• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Student_Driver

Well Armed Yachtsman Arrested

176 posts in this topic

Florida actually just passed a law that requires local and state officials to have probable cause before boarding, if you have a "safety decal" issued by LE from a previous boarding.

Never going to happen with the Coasties here, way too much smuggling and undocumented immigration going on every day. Someday though, it will happen.

Florida actually just passed a law that requires local and state officials to have probable cause before boarding, if you have a "safety decal" issued by LE from a previous boarding.

Never going to happen with the Coasties here, way too much smuggling and undocumented immigration going on every day. Someday though, it will happen.

You shouldn't have been boarded in the first place!

Unless you were throwing empty rum bottles at manatee or sending smuggled Cubans up the mast to run a new main halyard (rimas pun intened)they have no reason to be bothering you.

It urks me that the land of the free is a police state.

The Revenue Act of 1790 has been upheld time and time again, so the USCG really does have unlimited rights to do what they please.

As this article quotes a retired Coastie: “There are two main ways to board a vessel—either with permission, or without.”

Good read:

http://www.sailfeed.com/2012/10/coast-guard-boardings-and-your-fourth-amendment-rights-part-1/

Im not denying they have that right, im saying that if it is an U.S. owned or operated vessel they SHOULDN'T have that right without justifiable probable cause

American military group dynamics is an oxymoron.

Officers get ahead by following, in other words by being dim, which is, ironically, the opposite of what they are taught and what most of us do in a pinch.

A check, forgetaboutit...and what about the time lost?

It should be a good sized check.

When you are late for sending the govt any kind of payment they certainly jack it up with penalties and fees.

Whats sad us that if ordered most of our military would turn guns on American citizens despite the whole concept of establishing the military was to protect its citizens.

Anyone in the military takes a vow to protect this land from all threats foreign and domestic. The moment an order comes down to turn violent against citizens pushing for change is the moment the government is now a domestic threat.

It seems outlandish but depending on how things unfold in the next few years, its not the most impossible event that could happen. A presidential order for martial law.

We all know how fragile todays economy is. For those that dont own a home...many middle class citizens can barely afford rent. Im talking sub 40k a year incomes, a good portion of the blue collar working class. I'm talking about up to 50% of people in manufacturing assembly today.

Hungry people become desperate people.

We complain about people who don't work, live off government welfare, food stamps, medicade and live in section 8.

However if the only job you can get is 15 an hour at bmw manufacturing through a temp service making 15 an hour. You have two kids...that's at least 150 a week for after school because you will be at work for hours after they get out. Summers will be @200 a week.

Now let's throw in nearly 150 each week you pay for ok medical insurance.

Now out of that pay check you have to pay a sitter at least 50 a day on weekends because you only have one weekend off a month.

Oh yeah and rent is 800 bucks and thats a modest 2 br aparment.

Wow...you work 40 plus hours a week, are missing all your kids sporting and church events, have zero spending money, drive a clunker because you cant afford a car payment.

Oh if you do get hired on to bmw you get almost a dollar raise, which is just enough to piss you off because it takes years to get hired on. But at least you only pay about 25% of what you used to in health benefits.

So that single mom that ahead of you...watching Springer all day....checking out with an ebt card, all her kids have a new i pad ...and you are buying ramen noodles and your kid is playing on your free boost mobile phone

Its sad but in todays economy its easier to play the system and be poor than it is to be lower middle class.

There needs to be change. Desperate change. Violence is not the key but neither is handing over our gun rights. Those ears in Washington have no reason to hear if they have no reason to fear you.

I am from the south...there are kids around with a better stocked gun safe!

What chaps my ass is there being a constitutional right to own guns. To me the constitution is your gun permit.

Any law enforcment agency or government establishment stating otherwise is committing an act of treason.

You have a right to own and carry a long gun just like a soldier. That is the intent of the Constitution. You have no right to conceal any weapon nor possess any weapon that can easily be concealed.

Really!!

Where are those words in the second amendment??

The guy had arms.

His right to keep and bear those arms cannot be infringed.

Arresting this man would be a violation of the US Constitution

Unfortunately when you are dealing with bureaucrats and many law enforcement agencies they lack common sense.

Obviously someone carrying a load of assault rifels should be brought in for questioning.

Not in the United States.

Assault rifles are arms.

Have you ever read the Second Amendment??

So is an M1A1.

What well regulated militia do you belong to?

Within or outside US law, the man and his family would suffer at the hands of the state,

Even if democratic or representative government, such events point out the real cost of justice, if it exists. Justice is only for those with a bankroll, when the heavy hand of state minions err; you get my drift.

Not complaining. Fact of life, which democratic bureaucracies may address, but likely only if called to task,

Iimagine fate in some places, like Rio, Turkey, SE Asia, etc, Reality does not follow us, we travel to it.

Not to argue, but doesn't get a bit messy when the military chain of command is involved? We can discuss, to what end. The USCG is what it is!

Unfortunately when you are dealing with bureaucrats and many law enforcement agencies they lack common sense.

Obviously someone carrying a load of assault rifels should be brought in for questioning.

Not in the United States.

Assault rifles are arms.

Have you ever read the Second Amendment??

By load i mean an arsenal. Im simply saying that finding a ship load of a hundred guns, common sense would say question the capt and crew.

If they are all legal send him on his way.

4 guns...use common sense and send him on his way.

Obviously selling and buying illegal guns should be illegal and we don't want that to happen. Having legally purchased guns anywhere should be completely legal and encouraged.

