Sign in to follow this  
Mick22

Young Rocket 780

Hi, hoping someone might be able to help me out with some info on the Young Rocket 780.

I'm looking at buying the attached boat but I'm finding it really hard to find info on the net for these boats.

Can anyone tell me if its a Mk1 Mk2 or Mk3?? Its cedar strip and was privately built in Hobart.

The cabin looks larger than other R780's , could be a builder mod??

Any info appreciated

post-125317-0-38446500-1470565894_thumb.jpg

I don't know any of the specifics you ask sorry, but I remember being awestruck as a kid (probably late '80s-early '90s) being our on opening day with everyone just pottering about, then out of nowhere a little white boat with a huge blue spinnaker tore through the fleet. As i got into racing keel boats Phantom had a habit of making everything else under 40+' look slow down wind.... Boat and trailer seem to be in pretty good condition, but haven't seen it sailing for some time. Hope she finds a good home (I have considered her, but she'd scare my wife off sailing permanently)!

More than likely it's a MK1 looking at it. There is a huge thread on this forum somewhere covering the young 780's and what make each MK different to the next.

Yes I've read thru all the old threads on here and everything I can find on the net, but unfortunately it doesn't answer what I am asking above.

A lot of the info in the existing threads is contradictory especially about the Mk3 and MK4.

Tokyo trash Baby - I am guessing that its a MK1 or MK2 because of its age however the cab looks different to another MK1 I looked at. I'm hoping someone recognises Phantom and knows all about her,

Yeah the cabin looks more like Uppercut's. Originally launched as "Blew Bayou" and was a MK3.5. Stretched to 8.2, different sheer and no swallow tail on the transom.

post-9614-0-80082800-1470621852_thumb.jpeg

Yes that does look similar in the cab.

Just got a PM from HCW and he suggests that the one I am looking at is a MK1 with a larger Cabin, apparently there are a couple of other MK1's around that are similar

Don't mean to hijack your thread Mick, but I have a y780 question and I see you have the experts here... Will also help to keep your thread going....

A friend has one here in NZ, he tells me it has a longer cabin and 2" more freeboard than 'normal' - what ever that might be... Maybe it's a mark 1? Any way, he wants to add an on deck prod and gennaker, any suggestions on prod length and kite size? He is thinking 1.5m prod, and I hope mast head. What do you all run? Or what would you if you had the choice now?

Don't mean to hijack your thread Mick, but I have a y780 question and I see you have the experts here... Will also help to keep your thread going....

A friend has one here in NZ, he tells me it has a longer cabin and 2" more freeboard than 'normal' - what ever that might be... Maybe it's a mark 1? Any way, he wants to add an on deck prod and gennaker, any suggestions on prod length and kite size? He is thinking 1.5m prod, and I hope mast head. What do you all run? Or what would you if you had the choice now?

No prob, its a question I would be asking down the track as well :)

I thought that around 1 metre would be OK but then have seen photos of Y780's with double that??

My boat, the same length, has a 3.4m (3.8m overall tube) retractable prod. I have always thought the bigger the better, within reason, 3.4m being about the end of reason on a boat this size. I'm not sure that would even be an option with a deck mounted unit, as I hear people saying 50/50 length on deck/out the front. I'd say 2m would be about the limit? The fellow I know wants to go with a bob stay. He also is trying to figure out tube size and wall thickness.

Would you go deck mounted of retractable in hull mick?

mattm, I really don't have enough experience to offer any sort of valuable opinion....i'm a newbie back to sailing after a 30 year break :) and asymm's are all new to me

My boat, the same length, has a 3.4m (3.8m overall tube) retractable prod. I have always thought the bigger the better, within reason, 3.4m being about the end of reason on a boat this size. I'm not sure that would even be an option with a deck mounted unit, as I hear people saying 50/50 length on deck/out the front. I'd say 2m would be about the limit? The fellow I know wants to go with a bob stay. He also is trying to figure out tube size and wall thickness.

Would you go deck mounted of retractable in hull mick?

How much money do they have? I think ours (That other 780 in your compound) cost us about 600 NZD for the spar and deck fittings and is 2m and can run a masthead even though we don't have one. A through-hull job was looking well over 2k but you can always DIY.

