• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Doug Lord

Steve and Dave Clarks Unidentified Foiling Object

Dave is heading to the Annapolis Spring Boatshow as I type.

Mid Atlantic UFO fans can site one there.

SHC

And I didn't need to spend half a day loading up some godforsaken trailer to do it! Woohoo!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1857855214463520&id=1491450577770654

DRC

I never felt super comfortable hooking a cargo strap hook back to standing part of the strap to secure to a bar. Saw a clever fellow work the standing part of the strap through hook eye to make a soft eye sort of luggage tag attachment to a roof bar. Utilizes the eye but the hook part just dangles.

The cam/ratchet adjustment end doesn't always have enough slack to do that.

edit- everything in/on a normal car is fucking brilliant. Need to mention that a lot.

i was just looking at some straps like that the other day.., and thinking i could just remove the hook, and put the loop over the bar end

Everything in the car is good for the speed pack, and for gas mileage. But I think we will want to sort some sort of rooftop cargo box or inter hull strapping system to liberate, at least, the passenger seat. Meeting the Significant Other for dinner after a day's sailing without having to park a trailer downtown is a significant advantage of the UFO.

Auto correct just suggested "UFOLOGIST." BRILLIANT!

SHC

I think just a tad over 8 feet. I will have to confirm. Nothing is longer than the hull though.

SHC

The boat looks amazing! Congratz to Dave, Steve and team!

Looks like some strong S wind Monday, will have to convince Dave to stick around for a few more hours :)

Steve and Dave,

At Park City Sailing we got contacted by a person from Montana who is getting a UFO. Nice work! I'll have to check it out when I'm in town for the Newport Regatta. Will there be a start for UFOs there?

i was just looking at some straps like that the other day.., and thinking i could just remove the hook, and put the loop over the bar end

Often the loops are too small to fit over some bars. The invert the loop through the eye trick is fantastic on my old Vespa "bars" as you can get your loop inboard of the levers and the headset casting is far fatter than most hooks.

The boat looks amazing! Congratz to Dave, Steve and team!

Looks like some strong S wind Monday, will have to convince Dave to stick around for a few more hours :)

Ditto. Dave said they sold 60. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few one-design fleets. He thought San Diego and New England would be first.

Kudos to Dave, Steve and the team for making this happen.

9tIRRRtIU9OKdeGLclftOXII8e8lN9Yj5Za1mpYQ

Looks like UFO's are included in the Wickford regatta on June 10-11.

Anyone planning on sailing theirs there?

http://wickford.mysailspace.com/

Well, obviously me. Skip white (classy dude) has offered to put together a nicely accommodating fun ripper course for a fleet which will be predominantly foil racing for the first time ever. Big hint: it's a drag race. The emphasis is on fun, speed and learning.

DRC

Edit. To further explain, it's a strange situation since the normal old vanguard tactic is to build a private armada first, run events and then sell boats. In this case we're punching them out and shipping them away to their owners, so I've got my boat and one other to provide. So when I get the question "will the UFOs be there?" The answer is "I dunno. Depends on what the fleet wants". Skip reached out with said question and together we cooked up this proposed format for inevitably green (hah. See what I did there?) UFO pilots. Should be a blast

Well, obviously me. Skip white (classy dude) has offered to put together a nicely accommodating fun ripper course for a fleet which will be predominantly foil racing for the first time ever. Big hint: it's a drag race. The emphasis is on fun, speed and learning.

DRC

Edit. To further explain, it's a strange situation since the normal old vanguard tactic is to build a private armada first, run events and then sell boats. In this case we're punching them out and shipping them away to their owners, so I've got my boat and one other to provide. So when I get the question "will the UFOs be there?" The answer is "I dunno. Depends on what the fleet wants". Skip reached out with said question and together we cooked up this proposed format for inevitably green (hah. See what I did there?) UFO pilots. Should be a blast

Dave, I predict that foiling around the course in your UFO at that regatta will result in some jaw dropping from the other dinghy fleets. Not to mention that it would probably result in more than a few orders afterwards.

So where are fleets forming? And is there any movement towards an organized national committee? We have 4 coming to Chicago, with a few more kicking tires. Hoping to get some weeknight racing with the v15/lasers at CCYC.

I'll go if my boat is ready. Thought I'd be doing the dingy distance race this weekend, but no boat to float........

We have 3 coming to Texas! Hoping to get lots more. Planning to show them in June and hopefully have our first race this fall.

So where are fleets forming? And is there any movement towards an organized national committee? We have 4 coming to Chicago, with a few more kicking tires. Hoping to get some weeknight racing with the v15/lasers at CCYC.