Granted it all goes back to why the ship was boarded. Unless it was obvious probable cause they should have zero right to board him.

Some people look like they are up to no good...like Hillary Clinton. Bitch should be detained at least on a weekly basis. There isnt an honest word that comes out of her face. She's a disgrace to politicians and that says a lot.

However jo blow on his yacht minding his own business. .unless he's being reckless, loading or cleaning or swinging his weapons in the cockpit publicly where its making others nervous or sitting on the bow snorting a huge line as he passes the cg..he should be left alone.

One overriding factor. The right of anyone to defend self and family...particularly on the "high seas." Family first...never attract attention, but being prepared does not seem unreasonable...save the cost.

One overriding factor. The right of anyone to defend self and family...particularly on the "high seas." Family first...never attract attention, but being prepared does not seem unreasonable...save the cost.

In the aviation community, any peace officer can ask a pilot for certain documents, License, ID, Medical Certificate, Aircraft Registration, at any time and the licensee must provide them. But only the FAA can order a ramp check and inspect the plane for airworthiness, which they occasionally do. This is applicable in that DHS and even airport personnel have been approaching transient aircraft demanding to perform ramp checks and the aviation community is divided about 50/50 over whether or not to demand a search warrant beforehand. In the analogous situation USCG can board at any time for a safety inspection but, and this is the tough part, if they ask whether or not you have guns aboard, and let's say you do, are you obligated to answer or do you say "show me your search warrant"? We seem to have a trend in this country of law enforcement pushing the limits at the expense of constitutionally protected personal liberty. It's not going to change until people start pushing back.

You almost always have the "Right to Remain Silent". In virtually any jurisdiction with virtually any kind of law enforcement or regulatory authority if you lie you have committed one or more crimes. The USCG can take apart any boat they want in the search for contraband.

Sorry, but when it comes to Coast Guard boardings, you don’t have any rights.

The U.S. Coast Guard Boarding Policy:

Title 14 section 89 of the United States Code authorizes the U.S. Coast Guard to board vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, anytime, any place upon the high seas and upon any waterway over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquires, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests. The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. The U.S. Coast Guard also have full legal law enforcement power on any land under the control of the United States, as needed to complete any mission.

Sweeping powers. In a paper in the William and Mary Law Review, law scholar Greg Shelton says, “In terms of enforcement power, Coast Guard boarding officers are clearly America's "supercops."” Another law scholar, Megan Jaye Kight, says, "As such, these provisions comprise what has been accurately characterized as 'one of the most sweeping grants of police authority ever to be written into U.S. law.'"

Resist the USCG and the fine and penalty is $10,000 and Ten Years.

Yes the Coast Guard has the right and it has been through the courts since it was originally a tariff issue.

Does anyone know if state police have the same right? I was told by a NJ trooper they do. But a federal entity is different from a state entity it seems.Any info as i have been unable to find it. Specifically NJ if available

Getting caught in New York City or anywhere in New Jersey with a handgun and no local permit and you will spend at least three if not ten years in jail. Simply missing your exit and accidently crossing a bridge into NJ without a NJ handgun permit has put several in jail for years. How we allowed out gun laws to differ from state to state with reciprocity is a travesty.

"A person carrying a firearm without a valid permit in New York City could be charged with "criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree," a felony. Unlawfully carrying a firearm in New York City is typically punishable by a prison term of 3 1/2 years."

AMERICA!!!

Land of the Free!

And i have the Licences and Permits to prove it!

In the aviation community, any peace officer can ask a pilot for certain documents, License, ID, Medical Certificate, Aircraft Registration, at any time and the licensee must provide them. But only the FAA can order a ramp check and inspect the plane for airworthiness, which they occasionally do. This is applicable in that DHS and even airport personnel have been approaching transient aircraft demanding to perform ramp checks and the aviation community is divided about 50/50 over whether or not to demand a search warrant beforehand. In the analogous situation USCG can board at any time for a safety inspection but, and this is the tough part, if they ask whether or not you have guns aboard, and let's say you do, are you obligated to answer or do you say "show me your search warrant"? We seem to have a trend in this country of law enforcement pushing the limits at the expense of constitutionally protected personal liberty. It's not going to change until people start pushing back.

You almost always have the "Right to Remain Silent". In virtually any jurisdiction with virtually any kind of law enforcement or regulatory authority if you lie you have committed one or more crimes. The USCG can take apart any boat they want in the search for contraband.

Sorry, but when it comes to Coast Guard boardings, you don’t have any rights.

The U.S. Coast Guard Boarding Policy:

Title 14 section 89 of the United States Code authorizes the U.S. Coast Guard to board vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, anytime, any place upon the high seas and upon any waterway over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquires, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests. The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. The U.S. Coast Guard also have full legal law enforcement power on any land under the control of the United States, as needed to complete any mission.

Sweeping powers. In a paper in the William and Mary Law Review, law scholar Greg Shelton says, “In terms of enforcement power, Coast Guard boarding officers are clearly America's "supercops."” Another law scholar, Megan Jaye Kight, says, "As such, these provisions comprise what has been accurately characterized as 'one of the most sweeping grants of police authority ever to be written into U.S. law.'"

Resist the USCG and the fine and penalty is $10,000 and Ten Years.

Yes the Coast Guard has the right and it has been through the courts since it was originally a tariff issue.

