dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, IStream said:

No disrespect intended, I'm just not into their films. I too share Jeff's and your love of tacos. My wife taught for a semester in Oaxaca and I went down to visit a few times. Oaxaca is known for its food and we went to some very nice places but I mostly just ate, and preferred, street tacos.

street tacos there are AMAZING :-)  Mazatlan   had some of the best street food too ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 1:07 PM, 2airishuman said:
  1. Greengrocer's apostrophe
  2. Irritating problems with autofocus picking out the wrong thing to focus on
  3. Too much talking head

Has potential though

You missed the inappropriate apostrophe in the title.  "...at it's finest"

Edit: Never mind, my cultural blunder. That's what a greengrocer's apostrophe IS!  Can't wait to use that term.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Completing Arabella's hull is something we are eagerly striving for. With this installment we cross a milestone in that goal. All of Arabella's frames that can currently go in, are finally installed. Once we have completed the planking process, the last seven sets of frames (currently blocked by the molds) will go in. Making these sawn frames was an interesting exercise in learning a new construction technique and Alix got the opportunity to tackle the process with these frames in the stern. While working on these, Steve and Ahmed worked on building a rack to store our cedar, which has up until now been taking up the majority of the space in our garage. With this lumber out of the garage we are able to put the Bridgeport and metal lathe to proper use. Both of which will be crucial for one of our upcoming tasks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 3:35 AM, Israel Hands said:

A days work smells different from bad hygiene. Put the athletic chicks on my crew and the hippies can head to another boat, nose rings, vaping pens and all.

Its the dreadlock tailings left on the deck that get me...

- Stumbling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

He's having fun although it doesn't look much like a force 10.   Anyway he could have shut the door .

 

 

He works in marine safety and emergency preparedness. If he gets himself drowned he's going to damage his career future.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the make of his boat?  In one video he mentioned it's 30 years old. He's got that thing dialed in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

What is the make of his boat?  In one video he mentioned it's 30 years old. He's got that thing dialed in.  

It's a Contessa 35. It's a really nice boat.  They have been built from 75 to more or less 82. I was actually looking for one, at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Upp3 said:

Yes, a force 10 is relentless. There's also a lot of salt water in the air, visibility is poor from a small vessel and you have to lean into the wind,  the gusts heel boat significantly . salt spray stings your eyes, there's no worthwhile filming on deck on a boat that size. He's probably reporting the max gust as the experienced wind and consequently adding 40% to the real wind speed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 7:37 PM, leuk said:

It's a Contessa 35. It's a really nice boat.  They have been built from 75 to more or less 82. I was actually looking for one, at some point.

Still being built. Walked past the yard the other day and they had the moulds out in the car park. The new “green” line come with eco resins and a diesel electric beta engine. As well as sustainably sourced interiors. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it strange that the YouTube sailors are now headliners at Annapolis boat show.  The derision that they once faced and the name calling that occured are now in the past.  

 

Wow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the boat show can make money off of them, they'll be welcomed with open arms. Also, to those who lament the stagnation of the sport, the simple fact is that the next generation of boat buyers are the ones watching Youtubers and dreaming of living the life. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2016 at 1:14 AM, dylan winter said:

one more for the genre

I think there are about 20 projects now running mostly featuring hotties in bikinis sailing AWBs in hot places

these guys are bringing in $107 a movie from patreon

they are quite nicely made films

yours

the ugly old bloke sailing a four knot shit box in cold but interesting places

From the business perspective (Wall Street Journal, go-to rag of money-grubbers), today I just randomly came across this article on SV Delos.

It’s somehow astounding to me how many people donate to Patreon to support this stuff.  No, maybe it’s not surprising at all.  $5K+ monthly.  The power of many eyeballs watching...

And instead of one boss, he now must answer to the 1,013 people on crowdfunding site Patreon who support the business.”