From the master list, I'm seeing a BIG cluster in the northeastern United States, the second biggest in Southern California, and nuclei in the chicago and central texas areas. Besides that there smaller nuclei in Florida, the PNW and then random boats about everywhere else. The two biggest foreign powers outside the USA are Australia and Switzerland.

In other news, this is what a 100% OEM UFO looks like in use. "https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffulcrumspeedworks%2Fvideos%2F1860507764198265%2F&show_text=0&width=560" I'm totally itching to get these things out the door to their owners. The boat took another jump forward in quality with the finalized parts.

DRC

Any SF Bay interest? Would love to see a fleet come together here - I'm hoping to be able to place a deposit this fall.

Any SF Bay interest? Would love to see a fleet come together here - I'm hoping to be able to place a deposit this fall.

I am interested and I have at least three friends that might be interested as well.

When are we going to get a demo out here?

E

On 5/3/2017 at 9:45 PM, Emilio Castelli said:

I am interested and I have at least three friends that might be interested as well.

When are we going to get a demo out here?

E

Also in SF and interested.

Dave,

with the first ufos finished, could you please give us a detailed video introduction to the final design? A complete rigging video starting from disassembled spar, boom and foils would be great - like right after unloading from the Prius.

After one gets it on the dolly to the beach (garage storage, mast in 3 pieces, foils up, minimally disassembled), how much time will it take to be ready to push it into the water? Any minute one wastes on land is a minute one misses on water.

Default settings and trimming tutorial would be great too.

Maybe that's just me: How does one (alone) keep the UFO from taking off (UnmannedFO) to other galaxies while bringing the dolly to/from shore? Right now I lower my bungee-secured dagger board into the ground. Guess that's not a good idea with hydrofoils.

Cheers, Tom

Per DC, it's 110# or 50 kg ALL UP (that's everything to have the boat sail -- blades, hardware, sails, rig, etc.).  Hull alone is in the 70# range I understand, which makes car topping do-able.

O'pen Bic seriously? Looks like you can stick foils on like everything. Dave, hurry up! I do not want to be the last one on my lake still pushing water.

52 minutes ago, kindofblue said:

Hi all,

Please forgive this slight digression but I thought you all might enjoy a bit of jocularity. My sister-in-law googled UFO boat after hearing of my interest in it and came across this:

http://www.designboom.com/design/jet-capsule-u-f-o-2-0-houseboat-11-15-2016/

Going to need some recommendations on clear antifouling paint.

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Going to need some recommendations on clear antifouling paint.

Nah, the fish keep it clean for you.

Alcott Catfish

designed by George Patterson , and I was National Champion at the age of something like 14.

My mates Adam and Peet Foster and I sailed the piss out of the things.

A pretty good pre Hobie design, that probably was faster than a Hobie 14 but Alcort  had this thing about using nylon for sails instead of Dacron ( seriously the Sunfish had Nylon sails until the '80s) which turned to shit when the wind blew, but the little beasts could rip pretty good. A lot like a Paper Tiger.  The last act of my boat was to put a trapeze on it, which made it my little sister's  favorite boat. She never had to come in off the wire and she could keep up with whatever boat one of the boys she was flirting with was sailing. 

The hardest thing to replace is going to be the rudders. They were Patterson designed cast aluminum heads and blades and really pretty trick. I learned how not to finish aluminum in a salt environment with these things! But they don't exist as spare parts.

The UFO does contain some Catfish DNA. Once you look at the two of the it's pretty fucking obvious. The good news is that in the 50 years since mine was sitting under the Christmas tree. (and I DID sail it on Christmas Day) glue has gotten way better and you can build that little hull deck joint reliably.  Alcort used some sort of polysulfide goo in those days and 1/8" pop rivets through an aluminum trim strip to keep everything together. On my starboard bow, there was a rivet that had lost it's central mandrel, which made an amusing little fountain when you pressed the bow. I tried to get Dave to include a hole in each bow of the UFO flange for a painter, which would do the same thing before you took off, but he nixed it. I did test it though

A long digression to get around to " No. That can't be modified into a UFO."  Doesn't have some pretty big pieces in important places to be made to work.  One might be able to build a Stunt9 or iFly like foiled out of that platform, but I don't think it is a good place to start. Catfish weren't light, all that strong or all that well built to invest any real effort or money in modifying. If all the pieces were ther and  no i.e. 14 sail fit, it would be a fun little boat. But if you want a foiler, either start with something better, or call Dave. 