Does anyone know if state police have the same right? I was told by a NJ trooper they do. But a federal entity is different from a state entity it seems.Any info as i have been unable to find it. Specifically NJ if available

Both law enforcement arms get many of their powers with the need to protect all of us with safety inspections. If the car, boat, or truck is totally private the search may be limited to a safety inspection. If during the "safety" inspection the sworn officer sees something illegal or criminal the sworn officer can pursue that. If the car, boat, or truck is commercial in nature. The authorities have the right to search that for any commercial product that could be tariff or under other regulatory control. When you take a machine onto the state's road or water you will grant certain rights to the government to protect all of us. Get over it!

All that dribble aside. If you are in a car and somehow get yourself arrested. The NJ police will completely search that vehicle for any valuables before they store it for you until you get out of jail. Again if in the process of a basic safety stop or other search to protect you or others the police see something illegal they not supposed to look the other way and ignore it.

Your option is to argue you were treated unfairly in front of a judge. Tell a cop No on a road, Lie to a cop on a road and he can arrest you and search everywhere. He can even search and dig up your ass if he wants to.

If you like to hide behind your "rights". Leave you stash at home on your own property. Never consent to anything, Never answer any question ever. If the cops show up at your door. Sit in silence and go no where near that door. If they have a warrant they will make that clear and come in one way or another to follow the letter of that warrant. Or simply abided by the laws of your democracy and you should have no worries.

I find it interesting about the safety inspection part. I am sure that is what they hid under. I almost always will see a NJ state police, CG or Philly police boat in the river. They always seem more interested in the power boats and jet skis. I will admit i have never had an issue on the Delaware river.

Your comment about searching the vehicle for valuables, as far as i know unless there is something in plain sight a warrant is needed to search a vehicle.

I have always been and always told my kids to be polite with the police. However i would never let them search my vehicle without a warrant and tell them the same.

Thanks CB for your input

Your comment about searching the vehicle for valuables, as far as i know unless there is something in plain sight a warrant is needed to search a vehicle.

The "TV in the sugar bowl" rule most likely applies. If you have a warrant to search for cocaine, and you open the sugar bowl and find it, that'd be admissible. If your warrant is to search for a stolen TV, and you open the sugar bowl and find cocaine, that's getting tossed out of court because it's not reasonable to look for a TV in a sugar bowl.

Likewise, if they're doing a "safety inspection" and they open a door marked "FLARES" and they find guns in there, they can get you. If they look somewhere that shouldn't be covered by a "safety inspection," and they find guns, that should get tossed. The obvious rub is that it's easy to find an excuse to look literally anywhere on a boat if it's "for safety."

I should have said car instead of vehicle in that line. Except for trucks I have never seen safety inspections on the open road for private vehicles. Haven't seen any sobriety checkpoints lately either. Thanks again for input

I find it interesting about the safety inspection part. I am sure that is what they hid under. I almost always will see a NJ state police, CG or Philly police boat in the river. They always seem more interested in the power boats and jet skis. I will admit i have never had an issue on the Delaware river.

I have always been and always told my kids to be polite with the police. However i would never let them search my vehicle without a warrant and tell them the same.

Thanks CB for your input

Don't try that with border patrol. They can tear your car apart for whatever reason and leave you a pile of pieces to put back together.

A different slant.

I drove to CA from MN, taking the middle road, I-80 I believe. I pass though the upper portion of Utah, intentionally not stopping in that state for anything (another story.)

Returning I was pulled over just outside the west side of where the GSL ends before greater Salt Lake City, ostensibly for not signaling a lane change.

Utah handles traffic stops much different than MN or most places. Because traffic was passing at 80 plus and location, I stayed in car, and state car was behind, not protective.

The young officer (Male) quickly approached on passenger side and I opened door. A brownie my daughter had made sat on seat, as a snack...was a large brownie. I moved it so officer could get in car, I invited him in, and set the brownie on dash.

I gave the officer my license and insurance card. He went back to his unit to check data and return to ask for title info as no data on car...I had just bought the car and luckily had the bill of sale etc. I gave him the info, while we talked...and he ate part of the brownie...all very very friendly. He invited me to join him in his car...which I did, exiting close to whizzing cars...and got into his very cramped computerized passenger side... All checked out and we discussed family etc, as he printed out warning ticket. BTW, I had signaled the lane change but chose not to argue the point. While talking he asked if he could look in my trunk. I asked him if he was looking for contraband and he said yes...I said, "Gee Colorado is way down the road..." CO is pot legal...and he asked me why I mentioned CO and I said pot was legal there...guess he did not think about it.

Anyway, we went to may car and I opened truck and nothing untoward or messed...all very gentlemanly etc. As I look back, I felt I had made a new friend and did not mind that he wanted to check my car...I did have a cased, unloaded pistol in a bag, and a permit to carry (MN/Utah) but did not mention it and saved time, am thinking. I did have a branch and seed from a redwood downed by city near where I was staying...and he asked about it...at time I did not know it takes 7 years for seed to germinate, but said I intended to plant it and see what happened.

As I said, I have I think a new friend in Utah, of all places, whose work likely will prevent more serious crimes from taking place, as was the case with most police, before the wackos began to holler about lives etc and officers backed away from their work.

Point being, I was open and so on, as was officer and we had a friendly encounter, that cost me a lot of miles and travel time, but not pinging him for being wrong was the better behavior, IMHO. I think the "authorities" are our friends, its the politicians who scare the heck out of me and would get the grief, not the working officer who is typically a working stiff...unless you are flying with crows, why worry?

Thinking about the brownie and what was left of it...officer ate half of it...makes me smile...what if???

