dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Kris - do you know wherein Nova Scotia Ti is laid up for the winter? I'd like to try and have a look, once the snow banks recede at bit.

Hi Jim, I believe TI is at the Baddeck Marine Boatyard. She's a 36' Alden Mistral.

http://www.baddeckmarine.com/

Darn. that's about a five hour drive from me; I'd need a good excuse for a drive up to Cape Breton. I hope to head up that way in the boat this summer, but she'll be way up Newfoundland way by then.

Does it become OK when they sail boats designed by Bob?

Tough crowd. :)

Tough crowd. :)

Yes,

I actually follow only 2 vlogs, her and Dylan. She certainly wasn't the best sailor when she started but she's quite clever and is learning fast.

I am pretty sure Bob has designed this boat. He has posted a photo in CA and I recognised the boat straight away.

Looks like a Chuck Paine Kanter built Bougainvillea

Edit: I stand corrected. I looked at their website and it is indeed a 60 ft Perry, Dutch built.

The boat in the vid is very similar to the Bougainvillea. Here is another Paine boat built to the same plans.

post-17161-0-76317500-1488590575_thumb.jpg

The Marlin is a Bob Perry design.

For those that can read German:

https://www.marlin-expeditions.com/schiff/

For who can't, you can still find the info on that page: Design: Robert Perry 60′ at Lloyd’s standards

Coincidentally, I just happened to read a report about that little trip from one of the guys on board. He writes a blog - in German, of course.

http://skipper-marcus.de/index.php/category/fahrtensegeln/toernberichte/?lang=de_de

It was kind of interesting to read about the trip from the opposite perspective and then see Nike Steiger's vlog report on the same trip.

Oh, just so nobody complains...

1-19.jpg

I had the opportunity to interview this nice couple about their sailing voyages and experience. After having already circumnavigated they are focusing in Arctic Sailing.

It seems they just started working on their video channel, so there are not many videos yet. It's kind of the opposite approach of making movies even before start sailing, like the Salty Mermaid (who's boat is totaled, apparently).

Here is the link to the interview: http://www.psychologyofsailing.com/outdoor_life_interview/

is it me or is it hard to focus on what they're saying with those tits staring back? :P

ps....just turn the sound off

is it me or is it hard to focus on what they're saying with those tits staring back? :P

ps....just turn the sound off

H O L Y F U C K.

Their boat got wreaked and they didn't realise that the insurance would only pay out the amount they paid for it, not what he thought it was worth. So now they have learnt so much about insurance they are going to make a video about it to help others?

These two make the La Vag gang look like Rhodes Scholars. (She has much better tits however) My favourite bit was when she said they won't have another boat for at least a year but want to keep making videos and asked for their faithful viewers to send in suggestions about what kind of videos they would like to see them make in the meantime.

Well here is mine. Since I have zero intrest in seeing his junk how an out some girl on girl action or just her on the couch with what's left of the tiller.

These kids did everything correctly, give them a break.

What a clusterfuck. They hired a captain, who drove their boat into a bridge? They have it all on video - he started his run at the draw bridge with a following current before the bridge was opened. Then the bridge opening stopped...

Then in the yard for the survey they take the mast down and the freaking crane falls over after taking it off?

I had to actually watch a couple of those just to see how this all went down. Wasn't this the couple that was staying in a roach infested motel a few months back trying to buy a 50-something footer?

Total fuckin idiots .they got their Capt Ron on Uber..so before it is too late she needs to expose those pair of puppies quick smart ...otherwise she and the mongoloid hairlip one are turning left and back to that miserable trailer park where they came from and where everyone is related and think dueling banjos should be the soundtrack in all Wendy's.

it is entertaining though on so many levels - nothing to do with sailing of course but all part of the genre

"girl with puppies has an adventure that involves wearing a bikini"

Interesting Google stats Dylan...but do they really represent what the couch potatoes want??? I think not. Them idiot potatoes who do the Patreon thing are already bored with this reality shit and the last gasp will be the Vagabond mob will have C grade celebrities on board shortly to make their buy the big multi on the financial tomorrow thing work.

