dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

12 hours ago, dylan winter said:

this girl had all her stuff nicked at gunpoint

Fucking low life thieves, may they suffer and die young.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:10 AM, dylan winter said:

This girl had all her stuff nicked at gunpoint

Well she doesn't say that, just that she was robbed. Far more common to have somebody steal your stuff while you are ashore or asleep rather than somebody pointing a gun at her.

And the usual way to get your stuff back is offer a no questions asked reward OR if the locals know sailors bring in a lot to the local economy, spread the word around and the local folks will often know who is the culprit and have a a friendly chat with them. 

^Too true, our friends got a cell phone stolen during St Patrick's in Melaque MX, a little $ and some patience and they got it back.  The communites can help sometimes if you have the time.  I hope she gets her stuff back or some of it.  Hopefully she is actively monitoring Noonsite or something similar for piracy reports. Hoping for the best has probably never worked out, but there are shitheads everywhere and you can live in fear or keep on keeping on.

5 hours ago, Zonker said:

...the local folks will often know who is the culprit and have a a friendly chat with them. 

Exactly what happened on one of Holly’s earlier anchorages.  

Woke up to yelling and fighting on boat next to her.  Continues onto beach after a thief jumps off boat and swims to beach.   Met by more locals who gave him a tarring.  

Seems this creep had been hitting boats for awhile and locals were doing stake outs nitely untill they finally caught him.

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

Well she doesn't say that, just that she was robbed. Far more common to have somebody steal your stuff while you are ashore or asleep rather than somebody pointing a gun at her.

And the usual way to get your stuff back is offer a no questions asked reward OR if the locals know sailors bring in a lot to the local economy, spread the word around and the local folks will often know who is the culprit and have a a friendly chat with them. 

try the second film - it there that she talks about guns

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

try the second film - it there that she talks about guns

This one.  Sounds like the PayPal account is working and she'll soon replace her stolen stuff and continue.  She expects remote anchorages in the South Pacific to be safer...  I don't know about that, but there are brazen waterfront thieves all over Hawaii.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:
2 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

there are brazen waterfront thieves all over everywhere.

hardly any in the slices of blighty I have seen so far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

What’s that old expression about England and her North American offspring?  Two countries separated by a common language?  :-)  (I restrained meself, but then had to look up the meaning of “slice of blighty” !)

On 11/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, dylan winter said:

Directly proportional to the quality and quantity  of the goods available to steal 

9038B6BF-0468-46CC-B1C8-3CD4FAB0996D.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, dylan winter said:

Ahhh, but Dylan, I seem to recall you were visited by some tea leaves in your back garden shed...no? I submit there are bad actors everywhere, but considerably less in some parts of the world.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:08 AM, dylan winter said:

incidentally

Delos are grossing a tad more than $5K per month

Delos has 2000 patreons coughing up at least $5 per film

$10,000 per film

75 films in the past 12 months - 

very productive and hard working people

it is a market that has mushroomed from almost nothing.

These people are the Purdeys/slocums of this century and have more than earned their star performances at boat shows

Goodonem!

Dylan

Agree. They are doing their thing and being successful with it. There is nothing wrong with that. I didn't like them initially with all the bro-speak and some of the other nonsense but they have grown up and become really good at video for Youtube. Some of their shots are simply spectacular. The core team on that boat seem like genuinely nice people with a positive outlook and they are more of a force for good in the world than most of the other crap I read in the news every day. Anybody that goes 75000 miles on a sailboat deserves respect from the likes of me.

28 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

^See my post just above about the “boss old man” :-)

he can also have respect for the mileage

- but his videos are not very good whereas delos videos are very well made

39 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

^See my post just above about the “boss old man” :-)

I did. That dude is a different breed of cat. Life live without a net.

