• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HookEm

Olympic Classes

136 posts in this topic

Since the lead story on SA had to do with proposed Olympic classes for 2020, I expected to see a thread. Not seeing one, here is my opinion. The idea that adding a hot boat like the 49er sounded good in theory. It would go fast and would be exciting to watch. But really, I can't seem to find coverage of Olympic sailing despite having cable and other subscriptions. It seems to me that adding the 49er did zero for viewership.

Now there are suggestions to drop the 470. Because the 470 is really just a grown up 420/FJ which is raced in colleges all over the country, I think it better represents real sailing. I'm not sure what the population of 49er sailors is, but I expect it is really small and not representative of anything and only the few who work to learn how to sail the beast have any chance of success.

But if the goal is something flashy, then add kiteboard as the new flashy class and drop the 49er.

I see it this way:

Laser and Radial - singlehanded class (most popular single handed class worldwide)

470 - double handed class (only representative of a "normal dingy class")

Nacra - catamaran class (good inclusion because they are fast and popular, maybe should be an offshore/beach event)

RSX - windsurfer class (that get a whole different type of sailor than the Laser and 470, and who wants to car top their board)

49er - hot experimental class that gets almost zero press. At least kiteboards get a lot of press.

There should be a 3+ person keelboat, maybe Viper, but lots to choose from.

If I were King, the events (and equipment) would look like this:

M & W Foiling Kites (not sure what the tour uses for equip rules... Box Rule?)

Open Singlehand Foiler (probably Waszp)

M & W Singlehanded Dinghy (Laser and Radial)

Mixed Doubles Dinghy (470)

M & W Doublehanded Skiff (49er and FX)

Mixed Doubles Multuihull (F-18 seems more sensible to me than Nacra 17)

Mixed Keelboat (J-22?)

I would go

Waszp (open)

F18 (open)

470 (M&F)

Finn (M)

Laser Radial (F)

J70 (keelboat Open)

49er/FX (skiff M&F)

Tom28/Elliot 6M (match racing M&F or Open)

Viper 640 (3 person sportboat)

I say drop sailing from the Olympics all together. Let the classes manage themselves without the influence of IOC rules. Nothing ruins a one design class like getting selected as an Olympic class. IMHO ;)

there are more active american 49er's than 470's..... depending when in the olympic cycle we are talking... Also the 470 has as much in common with collegiate 420's and FJ's as it does with 49er's. No traps, no kites, no adjustments, no finnesse, no custom boat setups, no on the fly adjustments, no rig adjustments, no planing (in less than 15 for the 420 or 45 for the fj).

Coverage of the 49er's will begin online when the 49er's start racing. It wont be on TV - just as olympic sailing has never been covered on american tv (in the last three quads at least). However, other countries have covered it and i enjoyed watching those feeds. The China medal race replay is epic, and the london live feed (through a proxy) was excellent - aside from all the Ainsley worshiping...

bring back the star already. get rid of the windsurfers ( why the fuck is that even in there in the first place?) . and add some sort of 3v3 team racing event.

First of all, drop the damn "medal races" and the pumping! This is sailing - not gambling or rowing. Then we can talk about classes. My suggestion would be something like...

Musto skiff

49er

Nacra

Star

J/70 (mixed crew maybe?)

I wouldn't add kiteboarding because it's more about fun and style than a regatta format. Same could be true for windsurfing, I dunno...

Beyond the ioc agenda there's one big issue for the Olympic sailing industry. What happens when your golden child grows to big for a laser? But for that it seems fairly straight forward. Mens and womens events for everything. Foiling is now eatablished in multihull, single handers and Kites.

So...

Board sailing..

Mens and womens windsurfer (access focused equipment, no reason to change from rs:x)

Mens and womens kite (performance focused equipment is foiling)

One design dinghy...

Mens and womens single handed (access focused equipment, something for a little lighter crew weight than present particularly for the women?)

Mens and womens heavy weight single handed (performance based equipment, so probably the finn right?? Door wide open for a foiling boat for the women)

Half and half access and performance so far. So with a target of 10 medals that leaves space for 1 more event.

Access focused...

Mens and womens 470

Performance focus...

Mens and womens skiff or

Mens and womens multihull

Or mix it up to cover both...

Mixed 470

Mixed multihull

Since the lead story on SA had to do with proposed Olympic classes for 2020, I expected to see a thread.

4c45c8_45ff3f0cebdb4d9ea0ee5da015a6b629.

Init. Always turns out to be a blocks compromise in the end what ever the logic.

Love your picture Dogwatch.

So many of these fanciful posts/threads have no idea whatsoever of the bigger picture, limits to number of competitors, targeted number equality of both gender, costs, showcase, representation of (dinghy) sailing overall, accessibility to emerging nations.

Just to give an idea of costs, and I know Beijing spent a lot but the Regatta in Qingdao cost over USD400m, in fact around US1m per competitor.

If sailing is going to continue to be an Olympic Sport, and I am not voicing views either way on this we need to make what we have more viewable before we start throwing the baby out with the bathwater by chopping and changing classes.

We need accurate reports coming out of the venue. For example the two daily reports so far from Rio have been incorrect.

Day 1 press release had Xu Li Jia CHN (Laser Radial) scoring a 3/4 when her actual score was 3/DSQ The full findings were on the sailing.org website. Day 2 showed Nick Dempsey GBR as 14th in Race 6 when he scored 1.8 RDG after applying for and getting redress.