Your vids by the way are timeless..bit like watching real Sean Connery 007 movies.

I agree - no scale on those things - the trends mean very little and no-one in the British isles would type in sailboat.

However, good for him for making the little film. I assume it was shot inside his cocpit cover on what looks like a Wharram ashore - where many are to be founbd.

Thanks for the comment about KTL

one bloke said I am attenborough while they are Neighbours

which is a nice thing to say....

however,

the other side of the coin - The Vag has has just bought a $700,000 yacht while I have just been forced to sell my $7,000 yacht

so tits beat brains at every turn

Dylan

I might have missed it a while back, but does anyone know of a good vlog based on a cruising family with kids? (It would be even better if the wife is easy on the eyes.)

I might have missed it a while back, but does anyone know of a good vlog based on a cruising family with kids? (It would be even better if the wife is easy on the eyes.)

Ha! Blackmail!!

I'll take the genny for $250 Alex!! :P

Don't worry; I am old and will forget 10 minutes after typing this. Who are you again?

Total fuckin idiots .they got their Capt Ron on Uber..so before it is too late she needs to expose those pair of puppies quick smart ...otherwise she and the mongoloid hairlip one are turning left and back to that miserable trailer park where they came from and where everyone is related and think dueling banjos should be the soundtrack in all Wendy's.

A few of these Vlogs mentioned in this thread seem to have gone the paid captain route, while the clueless newbs prance around in bikinis and hipster beards making videos.

to save everyone time the tits in this vid start at 428.

The vids made by the Zatara people aren't too bad. He freely admits that he knows SFA about sailing but is determined to learn and so far he is going OK. I'll be darned if I can figure out why the children aren't trying to kill each other yet. Maybe those bits are left on the cutting room floor.

https://sailingzatara.com/videos/

The vids made by the Zatara people aren't too bad. He freely admits that he knows SFA about sailing but is determined to learn and so far he is going OK. I'll be darned if I can figure out why the children aren't trying to kill each other yet. Maybe those bits are left on the cutting room floor.

not only does he know nothing but his kids seem to hate the trip and his wife looks like she's going to have a nervous breakdown before they reach Tonga....all so dad can live his dream...BLECH

I still say good for them for sharing their adventures via youtube. If the films stay up then when those kids are 21 and their date says - tell me about your folks - you can say what an amazingly energetic bloke my dad was - he bought a boat and took us to Tonga" and here are the films of what happened.

You tube allows us to graze other people's lives.

Dylan

not only does he know nothing but his kids seem to hate the trip and his wife looks like she's going to have a nervous breakdown before they reach Tonga....all so dad can live his dream...BLECH

You sure do have a lot of hate in your heart.

In spite of fact that I speak French and am a bit of a Francophile and had some idea that Outremer is a French company...it never once occurred to me to pronounce it as anything but "Out Reamer".

Pronouncing outre-mer (which is often hyphenated in French, and is NOT in the logo) as "oo tra mare" while speaking about it in English just sounds...how do the Brits say it? Poncey.

Saying "outremer" with actual proper French pronunciation in the middle of a straight sentence of American accented English sounds even more ridiculous.

In spite of fact that I speak French and am a bit of a Francophile and had some idea that Outremer is a French company...it never once occurred to me to pronounce it as anything but "Out Reamer".

Pronouncing outre-mer (which is often hyphenated in French, and is NOT in the logo) as "oo tra mare" while speaking about it in English just sounds...how do the Brits say it? Poncey.

Saying "outremer" with actual proper French pronunciation in the middle of a straight sentence of American accented English sounds even more ridiculous.

Maybe you learnt Canadian French!

Out reamer . . . That's some sort of advanced sexual technique, or a carpentry tool . . . Foreign place names you're allowed to butcher, but would you really pronounce Peugeot to rhyme with Puget (as in the Sound)?

