dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

54 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

The Ste.Greta worshippers are far more nasty & willing to destroy people behind their keyboards than your avowed Trumpists.

I find it a little hypocritical of you seeing as you were part of a YBW forum mob that turned on a couple from Alaska who committed the unconscionable sin of turning a few black bears into hamburgers while sailing.  That truly got nasty and went far beyond a few comments left on YT vids.

I do not think that anyone wished they would die

that aside

leave the bears alone

they are a vital part of the ecosystem

and

- is it really possible  to properly process a bear carcass on a small boat?

fekkin terrible waste of natural resources

D

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

I do not think that anyone wished they would die

that aside

leave the bears alone

they are a vital part of the ecosystem

and

- is it really possible  to properly process a bear carcass on a small boat?

fekkin terrible waste of natural resources

D

So is every other non-domestic animal. Except maybe humans. Bears think they're top predators but they're not.

And yeah, you can process a bear on a small boat. They did so.

I remember those attacks on Bixler and his GF then wife. They caused them to stop making and take down some really, really excellent videos of sailing in Alaska. You must be so proud of yourself for being part of that online lynch mob.

FKT

• Like 1

Geez, I logged on with the idea of staying away from that Greta thread because people were being so negative. Please let's not ruin this one with the same bad vibe.  It's the weekend-

Someone post a winsome girl sailing in a hot place quick!

She is da bomb!  Lucky man.

On 11/24/2019 at 3:38 AM, dylan winter said:

I will confess- Her body is so taut that you could bounce a quarter off of it. I loathe the "eye candy" aspect of their vlog but they include so much useful, practical information that sometimes I watch anyway. 

They had a great video showing how they enhance their PFDs and a demo of a new kind of PFD that offers a rear tow point to prevent drowning by dragging.

• Like 1

I am also quite impressed how they crossed the North Atlantic.  They had some really rough seas and high winds and they managed it well.  I still think their electric engine is a little dubious, but they are proving me wrong every day.  I enjoy their channel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

No girls... No patrons...

Dude with a Contessa 26 heading around the world

What the hell is going on with the leading edge of the keel?

contessa26-lines.gif

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

He's done a good job of making the hatch waterproof and a comfy place to keep watch but I think that he will soon hate the dinghy stored on deck. I fear that the windage and the inconvenience of this bulk occupying front deck space useful for headsail change will be a PITA. An inflatable dinghy stored low under deck would be much better IMHO.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 9:17 PM, Israel Hands said:

Geez, I logged on with the idea of staying away from that Greta thread because people were being so negative. Please let's not ruin this one with the same bad vibe.  It's the weekend-

Someone post a winsome girl sailing in a hot place quick!

Thanks to Dylan and his ilk you cannot even watch a girl in a bikini fillet a Marlin on LaVag.

Thankfully for all involved with the weather you have lot's of pretentious proselytizing coming up, but no Ste.Greta in a bikini.

53 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Thanks to Dylan and his ilk you cannot even watch a girl in a bikini fillet a Marlin on LaVag.

Thankfully for all involved with the weather you have lot's of pretentious proselytizing coming up, but no Ste.Greta in a bikini.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

A grossly misleading title.  No story to the editing, poor video quality, not worth watching.

On 11/24/2019 at 12:38 AM, dylan winter said:

Not sure I get the content.  I could only manage to 15-sec forward through it all.  He fixes  a hose with an adaptor (after an incredibly adventurous dinghy trip to marine store) since they’re in England and their hose won’t fit spigot on dock. Then they tour an old castle.  Yawn.  I suppose it’s good if one likes bouncy, chatty millennials. :-) :-)

5 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Not sure I get the content.  I could only manage to 15-sec forward through it all.  He fixes  a hose with an adaptor (after an incredibly adventurous dinghy trip to marine store) since they’re in England and their hose won’t fit spigot on dock. Then they tour an old castle.  Yawn.  I suppose it’s good if one likes bouncy, chatty millennials. :-) :-)

62,000 in five days - 12,000 a day

22 million views on the youtube space

meanwhile, the supertanker of sailing vloggers  la vag - which appeared top of the page

398,000 in about the same time period

18 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I am also quite impressed how they crossed the North Atlantic.  They had some really rough seas and high winds and they managed it well.  I still think their electric engine is a little dubious, but they are proving me wrong every day.  I enjoy their channel.