All it would have taken was a quick couple of clicks and all the protests are listed there.

Also a bit disappointed in the so called live blog. I don't want it to seem like "anti-Scuttlebutt" rant as I don't know what Craig has to work with in Rio but the blog had very little on it that you couldn't find for yourself with a couple of clicks.

I almost feel I could have sat at home with a couple of monitors watching the tracker and given more insight.

This is the sort of thing we need to improve more (in my opinion) so that if any non sailor tunes in he OR she doesn't immediately tune out again thinking that's either boring or too complicated.

In many ways, (again, in my view) it doesn't matter about us keen sailors, our sport has already captured us and many of us can figure out what the heck is going on anyway but when I have people here in China just getting into the sport asking what happened or asking me to explain then it does concern me that we, as sailing, are missing a trick or two.

Anyway, just my opinion.

See ya on the water.

SS

The idea that adding a hot boat like the 49er sounded good in theory. It would go fast and would be exciting to watch. But really, I can't seem to find coverage of Olympic sailing despite having cable and other subscriptions. It seems to me that adding the 49er did zero for viewership.

Maybe the lack of TV coverage has more do do with how well (or badly) your sailors are doing, rather than the class they're racing? Here in the UK there is always plenty of coverage of the Olympic sailing - is this because we normally win a handful of medals in the sailing?

Loved the women's match racing back in London.

Should be a few fleet races to narrow it down to top 10 then knock out round robins.

Maybe the lack of TV coverage has more do do with how well (or badly) your sailors are doing, rather than the class they're racing? Here in the UK there is always plenty of coverage of the Olympic sailing - is this because we normally win a handful of medals in the sailing?

I'm not certain this is the moment to be crowing about GBR performance. Nick Dempsey gets a pass from that comment.

Don't get rid of the Finn! they need a dinghy that an normal sized adult can race competitively. All the other proposed dinghys and boards are only suitable for anorexics and dwarfs.

I was under the impression that being dropped from the Olympics was one of the best things that's happened to the star in a while? Boats got cheaper, the arms race to have the newest sails slowed, and the fleets grew no?

The Nacra's will be foiling in 2020, do we really need to add another foiling class? Its not like 1/5 of all sailors foil, so it doesn't really represent sailing, it just looks cool.

And if we do decide we do need another foiler, could we find a class that's interested? Most foilers are development classes with zero interest in being Olympic. Likely a new class will have to be created for the event which creates its own issues.

NACRA's are going to foil? They're pretty narrow for foiling, from my understanding.

I was under the impression that being dropped from the Olympics was one of the best things that's happened to the star in a while? Boats got cheaper, the arms race to have the newest sails slowed, and the fleets grew no?

Yes Yes and No. Several regattas in D2 (mid atlantic) were cancelled due to lack of participation. Bacardi Cup entries are hovering around 60-70, 5 years ago they were 80-90 and 7-10 years, 90-120 boats were the norm.

^^^well that just looks like sailing participation statistics across the board...

The idea that adding a hot boat like the 49er sounded good in theory. It would go fast and would be exciting to watch. But really, I can't seem to find coverage of Olympic sailing despite having cable and other subscriptions. It seems to me that adding the 49er did zero for viewership.

You are right Jackett, NBC's coverage is focused so exclusively on gold medal winners from the USA, there is pretty much zero coverage of anything else. They are so fixated on this that they are more likely to show Michael Phelps just sitting in a folding chair with his headphones on waiting for the next event than an actual event.

There was a swimming race last night where the guy in lane 7 got a bronze and there was zero mention of him afterward, or the silver medal winner, even though a swimmer in lane 7 winning a medal that is a rare occurrence as they would have the 6th fastest seed time with only lanes 1 and 8 being slower. We never did figure out who he was.

Don't get rid of the Finn! they need a dinghy that an normal sized adult can race competitively. All the other proposed dinghys and boards are only suitable for anorexics and dwarfs.

fucking knuckle dragger

van Rijsselberghe takes the gold outsider the camera's, he has a 21 punt leed over Dempsey so he don't need the medal race anymore

You are right Jackett, NBC's coverage is focused so exclusively on gold medal winners from the USA, there is pretty much zero coverage of anything else. They are so fixated on this that they are more likely to show Michael Phelps just sitting in a folding chair with his headphones on waiting for the next event than an actual event.

There was a swimming race last night where the guy in lane 7 got a bronze and there was zero mention of him afterward, or the silver medal winner, even though a swimmer in lane 7 winning a medal that is a rare occurrence as they would have the 6th fastest seed time with only lanes 1 and 8 being slower. We never did figure out who he was.

hell - in the US - for the first 5 days, there are only 3 events:

Womens gymnastics

Mens & womens swimming

synchronized diving

that's all that the big network played. Good lord it's embarrassing

to this OP - keep it at 10, or go 9 with a mixed mens/womens on the Multihull

Men and women's:

Kiteboards

Windsurfer

Lasers

Skiffs

Multis

done

fucking knuckle dragger

By and large I can agree with some of what you say Dawg, but at some point you're going too far. Just because somebody is the right size for a finn doesn't mean they are a "knuckle dragger". If a male is over 6' tall, getting to the top end of laser weight, you're going to be light for your height, by the time you hit 6'4" you're able to race a laser if you're built like a stick and keep yourself that way. And the other classes aren't much better with ideal weights generally lower than the laser (the 49er probably allows you to get a little heavier with the right skipper-crew balance). if you're over 6' tall with a build other than "slim" there's no olympic class for you to even look at other than the finn.

