left - and I am a man if my word

I am still unsure if I made the right call

Just now, dylan winter said:

I refunded your dollar - I did not actually specify where the comment had to be left - and I am a man if my word

I am still unsure if I made the right call

Well, I don't want to spoil the story but I have a few reasons why it was the right decision.

52 minutes ago, IStream said:

Thanks for the pointer, Dylan. I read both halves. I won't spoil the surprise and I won't comment on the blog so you can keep my dollar. 

I think your verdict on the French as a whole is a bit harsh but you did get a memorable transaction out of the experience.

Aha

I now realise that I did not specify where the comment should be made - you did comment - so you have your dollar back and the french owned paypal gets 15 cents out of the deal. That has a nice symmetry to it

9 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Well, I don't want to spoil the story but I have a few reasons why it was the right decision.

the hull is sound, the steering is good, the engine might have run, all electrics come from AA batteries. A good boat at a fair price I reckon. I am a pretty good judge of shit boats now. If you take the engine out of the equation and you know what pox smells like, rigging tells you when it needs replacing.

refund sent as I failed to specify where the comment should be made

silly old bugger

D

9 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Aha

I now realise that I did not specify where the comment should be made - you did comment - so you have your dollar back and the french owned paypal gets 15 cents out of the deal. That has a nice symmetry to it

Damn you. I just sent you a tenner as punishment. Hang in there, there's always another boat.

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I would sail with him

looks like fun

D

I don't think the world is ready for the Dylan merman. And it definitely won't get you more YouTube hits or PayPal taps towards the Fisher. But maybe a negative approach would work: "Subscribe now to ensure you never see Dylan as a merman"...

I think he takes a hell of a risk of attracting a real whack-job. Crazy comes in all kinds of packages, even the beautiful.

23 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I think he takes a hell of a risk of attracting a real whack-job. Crazy comes in all kinds of packages, even the beautiful.

I'm not totally convinced about him either in the crazy stakes.:wacko:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I think he takes a hell of a risk of attracting a real whack-job. Crazy comes in all kinds of packages, even often the beautiful.

FIFY.   

The Mermaid guy is transparently creepy - we all pick up on the vibe.  Therefore he's sorting for female crew who are most likely to be poor, desperate, or tricky themselves.  What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

I'm going to apply for the position as a transitioning female.  When he denies me the position, I'm gonna scream RACIST!

He's not in the US, I don't think it'll work.

18 minutes ago, Ajax said:

He's not in the US, I don't think it'll work.

It also may backfire

image.png.21a453629b39915044dff2c582edf35b.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Troglodytarum said:

I'm going to apply for the position as a transitioning female.  When he denies me the position, I'm gonna scream RACIST!

Transgender isn't a race.  lol.

8 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

FIFY.   

The Mermaid guy is transparently creepy - we all pick up on the vibe.  Therefore he's sorting for female crew who are most likely to be poor, desperate, or tricky themselves.  What could possibly go wrong?

From my point of view, the whole fascination shown on this thread based around the comments on women is creepy!  

do you never watch any of them?

do their provocative thumbnails never appear in you inbox?

Do you know who Brows is?

Dylan

Took a female on one day to go racing at the club.  General chit chat on the way out, just trying to understand what experience she had.

"I just had a long term relationship end and it was very upsetting. Thought I'd get out of the house "  

"Oh sorry to hear that ... when did it end?"

"Yesterday"

31 minutes ago, mad said:

From my point of view, the whole fascination shown on this thread based around the comments on women is creepy!  

I was thinking the same thing.  Hard to ignore the facts though, looks like this is a big part of the industry,

• Like 1

I agree

tits and fixing stuff are what count in the market for sailing films

and of the two

tits are easily more powerful

blame the google algorithm and twitching fingers of youtubers

5 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

do you never watch any of them?

Maybe 10 for the full duration max since the start of this thread, nothing at present has been interesting enough.

do their provocative thumbnails never appear in you inbox?

No, I don’t sign in or have any account details that they can use. It’s not provocative, it’s just click bait.  Pity the fool that falls for that  

Do you know who Brows is?

Who?  No idea who or what you mean

Dylan

Answers above.

Some of the YouTube accounts followed, and the comments by some here throughout this thread regarding women are downright creepy.  

Each to their own. 

