• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Doug Lord

Steve and Dave Clarks Unidentified Foiling Object

956 posts in this topic

Looking forward to pictures and video!!!

post-738-0-70909200-1472078350_thumb.jpg

Wild speculation may now commence.

But a few details.

Weight is 52 Kg.

8 and change meters of sail.

Two T foils, wand on main foil.

Foils retract between the hulls for upright launch and recovery.

Floats upright at the dock.

Closer to the Laser price point than the Waszp price point.

Nifty little project which should have commercial legs'

Focus has been on ease of use and handling, not a demonstration of a unique foil configuration. Plenty of original thinking and some unique solutions to achieve performance and cost goals.

Check us out in Newport and go for a sail.

SHC

attachicon.gifArea52 1 mid size.jpg

Focus has been on ease of use and handling, not a demonstration of a unique foil configuration. Plenty of original thinking and some unique solutions to achieve performance and cost goals.

SHC

Great idea! I wish you guys good luck.......

That's a nifty rig,

is it designed to bend the mast with outhaul/boom tension?

Is that an up-fucker at the front to control leech tension?

Better picture:

2lctrit.jpg

The boom/spreader/mast geomtry is brilliant! Congrats and can't wait to see more. This could be the mythical 'peoples foiler'. The hull reminds me of a Hobie MonoMulti 12'er that they built for a while. Could it be the donor hull for this boat?

IMAG0639.jpg

Monocat was the name

MonoCat3a500.jpg

ah ok - so if the wishbones go to spreader tips.. how do you control leech tension?

and Doug - you reposted the same picture in a smaller format. Don't be a dumbass.

But a few details.

Weight is 52 Kg.

SHC

Very interesting.

Will you guys be at the Annapolis show? Certainly a must see!

With the right wing mast section then boom tension is set when fitted, fat top geometry would mean a squeeze on the main would help any out of the ordinary power for low mode, med to high would be auto via mast bend & batten stifnress .

I've read this "sentence" a dozen times & still can't decipher it. Can someone please translate it?

H

With the right wing mast section then boom tension is set when fitted, fat top geometry would mean a squeeze on the main would help any out of the ordinary power for low mode, med to high would be auto via mast bend & batten stifnress .

I've read this "sentence" a dozen times & still can't decipher it. Can someone please translate it?

Yea, I think the Texas dude was just waking up when that was typed. Can't even rearrange the words to find logic in that!

I was more interested to learn how much I needed to diet from that picture. I am guessing 12 knots of breeze, at 110 true, and a skipper weighing in at 165 lbs.

Well I guess the secret's out. Here's a little teaser for you all.
To answer a couple questions, the two primary testers have been me: 156lbs and Dad: 235lbs. Works for both of us. Power and lift make a lot of old constraints irrelevant.
Leech tension is done with a snotter at the clew. Also dad made a typo. It's just under 8 quare meters of sail area.

DRC

To answer a couple questions, the two primary testers have been me: 156lbs and Dad: 235lbs. Works for both of us. Power and lift make a lot of old constraints irrelevant.

Leech tension is done with a snotter at the clew. Also dad made a typo. It's just under 8 quare meters of sail area.

DRC

That is pretty cool (boat) and innovative (rig design). So in that last one we seem (?) to have 156 lbs you (sorry to have added 9 lbs in my earlier post, LOL) foiling nice and stable in what looks like maybe a 13-15 knot puff, sailing at about 100 true?

Right near the end it was interesting to see the mainsheet angle sheeting arrangement. I am guessing rigging the wishbone boom like that to the spreaders and having the sheeting block forward of the end of the boom means that as you sheet, the mast is bent and the sail flattened without having too really tighten the leech?

Look forward to seeing more.

DRC

Dave, how light a wind will the boat fly with ,say, 190lb crew? She looks great!

i'm in, where do I send the deposit....

seriously, where do I send the deposit?

PM me. Batch 1 is literally being produced right now. I'm overseeing a hull deck bond job at 9am tomorrow.

DRC

ah ok - so if the wishbones go to spreader tips.. how do you control leech tension?

With the right wing mast section then boom tension is set when fitted, fat top geometry would mean a squeeze on the main would help any out of the ordinary power for low mode, med to high would be auto via mast bend & batten stifnress . Being a foiler you need to keep main flat n fast with leech by design rather than user tweaked so much, my guess.

