• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
HFC Hunter

Junk on the trunk

316 posts in this topic

We've got anarchic appreciation societies for ugly boats, dodgers, and zombies - but how about cruisers' transom jewellery with their goodies stacked on an arch?

Those in the 35-50' range are often flamed for their derrière devices and the looks/performance that they swallow. Sure, you can cruise without them, but how can an arch be done well? Or how else can solar panels/davits/radars/washing/etc be aesthetically incorporated on a midsize cruiser?

Feel free to post examples of good/bad/ugly. (Though if non-nautical, please just go with the good!)

Most transom arches don't have the same aesthetics as a boom dolly

post-54771-0-31696800-1472193121_thumb.jpeg

Solar panels suffer greatly from shading

post-54771-0-88460100-1472193148_thumb.jpeg

Stylish as a maritime bumbag/fannypack

post-54771-0-34732500-1472193167_thumb.jpeg

Seek higher ground

post-54771-0-16992000-1472193187_thumb.jpeg

Hunter, you're going to have to post some of those in higher resolution and larger format. Don't make me pull out my monocle to inspect the aft bling.

But good thread start! I was searching for something similar a couple weeks ago. One boat I looked at today was sitting at the top of the bottom paint at the stern, and there was 8" of dry bottom paint at the bow. Odd thing is, the radar mast is carbon, and the only other stern bling was a bimini. I would have expected far more--like davits and a rib.

I think the only thread I have ever started was Junk In The Trunk and was corrected that there had already been another thread...

Nothing turns up in SA search.

Out of interest I used google search "site:sailinganarchy.com junk in the trunk" to see if it was still on the forums or had been deleted.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=155356

Nope still there, this forum should invest in better server hardware than a shared Commodore 64 hosting, clearly it costs too much to pay the monkeys to change the cassette tape for older searches. :)

Thx Bob, I couldn't remember the key word, so went to the cheap gag - and on retrospect it would have been weird to say gallows and aesthetic in the same breath.

I think it's interesting that Beneteau has moved the arch way forward due the short boom.

9129_1.jpg

Thanks sparau- I guess Junk in the Trunk needed bumping more often? ;)

I think it's interesting that Beneteau has moved the arch way forward due the short boom.

9129_1.jpg

But you can get another handle if you really need one...

post-54771-0-11283100-1472215474_thumb.jpeg

9129_1.jpg

But you can get another handle if you really need one...

Whew! That's a relief.

That boat styling looks very awkward to my eye. I hate that faceted transom corner. I am not embracing the future if that is it.

That's a "boom gallows" not a "boom dolly".

I thought her name was "Dolly".

While not in love with the overall aesthetics, the boom traveler arch offers plenty of utility for awnings, solar, etc and cleans up the mainsheet/traveler.

That boat styling looks very awkward to my eye. I hate that faceted transom corner. I am not embracing the future if that is it.

IMO the half forward of the companionway is ok in a "Wally-esk" modern functional look, then the designers went to lunch, started discussing wine, women and left the aft half to the newly employed ex-Macgregor designers.

Thanks sparau- I guess Junk in the Trunk needed bumping more often? ;)

Maybe, or not, I don't really care. I was just commenting that you had searched and like myself it always fails.

I guess it's part of SA that the search functions' uselessness promotes regurgitated topics.

For this topic not an issue since it is for fun, more painful if you are trying to find information about specific boat/experience...

On that front you could wonder why they don't just use google search if their peasant hardware is so inadequate?

What's even worse is the dodgers I've seen on some - they go all the way to the top of the arch, creating a huge monstrosity.

I think the only thread I have ever started was Junk In The Trunk and was corrected that there had already been another thread...

Nothing turns up in SA search.

