dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

As opposed to a banjo, you mean?

How about a fiddle? I just saw this in the local online news. 

IMG_0146%20-.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

As opposed to a banjo, you mean?

Could be worse, you could have KMB onboard, blasting you with his Hardee chanter. Don't let him stand on the cabin top. I heard he's "sans pantalones" under that kilt.

Woke up one morning in a remote anchorage to the sounds of a 12 year old girl playing her flute, seated on the lower spreaders of her parents boat.

I will never forget it.

• Like 6

Has this one been featured yet? Cuz you could hate-watch the fuck out of this one.

If Martha Stewart was a young Dutch woman cosplaying a Russian hooker who kidnapped Lyle Lovett cosplaying a German Phish devotee and forced him to convince the Coen Brothers to make a satire of Mediterranean lifestyle/cruising vlogs ... the result would look just like this.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Has this one been featured yet? Cuz you could hate-watch the fuck out of this one.

If Martha Stewart was a young Dutch woman cosplaying a Russian hooker who kidnapped Lyle Lovett cosplaying a German Phish devotee and forced him to convince the Coen Brothers to make a satire of Mediterranean lifestyle/cruising vlogs ... the result would look just like this.

Hate watch is appropirate!

... "life at sea" is awkwardly posing in the shrouds on your tiptoes!? 

We're all doomed

4 hours ago, Liquid said:

Hate watch is appropirate!

... "life at sea" is awkwardly posing in the shrouds on your tiptoes!? 

We're all doomed

Be fair, it isn’t a duckface selfie...

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, Kris Cringle said:

Kids sail $1 sailboat on the cold coast of Maine (no boobs, no charge). 

I keep a carbon acoustic guitar and a small amp on the boat. The amp (Yamaha THR) can also be used for playing an Ipod or similar. In the evening, after a drink, i'll play a little blues, in the cockpit if we're alone, below if we're not. I don't want to disturb neighbors. 

Maybe we'll see them around Maine this summer and we can have a little duet across the water. 

We're having our first jam since February tonight. Just a few people, in a room large enough to maintain distance, with a big pump bottle of sanitizer. 

"Hate Watch" now thats a great new term.  This one has a Honey in a thong, Mediterranean looking guy, and a baby.  The trifecta of content requirements these days.  Its a hard one to watch.

https://youtu.be/qRaWmy6xLoQ

If your into watching the clueless going out to sea my wife and I have been watching these two when we're bored.....it's like going to an old stock car race to watch the pile-up in turn two.  Here they arrive in Cuba on their way to the Bahamas as they sail their Shitshow 38.  Pure Florida action with these two.....other episodes include having their rutter fall off, the discovery of needing stainless steel, and the list goes on.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dogscout said:

"Hate Watch" now thats a great new term.  This one has a Honey in a thong, Mediterranean looking guy, and a baby.  The trifecta of content requirements these days.  Its a hard one to watch.

That term is on a par with the girl I knew in college (pre-Mrs. Loser) whose specialty was the "grudge fuck". 

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

@Cruisin Loser I'll bet you're not as purty.

Mrs. Loser takes care of the purty on our boat. 63 in this pic, 45 years together. Damn straight I look smug.

2021239918_RobandBeth2.png.e95a2e8f73c4f61b64d04a3c1b8b07dc.png

• Like 5

is that Newport, RI in the background?

15 minutes ago, lofty said:

is that Newport, RI in the background?

Walkway to Ida Lewis YC perhaps?

NYYC Harbour Court on the right behind. We were there for the IYRS/Panerai Classic races. Had @Innocent Bystander aboard for the races. What a sailor. Great fun.

We occasionally drift south to MA/RI. I'm a member at a couple of YC's that have food and beverage minimums, in my mind that makes the eating and drinking free and justifies the trip down from Maine.

We may be double handing at the Castine Classics, but a couple of Cruising anarchists have committed for Eggemoggin Reach and the feeder races.

13 hours ago, Dogscout said:

Sailing nomad citizen... WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!

Is this a major Woosh moment for me, or...

