• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bob Perry

The Four Carbon Cutters project

My buddy Boomer Dep went with me to the yard yesterday and took this video. It should bring you up to date. Hull No. 2 is no finished and ready for internal structure.

Great video chronicle ...

Bob in the center of the main bulkhead arch or just in front of it is a big circular standing piece. Will that be a mast support ?

James:

That is a "box" around the mast used to hide the plumbing needed for the "dump chest" that is right below the mast step. We have a sea chest for all salt water intakes and a dump chest for all discharges, no through hulls below the DWL.

My buddy Boomer Dep went with me to the yard yesterday and took this video. It should bring you up to date. Hull No. 2 is no finished and ready for internal structure.

space really allows a clean workplace doesn't it?

Love that shop

Floater:

Yep, that was Jim Betts. He was in Truckee for a while.

I guess he must be a skier.

It was somewhat surreal to see sailboat hulls amidst the snow in a high altitude alpine meadow.

Floater:

I seem to recall a T-shirt that said

"Where the Hell is Truckee?"

Floater:

I seem to recall a T-shirt that said

"Where the Hell is Truckee?"

An old tanker

Floater:

Jim's son Kellen was very involved with ski racing at that time.

I might have crossed tacks with his son then - except I was on skinny skis.

which reminds me of a saying: living in San Francisco and not sailing is like living in Truckee and not skiing.

Hull no. 2 now ready to come off the plug.

dep%204_zpshqsigg2w.jpg

Hull no. 1 getting ready to be lifted onto its new dolly and moved to the other building for the woodworkers to go to it on the interior joinery finishing.

dep%202_zpsasa9qhnh.jpg

Some jewelry for the Dyneema bobstay along with some lighting samples.

dep%201_zpshrsiuj2u.jpg

Hull no. 1 looks amazing! Nice work and thanks for sharing.

How do you like the Hella cabin light? Is that a surface mount model? I need to replace a few light fixtures and those looked nice in the brochure (although quite pricey).

Georg:

I am not involved with the lighting fixtures. Those lights you see are just samples for now. I will ask Neil at the yard what he thinks of them.

Thanks for the kind words. I think hull no. 2 looks even better than no. 1. By the time we get to hull no. 4 we should have this process down!

dep%205_zpsltovq3rd.jpg

Bowsprit for no. 2 coming together.

dep%2011_zpslppesot2.jpg

Sled:

The plan is, call it Plan A, to have no changes. We are building and buying four of everything now. But we are holding off on buying four of some of the electrical and mechanical components until we see how No. 1 works. It would be nice if there was time for some design evolution but that would slow things down, require more tooling and raise the cost. I have to think there will be some degree of fine tuning after we sail No. 1. It's inevitable and from my perspective desirable. Bootstripes will be different colors on the four boats. Don't know about names yet. I hear they have been chosen. I'm holding out for: John, Paul, George and Ringo.

No%201%20moves_zpsqvg5zki1.jpg

I'm holding out for: John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Guy names? <gasp>

Maybe Belinda, Jane, Margot and Elissa...

Don't you mean Belinda, Jane, Charlotte and Gina? They got the beat!

Love the project pics and notes, thanks BP

Hull No. 2 is off the plug and ready for internal structure. Hull No. 1 is moved to the other shed and having the woodwork put in the interior along with other finishing details. Like putting the deck on.

BP%2022_zpst1goubva.jpg

BP%20interior%201_zps5dev2zme.jpg

BP%20hull%20no.2_zpsqezvgvcj.jpg

Everytime there's a pic posted of the upturned hull (particularly this angle) I see the shape of an Orca ripping through the water.

Jon:

I have no idea. They were on before the boat was moved and I assumed they were there to position the pads for the cradle. But clearly they are not. Maybe they were general indicators. I'll ask Jim.

Nope, it's not the bootstripe. I think those yellow tape lines are for referencing the boat to make sure it's level. I'll ask. Bootstripe on each boat will be a different color.

Nope, it's not the bootstripe. I think those yellow tape lines are for referencing the boat to make sure it's level. I'll ask. Bootstripe on each boat will be a different color.

Mr. Orange

Mr. Pink

Mr. Blue

Mr. Brown

What about

Mr. Blonde

Mr. White

haven't been following closely, sorry,

any word on the sails?

Is RKoch doing them?

They didn't ask. I'm in Fla anyway. Would have been happy to help, but I'm sure North can handle it, and the owner def isn't limited by budget.

