dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

To be fair, just about every boat/video posted in this thread has received a thorough critique/mocking. Without going back to check, i'm willing to bet that zonker didn't break through standard that had been established by earlier post.

1 hour ago, Dogscout said:

I hope your all getting ready for the new batch of episodes.   We've all seen the swimming with pigs, we've all gone shopping and given it that magical term "provisioning".  Now the new youtube blockbuster!  We're stuck!  Cant check in or check out because of the virus.  Oh woe is us!  Next week on spiffy sailing adventures project.  

Apparently the new blockbuster is getting knocked up.  Thanks for the mammaries.

• Like 4

On 3/28/2020 at 11:11 AM, Zonker said:

Nope. I thought my tone was "gently mocking" but sometimes that doesn't translate into the written word.

This is the website of the yacht designer but not a lot of info: 

http://www.bosgraafyachtdesign.com/sailingyachts/gaviota49.html

That looks like an interesting boat. I'd like to know more about it. Don't know the Anasazi family, but cool that they have cool boat.

I would have figured a trimaran would be perfect for kids. You can send them out to play on the trampoline. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the links, Leo. That's a big boat for folding. I know that it's been done, but what an engineering challenge. It looks like it should be heavy, but not a huge underbody so it must not be. The beams aren't attractive, but the rest of the boat seems to be.

imagine the marina fees

and

if you don't want to pay 6 x the price of an ordinary boat for access to a tap, the web and a shower then

the surging around on a mooring in anything more than a force 2 would be a bummer

I will stick with the  string of humble 4 knot shitboxes I have owned

- the birds, the creeks, the sigh of wind in the trees, the salt marshes, the mountains and the lochs.

6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

imagine the marina fees

and

if you don't want to pay 6 x the price of an ordinary boat for access to a tap, the web and a shower then

the surging around on a mooring in anything more than a force 2 would be a bummer

I will stick with the  string of humble 4 knot shitboxes I have owned

- the birds, the creeks, the sigh of wind in the trees, the salt marshes, the mountains and the lochs.

The water from the bog spread over all the interior surfaces of the boat...

The gentle soporific of the carbon monoxide wafting from the double flowerpot cabin heater...

Don't be mean,  you guys. 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Not being mean, just taking the piss out in an affectionate way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IStream said:
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Not being mean, just taking the piss out in an affectionate way.

Hell yes.

• Like 1

Well well well.....

Pays not to succumb to a clickbait headline...

• Like 1

I've liked this v-log. Nice boat, competent sailors, they have a nice sailing hard dinghy - the only fault might be that it is possibly a little sanitized/anodyne 

On 3/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, dylan winter said:

I use gmail

mentioning stuff in an email - or even reading stuff on here seems to influence what turns up in my youtube feed

they have you... and google owns almost everything I have ever filmed....and most of what I have written .... which is pretty freaky

Don't use gmail, just a gmail address with fake data to log into YouTube. Use an ad blocker and a tracker preventer like Ghostery. Wipe your cookies regularly.

Oh, and get a Mac. Yeah, it costs more, but it'll last 5 times as long as your <insert cheap Chinese Windows Brand> machine anyway. If you have an attractive young female relative and need help, send them to the Genius Bar and odds are they'll get things fixed for free or nearly so - those guys are lonely.

I dumped my Google account records and came up essentially blank - like I like it. I think they have to be honest about that.

I'm an EE, software developer, and circuit designer, did a bunch of video for my kids' school, (though *nowhere, not even on the same planet* near Dylan's quality of work!), and naturally am called on for all the clan's tech support, and finally abandoned the Windows/Android support roles. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Sorry for the thread drift.

1 hour ago, rattus32 said:

Oh, and get a Mac. Yeah, it costs more, but it'll last 5 times as long as your <insert cheap Chinese Windows Brand> machine anyway. If you have an attractive young female relative and need help, send them to the Genius Bar and odds are they'll get things fixed for free or nearly so - those guys are lonely.

I dumped my Google account records and came up essentially blank - like I like it. I think they have to be honest about that.

I'm an EE, software developer, and circuit designer, did a bunch of video for my kids' school, (though *nowhere, not even on the same planet* near Dylan's quality of work!), and naturally am called on for all the clan's tech support, and finally abandoned the Windows/Android support roles. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Sorry for the thread drift.