EDIT: Obvs the boom angle does not allow leech rise with freed sheet as much as a horizontal boom ( hopefully you already know that)

cheers -- make sense.. automagic is good.

low mode - you have sheet to play with, so can adjust.

high mode -- you're fully sheeted in, and rely on mast tip bend and fat top layoff.

PM me. Batch 1 is literally being produced right now. I'm overseeing a hull deck bond job at 9am tomorrow.

DRC

sent

Is it no wonder that Steve and Dave kept this secret for so long. Some of you guys do ask some stupid questions.

This family has an impeccable record in sailboat innovation, design, construction and manufacture, so if they are ready to show the world they have a lot of things well sorted. Trust them. They have done the fun bit, the tough bit comes next.

But it's only just going into some sort of limited production and it looks like there is only one sample sailing so far. The boat is far from fully tuned and sorted. No one knows yet how it will go with different winds or different waves, especially compared to anything else let alone with different size people. We may get the answers once they sell enough to people who actually want to race them, and who spend the time to work out how to get the most from them.

It looks like a nice simple option to get people flying, I doubt it's going to be a world beating performance foiler, but Steve has posted already that ease of use was his priority.

Hats off to them creating something for an apparent market for a simple fun foiler. Wish them luck with the marketing and answering all the other stupid questions.

If I want pure speed foiling, why wouldn't I get a foiling kite?

Why spend Uber $s on a moth, etc?

This looks like I could give it a go, and turn the keys over to my kids for a spin.

See you in Newport, if I can get half way round the world to be there it can't be too hard can it?

Having a planned business trip does help a little.......

When the Clarks says a product is ready for release/production, I'm going to take their word for it. I look forward to photos and videos, but especially reports. In particular I'm curious how it'll cope with an average dinghy sailor bloke who has minimal "high performance" background, and on the experiences from a current adept moth sailor to hear how it compares to the standard in foiling. If we hear from some high performance dingy and skiff sailors, that's bonus, and in Newport I'm sure there's no shortage of keelboat sailors to give it a try.

Hopefully we don't find out how fragile it is.

Also dad made a typo. It's just under 8 quare meters of sail area.

DRC

Ahhh, dad's typos again!

You are using the old quare meter rule. Glad you quared that one away.

whats it rate?

Looks like at least a 9.5 depending on the Russian judge score

Looks great DRC,SHC, might need one also!

whats it rate?

Looks like at least a 9.5 depending on the Russian judge score

From 100 yards off the beach to 100 yards from the beach i suspect it may be no easier to sail and own than a Moth. However the rest is a very big deal indeed.

The big things i see are way easier launching and rigging, and far less risk of handling damage to the foils. That's huge.

But i shall look on the rig with great interest. The obvious aim is to permit deck end plate at the luff coupled with a way of managing leech tension that doesn't involve the current insane loads. It seems very feasible that the gains from the deck sweeping will way more than outweigh drag losses from the 'wishbone' spars. It gives me an idea...

Jim.

The Clarks have said the boat is aimed at being easy to use. Its obviously way ahead of the Moth, Wazsp, or any of the foing cats in this aspect and with regard to simplicity of rig and launching. To do this there are compromises. It has a lot of windage, the rig looks to be very full and twisted compared to what makes a moth go fast, but that might make it easier to take off, even if it limits upwind ability and top speed. The righting moment is limited by moderate beam, again limiting speed. Its not going to be a fast foiler, it's going to be an easy foiler. That's their target market. If it gets more US sailors thinking fast it's got to be a good thing.

But a few details.

Weight is 52 Kg.

SHC

Rule 101 in marketing: Start your own thread: Control the vibe: :)

Best wishes and success for a peoples foiler at an affordable pricepoint.

Only if you BUY AN AD

This looks great!!

... ... ...

Only if you BUY AN AD

Go dry up. They didn't start this thread and so far, they're not trying to sell anything.

DRC

I'm in. That looks incredible.

FB- Doug

, the rig looks to be very full and twisted compared to what makes a moth go fast,

I suspect that's the sort of thing development will sort out.

Only if you BUY AN AD

When you've contributed one tenth of one percent of what the Clarks have to making this place worth visiting you can criticise. Until then shut the **** up.

Only if you BUY AN AD

When you've contributed one tenth of one percent of what the Clarks have to making this place worth visiting you can criticise. Until then shut the **** up.