The strangest mispronounciation that passed into English was the Chilean dictator Pinochet. Known as Pee-no-chett (by himself, his family, his victims and everyone else in Chile), in Britain we insist on pretending he's French and calling him Pee-no-Shay.

Sounds even worse when it comes from a Wharram owning Kiwi. (Must be the only Wharram on earth that has internet...)

You sure do have a lot of hate in your heart.

I don't think that the children hate the trip. Not yet anyway. It will be interesting to see how they handle it raining every day. That can drive the best of them stir crazy. The wife seems blessed with a lot of patience and so far is keeping it all together.

Out reamer . . . That's some sort of advanced sexual technique, or a carpentry tool . . . Foreign place names you're allowed to butcher, but would you really pronounce Peugeot to rhyme with Puget (as in the Sound)?

The strangest mispronounciation that passed into English was the Chilean dictator Pinochet. Known as Pee-no-chett (by himself, his family, his victims and everyone else in Chile), in Britain we insist on pretending he's French and calling him Pee-no-Shay.

No, I learned Parisian French. It just never occurred to me to pronounce it like a French word. Now I will have to, and feel like a dork every time I do.

Funny story though. Last year in New Caledonia I experienced a weird phenomena. Almost every day someone from New Cal complemented me on how good my French was. It was getting weird after a while, waitresses, girls at the counter in the boulangerie, people I asked directions of, random people I talked to. Almost every single day, this is not an exaggeration. It was getting to the point where I was wondering if they thought I was mentally defective or something and were encouraging me for trying. It was that weird.

My French, while passable, is simply not that good. Yet it happened almost every time I interacted with locals. "You're French is very good."

Then I got chatting with a French fellow, in French. I knew he could speak English. When I had some trouble articulating what I wanted to say, I switched to English (I don't think he knew I spoke English).

"You're English is very good," he said to me.

"I'd hope so, I'm American. It's my native language."

"No, no. Compared to the Australians. None of us can understand the Australians."

Suddenly the miracle of my new found language skills was apparent...

They understood well enough when my grandfather said to them 'You go hide in the basement and we will defend your village for you'.

Bj, too many Americans don't make the effort to speak 3 words in a foreign to them language. They were just sincerely pleased that you were making the effort to use French.

If you had been from France, they might have mocked your Parisian accent!

And didn't make any cheese jokes.

No, I learned Parisian French. It just never occurred to me to pronounce it like a French word. Now I will have to, and feel like a dork every time I do.

Funny story though. Last year in New Caledonia I experienced a weird phenomena. Almost every day someone from New Cal complemented me on how good my French was. It was getting weird after a while, waitresses, girls at the counter in the boulangerie, people I asked directions of, random people I talked to. Almost every single day, this is not an exaggeration. It was getting to the point where I was wondering if they thought I was mentally defective or something and were encouraging me for trying. It was that weird.

My French, while passable, is simply not that good. Yet it happened almost every time I interacted with locals. "You're French is very good."

Then I got chatting with a French fellow, in French. I knew he could speak English. When I had some trouble articulating what I wanted to say, I switched to English (I don't think he knew I spoke English).

"You're English is very good," he said to me.

"I'd hope so, I'm American. It's my native language."

"No, no. Compared to the Australians. None of us can understand the Australians."

Suddenly the miracle of my new found language skills was apparent...

Hehehe, that made me smile BJ.

I spent a few years working in London, the office was a veritable British Isles mix of people.

I honestly spent the first 6 weeks saying pardon? Sorry? I couldn't understand a fucking thing.

Until we all hit the bar after work, then like a magic veil being lifted, we'd all babble incoherently, high fiving and laughing at each others jokes, we could understand each other perfectly.

Next morning......wotcha cobber yowlright?

Pardon?

Tipufthumawning!

Sorry?

Bj, too many Americans don't make the effort to speak 3 words in a foreign to them language. They were just sincerely pleased that you were making the effort to use French.