While talking he asked if he could look in my trunk. I asked him if he was looking for contraband and he said yes...I said, "Gee Colorado is way down the road..." CO is pot legal...and he asked me why I mentioned CO and I said pot was legal there...guess he did not think about it.

Anyway, we went to may car and I opened truck and nothing untoward or messed...all very gentlemanly etc. As I look back, I felt I had made a new friend and did not mind that he wanted to check my car....

None of my friends have ever asked to search my vehicles.

I would have asked why he wanted to do that and if he had no answer that would make a judge issue a warrant, I'd refuse.

You're free to consent, of course, but that also implies that you are free not to consent to a search if it's not reasonable. If it's reasonable, there should be a reason.

"I just want to search your trunk, you know, like friends always do" is not a reason I would accept.

Of course, and you would still be dealing with it, or maybe spent a night in the local keep, wouldn't you?

No disrespect intended but; There are times and places to stand, and there are times and places to shut the fuck up and bend. Would that some of our human brothers and sisters practice that, instead of always jawing and demanding "their rights!

A different slant.

I drove to CA from MN, taking the middle road, I-80 I believe. I pass though the upper portion of Utah, intentionally not stopping in that state for anything (another story.)

Returning I was pulled over just outside the west side of where the GSL ends before greater Salt Lake City, ostensibly for not signaling a lane change.

Utah handles traffic stops much different than MN or most places. Because traffic was passing at 80 plus and location, I stayed in car, and state car was behind, not protective.

The young officer (Male) quickly approached on passenger side and I opened door. A brownie my daughter had made sat on seat, as a snack...was a large brownie. I moved it so officer could get in car, I invited him in, and set the brownie on dash.

I gave the officer my license and insurance card. He went back to his unit to check data and return to ask for title info as no data on car...I had just bought the car and luckily had the bill of sale etc. I gave him the info, while we talked...and he ate part of the brownie...all very very friendly. He invited me to join him in his car...which I did, exiting close to whizzing cars...and got into his very cramped computerized passenger side... All checked out and we discussed family etc, as he printed out warning ticket. BTW, I had signaled the lane change but chose not to argue the point. While talking he asked if he could look in my trunk. I asked him if he was looking for contraband and he said yes...I said, "Gee Colorado is way down the road..." CO is pot legal...and he asked me why I mentioned CO and I said pot was legal there...guess he did not think about it.

Anyway, we went to may car and I opened truck and nothing untoward or messed...all very gentlemanly etc. As I look back, I felt I had made a new friend and did not mind that he wanted to check my car...I did have a cased, unloaded pistol in a bag, and a permit to carry (MN/Utah) but did not mention it and saved time, am thinking. I did have a branch and seed from a redwood downed by city near where I was staying...and he asked about it...at time I did not know it takes 7 years for seed to germinate, but said I intended to plant it and see what happened.

As I said, I have I think a new friend in Utah, of all places, whose work likely will prevent more serious crimes from taking place, as was the case with most police, before the wackos began to holler about lives etc and officers backed away from their work.

Point being, I was open and so on, as was officer and we had a friendly encounter, that cost me a lot of miles and travel time, but not pinging him for being wrong was the better behavior, IMHO. I think the "authorities" are our friends, its the politicians who scare the heck out of me and would get the grief, not the working officer who is typically a working stiff...unless you are flying with crows, why worry?

Thinking about the brownie and what was left of it...officer ate half of it...makes me smile...what if???

Should have given him one of my brownies. That would have got him smiling :)

As noted...Dig...always wondered "what if..." His daughter and mine have same names, "Wren." Like I think, new friend, in Utah no less!

The amount of ignorance, paranoid fantasies, imaginary Constitutional scholars, stupidity, and spelling errors in this thread make it obviously clear why Donald Trump is the Republican candidate for president in the upcoming election.

Fine but for the love of God has anyone sprung Jack free yet?

I need a new car/truck and somebody to say "yes!"

# should have known he would be a powerboater

And what would have been done had the man plopped a 75mm cannon at the wheelhouse? Are cannons verboten? Bet not!

Donald trump is the candidate because the American working class is sick and tired of politicians...especially career politicians.

And the idea of that RBF Hillary Clinton even being on a ballot makes me want to puke. She is the very definition of a corrupt career politician. Her lies are well documented, her responsibility for the deaths of innocents had no disputing evidence which proves just how far she will go to cheat the system and yet people are still pushing for her Democratic nomination. That is the very definition of ignorance.

I know its not a constitutional right to be stupid. Any vote for Hillary Clinton should be viewed as an act of treason and you should be immediately hung at your nearest post office with a sign saying voting for Hillary was a stupid idea strapped to your swinging corpse.

In this age of information being so readily available...how can people not just open one eye and see how evil and corrupt this woman is.

Is trump a great candidate? Definitely not. However, hes the best candidate we've had since ron Paul.

And being trump is popular and famous, he has a chance.

So your choice is billionare playboy who hates taxes

Or

Lucifer in ugly female form who wants to take all your money and push us further into socialism. Oh yeah...and she will do whatever it takes including killing innocent Americans.

Ever wonder why so many Chinese and over seas buisnesses and buisness men put millions in the Clinton foundation? I am willing to bet its not because of their big hearts. And it cant be for favors can it? No!

I, for one do not disagree, but we have gone way off topic.

Donald trump is the candidate because the American working class is sick and tired of politicians...especially career politicians.

And the idea of that RBF Hillary Clinton even being on a ballot makes me want to puke. She is the very definition of a corrupt career politician. Her lies are well documented, her responsibility for the deaths of innocents had no disputing evidence which proves just how far she will go to cheat the system and yet people are still pushing for her Democratic nomination. That is the very definition of ignorance.