Nomad - a person who does not stay long in the same place

Citizen - an inhabitant of a particular town or city

On 5/27/2020 at 2:59 AM, Diarmuid said:

That's some John-Oliver-level snark there - Well done!

(he once described a celebration of Russia’s annexation of Crimea as “look[ing] like Leni Riefenstahl hired a color-blind pyromaniac to choreograph a Spinal Tap-themed Cirque du Soleil performance.” )

• Like 4

On 5/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, Dogscout said:

How do you have this conversation with your wife / girlfriend?

"Here - bend over... yeah like that.  Put your ass cheeks around this throttle lever.  Then wiggle and laugh."

And then...... you put it on the internet?  Different times I guess.

8 hours ago, fragglerock said:

A whole new concept in sailing videos...

Live streaming of them sailing (well motoring) somewhere near France... You can get your money begging LIVE!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/635205505?t=01h33m03s

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

How do you have this conversation with your wife / girlfriend?

"Here - bend over... yeah like that.  Put your ass cheeks around this throttle lever.  Then wiggle and laugh."

And then...... you put it on the internet?  Different times I guess.

Thots on Yachts. If it didn't sell, they wouldn't do it. Vlogging is an economy (or more properly, ecology) where survival means convincing mostly men, mostly lonely to impulsively mash the LIKE/SUB button, and there are three surefire ways to get that: tits, ass, explosions.

Much more interesting is the Fragrant Wynns approach ... which also has the advantage of appealing to, ya know, the other 52% of the world's population. Yes, they are both youngish and fittish and pleasantish to look upon. But they are spinning out stories, lifestyle arcs, and relationship fantasies. Delos and La Vag have plenty of that too -- extra babbie points!! -- but the Wynns are brilliant at maximizing vicarious longing and showing just enough supple flesh to keep grandpa watching. Someone once said of a stage star: "All the men wanted to have her; all the women wanted to be her." Worth holding that formula in mind as we sort thru these offerings.

Romantic-Nikki-and-Jason-300x266.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fragglerock said:

A whole new concept in sailing videos...

Live streaming of them sailing (well motoring) somewhere near France... You can get your money begging LIVE!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/635205505?t=01h33m03s

AAAARRRGGHH !  I had to switch off.  That guy is sooooo annoying.  He tells us how wonderful the weather is and then starts playing with his phone.

On 5/26/2020 at 12:27 PM, Kris Cringle said:

She is an amazing kid! They all are.

They have been sailing the boat all over, in and out of the harbor, on and off docks and moorings. There are so few boats in the water the whole coast is empty. 

What’s the boat? Looks to me like a cape dory 27 or 25. ...

13 hours ago, nebe said:

What’s the boat? Looks to me like a cape dory 27 or 25. ...

60's something Philip Rhodes designed O'Day Outlaw. 26'. 

How about some good sailing and resourceful people in an amazing cold place. Yacht Teleport, I think brought up quite a few pages back. Junk rigged, no crazy bikinis, Northwest Passage. Very cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

How about some good sailing and resourceful people in an amazing cold place. Yacht Teleport, I think brought up quite a few pages back. Junk rigged, no crazy bikinis, Northwest Passage. Very cool.

at the risk of going over the same territory.... and of getting some hate posting. 

I enjoyed their film making ....and their adventuring....not that keen on shooting bears.... seems a shame to go somewhere and kill things

Dylan

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

at the risk of going over the same territory.... and of getting some hate posting. 

I enjoyed their film making ....and their adventuring....not that keen on shooting bears.... seems a shame to go somewhere and kill things

Dylan

Wouldn't be something I'd do either, but as they say "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". My younger brother, who works aircraft maintenance in Nunavut, says it's quite common.  

I wonder how many years until the northwest passage can be completed in one season by a sailboat.

I hear what you say about Romans

however..... they crucified a lot of people and fed more than a few to the lions

sometimes doing as the Romans did is not doing the right thing

I understand that the sailors in question ate some of the bear - which makes the whole thing okay....according to some

not to me though I am afraid

controversial though such a sentiment might be

I don't even fish - although my wife and my oldest friend love fishing and get a lot of enjoyment when they turn my cockpit into a fish slaughterhouse.