So, scrawney short kid, get your head out of your ass and accept that not everyone is a flyweight.

Found awesome full feed on demand on Xfinity via nbc app. However, no commentary at all. Was thinking, based on focus of which boats were being followed, that it must be New Zealand or GBR Coverage where NBC US only has right to visuals, but not audio. Visuals are stunning with telephoto lens making racing seem close and as if right off of waves breaking on rocks. Saw first two 49er races. Denmark was clear lead in first race and instead of rounding leeward gate and going to finish, KEPT SAILING. Had to take their asym down and sail back upwind to round the mark properly. Ended up 9th. How does that happen in that regatta???? For all of us who have ever mis-read sailing instructions (and if you say you have never done so, you are either lying, ride the rail, or don't race much,) it was a moment of seeing these sailors as human and reachable.

Watch more this morning.

Btw, USA is really not good in the 49er.

+1

The Olympics should be one design using venue/class provided boats. Make it about the athletes and never about the gear and sails. Just show up and sail. Have fewer classes with larger fleets. Allow for more than one athlete per country based on qualification.

+1

Oh, what was the class that went to hide from the waves and the big bad wind? Wasn't the Finn.

HTFU flyweights.

Star ;)

+

Checking for the average weight of males in the US I found this scary table:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf Scroll to the last page.

As of 2002 the average weight favored the Laser (183 lbs is smack on the average weight of medallists). The scary part is that in 40 years (1960-2000) the average weight increased by 30 lbs. If this trend continues, by the 2050 Olympics we are going to need a Finn MkII, for even bigger guys!

fucking knuckle dragger

By and large I can agree with some of what you say Dawg, but at some point you're going too far. Just because somebody is the right size for a finn doesn't mean they are a "knuckle dragger". If a male is over 6' tall, getting to the top end of laser weight, you're going to be light for your height, by the time you hit 6'4" you're able to race a laser if you're built like a stick and keep yourself that way. And the other classes aren't much better with ideal weights generally lower than the laser (the 49er probably allows you to get a little heavier with the right skipper-crew balance). if you're over 6' tall with a build other than "slim" there's no olympic class for you to even look at other than the finn.

So, scrawney short kid, get your head out of your ass and accept that not everyone is a flyweight.

This is why there should be weight classes, not only to increase participation but to make it fair.

Most men's sports require a big stature. Why does wrestling have weight classes? Because it would not be fair to have a 200lb'r go against a 120lb'r.

Why not have weight classes for sailing and put men and women together.

This mixed team is bullshit and breaking up the classes in to mens and womens is bullshit.

So stop with your bullshit.

USA now 15 seconds ahead of Brazil at second weather mark rounding.

The girls are showing great form and skill

USA Start to finish lead the way with a classic loose cover on the fleet.

Congrats

The last boat was 7:20 minutes behind.

This is a great start.

Congrats

This is a start.

This is a great start.

Congrats

This is a start.

Womens 49er FX the USA is in 11 overall though. It was nice watching the race.

+1

The standing Musto skiff champion is a healthy 95kg @ 180cm.

fucking knuckle dragger

You. You're okay.

fucking knuckle dragger

So when are we racing your 49er ? Between you and I think we're about optimal.... Aside from the fact that I suck

Bring back the FD! Such a pretty boat!

College sailing format is what is killing US Olympic ambition. In every other sport it is 100% applicable to and developing towards Olympics. In sailing, it isn't even close. How about some long-course college regattas in Olympic class boats instead of the current format?

College sailing format is what is killing US Olympic ambition.

Is it Euro or US Collegiate sailing that is killing the sport??

Or is is ISAF or World Sailing that is killing the sport???

One need only look at the Paralympics to see why Sailing in the Olympics is about to get it's head looped off.

Britain or GBR controls sailing and they are the ones that are responsible for sailing being removed from the Para Games.

The Olympics are next.

Look at history, everything Britain and Spain have touched are piles of shit, except the USA and Hong Kong.

Why?????????????????????? Because we want freedom.

PS: I feel bad for the Scottish and Irish, being so close to a bunch of greater than everyone else douche bags, too bad the Romans failed.

Is it Euro or US Collegiate sailing that is killing the sport??

Or is is ISAF or World Sailing that is killing the sport???

One need only look at the Paralympics to see why Sailing in the Olympics is about to get it's head looped off.

Britain or GBR controls sailing and they are the ones that are responsible for sailing being removed from the Para Games.

The Olympics are next.

Look at history, everything Britain and Spain have touched are piles of shit, except the USA and Hong Kong.

PS: I feel bad for the Scottish and Irish, being so close to a bunch of greater than everyone else douche bags, too bad the Romans failed.

I don't think I said it was killing the sport. It's actually fairly good single dimension for the sport and that format is reaching down into some limited high school programs as well. However, I do think the single-minded focus on that format is hurting US Olympic ambition. And yes, what is happening with the Paralympics sailing is an epic cluster-fuck.