If I were living full time on  a relatively small boat, I wouldn't mind not having to deal with the stench and the complexity of a diesel engine. On a 30 something foot boat you will never have the payload capacity to carry more than 2 days worth of motoring fuel. So you might as well accept that you are on a proper sailing boat and go for a few hours of autonomy. No oil, no stinky diesel, no water pumps, no hundreds of moving parts ready to fail you at the most inconvenient time....

Electric motors might not work that well for people on a schedule, but for people full time on board, not so bad IMHO. Look at the others vloggers on cheap boats, they seem to spend an awful lot of time mending their diesel engine.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

62,000 in five days - 12,000 a day

22 million views on the youtube space

meanwhile, the supertanker of sailing vloggers  la vag - which appeared top of the page

398,000 in about the same time period

Yes, but La Vagabonde has a big cat to pay back...

1 minute ago, Panoramix said:

Yes, but La Vagabonde has a big cat to pay back...

And, in addition to sailing oriented viewers and bikini oriented viewers, they've now tapped into a whole 'nuther world of GW oriented viewers.  From a marketing perspective, that's a pretty neat trick! 

9 minutes ago, Veeger said:

And, in addition to sailing oriented viewers and bikini oriented viewers, they've now tapped into a whole 'nuther world of GW oriented viewers.  From a marketing perspective, that's a pretty neat trick! 

Not too sure about this. Lot of their viewers must be from the USA, they will lose a lot of them as quite a few North Americans have gone mental against science and environmentalism. In many parts of the world GW is mostly accepted as a fact, so they will just be seen as doing the decent thing rather than heroes worth the ordinary man attention.

• Like 3

GW  =  Global Warming

Yes, Pano, but my point is it's still a large group who may not have seen this genre of YT (= YouTube).  No judgement here, just saying they've expanded their reach to a much larger demographic.  For 'number of views' that's the Holy Grail.

17 hours ago, fragglerock said:

No girls... No patrons...

Dude with a Contessa 26 heading around the world

Journeyman carpenter who built his prior boat and sailed it singlehanded from west coast Canada to Australia over two years.  Gutsy.  Not a flashy YT type.  His channel will fail.  And that’ll be too bad! (I’m not being negative, just commenting on how he doesn’t fit into the genre “chatty millennial goes sailing and carries selfie stick to film themselves visiting tourist spots” - not yet anyway.  :-) When he does, his YT views will skyrocket.  Maybe he’ll find a shtick to hook doubtful viewers.)

By your criteria, the "How to Sail Oceans" channel should have failed by now, but is still going.

Sure, his viewership is minuscule compared to La Vag but between donations and his mutual fund investments, he's funded and sailing and that's all he cares about.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

By your criteria, the "How to Sail Oceans" channel should have failed by now, but is still going.

Sure, his viewership is minuscule compared to La Vag but between donations and his mutual fund investments, he's funded and sailing and that's all he cares about.

31 minutes ago, Ajax said:

My post was tongue-in-cheek - I admire him (and have to root for him as an underdog Canadian :-) )

What I meant was that he doesn’t seem to feel the need to whore himself like many of the other YT’ers, which I like.  He’s just going sailing, getting on with it, not trying to be cute and funny and all media flashy to appeal to the masses with a polished “shtick”.  Or something like that.  

58 minutes ago, Veeger said:

GW  =  Global Warming

Yes, Pano, but my point is it's still a large group who may not have seen this genre of YT (= YouTube).  No judgement here, just saying they've expanded their reach to a much larger demographic.  For 'number of views' that's the Holy Grail.

May be but when you sum the + and the - it might not be that good for them.

That's a slightly interesting question, as to whether the streams will cross.  I'd guess that paying subscribers only cough up the coin because they are direct wannabes.  They project themselves into the story. (That could/should be ME!) Will any significant number cross over from Greta's story?  One might be able to deduce that from following the data.  I don't care enough, personally, to keep track.