I know its not a constitutional right to be stupid. Any vote for Hillary Clinton should be viewed as an act of treason and you should be immediately hung at your nearest post office with a sign saying voting for Hillary was a stupid idea strapped to your swinging corpse.

In this age of information being so readily available...how can people not just open one eye and see how evil and corrupt this woman is.

Is trump a great candidate? Definitely not. However, hes the best candidate we've had since ron Paul.

Or

Lucifer in ugly female form who wants to take all your money and push us further into socialism. Oh yeah...and she will do whatever it takes including killing innocent Americans.

Ever wonder why so many Chinese and over seas buisnesses and buisness men put millions in the Clinton foundation? I am willing to bet its not because of their big hearts. And it cant be for favors can it? No!

this is your first and only warning. knock off the political bs. there are a million stupid gun threads in pa to post this shit in. the OP is a worthy topic to discuss in a sailing forum but the rest of the gun rights crap belongs in pa.

Aye. Don't shoot at me. OP is of interest only.

I totally agree with a well armed population keeps the government in fear of abusing their power. However the US public is not as well armed as the US military. This needs to be rectified. It should be permitted that cruise missiles, tanks, armed drones and anything else the military has be permitted to be bought by the ordinary citizenry. Anything short of this and the 2nd amendment is a sham!

I totally agree with a well armed population keeps the government in fear of abusing their power. However the US public is not as well armed as the US military. This needs to be rectified. It should be permitted that cruise missiles, tanks, armed drones and anything else the military has be permitted to be bought by the ordinary citizenry. Anything short of this and the 2nd amendment is a sham!

You should probably be asking something pertaining to jack and his arrest

I think Hillary supporters are angry and want this topic to stay on track.

I bet Bob could design a great sailing cruiser with well designed hidden compartments.

Ive often wondered what gun owning cruisers do when entering ports in other counties

I don't understand this power. You have rights or you do not. Push back does not seem to be an option as I understand it the SCOUSA has upheld this practice.

I have the right to free speech all the time not just when I am on land and second I step on a boat it goes away.

It's jack boot aggression that USCG gets away with by using loop holes to take away rights.

Fuck them

Except if I am sinking and I need them to come and save my sorry ass then they are wonderful.

I am sort of mixed up on this one.

Sorry

Rimas uses the uscg as a tow service

I don't understand this power. You have rights or you do not. Push back does not seem to be an option as I understand it the SCOUSA has upheld this practice.

I have the right to free speech all the time not just when I am on land and second I step on a boat it goes away.

It's jack boot aggression that USCG gets away with by using loop holes to take away rights.

Fuck them

Except if I am sinking and I need them to come and save my sorry ass then they are wonderful.

Sorry

There is no right that can be exercised completely untrammeled. Your right to free speech has limits. All of your rights have limits, usually when they butt up against someone else exercising their rights, or when health and safety are threatened.

It's really important to understand this sort of thing. When you don't, you become vulnerable to bad information, appeals to emotion rather than reason, or believing outright untruths.

As Varan mentioned above, it's not just the USCG, it's anywhere at the border, and border is defined roughly as within 100 miles of the border.

Fuck them

Sorry

Huron.... What "rights" are being trampled here?

Fuck them

Sorry

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The only question to ask any law enforcement personnel ( in the US) if you feel you are being investigated ( even at a traffic stop ) is "am i being detained or am i free to go " and start filming with your phone (if you have one).

If questioned why you are filming be polite but let them know its for both your and their protection from misunderstanding.

Under no circumstances do i ever agree to be searched or my property searched with out either my permission or a search warrant.

If i know i have committed no offence i will not waiver one bit in this approach ( the last time cost me 10 minutes of time that i was more than willing to spend to protect my rights).

I am pro police but i am more pro Constitution.

There is no legal stop and search law in the US without probable cause EVER.

:ph34r:The truly sad thing is the people of New Jersey have sacrificed their rights for security and as a result they have neither. The criminal element pays no attention to the law but arresting them produces no profit for the local government. This results in criminals being overlooked and honest citizens being prosecuted for profit. The only cure to this trend is relentless and consistent legal action to enforce the constitution with severe monetary compensation for those whom rights have been violated. The profit must be removed and with it will go the incentive for governments to persecute citizens for the simple reason of generating the funds necessary to expand or maintain government programs. If they would arrest all the crooked politicians who are constantly robbing the coffers, taking bribes, selling arms to terrorists and drug cartels, influence peddling, assassinating informants, etc.... there would be plenty of cash to go around.

I'm curious how far individual states and/or cities, jurisdictions extend into navigable waters?

Sure states have control over resources up to the three mile limit (oil, fisheries), and some are extending control over the seabed for anchoring rights, but how far can states exert arbitrary control to a vessel in transit? Where does that authority come from?

It works a little different in Canuckistan. Anywhere you legally spend the night is considered your domicile for the night. An overnighter on your boat is your home as soon as you are legally anchored. If Jack was traversing any province with legally possessed firearms, including handguns, the municipal cops can freak out as much as they want but there's not much they can do.

Fuck them

Sorry

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It would be this one

I know free speech is not standing in theatre shouting fire, my point of view is a bit more nuanced, so give me a break

And dili fuck off with the Canukistan when the US gets it act together (Hillary and Trump is the best you folks can do?) you can start insulting other countries

I'm curious how far individual states and/or cities, jurisdictions extend into navigable waters?