To add to my prior comments, US College sailing format is so incredibly monotonous as to be damaging. Imagine getting into a club 420 at the age of 12 and knowing that for the next 9 - 10 years you will spend ridiculous amounts of time going around short courses in it or similar dinghys. So... Good single dimension. Now we need more dimensions.

fucking knuckle dragger

So when are we racing your 49er ? Between you and I think we're about optimal.... Aside from the fact that I suck

When I'm back on the continent where my boat lives. It'll be the most miss-matched 49er pairing one could come up with, and the only way somebody finn-size could think of racing a 49er with some chance of being on-weight for it.

Britain, Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, France, Germany, USSR, Japan, China among others and last but not least the good ole USA have ALL left piles of shit at multiple locations around the world in their time. It's what imperialist empire building countries do. They exert "influence" to support business interests. They may use words like freedom etc etc in the press but it is a little little naive to think that that is the real reason. We are no different... SE Asia, Middle east and numerous central american and caribbean countries to name a few. Suggest you use a source other than Fox news/CNN for your history lessons.

So the Nacra was meant to be a fast boat for the younger generation, but apparently if you're feeling young at 55, you've still got a chance. Team Argentina going pretty strong.

The problem is that there is no feeder for the current generation into the Nacra. College sailing didn't teach Louisa Chafee dick about advanced trim, sail changes, rig setup, or long race tactics and - no surprise - she's dragging Bora down with her.

The problem is that there is no feeder for the current generation into the Nacra. College sailing didn't teach Louisa Chafee dick about advanced trim, sail changes, rig setup, or long race tactics and - no surprise - she's dragging Bora down with her.

I think a problem with the boat did more damage than a few years of college sailing - which was her main foray into racing . After college she did a shitload of training which has brought them back into the top 10 after 2dns from boat trouble... So, Wes, give it a fucking rest. She is accomplishing more after college sailing by racing in the Olympics than you ever will. Being god's gift to rig tune and sail changes - and never having competed in a single regatta, i'm shocked you're not out there yourself showing everyone how it's done. Oh that's right, because you'd rather kvetch and moan about being too fat for college (or olympic) boats and demean anyone who did what they needed to do to get into ship to be able to compete.

Nothing stops college sailors from pursuing other sailing while they're in college. The major events do not take place during the college season.

edit: and the experience of college sailing (god i hope i dont jinx anyone) has not been hurting Annie/Bri or Paris/Helena.

Ok that was an exciting final in Laser. Good job mr Burton

Who do you expect to buy boats for the Colleges, when at any time a class could get cut or the sport from the Oly's??

No sponsors = no money. Thanks US Sailing, do you job and raise funds.

Fleet sails of high performance boats, even to relatively wealthy yacht clubs, are tough because there isn't anyone to maintain them.

Louisa Chafee is the least deserving person on the U.S Sailing Team to be at the Olympics, she has the least amount of experience of anyone on the squad and the other women vying for an Olympic Nacra spot. She just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and the trap line failure they were dealing with is just as much her fault and lack of experience as anyone else's. I carry two sets of dyneema traps, one set is ultra lightweight and the other a little beefier with chafe protection at the top of the rig, and I inspect these half way through any major event. If I was racing at the Olympic level full rigging inspection and replacements would be taking place after every day on the water. I would do the same in any high performance boat at any major event if I was in points contention, its basically common sense.

Fleet sails of high performance boats, even to relatively wealthy yacht clubs, are tough because there isn't anyone to maintain them.

Louisa Chafee is the least deserving person on the U.S Sailing Team to be at the Olympics, she has the least amount of experience of anyone on the squad and the other women vying for an Olympic Nacra spot. She just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and the trap line failure they were dealing with is just as much her fault and lack of experience as anyone else's. I carry two sets of dyneema traps, one set is ultra lightweight and the other a little beefier with chafe protection at the top of the rig, and I inspect these half way through any major event. If I was racing at the Olympic level full rigging inspection and replacements would be taking place after every day on the water. I would do the same in any high performance boat at any major event if I was in points contention, its basically common sense.

Yet she is in Rio and you are bitching on SA.

Most haven't seen the correlation between the dropping of the Star boat in the Olympics and the dropping of sailing from the Paralympic Games.

The Olympics pay for the structure and infrastructure as it is where the money comes from. There is no money to build anything from the revenue of the Paralympic Games.

When the deep water dock (relatively compared to centerboard boats) needed for the Star, the electric buried to get to the hoists, the foundation for the hoists, the hoists themselves, is quite an investment plus trailer and boat storage on a paved surface. Once that was no longer required in the Olympics, it wasn't around as a legacy for the Paralympics to use (all Paralympic boats are crane launched) that ended it for the Paralympics.

If you want Paralympic sailing back, you have to bring keelboat sailing back, period.

For every action, there is a reverse..................

Most haven't seen the correlation between the dropping of the Star boat in the Olympics and the dropping of sailing from the Paralympic Games.

The Olympics pay for the structure and infrastructure as it is where the money comes from. There is no money to build anything from the revenue of the Paralympic Games.

When the deep water dock (relatively compared to centerboard boats) needed for the Star, the electric buried to get to the hoists, the foundation for the hoists, the hoists themselves, is quite an investment plus trailer and boat storage on a paved surface. Once that was no longer required in the Olympics, it wasn't around as a legacy for the Paralympics to use (all Paralympic boats are crane launched) that ended it for the Paralympics.