If you had been from France, they might have mocked your Parisian accent!

I don't think that was it. I've been told that I sound "more like a German", which I also have been told is not a compliment. In New Caledonia though, most people absolutely could not mark my accent in English or French to know where I was from. Most people asked, and most of them seemed surprised I was American. But they don't get many Americans there.

My wife also spoke French with many locals, though none complimented her. She has a wider vocabulary, a better grasp of verb conjugation, and writes better than me, but my accent is a bit better and I speak more smoothly.

The times I've been in Paris (I used to work for Société Générale) I've never had a problem being understood. Of course, almost every one of my French colleagues assumed I didn't speak a word of French and never tried to speak it with me in the work place. So I used it more after hours, when visiting France on my own time, or after a couple of drinks.

And didn't make any cheese jokes.

Cheese is very serious business. I miss the cheese counter at the Casino Johnston. You can get some of the cheeses here at Coles, but you have to trade in a limb. $120 a Kilo for Papillon Noir Roquefort...brutal.

one more tweak of the genre from Rick

beautifully shot, well edited, and a good voice over

overuse of the drone

still.... girls in bikinis on $200,000 foredecks .....

Came across this fellow last night. He's got a number of vids I've started digging in to.

Watchable, due to the music (YMMV) and use of a drone offshore (while singlehanded no less). Some things make me raise an eyebrow, but it sure beats the "Girl with pattern account goes sailing in hot place' genre.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kjolevannspumpe

It strikes me that good production and content does not result in views.

I am working on an interview I did with Matt Rutherford, who is famous for his solo around the america record, but that now runs a non profit focused on scientific research on the ocean. Their videos are well made and interesting, but nobody seem to watch them.

Anyway who cares about Global Warming and such?

I am working on an interview I did with Matt Rutherford, who is famous for his solo around the america record, but that now runs a non profit focused on scientific research on the ocean. Their videos are well made and interesting, but nobody seem to watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7sidB3kWA

Not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7sidB3kWA

Not me.
Well obviously you don't get out very much if you don't care.

For instance those looking to explore the NW Pacific incl Philippines and Japan??? Thanks to El Nino this area is sadly now nearly 12/12 in the Typhoon department with no safe season, only some months safer than others.

I certainly care a lot. If only I got a metre of sea level rise as promised (threatened) I'd have a deep waterfront instead of a tidal one, and I could launch my boat at the bottom of my yard.

As for what happens in the tropics, phffffft. It's too hot now to bother with so a couple degrees warmer isn't going to make any difference.

FKT

Not me.

For instance those looking to explore the NW Pacific incl Philippines and Japan??? Thanks to El Nino this area is sadly now nearly 12/12 in the Typhoon department with no safe season, only some months safer than others.

Seems like you are implying El Nino is caused by global warming.

From my understanding, no one knows for sure what causes it. They understand the conditions required, but there is no known link between El Nino and global warming.http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2016/02/02/el-nino-and-global-warming-whats-the-connection/

Not me.

Seems like you are implying El Nino is caused by global warming.

From my understanding, no one knows for sure what causes it. They understand the conditions required, but there is no known link between El Nino and global warming.http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2016/02/02/el-nino-and-global-warming-whats-the-connection/

He's linking typhoons to Global warming.

@Joli, if you have children and a bit of love for them you should care.

Not me.

I get out plenty. I think it's (AGW) just a bunch of made up bullshit to line the pockets of the snake oil salesman selling fear. Buy into it if you choose to, I don't.

For 25 years we've been visiting this hotel, https://www.lepetithotel.com/ on the water, in St Martin. Funny that the lobby isn't underwater like Hansen predicted in 1988.

He is very good in front of the camera, lots of drone shots - which look nice - no real story and no bikinis so these films are never really going to take off. The power of La Vag and SV delos is that they are a soap opera on water. People are more interested in the crews (and their clothes) than they are the advbeturing or the sailing.