Actually, there is probably plenty of data out there already.  Seems like there was a flurry of YT channels merging and diverging amongst the Caribbean cruisers.  And some of those kids that hopped on and off Delos had their own following before and after.  Using past tense because I haven't had time to look at any of it in a while.  Heck, someone has probably already done a real study on this if one looks hard enough.   

12 hours ago, dylan winter said:

very tough little yachts those contessas

meanwhile

20,000 people are very interested in a cooler

i don't know what the cooler is saying but those tits are screaming suck me!

8 hours ago, Panoramix said:

If I were living full time on  a relatively small boat, I wouldn't mind not having to deal with the stench and the complexity of a diesel engine. On a 30 something foot boat you will never have the payload capacity to carry more than 2 days worth of motoring fuel. So you might as well accept that you are on a proper sailing boat and go for a few hours of autonomy. No oil, no stinky diesel, no water pumps, no hundreds of moving parts ready to fail you at the most inconvenient time....

Electric motors might not work that well for people on a schedule, but for people full time on board, not so bad IMHO. Look at the others vloggers on cheap boats, they seem to spend an awful lot of time mending their diesel engine.

30-something feet??? Perhaps you mean something very close to the 30' mark.

Because my boat is 30-something feet and I have enough diesel tankage to go 1000 nautical miles. Not that I want to do so, but I can.

The 2 main reasons those vloggers on cheap boats spend a lot of time fixing their engine is because they bought a CHEAP boat with a well-used engine and secondly, they are generally mechanically inept. To put it politely.

Troy & Pascale have a cheap 30' boat, more tankage than you claim and don't spend much time mending their engine. But that's because Troy actually knows how to FIX things so they stay fixed, not just kludge them and hope for the best.

FKT

10 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Not too sure about this. Lot of their viewers must be from the USA, they will lose a lot of them as quite a few North Americans have gone mental against science and environmentalism. In many parts of the world GW is mostly accepted as a fact, so they will just be seen as doing the decent thing rather than heroes worth the ordinary man attention.

Look, someone has to work against the willfully ignorant evangelicals/religious extremists that seem to dominate the place - if not, we’re doomed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toddster said:

Actually, there is probably plenty of data out there already.  Seems like there was a flurry of YT channels merging and diverging amongst the Caribbean cruisers.  And some of those kids that hopped on and off Delos had their own following before and after.  Using past tense because I haven't hatime to look at any of it in a while.  Heck, someone has probably already done a real study on this if one looks hard enough.   

Just as kids now can get e-gaming scholarship to uni (WTF?!?), I’ve no doubt this (what you referred to above) is a fertile new area for a PhD dissertation...heck, this thread is research gold!  An investigation, one of the many inquiries since Aristotle, to make sense of the sometimes very weird and mysterious human experience and meaning of life... :-)

10 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

What is a “GW oriented viewer”? 

I didn't know right off the bat either. My best guess was "George W." but then I thought Nawww...

6 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

I didn't know right off the bat either. My best guess was "George W." but then I thought Nawww...

Global Warming. Or gopher whacking, granular wheezing, getting weird, etc...

That's because you guys aren't "woke."

5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

That's because you guys aren't "woke."

Thank (some) God for that. I'm scientist/engineer.

FKT

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Thank (some) God for that. I'm scientist/engineer.

FKT

I'm usually asleep.

• Like 2

couple of thoughts ....

interesting discussion about GW on this day when co2 levels are in the news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50504131

It is also interesting the way that some avid viewers seem to ignore the editing that goes on to make the films

Just because some  films do not include maintenance does not mean that none is done

D

10 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

30-something feet??? Perhaps you mean something very close to the 30' mark.

Because my boat is 30-something feet and I have enough diesel tankage to go 1000 nautical miles. Not that I want to do so, but I can.

The 2 main reasons those vloggers on cheap boats spend a lot of time fixing their engine is because they bought a CHEAP boat with a well-used engine and secondly, they are generally mechanically inept. To put it politely.

Troy & Pascale have a cheap 30' boat, more tankage than you claim and don't spend much time mending their engine. But that's because Troy actually knows how to FIX things so they stay fixed, not just kludge them and hope for the best.

