dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

22 hours ago, IStream said:

It's better than upspeak...

True...the ultimate valley girl pretense. Otherwise known as "how to sound uncertain."

Tsk. Now even Dylan is pimping his wife out as bow candy in pursuit of clicks.  ;)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Tsk. Now even Dylan is pimping his wife out as bow candy in pursuit of clicks.  ;)

Image result for applause gif

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

you accuratly kicked the ball through a goal built to attract the google algorithm.

Interesting economics on that one.

The 3,500 youtube hits are worth about $4 in ad revenue -none of that to me because it has music in it.. Not worth the time posting it

but it drove aroubnd 500 new hits on my website - most had been there before. It was just a reminder to youtuber viewers that I was not dead.

The clip was taken from a longer film - about 20 mins or so.

To see, or download  the main film they had to go to my website - find out how it works, risk hitting a paypal button to cough up  a dollar - it is a big ask.

The regulars - for whom youtube was just a reminder - chipped in and watched the film. The behaviour of the others was interesting.  Some chipped in, some went to other web-pages to watch the free stuff, some of them came back to the dollar page and payed to play - some left rude comments

In a previous experiment I posted tiny versions of the same film on youtube labelling them as ideal for watching on a smart phone - so people watched them on their smart-phones for free rather than on a decent screen for a dollar.

It is always interesting trying to guess how the income stream is going on current youtube sailing series -

the cat people clattering down the ICW are posting more than once a week and getting 20K hits per film.  $20 so they are burning more fuel than that in a day. Patreon is now much harder to guess at.

Posting a film in this thread will get it another 30 views  for youtube - almost none at all will follow through to the website.

I started out as a hack on a hot metal newspaper. Sailing round Britain has been much more interesting than I ever thought it would  be.

Dylan

PS  I started out as aa journalist on a hot metal farming newspaper -  I am constantly surprised by today's media environment

• Like 1

@dylan winter

Will you be going down the "Emerald Steel" path, putting her in bikini's &c?  Have you discussed this with your spouse?  ;)

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

@dylan winter

Will you be going down the "Emerald Steel" path, putting her in bikini's &c?  Have you discussed this with your spouse?  ;)

Nope... because I am too scared of her

66 year old daughter of the manse can be a frightening thing

Emerald steel is an interesting case in point.

They are getting good hits on old films by levering the old bikini shots for all they are worth

but what is their motive?

What else could the motive be but clicks and money? Isn't that the objective?

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

What else could the motive be but clicks and money? Isn't that the objective?

it is converting clicks into money that is the tough thing to do

20,000 youtube hits is $30 - how many hours of your time does $30 buy?

The true amateur can take joy in finding an audience for their creation, without a financial motive.

Long term, the difficulty of making a living in music/photography/film/stage/video is that there are many people who are happy to do the work for its own sake (or some other intangible non-monetary reward), which makes the bottom drop out of the market.  This has been going on for centuries.

Wikipedia put hundreds of encyclopedia writers and editors out of work.

The end result is that all of the videographers who want to make a living will end up shooting safety training videos for oil refineries, because nobody will do that shit for free.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, 2airishuman said:

Wikipedia put hundreds of encyclopedia writers and editors out of work.

As a matter of fact, back in the day, I was asked to write a few encyclopedia articles.  IIRC, I got about $100 each, as an "honorarium."  Not exactly a "living."  

I usually kick in a few bucks when Wikipedia passes the cup each year.  

Even farther aside - sometimes it's interesting to turn over an article to the editing notes and look at all the infighting and sniping that goes into each piece.  Although about half of it seems to be bickering over US or UK spelling issues, I get the strong feeling that a lot of people are actually being paid by the mysterious "somebody" to curate particular sets of articles.  

7 minutes ago, toddster said:

As a matter of fact, back in the day, I was asked to write a few encyclopedia articles.  IIRC, I got about $100 each, as an "honorarium."  Not exactly a "living."  

I usually kick in a few bucks when Wikipedia passes the cup each year.  

Even farther aside - sometimes it's interesting to turn over an article to the editing notes and look at all the infighting and sniping that goes into each piece.  Although about half of it seems to be bickering over US or UK spelling issues, I get the strong feeling that a lot of people are actually being paid by the mysterious "somebody" to curate particular sets of articles.  

he who pays the piper

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WHMN3xG3jjs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...living nightmare.