If they wish to cook the beautiful shiny things on board then I move the Origo out into the cockpit so that I do not have to live with the disgusting smell of cooked fish.

here is a picture of a mackerel - bloody beautiful.... too beautful to eat

120220-image-fish_mackerell_with_caption

far prettier and more remarkable than a lamb, pig or cow

A layer of thin, reflecting platelets  transmit additional information to other fish about how a given fish moves. As the orientation of the fish changes relative to another fish, the amount of light reflected to the second fish by this layer also changes. This sensitivity to orientation gives the mackerel "considerable advantages in being able to react quickly while schooling and feeding."[121]

they can swim at up to 20 kph / 12mph

this is a grilled mackerel

]grilled-mackerel-1.jpg

grilled-mackerel-3.jpg

not as bad as killing a bear for fun - but still a pretty disgusting process

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Dylan

I think you have these guys confused with another couple that were cruising the Arctic around the same period (their youtube channel name escapes me). Any bears shot by the Aussie couple above was done purely with cameras.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

I think you have these guys confused with another couple that were cruising the Arctic around the same period (their youtube channel name escapes me). Any bears shot by the Aussie couple above was done purely with cameras.

aha

apologies if I got em wrong

D

18 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

aha

apologies if I got em wrong

D

I'm rewatching and haven't seen bear yet, but plenty of fish, a seal, and a gorgeous duck. 

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Dylan

Wrong couple. IIRC they bought a shotgun purely for defence against bears, test fired it and that was it.

I know some locals who knew her as a kid, said that her only real flaw was she was a way better sailor than they were.

Funnily enough while I disagree about hunting & shooting in general (had to shoot a dying wallaby outside my back door recently before the crows pecked out its eyes and started eating it alive) I am also just barely tolerant of fishing off of my boat. But that's partly because as am ex-fisheries biologist I reckon I've killed way more than my lifetime quota already and don't want to kill anything these days.

Cormorants, OTOH, especially New Zealand cormorants, are a different matter. I'd *like* to shoot the lot of them - but won't.

FKT

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

swimming with pigs

where will it all end?

With dermatophytosis, guessing from the thumbnail.

6 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

With dermatophytosis, guessing from the thumbnail.

Her skin is turning into a plant?

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Her skin is turning into a plant?

Fungus. Ringworm. You can get it from nuzzling piglets.

Still hard to believe the Bahamas' feral pig situation has not been long ago sorted out by its resident human and shark populations. Staniel Cay is 343 acres, or 10x the size of our yard. Are they truly wild, or just free range livestock?

8 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Fungus. Ringworm. You can get it from nuzzling piglets.

Still hard to believe the Bahamas' feral pig situation has not been long ago sorted out by its resident human and shark populations. Staniel Cay is 343 acres, or 10x the size of our yard. Are they truly wild, or just free range livestock?

happy go lucky livestock! i thought i read that locals (?) may have even "seeded" other Cays with pigs to accommodate the swim-with-pigs thing.

les belges to Norway

I am enjoying these - they are in french

here he is in scotland - a place 500 miles north of here

and norway

My favorite YouTube Sailor with some awesome COVID cruising content and good sailing.  

13 hours ago, chester said:

happy go lucky livestock! i thought i read that locals (?) may have even "seeded" other Cays with pigs to accommodate the swim-with-pigs thing.

I'd be doing the BBQ with pigs - especially nice tender suckling pigs - thing.

FKT

21 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'd be doing the BBQ with pigs - especially nice tender suckling pigs - thing.

FKT

How good must a pig taste when you have fed it even better than normal, carried it around, bathed and clothed it, and given it a roof over it's head, free from the stresses of a paddock.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:39 AM, dylan winter said:

swimming with pigs

where will it all end?

I spent a few months working on pig farms - they are charming and intelligent creatures - but their shit smells as bad as human poo -

they also have the problem of how they are going to dispose of it once they run out of creative photo-ops - and it might live for a decade.

the world is  occasionally bonkers.