Out of interest I used google search "site:sailinganarchy.com junk in the trunk" to see if it was still on the forums or had been deleted.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=155356

Nope still there, this forum should invest in better server hardware than a shared Commodore 64 hosting, clearly it costs too much to pay the monkeys to change the cassette tape for older searches. :)

When you use the SA "Advanced Search" page (the gear icon next to the Search button on every page), you have an option to:

Search in Live content or Archives

Archives are closed threads that you can read but not respond to.

I have concerns about that arch withstanding high loads during real weather or God forbid, a bad gybe.

When you use the SA "Advanced Search" page (the gear icon next to the Search button on every page), you have an option to:

Search in Live content or Archives

Archives are closed threads that you can read but not respond to.

Thanks Proa :)

Still I'm not sure why they need to archive things that recent, for instance the last post on that thread was 01 May 2014...

IMO It helps with continuity if threads can be re-opened.

Around here, the term 'Crap on the Back' (COB) is often used instead of 'Junk in the Trunk'

A common affliction when the realities of cruising interfere with asthetics and performance.

For the record, I thought 'Boom Dolly' was completely appropriate for that picture. If you want to be pedantic, you could say "The boom dolly is in front of the boom gallows". Or simplify it to a question: "Boom, Dolly?"

Boats look sexiest with five radar masts, a dinghy, Christmas tree, and your aunt Susan in a rocking chair handing from the transom.

Seriously, has anyone removed or investigated the removal of one of those stainless steel arches with all the COB dangling therefrom? Case in point:

post-15608-0-50302700-1472237342_thumb.jpg

That "pole" on the starboard side is actually a mast for a wind turbine.

My wife hates this boat but I keep telling her it's actually a very pretty design by S&S that ought to look like this:

post-15608-0-86429500-1472237437_thumb.jpeg

So how much would it add to have all that removed and the evidence wiped off the gelcoat?

I've seen some of those custom-built structures offered "free" from the boatyard that took them off. Didn't fit my boat tho... :(

Seriously, has anyone removed or investigated the removal of one of those stainless steel arches with all the COB dangling therefrom? Case in point:

attachicon.gif5405092_20151006102734563_1_XLARGE.jpg

That "pole" on the starboard side is actually a mast for a wind turbine.

My wife hates this boat but I keep telling her it's actually a very pretty design by S&S that ought to look like this:

attachicon.giflacoste 1.jpeg

So how much would it add to have all that removed and the evidence wiped off the gelcoat?

Good question.

Another thing to look for: Doe she sit on her lines?

I am looking at two boats. One is a Nordic 40 that has a smallish bimini with solar panels above it (not huge ones). It also has a carbon radar mast and 18' radome. Yet her ass sits at the top of the bottom paint and the bow has about 8" of bottom paint in the air.

But that can't be due to the junk on the trunk. Maybe the house bank needs to be moved forward.

^Or a spare chain, kedge, and stern anchor plus a 15hp outboard nested in aft spaces?

Despite the mockworthy tendencies, I'm truly keen to see admirable designs - in use, or in design.

^Or a spare chain, kedge, and stern anchor plus a 15hp outboard nested in aft spaces?

You got the 15 hp outboard right. Not sure if it's a light 2 stroke or heavy 4 stroke.

I tried my best to suppress my junk (Radar, VHF antennae, All around light, Deck lights, Flagstaff, Davit) by using a single (rotatable) pole. Davit can also be used as an crane for outboard or MOB.

I think it was Ishmael who said the dink looks like a Polyethylene UFO flying along behind the boat. He was right.

Everything looks much better when the dink is being towed or is lashed to the cabin trunk. However, for the life of me, I cannot tell a difference in sailing performance or balance with the dinghy in the davit or not. Perhaps my senses need sharpening.

Steve

May20201420009_zpsu0o3hnpo.jpg?t=1472186

It really is the form vs function debate. If you look at most of the true around the world cruisers, who live aboard, they have lots of junk, because they are needed, or at least useful amenities that make cruising better. Most of these folks have traded aesthetics for comfort. The weekend and occasional cruise set generally choose aesthetics and deal with the inconveniences of less or no solar power, more difficult to launch and retrieve tenders, etc. there are exceptions on both sides, but what from what I have seen it is a pretty clear relationship.