I've always thought Jill was hot.  And that redhead of your sons is hot too.

I'll probably get alot of shit for this.

that is very nice of you to say that

when I started making films she was 52 - now she is 66 and more of  less the same shape she has always been

she is the daughter of an RN officer and came to me fully trained in the arts of sailing - small boat living - long absent husband - rowing dinghies and towing boat trailers around - not so good on the reversing bit which is her only fault. You will also note that there was no cursing in the film - her dad became a vicar after leaving the Royal Navy

D

• Like 3

I never comment on another man's wife, but Dylan, you are a lucky man.
It is even more satisfying knowing that you know how lucky you are.
Goodon ya' both.

On 2/27/2020 at 6:10 AM, dylan winter said:

female, sun kissed foredeck, boat crash

I think I see your problem - you turned right.  :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

I think I see your problem - you turned right.  :)

I was planning on turning left as I came out of the channel - but as you know - the currents are pretty powerful. Control was snatched away from me and that bow came around faster than I thought was possible.  I had reccied the place at low tide but it is hard to guess what the currents are going to do where 200 years before blokes with picks and shovels had chipped away the sea bed trying to get to the slate.

I would love to go back and do a better job of filming the place -  or maybe a  scottish sailing film maker with a drone will do it

take a look at the place from the air

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I was planning on turning left as I came out of the channel - but as you know - the currents are pretty powerful. Control was snatched away from me and that bow came around faster than I thought was possible.  I had reccied the place at low tide but it is hard to guess what the currents are going to do where 200 years before blokes with picks and shovels had chipped away the sea bed trying to get to the slate.

I would love to go back and do a better job of filming the place -  or maybe a  scottish sailing film maker with a drone will do it

take a look at the place from the air

Lovely spot.  And just teasing - I realize it was the current as you crossed some sort of eddy line.

I used to be pretty good at reading rapids on rivers back when I paddled canoes.  Even then we always said the man-made (or altered) stuff was the hardest to predict.  But tidal currents seem to be a different beast from rivers.  I remember years ago going out in my kayak on the Saguenay.  The water might have looked flat from a distance, but under the surface was doing things I'd never seen water do on a river.

Hope your keel was OK, and no leaks.

This was an epic adventure.  Crew Nikki Henderson was crucial to their success, a real hero with quite a resume (age 26): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Henderson

Henderson skippered three ARC Trans Atlantic races, twice as youngest skipper in the race. She has raced three Caribbean seasons, skippered the RORC Caribbean 600, competed in two editions of the Fastnet Race, and gained further experience teaching and offshore racing in Europe. She was selected as skipper of Visit Seattle in the 2017/2018 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.

Two days after her 25th birthday, Henderson skippered Visit Seattle to second place in the 2017/2018 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. She was the youngest skipper in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race history. The same race saw Wendy Tuck become the first woman to win a round the world race.

Henderson will be a guest skipper on Maiden's global voyage in 2018 in support of The Maiden Factor Foundation.

In June 2019, Henderson joined the winning team, "Sail Like a Girl" to compete in the Race to Alaska, an engineless boat race from Port Townsend, Washington State, to Ketchikan, Alaska.

In November 2019 she accompanied the environmental activist Greta Thunberg on her return voyage to Europe aboard the catamaran La Vagabonde.

• Like 2

a whole new crop of millennials trying their hand a youtube sailing....each new wave of them have shittier boats and even less sailing experience.... 

21 minutes ago, dacapo said:

...each new wave of them have shittier boats and even less sailing experience.... 

It's a movement.

I just had a movement which was more entertaining than nearly all youtube grifters.

3 minutes ago, solosailor said:

I just had a movement which was more entertaining than nearly all youtube grifters.

Goddamn, the guy's psychic.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:10 PM, dylan winter said:

female, sun kissed foredeck, boat crash

'don't like this'.

I've said that myself a few times, watching that just sparked up the last time I said it in fact. That particular time was getting knocked down at anchor by a squall last year in the Lau group. Thanks for the memory , I think.

I hope there wasn't damage.

On 2/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, Israel Hands said:

And now Erik takes it to the next level with a TRAILER for his next episode

Just got around to watching the full video of Erik crossing the North Sea in winter (comfortably in my armchair with a glass of scotch).  It struck me how he managed to capture the motion of being on a passage and out in the waves. 