BS. I'd like to see you using your 35 or 40 year old Mac. And haul it to Genius Bar for fixing. I think even Rossman group would give it a pass.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Upp3 said:

BS. I'd like to see you using your 35 or 40 year old Mac. And haul it to Genius Bar for fixing. I think even Rossman group would give it a pass.

I'm on year 3 at work with my HP laptop. Before that I got 8 years out of a Toshiba. At home I use one of my kids' cast-off laptops - 8 years old.  I have an iphone but I'm not happy about Apple's planned-obsolescence programs. Screw Apple. 

• Like 2

I'm on a 8 year old PC, working great.  Upgraded the video card a few years back so I could play a particular game.  Replaced the power supply once - how much would a fucking "genius" charge me for that?

• Like 1

The laptop is a government surplus ThinkPad T400 I got for $75, I had a spare license for Win7 lying around, and it's working just fine.

The desktop is a new replacement for an 8-year-old computer that went erratic on me.

Hell, I've still got a couple of machines running Windoz 95.  And Mac OS7.  

They don't do much, but they keep on doing it.

My son is stuck on the other coast (Ish's side) with my 'new' (<5 yr) HP laptop so I am using a 14 year-old laptop that was originally running Vista but is now on Linux. I have never seen a functioning 10+ year-old Apple product (though there must be some in a museum somewhere). While my daughter went through 3 iPhones, I had the same Samsung Rugby - one battery replacement and a full cycle in the washing machine later. There is some hope that when all this virus shit settles down we will get some 'right to repair' legislation like in Europe, but Apple is fighting it - they are the masters of planned obsolescence and long product life would hurt their bottom line.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toddster said:

Hell, I've still got a couple of machines running Windoz 95.  And Mac OS7.  

They don't do much, but they keep on doing it.

Oh, yeah. I have a machine tucked away with native Vista, I put in another hard drive to load Linux. Chugging away.

1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

My son is stuck on the other coast (Ish's side) with my 'new' (<5 yr) HP laptop so I am using a 14 year-old laptop that was originally running Vista but is now on Linux. I have never seen a functioning 10+ year-old Apple product (though there must be some in a museum somewhere).

Funny because I've a 10+ year old white Macbook running in the back room ATM.

Typing this on an early 2013 Macbook Pro.

Interesting you mention Vista - that was the absolute last straw for me & Windoze operating systems. A computer is a tool to get work done as far as I'm concerned. If it doesn't facilitate my work, it's garbage.

Prior to OS X I wouldn't touch an Apple computer with a barge pole. Since then the o/s has been *way* superior to any & all Windoze offerings. Though the way they're going I foresee another crack at running a Linux distro in my future - every time I've done this I eventually give up because there are enough buggy things that drive me nuts. Though I currently have LinuxCNC running on one machine in the workshop.

FKT

20 hours ago, Upp3 said:

I was maybe expressing some hyperbole when I said 5x the life, but we used to toss the Windows machines regularly at 3 years. If it wasn't the disks, it was the displays, hinges, malfunctioning keyboards, you name it. When you have 20 suppliers offering essentially the same product, and a user base motivated primarily by initial cost, it's a race to the bottom.

Yes, there were a few quality Windows machines, notably the *real* IBM ThinkPads, but they were still burdened by their OS. And they cost. But they made great Linux conversions. And wife's still running her 12 y.o. MBP.

But wasn't it ironic having Bill Gates talking about the Coronavirus threat? If anyone has experience with virii, it's him. ;-)

I have had workhorses and lemons from both sides of the fence.  Plus the other outlying kingdoms like SG and HP (back when they had their proprietary O$’s) 

The thing that really decides the daily driver for me... NUMEROUS times, I’ve been in work situations where the Whinedoze lUsers spent entire days trying to get their laptops to network, while the Mac users just sat down and... worked.  And I’m talking about room-fulls of NASA Ph.D. Engineers here. One wasted-day-avoided, at our charge-out rates, more than paid for the extra cost of the Mac.  And I vividly remember a NSF study section where they had a whole conference room set up with whinedoze laptops securely networked for everyone to process the confidential information... and it fucking didn’t work.  Until people started pulling their macs out of their backpacks and... did the work.  By the time they got the official network to work, at who knows what cost, we already had the work done.