FKT

OK, you've got a point, a 38 feet boat with a wide-ish beam will carry enough fuel. I actually meant 30 feet and a bit second hand plastic boat. These 70s / early 80s sailing boats (not talking of the motorsailers) were not designed to carry huge loads. 1000Nm is 200 hours of motoring on a small boat, that's probably about 300kg of diesel and a big tank to fit somewhere in the middle or 2 smaller tanks, one on each side.

To be safe, IME you are better off being good at sailing your boat than being a good mechanic. In my sailing life I've sometimes come into harbours under sail as I didn't have a clue how to get the engine to function with the tools and time available but I've never ever come under power for a malfunctioning rig or sails (touching wood). Engine maintenance is a real chore, after you've done it the boat stinks and when something breaks most of the time you get stuck waiting for a piece to be delivered.

What I find really attractive about the electric engine is that there is no fluids on board. You need batteries but anyway you always need some, it just means that you have more of them which incidentally is good on long passages / remote anchorages. The lack of range is a real issue if you have a desk to be at Monday morning but if not I think that I will trade being becalmed from time to time for less maintenance and non reliance on a moody piece of equipment.

• Like 2

As the auto industry goes electric, as it seems poised to do, I wonder how much harder / more expensive it will be to run our ICE diesels? 

16 minutes ago, Elegua said:

As the auto industry goes electric, as it seems poised to do, I wonder how much harder / more expensive it will be to run our ICE diesels? 

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do think a group will form with the determination to do so.

43 minutes ago, Elegua said:

I wonder that too. As a builder/maker, I think of the future that I won't be a part of.  These days my work is in old buildings I've restored (and live in one).  

With the boat I have some sense of a future appreciation that is worth a little extra effort on my part. I'm sending them a message. 

I foresee a major change in propulsion in the future. There's nothing in E-propulsion that would work for me (goes without saying for most of us, so why say it), but the evolution has just begun.

Wind/sail power has a bright future, I'm sure. The future sailor/owner of my old boat is not me, it will be someone surrounded by electric. Engine, transmission, exhaust, plumbing, 80 gallons of fuel tankage, all gone, thrown on top of a pile of rusting house boilers at the state of the art recycle mecca in my future town. 

I'll deliver working, maintained buildings and an old boat to the future knowing full well, they'll make some drastic changes.

But they won't tear the buildings down or landfill the boat because they will appreciate what's there from the past.  That's my charge today,  and message to the future. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Elegua said:

TBH I don't think that electric will work for the masses on boats anytime soon, so the diesel people aren't going to disappear any time soon. May be they won't invest much in new designs but that already seems to be the case. I've been sailing on boats powered by a Yanmar 3GM for several decades now. So presumably as tooling is paid for they will keep manufacturing Yanmar 3GM for sailors who need to be at their desk Monday morning!

• Like 1

Two weeks this morning since La Vagabonde departed Chesapeake Bay.

Position: Last Updated 27 Nov 2019, 12:43 (GMT)
41º 32.829n, 34º 30.451w  (41.54708,-34.50752)
Speed: 6.0 kts
Heading: 55.7°

• 190 NM NW of Ilha das Flores, Azores
  • 1936 NM from Virginia Beach (great circle)
  • 1347 NM from Cadiz, Spain (actual destination unknown)

Their track so far is longer than the great circle distance, of course, but...

• 1936 / 14 = 138 NM/day = 5.8 knots average so far = ~10 more days at that rate
  • 7 more days at 192 NM/day (8 knots)

https://www.windy.com/?41.039,-34.508,8,m:eOpafdE

Wind: NW 10 knots gusting to 15 knots, Waves: W 8 feet at 9 secs.

2019 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change will begin on Monday, December 2 and ends on Friday, December 13.

lv_2019Nov27aa.thumb.png.cbab8160910cd2e718bca7b264a27fe3.png

2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I wonder that too. As a builder/maker, I think of the future that I won't be a part of.  These days my work is in old buildings I've restored (and live in one).  

With the boat I have some sense of a future appreciation that is worth a little extra effort on my part. I'm sending them a message. 

I foresee a major change in propulsion in the future. There's nothing in E-propulsion that would work for me (goes without saying for most of us, so why say it), but the evolution has just begun.

