zks7

Are there any Martin 243's still in the US?

I located 1 in BC, 1 in Toronto, and 1 in SoCal. There were 14 made in total. Where are they located now and are they racing?

There is one at Jericho Sailing Centre that doesn't seem to do much of anything.

There is one at Jericho Sailing Centre that doesn't seem to do much of anything.

The "death machine" went out a few times. It has been given that name by the old guys racing it.

Check with the Portland OR folks. They might know. The one we had in our area is long gone.

anyone here sailed one? was considering the one in Toronto for an extra boat for fun.

OK, if the count is correct so far, out of 14 made:

1 in King Harbor (Gimme Shelter)

1 in San Diego (Chupacabra)

1 in St. Pete

1 in Jericho BC ("Death Machine")

1 in Guilford (# 5)

1 in Toronto (#1)

Any ideas on the location of other 8?

I thought there were more in BC?

there were a few in bc. rattle and hum was sold long ago. jazz may be the one still at jericho. dunno what graham ever did with it, other than not sail it a lot.

There was one at maple bay yacht club years ago, but it was sold. Not sure where it went

1 in St. Pete

1 in Guilford (# 5)

1 in Toronto (#1 Black Shadow)

1 in New Orleans (#12)

That leaves 7 whereabouts unknown.

Anymore out there?

1 in St. Pete

1 in Guilford (# 5)

1 in New Orleans (#12 Red Wing)

That leaves 7 whereabouts unknown.

Anymore out there?

I sailed one in the LI Fall series once, just one day. Breeze was about 15-20 for the first race, our fleet was a Mumm 30, a Melges 30, a couple Henderson 30's and I forget what else. We were bottom boat (rated 64, I think), up the first beat we were pretty much just a fast 23' boat against fast 30' boats so we were back a bit, as soon as we set the kite we caught up quick, rolled the Melges and Mumm on the first reach (triangle with finish to weather) and then rolled both Hendersons on the second reach, won the race boat for boat by about 1:30. Second race the puffs were gone and it was about 12-15, we were better up the beat but shrimped the kite at the set and were a distant last. Got one final puff that blew us by the Melges and the Hendersons, the Mumm tacked all over us on the beat to the finish and we were 2nd boat for boat but overall won both races easily. That was it for me, commitment on Sunday, the next day was light and they came in DFL both races, I don't think it ever raced again.

We have #5 GHOST in Guilford, CT. Picked up the boat in May and have been having A LOT of fun figuring her out, and upgrading systems.

We rate 69.

Our first race was in 16-18kts of wind and were racing against a pair of J109's. We held with them much better than I had expected upwind. They were a minute or so ahead at the windward mark. Downwind we were casually cruising at 14-16kts BS, topping out at 18kts. Could barely see the 109's at the leeward mark! The boat generally sails/handles way better than we had guessed with it's pretty radical design.

With the boom pulled to the side and the wings extended, the boat has the biggest dancefloor of any 24ft boat I've ever seen...

Just took delivery of some new sails, so the boat now looks like a proper racer under sail. Hoping to do some regattas in the future...maybe Charleston...

Thanks for the information about saying it. It does look radical and it would be great to talk more. Can you IM me please? I am picking one up in a couple of days and would appreciate skipping the big steps in learning the boat.

The current known disposition of boats is (still missing 7 boats):

1 in St. Pete

1 in Guilford (# 5 Ghost)

Any more known?

Rattle n Hum was traded in on a new 242 when they were building them a while back, so it went to California AFAIK. That would make two in CA as I'm pretty sure Chupacabra was already there.

Jazz is the "death machine" in Vancouver at Jericho, Graham might even be the original owner still? He did tow it down for the Ditch Run more than once in recent years, and it raced at SOAR. Pretty sure it is the only one here.

Ghost was one of the last 3 or 4 boats in Vancouver and has been gone for many years now.

this is the last one I saw For Sale not that long ago if memory is any good Free Woody

1998-martin-243--2.jpg1998-martin-243--1.jpg

We have #5 GHOST in Guilford, CT. Picked up the boat in May and have been having A LOT of fun figuring her out, and upgrading systems.

Did you buy the one in Toronto area?

We rate 69.