Of course, Apple does all kinds of other shit that totally pisses me off.

Oh.  Fuck.  Sorry.  I don’t usually wade in to religious arguments.  A few too many Coronatinis tonight.

Oh, SHit, shit.. BONUS anecdote: One year at the AAAS convention in Seattle, (I don’t usually attend, but my company (er... the company that owned me, at the time, I mean) was running it) I was napping in an empty hall, when some activity on the stage disturbed my rest.  Bill Gates was rehearsing his presentation for the following hour. (So that’s why a third of the hall was roped-off.  For the paparazzi that followed him everywhere, as it turned out.) Anyway, his mind-blowing presentation was introducing a cutting-edge Micro$haft video-chat system.  Basically it was Skype 0.5.  Really amazing at the time.  Bill spent the entire hour working with the A/V guys to try to conceal the  Apple menu bar at the top of the screen.  In the end, they put a piece of tape on the projector lens.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, rattus32 said:

I was maybe expressing some hyperbole when I said 5x the life, but we used to toss the Windows machines regularly at 3 years. If it wasn't the disks, it was the displays, hinges, malfunctioning keyboards, you name it. When you have 20 suppliers offering essentially the same product, and a user base motivated primarily by initial cost, it's a race to the bottom.

Yes, there were a few quality Windows machines, notably the *real* IBM ThinkPads, but they were still burdened by their OS. And they cost. But they made great Linux conversions. And wife's still running her 12 y.o. MBP.

You were certainly exaggerating and I knew that, but someone else reading might not know and take you seriously. Apple makes nice design and their OS is likely better for someone who doesn't like tinker with their computer (I have no first hand experience with it though). When you mention keyboards, first thing that come come to my mind is butterfly keyboard. And the ease of replacement when dealing with non Apple stuff. No need to fear that your data will be erased in service. Apple does things easier for someone who doesn't want or need to spec things and who is willing to pay the price. Outside of their ecosystem you have to be more careful as there isn't big brother to watching out for you. There will be corners shaved during the race to the bottom.

And back to the topic of girls and hot places, here is dude in cold place:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toddster said:

The thing that really decides the daily driver for me... NUMEROUS times, I’ve been in work situations where the Whinedoze lUsers spent entire days trying to get their laptops to network, while the Mac users just sat down and... worked.  And I’m talking about room-fulls of NASA Ph.D. Engineers here. One wasted-day-avoided, at our charge-out rates, more than paid for the extra cost of the Mac.

That, in a nutshell, is why I have a Macbook.

I go to a secure lab in a Govt building, With correct authorisation keys, on the network in seconds, connect to databases and get to work.

Shift to a different lab in a different city, different Govt, do it again.

Go back 12 months later, my computer still knows all the settings - might have to update the password or something.

Windows used to be a NIGHTMARE. Linux regularly forgot my network & video settings. Apple's OS X is basically unix under the GUI so I can shell out to a CLI any time I want, use ssh or sftp or other unix level tools to get stuff done if the GUI is getting in my way. I can set up my laptop to be a sftp server or allow remote access via ssh or similar, not just something like remote desktop.

I started programming on mainframes, in FORTRAN, using punched cards. Computers are *tools* as far as I'm concerned. The Windows o/s is a major productivity killer, not enhancer.

Apple hardware is pretty nice but my GF has a pretty old Toshiba 13" laptop with early SSD and that thing is bulletproof - and has more ports than my new Macbook. I wish she'd buy a new computer just so I can have her Toshiba to put a linux distro and OpenCPN on.

FKT

• Like 3

Can't argue with the fact there are legions of happy Apple users. What pisses me off with Apple is their arrogance towards their end users - Apple knows best, so we are bringing you the latest OS update that will kill all the non-Apple peripheral hardware/software (audio interfaces, video programs, to name a few) that you just spent $ on, because we can't be bothered to share source code with other developers...and we, Apple, have determined that you, the customer, doesn't need to have USB ports, 1/8" audio jacks, or replacement batteries for your tablet or phone...If all you need in your diet is an apple a day, go for it.