SHC

I think there are a decent number of hulls built but spars and foils are lagging behind in the supply chain.  Don't have a delivery date for mine yet, though allegedly my hull was built last week.  Fingers crossed that it'll be ready for pickup soon.

In an email from Dave it sounds like the foils are catching up to the boats and they are adding more guys to the team.  I have a feeling they will be pumping out boats soon.  PS anyone driving from Newp to Chicago in about 30 hulls?

I have been off the thread for a while with crazy work hours.  So I am not keeping up. Are any Demos planned in the Mid-Atlantic (Chesapeake Bay area) this summer?  Or, is anyone from this area getting one and willing to give an old Beachcat sailor a try on their boat this summer? 

Just checking.

Cheers, 

Received mine today, 0001, and it's a thing of beauty.  Gel coat is immaculate.  And the British racing green sail just barely fits into the 6" irrigation tube on my trailer.  Masts & booms fit into 2nd tube, so that I have only foils in car.  My daughter coming up from San Diego tomorrow will just have to wait for my June order--not getting this one.

pebble, Great news for you! How 'bout us? Post plenty of pics for the rest of us. Show how the sail fits in the tube. Thanks.

I think I'm hull #4...  I have been bugging the crap out of dave....I think the first 10 will be shipped some time in June.  I'm thinking of naming mine  "Patiently Waiting" hahahahaha

Dave and his team has been working hard...there are always delays in first production runs---

Terry

ps  as the grand master says   "patience grasshopper"

So hull no. 1 went to Cali.  Guess Tupac was right -- California knows how to party....

Terry, I will take your advice and be patient, but our Texas wind machine turns off for three months beginning in July, so I will likely be dressed up with nowhere to go with a boat in hand and no wind!!

That said, when it shows up and we have some air, it will be glorious!

hey True north.....I'm about 8 hours south of you...lets all get together when we get our boats....and I feel for you about the wind....it pretty much turns down in late june here...though 8 to 10 knots still happens

terry

That's a deal. PM me your email.  We have three in central and north Texas who are in communication, and seeing you're in MS, that's not too bad a drive for any of us.

Brig

Merde2's planning on bringing a UFO to Ottawa for the Skiff & Cat Grand Prix this weekend.  I'm hoping to borrow it for a test drive for a few minutes.

Any tips?

That was the plan. 
Until the car's engine stopped working and it's not a quick or cheap fix. Wickford might be iffy at this point as well. Which sucks.

You're welcome to come down river to sail her this summer Matt.

Here's the perfect example of how easy it's to transport a UFO. Yakima Q-Tower roof rack with 78in round bars with some foam padding. Two ratchet straps attached to the bars 30" apart and a 3:1 pulley system to a bridle to make sure it doesn't fly off. Very stable at US highway speeds. Made the 600km trip up over the border without a hitch until half the engine lost compression 5 minutes from home.

20170529_200229.thumb.jpg.27e5454b183dbc9b034c75f57d47fbb5.jpg

If anyone's interested in the import procedure at the border, let me know.

Is there enough clear span to get a SUP underneath the UFO on the roof?

Does the mast step bulge stick down too far for that?

10 hours ago, Merde2 said:

how tall are SUPs?

I thought that they were all inflatable and collapsible.

Three to four inches deep, 25-30 wide.

5 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Three to four inches deep, 25-30 wide.

You could fit three or four in there.

Been a long time since I posted in here. My guys and I have been full tilt at the plant. Hulls and foils keep coming out and we're rigging up the finished hulls for delivery. That stuff starts slow and gets quicker and quicker on each repetition. I spend the bulk of my time doing a lot of the detail work which I'm either actively teaching or still am the only person who knows what goes where, depending on the task. Keeping a close eye on the laminators is always a priority, too. It's a simplistic but nuanced build and a little coaching always helps. So I rarely get a free minute to read the thread these days.

Mercifully, I got a few free hours with Merde2 to shoot some footage this last weekend

Yup, I know. It's a hype reel. We also took some time to shoot launching, tacking, gybing and a rigging tutorial. That will be forthcoming.

On a personal aside, I felt myself feeling giddy rigging up two boats on the shore this weekend. Two identical UFOs going into the water gives a visceral sense of One-Design, that I've never been part of before. It's extremely exciting and motivating.

DRC

ONEDESIGN!.png

Been off w other boating adventures but getting back to this.

* Any big boys (ie 250 lbs) been out successfully foiling on this and willing to speak up about how it went?

* Anybody seen one of these do a WW/LW race course against any other boat and willing to speak up about how it did (against what)?