I had no idea that Koch was a sailmaker. I wuold have invited him to the party had I known. But in the end the client wanted someone local. It was out of my hands.

Sailmaker, boatbuilder, mechanic...I know a bit about yacht design too, but as with everything I know enough to realize the things I don't know.

I had no idea that Koch was a sailmaker. I wuold have invited him to the party had I known. But in the end the client wanted someone local. It was out of my hands.

Sailmaker, boatbuilder, mechanic...I know a bit about yacht design too, but as with everything I know enough to realize the things I don't know.

We can replace stripped studs, full brake assemblies, drums, and loose wheels on vans if you break-down on the way to the regatta...then build a set of sails or rig the boat for you.

We can replace stripped studs, full brake assemblies, drums, and loose wheels on vans if you break-down on the way to the regatta...then build a set of sails or rig the boat for you.

LOL! Like NASCAR guys.

For those wondering, going to a regatta in RI with Jeff Linton the right rear wheel came off (pep boys didn't tighten it after putting on new tires in Tampa). Impressive rooster tail of sparks that went over the trailer. Ground a couple inches off the brake backing plate. Also impressive driving by Jeff to keep from wrecking....all over 2 lanes but didn't hit another vehicle or the walls. We had hopes of retrieving the brake drum and doing a jury fix, but by the time we found it, but before grabbing it, a semi ran over it and broke it into pieces. Got flat-bedded 10 miles up the road to a truck stop...HHN92 and Co in another Van retrieved the trailer. Next morning went to parts store for all new brake parts (both sides), and trip to junkyard for a backing plate. Very surly and hungover owner with nasty dog and big gun. Had to pull right axle to replace backing plate and the destroyed studs, right there in parking lot. Pounded old ones out with a hammer, pulled new ones in with a socket, large washer, and Lugnut. Replaced all the brake parts, bled brakes, back on road in 90 minutes. Pretty much only me and HHN92, but the others were helpful by staying out of the way and handing us beers. Basic hand tools, no manual. Never worked on a Ford rear end, but it was same as Chryslers I was familiar with. We always seemed to have trailer adventures, no matter how well we planned ahead.

For those who would like an update on the project there are some fabulous photos of the project taken yesterday by my buddy, Boomer posted over on Cruising Anarchy. The thread is called "My newest project". I have newer projects now but I have not changed the name of the thread.

Hull two is having the structure installed. Hull one is almost ready for the deck to go on. Things are moving along nicely.

These are a coupe of my snaps. Boomer's are much much better.

sinko_zps6bjx19jy.jpg

043_zpsdkrc6tvp.jpg

Forgive me if it was mentioned in another 4CFC thread... what construction/fiber was chosen for the sails? Inquiring minds want to know.... :)

I fully understand why you have nothing to say. Amazing, isn't it? I know, it's boring. Doesn't fit the "narrative". But reality is we are building four amazing carbon fiber cruising boats.

Thank you Varan. I agree. Boomer's photography is amazing. These are my babies. I care about them.

Boomer posted a lot more photos over on CA. Look for the "My newest project" thread.

Varan:

Yes, I'd be happy to give you the tour. My shack is an hour south of the yard. Maybe you would like to spend a night at the shack. I am a good cook. My wife is used to it.

My shack is your shack.

Whoa, so generous, but I could never impose that much. I would be totally happy to just see the project and buy you lunch in return. Thank you so much though.

Progress as of yesterday. Deck is bonded onto hull. Bulwark is being finished and bowsprit going on. Hull structure and bhds going into hull no. 2. Deck for no. 2 getting ready to be laminated. Hull plug is ready for no. 3.

035_zpswlrpkna5.jpg

064_zpsrwjsklkc.jpg

Asym:

Yes. We were looking all over for him yesterday. Nobody had seen him. Finally one of the guys looked in the SB booth and there he was. I think Jim is most happy when left alone to work on the boat. He does these welding projects he calls "therapy welding". He was sand blasting this bracket for the big alternator yesterday when we found him.

031_zpslg5wbl8l.jpg

He does nice welding - "rows of dimes" indeed.

I imagine when welding like that, one can achieve a similar Zen like state to varnishing. Sometimes it's nice to turn off the brain and just do.

Bob, do they pot the deck onto the hull with epoxy adhesive and then laminate the joins? Do they use 5200 and then laminate? Fasteners? That boat looks bulletproof and ready for anything around the world.

Very interesting thread. Thanks for posting it.