Sure states have control over resources up to the three mile limit (oil, fisheries), and some are extending control over the seabed for anchoring rights, but how far can states exert arbitrary control to a vessel in transit? Where does that authority come from?

It works a little different in Canuckistan. Anywhere you legally spend the night is considered your domicile for the night. An overnighter on your boat is your home as soon as you are legally anchored. If Jack was traversing any province with legally possessed firearms, including handguns, the municipal cops can freak out as much as they want but there's not much they can do.

The State owns the road and water period up to the high tide line. That is why we can all use it. Get in or on a mechanical device and the state has the legal privilege to stop and do a safety inspection. That does not give them the specific right to inspect the inside of your purse or fanny pack while on your person without arrest, probable cause, a warrant, or your permission. If you are US Vessel the USCG can stop and inspect you anywhere in the world. You gave the state that permission the moment you claimed to be a US Vessel. "Rights" swing both ways.

If you think anyone has any of this wrong. When your turn comes up on the docket in court you can make your claim at that time to the judge. FYI, the second the cop asked you to step out of the car. You are being detained and very close or over the line where you are arrested. Arrest means a total search including up your ass should they choose. The USCG never needs your permission to take your US vessel apart for inspection.

The only question to ask any law enforcement personnel ( in the US) if you feel you are being investigated ( even at a traffic stop ) is "am i being detained or am i free to go " and start filming with your phone (if you have one).

If questioned why you are filming be polite but let them know its for both your and their protection from misunderstanding.

Under no circumstances do i ever agree to be searched or my property searched with out either my permission or a search warrant.

If i know i have committed no offence i will not waiver one bit in this approach ( the last time cost me 10 minutes of time that i was more than willing to spend to protect my rights).

Good luck with that... If you even have the appearance of any form of intoxication the officer who stopped you has every authority to search the automobile for the drugs or alcohol that led to your intoxication. Go ahead... Whip out your camera and challenge the police. See how that works for you. Handle yourself properly from the time you enter the public roadway and there is little chance any law enforcement person will want to take up their time and energy to search you. If the police are often asking to search you? You are certainly fucking up somewhere along the way.

One reason lawyers exist is ambiguity...as in "rights!" Be smart or be sorry," works well for me, and believe it when I say I have had run-ins with some really bad police people looking for quick money.

Again another naive half truth...

There is no legal stop and search law in the US without probable cause EVER

If you are on a public right of way using a car, boat, truck.... you gave consent when you entered to be inspected for safety. If during that safety stop any other reason presents itself you are subject to searches of all kinds and types. If you give the appearance of criminal behavior you have given a reason to be detained for investigation. During that investigation if you demonstrate a reason to be search. There is nothing illegal or improper with the search. The Constitution only limits "unreasonable search" NO search is ever banned by the Constitution. Local, State, or Federal authorities only must be able to "articulate" the reason for the search to prevail.

What does the Constitution ban.... Law Enforcement walking down the road and deciding without valid legal "reason" to kick down your door and toss your home for harassment with no viable reason they can later "articulate" to a judge or group of judges.

If the police can explain to a judge later or in advance they can do it. Get over it!

+1

The State owns the road and water period up to the high tide line. That is why we can all use it. Get in or on a mechanical device and the state has the legal privilege to stop and do a safety inspection. That does not give them the specific right to inspect the inside of your purse or fanny pack while on your person without arrest, probable cause, a warrant, or your permission. If you are US Vessel the USCG can stop and inspect you anywhere in the world. You gave the state that permission the moment you claimed to be a US Vessel. "Rights" swing both ways.

If you think anyone has any of this wrong. When your turn comes up on the docket in court you can make your claim at that time to the judge. FYI, the second the cop asked you to step out of the car. You are being detained and very close or over the line where you are arrested. Arrest means a total search including up your ass should they choose. The USCG never needs your permission to take your US vessel apart for inspection.

I was more curious where the dividing line between Federal/State/city jurisdictions lie, particularly where NYC marine units can impose NYC by-laws on a Federally controlled port of entry body of water against a vessel in transit, i.e. NY Harbour?

And Huron, I'm in Ontario. I wouldn't want to stack St.Justin The Shirtless against either Trump or Hillary. I can however have a gun on the boat and sail through Ontario, Quebec & Nova Scotia. Or in a tent canoe camping for that matter. Because the firearms laws are all Federally controlled and offences fall under the Criminal Code for all provinces.

I was more curious where the dividing line between Federal/State/city jurisdictions lie, particularly where NYC marine units can impose NYC by-laws on a Federally controlled port of entry body of water against a vessel in transit, i.e. NY Harbour?

And Huron, I'm in Ontario. I wouldn't want to stack St.Justin The Shirtless against either Trump or Hillary. I can however have a gun on the boat and sail through Ontario, Quebec & Nova Scotia. Or in a tent canoe camping for that matter. Because the firearms laws are all Federally controlled and offences fall under the Criminal Code for all provinces.

When you cross the border into the US you are subject to all US applicable laws. Those laws are normally enforced by US sworn agents and the federal prosecutors. When you cross into the State of New York all New York State Laws also apply usually enforced by State and Local Law Enforcement with hearings held in the State Courts. New York City has its own borders and sworn local officers with local courts. When inside the borders of New York City anywhere on the water or land any of the three justifications can arrest you and bring you up on charges in the appropriate court with the appropriate DA. There is no loophole all three can hang your ass. The feds gets the first bite the apple if all three want you, then the state, then the city. Old Jack here could and may well end up in all three courts and all three jails if things go very poorly. DUI is the best example here in the harbor. There are multiple jurisdiction laws and you can be charged by any and all three of the jurisdictions and more than 10 different police forces.