30 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

he can also have respect for the mileage

- but his videos are not very good whereas delos videos are very well made

To be diplomatic, that’s a gargantuan understatement.  Rimas is penniless dude with a cell phone camera; his style is stream-of-consciousness —but I don’t think he’s intending it at all it, and he doesn’t sound like he has much consciousness... :) 

Perhaps his latest rescue (see below) after “disappearing” at sea and then being rescued, hungry, by Vietnamese fishermen, and time in a homeless shelter in Vietnam will yield some interesting vids to give Delos a run for their money :) . (I can’t believe he hasn’t taken to YouTube and Patreon for handouts.)

https://www.dailyastorian.com/life/in_one_ear/in-one-ear-rimas-returns/article_037e3404-0c68-11e9-89ea-df3dd122b01c.html

On 11/11/2019 at 3:36 AM, dylan winter said:

12,000 views in 24 hours

on fitting a spray hood

Floriduh Man personified ;-)

4 hours ago, jewingiv said:

Well that's one way to pick up a larger audience and mebbe gain a few more patreons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Veeger said:

Well that's one way to pick up a larger audience and mebbe gain a few more patreons.

A metric shitton of new patreons. 

3 minutes ago, dacapo said:

A metric shitton of new patreons. 

Yeah. I wonder why they did it

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Yeah. I wonder why they did it

how about because they are good people who care

I hope they do not get any death threats - the Trumpists came after me for mentioning the orange one in a film or two

D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I hope they do not get any death threats - the Trumpists came after me for mentioning the orange one in a film or two

D

Smart commercial decision, nothing more. As for death threats, what the fuck is wrong with some people. There will always be some I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Smart commercial decision, nothing more. As for death threats, what the fuck is wrong with some people. There will always be some I suppose.

I think you should cut them some slack - la vag I mean ...  not  the Trumpists

Of course, la vag do around the planet a fair  bit......carbon footprints and all that

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I think you should cut them some slack - la vag I mean ...  not  the Trumpists

Of course, la vag do around the planet a fair  bit......carbon footprints and all that

I don't see where I was being harsh on La V - a smart commercial decision, they'll pick up another section of audience they may not already have. Please downvote this too Proa

16 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

Is gretta gonna crap in a bucket on that fancy cat?

Greta does not excrete.

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Greta does not excrete.

That is correct.  She merely recycles.  Think human centipede.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, dylan winter said:

D

+1, I find this modern assumption that people necessarily have hidden agenda depressing.

Sure they will get extra patreons and that must have influenced their decision, nevertheless they might also like the idea of helping a cause important to them. TBH if I had been lucky enough in a position to help with time on my hands, I would probably have done it. Apart sex you can't do much better than having some fun sailing while upsetting old nationalistic geezers showing them that there is an alternative to burning dead dinosaurs to cross oceans.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

eccentric little film from Goran about getting his 18 footer ashore before the winter comes

I like it.  Vastly more charm and originality than most of the stuff thrown up on YouTube by annoying couples blabbering on about their travels or, as the case may be, travails, while “showing off” the wife.

• Like 1

Nice enough pair here

but there are signs of material running a bit thin now  that they are sailing in a coold place

this is their second biggest hitting film

16 minutes ago, chester said:

going bare...aluminum...thumbnail fuckery...:angry:

it works though

and they have leveraged things well and are now sailing somewhere cold and interesting - but a place where the weather can close in for days and there is not much to  film other than the greyness or each other emoting about the greyness

and yet they have to hit that weekly deadline for the patreonistas

very tough thing to do I think because  when northern sailing weather goes tits up there is little to  do other than siit below and read a  good book

while sipping whisky

nice to do

but dull stuff to film

D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

very tough thing to do I think because  when northern sailing weather goes tits up there is little to  do other than siit below and read a  good book

while sipping whisky  a good red

FTFY.

Yeah, same down here. It's been shit since Monday evening.

FKT

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

and yet they have to hit that weekly deadline for the patreonistas

while sipping whisky

nice to do

but dull stuff to film

Speaking of that - wintering north aboard.  Great book you might enjoy, Dylan.  Two actually.