Agreed.

Agreed +100 on the Clarks' contribution!

Upper wind and wave range?

Assume no spectacular wipe outs like a pitch poling moth?

How easy is it to right the boat after a capsize?

Foils nicely.

By playing with the wand extension, you can control how exciting it gets.

I have no idea how much wind the boat can take, we have been in over our heads before the boat stopped working.

Platform is the smallest thing I could design that kept you upright and stable before and in between flights.

At about 250, clearance under the bridge deck gets to be a problem, and the really heavy are going to have an extra portion of sucks until the foils can get you a few inches of freeboard to clear wave tops.

The spreaders are attached to the booms. Mast rotates to follow the booms . The jumper wires themselves have a block and tackle on them, so you can control mast bend by altering the tension. As this is directly opposed to the thrust of the booms, when you straighten the mast, you also tighten the leech. Leech tension and foot tension are interlinked like on any sprit/wish boom sail, and you tune with down haul and out haul just as you would a sailboard rig. Mast is really bendy and the sail has a ton of luff round, so there is quite a bit of range in the tuning. Sail is VERY similar to a Moth cut.

I suppose I should say something about this Moth thing. I like Moths, I have thought about designing and building a faster Moth. I have thought about designing other boats as well. This design is not a Moth and I really haven't given a moments thought about how the performance of the two might compare. The Moth is built to a much higher specification, makes no compromise for cost or ease of handling. Performance is the only goal. The Moth class has its own justification for existing and has evolved into a very specialized class with it's own rewards for excellence. This does not mean that ALL other small boats, foiling or otherwise, have to compare themselves to the Moth class. There is room ( I would almost say need) for other small foilers with different characteristics that may apeal to a different cadre of sailors. To that end, I have borrowed freely from what the Moths have developed, and strenuously avoided what I consider undesirable or unnecessary difficulties and chacteristics. The result, I hope the market finds, is a very satisfactory little sailboat.

We will be giving a full presentation at Foiling Week, come if you can.

SHC.

Please record and post the presentation. Thanks!

Oops, forgot Americans are incapable of speaking in jest

You don't know me very well.

SHC

SHC

Your disciples, then.

Just keep digging. The hole gets deeper and deeper.

SHC

Ignore the trolls Steve.

Wish I could be in Newport but can't. Would love to see/hear more about the boat. Hope you keep posting updates.

SHC

Very funny indeed

SHC

Your disciples, then.

You're so far out of your depth on this one, it's probably a good idea to just shut up, before you confirm to all what you are....

No one's allowed to make SA jokes any more, I thought this was Anarchy? I wasn't actually telling anyone to buy an ad.

9nohQh4.jpg

Anyway, can it foil upwind? The sail looks big enough, but is there enough RM?

No one's allowed to make SA jokes any more, I thought this was Anarchy? I wasn't actually telling anyone to buy an ad.

9nohQh4.jpg

You have to be concerned when you are the only one laughing. Just because you thought it was a joke doesn't mean that everybody else thought it was one. There was zero in your post to suggest there was anything funny, sarcastic or otherwise about what you were writing. At the moment you are like a comedian who got no laughs, then explains the joke, people still don't get it so the comedian tells them they don't understand humour.

Very innovative approach. I had been thinking about some of the pieces of the UFO concept, but Steve took it much farther and made it a reality. Can't wait to see it Newport.

Steve, from what you are seeing, do you think the concept has potential for many catamarans?

Is nobody going to compare it to the S9?? To me they are pointing to the same target

I'll have a go. The S9 appears much more technical and complicated than the UFO. The rig is more sophisticated, and with a trapeze it would likely be more difficult to sail. It really looks more like a training boat for A-Class cats. Also, at $18,000 (in Europe) the price point is more than double the UFO.

S9 versus UFO - I think you could say that in concept Steve and David's boat is more like an extreme tunnel hulled scow than a catamaran, so really utterly different craft..

The extraordinarily long gestation of foil boats (the idea dates back to the 50s, it was reasonably often attempted in the 60s) is probably as much as anything down to carbon fibre being a required material, but I think for a long time configurations were wrong.

Initial foilers were all 3 point craft with bruce foils, like power hydrofoils. This was quite wrong, because it was surface piercing and required brute power. Next the experimentalists were seduced by the trimaran sit in the middle concept, and in particular by the possibilities of holding down the windward hull with the foil. The T foil was in the event a critical development, but this configuration was a blind alley - eg Hobie Trifoiler.