Yes, computers are just tools and they should just work. But I happen to be the type who wants to decide what angle to grind for the bevel on my block plane, or if I want to 'chip' my truck's computer for better fuel economy. YMMV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Can't argue with the fact there are legions of happy Apple users. What pisses me off with Apple is their arrogance towards their end users - Apple knows best, so we are bringing you the latest OS update that will kill all the non-Apple peripheral hardware/software (audio interfaces, video programs, to name a few) that you just spent $ on, because we can't be bothered to share source code with other developers...and we, Apple, have determined that you, the customer, doesn't need to have USB ports, 1/8" audio jacks, or replacement batteries for your tablet or phone...If all you need in your diet is an apple a day, go for it.

Yes, computers are just tools and they should just work. But I happen to be the type who wants to decide what angle to grind for the bevel on my block plane, or if I want to 'chip' my truck's computer for better fuel economy. YMMV

Pffft.  Next, you'll be telling us that you should have the right to repair your own vehicles and tractors instead of being held hostage to a John Deere field technician while your crop withers and dies out in the field.

The gall!

• Like 4

We have been using HP Elite and Zbook series laptops for the past 15 years or so and they've been great. I'm still using a 2010 vintage laptop retired from the office as my home computer. So basically daily hard use for 7 or so years and home use for the past three. Mostly we've replaced batteries and the occasional hard drive but most of the problems have been user induced physical damage. Even then they've had to try pretty hard and fixing them isn't too hard either. I think the trick is buying the business grade stuff over the consumer grade stuff. 

Apple is ok, but other than an ipod, I haven't used one regularly since the old box all in one mackintosh and apple IIe days and for the life of me now, the os makes no sense to me whatsoever.  We just bought the kids a couple ipad minis and I'm already getting pissed off at them just trying to set them up. I think my brain is just pre-wired for windows and android. 

• Like 1

My apple story.   She who shall be nameless put too much crap in my briefcase and broke the screen.  I took it to Apple for repair.  They could fix it there for like $500 or send it out and be repaired for $300.ccI chose the $300 and got back a completely refurbished machine.  New screen, upgraded HD new keyboard, case, etc.   3 months later it stops working.  Bring it in and they tell me it became a legacy and they would no longer support it.  The new laptop was over $2200.  I guess I was a little loud because the manager came over to see what the problem was.  She offered me a $700 discount on a new machine.  I told her I always buy refurbished, could she discount that price.  Well, they didn't have my exact specs, only a better one.  She finally agreed to discount a new machine to the refurbished price plus the $700 discount.  When I saw the laptop I asked "Where's the disc drive"?  She threw in a free one.  Then I asked where is the firewire port so she through in an adapter.  When all was said and done I saved over a grand and was very satisfied.  The hard part was transferring all of my files.

Our business is small, but pretty computer intensive. Software / hardware development for embedded systems & instrumentation, UI design, and CAD. I don’t like to think about how many computers- both Mac and Windows- the two if us have gone through over the years. My wife is the “real” engineer, she started programming on DEC machines with assembly & paper tape.

We have used Macs since the first toasters came out.  I just came across an invoice for a “developer” deal we got in ’89 for a Mac IICX with an 8 bit video card, 1200 baud modem, & a 300 dpi (!) laser printer. It was for $7500, which I believe was about 50% of retail.  Plenty of Windows (and DOS) machines have passed through us as well, since some of the development tools we need are Win only- much less of an issue now than in the past.

Our Macs have typically lasted at least 10 years- we are now on a couple of 27” iMacs that are 6 & 9 years old, and three laptops that are 5, 9, and 12. I still have several older machines that still work, but won’t run the most recent OS and are therefore limited for the kinds of work we do. Generally we need to stay fairly current to utilize the best tools.

That’s almost always why we have replaced computers- need new hardware to run some software tool that we want to use. I don’t think it is planned obsolescence to keep pushing hardware capabilities forward. But I do still recall the horror when Apple stopped including floppy disk drives. We pass older computers on to family or donate them.