Wind/sail power has a bright future, I'm sure. The future sailor/owner of my old boat is not me, it will be someone surrounded by electric. Engine, transmission, exhaust, plumbing, 80 gallons of fuel tankage, all gone, thrown on top of a pile of rusting house boilers at the state of the art recycle mecca in my future town. 

I'll deliver working, maintained buildings and an old boat to the future knowing full well, they'll make some drastic changes.

But they won't tear the buildings down or landfill the boat because they will appreciate what's there from the past.  That's my charge today,  and message to the future

There's nothing in e-propulsion today or the near future that would work for me either. I have a boat that my son has expressed interest in, but who knows if anyone else would want to take care of her beyond that.

2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

TBH I don't think that electric will work for the masses on boats anytime soon, so the diesel people aren't going to disappear any time soon. May be they won't invest much in new designs but that already seems to be the case. I've been sailing on boats powered by a Yanmar 3GM for several decades now. So presumably as tooling is paid for they will keep manufacturing Yanmar 3GM for sailors who need to be at their desk Monday morning!

I'm not saying that diesels are going anywhere soon.  There will be construction, military, off-grid uses for a long time to come. I have the the same power plant that my parents boat did 30 some years ago. Diesels improved over that time, but incrementally. But just the way horses haven't disappeared,  horses are probably more expensive and harder to maintain now that the user based has shrunk.  

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

I'm not saying that diesels are going anywhere soon.  There will be construction, military, off-grid uses for a long time to come. I have the the same power plant that my parents boat did 30 some years ago. Diesels improved over that time, but incrementally. But just the way horses haven't disappeared,  horses are probably more expensive and harder to maintain now that the user based has shrunk.  

Yes but the user base shouldn't shrink that much for boat engines. It makes sense for some very specific uses which are niche. Realistically, now it can be good for small daysailers and for liveaboards as long as the boat is small enough and sails well. That's not a lot of people. I don't think that marine diesel engines are based on car engines, I think it is mostly industrial stuff (Forklift trucks?).

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

Yes but the user base shouldn't shrink that much for boat engines. It makes sense for some very specific uses which are niche. Realistically, now it can be good for small daysailers and for liveaboards as long as the boat is small enough and sails well. That's not a lot of people. I don't think that marine diesel engines are based on car engines, I think it is mostly industrial stuff (Forklift trucks?).

The user base for boats is minuscule on any sort of industrial scale; which means ever increasing specialized/niche skills .  Put niche or specialized in-front of anything and the cost and hassle goes up.  My Perkins is a former truck engine. 

13 hours ago, Panoramix said:

OK, you've got a point, a 38 feet boat with a wide-ish beam will carry enough fuel. I actually meant 30 feet and a bit second hand plastic boat. These 70s / early 80s sailing boats (not talking of the motorsailers) were not designed to carry huge loads. 1000Nm is 200 hours of motoring on a small boat, that's probably about 300kg of diesel and a big tank to fit somewhere in the middle or 2 smaller tanks, one on each side.

To be safe, IME you are better off being good at sailing your boat than being a good mechanic. In my sailing life I've sometimes come into harbours under sail as I didn't have a clue how to get the engine to function with the tools and time available but I've never ever come under power for a malfunctioning rig or sails (touching wood). Engine maintenance is a real chore, after you've done it the boat stinks and when something breaks most of the time you get stuck waiting for a piece to be delivered.

What I find really attractive about the electric engine is that there is no fluids on board. You need batteries but anyway you always need some, it just means that you have more of them which incidentally is good on long passages / remote anchorages. The lack of range is a real issue if you have a desk to be at Monday morning but if not I think that I will trade being becalmed from time to time for less maintenance and non reliance on a moody piece of equipment.

My boat is 12m with a 3m beam so not wide at all by modern standards.

I fully agree about it being better to be a good sailor than mechanic, but it's not an either/or.

Can't see why the boat stinks after doing maintenance but maybe that's how you do the maintenance and how the engine is laid out. I set up mine for easy access to all filters etc that need regular maintenence. Keep oil & diesel out of the bilges.