-North to the Night, by Alvah Simon 

And, less extreme but also exploring the “topic” of hibernating , or at least slowing down to winter’s pace while wintering aboard, the book “Ice Blink” (by Dave and Jaja Martin, parents of of the young woman doing “Wind Hippy Sailing”, whose YT vids are here [this thread], I think.)  Both good winter reads - put away the friggin camera, MJ Sailing, no more selfies, you’re not that incredible looking or that interesting to listen to - take in the winter scenery, and hibernate :-) )

But, now, that won’t make patreonistas happy and pay the bills, and nor does it scratch the wow-look-at-us exhibitionist itch, does it  :-)

Clad in shiny new weather resistant and very expensive plastic clothing made of petroleum by-products, bravely crossing oceans in a luxurious $500K+ plastic boat using plastic sails (or dinosaur juice) for propulsion, all while declaiming the impact of the human footprint on Gaia by scolding and scowling at the rest of us in our tired old foulies and sub-$20K 4ksb'es...

Dichotomy, irony, hyprocrisy - or perhaps some measure of them all?

So it goes...

• Like 3

Why don't you do the calculations to compare the environmental cost of a plastic sailboat that will last for decades with the CO2 emitted by two transatlantic flights.

At least she's doing something to raise awareness of climate change.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Why don't you do the calculations to compare the environmental cost of a plastic sailboat that will last for decades with the CO2 emitted by two transatlantic flights.

At least she's doing something to raise awareness of climate change.

goodonya

she is doing more than us hypocrital old farts who think very little about flying  1000 miles  just for a week of heat or to see a new grandchild

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

goodonya

she is doing more than us hypocrital old farts who think very little about flying  1000 miles  just for a week of heat or to see a new grandchild

Careful about stirring up the hornet’s nest of those who don’t see a mere 16 year old school girl trying to do something bold.   (Tax cuts for giant corporations isn’t bold :-) )They’ll rip you to shreds for being in a secret plot with the New World Order, etc.  And, more importantly, get this great thread you started sentenced to a bitter end in the cesspool of Political Anarchy!  :-) :-)

46 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

PA ain't that bad

there is some excellent prose there

as well as some world ranking  ass hats

D

Yes - you are right.  Take the rough with the smooth, as they say (it’s the ad hominem attacks there I’ve no patience for).  But it would be a shame for this thread to be consigned there by the stern moderators :-) only to wither into oblivion as a shouting match.

On the theme of the north, the modern Viking, Erik The YouTuber, details his gear for next year’s Greenland trip.  He seems well suited for YT - he’s telegenic, has got an actor’s voice, a smooth presentation, and he’s quite passionate about his subject and films and edits well (apologies if I’ve already posted upthread; can’t recall):

This isn't about sailing but it's an insightful analysis of his YouTube audience with regard to gender and age.

As for La Vagabonde and Greta...

• Position: 32º 38.995n, 70º 25.162w  (32.64985,-70.41937)
  • Speed: 7.7 kts
  • Heading: 76 degrees true

lv_2019Nov16a.thumb.jpg.7beaab362d854b793895ca41e4729f32.jpg

https://www.windy.com/?32.923,-70.030,8,m:ezAaedN

Wind: SW 14 knots gusting to 32 knots, Waves: SE 7 feet at 6 secs.

Forecast for Sunday evening (at their current location) is Wind: SW 21 knots gusting to 32 knots, Waves: SE 13 feet at 6 secs.(!!)

Hope they stay clear of this event next Thursday:

lv_2019Nov16b.thumb.jpg.6673ea9f947e4610e12e2c6090c32a50.jpg

On 11/15/2019 at 7:11 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yes - you are right.  Take the rough with the smooth, as they say (it’s the ad hominem attacks there I’ve no patience for).  But it would be a shame for this thread to be consigned there by the stern moderators :-) only to wither into oblivion as a shouting match.