I could do with a bit less of Erik's viking battlefield rhetoric, but I guess that's his schtick, and it's a minor quibble - offset by his using-the-head-in-a-seaway-is-hard sequence. 

Come to think of it, one of the Uma vids of their Atlantic crossing did a nice job of capturing the waves too. 

Off to watch Hugo race across the South Atlantic next

[pours another scotch]

These folks are really good at this adventure story telling business.  Slightly redundant but very watchable.

1 hour ago, Corryvreckan said:

Just got around to watching the full video of Erik crossing the North Sea in winter (comfortably in my armchair with a glass of scotch).  It struck me how he managed to capture the motion of being on a passage and out in the waves. 

I could do with a bit less of Erik's viking battlefield rhetoric, but I guess that's his schtick, and it's a minor quibble - offset by his using-the-head-in-a-seaway-is-hard sequence. 

Come to think of it, one of the Uma vids of their Atlantic crossing did a nice job of capturing the waves too. 

Off to watch Hugo race across the South Atlantic next

[pours another scotch]

Yeah,  how about a bit less of the, "no bullshit, just sailing", schtick and just show sailing?  

It's like someone telling me,  "trust me, I'm honest". Oh, you mean I wouldn't be able to tell from your behavior? 

26 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

These folks are really good at this adventure story telling business.  Slightly redundant but very watchable.

Have you ever met an Aussie that WASN'T good at spinning a yarn?  Maybe it's just the ex-pats.

Heh somebody upthread mentioned something about La Vag being the typical Millenial Youtube grifters, but that isn't accurate.  They went viral with their 1st vid, and atleast until I stopped watching their 1st vid was still their most watched (that apparently has changed over the years since I quit, now it is #4, with another of their Bene vids from Cape Verde in their first few months sailing fulltime being #2)

And now I've suddenly realized they've been at this fulltime sailing Youtube thang for 5yrs. 

Delos was more of a slow burn to popularity, but La Vag hit the ground running and never looked back.

10 hours ago, Elegua said:

Yeah,  how about a bit less of the, "no bullshit, just sailing", schtick and just show sailing?  

It's like someone telling me,  "trust me, I'm honest". Oh, you mean I wouldn't be able to tell from your behavior? 

In fairness, NBJS does stay pretty focused on the sailing most of the time.  Most of his non-sailing sequence is either boat-geek segments on how he sets up his gear for single handing (which I find interesting being a boat-geek myself), or a bit of local colour in the places he's visiting. 

I suspect the battlefield rhetoric comes from what Erik seems to enjoy most about his sailing - feeling like a wild man in a wild place.  It's a legit way to enjoy your sailing and he expresses it in his vids.  But yeah, I'm impressed enough that he sailed single-handed across the North Sea in January, than I don't really need him telling me he's a hard-guy

2 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

In fairness, NBJS does stay pretty focused on the sailing most of the time.  Most of his non-sailing sequence is either boat-geek segments on how he sets up his gear for single handing (which I find interesting being a boat-geek myself), or a bit of local colour in the places he's visiting. 

I suspect the battlefield rhetoric comes from what Erik seems to enjoy most about his sailing - feeling like a wild man in a wild place.  It's a legit way to enjoy your sailing and he expresses it in his vids.  But yeah, I'm impressed enough that he sailed single-handed across the North Sea in January, than I don't really need him telling me he's a hard-guy

Right. Just show me the sailing your doing - that’s impressive enough - and stop with the no-bullshit bullshit.  Of course, given that his risk profile is higher, if he ends up getting plucked out of the sea due to some mishap, is he now bullshit? 

32 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Right. Just show me the sailing your doing - that’s impressive enough - and stop with the no-bullshit bullshit.  Of course, given that his risk profile is higher, if he ends up getting plucked out of the sea due to some mishap, is he now bullshit? 

Yes.

So is this sailing with bullshit? 

17 hours ago, Elegua said:

He’s by himself.  Heavy weather chats/chants with yourself to keep the adrenalin flowing.  Been there/done that.   It’s all good.

6 hours ago, Elegua said:

I like the guy and I enjoyed his videos but they became repetitive because he keeps doing the same thing, sailing to the same places much of the time.