 

Office Hostage Escapes to Sail the Seas, Recreates Office

Software analyst left corporate world, now helms a multimedia enterprise

https://www.wsj.com/articles/office-hostage-escapes-to-sail-the-seas-re-creates-office-1478536723

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 9:01 AM, Dogscout said:

Isn't it strange that the YouTube sailors are now headliners at Annapolis boat show.  The derision that they once faced and the name calling that occured are now in the past.  

 

Wow 

Yup - SV Delos CEO to be at Annapolis show.  (Maybe that’s where I ran across the WSJ link I just posted; probably an ad or article about the show which linked to that.)

Imagine Lin and Larry Pardey trying to “sell” the appeal of sailing a wooden boat, or at least the “go simple, go small, go now” thing.  Ain’t gonna work.  53’ Amel dialled in for satellite links, nothing less for dreamers!!! :-) :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

 

And instead of one boss, he now must answer to the 1,013.”

Let me just point out that that is no different from leaving an evil corporation to become an honest consultant of any type.  Guess how I know?

Edit:  However IIRC (I may not) Brian was one of the partners at his firm?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Imagine Lin and Larry Pardey trying to “sell” the appeal of sailing a wooden boat, or at least the “go simple, go small, go now” thing.  Ain’t gonna work.  53’ Amel dialled in for satellite links, nothing less for dreamers!!! :-) :-)

Didn't they do just that with a lot of books etc? Lin Pardey is still earning from it, albeit nowhere near Delos et al. Sadly Larry isn't well at all, and reportedly can't remember any of his sailing days anymore. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yup - SV Delos CEO to be at Annapolis show.  (Maybe that’s where I ran across the WSJ link I just posted; probably an ad or article about the show which linked to that.)

Imagine Lin and Larry Pardey trying to “sell” the appeal of sailing a wooden boat, or at least the “go simple, go small, go now” thing.  Ain’t gonna work.  53’ Amel dialled in for satellite links, nothing less for dreamers!!! :-) :-)

Well if you are an exhibitor selling new boats at the show, you are going to want to feature the famous guy with the new-er 53' Amel at your booth.  Or as a featured speaker for the show, etc.

Maybe the analogy is that a well-known surfer is featured at a big event, complete with his rad van and quiver of new boards.  Then in reality there's the thousands of surf rats driving old beaters to the surf break, eating Doritos for breakfast and paddling out on their dinged-up boards.  For the majority of us, the latter is the dream we live(d).

Youtube provides proof that the dream is very much alive. It's just practiced at a lot of different levels of pocketbook.

Edit: And I gotta say, $5k per month is not a lot of income, if it means that you have 1,000+ fan-bosses making you jump through hoops all day long in paradise, losing sight of why you went there to begin with. I guess it all depends on the individual in his/her circumstance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree- I wasn’t saying $5k monthly is a lot at all (for what they probably spend in time/effort to produce and upload the vids, plus operating costs of the boat.  Can’t be small.  I can’t imagine having that kind of regular, connected commitment...but he’s “escaped” urban workaday corporate drudgery, so kudos to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the upside, he's probably young enough to get back into the workforce at any time and resume the rat race (especially since he can reference his online marketing and PR skills). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article was 2016. I think they're probably making at least double that per month now.

12 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

the famous guy with the new-er 53' Amel at your booth

Well Delos is at least 15 years old - so not exactly a shining example of the breed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

No wash boards, companionway wide open.  Why?

what he was doing was not very dangerous and there was no need to close the washboards... perhaps

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

incidentally

 

Delos are grossing a tad more than $5K per month

Delos has 2000 patreons coughing up at least $5 per film

$10,000 per film

75 films in the past 12 months - 

very productive and hard working people

it is a market that has mushroomed from almost nothing.

These people are the Purdeys/slocums of this century and have more than earned their star performances at boat shows

Goodonem!