I've absolutely no issues at all with an electric drive system. I've huge issues with the available range with current technology. We were out the other week, came home into the teeth of a 25-30 knot westerly. Never could have carried sufficient battery power to do that, the diesel did it effortlessly. So the alternatives would have been to not go as we knew the weather was going to shit, or remain in our sheltered anchorage for a week until the system blew through. Nope, I'll crank the engine and punch straight into it thanks rather than stay or do a ton of tacks to get home.

For a light daysailer sailed out of a slip and back then plugged into shore power an electric drive makes a hell of a lot of sense. Same reason I'd have a BEV car to replace my Subaru but not to replace my diesel 4WD light truck.

Final point - I totally disagree that a diesel engine is a moody bit of equipment. They're mostly incredibly reliable and functional items of equipment. What makes them moody is the general lack of knowledge and abuse they get from uncaring owners. I give my engine clean oil, fuel and air and it works perfectly.

FKT

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

My boat is 12m with a 3m beam so not wide at all by modern standards.

I fully agree about it being better to be a good sailor than mechanic, but it's not an either/or.

Can't see why the boat stinks after doing maintenance but maybe that's how you do the maintenance and how the engine is laid out. I set up mine for easy access to all filters etc that need regular maintenence. Keep oil & diesel out of the bilges.

I've absolutely no issues at all with an electric drive system. I've huge issues with the available range with current technology. We were out the other week, came home into the teeth of a 25-30 knot westerly. Never could have carried sufficient battery power to do that, the diesel did it effortlessly. So the alternatives would have been to not go as we knew the weather was going to shit, or remain in our sheltered anchorage for a week until the system blew through. Nope, I'll crank the engine and punch straight into it thanks rather than stay or do a ton of tacks to get home.

For a light daysailer sailed out of a slip and back then plugged into shore power an electric drive makes a hell of a lot of sense. Same reason I'd have a BEV car to replace my Subaru but not to replace my diesel 4WD light truck.

Final point - I totally disagree that a diesel engine is a moody bit of equipment. They're mostly incredibly reliable and functional items of equipment. What makes them moody is the general lack of knowledge and abuse they get from uncaring owners. I give my engine clean oil, fuel and air and it works perfectly.

FKT

12m is 40 feet, not what I was thinking of.

May be I am not lucky but I got let down by professionally maintained diesel engines, my dad got stuck in the Netherlands a few years ago thank to a diesel engine that was about 8 years old and had been professionally maintained. The first ever time I got to sail a boat with a lid on, I was 16 and had to scull the boat out of the lock of the Rance tidal power station. Most times I couldn't sail due to equipment failure was the engine, sure other things malfunction from time to time but tend to be easy to sort out with onboard means. No sorry, I just hate the things, as soon as I get the opportunity to not have one on board with reasonable trade-offs I take it.

As for the 25-30 knots westerly, you take 2 reefs and sail the boat, that's what I do anyway. Here in such conditions we get a short and steep chop and you would need a rather big engine to motor efficiently against 30 knots of wind. IMO on a cruising boat ideally the jib should be self tacking so that tacks are non events, if not then it is a matter of big enough winches and a bit of exercise.

Anyway, end of rant and you have my respect for keeping your marine engine in a working state.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 5:28 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

oy & Pascale have a cheap 30' boat, more tankage than you claim and don't spend much time mending their engine. But that's because Troy actually knows how to FIX things so they stay fixed, not just kludge them and hope for the best.

I’ve come to enjoy that v-log. Kind of indifferent sailors, but they do smart things and as you say, Troy has skills. 

La Vagabonde is trucking now!  They've traveled ~508 NM since Wednesday morning.  That's ~8.5 knot average for 2.5 days (508 NM / 60 hours).

Last Updated 29 Nov 2019, 21:44 (GMT)
42º 52.076n, 23º 14.957w 9.8 kts, Heading: 69.3
(42.86089,-23.24928)

They are 612 to 650 NM from the NW corner of Spain, so not headed for Cadiz.

https://www.windy.com/?42.123,-15.688,6,m:eQBafwq

Wind W 20 knots gusting to 27 knots, Waves 13 feet at 9 secs. (Ugh!  But that will moderate soon).

lv_2019Nov29a.thumb.png.7abaaa24c427df7aebafeb3418f9c0b9.png

On 11/24/2019 at 7:50 AM, fragglerock said:

No patreon but two girls!

