dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1 hour ago, IStream said:

No disrespect intended, I'm just not into their films. I too share Jeff's and your love of tacos. My wife taught for a semester in Oaxaca and I went down to visit a few times. Oaxaca is known for its food and we went to some very nice places but I mostly just ate, and preferred, street tacos.

street tacos there are AMAZING :-)  Mazatlan   had some of the best street food too ;-)

On 9/15/2019 at 1:07 PM, 2airishuman said:
  1. Greengrocer's apostrophe
  2. Irritating problems with autofocus picking out the wrong thing to focus on
  3. Too much talking head

Has potential though

You missed the inappropriate apostrophe in the title.  "...at it's finest"

Edit: Never mind, my cultural blunder. That's what a greengrocer's apostrophe IS!  Can't wait to use that term.

• Like 1

Completing Arabella's hull is something we are eagerly striving for. With this installment we cross a milestone in that goal. All of Arabella's frames that can currently go in, are finally installed. Once we have completed the planking process, the last seven sets of frames (currently blocked by the molds) will go in. Making these sawn frames was an interesting exercise in learning a new construction technique and Alix got the opportunity to tackle the process with these frames in the stern. While working on these, Steve and Ahmed worked on building a rack to store our cedar, which has up until now been taking up the majority of the space in our garage. With this lumber out of the garage we are able to put the Bridgeport and metal lathe to proper use. Both of which will be crucial for one of our upcoming tasks!

On 9/23/2019 at 3:35 AM, Israel Hands said:

A days work smells different from bad hygiene. Put the athletic chicks on my crew and the hippies can head to another boat, nose rings, vaping pens and all.

Its the dreadlock tailings left on the deck that get me...

- Stumbling

6 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

He's having fun although it doesn't look much like a force 10.   Anyway he could have shut the door .

He works in marine safety and emergency preparedness. If he gets himself drowned he's going to damage his career future.:)

What is the make of his boat?  In one video he mentioned it's 30 years old. He's got that thing dialed in.  

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

What is the make of his boat?  In one video he mentioned it's 30 years old. He's got that thing dialed in.  

It's a Contessa 35. It's a really nice boat.  They have been built from 75 to more or less 82. I was actually looking for one, at some point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Upp3 said:

Yes, a force 10 is relentless. There's also a lot of salt water in the air, visibility is poor from a small vessel and you have to lean into the wind,  the gusts heel boat significantly . salt spray stings your eyes, there's no worthwhile filming on deck on a boat that size. He's probably reporting the max gust as the experienced wind and consequently adding 40% to the real wind speed.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:37 PM, leuk said:

It's a Contessa 35. It's a really nice boat.  They have been built from 75 to more or less 82. I was actually looking for one, at some point.

Still being built. Walked past the yard the other day and they had the moulds out in the car park. The new “green” line come with eco resins and a diesel electric beta engine. As well as sustainably sourced interiors. 

• Like 1

Isn't it strange that the YouTube sailors are now headliners at Annapolis boat show.  The derision that they once faced and the name calling that occured are now in the past.  

Wow 

If the boat show can make money off of them, they'll be welcomed with open arms. Also, to those who lament the stagnation of the sport, the simple fact is that the next generation of boat buyers are the ones watching Youtubers and dreaming of living the life. 

• Like 4

On 7/6/2016 at 1:14 AM, dylan winter said:

one more for the genre

I think there are about 20 projects now running mostly featuring hotties in bikinis sailing AWBs in hot places

these guys are bringing in $107 a movie from patreon

they are quite nicely made films

yours

the ugly old bloke sailing a four knot shit box in cold but interesting places

From the business perspective (Wall Street Journal, go-to rag of money-grubbers), today I just randomly came across this article on SV Delos.

It’s somehow astounding to me how many people donate to Patreon to support this stuff.  No, maybe it’s not surprising at all.  $5K+ monthly.  The power of many eyeballs watching...

And instead of one boss, he now must answer to the 1,013 people on crowdfunding site Patreon who support the business.”

Office Hostage Escapes to Sail the Seas, Recreates Office

Software analyst left corporate world, now helms a multimedia enterprise

https://www.wsj.com/articles/office-hostage-escapes-to-sail-the-seas-re-creates-office-1478536723

On 10/7/2019 at 9:01 AM, Dogscout said:

Isn't it strange that the YouTube sailors are now headliners at Annapolis boat show.  The derision that they once faced and the name calling that occured are now in the past.  

Wow 

Yup - SV Delos CEO to be at Annapolis show.  (Maybe that’s where I ran across the WSJ link I just posted; probably an ad or article about the show which linked to that.)

Imagine Lin and Larry Pardey trying to “sell” the appeal of sailing a wooden boat, or at least the “go simple, go small, go now” thing.  Ain’t gonna work.  53’ Amel dialled in for satellite links, nothing less for dreamers!!! :-) :-)

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

And instead of one boss, he now must answer to the 1,013.”

Let me just point out that that is no different from leaving an evil corporation to become an honest consultant of any type.  Guess how I know?