Part of the compromise is working around all that stuff while sailing and docking. Long distance sailors who do not spend much time in marinas not only need the extra gear, they also do not need to deal with it in tight quarters. We live in an area with lots of small marinas and towns to explore by boat so having good sight lines and access to cleats and mooring lines is important. I have seen some boats with enough gear on the back, or those dodger-bimmin-tent things, that there is no hope of ever reaching the cleat or hanging a fender to protect the aft end.

Heaps of other areas have amalgamated form and function on boats - arches seem the red-headed stepson of these categories.

I don't much like the look of arches and other COTB but I must say arches and other roll bars look a whole lot better from onboard.

Arches can be so eminently practical that I don't have a problem with them as a concept. Unfortunately, execution is all over the map in terms of aesthetics, sometimes even to the point of sacrificing practicality for a double fail.

The aesthetics of an arch fit more with the 'euro-style' which I hate. A traditional boom gallows won't fit in with a euro-style, but would fit in with most others. It's very shipshape looking. I see no reason why you couldn't engineer one to also fit a traveller, though it would be more robust and expensive.

I found a real winner here:

http://swiftsureyachts.com/products/camdeboo-lavranos-50/#jp-carousel-22947

1. It's outrageously disproportionate to everything else on the boat

2. It increases LOA by at least a meter

3. The rest of the boat is otherwise pretty good looking, making it all the more egregious

4. It appears to be designed for the questionable task of hoisting the dinghy ~4m above the water for ocean passages

This is a steel hulled vessel so the arch is undoubtedly strong and well anchored to the hull. A case study in "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Looks like they took the wing off a top fuel dragster.

Ajax, no time for a lengthy response as I'm off to get a footprint gas pedal installed.......

Steve

Yep, that guy has almost enough stuff on board to go cruisin' ! But... I don't see where he's stashed his surfboards or dive tanks... :unsure:

1799_1970PlymouthSuperBird_low_res.jpg

The thing about that one is that today you'll pay pretty close to 100x the original price give or take a little.

That looks a lot like my last boat when I bought it. A 10K Lb. 30 footer with enough COTB for a 50'

After I stripped off the davits, hard dink, radar and mast, 3' X 5' hard solar panel, towed generator, Hydrovane etc. the stern rose up about 5".

post-95343-0-83608100-1472756626_thumb.jpg

post-95343-0-83608100-1472756626_thumb.jpg

Sloop, I'm always amazed (shocked) when someone manages to fit a dinghy on davits aft of a windvane. I once saw a 30ish foot double ender with the same treatment. The length of the davits was incredible. With dinghy, the Loa was close to 10 feet longer! Sadly, I have no picture as it would certainly win a prize here.

Steve

I found a real winner here:http://swiftsureyachts.com/products/camdeboo-lavranos-50/#jp-carousel-22947

3. The rest of the boat is otherwise pretty good looking, making it all the more egregious

4. It appears to be designed for the questionable task of hoisting the dinghy ~4m above the water for ocean passages

This is a steel hulled vessel so the arch is undoubtedly strong and well anchored to the hull. A case study in "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Looks like a rat trap ready to spring down on the cockpit.

Incredibly high cut Genoa as well - why would you do that?

That looks a lot like my last boat when I bought it. A 10K Lb. 30 footer with enough COTB for a 50'

After I stripped off the davits, hard dink, radar and mast, 3' X 5' hard solar panel, towed generator, Hydrovane etc. the stern rose up about 5".

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Impressive craftsmanship on that bottom bracket to make it reach the hull. (I'm not certain, but I don't think they got this custom designed) ;)

1799_1970PlymouthSuperBird_low_res.jpg

The thing about that one is that today you'll pay pretty close to 100x the original price give or take a little.