-- SeasSondering-

On 11/24/2019 at 8:27 AM, dylan winter said:

I hope they have thick skins

I think they'll be okay :P

For those who don't mind some good old fashioned reading, here's the latest blog post: 

https://www.seasondering.com/blog/2019/11/19/e9ef506xxpnbpizxajfguxjkb6zyta

and, THEY HAVE A PATREON NOW! Official members of the thread.

https://www.patreon.com/Seasondering

I don't know if it's just because they're from my area/I know one of them, but I'm pretty confident that they'll do well!

Going to plug their Instagram too, just because they post a lot of live stuff there and I'm a bit enthusiastic about it all.

-> https://www.instagram.com/seasondering/?hl=en

CoInjOck marina

2 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

For those who don't mind some good old fashioned reading, here's the latest blog post: 

I don't know if it's just because they're from my area/I know one of them, but I'm pretty confident that they'll do well!

Going to plug their Instagram too, just because they post a lot of live stuff there and I'm a bit enthusiastic about it all.

CoInjOck marina

I thought the one chick with half a brain jumped ship to the guy sailing with dogs?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

CoInjOck marina

goodonem

great adventure.......

and so  the patreon starts

so, as the current SA spruiker in charge for this adventure, have you actually dipped into your own  bank account and become a patron?

if you do, and when they get south, start to run out of cash,  and realise that they need to get their kit off to get the thumbnails that the youtube algorithm finds so attractive, will your wife be happy about you spending her dollars on what looks like yet another film about bikinis, foredeck, dolphins and beaches.

youtube/patreon click through is about 0.4 per cent so to get  400 patreons you need to get an average of 100,000 youtube hits per thumbnail.

I fear your lovely, clean living sensible candians will be forced down the same path that so many have been forced to follow

D

La Vagabonde is only ~204 NM from Spain!  They are very likely to finish tomorrow, Dec. 2, the first day of the  U.N Framework Convention on Climate Change.  That's ~two days less than three weeks crossing the North Atlantic in November.  Awesome.

Last Updated 1 Dec 2019, 15:15 (GMT)
42º 50.908n, 13º 56.012w 9.8 kts 110.8°
(42.84840,-13.93353)

lv_2019Dec1a.png.bad0fa3b30f4c1dca71c27e389cd6e6a.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42%C2%B050'54.5%22N+13%C2%B056'00.7%22W/@43.1959178,-12.414883,6.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d42.8484667!4d-13.9335333

https://www.windy.com/?42.571,-12.524,8,m:eQzafLV

Wind N 22 knots gusting to 31 knots, Waves NW 12 feet at 8 secs.

8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

never seen these two before - now on film 63

this one is about anchors

this their best hitting sailing film

Hard to hear his voice, because his dreadlocks scream ‘cut me.’  They seem nice...a bit worried for them cruising the world in that boat.

17 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Hard to hear his voice, because his dreadlocks scream ‘cut me.’  They seem nice...a bit worried for them cruising the world in that boat.

Maybe Dylan’s going through a midlife crisis and will show up here in dreads and tatts one of these days on a different YT channel of his own ?  :-) :-)

aw bless you

mid life crisis

I am 63

-time to start sorting out a few loose ends, a few passages I have not yet done, a few lochs/estuaries, islands and voes I missed.

time is running out

D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

aw bless you

mid life crisis

I am 63

-time to start sorting out a few loose ends, a few passages I have not yet done, a few lochs/estuaries, islands and voes I missed.

time is running out

D

Trust me - I get it.  “Only” 53 and have been feeling that FOMO thing for a while... :-)

On 11/29/2019 at 11:29 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

I thought the one chick with half a brain jumped ship to the guy sailing with dogs?