On the theme of the north, the modern Viking, Erik The YouTuber, details his gear for next year’s Greenland trip.  He seems well suited for YT - he’s telegenic, has got an actor’s voice, a smooth presentation, and he’s quite passionate about his subject and films and edits well (apologies if I’ve already posted upthread; can’t recall):

That boom brake is shaky looking.   Line twists and you are in some major sheit.

Never seen one of these.   Common in Norway?

20 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

That boom brake is shaky looking.   Line twists and you are in some major sheit.

Never seen one of these.   Common in Norway?

It seems like he’s getting to learn how to use his - I recall in the vid he realizes the line he’s used isn’t quite right?

My boat, built in Quebec, came with a Walder brand one (like his).  I always sort of assumed they’re more of a “Euro thing”, not really having seen them much in North America.  I just came across the “figure 8” type, which is very simple - just a friction device with no moving parts adapted from old-style climbers’ rappel devices (which puts friction on rope as you descend).  See: https://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/gear/gear-on-test/boom-brakes/

Not sure why they’re not commonly seen in N. America.  Seems like a good idea for a singlehander, though. 

29 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It seems like he’s getting to learn how to use his - I recall in the vid he realizes the line he’s used isn’t quite right?

My boat, built in Quebec, came with a Walder brand one (like his).  I always sort of assumed they’re more of a “Euro thing”, not really having seen them much in North America.  I just came across the “figure 8” type, which is very simple - just a friction device with no moving parts adapted from old-style climbers’ rappel devices (which puts friction on rope as you descend).  See: https://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/gear/gear-on-test/boom-brakes/

Not sure why they’re not commonly seen in N. America.  Seems like a good idea for a singlehander, though. 

Right, he changes line for, supposedly, better results.   Online reviews of the Walder are generally favorable but, if you use it also as boom vang, it gets tricky using it.  Vang on?  Then you release Walder a bit then jibe.   Sounds workable as both vang/brake. Maybe not.

He’s taking his vang off.   Less clutter.  The amount of line used on the Walther adds to the spaghetti on deck tho.  Plus you have one less winch available.

Erik the Viking does have an impressive adventure set for May.   Going for it.   Excellent.

Johan the Viking (Ran Sailing) and buddy go South.   These guys kick ass:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

As a singlehand sailor,  I have one,  the figure 8 kind. 

In some of his earlier videos I don't think he was using any kind of preventer, in the conditions he's often out in I'd imagine poorly controlled or unintentional jibe with the boom/sail smacking up against shrouds etc. could be pretty disastrous.  So he wanted to do something I suppose.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's getting some deals on some of the gear he uses since it's a type of sponsorship for him to show off or demonstrate the gear as he did with the wireless wind instrument in an earlier video, and he does with the Raymarine wireless radar in this one, the hydrovane etc.

I assume this happens especially with the big name sailing vlogs with the gear they prominently display, sails, batteries, dinghies and what not?  Anyone know details?

not for me

but then I sail shit boats slowly

I once thought I had negotiated a cheap marina fee for the winter .... until I spoke to my dock neighbour and realised that I was paying more than him.

I think that unless you are getting hundreds of thousands of hits making films cuts no mustard with the makers of marine gear.

D

Sponsorships can be wierd, and not necessarily tied into number of views. If you can put together a good proposal and you have a well engaged audience (on the basis of ratio of viewers to people commenting etc) generally sponsors will get onboard. Companies have a yearly budget that they need to spend on advertising, and it's far cheaper to give some free stuff to someone with 10k odd people following them than to put an ad in a magazine etc... This is absolutely huge on Instagram. 

I don't have any sponsors, but in the past with different projects not youtube/boat related i have worked with sponsors, and find that free gear is rarely worth the effort and control you give the sponsors over what you are saying. Plus you have to keep the content moving all the time. I've enjoyed taking time off videos, not sure if i had sponsors i would have had that luxury.