The same would be true on our federal highways. Any three of the levels of law enforcement can stop you for a safety inspection or unsafe/criminal operation and issue citations or arrest you.

The cliff notes... Once you cross the border you are subject to all the laws and enforcement sworn to enforce all the laws of that jurisdiction. In most jurisdiction a individual citizen can enforce the laws themselves with detention until the proper sworn officer arrives and take over.

In New York if you see someone you commit a felony you can arrest them yourself anywhere in the State of New York. If you saw Jack with those guns yourself you could have arrested him yourself. Same if you see someone with a dooby in his lips.

S 140.30 Arrest without a warrant; by any person; when and

where authorized.

1. Subject to the provisions of subdivision two, any person may

arrest another person (a) for a felony when the latter has in fact

committed such felony, and (B) for any offense when the latter has in

fact committed such offense in his presence.

2. Such an arrest, if for a felony, may be made anywhere in the

state. If the arrest is for an offense other than a felony, it may be

made only in the county in which such offense was committed.

Canadians find the US legal landscape amusing, confusing or invasive to the point of scary. If I didn't hate snow I'd go live up there.

Canadians find the US legal landscape amusing, confusing or invasive to the point of scary. If I didn't hate snow I'd go live up there.

Maybe... But, if you ever had a DUI in your life and drove to the Canadian border in the back seat with three others in the car. When the Canadian Border Patrol ran your name in the database you would be denied entry to Canada most likely with everyone else in the car with you. Canada has many of its own quirks. Ask anyone who has done the Halifax Race with a crew member who forgot or "did not know" he had an arrest record. Even George Bush had to get a special dispensation to visit Canada due to his DUI arrest in Maine with his sister in the car decades ago.

Maybe... But, if you ever had a DUI in your life and drove to the Canadian border in the back seat with three others in the car. When the Canadian Border Patrol ran your name in the database you would be denied entry to Canada most likely with everyone else in the car with you. Canada has many of its own quirks. Ask anyone who has done the Halifax Race with a crew member who forgot or "did not know" he had an arrest record. Even George Bush had to get a special dispensation to visit Canada due to his DUI arrest in Maine with his sister in the car decades ago.

It's not an arrest, it's a DUI or felony conviction that will blackball you from crossing the border. until you pony up a $1k "exemption" that has to be renewed annually. Pardons don't count.

And I find it hard to believe that NYC owns the water in the East River or can lay charges out to the 200 mile limit. Docked or moored, okay, but there has to be a limit somewhere.

It's not an arrest, it's a DUI or felony conviction that will blackball you from crossing the border. until you pony up a $1k "exemption" that has to be renewed annually. Pardons don't count.

And I find it hard to believe that NYC owns the water in the East River or can lay charges out to the 200 mile limit. Docked or moored, okay, but there has to be a limit somewhere.

So... umm... rich drunk drivers are OK?

Or

this is your first and only warning. knock off the political bs. there are a million stupid gun threads in pa to post this shit in. the OP is a worthy topic to discuss in a sailing forum but the rest of the gun rights crap belongs in pa.

He was responding to an equally charged post by soak ed. Why no threats to him. Biased much?

Works real well... up until the time officer krupke says he smells marijuana in the car/boat. So now there's your probable cause for a search.

To get real for a second, so hypothetically, what would happen to a crew member sailing in the MH-Halifax race that beat a DUI charge but (not guilty) but was convicted of say Negligent Operation or reckless driving in the States? From my last race, I remember CA Customs seemed pretty lax, the skipper went with the Customs while the crew sat on the boat at the dock drinking beer and talking hockey with another Customs agent. 10 minutes later good to go.

What would happen to the crew member if they declined entry? What are the odds? Would the person be confined to the boat, taken away, made to leave the country immediatly? It's not like the airport or the border, you're deep into CA with no easy way out.

I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone and how it all would be handled.

To get real for a second, so hypothetically, what would happen to a crew member sailing in the MH-Halifax race that beat a DUI charge but (not guilty) but was convicted of say Negligent Operation or reckless driving in the States? From my last race, I remember CA Customs seemed pretty lax, the skipper went with the Customs while the crew sat on the boat at the dock drinking beer and talking hockey with another Customs agent. 10 minutes later good to go.

What would happen to the crew member if they declined entry? What are the odds? Would the person be confined to the boat, taken away, made to leave the country immediatly? It's not like the airport or the border, you're deep into CA with no easy way out.

I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone and how it all would be handled.

Lesser non-felony convictions would be fine, charges don't matter just convictions. The problems popping up are convictions 40yrs ago when DUI was almost a joke with a fine (I.e. Dubya). Even Martha Stewart was denied entry because she's a felon.

If there's a crew member denied entry good chance the entire boat & crew will be denied entry. Happened on a Lake Ontario regatta a few years ago. Boat is put in quarantine and has 12hrs to leave the country. Canada & US share criminal databases, so if there's anything that will pop up on a roadside stop in your home state, it will almost certainly come up for Canadian Customs when they scan your passport.

And yeah, guns on the boat crossing the border is a huge no-no. As in metal bracelets, seized boat until hefty fine, kinda no-no.

If you have a record in the US of any of these things coupled with the word hybrid or serious. . The agent is supposed to reject you and anyone traveling with you at the border. The agents may have some discretion or on a busy day may not fully complete the check. Many have gotten in on an earlier trip only to find their group rejected on the next.