If you want Paralympic sailing back, you have to bring keelboat sailing back, period.

It goes far beyond just keel boats. My bullet points

• The keel boats are far to expensive to ship. and there are too many classes. The 2.4mR and Skud are way to expensive to purchase for what you get, a boat that most classify as for the disabled.

• Too many support staff are needed to put the boats together make then ready for the event. Remember the able who support the disabled get paychecks.

• It's the same faces over and over at the top. I did a spreadsheet and found a disturbing pattern. Once you make a national team, outside the USA, you get so much support it is almost impossible to be removed.

• It takes too long to develop a program and get up to speed. I noticed that Matt Bugg from AUS has actually been sailing the 2.4mR for around 12 years and he finally is at the top. That is way too long. How much $$ did that cost AUS? Could it have been better spent?

• There is no feeder system except diseases and ambulances. Therefore we see the same people in the sport over and over and over.

• Not enough women?? Hell you are pulling from a small pool of sailors as it is. Now you want more women?? Fucking stupid. Where do you get disabled women that want to sail? Not enough women sail as it it.

• Colleges and schools won't touch Disabled Sailing, so many younger disabled don't even know about the sport. And when they find out how expensive it is, it's adios.

• Then there is the BS classification system. No one wants to talk about that. Heaven forbid we say "Sorry, you not disabled enough for disabled sailing" The different levels of classification should rate you as a crew or skipper. Where the more disabled become drivers only and the more able pull the lines.

• Get rid of all the boats currently used and set up a Melges 24 type sport boat that has a world wide class. 5 / 6 or so disabled racing the thing with either a full rig or maybe a slightly modified one. Lots of sail area and team work. A lifting keel boat can be Ramp launched with temp docks (if needed) in place for loading or use pontoon boats? You still need too many support staff for disabled sailing. But using a boat with a world wide reach you will be able to race locally when not disabled racing. and no, the sonar is not world wide, it is only for the disabled and it is a dog, besides not having a lifting keel and planning hull is a minus.

But we still come to the fact that we remove the wheelchairs and the sport of disabled sailing becomes a sport of the least disabled you can find. There have been less and less wheelchairs showing up at the Paralympic level sailing. Coaches recruit people who are barely disabled and that is where the sport has gone. One sailor was ranked 3rd in the world in the women's 470 at one point (a minor hand issue), another says he sails a Finn, another competitively races a Class 40 singlehanded. I don't know how you can attain those levels and want to race against disabled. Maybe they are the ones to be rated as Crew in the new system.

No matter how you look at it, Disabled Sailing at the Paralympic level is fucked up. The British control WS, Paraworld (whatever replaced IFDS) and the FB group "Reinstate Sailing in the Paralympics" and have banned me for my outspokenness. Status Quo..........yep, it's pretty fucked up.

Yet she is in Rio and you are bitching on SA.

funny how that works, isnt it?

Bora had his pick, and he chose Louisa - and she chose to stop racing with the skipper she was with at the time to race with Bora. If Bora thought she didnt have the skill, experience, or strength, they wouldnt be sailing together. And vice versa.

• The keel boats are far to expensive to ship. and there are too many classes. The 2.4mR and Skud are way to expensive to purchase for what you get, a boat that most classify as for the disabled.

• Too many support staff are needed to put the boats together make then ready for the event. Remember the able who support the disabled get paychecks.

• It's the same faces over and over at the top. I did a spreadsheet and found a disturbing pattern. Once you make a national team, outside the USA, you get so much support it is almost impossible to be removed.

• It takes too long to develop a program and get up to speed. I noticed that Matt Bugg from AUS has actually been sailing the 2.4mR for around 12 years and he finally is at the top. That is way too long. How much $$ did that cost AUS? Could it have been better spent?

• There is no feeder system except diseases and ambulances. Therefore we see the same people in the sport over and over and over.

• Not enough women?? Hell you are pulling from a small pool of sailors as it is. Now you want more women?? Fucking stupid. Where do you get disabled women that want to sail? Not enough women sail as it it.

• Colleges and schools won't touch Disabled Sailing, so many younger disabled don't even know about the sport. And when they find out how expensive it is, it's adios.

• Then there is the BS classification system. No one wants to talk about that. Heaven forbid we say "Sorry, you not disabled enough for disabled sailing" The different levels of classification should rate you as a crew or skipper. Where the more disabled become drivers only and the more able pull the lines.

• Get rid of all the boats currently used and set up a Melges 24 type sport boat that has a world wide class. 5 / 6 or so disabled racing the thing with either a full rig or maybe a slightly modified one. Lots of sail area and team work. A lifting keel boat can be Ramp launched with temp docks (if needed) in place for loading or use pontoon boats? You still need too many support staff for disabled sailing. But using a boat with a world wide reach you will be able to race locally when not disabled racing. and no, the sonar is not world wide, it is only for the disabled and it is a dog, besides not having a lifting keel and planning hull is a minus.

But we still come to the fact that we remove the wheelchairs and the sport of disabled sailing becomes a sport of the least disabled you can find. There have been less and less wheelchairs showing up at the Paralympic level sailing. Coaches recruit people who are barely disabled and that is where the sport has gone. One sailor was ranked 3rd in the world in the women's 470 at one point (a minor hand issue), another says he sails a Finn, another competitively races a Class 40 singlehanded. I don't know how you can attain those levels and want to race against disabled. Maybe they are the ones to be rated as Crew in the new system.