Actually, I'd be curious who that was! I know there was originally three of them, one left, and now there's three again plus a guy, but I don't remember the name of the original third. Guessing you know them? If anyone's curious, there's still references to "Three girls sailing around the world" on their website, but it only list Jocelyn and Michelle

On 11/30/2019 at 4:29 AM, dylan winter said:

goodonem

great adventure.......

and so  the patreon starts

so, as the current SA spruiker in charge for this adventure, have you actually dipped into your own  bank account and become a patron?

if you do, and when they get south, start to run out of cash,  and realise that they need to get their kit off to get the thumbnails that the youtube algorithm finds so attractive, will your wife be happy about you spending her dollars on what looks like yet another film about bikinis, foredeck, dolphins and beaches.

youtube/patreon click through is about 0.4 per cent so to get  400 patreons you need to get an average of 100,000 youtube hits per thumbnail.

I fear your lovely, clean living sensible candians will be forced down the same path that so many have been forced to follow

D

Ah yes, the inevitable Bikinis and Beaches. I mean, to be fair, if I had the ability to fund sailing by showing off my body, I would, so I can't rag on them too much for it. 

For now, here's something for all you sailors with wives to quickly scroll past lest your better half catch you: (From their blog). Luckily(?) for me, I remain unattached.

JOSS VID 1 2.jpg

On 11/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, dylan winter said:

PS

spruiking is a good thing...a nice thing to do for a fellow countryman (woman)

D

Urban Dictionary defines it slightly differently- https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Spuiker

Anyhow, here's the latest video! Still rather short, but I'm sure the content will come with time (and once the adventure really gets moving).

Too much random for me, and I used to thrive on it.

Is this it? Have I become a slipper-wearing old fart?

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes,
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,
And seeing that it was a soft October night,
Curled once about the house, and fell asleep.

And indeed there will be time
For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;
There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

And indeed there will be time
To wonder, “Do I dare?” and, “Do I dare?”
Time to turn back and descend the stair,
With a bald spot in the middle of my hair —
(They will say: “How his hair is growing thin!”)
My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,
My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin —
(They will say: “But how his arms and legs are thin!”)
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
               So how should I presume?

And I have known the eyes already, known them all—
The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
               And how should I presume?

And I have known the arms already, known them all—
Arms that are braceleted and white and bare
(But in the lamplight, downed with light brown hair!)
Is it perfume from a dress
That makes me so digress?
Arms that lie along a table, or wrap about a shawl.
               And should I then presume?
               And how should I begin?

Shall I say, I have gone at dusk through narrow streets
And watched the smoke that rises from the pipes
Of lonely men in shirt-sleeves, leaning out of windows? ...

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

And the afternoon, the evening, sleeps so peacefully!
Smoothed by long fingers,
Asleep ... tired ... or it malingers,
Stretched on the floor, here beside you and me.
Should I, after tea and cakes and ices,
Have the strength to force the moment to its crisis?
But though I have wept and fasted, wept and prayed,
Though I have seen my head (grown slightly bald) brought in upon a platter,
I am no prophet — and here’s no great matter;
I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid.

And would it have been worth it, after all,
After the cups, the marmalade, the tea,
Among the porcelain, among some talk of you and me,
Would it have been worth while,
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball
To roll it towards some overwhelming question,
To say: “I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—
If one, settling a pillow by her head
               Should say: “That is not what I meant at all;
               That is not it, at all.”

And would it have been worth it, after all,
Would it have been worth while,
After the sunsets and the dooryards and the sprinkled streets,
After the novels, after the teacups, after the skirts that trail along the floor—
And this, and so much more?—
It is impossible to say just what I mean!
But as if a magic lantern threw the nerves in patterns on a screen:
Would it have been worth while
If one, settling a pillow or throwing off a shawl,
And turning toward the window, should say:
               “That is not it at all,
               That is not what I meant, at all.”

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
Almost, at times, the Fool.

I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind?   Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Dirty asses, a proper method to deal with it on a boat.

talking heads - the curse of patreon/youtube requirement for 15 mins a week

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

talking heads - the curse of patreon/youtube requirement for 15 mins a week

I'd rather my head didn't talk, thanks all the same. Is that some sort of special variant found only in old British boats?

FKT

1 hour ago, IStream said:

They wisely use the wide angle when she's in frame.

That girl has a World Class Rack

30 minutes ago, chester said:

That girl has a World Class Rack

She's a beautiful woman.