 

Dylan

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dylan winter said:

incidentally

 

Delos are grossing a tad more than $5K per month

Delos has 2000 patreons coughing up at least $5 per film

$10,000 per film

75 films in the past 12 months - 

very productive and hard working people

it is a market that has mushroomed from almost nothing.

These people are the Purdeys/slocums of this century and have more than earned their star performances at boat shows

Goodonem!

Dylan

And good on you too, mate. You have done an amazing job so far, and I for one hope we haven't seen the end of KTL. My suspicion is that your stuff will have a better 'shelf life' than the bikinis and aquapigs. Think on this (though it's likely not a comfort): The best/most famous painters became so AFTER they started pushing up daisies.

Please take in the spirit intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy anchors in area with large wakes from ferries going past nearby, doesn't use snubber because "it's not common practice in the Med", anchor windlass fails and releases the entire chain and boat washes up on rocks. Then he hires a "salvage" company that's more like a wrecking company, dragging the boat over the rocks, separating keel from hull. The explanation of what happened starts at 5:30.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 4:36 PM, Panoramix said:

How do you deal with Genoa blocks, mainsheet attachment, etc...?

We teach people common sense. If you can't walk around without tripping over everything on deck then you should wear shoes. But you don't have to wreak it for those that aren't challenged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tylo said:

Guy anchors in area with large wakes from ferries going past nearby, doesn't use snubber because "it's not common practice in the Med", anchor windlass fails and releases the entire chain and boat washes up on rocks. Then he hires a "salvage" company that's more like a wrecking company, dragging the boat over the rocks, separating keel from hull. The explanation of what happened starts at 5:30.

 

I really liked the way all the float bags were tied so they were at the surface, doing nothing to lift the boat until she sank to the gunnels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

We teach people common sense.

I must have been away for that lesson.....

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longy said:

I really liked the way all the float bags were tied so they were at the surface, doing nothing to lift the boat until she sank to the gunnels.

Didn’t watch, but when I had *ahem* a grounding experience, I sobered up my personal professional salvage expert / brother enough to convince me that float bags are not much use in shallow water.  In that case, we had a sandy bottom and safely kedged ourselves off. But otherwise, it seems that a crane pick from a barge is the way to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I must have been away for that lesson.....

FKT

I have always wondered as parents if we should teach our sons to wash their hands after pissing, or to teach them not to piss on their hands.     

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I have always wondered as parents if we should teach our sons to wash their hands after pissing, or to teach them not to piss on their hands.     

You should teach them to wash their genitals at least once a week and then get down to the fine points, like not shitting on your feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I have always wondered as parents if we should teach our sons to wash their hands after pissing, or to teach them not to piss on their hands.     

I rather think that a large number of posters on this web site failed or were never instructed in toilet etiquette. Judging by the trails they leave....

Wonder if Panoramix ever worked out why I don't kick my toes on any of the hardware he listed. Probably not.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 5:32 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Imagine Lin and Larry Pardey trying to “sell” the appeal of sailing a wooden boat, or at least the “go simple, go small, go now” thing.  Ain’t gonna work.  53’ Amel dialled in for satellite links, nothing less for dreamers!!! :-) :-)

 

Sailing Uma: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXbWsGV_cjG3gOsSnNJPVlg

Maybe these Kids have the answer to "go simple go small go now" with the ability to communicate in 2019.

We watch regularly - Sail far more than they motor.  Small affordable boat they have fixed themselves etc, etc.  Maybe they will Make enough from their Youtube life to buy an Amel but for now I like their approach.  Makes me question why we were shopping at the Annapolis show  when maybe what we need to do is to go back to simple small and now............

As an aside, Almost comical watching the YouTubers at the show with their identical cameras, recorders, and fuzzy microphones  mingling with the crowd . .  they appeared very uncomfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mainefarr43 said:

This girl used to be on Delos, of which I'm a big fan. I'll ask: wtf is she talking about?

 

meanwhile

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mainefarr43 said:

This girl used to be on Delos, of which I'm a big fan. I'll ask: wtf is she talking about?