Our first race was in 16-18kts of wind and were racing against a pair of J109's. We held with them much better than I had expected upwind. They were a minute or so ahead at the windward mark. Downwind we were casually cruising at 14-16kts BS, topping out at 18kts. Could barely see the 109's at the leeward mark! The boat generally sails/handles way better than we had guessed with it's pretty radical design.

With the boom pulled to the side and the wings extended, the boat has the biggest dancefloor of any 24ft boat I've ever seen...

Just took delivery of some new sails, so the boat now looks like a proper racer under sail. Hoping to do some regattas in the future...maybe Charleston...

Did you buy the one in Toronto area?

We rate 69.

The one in Toronto is/was in Whitby. It was still at Whitby Yacht Club at the end of July.

1 in St. Pete

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in Toronto (#1 Black Shadow) Now moved to SF

Was told there were 17 boats built? Is that correct?

Does anyone have any Loos gauge numbers on the uppers, lowers, or other tension numbers?

Do you run different tension numbers for light medium and heavy air? And what are they?

more evolution to them. This boat is pretty primitive in its controls and blades. There has to be a lot of detail work that was done to make these more user friendly. I took this boat to SF and went out on a reasonably quiet summer SF day (12-16 knots, gusts to 20) and all kinds of things were failing. The mainsheet bridle pins were bent beyond saving, boom vang was inoperable, mainsheet cleat was slipping, tack line failed, two snap shackles let go, the bridle at 1:1 was not functional. I have some questions about the rudder, configuration, shape, and length.

Maybe there is a way we can form a group and trade information back and forth? I am really curious about the rig tensions, as just a place to start.

8 identified so far.

1 in St. Pete

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in Toronto (#1 Black Shadow) Now moved to SF

1 in Connecticut (#18 Banshee) in the Forte Spars lot missing mast or boom

Looks like there were at least 18 built?

If you are an owner and want to work some communications we could start a users group and pass names and numbers around. So far we are in touch with Ghost and Gimme Shelter.

1 in St. Pete

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in SF (#1 Black Shadow)

1 in Marblehead

8 boats located

Thank you! Nice to hear where they are located.

2 in St. Pete

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in Marblehead

9 boats located so far out of 17

Do you have a number for the Mass. boat or a name?

At the moment no. I'll see if I can find it.

The Marblehead was Ghost #5

Hey USA389, is there a good contact number I can reach you at in order to talk about your boat and how you've set it up, rigged it, and are sailing it? You seem like a knowledgeable guy with a lot of patience and heaps of time to devote to chatting about the boat with other people.

2 in St. Pete (Free Woody #6)

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in Marblehead (#18 Banshee)

1 in Washington (#9)

10 boats located so far out of 18

If any one is looking to compile Martin 243 data, please contact me. I am trying to put together a list of owners and share experiences between us.

Is there a boat for sale?

There are several boats for sale. If you PM me I will let you know what we have found?

...I remember seeing a 'fleet' of 4 to 6 at the kelowna regatta,,, wayyyy back when they were a new production. :mellow:

Has any M243 owners worked on upgrading their wing/tramp attachments/hard points?

Has any M243 owners worked on upgrading their wing/tramp attachments/hard points?

We did a set of carbon boards for a Florida boat 2 or 3 years ago. Probably still have the tooling kicking around somewhere...MAR243_SB-gallery-3.jpg

Phil

There's one in St. Petersburg FL

It's still actively raced in PHRF.

#12 in New Orleans checking in! Thrilled to see activity on the forum for this awesome boat! Would love to compare notes on rig tune and set ups. The boats name is "This side up" and have been racing locally with varying degrees of success over the last two years. Cheers and happy new year!

#12 in New Orleans checking in! Thrilled to see activity on the forum for this awesome boat! Would love to compare notes on rig tune and set ups. The boats name is "This side up" and have been racing locally with varying degrees of success over the last two years. Cheers and happy new year!

Hi, We have a nice google doc setup with tuning pics and measurement numbers. Happy to share with you so you can add/compare your notes. Please PM me your email. Cheers

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in Washington (#9)

If any one is looking to compile Martin 243 data, please contact me. I am trying to put together a list of owners and share experiences between us.