Those things languished on the dealers lots - sometimes for literally years - because they were regarded as so ridiculously uncool by the car guys of the day.

Rarity becomes its own currency after a long time but oftentimes things are rare simply because they were so dickless when they were new that no-one wanted them..

I found a real winner here:http://swiftsureyachts.com/products/camdeboo-lavranos-50/#jp-carousel-22947

Called a Yankee on a double head rig. Don't know why they are high cut but I suspect some theory about interference with the staysail

Called a Yankee on a double head rig. Don't know why they are high cut but I suspect some theory about interference with the staysail

Yes, a Yankee Jib. Supposed to interfere less with staysail. I'm not so sure, I've used a windward staysail in conjunction with a low-clewed Genoa with no ill effect until trimmed hard. The advantage I see is that lead position is a lot more forgiving...the sail won't twist as much when the sheet is eased, don't need to move the lead forward.

Yankees work well on a reach without outriggers, jib tops also have a high flew for the same reason.

Round Stern Ketch

This isn't a case of JOTT so much as Junk of the Side Deck. Can anyone identify what the dark, rectangular gear is? It seems to be duplicated on the port side.

And, as a side note, is there a case to be made for such a high aspect ratio on a mizzen?

A set of boarding stairs?

Looks like fuel/water jugs with covers.

The hailing port is Annapolis and I took the picture in Newport, RI, so she is some distance from home.

And, as a side note, is there a case to be made for such a high aspect ratio on a mizzen?

Height is appropriate for a ketch at ~2/3 main, boom for a yawl at 1/2 main.

If external rudder hung on stern then forced to be a "ketch" but would look better with mizzen at yawl height, or moved forward 1/3.

Depth charges?

I found a real winner here:

http://swiftsureyachts.com/products/camdeboo-lavranos-50/#jp-carousel-22947

You don't hang around cruisers much. That would not make the top 1en in my current anchorage.

9129_1.jpg

That is hideous!!

9129_1.jpg

That is hideous!!

That would make fitting a 2 part dodger pretty easy.

we have about 4-5 sailboats with that crap in my yard, never seen them leave the dock.....just an accumulation of un-necessary shit and a sign of mental illness.

I prefer my lines clean.....don't even want a goofy dodger.....

I gotta say........going to weather closehauled in 25kn with a steep chop.......I'm very thankful for my dodger........

Here is a double arch setup I think was well executed. I pretty much love everything about this J/160, docked a few slips down from us. Retirement/liveaboard/world cruiser perfection in my book.post-121273-0-65465700-1472957182_thumb.jpeg

They are very protected in case they roll over on a gravel road.

Here is a double arch setup I think was well executed. I pretty much love everything about this J/160, docked a few slips down from us. Retirement/liveaboard/world cruiser perfection in my book.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Maybe if you spent a lot of years in prison.

9129_1.jpg

That is hideous!!

That would make fitting a 2 part dodger pretty easy.

That arch looks like it will rip off the boat the first time the main is flogged in 30 kts of breeze while trying to reef.

Get on your boat(s) and sail out of your marina(s) and make a pact that your boat will swing on anchor for at least 13 nights out of 14 (with you on board, of course). That 1 night in 14 will be for restocking the pantry. Refilling the water tanks. Refilling the deisel tanks and doing the laundry. You have no gen-set and you have 50 gallons of water tankage and 25 gallons of diesel. Your boat is no more than 40' long . You may find that you end up with some compromises where aesthetic is sacrificed for reality of that lifestyle. Just sayin'

Get on your boat(s) and sail out of your marina(s) and make a pact that your boat will swing on anchor for at least 13 nights out of 14 (with you on board, of course). That 1 night in 14 will be for restocking the pantry. Refilling the water tanks. Refilling the deisel tanks and doing the laundry. You have no gen-set and you have 50 gallons of water tankage and 25 gallons of diesel. Your boat is no more than 40' long . You may find that you end up with some compromises where aesthetic is sacrificed for reality of that lifestyle. Just sayin'

Yeah, but if we do some actual cruising we won't have the opportunity to do some bitching on CA.