Scotty:

Not sure my client is familiar with the DEAD.

Chris: No 5200 just epoxy and carbon. No fasteners either. We are trying to avoid holes through the hull/deck joint area.

If you go to "My newest project" thread on CA you can see some good close up pics of the bulwark. I'll get more tomorrow.

088_zps2j1ayz14.jpg

103_zpscoyhbcue.jpg

29517416884_a0e46b82a9_h.jpg

Bob, took a look at the thread on ca. Its funny, back in mid 2000s I was working at a company that had just purchased acc marine from Jay Lhavaty. Over the next 3.5 years I got an immersion in advanced composites and engineering. We did aerospace parts including a weapons pylon for thr blackhawk helicopter and on the marine side we continued and attempted to expand Jays business with rudder shafts, full rudders, bearings, spin poles, sprits etc. One of the guys I worked with who had been part of the ultimate sailboats team for a number of years spoke very highly of jim betts and now I know why. Beautiful work.

one of them should be named molly brown!

Chris:

Jim Betts is a peach to work with.

One day when we were finishing the deck plug the owner showed up, grabbed two workers and began modifying "my" cockpit coaming. I did my best to explain why I designed the way I did but the owner was on a roll and wanted the change. They mocked up the change on the plug. It was awful but I bit my tongue. Then Jim Betts walked out on the shop floor. took one look at the coaming mockup and said, "I'm not doing that." and walked away. End of discussion. I was relieved. The coaming is as designed.

I'll see Jim today. We are gearing up for a new 44'er at the yard. Very different from the carbon cutters. More like a cruising J Boat. More fun for the next year.

Viking:

Be careful what you wish for. I think Hobs is right. Better to be my dog.

Just back from the yard and I'll post a couple pics here and more on CA. It was a very beautiful day for a drive through farm country.

Bcam:

The farm store, SNOW GOOSE PRODUCE, closed on Sunday for the winter. Today I stopped at that little grocery store at the bottom of the hill Rexville Grocery I think it's called/ Got some sliced turkey for my dog and a beer for me. Took the back road back to Conway and stopped to buy some fresh eggs. If I have to go to work I might as well make a nice day of it.

019_zpsxx7c172x.jpg

021_zpspe8vxptu.jpg

Titanium asym tack line fairlead combined with almost traditional star bowsprit detail. This is the design and fabrication work of Eric at the Betts yard. I had the idea but I did not have a hard image in mind so I gave the job to Eric. He had already made the fairlead donut. I love it. It's bot the traditional cast bronze star but this is not the traditional carvel planked cutter either.

Good job Eric Olausen!

Kind of reminds me of a star you might see on a state trooper. Very much in keeping with the "bullet proof" personality of the cutters.

This is just the prototype.

star%203_zpsb1pwzvhc.jpg

Titanium asym tack line fairlead combined with almost traditional star bowsprit detail. This is the design and fabrication work of Eric at the Betts yard. I had the idea but I did not have a hard image in mind so I gave the job to Eric. He had already made the fairlead donut. I love it. It's bot the traditional cast bronze star but this is not the traditional carvel planked cutter either.

Good job Eric Olausen!

Kind of reminds me of a star you might see on a state trooper. Very much in keeping with the "bullet proof" personality of the cutters.

This is just the prototype.

star%203_zpsb1pwzvhc.jpg

I like it! Fits the end of the spirit nicely.

Bob,

I modeled up a sprit sphincter during one of the halftime periods yesterday. This link should let you or anyone here have a look in 3d in an AutoDesk online viewer. I've never used this viewer before but it looks like a good thing, surprising coming from AutoDesk... Someone let me know if the link works for them.

I sent you a link to the fitting in the project folder as well in Rhino format. You should be able to have a look at it there. I have no idea what scale it is, but let me know the hole diameter and the star diameter and I'll fix that and see about getting it printed in 3d, possibly in Sintered Ti!

http://a360.co/2eJW6uU

rb8Hz11.png

Rasper:

Thanks. I think a bigger radius on the sphincter, such as we now have, would be better. I also want it to look like all one piece.

I like the slightly unusual look of the feature the way Eric has prototyped it at this point. It will look better in titanium.

But as usual you model is amazing.

Bob

I was actually thinking of a bigger inner fillet(radius) where the line would run and then it occurred to me that roundover and inner face would be better done in a Delrin AF bushing that would have the lowest friction and wear on the pennant and could easily be changed out when (and if!) needed.

Di3QXBx.png