Drenched is one of the weirdest video series on the web

keeping the boat drug free must be a real problem for the two who are in charge of this registered charity

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

keeping the boat drug free must be a real problem for the two who are in charge of this registered charity

Who says they try? 

6 minutes ago, astro said:

Who says they try? 

I don't think they could risk it

the local sailing destination coppers/harbour patrols  seem to love checking boats over that are crewed by young men with beards

one of the other vloggers was saying that they have been searched by the authorities several times

I, on the other hand, am a 64 year old white haired Brit sailing in local waters and am not worth bothering about

D

5 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

the local sailing destination coppers/harbour patrols  seem to love checking boats over that are crewed by young men with beards

or young women with very little on.

If they wanted drugs they would have them.  Personal use is easy to hide, a few hundred kilos is not.

23 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I spent a few months working on pig farms - they are charming and intelligent creatures - but their shit smells as bad as human poo -

they also have the problem of how they are going to dispose of it once they run out of creative photo-ops - and it might live for a decade.

Yeah they are pretty boss animals. 

I highly doubt that boat is drug free, I met one of their crew at what the locals here call a "Bush Doof" which is basically just a generator powered rave out in the bush a couple hours from the city where mostly hippies congregate to listen to music and take drugs for whole weekends, and she was cooked as fuck listening to Psychedelic Trance music. Really nice girl though. I highly doubt anyone would be against a good acid trip or bong sesh on that crew.

18 hours ago, dylan winter said:

one of the other vloggers was saying that they have been searched by the authorities several times

I, on the other hand, am a 64 year old white haired Brit sailing in local waters and am not worth bothering about

D

I've hardly heard of people being searched before... It must happen, but even rare-er with dogs. I mean I remember reading here in WA we have only a handful of dogs and they are pretty much only at the Airport and are seldom used for drug busts or random music festivals etc.

•  
On 6/3/2020 at 6:42 AM, dylan winter said:

Yeah they are pretty boss animals. 

I highly doubt that boat is drug free, I met one of their crew at what the locals here call a "Bush Doof" which is basically just a generator powered rave out in the bush a couple hours from the city where mostly hippies congregate to listen to music and take drugs for whole weekends, and she was cooked as fuck listening to Psychedelic Trance music. Really nice girl though. I highly doubt anyone would be against a good acid trip or bong sesh on that crew.

19 hours ago, dylan winter said:

D

I've hardly heard of people being searched before... It must happen, but even rare-er with dogs. I mean I remember reading here in WA we have only a handful of dogs and they are pretty much only at the Airport and are seldom used for drug busts or random music festivals etc.

I typed sailing  boat boarded into the youtube search box

it seems quite common

too common to risk having any on board  a high profile charity venture such as drenched

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sailing+boat+boarded

From personal experience, I can say that when I had long hair and travelled a lot, I was searched very frequently. 

Speaking of dogs, one time, short of a actual search, that comes to mind was when they had everyone coming off an international flight sit on their gear in a big room while dogs were lead around to sniff all the bags.  The dogs weren't interested in my stuff at all, but the handlers kept dragging them back over to me.  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 6:08 PM, Vaeredil said:

My favorite YouTube Sailor with some awesome COVID cruising content and good sailing.  

I got a chance to meet Dave and Jaja Martin, her parents, at a nearby local library presentation, I think around '95. There was a 3-or-so y.o. toddling around, may very well have been her; same age as my 1st daughter. Excellent illustrated storytellers, gave family sailing and exploration a great name in my book.

...and she follows right in the footsteps of the family business. Great story.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toddster said:

From personal experience, I can say that when I had long hair and travelled a lot, I was searched very frequently. 

Speaking of dogs, one time, short of a actual search, that comes to mind was when they had everyone coming off an international flight sit on their gear in a big room while dogs were lead around to sniff all the bags.  The dogs weren't interested in my stuff at all, but the handlers kept dragging them back over to me.  

As opposed to the Sydney airport food nazis; we'd have *factory unopened* double-sealed packages of dried foods (like turkey jerky); stuff we couldn't find in AUS from prior experience for snackage while offshore for a few days, and wouldn't you know the dogs made a beeline for my wife's carryon and pointed away.