Yes, the "no-bullshit bullshit" was tiring. Also, watching him brag about eating shitty, canned food like it's a badge of honor was tiring. Yeah, yeah I get it- You're a Klingon. Good food and creature comforts are to be eschewed lest you not be a real warrior.

The reason that I became disinterested and roll my eyes at the guy is because I've already lived my life of hardship on submarines and tiny patrol boats.

Desalinator broke? No showers for you. Oh, no cooking either. The menu for the next 3 weeks is peanut butter or bologna sandwiches on paper plates. Um...hey, sorry to tell you but now we're REALLY low on water. Here's a can of fucking GRAPEFRUIT JUICE with which to brush your teeth. All water to the heads has been secured. Sorry, the nuclear reactor needs the water more than you do.

On the little patrol boats, there was no head and no seating of any kind. I stood for 15 hours a day, in 115F degree heat with 99% humidity. I shit in a plastic bag if I was unfortunate enough not to fully evacuate before the day's patrol. I did it for a year.  Our guns were so fucking hot that we couldn't touch them without gloves. The links in the belts of ammunition rusted so quickly in the salt air that they wouldn't fire after 4 -7 days of exposure. I ate so many shawarmas and MRE's that I pray to God that I never, ever see another one.

Now I ain't saying all this because I want a parade or something, I'm just saying that his bragging about lack of comforts is tedious to those of us who've had a shitty day or two.

• Like 10

18 hours ago, Elegua said:

So is this sailing with bullshit? 

Definitely no Bullshit there.

His style makes for a real study in contrasts with Erik, and they're each out there enjoying sailing their own way.  I enjoy them both (so far - I haven't watched enough of either yet to have ODed). 

Often I watch just because I'm just interested to see how they do things.  I skimmed Alluring Arctic's vid on heaters, and I'll probably go back to watch it in full.  It's a lot of talking to the camera, but it might offer some tips on how to keep my own boat warm in the shoulder seasons.

I'll check it out just to see the difference. 

jesus.... you can't see a single project through 'til it's finished so you're going to give the boat away to someone.   Unfortunately someone who is going to need a bunch of $$$$ just to go out for a sail. No thanks.

• Like 1

The only one I still watch is Sampson Boat Co. I guess i got sick of watching other people sailing, or as is more often the case, NOT sailing. Love to watch Leo build that thing and cant wait to see it on the water.

29 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

The only one I still watch is Sampson Boat Co. I guess i got sick of watching other people sailing, or as is more often the case, NOT sailing. Love to watch Leo build that thing and cant wait to see it on the water.

If you like watching people build boats you should also check out Acorn to Arabella, Salt and Tar, and my personal favorite SV Tapatya.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hard aground said:

jesus.... you can't see a single project through 'til it's finished so you're going to give the boat away to someone.   Unfortunately someone who is going to need a bunch of $$$$ just to go out for a sail. No thanks.

anyone considering may want to watch this video about them smashing against some rocks, then taking a peek at the bottom and deciding all was fine

"sposda be 10-15 feet deep"      sounds like somebody has a case of the "Sposdas"

gotta have a sounder

rig broken, boat crash, broken stay, anchor dragged

it does seem to me that if you have enough money to stay in a marina then you get fewer probs

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

it does seem to me that if you have enough money to stay in a marina then you get fewer probs

They're on a pretty tight budget and had a string of unlucky equipment failures, including the knees of their chainplates ripping out on the stbd side.

They're on their first ocean crossing from the Canaries to Guadalupe right now. These videos are front-loaded and on autopilot.  I'm pretty jealous of their passage making. I told them that by the time they make Guadalupe, they'll be the only virus-free spot on the planet. ;)

On 3/12/2020 at 3:57 AM, dylan winter said:

Dunno about that. I'm pretty happy keeping my boat on its heavy duty mooring out the front of my house.

Of course if the average boat drags down on mine, it's going to be their problem not mine WRT broken gear & damaged hull. Plus I can fix everything that can go wrong or get damaged on mine anyway.

FKT

17 hours ago, dylan winter said:

one of the Drenched films plopped into my inbox

I had a look at their video page

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo1SVuhySkvvbMxWljBSY1g/videos

averaging 20,000 views per film - they are failing to get traction

they must have massive overheads

tough gig I reckon

I forget... were they taking paying passengers on that big boat?