U.S. Crimes and Canadian Equivalent

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/prior-criminal-offenses/u-s-crimes-and-canadian-equivalent/#.V634sFQrJ1g

To determine whether you may be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of a past United States conviction, you, or an attorney, must consider the equivalent Canadian statute for the crime you were convicted of in the United States. If you were convicted of any of the offenses in this table which are considered to be hybrid or indictable offenses you will be considered criminally inadmissible to Canada.

Common Offences Summary, Hybrid or Indictable? Serious or non-serious for Canadian Immigration? Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Hybrid Non-Serious Assault Hybrid Serious if it involves bodily injury or death Possession of Substance The seriousness of the offence and the maximum sentence are dependent on the substance and the amount in possession Non-Serious False Pretenses Hybrid Depends on circumstances Trespassing at Night Summary Failure to Appear Hybrid Non-Serious Contempt of the Court Summary Non-Serious Possession – Marijuana Hybrid/Summary Non-Serious Possession – Drug Paraphernalia Does not render someone inadmissible to Canada. Possession –with Intent to Distribute Hybrid Depends on the drug in question Failure to Stop at the Scene of an Accident Hybrid Serious if there was bodily injury or death Homicide by Vehicle Indictable Serious Careless Driving Hybrid Non-Serious Resisting an Officer Hybrid Serious if it involved a weapon Assault/ Battery on a Family Member Hybrid Serious if bodily injury is involved Violating Implied Consent (Alcohol Testing) Hybrid Non-Serious Disobeying Order of the Court Hybrid Non-Serious Larceny Indictable Non-Serious unless over $5,000

Why would anyone want to go to Canada? We have plenty of hockey here in the states.

Or

He was responding to an equally charged post by soak ed. Why no threats to him. Biased much?

Im guessing he is voting for Hillary. Im not sure why anyone would vote for someone that has the look and the reputation to play an evil character on the Netflix original series house of cards.

The bad part is...she could play herself and fit the role perfectly

Or

Im guessing he is voting for Hillary. Im not sure why anyone would vote for someone that has the look and the reputation to play an evil character on the Netflix original series house of cards.

The bad part is...she could play herself and fit the role perfectly

Very typical of that elk. Go Fahrenheit 451 on anyone that disagrees with your narrow version of diversity.

Dont get me wrong..i hate republicans just as much as democrats. Im just tired of career politicians that shit on the constitution and we vote for the fuckers as we watch our rights getting pissed out the window.

What we live in now is a damn socialist police state

Just curious because my son got a DUI here in California six years ago and he works part time as a paid deckhand out of SF. I think he can petition to have the record of his conviction expunged or something like that (he has had no other infractions since) but, lets say that correct, would he still be unable to assist in a yacht delivery to or from BC?

Just curious because my son got a DUI here in California six years ago and he works part time as a paid deckhand out of SF. I think he can petition to have the record of his conviction expunged or something like that (he has had no other infractions since) but, lets say that correct, would he still be unable to assist in a yacht delivery to or from BC?

It is a complex expensive matter that can only be dealt with by specialty Canada/US immigration lawyers. Lots of time and money.

It is a complex expensive matter that can only be dealt with by specialty Canada/US immigration lawyers. Lots of time and money.

It's very straightforward, and it doesn't become outrageously expensive until you engage lawyers or even worse the parasites that sell themselves as quasi paralegal "agents".

If he has a DUI conviction, he's boned from entering Canada. Ever. Period. Obama can grant him a pardon for his sins, but he'll still be boned at the border. It's fairly straightforward to get the ball rolling for an exemption, but even for a POTUS that takes 6mos and $1k. With no guarantee it will even be granted.

Lesser non-felony convictions would be fine, charges don't matter just convictions. The problems popping up are convictions 40yrs ago when DUI was almost a joke with a fine (I.e. Dubya). Even Martha Stewart was denied entry because she's a felon.

If there's a crew member denied entry good chance the entire boat & crew will be denied entry. Happened on a Lake Ontario regatta a few years ago. Boat is put in quarantine and has 12hrs to leave the country. Canada & US share criminal databases, so if there's anything that will pop up on a roadside stop in your home state, it will almost certainly come up for Canadian Customs when they scan your passport.

And yeah, guns on the boat crossing the border is a huge no-no. As in metal bracelets, seized boat until hefty fine, kinda no-no.

Thanks. Mind if I ask your background? Like how do you know that's true? not trying to be a jerk, I just want to check it all out.

On the link link Boo-Yah provided it list Reckless Driving as a cause for inadmissible entry into CA but lists it as non-serious. The wording seems conflicting to me.

Just want to be sure the alleged crew member doesn't cause any issues.

Thx

Why would anyone want to go to Canada? We have plenty of hockey here in the states.

Good point. I wonder myself why would i want to sail in increasingly colder waters freezing my ass off and end up in Halifax? Really good question...

After glancing through this thread, I would rather go to Halifax in January in shorts and a T shirt than visit Political Anarchy!

After glancing through this thread, I would rather go to Halifax in January in shorts and a T shirt than visit Political Anarchy!

Hater

Now Mexico...thats a border i love mind passing. Cheap beer, great food and siestas. Beautiful scenery and wonderful people outside the cartel

Plus, it's God's blind spot.

Fnaaar!

While you're at it, you'd even things up by adding to the "Right to Bear Arms" a clause attesting to the "Right to Arm Bears".

Each makes just as much sense as the other.