Hmm, the only 780 in my compound I don't know the owner of must be the Elliott? Is that your boat? From memory it looks like a fixed canting prod? With jumpers on the mast for mast head kites? Yea this guy isn't keen on going retractable because he doesn't want it in the way of weekending, fair enough..... So it will be on deck for sure. $600 for the prod seems ok to me, especially compared to what new sails for it would cost.

Yeah we're just running a fixed prod now, after playing around with a rotating setup. Had too many problems with it.

IMO the best bolt-on option for a boat that size would be one of those ball-socket joints.

I sailed on a 780 "slingshot" in the late 90's. pretty sure it was J length or longer when the owner retrofitted. I remember it retracting to at least the compression post if not further. We wrote the rig off within a few months from memory when someone forgot to put the backstay on.

I found this short description of the different Y 780's in here. http://www.yachting.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/151014-Australian-Trailable-Yacht-and-Sports-Boat-Rule.pdf

"

The following symbols may be associated with a CBH

and represent the following

Masthead spinnaker only MHS

Young 7.8 Timber hull, ¾ spinnaker

Young Rocket MK 1 Timber hull, MHS

Young Rocket MK 1 Glass hull, ¾ spinnaker, short keel

Young Rocket MK 2 Glass hull, MHS, short keel

Young 780 Rocket MK 3 Glass hull, MHS, longer keel"

Thanks for your help, deal done and Phantom is back on the Mainland getting ready for its first race!

Just have to work out how to sail it now!

post-125317-0-25977700-1473228787_thumb.jpg

Glad to see she'll be getting some use! Did you put her on the Spirit or use another service to get her to Melbourne - I'm keeping a loose eye on the trailer sailer market and would be interested to know what sort of cost I need to factor in for a one-way trip across Bass Strait.

Congratulations:)

Take heaps of food if you're going to sail across with the trailer strapped underneath! :D

SCANAS - I'm still not sure what the whole backstory was but it was for sale for a long time!

All@Sea - Came back on the Spirit. Return for 2 people, cabin & car and one way for the Trailer Sailer was $1550. $850 of that was just for the TS on the return journey.

I rang around and investigated getting a company to ship it over or putting it on the TOLL freighter, all were far more expensive.

Only problem with the Spirit is they only have so many bookings available for extra long vehicles, there were patches of the calendar where I wouldn't have been able to book for 4 or 5 weeks, even though there were bookings available for standard cars.

Thanks for doing the hard work for me Mick, I hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of her!

On 9/7/2016 at 3:44 PM, Mick22 said:

Thanks for your help, deal done and Phantom is back on the Mainland getting ready for its first race!

Just have to work out how to sail it now!

post-125317-0-25977700-1473228787_thumb.jpg

hey Mick22!! hows the rocket going? any updates youve done on rig, layout etc?

• Like 1

Sorry Blastfurnace hadn't been on here for a while!

Rocket is going great and very happy with it, we only get out half a dozen times a year but that was always the plan.....the boat far exceeds our capabilities so we are constantly learning with it.

Main changes since we got it have been bringing it back up to scratch and making it a lot more "trailable" as it had spent most of its life on the hardstand. We've got it from taking about 4 hours to set up with 3-4 people down to about 1.5 hours by myself.

Going to start working on making it work more for single and short handed sailing over summer. You do a bit of short handed on yours don't you? have you got an assy set up?

Cheers Mick

• Like 1

hi Mick22, yeah a bit of singlehanded, not with kite tho... could be interesting!! mine does have an assy setup. the previous previous owner Big Andy Sommerville fitted the retractable pole. its a tapered alloy tube, retracts offset on the left. as not to upset the adjustable forestay system. we have MH and 3/4 assy, both quantum from dave eickmeyer. we are one of the last built, but built to mk2 spec, short mast( 9.7 luff), short keel ( 1.8m). which works great for milang to goolwa races in SA.

in the 2nd photo, it shows the pole launch and tack line rope cleats on the centrecase, that is no longer the case ( no pun intended) we have run both those lines to the cabin top, on swivelling cleats

1.jpg

535844_499527506725911_2055087884_n (1).jpg

27709529_2046818888896223_8734024195643364245_o.jpg

BLASTFURNACE2.jpg