We have replaced several Windows machines because of hardware failures, but never that I recall have we had to replace a Mac because it failed in use- had to replace drives when they went bad or when I wanted to update to SSD, but I never encountered anything I could not easily do myself- with one exception. The first Titanium laptop I got in 2001 spontaneously ignited when I first plugged it in. Jets of flame. But I still have its replacement, kept as an iconic example of design, and it can still um, fire up. In fairness, we had a brick of an old HP laptop that kept going nearly as long.

Personally, we both prefer using the Macs for day to day stuff, email, web, etc. My wife uses Windows quite a lot for specific tools, but has gone to just running it on an Apple laptop. That way when traveling she can have both systems with her.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

So, you use linux, then?

Because Windoze would decide that everyone needed to have a 90 deg grind, force feed it out and then lock things so you couldn't change it, all the while sending every bit of personal information off home.

Do any of you guys run outbound port monitoring/blocking software? If not, you'd be *amazed* at just how much information leaks from your computer. I run Little Snitch on all my Macbooks to stop this crap. I don't think there is an equivalent for Windoze and I'm not sure if you can block o/s level supervisor stuff from tattling anyway (short of an external router with port blocking).

Whatever - it's a tool, you use the one that feels best. I have 2 metal lathes of approx the same work envelope, 1 gets used maybe 10X the other because I like the ergonomics better. I keep them both because one is metric and the other is in antique units useful for making bits for obsolete things (such as the majority of my machine tools).

FKT

• Like 1

Oh my computer.  Oh my.  Keyboards and screens and shit.  Oh it’s important.  My brand.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kgatesman said:

Oh my computer.  Oh my.  Keyboards and screens and shit.  Oh it’s important.  My brand.  

Vi is better than emacs. Discuss.

Cheers,

W. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ajax said:

Pffft.  Next, you'll be telling us that you should have the right to repair your own vehicles and tractors instead of being held hostage to a John Deere field technician while your crop withers and dies out in the field.

The gall!

Might be coming to boats too? https://catamaran-outremer.com/en/e-maintenance-3/

Epic Fred Drift here.

As an old bloke who sails running a video website aimed at old blokes who sail there was a period when  I spending a fair amount of time helping people to make the website work on their machines

I would have said that half the people who needed help were mac users - they had been told to buy macs because they were easier to use.  In their heads they were at the tec sharp end -

One bloke was angry with me because my website had broken his mac - another one told me that he had a top spec mac and it should be able to handle HD video - upon further enquiry it turned out his top spec machine was eight years old - his faith that it was a mac and therefore superior was touching.

My strategy was to help people for ten or twelve emails and then if we were still failing just wing a refund back to them and ask if they are a grandparent - in which case maybe give some cash to a handy 14 year old for some tec support. I got some lovely follow up emails from old blokes - or their granchildren -  who told me that they  had got everything working smoothly.  Some had downloaded everything onto a hard drive or even dats dvds for the elderly to use.  Now youtbe streams everything at just the right data rate for your machine.

I am pleased to say that all these probs are over and Wordpress seems to talk to almost every computer ever made that still runs - I am writing this on an elderly Toshiba and I edit the films of a 7 year old dell.

I am sure that worpress hoovers up all sorts of data (it is free so that is how things work) , but then so does google, youtube, sailing anarchy and YBW.  Sony, Google and Warner own almost everything I have ever created and posted because I once clicked a box saying that I had read and agreed to their 20,000 word (plus 100,000 words of additional annexes) contract. Contracts often use the phrase  "in perpetuity and in the known and as yet unknown universe " - which is damn close to poetry. I have a friends whose wife is a lawyer - she ran an eye over the google/youtube contract and said it was the most incredible thing she had ever read - she said that I had all but agreed to them coming into my house and taking away my children.

I don't really care if google knows what I am doing on-line - and if by knowing that I am interested in boats, politics and bikes it stops the web  from throwing adverts about cruises/cars/vitamins at me then that is marvelous.

As for sailing in these weird times  - the Stour, Orwell and Harwich harbour have been closed to leisure sailors (so as not to impede free flow of trade - not sure that makes sense) - The Deben is not closed - the local harbour master says he has not been told to stop local people sailing - so he says carry on.  We are still allowed to ride our bikes and walk for excercise. Swimming and rowing has not yet been banned.

here is a film of what sailing was like in the old days - before  the shit hit the fan. I am still hoping to get back to scotland and make some more films about that miraculous place - but the clock is ticking - this is another year gone when I will not be going back up there. I turn 65 two days after christmas and I am still as far from  buying a reliable fisher 25 as I ever have been.