I think it is brilliant that there are people making serious money from sailing films - and they encourage all sorts of other people to come out of the woodwork and start making films as well. Most try and give up on the basis that making films gets in the way of enjoying sailing and.... there is not much money to be made from a dull old bikini free blog

and here is his highest hitting film - with pixellated arses in the thumbnail

and you can't beat the thumbnail candy this guy with his Macgregor and his cutie delivers to a screen near you

Not me.

I get out plenty. I think it's (AGW) just a bunch of made up bullshit to line the pockets of the snake oil salesman selling fear. Buy into it if you choose to, I don't.

For 25 years we've been visiting this hotel, https://www.lepetithotel.com/ on the water, in St Martin. Funny that the lobby isn't underwater like Hansen predicted in 1988.

I bet that some people from the Salomon islands might disagree with you : http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36255749

Build a wall around your house and you will be alright Jack!

Not me.

I bet that some people from the Salomon islands might disagree with you : http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36255749

Build a wall around your house and you will be alright Jack!

I suspect you mean the *Solomon Islands*.

You do realise that whole area is highly active and that land rises, falls, new islands appear, old ones disappear etc etc?

Do you think that sea level rise is confined to the Solomon Islands? If so, what is the mechanism that stops the water reaching an equilibrium all over?

The oceans do slosh back & forth somewhat depending on winds etc but this isn't it.

The best data we have is from satellites and they show a very slow rise over time.

Guess what, there's been sea level rise since the end of the last Ice Age. I live on the edge of a drowned river valley.

Bring it on, I need another metre of water out the front.

FKT

Bet you don't need another metre of water if you live in say Bangladesh...you and 40 million or so of your mates will need canoes and a new country code on your cell phones.

Think climate change doesn't effect you ...go chart rainfall, world wheat prices for the last 20 years then chart wheat import/export ratios and then overlay civil wars, insurrection, terrorist activity etc. Funny how central Africa, Somalia etc gets pinged nearly every year as being totally fucked by every measure.

If it wasn't for climate change the words Black Hawk Down would be just words.

A slightly longer term chart:

http://xkcd.com/1732/

Good one Ocean a graph titled

"A webcomic of romance,sarcasm, math, and language"

Did Trumpy draw that?

No wonder the US Isolates are who and what they are....

Joli should try and name one who got on a sailboat and went anywhere before anyone else? That will be a big list.

Back to normal programming.

Good one Ocean a graph titled

"A webcomic of romance,sarcasm, math, and language"

Did Trumpy draw that?

No wonder the US Isolates are who and what they are....

Joli should try and name one who got on a sailboat and went anywhere before anyone else? That will be a big list.

Back to normal programming.

Uh, scroll to the end of the chart. It's making the same point you are making - that some gradual warming/cooling is natural, but what is happening right now is not and we are indeed, completely fucked.

Bet you don't need another metre of water if you live in say Bangladesh...you and 40 million or so of your mates will need canoes and a new country code on your cell phones.

Think climate change doesn't effect you ...go chart rainfall, world wheat prices for the last 20 years then chart wheat import/export ratios and then overlay civil wars, insurrection, terrorist activity etc. Funny how central Africa, Somalia etc gets pinged nearly every year as being totally fucked by every measure.

My first university degree was a double major in population ecology and geomorphology, mainly coastal & estuarine.

The climate has been changing for as long as the planet has existed and will keep right on changing regardless of what we do or don't do.

I live on the edge of a drowned river valley, caused by sea level rise over the last 20K years, due to global warming. I'd far, far rather a 2C to 4C temperature rise than the reverse.

Can you explain WHY you expect climate to STOP changing? And as a second order event, just what means you suggest we use to accomplish this, with estimate of likelihood of success over time?

If you can't, then I'm afraid that my 'woe is me' quota in life is already full and I'm going to go right on not giving a damn.

FKT

My first university degree was a double major in population ecology and geomorphology, mainly coastal & estuarine.

The climate has been changing for as long as the planet has existed and will keep right on changing regardless of what we do or don't do.