Thanks!

A piece of advise to anyone rigging one.
If it's taking too long to rig a part such as the rudder or main foil, take a step back, you're probably doing it the wrong way.

Once you figure it out it's super simple.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, Wess said:

Been off w other boating adventures but getting back to this.

* Any big boys (ie 250 lbs) been out successfully foiling on this and willing to speak up about how it went?

* Anybody seen one of these do a WW/LW race course against any other boat and willing to speak up about how it did (against what)?

Thanks!

Bumpity, bump, bump, bump. Should have known better than tp post a question late on a Friday, LOL.

Already got the word on the 250lbs but has anyone raced one or seen one race in a ww/lw yet?  Was hoping so by now but... :huh:

Even if there have been some delays in the process, overall enthusiasm still seems high, and it looks like boats are about to start rolling out.  Regardless, a bunch of people will have boats by the fall (along with at least a tiny bit of time in said boats), and as a result, there are now 3 UFOs signed up for the High Performance Regatta @ American YC Oct. 6-7 (f/k/a "the HPDO").  Wonder how many UFOs we'll get on the line. If you have or are getting a boat - sign up.  https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=4240

1 hour ago, wpbeardsley said:

Even if there have been some delays in the process, overall enthusiasm still seems high, and it looks like boats are about to start rolling out.  Regardless, a bunch of people will have boats by the fall (along with at least a tiny bit of time in said boats), and as a result, there are now 3 UFOs signed up for the High Performance Regatta @ American YC Oct. 6-7 (f/k/a "the HPDO").  Wonder how many UFOs we'll get on the line. If you have or are getting a boat - sign up.  https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=4240

Now it's four. I'm in! Early registration is a pretty solid deal (plus hot breakfast is a nice touch). Two of the four registered boats are in this picture. We added one of the best ex-vanguard rigging technicians in the business to the line this week. Cooking with gas.

DRC

Ream of UFOs.png

2 hours ago, wpbeardsley said:

I'm in. Will get my registration done soon. We should work out a practice weekend or 2 prior to the event

For the guys doing the HDPO, what's the deal with needing to carry $300k work of insurance to do the event?

14. INSURANCE

Each participating boat shall be insured with valid third-party liability

insurance with a minimum coverage of US $300,000 per event or the

equivalent. A copy of insurance company documents establishing such

coverage, current through the end of the regatta, shall be supplied as

part of completing registration and check in.

2 hours ago, mr_ryano said:

For the guys doing the HDPO, what's the deal with needing to carry $300k work of insurance to do the event?

14. INSURANCE

Each participating boat shall be insured with valid third-party liability

insurance with a minimum coverage of US $300,000 per event or the

equivalent. A copy of insurance company documents establishing such

coverage, current through the end of the regatta, shall be supplied as

part of completing registration and check in.

This is a bit of a hangover from when my former 505 skipper was the event chair and is a common provision in NORs for major 505 events.  I've done the HPDO at least 5 times previously in my Viper and have never been asked to provide evidence of this, though Viper guys usually carry this insurance anyway. 

12 hours ago, wpbeardsley said:

This is a bit of a hangover from when my former 505 skipper was the event chair and is a common provision in NORs for major 505 events.  I've done the HPDO at least 5 times previously in my Viper and have never been asked to provide evidence of this, though Viper guys usually carry this insurance anyway. 

Count me as a maybe, it's a hike from the Midwest!  Anyone have an extra bed?

We had a similiar provision for ice boating and my homeowners insurance covered me, and they accepted the policy as proof.

I got insurance from boat us... was 202 per year, and covers liability and loss of property...its also covered while trailering

t

On 5/27/2017 at 6:53 AM, pbegle said:

Received mine today, 0001, and it's a thing of beauty.  Gel coat is immaculate.  And the British racing green sail just barely fits into the 6" irrigation tube on my trailer.  Masts & booms fit into 2nd tube, so that I have only foils in car. 

Have you sailed it? How is it? Pictures? Videos?

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, tewtops1 said:

I got insurance from boat us... was 202 per year, and covers liability and loss of property...its also covered while trailering

t

When I tried to get insurance from BoatUS for my Moth (3 years ago) , they told me they wouldn't insure any boats with hydrofoils. Try Gowrie Group.

Are any Demos planned in the Mid-Atlantic (Chesapeake Bay area) this summer?  Or, is anyone from this area getting one and willing to give an old Beachcat sailor a try on their boat this summer? 

I am very interested on the boat, however I have various injuries accumulated over the years and would like to see if I can sail it relatively pain free. 