Looking at the page, it appears that they are failing to optimally leverage the available bikinis for the thumbnail shots.  Notice the two vids for which a female navel is visible have 3-4x the views of the others.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

gas always makes me nervous

meths is safer

When I decided to fit a LPG stove rather than a kerosene one, the *first* thing I did was fit a combined LPG/carbon monoxide sniffer, hard-wired through its own dedicated fuse direct to the house battery bank. You can't turn it off short of pulling the fuse or the batteries being dead flat. It has a LED so you can see it's drawing power.

Someone once observed that they'd rather take the very small chance of a LPG explosion than the utter certainty of dying of boredom while waiting for a metho stove to cook anything/boil water.

It was the continual maintenance needed for kero stoves that put me off installing one. Plus the PITA factor when you want to light the second burner while the first one is still on. My friends have one, they're happy with it, but my, it has a lot of custom features for fast/reliable burner changes at sea. We had a lot of fun machining those parts last summer.

FKT

Looks like the bilge blew out.  My sniffer is just above the bilge... makes me think I ought to go test it to make sure it works.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, toddster said:

Looks like the bilge blew out.  My sniffer is just above the bilge... makes me think I ought to go test it to make sure it works.  

Mine is too and every so often I do test it.

I did my installation which is technically illegal but I *know* where the pipe goes, how it's protected and am absolutely certain there's no joins in it from the fitting on deck right through to the stove fitting.

Had an alarm go off the other day while out sailing. That got my attention fast. As it happened it was just the main bilge alarm - I'd washed down under the engine with degreaser & fresh water, got most of it out but not all. And a big mobo came past at close quarters for a stickybeak, the wake caused the alarm to trigger for 2-3 seconds.

At least I know it still works.

FKT

On 3/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, dylan winter said:

one of the Drenched films plopped into my inbox

I had a look at their video page

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo1SVuhySkvvbMxWljBSY1g/videos

averaging 20,000 views per film - they are failing to get traction

they must have massive overheads

tough gig I reckon

I think Momma has chipped in a fair chunk of change and a bunk is not free.

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

When I decided to fit a LPG stove rather than a kerosene one, the *first* thing I did was fit a combined LPG/carbon monoxide sniffer, hard-wired through its own dedicated fuse direct to the house battery bank. You can't turn it off short of pulling the fuse or the batteries being dead flat. It has a LED so you can see it's drawing power.

Someone once observed that they'd rather take the very small chance of a LPG explosion than the utter certainty of dying of boredom while waiting for a metho stove to cook anything/boil water.

It was the continual maintenance needed for kero stoves that put me off installing one. Plus the PITA factor when you want to light the second burner while the first one is still on. My friends have one, they're happy with it, but my, it has a lot of custom features for fast/reliable burner changes at sea. We had a lot of fun machining those parts last summer.

FKT

the slow, quiet, safe, simple, foolproof Origo is a wonderful thing.  I am never bored when on board.... I like being on the boat. There are always lots of things to do when waiting the six minutes or so for the kettle to boil.  Cooking steaks is a tough challenge - but a nice slow stew is a warming thing. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

the slow, quiet, safe, simple, foolproof Origo is a wonderful thing.  I am never bored when on board.... I like being on the boat. There are always lots of things to do when waiting the six minutes or so for the kettle to boil.  Cooking steaks is a tough challenge - but a nice slow stew is a warming thing. 

My GF has a Trangia she used a hell of a lot when she did a lot of bushwalking. Quite familiar with metho stoves.

They have a lot of advantages, utter simplicity being one of them. But they're quite poor in heat value and really expensive - at least here in Oz - for fuel.

That said I think stoves are one of those individual preference things - there are no definitive 'right' answers, just what you're happy with and how much space you have. I'm certainly not knocking your choice of something different to what I wanted and agree on the stew choice for cooking regardless. It's also easier/simpler to carry more liquid fuel than the mass/volume of LPG cylinders.

I wanted an oven with decent temperature control among other things and am prepared to live with the very small risk of a gas explosion.

FKT

6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

the slow, quiet, safe, simple, foolproof Origo is a wonderful thing.  

It appears that they have finally stopped making new ones.  

2 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

It appears that they have finally stopped making new ones.  

they are now hard to find

they did try to update it and gave it some round corners

although a trangia works almost as well

there are times when an oven woud be nice - but for warming pies a dry saucepan and trivet work pretty well for all round heat.