Wouldn't say no to a free radar though... :lol:

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

not for me

I once thought I had negotiated a cheap marina fee for the winter .... until I spoke to my dock neighbour and realised that I was paying more than him.

I think that unless you are getting hundreds of thousands of hits making films cuts no mustard with the makers of marine gear.

D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrickTopHarry said:

wouldn't surprise me if he's getting some deals on some of the gear he uses since it's a type of sponsorship for him 
or him to show off or demonstrate the gear as he did with the wireless wind instrument in an earlier video, and he does with the Raymarine wireless radar in this one, the hydrovane etc.

I assume this happens especially with the big name sailing vlogs with the gear they prominently display, sails, batteries, dinghies and what not?  Anyone know details?

I watched it several days ago, but I seem to recall he says exactly this in that vid - sponsors provided the stuff he displayed.  Mind you, he also says he‘s owned the boat for like 15 years (and it’s old, like 1970s —which for many of us isn’t “old”; rather, it means affordable!), and only now has replaced leaking foredeck hatch.  A quick glimpse at his channel shows he’s been making vids for a few years, starting small. Based on his cam set up, drones, and quality of the editing/footage (let alone the risks he’s taken), I’d say he’s maybe earned it :-)

Oh yeah no question I don’t begrudge these Youtube sailors getting gear donations or discounts from sponsors at all, especially if it makes their operation safer and makes them less reliant on individual donors.  If I recall Erik still has a regular job, some kind of Coast Guard or Marine rescue kind of thing.

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

not for me

D

Sailing Kittiwake (your mildly emoting phone sanitizers) scored a new dinghy and a brand-new desalinator from Osmosea and they only have around 19k subscribers.

Dinghy? Eh.  Desalinator? That's a big gift.

55 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Sailing Kittiwake (your mildly emoting phone sanitizers) scored a new dinghy and a brand-new desalinator from Osmosea and they only have around 19k subscribers.

Dinghy? Eh.  Desalinator? That's a big gift.

I used to write headlines

and my words now sound cruel

apologies all round

as for the corporate presents....

I guess as on aold sailor I have enough sailing stuff... a shed full of old sailing crud - and two dinghies.

I did accidentally throw my mainsail away so am having a Waverly gunter rig mainsail cut down to Minstrel dimensions

I fear my films are not aspirational enough

https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/sailing-around-britain/waverly-sail-to-minstrel-sail/

"old bloke accidentally throws away mainsail and re-cuts an old one down"

The New York Times has been running s series on the big business of "social media influence."  All of this sailing stuff is very small beans compared to the people profiled in that series.  Yet... for the life of me, I cannot figure out what it is that most of them do, or why people watch them doing itOne group kids who - apparently sit in their rooms and play video games? - has a staff of 70 and is aspiring for a $G in annual revenue.  

Edit: I suppose the corollary here is that every company of any size anywhere (including marine manufacturers) is now supposed to have a designated social media manager. There may be specific person in each organization who's job it is to get their products onto videos.  The math probably varies from product to product.  For example, I believe I've seen fine print at the bottom of spam from a clothing brand that specifically states that their magic number for sending out free stuff is 30K followers.  

Did you read this one?  (I think it was linked from the NYT story, says my wife who sent this to me.)

https://www.outsideonline.com/2404743/cory-second-chance-mcdonald-pct

Guy gets literally stalked, several times, almost literally in the “middle of nowhere”.  Because those people were following his YT channel.  (Imagine, some idiot shows up in Dylan’s anchorage, adamant that, based on watching his vids, he’s just not prepared to keep turning left and he’s come to save him !!!!! :-) :-)  )

I wonder, will there be some kind of reaction to this shift in the “culture”, of broadcasting oneself?  Or will the trend keep growing?  (I, for one, have no interest in doing so - but perhaps if I had a particularly interesting story to tell I might?)