 

Think of it as, like, y’know, yeah, well, like a really dumbed down version of the Diary of Samuel Pepys.  I made it only through 2:00 —two minutes of my life I’ll never get back! —where the punchline of her vid occurs (between 1:50-2:00).  I see it as sort of a personal diary, made public a la YouTube.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dull old Mads

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

 

with his endless pointless fettling  blown out of the water by the new kids on the block who have waded in with their armies of paper suited pro workers

 

170,000 views in a couple of days

  These two are showing that you can save an old boat not be dedicating ten years to reburbishing it but by chucking a tonne of money at it

-  is  this is good for sailing as the amatuer fettlers have been swept aside?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy's channel is getting more and more fun. It took a nice and unexpected turn.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Dull old Mads

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

 

with his endless pointless fettling  blown out of the water by the new kids on the block who have waded in with their armies of paper suited pro workers

 

170,000 views in a couple of days

  These two are showing that you can save an old boat not be dedicating ten years to reburbishing it but by chucking a tonne of money at it

-  is  this is good for sailing as the amatuer fettlers have been swept aside?

 

 

 

the sooner they get that boat out of the shed, into wrm water and the cute girl in a bikini the better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope the name of that boat is "Tangerine Dream."  

I can dig it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, leuk said:

This guy's channel is getting more and more fun. It took a nice and unexpected turn.

 

 

Hugo is great. Very down to earth, highly skilled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Dull old Mads

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

 

with his endless pointless fettling  blown out of the water by the new kids on the block who have waded in with their armies of paper suited pro workers

 

170,000 views in a couple of days

  These two are showing that you can save an old boat not be dedicating ten years to reburbishing it but by chucking a tonne of money at it

-  is  this is good for sailing as the amatuer fettlers have been swept aside?

 

 

 

They are also doing a fair bit of the work themselves, like cleaning out multiple diesel tanks .

they have set a deadline and are working to that, rather than muddling along themselves, it is more the way most of us work...

and they are paying for labour in Brazil, which I suspect is still affordable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dylan 

have you seen roger Barnes’ videos on dinghy cruising through England ? I think you would enjoy them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 12:46 AM, dylan winter said:

  These two are showing that you can save an old boat not be dedicating ten years to reburbishing it but by chucking a tonne of money at it

-  is  this is good for sailing as the amatuer fettlers have been swept aside?

 

 

 

These two have a certain charm and if they have the money I see nothing wrong with getting some professional help. I am curious where the funds are coming from, but have not gone through all their videos so perhaps the answer is there somewhere. I would be more concerned about their focus on cosmetics. Eight coats of orange paint is nice, but the rig is a mess, the sails are shot, everything leaks, and so far the motor is an unknown. They also do not strike me as experienced sailors, and have chosen a big heavy complex boat. All said I hope they can splash and sail the thing, but the first scrape on that shiny paint will be a sad lesson in boat reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, steele said:

These two have a certain charm and if they have the money I see nothing wrong with getting some professional help. I am curious where the funds are coming from, but have not gone through all their videos so perhaps the answer is there somewhere. I would be more concerned about their focus on cosmetics. Eight coats of orange paint is nice, but the rig is a mess, the sails are shot, everything leaks, and so far the motor is an unknown. They also do not strike me as experienced sailors, and have chosen a big heavy complex boat. All said I hope they can splash and sail the thing, but the first scrape on that shiny paint will be a sad lesson in boat reality.

They're Youtubers, of course they're gonna focus on cosmetics first. Gotta have a pretty boat for the camera. Also, to the extent they neglect the rigging, sails, leaks, and motor, it just makes for better drama later in the series when shit breaks and they "almost die!!!!".