No matter how you look at it, Disabled Sailing at the Paralympic level is fucked up. The British control WS, Paraworld (whatever replaced IFDS) and the FB group "Reinstate Sailing in the Paralympics" and have banned me for my outspokenness. Status Quo..........yep, it's pretty fucked up.

As someone who has been on the para sailing development squad here in Oz, I can say you have hit the nail on the head in all those points.

The classification system is a joke as you said, I am just disabled enough (slight physical disability, mainly in legs) and only just rate disabled enough as I cannot lift my feet above 90 deg in relation to my legs at the ankle joint, yet a guy who last one foot at the ankle is not disabled enough!

The other issue is that I was born with my disability and apart from a bit of medical stuff I have never received one dollar from anyone for my disability. The people that are making it to the Olympic level tend to be those who have had accidents later in life and therefore got $$$ in compensation. As you said it's very expensive, $20k for a new 2.4m plus another $10k to get to a worlds. If you get in the top ten at that worlds you then get funding here in Oz but unless you have alot of coin behind you, sponsorship is non-existent, so getting funding costs you more than the funding is anyway.

I don't know what the answers are, just the issues are large!

As someone who has been on the para sailing development squad here in Oz, I can say you have hit the nail on the head in all those points.

The classification system is a joke as you said, I am just disabled enough (slight physical disability, mainly in legs) and only just rate disabled enough as I cannot lift my feet above 90 deg in relation to my legs at the ankle joint, yet a guy who last one foot at the ankle is not disabled enough!

The other issue is that I was born with my disability and apart from a bit of medical stuff I have never received one dollar from anyone for my disability. The people that are making it to the Olympic level tend to be those who have had accidents later in life and therefore got $$$ in compensation. As you said it's very expensive, $20k for a new 2.4m plus another $10k to get to a worlds. If you get in the top ten at that worlds you then get funding here in Oz but unless you have alot of coin behind you, sponsorship is non-existent, so getting funding costs you more than the funding is anyway.

I don't know what the answers are, just the issues are large!

Thanks Mazire, I have been doing the paralympic thing since 1999. When I got screwed by US Sailing, I realized then that disabled sailing had a problem, But I kept trying, only to spend my $$$$ on a pipe dream. Without a club to back you or a small personal fortune, nothing is possible.

But I still sail. take a look at my latest post, which is a fun sail on my boat.

Even though we are not in the Paralympics, I bet, I am having more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

What if Paralympics had powered winches or just drones/RC boats?

This is a real problem. For some reason, the powers to be think sailing must be a pure sport. But they want quadriplegics to sail without assistance.

What a bunch of stupid fucks. I wish I could take control and fix this cluster fuck circle jerk of able assholes.

[*]Get rid of all the boats currently used and set up a Melges 24 type sport boat that has a world wide class.

There are no keelboats that have a world wide class. They are all regional and pretty much first world only. The very few classes that are genuinely worldwide are all unballasted.

And how many of the current "worldwide" classes are such because they are Olympic classes or the standard stream boats for youth (ie 29er for 49er, 420 for 470)?

If there wasn't the games to aim at, I'm willing to bet that the regional distinctions between classes would become greater, you'd get clusters of boats, possibly even regionally designed. Of course, you'd always have the lasers of the world which are just everywhere and can't help being a worldwide class (also things like moths, and other "special" classes).

I carry two sets of dyneema traps, one set is ultra lightweight and the other a little beefier with chafe protection at the top of the rig,

yeah but you'll never go to the olympics

Foiling kite boards

Windsurfers

Lasers

Finns

Nacra cats

and 18 ft skiffs for the hairy chested all out bonkers telegenic boys and girls.

Foiling kite boards

Windsurfers

Lasers

Finns

Nacra cats

and 18 ft skiffs for the hairy chested all out bonkers telegenic boys and girls.

And the standard response to such a lineup is that it isn't representative of what the average sailor sails on (as if the cycling is on bikes like the average cyclist uses, or the canoeing is on a canoe like everyone uses on their family camping trip).

[*]Get rid of all the boats currently used and set up a Melges 24 type sport boat that has a world wide class.

There are no keelboats that have a world wide class. They are all regional and pretty much first world only. The very few classes that are genuinely worldwide are all unballasted.

Wrong. Star is world wide and the only physical and technical enough keelboat to deserve an Olympic status.

Are we at least happy about the Bronze in Finns??

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/San-Diego-Sailor-Caleb-Paine-Rio-Olympics-390337301.html

I am.

The Finn and I are the same age. All hail Rickard Sarby, and Caleb Paine!

That was an awesome race to watch. Kudos to Caleb.

Like every other Usanian on here who doesn't pay fuck all attention to Olympic sailing except for 2 years to bitch at why they don't sail boats that they sail at their sailing club, I will make my prognostications...

More coed sailing. Men's 470 & women's 470 --> 2/3 boat coed team sailing they could change the boat every quad because it doesn't really matter.

The creation of a mixed cat class has had a noticeable effect on the demographic across the board on high performance cat racing (f16, 18 etc). Making the 470 coed would only be a good thing.