Moth experiments started with 3 point concepts, but never really worked well enough, but the big jump was when the Moth class banned the 3 point boats (well, confirmed that really the rules already banned them) and it turned out the two T foils on the centreline is, thus far at least, the right configuration for a monohull.

T foils were tried on cats, but didn't seem to be that great. What seems to be working for multihulls is the heavily curved and shaped highly asymettric foil, and sailing the boat like a proper multihull - ie windward hull and foils clear of the water. So there, so far, we have what seems to be the right configuration for a catamaran foiler, and its utterly different from the monohull. I suspect there may be a way to go there though.

Now the other thing we can see is that all the hopeful wider market monohull foilers so far have stumbled, and I think the reason has been that they were ether half ass conversions, or else just second rate Moths, and if you're going to have a second rate Moth then a secondhand real Moth is better. So maybe no-one has yet come up with the right configuration for a wider market monohull foiler. This seems to me the first considered attempt at something that is neither a half ass conversion nor a second rate Moth, but a fresh look at the problem saying, "right, what is the correct configuration to put above centre line T foils". Is it right? Time will tell, but there's clearly a lot of smart thinking gone on.

Moth experiments started with 3 point concepts, but never really worked well enough, but the big jump was when the Moth class banned the 3 point boats (well, confirmed that really the rules already banned them) and it turned out the two T foils on the centreline is, thus far at least, the right configuration for a monohull.

Now the other thing we can see is that all the hopeful wider market monohull foilers so far have stumbled, and I think the reason has been that they were ether half ass conversions, or else just second rate Moths, and if you're going to have a second rate Moth then a secondhand real Moth is better. So maybe no-one has yet come up with the right configuration for a wider market monohull foiler. This seems to me the first considered attempt at something that is neither a half ass conversion nor a second rate Moth, but a fresh look at the problem saying, "right, what is the correct configuration to put above centre line T foils". Is it right? Time will tell, but there's clearly a lot of smart thinking gone on.

I think Steve and Daves boat is outstanding but it isn't the only new monohull foiler. The Quant 23 is the first foiling keelboat in the history of the world and it uses foils that are entirely different from anything else on the market. They develop righting moment as well as lift. What they don't do is generate lateral resistance so they can be 100% retracted in very light air(or any other time you don't want to foil). It has to be very light air because this monohull keelboat will foil in 5 knots of wind on flat water.

There is another new boat- the Flo 1 by aeronamics- that is using the same type of foil as the Quant with the same aim to fly in light air.

These two boats and some others are trashing the old concepts about foiling in terms of making the whole wind range available to their customers contrary to the first production foilers that needed over 10 knots to foil.

You're 100% right-there is a lot of smart thinking going on.

The extraordinarily long gestation of foil boats (the idea dates back to the 50s, it was reasonably often attempted in the 60s) is probably as much as anything down to carbon fibre being a required material, but I think for a long time configurations were wrong.

Initial foilers were all 3 point craft with bruce foils, like power hydrofoils. This was quite wrong, because it was surface piercing and required brute power. Next the experimentalists were seduced by the trimaran sit in the middle concept, and in particular by the possibilities of holding down the windward hull with the foil. The T foil was in the event a critical development, but this configuration was a blind alley - eg Hobie Trifoiler. .

Jim : I think your history needs a little revising.

Ironically enough, the first sailing hydrofoil (at least that I'm aware of) was probably more like the UFO than anything else. Designed by Robert Gilruth & Bill Carl, and sailed in 1938, it was a small catamaran with a horizontal main foil spanning the entire distance between the hulls. I'm not sure what sort of aft-foil, or foils it had for pitch control.

After that, there have been all sorts of different configurations, including many 4-point catamarans - not just 3-point configurations.

To say that "the configurations were wrong" ignores the fact that several of these configurations set World Speed Records, either outright (l'Hydroptere), or in their sail-area categories (Icarus, Longshot, at least one of Sam Bradfield's boats, etc.) And their sail areas were not particularly large; no need for any "brute force".

What is different these days is that foilers are being designed to perform well around a racecourse, not just in speed trials. A Moth is very fast in that regard, but its top speeds would be no match to some of the earlier boats with their wrong configurations.