(Not a pervy old man looking to get his kicks)

2 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I agree

tits and fixing stuff are what count in the market for sailing films

and of the two

tits are easily more powerful

blame the google algorithm

Blame the sad fuckers watching 

(a sailor that can interact in the real world) 

8 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

So where do you feel you stand?  Either way, you’re looking down getting your kicks or looking up. 

It’s not a class issue, it’s a generation issue. Just a hint  

Each to their own. 

21 minutes ago, random said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Hard to ignore the facts though, looks like this is a big part of the industry,

Well the stars have truly aligned Random, we agree wholeheartedly on something. 

18 minutes ago, mad said:

So where do you feel you stand?  Either way, you’re looking down getting your kicks or looking up. 

It’s not a class issue, it’s a generation issue. Just a hint  

Each to their own. 

I look up to you

25 minutes ago, mad said:

I knew you would see it my way eventually.

17 minutes ago, random said:
43 minutes ago, mad said:

I knew you would see it my way eventually.

Say what you want about Random, but that's some world-class trolling right there.

39 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I look up to you

Try something new as a retort, you’ve played that card before with me and it was churlish at best then

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

Say what you want about Random, but that's some world-class trolling right there.

No, that’s a messed up set of quotes. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

Try something new as a retort, you’ve played that card before with me and it was churlish at best then

It appears to be his standard passive non-confrontational reply to a debating point he's lost and can't bring himself to just say so. Reminds me of a comment made about someone whose name I can't offhand recall - 'facts have no traction in the face of a higher truth'......... kind of like Ramdumb when it comes down to it.

FKT

5 hours ago, mad said:

the name of the thread IS “girl with Patreon account...”  So the subject would seem to be about women in sailing vlogs

5 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

It appears to be his standard passive non-confrontational reply to a debating point he's lost and can't bring himself to just say so. Reminds me of a comment made about someone whose name I can't offhand recall - 'facts have no traction in the face of a higher truth'......... kind of like Ramdumb when it comes down to it.

FKT

was there a debate? -

I did not realise I lost anything

then I  realised I was being looked down on

so I looked up

I agree with Dylan, I was taught to know my place and to keep it.....

was there a debate? -

I did not realise I lost anything

then I  realised I was being looked down on

so I looked up

same shit, different day.............

4 hours ago, mad said:

same shit, different day.............

same dipshit, different day

21 hours ago, dylan winter said:

politeness costs nothing

Yes, and for the record, in case it was not clear, I was not referring to you. I've been watching and enjoying your videos for years. And have done my small part to keep you afloat.

Once she is sailing, we are planning on taking Arabella all around the world on adventures and in all kinds of conditions. A bluewater sailboat like her needs to be tough and be able to stand up to all kinds of conditions. Atkin designed her with these considerations in mind, but there is one more element to wooden sailboats that we feel is important. This element is something that has been used a lot in the past but was also often omitted, despite evidence of its usefulness in tough conditions. This element is diagonal bronze strapping on the hull. Sailboats are very structurally stable bow to stern and starboard to port but they are not particularly stable when torsionally strained. The bronze strapping ties the frames all together along with the planking to add extra strength in this dimension. In addition, they can also act as a slight protection to the frames if a boat is ever washed up rocks. With this part of the build installed, we also move on to scarfing up our full length planks to get ready to hang Arabella's first planks!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, monsoon said:

Yes, and for the record, in case it was not clear, I was not referring to you. I've been watching and enjoying your videos for years. And have done my small part to keep you afloat.

sorry

thought it was me in the firing line

just crossfire then

114_11-white-flag-exterior-view.jpg

above reminds me of a story a fuel dock attendant told me once.

He insisted that i put the fill hose in myself. I asked him if it was for insurance reasons. He replied that once a new fuel dock attendant put the filler into a fishing rod holder and filled the cockpit up with about 10 gallons before anyone noticed.

• Like 2

Ruby Rose is for sale

RAN is for sale

Anyone else? 

1 hour ago, Dogscout said:

Ruby Rose is for sale

RAN is for sale

Anyone else? 

the shake-out is underway perhaps

during the summer the hits are down and the expenses are up

since this chap lost his wench his hits have plummeted

- although his films have got better

It will be interesting to see if drenched can gain enough traction to make it work on the free video model. Their overheads must be massive - 14 mouths to feed for starters - and soon to come....  a leaky petrol tank

2 hours ago, Dogscout said:

Anyone else? 

Don't tempt me

1 hour ago, Zora said:

Don't tempt me

Are you preggers? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

Are you preggers? 

It would explain several things.... mood swings... getting fat... lactating...