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps, but after the last post I saw the vid of them cleaning the diesel tanks and have a newfound respect for their tenacity. Why the boat has 10 tanks is another matter, but a week on your hands and knees in that toxic enviroment scrubing away is more work than I have seen in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, steele said:

Perhaps, but after the last post I saw the vid of them cleaning the diesel tanks and have a newfound respect for their tenacity. Why the boat has 10 tanks is another matter, but a week on your hands and knees in that toxic enviroment scrubing away is more work than I have seen in a while.

Might be just a leeetttle hint about its sailing qualities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Might be just a leeetttle hint about its sailing qualities?

The boat looks like shit but she is cute as a button!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this one ticks all the boxes

A list of  things (10 woud be a better number)

The word Hack

A girl in a uber tight cut-offs holding a plunger

how can you not watch it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

how can you not watch it?

It's easier than you think.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've learned that the thumbnail is the best part of the videos. It's saved me a lot of time and disappointment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dylan winter said:

this one ticks all the boxes

A list of  things (10 woud be a better number)

The word Hack

A girl in a uber tight cut-offs holding a phallic shaped object

how can you not watch it?

 

ftfy, she's simultaneously cradling the balls and holding the shaft.

16 hours ago, IStream said:

I've learned that the thumbnail is the best part of the videos. It's saved me a lot of time and disappointment.

Yeah it really isn't that hard for some. But god damn, most people I know watch shit like this only for the chicks. I have a few friends who have never sailed and never take up invites to come despite the fact we have a couple good looking girls on-board, even though they give me constant updates on Elay and Co.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 2:09 AM, mainefarr43 said:

This girl used to be on Delos, of which I'm a big fan. I'll ask: wtf is she talking about?

 

8 minutes of verbal diarrhoea inter dispersed with pulling at her clothing to show of her new age tattoos.

Her father should have pulled out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

goodoner

she is running an ocean plastics survey

being a life time twin keeler owner running aground is not much of a thing

 

however, bit of shock to see how much plastic she is picking up in a half hour trawl

 

not good science - but good communication

 

well done that woman

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around the UK in a ex-knackered Avon Searider - the original RIB. Pre jockey seats, so a real back killer. Bit of an oops on the first night, but more (well made) vids to come.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I offer up this interview with Steve Callahan, author of “Adrift”, as absolutely the ultimate antithesis to “Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place” type videos. :-) :-)  :-)

Just finished re-reading Steve’s book, many, many years after first reading it (as a 20-something year old, gift from my dad).  Haven’t watched the interview yet, just came across it —but this is certainly one of the most incredible sea survival situations and one of the best sea stories ever written.  (I almost feel like every person going to cross an ocean should read it to get a “spiritual” yet also highly practical perspective on the sea. And THEN watch episode 1 of girl-with-Patreon-account-goes-sailing :-) )  
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw myself what Ed posted above - KTR, in a small RIB.

Copying - or stealing - is the sincerest flattery, eh Dylan?

That said - in no way will that guy approach the beauty and quality that is KTL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I offer up this interview with Steve Callahan, author of “Adrift”, as absolutely the ultimate antithesis to “Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place” type videos. :-) :-)  :-)

Just finished re-reading Steve’s book, many, many years after first reading it (as a 20-something year old, gift from my dad).  Haven’t watched the interview yet, just came across it —but this is certainly one of the most incredible sea survival situations and one of the best sea stories ever written.  (I almost feel like every person going to cross an ocean should read it to get a “spiritual” yet also highly practical perspective on the sea. And THEN watch episode 1 of girl-with-Patreon-account-goes-sailing :-) )  
 

Great interview, thanks for sharing! 

I was also given a copy of Adrift in my 20s by a 'helpful' friend who wanted to put me off doing the ARC. It worked for a time, but eventually backfired. I've never done a fully crewed cruise in company to the Caribbean, but am fully hooked on solo ocean racing.