I live on the edge of a drowned river valley, caused by sea level rise over the last 20K years, due to global warming. I'd far, far rather a 2C to 4C temperature rise than the reverse.

Can you explain WHY you expect climate to STOP changing? And as a second order event, just what means you suggest we use to accomplish this, with estimate of likelihood of success over time?

If you can't, then I'm afraid that my 'woe is me' quota in life is already full and I'm going to go right on not giving a damn.

FKT

FKT, I'm right there with you.

FKT

Find one time when the rate of warming was similar to what we experience now and I will pay attention...

Just a polite reminder from your moderating team that we have a whole subforum full of Climate Change arguments over in PA, replete with graphs, charts, and foul language.

Just a polite reminder from your moderating team that we have a whole subforum full of Climate Change arguments over in PA, replete with graphs, charts, and foul language.

Yes, that's where I stole that fucking thing.

I stopped joining those arguments a long time ago, I hadn't seen it.

I stopped joining those arguments a long time ago, I hadn't seen it.

I try to avoid arguments over there, it's a dead end. Making mock will never die, however.

Every body has "their science".

"No, mine is right."

"No, mine is right."

" But mine is more right."

" No, mine is more right."

Phooey!

People are sailing the Northwest Passage shorthanded and in production boats. Matt Rutherford did it without a radar and singlehanded.

http://www.psychologyofsailing.com/push-your-mind-and-body-further-interview-with-matt-rutherford/

Fully crewed expedition died trying about 100 years ago. The Teleport people did it in a 29 ft wooden vessel.

Arctic ice is going away.

Humans adapt pretty well. They'll manage a little average temperature change. War, famine, antibiotics cause an ebb and flow. It's just change and trying to preserve one's waterfront in perpetuity is a fools game. If it's so catastrophic to humanity, doubtless the cycle will trend back down once there's no one to burn fossil fuels anymore.

"No, mine is right."

"No, mine is right."

Phooey!

No, Really, mine is right and I am not fucking kidding, no shit Sherlock...

"No, mine is right."

"No, mine is right."

Phooey!

May be you should read Karl Popper.

That mast hoist arrangement is the safest I have ever seen.

I hate going up masts

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/british-teenager-bethany-smith-dies-after-falling-off-yacht-mast-

in-jamaica-49412

There's a thread on that in the main sailing forum. We met her and her family in Trinidad. She was a nice young woman and became good friend with my kids. Tragic loss.

And yeah, we've been reviewing how we do mast climbs. I don't go up, since I weigh more than any two other members of my family put together. My won Will does most of the work aloft, if he's with us.

I hate going up masts

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/british-teenager-bethany-smith-dies-after-falling-off-yacht-mast-in-jamaica-49412

I do too. That's so sad. We lost a local kid just a few years ago, the same way. I used to hoist our kids up, with all the safety precautions, but it still made me nervous. Nobody goes up anymore, including me. I work on the mast head twice a year, with the mast on saw horses.

I hate going up masts

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/british-teenager-bethany-smith-dies-after-falling-off-yacht-mast-in-jamaica-49412

I do too. That's so sad. We lost a local kid just a few years ago, the same way. I used to hoist our kids up, with all the safety precautions, but it still made me nervous. Nobody goes up anymore, including me. I work on the mast head twice a year, with the mast on saw horses.

Sometimes someone has to go up.. When we were in New Caledonia last year we noticed that the VHF antenna was dangling from the masthead. I found the brackets that were holding it on on the deck. That entailed several climbs, since we were in a remote place (Iles des Pines) when we spotted it and didn't have hardware to re-mount, and it would bang and splinter on the trip back to Noumea to it had to come down. Then it went back up with new hardware, and the antenna slipped, flipped, and slid out and plunged into the water. But the third time up I tied the backup better, Will got it reattached so we had long range VHF and AIS for the trip to Australia.

There really wasn't any other way to do it. Dropping our mast is a pretty big and expensive production and we can't do it just anywhere.