Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

windsurfer sail on a track, Pacific style with double amos!

who's doing that one?

Guest multitranslation

Bring it.

That didn't take long did it? LOL

The thing looks like a complication to me, 4 foils, 4 wands, a canting rig...these frogs are crazy...I'll stay ashore and have me a cup of coffee.

Bloody he...... I was just thinking about how to cant a rig to lift like a windsurfer - and here it is....

Dual wands on each hull in some of the pictures and video-I wonder why?

Dick Newick designed and built a canting wing masted rig on his OCEAN SURFER 40 tri that was raced by Mark Rudiger. It had a curved traveler track that ran across the boat right on top of the main crossbeam. Regular shrouds stayed the mast and the mast was stepped on a car on the traveler and hauled to leeward with tackles and winches to achieve the canting. I seem to recall that in the early testing there were no stopper knots on the tackle and the mast step and car ran off the end of the track. Wouldn't want to do that solo on the Trans-At...

You can see the track clearly here.

2013-09-06_3539_oceansurfer2.jpg

oceansurfer3-l.jpg

Did not see any winches on it. It would seem difficult to canter the sails while underway.

Dick Newick designed and built a canting wing masted rig on his OCEAN SURFER 40 tri that was raced by Mark Rudiger. It had a curved traveler track that ran across the boat right on top of the main crossbeam. Regular shrouds stayed the mast and the mast was stepped on a car on the traveler and hauled to leeward with tackles and winches to achieve the canting. I seem to recall that in the early testing there were no stopper knots on the tackle and the mast step and car ran off the end of the track. Wouldn't want to do that solo on the Trans-At...

oceansurfer3-l.jpg

Hey, I think I took that picture. I took some ariel photos of Ocean Surfer too, one of which was used for a Baltec add. Most of them were of the underside of the wing or my knees. it was a bumpy day as I remember.

oceansurfer3-l.jpg

Hey, I think I took that picture. I took some ariel photos of Ocean Surfer too, one of which was used for a Baltec add. Most of them were of the underside of the wing or my knees. it was a bumpy day as I remember.

One of the purest sailboats ever. I talked to Dick and Mark about this, and if you look at the rig, the CE of the sailplane is under the hounds, so the mast base was supposed to move automatically to leeward. Can't remember if there was a jamming problem.

I tried a canting rig with a dippinglug. It was er, bracing. Especially when it thought it was a kite. Shunting was a nightmare.