^ I think that's the rub Weyalan - there's often noble need for the gear, so how to do it with style?

There are many elements I don't like about the J160's double arch a few posts upwards, but I do appreciate the two arches are at least designed in the same style (somewhat) and that the rear one incorporates the pushpit structure.

So if you have a bunch of crap that doesn't fit in your garage, you just leave it in the driveway and front lawn.

What's your point?

So if you have a bunch of crap that doesn't fit in your garage, you just leave it in the driveway and front lawn.

You are comparing apples to wildebeest. Last time I checked, neither solar panels nor wind generators work particularly well inside a garage. Where do you store your dinghy when you are on your multi-month extended cruising journeys?

Its facile to take the piss out of people / boats when from the safety of the dock or the occasional daysail, but if you live on your boat, and I don't mean as a floating condo tied to a dock or a mooring, but actually moving from place to place regularly, then there are a bunch of compromises that have to be made (unless you are one of the lucky few, the very lucky very few who have spectacularly deep pockets).

^ Deep pockets helps to get a deep lazarette and/or dinghy garage. But that's not what this thread is about.

We've got anarchic appreciation societies for ugly boats, dodgers, and zombies - but how about cruisers' transom jewellery with their goodies stacked on an arch?

Those in the 35-50' range are often flamed for their derrière devices and the looks/performance that they swallow. Sure, you can cruise without them, but how can an arch be done well? Or how else can solar panels/davits/radars/washing/etc be aesthetically incorporated on a midsize cruiser?

Feel free to post examples of good/bad/ugly. (Though if non-nautical, please just go with the good!)

We have a box on the aft deck. It's pretty handy for storing docks lines, propane canisters for the grill and such. I thought about mounting a solar panel on it. But we sit on it, rest drinks on it and food for the grill(which mounts on a nearby stanchion).

There aren't many good spots for solar panels, davits(mizzen - we tow everywhere, anyway), much less, towers on old boats like ours. New boats are much better at that.

I wouldn't want to live on my boat beyond a few weeks at a time. I like it unencumbered with stuff. It's fun to sail.

29464947556_a517e0bf40_h.jpg

Nice one Kris! Nice and simple box with a bright finish looks much prettier than a plastic fish chest. I can imagine for your style of cruising that the varnish lasts a fair while.

Weyalayan, your point is well taken but consider the rarity of someone actually cruising extensively and continuously in their latest wet dream with all that crap on the back. Most of the time you see those boats out on the bay for a daysail and I frankly suspect the skippers might often be spending too much time studying their cockpit MFDs and not enough looking at their flogging headsails, scalloped mains and other boaters.

Personally, for the two to three weeks of the year I am actually away from the dock, I would prefer not to have TV. or internet. And a Sunshower works just fine after a swim, and kerosene lamps add ambience to dinner time around the cockpit table. Those are tradeoffs I'm happy to make, especially if it means not having to drag all that ugly stuff around the other 49 weeks. But, different horses..........

I do believe there are no bad reasons to own a boat as long as you get pleasure from it.

Weyalayan, your point is well taken but consider the rarity of someone actually cruising extensively and continuously in their latest wet dream with all that crap on the back. Most of the time you see those boats out on the bay for a daysail and I frankly suspect the skippers might often be spending too much time studying their cockpit MFDs and not enough looking at their flogging headsails, scalloped mains and other boaters.

Personally, for the two to three weeks of the year I am actually away from the dock, I would prefer not to have TV. or internet. And a Sunshower works just fine after a swim, and kerosene lamps add ambience to dinner time around the cockpit table. Those are tradeoffs I'm happy to make, especially if it means not having to drag all that ugly stuff around the other 49 weeks. But, different horses..........

I do believe there are no bad reasons to own a boat as long as you get pleasure from it.