The dogs could have cared less about drugs, but they sure knew an afternoon snack when they smelled one. ;-)

17 hours ago, rattus32 said:

As opposed to the Sydney airport food nazis; we'd have *factory unopened* double-sealed packages of dried foods (like turkey jerky); stuff we couldn't find in AUS from prior experience for snackage while offshore for a few days, and wouldn't you know the dogs made a beeline for my wife's carryon and pointed away.

The dogs could have cared less about drugs, but they sure knew an afternoon snack when they smelled one. ;-)

Australian here.

We have food quarantine rules for good reason.

If you deliberately tried to break them because of your self-entitlement, I hope they confiscated your smuggled foodstuffs and threw the book at you.

You don't get to decide what food rules you choose to follow in someone else's country. You can call them food nazis if you want, you can also stay home.

FKT

• Like 5

Those same dogs once found a dead apple core in a corner of my backpack.

Serious embarrassment, I felt like my mother had found it cleaning out be school bag...

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 1:04 PM, dylan winter said:

Dylan

Oh you already know you are a life lesson of jumping to assumptions only make an ass out of u.

Just looking to find an excuse to repost anything from Yacht Teleport.  A couple just a few years before their time.

La Vag or even Delos would have dragged that out for atleast 6 vids over a month.  Force 12 10m seas, oh well just a mention, and the Greenland mechanic helping to fix our engine with JB Weld, just another day.

And fox pelts, shotgun, and mammal eating transient Killer Whales, along with dinghy eating Polar Bears!  Oh my!

I would like to apologise for the other times I have jumped to conclusions although I would welcome any other examples of me jumping to help you drive your  your hypothesis home

I am very good at apologising

Dylan

On 6/5/2020 at 5:52 AM, rattus32 said:

I think you'll find that dogs are trained for very specific purposes. A dog is trained to find only tobacco, drugs, food, or cash, not any/all of the list. So a cash-finding dog would have no interest in finding foodstuffs etc.

" Drive your hypothesis home " ?  Sounds like something they do in Greece after a big night on the ouzo.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, dylan winter said:

les belges to Norway

I am enjoying these - they are in french

here he is in scotland - a place 500 miles north of here

and norway

Posted long ago in the tit free videos thread ;-)

I like these videos also...

On 6/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Australian here.

We have food quarantine rules for good reason.

If you deliberately tried to break them because of your self-entitlement, I hope they confiscated your smuggled foodstuffs and threw the book at you.

You don't get to decide what food rules you choose to follow in someone else's country. You can call them food nazis if you want, you can also stay home.

FKT

Talk about entitled...  We were well aware of the quarantine rules. No objection to the hyper-dark chocolate my kids brought, as frankly, yours sucks. These were declared, double commercially factory sealed, dessicated, and sadly, preserved and thermally processed.

And after having travelled six times to your country, five with the family, emptied our wallets, and experienced the bright shining cultural void and intolerance of your countrymen, yeah, we've seen enough.

Imagine if I tried to smuggle a declared and sealed jar of Vegemite into the US. An Ag inspector would ask, "are you really bringing this shit back home?" "Yeah, as a practical joke on our friends." "Have at it."

And before you inevitably go there, I've also had it with our National Embarrassment, the so-called president.

Shame your handle says it all. A fine representative indeed.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, rattus32 said:

Talk about entitled...  We were well aware of the quarantine rules. No objection to the hyper-dark chocolate my kids brought, as frankly, yours sucks. These were declared, double commercially factory sealed, dessicated, and sadly, preserved and thermally processed.

And after having travelled six times to your country, five with the family, emptied our wallets, and experienced the bright shining cultural void and intolerance of your countrymen, yeah, we've seen enough.

Imagine if I tried to smuggle a declared and sealed jar of Vegemite into the US. An Ag inspector would ask, "are you really bringing this shit back home?" "Yeah, as a practical joke on our friends." "Have at it."

And before you inevitably go there, I've also had it with our National Embarrassment, the so-called president.

Shame your handle says it all. A fine representative indeed.

No need to smuggle vegemite, you can buy it in the US...