9 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Did you read this one?  (I think it was linked from the NYT story, says my wife who sent this to me.)

https://www.outsideonline.com/2404743/cory-second-chance-mcdonald-pct

Guy gets literally stalked, several times, almost literally in the “middle of nowhere”.  Because those people were following his YT channel.  (Imagine, some idiot shows up in Dylan’s anchorage, adamant that, based on watching his vids, he’s just not prepared to keep turning left and he’s come to save him !!!!! :-) :-)  )

I wonder, will there be some kind of reaction to this shift in the “culture”, of broadcasting oneself?  Or will the trend keep growing?  (I, for one, have no interest in doing so - but perhaps if I had a particularly interesting story to tell I might?)

I get about ten sailors a year turn up in the estuary - many from holland, a few frenchhmen. They send me an email and either I row over with a bottle of scotch or invite them over for a meal

lovely people.

I have had death threats from trumpists though for mentioning that there are similarities between Trump and Hitler.

It was not nice to see that people hope that I will die

D

The whole PCT thing has become very, very strange, and a good example of people "loving" something to death.  I hiked some of the PCT as a teenager - 100 or 200 miles each year.  You might see one other  person each day.  You might not.   Now, you'll probably see a hundred. Many hundred if near a popular trailhead.  Designated camp grounds, pre-fab bridges over all the stream crossings.  Screams of kids echoing through the canyons. Might as well take a walk downtown. The difficulty with intercepting a YouTuber would be fiiguring out WHICH ONE of them you're looking for.

IDK how much of it has to do with YouTube, or "that movie," but there is a continuous stream of tourists that walk out on to the "Bridge of the Gods" all day every day.  There is nothing special about this bridge, except you have to cross it to link up to the next segment of trail on the other side of the Columbia.  There is no walkway. It's just a nasty steel mesh-deck bridge with two narrow lanes, a lot of traffic - and now a continuous freak-show of day-trippers walking (or wheel-chairing!) down the middle of the road to take a selfie.  The SAME selfie that thousands of other people post on-line every day.  (There are half a dozen spots near me where these lemming-like line-ups go on all day so people can all take the EXACT SAME selfie. One of them finally broke-off the cliff edge and died in a Wile-E-Coyote stunt a couple of weeks ago.  Did the line even slow down?  No. They just moved over to the next ledge that hasn't broken off yet.)

I've been informed that the selfie thing is more the fault of "Instagram" than "YouTube."  

IDK. One of the kids asked me if I "have Snapchat."  I told her, "No, I got all my vaccinations."  

1 hour ago, toddster said:

The whole PCT thing has become very, very strange, and a good example of people "loving" something to death.  I hiked some of the PCT as a teenager - 100 or 200 miles each year.  You might see one other  person each day.  You might not.   Now, you'll probably see a hundred. Many hundred if near a popular trailhead.  Designated camp grounds, pre-fab bridges over all the stream crossings.  Screams of kids echoing through the canyons. Might as well take a walk downtown. The difficulty with intercepting a YouTuber would be fiiguring out WHICH ONE of them you're looking for.

IDK how much of it has to do with YouTube, or "that movie," but there is a continuous stream of tourists that walk out on to the "Bridge of the Gods" all day every day.  There is nothing special about this bridge, except you have to cross it to link up to the next segment of trail on the other side of the Columbia.  There is no walkway. It's just a nasty steel mesh-deck bridge with two narrow lanes, a lot of traffic - and now a continuous freak-show of day-trippers walking (or wheel-chairing!) down the middle of the road to take a selfie.  The SAME selfie that thousands of other people post on-line every day.  (There are half a dozen spots near me where these lemming-like line-ups go on all day so people can all take the EXACT SAME selfie. One of them finally broke-off the cliff edge and died in a Wile-E-Coyote stunt a couple of weeks ago.  Did the line even slow down?  No. They just moved over to the next ledge that hasn't broken off yet.)