Dylan

• Like 10
  • Downvote 1

That is a fine sailing essay without a single typed or spoken word. Should be required viewing before you're allowed to dump your load into the Youtube sailing genre landfill. 

Sailing is organic and caveman simple but not everyone gets it.

I'm reminded of that when I see this photo of a sailboat made from a lobster buoy. Our kids used to make these on countless beaches we sailed to over decades.

Built out of beach flotsam, after a little tweaking, every one, just sailed away. 

2027670286_Buoypondsailer.thumb.jpg.ef6af444ae91a8e5b8e483c7812ee4e8.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Epic Fred Drift here.

As an old bloke who sails running a video website aimed at old blokes who sail there was a period when  I spending a fair amount of time helping people to make the website work on their machines

I would have said that half the people who needed help were mac users - they had been told to buy macs because they were easier to use.  In their heads they were at the tec sharp end -

One bloke was angry with me because my website had broken his mac - another one told me that he had a top spec mac and it should be able to handle HD video - upon further enquiry it turned out his top spec machine was eight years old - his faith that it was a mac and therefore superior was touching.

My strategy was to help people for ten or twelve emails and then if we were still failing just wing a refund back to them and ask if they are a grandparent - in which case maybe give some cash to a handy 14 year old for some tec support. I got some lovely follow up emails from old blokes - or their granchildren -  who told me that they  had got everything working smoothly.  Some had downloaded everything onto a hard drive or even dats dvds for the elderly to use.  Now youtbe streams everything at just the right data rate for your machine.

I am pleased to say that all these probs are over and Wordpress seems to talk to almost every computer ever made that still runs - I am writing this on an elderly Toshiba and I edit the films of a 7 year old dell.

I am sure that worpress hoovers up all sorts of data (it is free so that is how things work) , but then so does google, youtube, sailing anarchy and YBW.  Sony, Google and Warner own almost everything I have ever created and posted because I once clicked a box saying that I had read and agreed to their 20,000 word (plus 100,000 words of additional annexes) contract. Contracts often use the phrase  "in perpetuity and in the known and as yet unknown universe " - which is damn close to poetry. I have a friends whose wife is a lawyer - she ran an eye over the google/youtube contract and said it was the most incredible thing she had ever read - she said that I had all but agreed to them coming into my house and taking away my children.

I don't really care if google knows what I am doing on-line - and if by knowing that I am interested in boats, politics and bikes it stops the web  from throwing adverts about cruises/cars/vitamins at me then that is marvelous.

As for sailing in these weird times  - the Stour, Orwell and Harwich harbour have been closed to leisure sailors (so as not to impede free flow of trade - not sure that makes sense) - The Deben is not closed - the local harbour master says he has not been told to stop local people sailing - so he says carry on.  We are still allowed to ride our bikes and walk for excercise. Swimming and rowing has not yet been banned.

here is a film of what sailing was like in the old days - before  the shit hit the fan. I am still hoping to get back to scotland and make some more films about that miraculous place - but the clock is ticking - this is another year gone when I will not be going back up there. I turn 65 two days after christmas and I am still as far from  buying a reliable fisher 25 as I ever have been.

Dylan

Absolutely brilliant. Thanks Dylan.

Thank you so much, I hope you find your Fisher.

26 minutes ago, guerdon said:

Thank you so much, I hope you find your Fisher.

finding them is easy.....

they made around 300 of them so around 30 come on the market every year - most are owned by old blokes so they tend to be the last boat people ever own - some have been cared for - some are a bit ropey

but if I borrowed the money from the bank using the house as security I could buy one straight away - setting covid19 probs aside.

However, my dad would be pinwheeling in his grave if I borrowed money to buy a boat - and my wife would certainly leave me.

Despite the lovely weather I film in scotland for every two days afloat I spend at least three down below waiting for it to stop raining. I did spend five days stuck on a mooring in Plockton - 110 inches of rain a year....but when the sun comes out it is like being kissed by an angel.