Edit:  However IIRC (I may not) Brian was one of the partners at his firm?  

6 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Imagine Lin and Larry Pardey trying to “sell” the appeal of sailing a wooden boat, or at least the “go simple, go small, go now” thing.  Ain’t gonna work.  53’ Amel dialled in for satellite links, nothing less for dreamers!!! :-) :-)

Didn't they do just that with a lot of books etc? Lin Pardey is still earning from it, albeit nowhere near Delos et al. Sadly Larry isn't well at all, and reportedly can't remember any of his sailing days anymore. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yup - SV Delos CEO to be at Annapolis show.  (Maybe that’s where I ran across the WSJ link I just posted; probably an ad or article about the show which linked to that.)

Well if you are an exhibitor selling new boats at the show, you are going to want to feature the famous guy with the new-er 53' Amel at your booth.  Or as a featured speaker for the show, etc.

Maybe the analogy is that a well-known surfer is featured at a big event, complete with his rad van and quiver of new boards.  Then in reality there's the thousands of surf rats driving old beaters to the surf break, eating Doritos for breakfast and paddling out on their dinged-up boards.  For the majority of us, the latter is the dream we live(d).

Youtube provides proof that the dream is very much alive. It's just practiced at a lot of different levels of pocketbook.

Edit: And I gotta say, $5k per month is not a lot of income, if it means that you have 1,000+ fan-bosses making you jump through hoops all day long in paradise, losing sight of why you went there to begin with. I guess it all depends on the individual in his/her circumstance.

• Like 1

I totally agree- I wasn’t saying $5k monthly is a lot at all (for what they probably spend in time/effort to produce and upload the vids, plus operating costs of the boat.  Can’t be small.  I can’t imagine having that kind of regular, connected commitment...but he’s “escaped” urban workaday corporate drudgery, so kudos to him.

On the upside, he's probably young enough to get back into the workforce at any time and resume the rat race (especially since he can reference his online marketing and PR skills). 

The article was 2016. I think they're probably making at least double that per month now.

12 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

the famous guy with the new-er 53' Amel at your booth

Well Delos is at least 15 years old - so not exactly a shining example of the breed. 

6 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

No wash boards, companionway wide open.  Why?

what he was doing was not very dangerous and there was no need to close the washboards... perhaps

D

incidentally

Delos are grossing a tad more than $5K per month

Delos has 2000 patreons coughing up at least $5 per film

$10,000 per film

75 films in the past 12 months - 

very productive and hard working people

it is a market that has mushroomed from almost nothing.

These people are the Purdeys/slocums of this century and have more than earned their star performances at boat shows

Goodonem!

Dylan

16 hours ago, dylan winter said:

incidentally

Delos are grossing a tad more than $5K per month

Delos has 2000 patreons coughing up at least $5 per film

$10,000 per film

75 films in the past 12 months - 

very productive and hard working people

it is a market that has mushroomed from almost nothing.

These people are the Purdeys/slocums of this century and have more than earned their star performances at boat shows

Goodonem!

Dylan

And good on you too, mate. You have done an amazing job so far, and I for one hope we haven't seen the end of KTL. My suspicion is that your stuff will have a better 'shelf life' than the bikinis and aquapigs. Think on this (though it's likely not a comfort): The best/most famous painters became so AFTER they started pushing up daisies.

Please take in the spirit intended.

Guy anchors in area with large wakes from ferries going past nearby, doesn't use snubber because "it's not common practice in the Med", anchor windlass fails and releases the entire chain and boat washes up on rocks. Then he hires a "salvage" company that's more like a wrecking company, dragging the boat over the rocks, separating keel from hull. The explanation of what happened starts at 5:30.

On 8/30/2019 at 4:36 PM, Panoramix said:

How do you deal with Genoa blocks, mainsheet attachment, etc...?

We teach people common sense. If you can't walk around without tripping over everything on deck then you should wear shoes. But you don't have to wreak it for those that aren't challenged.

2 hours ago, Tylo said:

Guy anchors in area with large wakes from ferries going past nearby, doesn't use snubber because "it's not common practice in the Med", anchor windlass fails and releases the entire chain and boat washes up on rocks. Then he hires a "salvage" company that's more like a wrecking company, dragging the boat over the rocks, separating keel from hull. The explanation of what happened starts at 5:30.

I really liked the way all the float bags were tied so they were at the surface, doing nothing to lift the boat until she sank to the gunnels.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

We teach people common sense.

I must have been away for that lesson.....

FKT

3 hours ago, longy said:

I really liked the way all the float bags were tied so they were at the surface, doing nothing to lift the boat until she sank to the gunnels.

Didn’t watch, but when I had *ahem* a grounding experience, I sobered up my personal professional salvage expert / brother enough to convince me that float bags are not much use in shallow water.  In that case, we had a sandy bottom and safely kedged ourselves off. But otherwise, it seems that a crane pick from a barge is the way to go.  

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I must have been away for that lesson.....