The impulse is hardly new, nor uniquely the creation of social media platforms. 'Beauty spots' and certain cultural, historical, or religious sites have been faddishly overrun since prehistory. A good example is the Jerusalem Cross, which was prominently displayed to show the wearer/householder had made pilgrimage to the Holy City and visited the key sites of Christianity there. Some, like the Adorne merchants of Bruges (Flanders), built obscenely expensive private chapels to show their fellow burghers just how fuckin' online they were about the whole pilgrim lifestyle. Selfie of the Adornes praying at the Holy Sepulchre:

Anselmus%20Adornes%20X%20Margareta%20Van

Hit the like button! 

Srsly, the number of people who have dragged barefoot along the Camino de Santiago, waited days to kiss the (probably fake) relic of some saint, been trampled by their fellow Hajj participants, shat cheerfully in the Ganges, and turned the grounds near Lourdes into a muddy cesspit cannot be numbered. Every.goddam.Englishman visited exactly the same ruins, palazzos, and romantic mountain passes during their obligatory Grand Tours; then most of them ran home and wrote about their life-changing experience, and how everyone simply must see the  Duomo de Santa Maria del Fiore, it's a hidden gem, and buy a Guido's Italian Ice outside the west entrance (disclaimer: Guido provided this blogger with a free strawberry ice).

• Like 1

So, a girl I know and some of her friends are doing the thing

https://www.seasondering.com/the-dream

Three girls, from Canada, starting out somewhere in the Carolinas? and heading south along the ICW. Apparently they've already had engine troubles and are in some small town. here's the Youtube link to their first video: clicky clicky

• Like 1

Christian Williams deserves a “shout out” in this thread about YT clips.  (He’s also sort of the antithesis to the girl with Patreon account who goes sailing in warm place - a philosophical old guy who just likes telling stories with his sailing, and has no “shtick”, and isn’t trying to earn a buck, as far as I can tell.)

”Why We Sail - Pram Story”. 

(And this has gotten me considering building, as a long-planned winter project, the nesting version of this boat, which I never knew existed, instead of the B &B Yacht Designs Two-Paw nesting dinghy.)

23 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I used to write headlines

and my words now sound cruel

apologies all round

as for the corporate presents....

I guess as on aold sailor I have enough sailing stuff... a shed full of old sailing crud - and two dinghies.

I did accidentally throw my mainsail away so am having a Waverly gunter rig mainsail cut down to Minstrel dimensions

I fear my films are not aspirational enough

https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/sailing-around-britain/waverly-sail-to-minstrel-sail/

"old bloke accidentally throws away mainsail and re-cuts an old one down"

I only mentioned the "phone sanitizer" thing to jog your memory, not to indicate that you were out of line.  Your comment was just a light-hearted dig, nothing malicious.

Seriously, don't fret the orange man death threats. These are the anonymous rantings of people safely ensconced behind their keyboards. I imagine many of them own guns...but also ambulate via those "Rascal" mobility scooters.  Hardly any threat to you, or anyone else.  It's just people venting their frustrations.

scooter.jpg.b149b6a6e9931a281ed5038025262d59.jpg

26 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

water under the bridge

but the words had their desired effect

I took the films down

Dylan

I disagree with several of your opinions but I don't think you should have removed the videos.

Well hell. When did La Vagabond switch from the Amel to Outremer? What was the reason?

As you can tell, I generally have better things to to than watch this stuff.

25 minutes ago, mookiesurfs said:

Well hell. When did La Vagabond switch from the Amel to Outremer? What was the reason?

As you can tell, I generally have better things to to than watch this stuff.

They switched from a Benares, Dell's is an amel

• Like 1

Hilma lost her rudder.   Bad turns worse and eventually two months waiting to get replacement.   Compass wire shorting leads to shaft corrosion and break off.   Ouch.

I thought everyone carried a spare and/or a Hydrovane?  

@ 12.45 they get into details.

16 hours ago, chester said:

They switched from a Benares, Dell's is an amel

Oh.