Dylan

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

finding them is easy.....

they made around 300 of them so around 30 come on the market every year - most are owned by old blokes so they tend to be the last boat people ever own - some have been cared for - some are a bit ropey

but if I borrowed the money from the bank using the house as security I could buy one straight away - setting covid19 probs aside.

However, my dad would be pinwheeling in his grave if I borrowed money to buy a boat - and my wife would certainly leave me.

Despite the lovely weather I film in scotland for every two days afloat I spend at least three down below waiting for it to stop raining. I did spend five days stuck on a mooring in Plockton - 110 inches of rain a year....but when the sun comes out it is like being kissed by an angel.

Dylan

after 5 days below that angel better have been giving you tongue!

1 hour ago, chester said:

after 5 days below that angel better have been giving you tongue!

foreheads only with scottish angels

because scotland is home of the wee marys

Holly/Wind Hippie Sailing still rocking it, showing how it’s done.  Currently Las Perlas, Panama, making the most of Covid times.  (Some of her recent “how-to” vids are good too - very adept young sailor. Zero bullshit here.)

On 4/8/2020 at 1:10 PM, sailm8 said:

My apple story.   She who shall be nameless put too much crap in my briefcase and broke the screen.  I took it to Apple for repair.  They could fix it there for like $500 or send it out and be repaired for $300.ccI chose the $300 and got back a completely refurbished machine.  New screen, upgraded HD new keyboard, case, etc.   3 months later it stops working.  Bring it in and they tell me it became a legacy and they would no longer support it.  The new laptop was over $2200.  I guess I was a little loud because the manager came over to see what the problem was.  She offered me a $700 discount on a new machine.  I told her I always buy refurbished, could she discount that price.  Well, they didn't have my exact specs, only a better one.  She finally agreed to discount a new machine to the refurbished price plus the $700 discount.  When I saw the laptop I asked "Where's the disc drive"?  She threw in a free one.  Then I asked where is the firewire port so she through in an adapter.  When all was said and done I saved over a grand and was very satisfied.  The hard part was transferring all of my files.

Thus my recommendation you send in an attractive young female relation (all the Genius Bar folks in Denver metro are guys, not meaning to be sexist); my daughter utterly *destroyed* her 5 year-old MBP (fell 10' off an outdoor ledge and landed in what's best described as a moat outside her dorm) and got the disk recovered, replaced, motherboard replaced, battery replaced, keyboard cleaned, and doG knows what else for $110.

Have them bat those eyelashes and shed a tear, and "I'm on it!". ;-)

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

enough computer bollix

back to old blokes sailing in tough places

It is unbelievable that this guy gets so little views. His videos are very good, the cinematography of the scenario stunning. The world is really fucked up.

Or better said, there are worlds within worlds and often the ones we inhabit are small, very few care about them and only passion keep them alive.

For all the rest you can always flash tits

6 hours ago, Cuntyhunk said:

It is unbelievable that this guy gets so little views. His videos are very good, the cinematography of the scenario stunning. The world is really fucked up.

Or better said, there are worlds within worlds and often the ones we inhabit are small, very few care about them and only passion keep them alive.

For all the rest you can always flash tits

I think it might be nice if a few of you opened his film in youtube and left a comment of appreciation - he might make some more films.

In the meantime this blokes makes far better videos - according to the youtube algorithm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jbs62tQQvdZ2udNHU3ADA/videos

• Like 1

Since the bikini clad beauties are no longer allowed to sail to hot places, I'm stuck watching old seadogs waxing eloquent about past glories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

I think it might be nice if a few of you opened his film in youtube and left a comment of appreciation - he might make some more films.

In the meantime this blokes makes far better videos - according to the youtube algorithm

People really love those MacGregors !

27 minutes ago, Roam said:

People really love those MacGregors !

I merely typed macgregor and bikini into the youtube search box

Dylan

PS I would be quite happy to sail one

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I did subscribe to the channel, and I will definitely leave a comment of appreciation for the hard work once I have watched more of their videos.

• Like 1

Sorry, no tits, just Breton surfers cruising beautiful and cold places to find good waves.