I'm amazed. I mean, who wouldn't go in here for the very first time at night, and especially so what with it being 1) unlit, 2) unmarked, and 3) unmaintained?

Easy peasy punkin' pie, no worries, mate, we'll just stay in the deep parts according to the GPS...

SMH

captivaPass.png

Girl with Patreon account sails from hot place to cold place and decides building boats in a hot place is more fun than sailing in a cold place.

4 hours ago, Roam said:

Girl with Patreon account sails from hot place to cold place and decides building boats in a hot place is more fun than sailing in a cold place.

Just when you thought their videos couldn't more boring, they ditch the sailing

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 12:57 AM, dylan winter said:

12 hours ago, Roam said:

53796721_361260921147394_824365952509498

excellent point

so many bikinis  that the gurning thumbnail has taken over

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/41282197

article-1285053279084-0b45bb2d000005dc-1

D

PS

This couple keep on popping into my inbox - their films are immaculate, the two of them are very fragrant, well spoken and polite

but......

a tiny bit dull(ish)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjJH0fF_wXUjARGD-SZfHIQ/videos

50,000 views per film with the bikini thumbnail....

10,000 when they feature a winch or a boat

This thread has been some ride. It lured me onto Youtube long ago, but the sailing library, is a total bust I'm afraid.

The bikini's etc. have flooded online sailing so that anything sailing comes up with the same junk. Too bad, I have only subscribed to one or two channels that are more about classic boats than sailing.  I can't find 'sailing',...

But the good side is that we've found tons of interesting work on Youtube related to other passions like travel, food and excellent architecture/home design/building channels that are ahead of their time in the work that is displayed. Fascinating, artistic, very new thinking.  No cheesy thumbs come up now that I stay off and don't subscribe to the sailing channels.

Once you learn the ropes, Youtube is a great media feed. 

Plus youtube is our go to for real news and journalism, much of which we can get live. Pretty nice as we cut our cable TV decades ago. 

I'm not sure how it will all pan out. We miss Dylan's regular films as we changed TV's and have problems getting onto his website on that. But we have another now with better capability,  and I'll get the connection sorted out to pick up his latest work.

Dylan's work is more than worth supporting. I can't argue getting out of the sailing junk on Youtube. I've yet to watch any of the major sailing channels (Vagabond?) even though they may have some good stuff.  I can't wade through the cheesy facades that crop up, I don't see the sailing in it. 

I used to think the worst thing that has happened to sailing is the trend to turn old boats into housing, and then pretend you're 'out there'.

Now, I'm afraid the worst influence on sailing may be Youtube if the comparison I see online between my other passions is any indicator. This is the entranceway to people curious about sailing. 

And pirates,...pirates with eye patches on everything sailing media. Pirates have nothing to do with sailing. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

This thread has been some ride. It lured me onto Youtube long ago, but the sailing library, is a total bust I'm afraid... And pirates,...pirates with eye patches on everything sailing media. Pirates have nothing to do with sailing. :)

C'mon Kris, everyone knows that pirates in bikinis are the modern day version of sirens...lash yourself to the mast and click on those thumbnails!;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

C'mon Kris, everyone knows that pirates in bikinis are the modern day version of sirens...lash yourself to the mast and click on those thumbnails!;)

Shiver me timbres

pirate-skull-crossbones-mini-micro-bikini.jpg

i am sure everyone is quite concerned about how all those sailing vloggers (and their patreon accounts) are faring in the pandemic. Thankfully, in the spirit of self-promotion, we have our answer

You guys are either slipping or I missed it?

For shits & giggles during self isolation I was wondering whatever happened to the trainwreck that was Sailing Miss Lonestar.  The woman that adopted sailing vlogs & Youtube (BoobTube?) and just left a trail of clusterfucks.  Well turns out she was busted in Florida for Grand Theft shoplifting at a Walmart with her at the time current beau.