Wrong. Star is world wide and the only physical and technical enough keelboat to deserve an Olympic status.

As long as you exclude the whole of Asia from your definition of worldwide.

As long as you exclude the whole of Asia from your definition of worldwide.

And Africa

The creation of a mixed cat class has had a noticeable effect on the demographic across the board on high performance cat racing (f16, 18 etc). Making the 470 coed would only be a good thing.

Given that the 470 guys are smallish anyway, how much performance difference is there between the mean and womens 470 ? What is rather than mixed it was open gender, any combo allowed ? Are the boys always faster ?

I still say have weight classes in different fleets and make the men and women sail against each other would be a good thing.

My formula to make it more exciting and better. Ditch all the boats and go with:

• 2 person mixed Foiling Cat, 3 different rigs for different wind ranges, Use weight Classes

• Single person mixed fleet, Foiling Moth, 3 different rigs for different wind ranges, Use weight Classes

• Aussie 18 OD hull, 3 different rigs for different wind ranges. This should also be a Mixed M/F team, 3 or 4 (it's up to the team, maybe 2 bigger 1 med and 1 smaller body types. Use a team weight limit. Pretty much an open class except the hull is OD
  • Allow advertising on sails.

Make'm fast and tough to control. Sailors can choose the rig they want based on the wind rage.

By having weight classes, you will get more participation because more will feel they have a chance.

and like the races in Sydney Harbor, they race long legs in a wide range of conditions.

The short Up and Down races really suck because non sailors get lost with all the zigzaging.

Bigger Fleets

Get'em Sailing.

Just dump all Olympic sailing and replace it with Roller Ball. Really no one gives a shit about watching sailboats race and tragically none of the boats catch fire and the sailors are not brawling getting the crap beat out of em. Roller Ball could replace all war in the world, its perfect. Then replace the marathon with The Purge: Anarchy, cleansing the weak and ill from society.

Following NBC's coverage format...

All Swimming (roller ball format)

then too much track (think flaming javelins)

with even more gymnastics

Tape it all and show it during prime time even though we all already know the outcome...thanks INTERNET!

Ryan Lochte will host from a gas station while drunk out of his mind.

So you see, this sailing bs just doesn't fit in guys. Soooo sorry.

Just dump all Olympic sailing and replace it with Roller Ball. Really no one gives a shit about watching sailboats race and tragically none of the boats catch fire and the sailors are not brawling getting the crap beat out of em. Roller Ball could replace all war in the world, its perfect. Then replace the marathon with The Purge: Anarchy, cleansing the weak and ill from society.

Tape it all and show it during prime time even though we all already know the outcome...thanks INTERNET!

You are wrong

I think distance or slalom racing could be cool for the faster boats, at least as an additional event. the Nacras and windsurfers do tack very poorly and additionally the windsurfers sail very strange angles, so it's very hard to follow them on the beat

You are wrong

No, I'm spot on. No one cares about sailing. That's the point, just deal with it and learn to express yourself without insult to a person you do not know.

What people miss in the noise is that its not about the gear, its about sailing skill. Next thing is choosing a class that already has wide appeal so that there is already a pool of talent and finally catering for individual and team events.

The olympics is already too overcrowded, too diluted and too expensive. It was originally a track and field thing and somehow it's become a financial behemoth that demands we bow down to it.

Simplify and sail.

It was originally a track and field thing and somehow it's become a financial behemoth that demands we bow down to it.

Bullshit, swimming, cycling and Tennis were all in the first modern olympics. There was a twenty year period where you could get a gold medal for painting or poetry.

What people miss in the noise is that its not about the gear, its about sailing skill. Next thing is choosing a class that already has wide appeal so that there is already a pool of talent and finally catering for individual and team events.

The olympics is already too overcrowded, too diluted and too expensive. It was originally a track and field thing and somehow it's become a financial behemoth that demands we bow down to it.

Simplify and sail.

Thanks to the TV, yes it is about $$$

It was originally a track and field thing and somehow it's become a financial behemoth that demands we bow down to it.

Bullshit, swimming, cycling and Tennis were all in the first modern olympics. There was a twenty year period where you could get a gold medal for painting or poetry.

The ancient olympics were a paramilitary competition.

The ancient olympics were a paramilitary competition.

Who gives a shit about the past. The future is all that matters.

Just look at the youth.

Part of this is a measure of how much you agree that the Olympics should be a youth movement. Boats like the Star, the late 5.5 Meter and Dragon gave at least the possibility of competitive veterans and we don't see enough of that. The Star Boat in particular rewards a lifetime of learning. We lost a lot when it was dropped.

Part of this is a measure of how much you agree that the Olympics should be a youth movement. Boats like the Star, the late 5.5 Meter and Dragon gave at least the possibility of competitive veterans and we don't see enough of that. The Star Boat in particular rewards a lifetime of learning. We lost a lot when it was dropped.

Did you not see the nacra 17 result?

Did you not see the nacra 17 result?

+1

some people would rather bitch than admit they are not, or never were, capable.

What are the big active classes world wide beyond the Laser? Opti, Sunfish? Here in the USA there is a small and old (really old) Finn class. Caleb to invest that much time and money into a medal win is truly amazing (hats off). The 470 class here is crazy small in Merica. Many more Star boats are still racing here but are they world wide? Foiling cats would be fun. Match racing is a must and the boat for that could be any small modern keel boat 3-up. Could careless about the board sailing, sorry.