My favourite quote from the book is this:

Quote

"One of the most frequent questions that I'm asked is, "Do you still sail after all that?" My reply is simply, "What else would I do?" After a decade of doing nothing but messing around in boats, I cannot imagine suddenly launching a career as an astrophysicist or a Bowery bum. The sea is my work place, my playground, and my home. It has offered me a pathway to more disciplines than I can ever master. Oceanography, aerodynamics, astronomy, and common-sense problem solving are essential parts of sailing; hydrodynamics, physics, engineering, and intuitive extrapolation are essential to boat design; craftsmanship, metallurgy, forestry, and plastics technology are ingredients of boatbuilding. I am a jack-of-all-trades who has a passion for exploration. Where else can I find a place where knowing very little about a lot of things is so useful? Where else can I find such a great frontier within such easy reach?"

I was keen to see what else the interviewer had to offer on his channel, but sadly it is mostly about UFOs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CapnK said:

Just saw myself what Ed posted above - KTR, in a small RIB.

Copying - or stealing - is the sincerest flattery, eh Dylan?

That said - in no way will that guy approach the beauty and quality that is KTL.

 

he makes very good films indeed

and excellent drone footage as well

I have met quite a few people ribbing around the UK

my goodness  they miss a lot of wonderful scenery as they whoosh around

not my cup of tea

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2019 at 9:28 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I offer up this interview with Steve Callahan, author of “Adrift”, as absolutely the ultimate antithesis to “Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place” type videos. :-) :-)  :-)

Just finished re-reading Steve’s book, many, many years after first reading it (as a 20-something year old, gift from my dad).  Haven’t watched the interview yet, just came across it —but this is certainly one of the most incredible sea survival situations and one of the best sea stories ever written.  (I almost feel like every person going to cross an ocean should read it to get a “spiritual” yet also highly practical perspective on the sea. And THEN watch episode 1 of girl-with-Patreon-account-goes-sailing :-) )  
 

 

    I had the pleasure to sail with Callahan in one of the old Tradewinds races for Multihulls down in St Martin. It was sponsored by Hawaiian Tropic and had been shortened from the longer races that went well Down Island to just a day race up to the rock/island near St Barts and then down and around Saba and then up the lee sides of Statia and St Kitts to an overnight in Nevis. Next day was a screaming tradewind max VMG reach drag race straight back to Phillipsburg on Dutch St Martin.

    I flew into St Martin to join a French built Newick 42 wingmast rigged tri that Gold Coast had in their brokerage fleet. The head honchos a GC had brought the tri down in hopes of attracting a buyer and Steve had joined them. It was a rush to fly in and get to the boat the morning of the start and when I boarded the boat was so focused on 'learning the ropes' and getting familiar with a powerful boat that had recently done the Route du Rhum and OSTAR so when I was introduced to Steve I really didn't connect him with the ADRIFT book and his astounding story of survival. My 'tunnel vision' towards getting the most out of the boat in the race resulted in me only half listening to a discussion between Steve and the other crew about the part of the story where Steve pokes a hole in his inflatable life raft with the small speargun he had been fortunate to have on board. I was helming and just about to overtake one of our rivals and when we had made our pass of the other boat I freed up a few of my brain cells from full on race mode and head the last comments about the struggle with the fish and the resulting damage to the liferaft. 

    I still had no idea that I was hearing the first hand story straight from the horses mouth and said something to the effect that any fool who tries spear fishing from an inflatable liferaft must be a bit daft!...

    Everyone went silent and Roger came to relieve me to take his stint at the helm and said 'Once again, I'd like to introduce you to none other that Steve Callahan...'

    As it dawned on me I reached down and grabbed my ankle and went through the motions of trying to put my foot in my mouth.

 

Image result for stick your foot in your mouth

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering Why is every youtuber sailing vlog buying Precision Sails ? outside  the sailing  vlogging world  nada...or is this more a question in GA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Just wondering Why is every youtuber sailing vlog buying Precision Sails ? outside  the sailing  vlogging world  nada...or is this more a question in GA? 