FKT

I have always wondered as parents if we should teach our sons to wash their hands after pissing, or to teach them not to piss on their hands.     

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I have always wondered as parents if we should teach our sons to wash their hands after pissing, or to teach them not to piss on their hands.     

You should teach them to wash their genitals at least once a week and then get down to the fine points, like not shitting on your feet.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I rather think that a large number of posters on this web site failed or were never instructed in toilet etiquette. Judging by the trails they leave....

Wonder if Panoramix ever worked out why I don't kick my toes on any of the hardware he listed. Probably not.

FKT

On 10/8/2019 at 5:32 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Sailing Uma: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXbWsGV_cjG3gOsSnNJPVlg

Maybe these Kids have the answer to "go simple go small go now" with the ability to communicate in 2019.

We watch regularly - Sail far more than they motor.  Small affordable boat they have fixed themselves etc, etc.  Maybe they will Make enough from their Youtube life to buy an Amel but for now I like their approach.  Makes me question why we were shopping at the Annapolis show  when maybe what we need to do is to go back to simple small and now............

As an aside, Almost comical watching the YouTubers at the show with their identical cameras, recorders, and fuzzy microphones  mingling with the crowd . .  they appeared very uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, mainefarr43 said:

This girl used to be on Delos, of which I'm a big fan. I'll ask: wtf is she talking about?

meanwhile

5 hours ago, mainefarr43 said:

This girl used to be on Delos, of which I'm a big fan. I'll ask: wtf is she talking about?

Think of it as, like, y’know, yeah, well, like a really dumbed down version of the Diary of Samuel Pepys.  I made it only through 2:00 —two minutes of my life I’ll never get back! —where the punchline of her vid occurs (between 1:50-2:00).  I see it as sort of a personal diary, made public a la YouTube.  

Dull old Mads

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

with his endless pointless fettling  blown out of the water by the new kids on the block who have waded in with their armies of paper suited pro workers

170,000 views in a couple of days

These two are showing that you can save an old boat not be dedicating ten years to reburbishing it but by chucking a tonne of money at it

-  is  this is good for sailing as the amatuer fettlers have been swept aside?

6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Dull old Mads

with his endless pointless fettling  blown out of the water by the new kids on the block who have waded in with their armies of paper suited pro workers

These two are showing that you can save an old boat not be dedicating ten years to reburbishing it but by chucking a tonne of money at it

the sooner they get that boat out of the shed, into wrm water and the cute girl in a bikini the better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leuk said:

This guy's channel is getting more and more fun. It took a nice and unexpected turn.

Hugo is great. Very down to earth, highly skilled.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Dull old Mads

They are also doing a fair bit of the work themselves, like cleaning out multiple diesel tanks .

they have set a deadline and are working to that, rather than muddling along themselves, it is more the way most of us work...

and they are paying for labour in Brazil, which I suspect is still affordable.

Dylan 

have you seen roger Barnes’ videos on dinghy cruising through England ? I think you would enjoy them. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 12:46 AM, dylan winter said:

These two have a certain charm and if they have the money I see nothing wrong with getting some professional help. I am curious where the funds are coming from, but have not gone through all their videos so perhaps the answer is there somewhere. I would be more concerned about their focus on cosmetics. Eight coats of orange paint is nice, but the rig is a mess, the sails are shot, everything leaks, and so far the motor is an unknown. They also do not strike me as experienced sailors, and have chosen a big heavy complex boat. All said I hope they can splash and sail the thing, but the first scrape on that shiny paint will be a sad lesson in boat reality.

11 hours ago, steele said:

These two have a certain charm and if they have the money I see nothing wrong with getting some professional help. I am curious where the funds are coming from, but have not gone through all their videos so perhaps the answer is there somewhere. I would be more concerned about their focus on cosmetics. Eight coats of orange paint is nice, but the rig is a mess, the sails are shot, everything leaks, and so far the motor is an unknown. They also do not strike me as experienced sailors, and have chosen a big heavy complex boat. All said I hope they can splash and sail the thing, but the first scrape on that shiny paint will be a sad lesson in boat reality.

They're Youtubers, of course they're gonna focus on cosmetics first. Gotta have a pretty boat for the camera. Also, to the extent they neglect the rigging, sails, leaks, and motor, it just makes for better drama later in the series when shit breaks and they "almost die!!!!".

• Like 1

Perhaps, but after the last post I saw the vid of them cleaning the diesel tanks and have a newfound respect for their tenacity. Why the boat has 10 tanks is another matter, but a week on your hands and knees in that toxic enviroment scrubing away is more work than I have seen in a while.

28 minutes ago, steele said:

Perhaps, but after the last post I saw the vid of them cleaning the diesel tanks and have a newfound respect for their tenacity. Why the boat has 10 tanks is another matter, but a week on your hands and knees in that toxic enviroment scrubing away is more work than I have seen in a while.

Might be just a leeetttle hint about its sailing qualities?

7 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Might be just a leeetttle hint about its sailing qualities?

The boat looks like shit but she is cute as a button!