For some reason, Marmite is a lot easier to find here.

7 hours ago, rattus32 said:

There's more to Oz than Queensland you know.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Secret Experiment said:

On one of my first trips to Oz, I learned that lesson the hard way. 

4 hours ago, IStream said:

For some reason, Marmite is a lot easier to find here.

There used to be a lot of it here. Not so much any more, since the horse parades stopped.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 1:08 PM, Vaeredil said:

Wouldn't be something I'd do either, but as they say "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". My younger brother, who works aircraft maintenance in Nunavut, says it's quite common.  

I wonder how many years until the northwest passage can be completed in one season by a sailboat.

Didn't Matt Rutherford already do this ?

https://reddotontheocean.com/

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/matt-rutherford-mission-accomplished

7 minutes ago, Roam said:

What the hell, he sure did. Also, from that article:

In 2004 his immediate goal was a boat, a 25-foot Coronado he bought for $2,000 in Maryland. He taught himself to sail it as he traveled south

I wonder if we're blood brothers, my first boat $2000 coronado 25 and crazy dreams match up

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 5:36 AM, rattus32 said:

Talk about entitled...  We were well aware of the quarantine rules.

So you were aware of the quarantine rules and brought in a banned foodstuff regardless.

Thanks for admitting that. It says far better than anything I could post just who is the entitled one here.

I'd say that you got off very lightly. At least 2 other people have made the news for trying to smuggle in foodstuffs on the banned list. They got immediately deported - next plane out - and given a 5 year ban on re-entry to Australia.

If you voluntarily choose to not come back, no worries. We won't miss you at all.

FKT

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Pretty funny for a US citizen to talk about cultural voids and intolerance.

Which country built Los Vegas, addressing point one?

And as for the intolerance bit, the old phrase about motes in the eye comes to mind.

Dickhead thought he knew better what we needed WRT quarantine rules on imported foodstuffs. Our well trained sniffer dogs detected his lying and attempt to smuggle stuff. Now he's whining about Australian food nazis on the internet. My heart bleeds for him. It's not only unfair that he got treated like that, it's SO unfair. Didn't we realise the rules didn't apply to *HIM*?

Poor baby.

FKT

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

What the hell, he sure did. Also, from that article:

In 2004 his immediate goal was a boat, a 25-foot Coronado he bought for $2,000 in Maryland. He taught himself to sail it as he traveled south

I wonder if we're blood brothers, my first boat $2000 coronado 25 and crazy dreams match up

Me too! My first boat was a Coronado 25 on the Chesapeake for 2300.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Me too! My first boat was a Coronado 25 on the Chesapeake for 2300.

Well, yes...but that's almost $17,000 CAD.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 9:02 PM, Secret Experiment said:

You bet. First 3 times coupled it with work in Melbourne (even saw the Grand Prix in Albert Park in '97!), then brought the family over afterward. Been all over the East coast from Melbourne to the Daintree, by car, Adelaide, wine regions, and from Perth to Shark Bay on land. And sure, sailed the Whitsundays numerous times, but spent time offshore diving in the GBR Maritime Park as well. Exploration by land and sailing are our passion.

I'm sure we haven't scratched the surface, but we've experienced as much as a pausing traveler can in the 6 months total we've been there. And actually engaged with quite a few folks far more pleasant than FKT.

Quoting the ABF site:

Canned meat products

Personal import of commercially manufactured and retorted meat products is permitted. The products must be in cans, jars or retort pouches and must be shelf stable (not require refrigeration or freezing to maintain quality).

We check this kind of border information everywhere we travel. Our long-life "products" were in commercially sealed, and as I mentioned, chemically (I hate that, but...) and thermally stabilized in metallized mylar bags (called retort bags in labs) from some trail food outfit. Allowed. Dogs took 'em anyway, maybe because I opened one and we shared it while in the air, and "scented" the target in our carryon bag.

Asshole. 

And I'll also continue enjoying vlogs I enjoy of people actually getting out there and exploring far further than us, but in the manner to which we're accustomed, like (pre-baby) Delos, Dylan, Free Range Sailing, Wind Hippie, RAN, etc. while you gnash your gums and shake your fist at the clouds.