Finally, the use of carbon fiber is not necessarily required in order to develop a successful foiler - witness the Waspz, the Quant-23, & other recent designs.

About the Catafoil-1938-thanks for reminding me, Doug:

R. Gilruth and Bill Cart, also of the US and of the NACA started experimenting
with foils in 1938. They successfully flew a catamaran hydrofoil
sailing craft which took off at 5 knots and cruised at 12 knots. The main
foil had an aspect ratio of 11 : I, a 12 ft span, a I ft chord and the remarkable
L/D ratio of 25 : I. The foil section was one of big camber for high lift at low speed, like NACA 65-506.
(Bold by DL)

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=171516

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/robert-gilruth-first-foiling-catamaran-1938-a-54980.html

282eev.jpg

Can't forget Dominion-the first tunnel hulled scow-1898:

v7sdb8.jpg

post-30-0-58958600-1472585928.jpg

Jim : I think your history needs a little revising.

Not the place to discuss, but I'm happy with what I wrote .

SHC - while I appreciate the ingenuity of the rig, can you give a little insight into why the extra windage and complication of the setup is justified on a boat that is otherwise designed to be so easily accessible and simple?

SHC - while I appreciate the ingenuity of the rig, can you give a little insight into why the extra windage and complication of the setup is justified on a boat that is otherwise designed to be so easily accessible and simple?

I can field this one. Had a hand in the rig development. Wishbones are safer and allow endplating to the deck which has some nice effects. I'm pretty psyched about our aero package. Plus powerful vangs, and booms that can really vang up a roughly 8 square meter rig are neither simple nor cheap. We explored a bunch of other stuff. We chose this package.

Btw, I've got to personally thank you and Amac for at least a part of this boat's existance. The first boat I foiled was your bladerider in Newport way back in 07 during,the bladerider world tour. Love at first flight. It was only a matter of time.

DRC

I can field this one. Had a hand in the rig development. Wishbones are safer and allow endplating to the deck which has some nice effects. I'm pretty psyched about our aero package. Plus powerful vangs, and booms that can really vang up a roughly 8 square meter rig are neither simple nor cheap. We explored a bunch of other stuff. We chose this package.

Btw, I've got to personally thank you and Amac for at least a part of this boat's existance. The first boat I foiled was your bladerider in Newport way back in 07 during,the bladerider world tour. Love at first flight. It was only a matter of time.

DRC

Sorry Dave - not that Rohan! But he used to post here a bit, so may pass by and catch your nice words!!!

Thanks for the info on your thinking for rig layout choice. While I'm personally not convinced, beyond the end-plating, I'll be very keen to see how it fairs in the end users hands.

Is nobody going to compare it to the S9?? To me they are pointing to the same target

Hobie Bravo?

[if anyone is wondering, I am taking it upon myself to officially declare this post as a joke]

One of the reasons I was so surprised seeing the UFO is that I've been working on a model design that is a sort of modern version of Dominion-the first tunnel hulled scow mentioned earlier in this thread. Scaled up the model would work well at 16' as a singlehander. The biggest difference is that the Dominion 2-HW uses foils similar to and inspired by Hugh Welbourns Quant 23.

Amazing coincidence in somewhat similar hull shape!

D2-100% self-righting RC foiler:

64qr2o.jpg
bi48wl.jpg
20 year old "B" test rig-"A" rig is much bigger and designed to work with a Trapeze Power Ballast System. Good chance it will foil with the "B" rig and no movable ballast:
r8f9dx.jpg

That doesn't look like the DOMINION at all. It looks exactly like QUANT but with a catamaran instead of a scow platform.

Kind of like Kon Tiki, Spaceship One, the Brooklyn Dodgers and an apple.

SHC

Kind of like Kon Tiki, Spaceship One, the Brooklyn Dodgers and an apple.

SHC

Thanks-I think.........

Dave this is awesome... please let me help promote it on the West Coast when there's a chance.

To Steve and Dave - what a great project. i wish you all the best with it. The rig is very clever. Taking the vang loads away makes it far easier to build lighter. One question - it's hard to see for sure, but I don't think I can see any shrouds but I think I see a forestay. Is that an illusion?

Doug

Please stop posting pictures of your toys on threads that are nothing to do with you. It shows an extreme degree of self-importance.

Doug

Please stop posting pictures of your toys on threads that are nothing to do with you. It shows an extreme degree of self-importance.