I agree with all of the above. Mrs Weyalan & I recently spent about 8 months living on the boat and almost half of that time was travelling, staying out of marinas. We ended up with 2 x 80 watt solar panels that pivoted out from the sides of the stern pulpits, and a magma-kettle style barbecue on the aft side of one of the stern pulpits - this was the full extent of our junk on our trunk. The solar panels were usually locked down in transit and pivoted out at anchor, unless the weather was particularly clement. No davits for us, just stowed dinghy on foredeck... our rig has backstay, running backstays and checkstays, so no real way to fit davits even if we had wanted to...

Nice one Kris! Nice and simple box with a bright finish looks much prettier than a plastic fish chest. I can imagine for your style of cruising that the varnish lasts a fair while.

Our locale (Maine) is easy on the varnish. And our style of cruising - coastal, not far or long from home- allows a spartan boat.

That last shot was of one of our better sails in a few weeks coastal cruising this season. We were in Blue Hill Bay with light winds - around 5+ knots - that blew from inland.

That makes the bay a lake. Flat! I love that; sailing in light air on flat water! We ran the whole bay right up to the harbor on a mostly broad reach. We got a little more power using the mizzen staysail.

Speeds varied from lows of about 3.5 knots, to highs of about 6 knots in the gusts. We didn't see another sailboat until we were close to Blue Hill Harbor (that's typical-it's off the beaten path).

28917046193_6189fc75fe_h.jpg

We anchored in the inner bay (for a couple days) with just one other boat in the anchorage (also typical).

The other boat is what I would call a long distance cruising boat, at least compared to ours. They obviously have refrigeration, a full enclosed cockpit that is more like a porch and plenty of charging sources. Once you get that structure started, maybe with davits in mind, you might as well fill it in with stuff.

All in all the arch makes this boat a far better dwelling than our boat. I never met the people so I don't know if the boat sailed in. It's usually tricky sailing. Our boat is pared down weight wise and loves 5 knots of wind. But I'm sitting in my kitchen, now. :)

I get both ideas.

29539498465_c3b6e204e2_h.jpg

I agree with all of the above. Mrs Weyalan & I recently spent about 8 months living on the boat and almost half of that time was travelling, staying out of marinas. We ended up with 2 x 80 watt solar panels that pivoted out from the sides of the stern pulpits, and a magma-kettle style barbecue on the aft side of one of the stern pulpits - this was the full extent of our junk on our trunk. The solar panels were usually locked down in transit and pivoted out at anchor, unless the weather was particularly clement. No davits for us, just stowed dinghy on foredeck... our rig has backstay, running backstays and checkstays, so no real way to fit davits even if we had wanted to...
I rather like the idea of removeable panels that can be clamped on pushpit when needed. They're flat, so should be easy to find stowage for them.

Both ends of this boat have had significant third world engineering/construction. This boat has been modified beyond the ability to call it a SWAN any more. After viewing the deck foto's I shudder to imagine the interior.

It's packed and stacked to the headliner with old newspapers.

SCANAS has broken the internet. That thing is named "Anaconda" because it swallowed an entire 2nd hand chandler's shop in a single gulp.

One of pics, of the boat underway, makes it look like a little better, at least from a sail handling perspective.

1_3.jpg

One of pics, of the boat underway, makes it look like a little better, at least from a sail handling perspective.

1_3.jpg

I have a feeling that pic was taken years ago.

Some ads on Yachtworld have photos of boats with timestamps showing that the photos were taken 10+ years ago.

That's a "boom gallows" not a "boom dolly".

I thought her name was "Dolly".

Nope... Boom Gallows... as she shall hang your financial life out to pasture post divorce.......

The junked up Anaconda which claims to be a Swan 48 is for sale in Cebu, Philippines...

The junked up Anaconda which claims to be a Swan 48 is for sale in Cebu, Philippines...

I noticed they called it a Swan 48/Columbia 48. Right now it's neither, but you'd think they knew what they started with.