Its just hard to get excited about any of this class talk when I think the IOC doesn't give a rat's ass about sailing. They want the money sports (tickets sold,TV ratings).

Any boat rewards a lifetime of learning.

Big, active classes in Europe would be... umm, Laser, Finn, 5O5, Star, Dragon, J/70, Folkboat, H-Boat ? ...Ok, forget it! You wouldn't want the Olympics to be sailed in Folkboats, would you?

Oh, and match racing is not a must. Match racing is an abomination.

I'd vote for J/70s. Even though I've never sailed one.

And while I'm not sure if match racing belongs in the Olympics, I would think team racing would be pretty cool.

If sailing wants to be relevant to the Olympics, it's going to have to come to grips with what the olympics is:

It's a TV event.

Run by professionals covering professionals.

If sailing wants to inspire folks to sail, what boats would best do that on TV? What type of race courses might be best on TV to inspire folks to sailing?

I fear it would be Windsurfers, Moths, or Multihulls on a slalom course: windward to the first mark, NO TACKING, then a slalom course reaching downwind to a sprint at the finish. You could run it on the rowing venue where TV equipment is already set up. As long as there's NO TACKING, you could have as many windward legs as you want. Augment the wind if needed with giant fans, so TV networks can easily and with certainty PROGRAM coverage. I suppose you could do any other class of boat IF it looked great on TV. And if fit into the rowing venue.

Maybe a 'marathon' sailing event that starts somewhere else, and ends during the Olympics at the Olympic site. Have cameras on board, etc. but the boats need to be big enough so the cameras don't look dorky. Volvo boats, Minis, or Open boats might work. Race from the last Olympic site to the new Olympic site. Create heroes!

This is cynical I know. But TV is a cynical business.

If sailing wants to be relevant to the Olympics, it's going to have to come to grips with what the olympics is:

It's a TV event.

Run by professionals covering professionals.

If sailing wants to inspire folks to sail, what boats would best do that on TV? What type of race courses might be best on TV to inspire folks to sailing?

I fear it would be Windsurfers, Moths, or Multihulls on a slalom course: windward to the first mark, NO TACKING, then a slalom course reaching downwind to a sprint at the finish. You could run it on the rowing venue where TV equipment is already set up. As long as there's NO TACKING, you could have as many windward legs as you want. Augment the wind if needed with giant fans, so TV networks can easily and with certainty PROGRAM coverage. I suppose you could do any other class of boat IF it looked great on TV. And if fit into the rowing venue.

Maybe a 'marathon' sailing event that starts somewhere else, and ends during the Olympics at the Olympic site. Have cameras on board, etc. but the boats need to be big enough so the cameras don't look dorky. Volvo boats, Minis, or Open boats might work. Race from the last Olympic site to the new Olympic site. Create heroes!

This is cynical I know. But TV is a cynical business.

You could also have a long distance race along a coast or around an island. Along the lines of the r2ak, maybe in one designs. Sail or paddle etc., no motors. Do it on a lake? Easier to cover laps. Be cool to see the boat trials.

How does this happen?

Or RC sailing, which by it's small nature would be much less expensive to cover, and have live interaction with the skippers.

Big, active classes in Europe would be... umm, Laser, Finn, 5O5, Star, Dragon, J/70, Folkboat, H-Boat ? ...Ok, forget it! You wouldn't want the Olympics to be sailed in Folkboats, would you?

Enlighten me. Where in Europe could the J/70 class be said to be "big"? 24 boats at Cowes Week is respectable but not "big".

You have to love this. Stick it on a big screen.

I tried but the best part was the water.

With the foils and kites, I could not tell, until watching it for a few, who was who.

The Venue is beautiful though.

new article in scuttbutt regarding olympics 2020. http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2016/08/28/event-decisions-tokyo-2020-games

Apparently we have to wait to Feb 2017 before any decisions will be taken.

From that article, can somebody clarify what they mean by: A new rules interpretation in the Finn drastically changed the hull.

new article in scuttbutt regarding olympics 2020. http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2016/08/28/event-decisions-tokyo-2020-games

Apparently we have to wait to Feb 2017 before any decisions will be taken.

From that article, can somebody clarify what they mean by: A new rules interpretation in the Finn drastically changed the hull.

this?

http://www.sailingworld.com/recharging-finn

The team analyzed the class rules to find all possible design options, and realized there was a larger margin for design than initially anticipated. Kouyoumdjian got to work, reducing the volume of the hull in the middle to create the straightest possible lines at the stern. “Refined 3D modeling was applied to achieve a low drag, minimum pitch Finn, resulting in less physical sailor input and, therefore, more reserve energy,” says Cobb.

Kouyoumdjian and Devoti took the 3D model and incorporated the necessary changes in the cockpit and deck to fit the new shape. The D-Fantastica was born.

“This is a step into the future, a step into new technology,” says Devoti. The history of Devoti is classic, hand-built boats, but the D-Fantastica is built using CNC tooling and molds for the most precise results.

“All D-Fantastica Finns are measured with optimum center of gravity, gyration and are to minimum weight as specified by the Finn Class rules,” says Cobb. “Every Devoti Fantastica Finn is different, in that they are built to the sailor’s preference and tailored to suit them as individuals.”