Hi I have been following your thread too, as I am a fan of the Martin designs. There is a 242 and a 32 in our club.

I looked in our local phrf listings,SOAR races and local race links, but found little. PHRF/bc_fleet_list_printable_by_boatName.php

The PHRF BC website would not open for me to check further. phrf.bc.ca

I listed the hull numbers in order here, with any local race data I found.

1 Black Shadow, S.F. J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

2 ?? 49215, Broos locked in BC PHRF site, 2006 TCYC race, English Bay, Vancouver

4 All Martin crew -Medford,Oregon Race, Don, Heather, Eric, Paul

5 Ghost- Marble Head Guildford -former Teesa?? skipper Ian Fraser,in the Medford race, and S. Farthing as P.O.,

6 Free Woody-2nd St Pete 2011 sale Bosun's Y Sales

9 Jazz, Washington former Vancouver with pink spin

11 Tic Tack 2013 St Pete M. Siedlecki SPYC SPCA

12 This Side Up-New Orleans former Red Wing, former Nice Rack, P.Wood, NOYC

14 Sail no 14 2007 LISTING-1999 sale boat reg TX2879KW

18 Banshee, Marblehead Yellow Reacher on Sprit ?? Sail no.18 on a 2005 Alamy photo Davo Blair contributor

Gimme Shelter, raced by Vitty and Hanna, King Harbor, Queen Mary Regatta

Chupacabra sail no 87865, J. Sammarcelli, 1998 model, blue chute, Stockton Missouri sale in 2009

Mystery Boat 1 owner or photographer Armando Tura, Jericho, Vancouver

2 RattlenHum to Cali as noted above

Good luck, hope this helps with any clue and keep us updated.

One just showed up in Boston, I think it was in Florida before. I will see if I can find the sail number info and get it to you.

One just showed up in Boston, I think it was in Florida before. I will see if I can find the sail number info and get it to you.

AFAIK TacTic is still in St Pete and not for sale. If I hear otherwise I'll post the info.

Awesome thanks, if you can send the owner my way that would be great!

Awesome thanks, if you can send the owner my way that would be great!

it's Black Shadow. Now in Boston. hit me on messenger with your contact info and I'll get you in touch with the new owner.

If anyone is still looking for a martin 243, I have one in St. Pete.  The boat itself is pretty much ready to go racing, the mast needs to be repainted and cleaned up a bit.  So if you have any interest please let me know. 

With my boat we have 3 in St. Pete. 

Looking for a Martin 243...

Let me know the boat details please?

• zks7
  • Members
  • 338 posts

3 in St. Pete (Free Woody #6)(Cakewalk #8?)

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in CT/NY (#1 Black Shadow)

1 in Washington (#9)

1 in Texas (#14)

On 10/20/2016 at 6:57 PM, USA777 said: 

1 in Jericho BC (Jazz)

1 in Washington (#9)

Alos compiled fromanotehr.

2 ?? 49215, Broos locked in BC PHRF site, 2006 TCYC race, English Bay, Vancouver

5 Ghost- Marble Head Guildford -former Teesa?? skipper Ian Fraser,in the Medford race, and S. Farthing as P.O.,

18 Banshee, Marblehead Yellow Reacher on Sprit ?? Sail no.18 on a 2005 Alamy photo Davo Blair contributor

1 Black Shadow,  NY, ex S.F. J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

2 ?? 49215, Broos looked in BC PHRF site, 2006 TCYC race, English Bay, Vancouver

4 Cakewalk 8 St Pete, ex All Martin 

5 Pigs with no Purpose - ex Ghost- Marble Head Guildford -former Teesa?? skipper Ian Fraser,in the Medford race, and S. Farthing as P.O.,

Any updates?

Cakewalk #8 is in St. Petersburg.  Been sitting and about to get sent to the landfill and sold for scrap.

Boats listed - any updates?

5 Pigs with no Purpose - was Ghost- Marble Head Guildford -former Teesa?? skipper Ian Fraser,in the Medford race, and S. Farthing as P.O.,

8 Cakewalk, St. Petersburg, Fl.

9 Nice Rack SF, ex Jazz, Vancouver with pink spin

12 This Side Up-New Orleans former Red Wing, 

14 Sail no 14 2007 LISTING-1999 boat reg TX2879KW

18 Banshee, Marblehead Yellow Reacher on Sprit ?? Sail no.18 

...^^...#4,,, musta been a loooong time since Don was on one of these,no?