Her straight up shameless thumbnail game was always ripe Dylan fodder.

maxresdefault-206.jpg

Presumably to the point this sheriff's office does an end around and drapes female alleged offenders with inflated assets in a barbers apron for their mug shot.

ws7guehc20931.jpg

https://ircsheriff.org/booking-details/1678551764

My quick Google-Fu couldn't find an outcome, but apparently she tried walking out of a Florida Walmart with a $300 cart.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, freewheelin said:

i am sure everyone is quite concerned about how all those sailing vloggers (and their patreon accounts) are faring in the pandemic. Thankfully, in the spirit of self-promotion, we have our answer

that is an astonishing amount of work - and shows how monotonal the succesful sailing video projects are - same boats, same places, same bikinis - and quite a lot of silicone

meanwhile I am making  daily youtube video blog about the UK in lockdown - it is based around an ugly old bloke cycling around and observing things.  I am editing it on a mobile phone - and am learning a  lot about kneejerk reporting and slamming stuff together

as for twerking aubry.....o h dear o dear

we face a weird summer - fortunatly by boat is just 100 yards away from where I sit at my kitchen table writing these words.

D

Stay safe, Dylan. We need you.

• Like 2

through all this lockdown stuff the copyright claiming computers run by sony and Warner continue their important work

these are plopping through the email almost every day

Hi KeepTurningLeft films on my website,

A copyright owner using Content ID has claimed some material in your video.

This is not a copyright strike. This claim does not affect your account status.

There are either ads running on your video, with the revenue going to the copyright owner, or the copyright owner is receiving stats about your video's views.

• Video title: KeepTurningLeft season 6 film 12 sailing to Berwick on Tweed with Dylan Winter
  • Copyrighted content: Bonnie Wee Jeanie McCall (Big Mix)
  • Claimed by: INgrooves

What's next?
If there are no problems, you don't need to take any action. You don't need to delete your video.

If something has gone wrong and the copyright owner or our system made a mistake, we have a dispute process. Only use it if you're confident that you have the rights to use all the content in your video.

Need copyright-safe songs?
When choosing music for your next video, you can avoid copyright-related issues by picking a song from the YouTube Audio Library. We're adding new tracks all the time!

- The YouTube Team

I have been making a daily video blog while out on my bike (which Boris says we are allowed to do - cycling  not blogging). Filming from a bike is an interesting challenge for a 64 year old bloke.  It is harder than filming from a boat but not as hard as filming from the back of a horse.- I  am sure I will hit a pothole and come a cropper at some stage.

The comments have been interesting and my youtbe hits are up 8 fold - but all the films belong to google anyway even the ones without any music.

.   I am also learning a lot about editing films on a cheap smartphone - it is a bit like changing a lightbulb through a letterbox. The stats show that 70 per cent of the films are watched on smartphones. I  have been wasting my time making the sailing films in HD

I am going to carry on rowing on the estuary... I push the dinghy down to the estuary foreshore and it is good excercise.

Stay well chaps, stay fit, stay happy

D

• Like 3

Dylan,

Do not give up your HD- films, love them.

Bjorkski

I feel for ‘Brows on La vagabond. Imagine being stuck on a boat with that moron.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 3:17 AM, dylan winter said:

that is an astonishing amount of work - and shows how monotonal the succesful sailing video projects are - same boats, same places, same bikinis - and quite a lot of silicone

meanwhile I am making  daily youtube video blog about the UK in lockdown - it is based around an ugly old bloke cycling around and observing things.  I am editing it on a mobile phone - and am learning a  lot about kneejerk reporting and slamming stuff together

as for twerking aubry.....o h dear o dear

we face a weird summer - fortunatly by boat is just 100 yards away from where I sit at my kitchen table writing these words.

D

The Wynns got stuck in transit  on the way back to their boat and are stuck in Fiji quarantine for 14 days.   Dont know when they can get to their boat Tonga  

Its the new phase of YouTube click bait.  "Come see our cute babies".  Bwahahaha.  :D

Of course. An Open 40 was too roomy so they changed to a trimaran. Well you might get 5 small children and 2 adults around the table for dinner but even that seems doubtful.

At some point you'd think birth control would be cheaper than feeding them all. Apparently very nice folks so I shall cease the mocking.

gav49-3.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Of course. An Open 40 was too roomy so they changed to a trimaran. Well you might get 5 small children and 2 adults around the table for dinner but even that seems doubtful.

At some point you'd think birth control would be cheaper than feeding them all. Apparently very nice folks so I shall cease the mocking.

gav49-3.jpg

I don't know, they are living their lives the way they want.  Is there something wrong with that?

• Like 2