It changes from the usual drama and they seem to be in a competition for the biggest understatement. "6 feet swell today so it's good but tomorrow's forecast is 40 knots so we need to be sharp and exit the anchorage at midday. "

• Like 1

This French guy has some great cold water sailing footage. Well edited and with no Erik Bloodaxe commentary.

6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

His thumbnail game is strong.

image.png

11 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

His thumbnail game is strong.

image.png

Her bikini collection would fit in my pill sorter.

15 hours ago, morefish said:

This French guy has some great cold water sailing footage. Well edited and with no Erik Bloodaxe commentary.

The shots are beautifully planned and executed. A lot of sailing shown. 

16 hours ago, morefish said:

Cool video, the guy has a blog there : http://pandorak.net/

Interesting person, he cycled around the world when he was younger, crossed the Atlantic on a 30 footer boat...

2 hours ago, Cuntyhunk said:

The shots are beautifully planned and executed. A lot of sailing shown. 

Mooring for composition by the look of it here.

Screenshot_2020-04-15_at_16_47_59.png

On 4/14/2020 at 10:48 AM, dylan winter said:

enough computer bollix

back to old blokes sailing in tough places

And in a Fisher 37. Looks like a good strong boat for those waters.

When did professional surfers/bloggers start to make enuff money to buy Gunboats????? And take off for a year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longy said:

When did professional surfers/bloggers start to make enuff money to buy Gunboats????? And take off for a year?

My guess is when they quit their tech gig where they cashed out their options.   At least, I have seen that over and over and over.

• Like 1

J J Florence has always been a surfer. There seem to be a growing number of vlog'ing surfers, probably looking at the success of "Who is JOB"  done by Jamie O'Brian

Meanwhile our Breton surfers found a wave they liked :

No tits, no gunboat....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, longy said:

I don't know, but I would sign up for that gig in a heartbeat! (badass surfer with a gunboat for a cruiser) 

23 hours ago, longy said:

J J Florence has always been a surfer. There seem to be a growing number of vlog'ing surfers, probably looking at the success of "Who is JOB"  done by Jamie O'Brian

Yea, kinda Influenced by JOB on the vlog side of things but,  if you follow these things,  John John been making films dating back about 8-9 years.  

‘View from a blue moon” (2015) well worth a look.

The english versions of the tits and ass sailing videos either really don't cut it, or are charmingly unique, depending on your pov.

https://youtu.be/os84Bdm4msE

oh ffs, just click the link to see, was trying to do the embed thing like the ones above but can't figure it out. Any tips on that?

21 minutes ago, steveyates said:

oh ffs, just click the link to see, was trying to do the embed thing like the ones above but can't figure it out. Any tips on that?

Instead of the abbreviated url you used, try this one to embed a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os84Bdm4msE

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, St.Finbarr said:

30 minutes ago, steveyates said:

The english versions of the tits and ass sailing videos either really don't cut it, or are charmingly unique, depending on your pov.

59 minutes ago, steveyates said:

How did you do that? :)

there is a share button under the youtube film

there is a link - copy and paste

• Like 3

On 4/15/2020 at 9:18 PM, longy said:

when they become world champions?

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

there is a share button under the youtube film

there is a link - copy and paste

ok, i thought I had done that, and was just getting a link, and not the image on here.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:52 AM, dylan winter said:

The video was great, but the "Discovering a Somber New Land" soundtrack leaves something to be desired.

The Newfies have a fine folk music tradition, perhaps he should employ that. I subscribed and liked.

The latest John John F. video is out. Ep 3 and 4. They visit Palmyra, Washington, and Fanning Island. Best cinematography is Ep. 4. Helps to have a pro videographer do the work. Makes you realise how hard it is to produce stunning work. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks for those guys - the video footage on Palmyra Atoll was fabulous.   I liked the Bosun too! 

To me this place was the highpoint of the trip home from the kenwood cup, this is the only place i've ever let sharks nibble round my toes. One thing they dont mention though is the 2 dogs that lived there, Pal and Myra, nature adaption if ever there was, they lived on shark caught by them on the shallow coral, loads of splashing and leaping and hey presto dinner, 2 very happy dogs , i hope they werent just killed by the greenies.......because they could

• Like 1