Which one is yours?      I wonder where the others got to?

I have #9. Bought it from the original owner (of 20 years). It needs a lot of help. Former owner really forgot to maintain it. Hull, blades, spars, racks are really in good shape. All of the details are in bad shape: racks, Delrins, tack/forestay appliance, all the running rigging, and the trailer (believe it or not).

It will be a while before we get out in any kind of winds. Maybe a year before we debug the systems (optimist)?

Tempting. 

Throw $10k at sails and 5k into the boat and you've got yourself a great boat. 

With two other nice M243's in St. Pete I think this will be pretty enticing for somebody down there. 

$10K for 4 sails: Main. jib, reacher, A/P? Where do you shop?

As many M243 Boats listed as we know - any updates?

1 Black Shadow, ex now back east, ex S.F. Z Kirueshkin, J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

5 Pigs with no Purpose - was Ghost- Marble Head Guildford -former Teesa?? skipper Ian Fraser,in the Medford race, and S. Farthing as P.O.,

On 7/19/2018 at 2:15 PM, zks7 said:

$10K for 4 sails: Main. jib, reacher, A/P? Where do you shop?

As many M243 Boats listed as we know - any updates?

1 Black Shadow, ex now back east, ex S.F. Z Kirueshkin, J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

I didn't say new sails... and I didn't say 3Di... ;)

You are correct. Used sails - of course. It is not easy finding used sails. If you know of any, please forward me the numbers in a PM?

We have one in Houston,  I believe there are 3 in St. Pete now.

In that list above, is boat 1 also sail number 1? If so it's in boston, was three legged dog and is now called Danger Pony.

Martin 1 was called Black Shadow when I brought her to SF. She was the only one with an aluminum mast and a pipe structure to the rudder gudgeons. Then sold to another in the east coast ( three legged dog?). Looks like he sold and she is now called "Danger Pony".

We currently own CAN 9 in SF Bay (Nice Rack)_.

What are the names of the 3 in St. Pete, and 1 in Houston?

Fill in what you can please? Like to keep track of where they went/are.

1 Danger Pony  (Boston) , ex three legged pony (NY?), ex Black Shadow  (S.F.), Z Kirueshkin, J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

9 Nice Rack SF, ex Jazz (Vancouver) with pink spin

Found the 3rd M243 in St. Pete = #4 Pigs with no Purpose:

1 Danger Pony  (Boston) , ex three legged pony (NY?), ex Black Shadow  (S.F.), Z Kirueshkin, J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

5 Pigs with no Purpose St. Pete - was Ghost- Marble Head Guildford -former Teesa?? skipper Ian Fraser,in the Medford race, and S. Farthing as P.O.,

zks7, three legged pony was also Boston.

added the correction, thanks.

1 Danger Pony  (Boston) , ex three legged pony (Boston), ex Black Shadow  (S.F.), Z Kirueshkin, J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

5 Pigs with no Purpose St. Pete - was Ghost- Marble Head Guildford -former Teesa?? skipper Ian Fraser,in the Medford race, and S. Farthing as P.O.,

Added the correction, thanks.

Last known/reported locations and owners:

1 Danger Pony  (Boston) , ex three legged pony (Boston), ex Black Shadow  (S.F.), Z Kirueshkin, J.Dike, also J. Scur, Whitby YC

4 All Martin crew -last heard of in Medford,Oregon Race, Don, Heather, Eric, Paul

8 Cakewalk, Texas, ex- St. Petersburg, Fl.

9 Nice Rack SF, ex Jazz (Vancouver) 

15 Gimme Shelter - St. Pete Florida, (ex SoCal). New owner same as Pigs with no Purpose.

Any idea about the location of any of the other Martin 243's or corrections?

If Banshee is in Marblehead, I've never seen it and it's never had a valid PHRF or ORR-ez cert. Doesn't mean it's not there, just never seen it out sailing. 

Not sure how we got this information. Thanks. Maybe someone will post the whereabouts of Banshee?