I'm no real fan of the man but it is his thread... :P

I agree. Let Doug have his day. He's been going on and on and on about the people's foiler for years, and now it appears Steve and Dave have truly done it.

I must also agree about the genius of the wishbone rig. With a multihull the righting moment is higher, and that directly translates to higher leech tension requirements. I like the simple rig stiffening afforded by the diamond stay as well. This is really well done and I hope it catchess on.

nice models by the way doug.

do you make them yourself?

To Steve and Dave - what a great project. i wish you all the best with it. The rig is very clever. Taking the vang loads away makes it far easier to build lighter. One question - it's hard to see for sure, but I don't think I can see any shrouds but I think I see a forestay. Is that an illusion?

I had the same question. With the picture, it seems that the mast is standing up by an act of God, or defying the laws of mechanics and material science.

What am I missing?

I had the same question. With the picture, it seems that the mast is standing up by an act of God, or defying the laws of mechanics and material science.

What am I missing?

Not seeing a forestay and I was thinking it was perhaps similar to a Laser mast step set-up but am guessing obviously. Hoping to have a chance to see it at the Annapolis show if they are coming there but they don't seem to be talking plans beyond the Newport coming out.

I agree. Let Doug have his day. He's been going on and on and on about the people's foiler for years, and now it appears Steve and Dave have truly done it.

I must also agree about the genius of the wishbone rig. With a multihull the righting moment is higher, and that directly translates to higher leech tension requirements. I like the simple rig stiffening afforded by the diamond stay as well. This is really well done and I hope it catchess on.

Is it actually a multihull? Maybe in displacement mode, but with foils on the CL once foiling it is in effect a monohull and there is no benefit of additional righting moment from the hull form.

What am I missing?

Take the video full screen and pause it periodically to stop the shaking. You'll see a structure attached to the front crossbar that the mast base appears to slide into.

Nice boat and a great thread.

Major Tom,

True; once foiling the hulls become irrelevant, but the windward hull gives a very nice lever to hike from. It's sort of like the wings on a B-14.

Steve or Dave,

Do you have a sailplan or deckplan you would like to share? It may clear up a lot of our questions.

Steve or Dave,

Do you have a sailplan or deckplan you would like to share? It may clear up a lot of our questions.

And ruin this wonderfully entertaining guessing game? Hell no! Don't worry guys. We're doing a long presentation at foiling week which I believe gets posted online aftwards. All will be revealed soon enough.

DRC

I don't think there is any way that the mast will stay up just stuck into a tube on the front beam. I'm not an engineer but why bother with beefing up that area just to get the rig to stay up without wires.

It has shrouds, you can see that in the pics so it therefore must have forestays on the bows. Just like in my avatar and most 14 and 16ft cats.

In fact, since foiling's the game why not have a short traveller and no boom like the new A cats. Even with my Maricat the name of the game for speed is changing gears which, with the 40-50 year old technology is a combination of mast rotation and mainsheet tension. We can't change the rotation (it rotates between blocks in the foot moulding) but mainsheet tension makes a big difference in sailshape and therefore speed.

Applying occam's leaves the probability that an autonomous drone is tethered to the masthead.

Steve or Dave,

And ruin this wonderfully entertaining guessing game? Hell no! Don't worry guys. We're doing a long presentation at foiling week which I believe gets posted online aftwards. All will be revealed soon enough.

DRC

Such a tease, LOL. I am sticking with my Laser mast step concept guess.

Lots of breeze down here this weekend along with long stretches of flat water. You should come visit... :o

I see the diamond stays as a great way to use a cheap section and control gust bend lay off, any other tweaking opps are a bonus from there.

I think KOJ almost anwsered his own question, then got complicted,then back, above!

Don't listen to this guy; he don't know nothing about Lasers! :P

It has shrouds, you can see that in the pics so it therefore must have forestays on the bows.

I don't believe you can see shrouds in any of the photos or video, and what i thought might be a forestay is not one.

I believe that you are looking at the diamond wires. If you look at the photo, you should note that there is nowhere for a shroud to attach to and that the side of the boat is totally smooth. Even at this resolution you should be able to see some sort of fitting for the shrouds to attach to the hull.

Not having stays on a foiling boat is a great safety feature. Like the WASZP. Nothing to crash the body into when the boat suddenly stops.