I fear we may be judging our sailing brothers too harshly. 

On 6/10/2020 at 5:23 AM, Elegua said:

I fear we may be judging our sailing brothers too harshly. 

Oh no, don't get anyone here wrong, I am sure they judge these people far worse.

I saw a drive-through of that shed once, there is hundreds of "run-a-bouts" with 4 or more 350hp motors on the back stacked like 4 boats high.

2 hours ago, olaf hart said:

How not to do it...

https://youtu.be/6W0Jo_TW2A0

That boat has one of the most feeble looking dinghy davit setups that I ever recall seeing.

FKT

On 6/16/2020 at 1:02 PM, olaf hart said:

How not to do it...

https://youtu.be/6W0Jo_TW2A0

22 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That boat has one of the most feeble looking dinghy davit setups that I ever recall seeing.

FKT

Would absolutely not trust the boat repairs they have done either.

31 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Would absolutely not trust the boat repairs they have done either.

Have they done boat repairs? Got a link? Could be entertaining...

I have to wonder what design load those davits were designed to meet. Actually I don't really wonder at all, be interesting to know what the failure load is though. I'd bet it's a hell of a lot less than the dinghy full of water from a following wave, should they be so unlucky/careless.

FKT

15 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Have they done boat repairs? Got a link? Could be entertaining...

I have to wonder what design load those davits were designed to meet. Actually I don't really wonder at all, be interesting to know what the failure load is though. I'd bet it's a hell of a lot less than the dinghy full of water from a following wave, should they be so unlucky/careless.

FKT

The ply in all the repaired areas is only butt-joined, no backing pieces, and a single layer of glass externally. You can literally see the gaps between the sheets on the inside, so they are hardly even butt-joined. It's not a sea-worthy boat. 

I think they are careless, and have been lucky so far. I'd say this is just another one of those "it's only a matter of time".

They kind of remind me of a young, bogan Australian HOT ROD, who instead of starting with nothing, started with a rotten timber boat, has a hot Mrs and probably some DMT...

The repairs to the ply apparently involved a shipwright.

Surprised they didn’t splice the edges of the ply repairs.

The boat has POS Wharram hulls and some weird sort of home designed cross beams, the real Wharrams had wood guiders lashed to both sides of the hulls, this one has bits of old alu masts and pivoting fittings bolted to the inside surface of the hulls.

And there was a short video shot at the top of the mast, three strands broken at the top of the forestay they haven’t repaired yet....

A couple of mad Ozzies, what can you say. As the owner of a plywood boat I can commiserate.

That said butt joining ply on frames and stringers with glass each side is common practice in the epoxy era. As strong as the original if done right. Scarfing the ply is more important on the topsides (hull) where a fair finish is desirable. I didn't see any butt joins with no backing.

Thing is about these videos is I can appreciate a can do, lets do this story that is mostly honest but detest the look at us cool people sailing on your dime types.

I have met people all over the world sailing pieces of shit places while people like us condemn their efforts on our phones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

A couple of mad Ozzies, what can you say. As the owner of a plywood boat I can commiserate.

That said butt joining ply on frames and stringers with glass each side is common practice in the epoxy era. As strong as the original if done right. Scarfing the ply is more important on the topsides (hull) where a fair finish is desirable. I didn't see any butt joins with no backing.

Thing is about these videos is I can appreciate a can do, lets do this story that is mostly honest but detest the look at us cool people sailing on your dime types.

I have met people all over the world sailing pieces of shit places while people like us condemn their efforts on our phones.

That's a single layer of ply. No backing, being painted.

I've built a ply boat, I know what I would and wouldn't do, I wouldn't do this.

buttjoin.jpg

8 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

That's a single layer of ply. No backing, being painted.

I've built a ply boat, I know what I would and wouldn't do, I wouldn't do this.

buttjoin.jpg

Not ideal (and I wouldn't do it) but the plywood spans from stringer to stringer so they might be lucky! It weakens the stringers at the junctions though as it would normally work in a composite fashion with the hull plate but Wharram's aren't exactly high stress designs.