Just checking.

Cheers, 

I sailed Dave's demo boat at the Wickford regatta this Saturday and had a blast. Conditions were SSE 15-18 gusting occasionally to 20 with a pretty good ebb against the wind, so some decent chop. The plan was to do some "match racing" with Dave but unfortunately in launching he dropped his rudder and it sank to the bottom (I guess he had forgotten to rig the rudder downhaul -apparently he had a late night the day before- which would have kept it in), so I headed out to the course solo. My impressions:

The boat is really easy to rig. We had to put the boat I sailed together, which consisted of sliding the 3 piece mast together, pinning the wishbones to the spreaders and sliding the mast into the step. Tip the boat on its side, insert foils from the bottom, attach the wand arm to the main foil, tip the boat back up (foils are held in the retracted position by cool little keepers on the rudder head and mast pod), rig the mainsheet and hoist the sail. Because the rig is so bendy, it is really easy to hoist the main even though it has a lot of luff curve with the stays released. Rig Cunningham and outhaul, slide the dolly under and you are good to go. Town Beach in Wickford is shallow for a good ways out, so I put about a foot of rudder down and sailed out to deep water, where I then dropped the main foil and the rudder and went on my way.

It was about a 2 mile beat out to the course. I did a commination of semi foiling and foiling to get out there. For such a short boat, it handled the chop well, although I had my ride height probably set too low so even when foiling I was punching through some waves. What really go me is how much bigger the boat feels than it actually is-the main foil is always working for you, even when "displacing". Once I got up to the course area I had some great rips with a bunch of down-speed sailing in between (I am NOT in very good hiking shape right now and my hip flexors were screaming!). The boat is really very manageable when down speed-compared to my time sailing I 14s the boat is very easy in the between races milling around mode, even in good breeze and chop. Down speed tacks were the most challenging-it was easy to miss stays, but pushing the main out to leeward and backing the tiller would get you going quickly. I had 3 "near" crashes, the first 2 were nosedives into waves that happened just as I was building speed to foil-probably because I bore off to a reach too aggressively-in both cases I buried the bows to well past the mast pod (in fact I was sitting pretty far aft and was under water to my chest!), but I just held on and amazingly the boat just popped back up and kept going. The third ended my day-I was going nearly DDW, in the middle of the boat on my knees when a puff hit and the boat came up on the foils and promptly heeled to windward, pitching me off. I didn't want to get separated, so I held on to the tiller extension, hoping the boat would flip or round up. It did stop, but not before I cracked the tiller. Dave jumped in, jury rigged the tiller and gave us a show of how to sail the boat properly!

The boat I sailed had literally been put together the day before, and the only breakdowns I had (apart from the tiller, which was serious user error, but which Dave says he is going to beef up) was a knot pulling through on one of the shrouds which I fixed on the water and one of the wishbones pulled out of its end fitting due to not enough plexus at the bond surface, which we electrical taped to finish the day. 

I think the thing that struck me most about the experience and what I think sets the UFO apart is that the boat is so manageable. Yes it is demanding and physical when you are ripping, but when I got tired, I never felt a concern about being able to get back to the beach.

Ezra

Erza,

Thank you for the review. I just came back from my lake yesterday with a broken carbon tiller extension for the same mistake. Felt kind of good to learn, I am not the only one hanging on to the tiller when going overboard. Dave, if you read this: I would like a beefed up tiller extension, too. :D This puts the second aluminum rod inside my extension for repair. Guess I could have bought an aluminum tiller extension in the first place. Carbon was not worth it.

Cheers, Tom.

Ill get mine this weekend! Spoke to Dave and there will be new rudder heads coming for the first few boats. Hope to get out for a blast with Dave on Sunday afternoon for a maiden sail

First rule when sailing any dinghy, when you capsize let go the tiller and hang onto the main sheet. Beefing up one component often simply sends the loads to the next weakest link down the line.

Same rule applies to my S9 catamarans - we broke 5 sticks in six months.  

They make an impressive "crack!" when they wrap around the shroud and exceed their limit.

I don't have a delivery date for my UFO, but I think it's pretty close.

Just a note about rigging the foils and struts.
I think that Dave is blessed with having lots of grass so tipping boats isn't an issue for him.
For those of us dealing with pavement and parking lots, no need to tip the boat over, just get some foam pads to lay the foils on in position, then tighten the connecting rods to the foils, thread the rod through the strut and push the strut into the rudder head/main pod and tighten the locking nut to finish it off.

I can post pictures if needed.