Sign in to follow this  
lydia

Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania

3 minutes ago, lydia said:

So Olaf, who you going to chose?

Salmon farms or clear fell logging.

Your call!

They can both fuck off as far as I am concerned.

wood chips are a waste of good hardwood

farmed salmon tastes crap after you have eaten a proper wild salmon, and the farms have really messed up the upper channel ecosystem, did you know it takes over three weeks for the channel from Gordon to Dennes Point to flush?

I am not a fan of fish farms in enclosed waters ...

• Like 3

In all seriousness, this is a fight about the future of Tasmania now.

Old timber against value adding aquaculture.

Groups against salmon farming having to confront clear fell logging.

There will be interesting bed fellows.

For my own part, I have already had the death threat and the threat to burn down my house from the loggers.

I don't even work in the salmon industry I just live in Dover and expect proper planning procedures to be followed.

So as they say in The West Wing "I will wait in the tall grass for you senator".

Whilst I'm far far far from being a tree hugging greenie, but I will say fuck the loggers, unless value is going to be added in Aus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lydia said:

Old timber against value adding aquaculture.

Groups against salmon farming having to confront clear fell logging.

There will be interesting bed fellows.

For my own part, I have already had the death threat and the threat to burn down my house from the loggers.

I don't even work in the salmon industry I just live in Dover and expect proper planning procedures to be followed.

So as they say in The West Wing "I will wait in the tall grass for you senator".

Should have bought a brick house, they need that timber anyway they can get it. 

Very ironic that in Bob Brown's Tasmania the fish farmers who got so much opposition now oppose a centuries old industry on the basis of the environment and expect the government to step back from its own planning. 

On 5/25/2018 at 7:31 AM, lydia said:

Old timber against  aquaculture ventures using our. waterways as a cheap effluent disposal system. 

".

There. Fixed it for you.

• Downvote 1

On 5/25/2018 at 7:21 AM, lydia said:

So Olaf, who you going to chose?

Salmon farms or clear fell logging.

Your call!

Fuck me Labia if you think that is the choice then you have just unequivocally confirmed you are a dumb cunt.

• Downvote 1

On 5/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, hoppy said:

Whilst I'm far far far from being a tree hugging greenie, but I will say fuck the loggers, unless value is going to be added in Aus.

The logging/forrestry wars/debates have been going on for nearly 40 years, we could have had any amount of suitable hardwoods planted and ready for harvest now, without having to clear fell anything.

All it takes is strategic planning and long term finance, totally alien concepts in Anglo/American/Australian economic culture.

Over exploiting fish farms, (Macquarie Harbour!!) for the quick massive (tax free?)  profit of a few while joe public has to put up with increasing amounts of shit in his backyard on the promise of a little bit of trickle down is indicative of the core of Anglo/American/Australian economic culture.

Ditto mining (King River!!) in world class wilderness areas. 

These short term cultures need to change soon for our long term survival.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:22 AM, Sidecar said:

The logging/forrestry wars/debates have been going on for nearly 40 years, we could have had any amount of suitable hardwoods planted and ready for harvest now, without having to clear fell anything.

All it takes is strategic planning and long term finance, totally alien concepts in Anglo/American/Australian economic culture.

Over exploiting fish farms, (Macquarie Harbour!!) for the quick massive (tax free?)  profit of a few while joe public has to put up with increasing amounts of shit in his backyard on the promise of a little bit of trickle down is indicative of the core of Anglo/American/Australian economic culture.

Ditto mining (King River!!) in world class wilderness areas. 

These short term cultures need to change soon for our long term survival.

Does any democracy have long term planning? Election cycles tend to screw up any hope of it.

year 1 - reward supports

year 2 - try to do the right thing

year 3 - buy votes

repeat....

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 12:04 PM, Weyalan said:

fish farms proposed in Storm Bay pose a serious hazard to S2H competitors, or it isn't.

they are an environmental hazard , end of .

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Does any democracy have long term planning? Election cycles tend to screw up any hope of it.

year 1 - reward supports

year 2 - try to do the right thing

year 3 - buy votes

repeat....

Step 1 - Build & maintain an underclass & pay them to vote for you aka welfare. 

21 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Step 1 - Build & maintain an underclass & pay them to vote for you aka welfare. 

Labour party policy.... ;)

• Like 1

This may not be the most recent place to place this (there is an older thread on the Hobart Scene), but terrible news to hear about the disappearance of Elson Kiddle https://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/west-moonah-man-still-missing/news-story/ff001d70dc88018e917b8d9dac13a609.

Most sailors would know Elson as a long term crew member of Intrigue and also a friendly face at the Doyle loft.......