Because they are among the cheapest online order firms that produce somewhat useful sails. As you know, most of these vloggers are on a very tight budget except for the biggest names like Delos, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Because they are among the cheapest online order firms that produce somewhat useful sails. As you know, most of these vloggers are on a very tight budget except for the biggest names like Delos, etc.

Precision has been sponsoring Delos for awhile, or atleast giving them screaming deals as their official sail "Partner".  Social media influencing at work.

They're also the ones that turn their old bagged out sails into duffels.

https://www.precisionsailloft.com/hardware/product/sv-delos-mainsail-up-cycled-duffel-bag/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how about these two

she got seasick en route to med

so going down the french canals and telling you what it is like

last week they got towed off a shallow bit by a barge

the camera catches all sorts of interesting things along the way

 

they are not using patreon but using this

https://www.ko-fi.com/wildlingssailing

They are doing two films a week

they are quirky and fairly simple

they are using music for which I assume youtube thinks it owns the rights - so they are doing unpaid work for google

a bit like being  internes

 

to survive they need to be hitting an average of 50,000 hits per film

at the moment they are averaging 2,000 to 6,000

can they survive as youtube only project?

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this one? A Kiwi, his Mongolian partner and her sister sailing the world on a catamaran

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 12:33 PM, dylan winter said:

goodoner

she is running an ocean plastics survey

well done that woman

D

Dylan,  I see you’ve caught up with Nike & ‘Karl’.    She’s quite exquisite.   Beautiful, smart and determined to become a solo offshore sailor.   She’s rehabbing a serious foot injury (kitesurfing)?so not much from her    till next spring most likely.

Holly Martin, ‘Wind Hippie Sailing’ is definitely one to watch.  Easily the most accomplished young sailor (27 years old) of the YTube/Instagram crowd.  She’s off on her first solo circumnavigation and has a relaxed, easy way about her.  Daughter of Dave & JaJa Martin - top notch cruisers.  Holly’s ’s the real deal.
 

At 3 mins she gives some backstory on growing up in blue water sailing family.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Holly I think not Molly. Or maybe Hollie.

Yes! Holly!   Thank you - I’m tired and didn’t proof that posting.  

She was recommended by Nike & what a find.   Very enjoyable young sailor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bearded guy with YouTube account goes hiking in cold place 

What if he met the girl with Patreon account going sailing in a warm place?  Would he show her his new axe and make a video about it?  Or would she win the battle of wits and seduce him aboard her too-comfortable sailing vessel in warm seas?  Stay tuned for next season...

I randomly came across this channel (or just maybe it was a sophisticated YouTube algorithm that suggested it to me... :-) ), and enjoy some of his take on things, like a sailor preaching the virtues of simplicity and nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Bearded guy with YouTube account goes hiking in cold place 

What if he met the girl with Patreon account going sailing in a warm place?  Would he show her his new axe and make a video about it?  Or would she win the battle of wits and seduce him aboard her too-comfortable sailing vessel in warm seas?  Stay tuned for next season...

I randomly came across this channel (or just maybe it was a sophisticated YouTube algorithm that suggested it to me... :-) ), and enjoy some of his take on things, like a sailor preaching the virtues of simplicity and nature.

fucking hipster who lives in fairy tale 

how do i know? 

he uses very high quality gear :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, leuk said:

This guy's channel is getting more and more fun. It took a nice and unexpected turn.

 

 

the only good video ive seen so far here.  Respect to all people who sail out anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, troll99 said:

fucking hipster who lives in fairy tale 

how do i know? 

he uses very high quality gear :D

 

He’s also apparently a very successful novelist in Norway ( and formerly a champion power lifter, career cut short by a car accident).  Interesting character.  Apparently a sailor as well.  Something about his approach to life seemed to me to be similar to a sailing/cruising outlook.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

The modern-day Viking has a response to that (delivered ironically and appropriately through his YouTube channel, where has celebrated reaching 100,000 subscribers.  Even he isn’t immune from all-pervasive social media addiction...)

:-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites