• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Norse Horse

2017 Race to Alaska

1,339 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Varan said:

I get the "it totally suits the old boat" and that's cool. Still fugly, but that's cool too. Best of luck.

Totally fugly.  I bought the boat for a thousand as a small 'n simple "temporary" in-the-water boat as I rebuild my cruising boat, to keep us sailing in the meanwhile.  It's grown on me.

Of course, we had to name it "Calico", being a Cal, with an orange deck, white hull, and black bottom paint...

If I make it to R2AK 2018 it'll prolly stay orange (no time to repaint before then); if not until 2019, I'll subject it to a paint job and a new identity! :-).  R2AK is the motivation I need to get the boat out of the water and start pulling the ancient keel boats...and maybe even paint the deck, with my 14 year old kid's help...

8 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

If you get better than 2 knots rowing you will be doing good. Expect as much as 40 to 60 miles of rowing if you are solo.

The cal20 in 2016 had a self steering vane to go outside.  Family emergency  made for a DNF unfortunately. 

Good luck hope to be there too again.

Interesting info - I do recall the Cal20, Team WhyKnot, last year, (and wondered why they didn't finish)...more importantly, I didn't know they had a windvane rigged.

I actually do have a vane of sorts, stashed away with random boat stuff, a very home-made wood and metal servo-pendulum type I bought from an old guy a few years ago for a hundred bucks, intending one day to beef it up with more welded parts, or use use it as a "prototype" to build a new one...just to learn more about how vanes work and try it on the Cal20 (not wanting to actually spend real money on a real production-made vane..)

Just because no one else has posted a link I will:

Russell Brown's return trip to Port Townsend

Worth watching (for me at least) to see they fared given their motor burned up halfway home.   You do get to see more details of the G32's systems in operation (because with two people on board doing camera work was far easer).

--

Bill S.

Great video thanks for posting. What was that little harbor they went into with the very narrow entrance between Tribune Bay and Gabriola?

14 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

Not saying....

If I had to guess, might be Squitty Bay on the south end of Lasqueti Island.

--
Bill

Hey, No guessing!

Aha. It's good they went there and not Dolphin beach as we just drove around there and it looks like that's where old people go to be with their parents. (As Mel Torme once said about Sarasota).

It's on.

Thank you Russell and Ashlyn! Your lives fuel many dreams.

Norse Horse you rock, too funny!!!!! (and filled with bears)

6 hours ago, Veeger said:

Eddie would Go!

Remember Eddie was the only one that didn't make it.

On 2017-09-09 at 1:34 PM, Norse Horse said:

It's on.

Good fun!  Just need someone (who is planning to go?) to start a 2018 thread.  

(I'll start the 2019 one; timing just doesn't work for 2018...but maybe leg one only, just for fun?)

make it stop!

2015/2016 team Golden Oldies

Be afraid, not of the Orcas or the bears, but of the need to participate.

Be careful of what you wish for!20170305_091549.thumb.jpg.ea2d1e9738f9f7a895afa1f897e164d7.jpg

2 minutes ago, multihuler said:

make it stop!

2015/2016 team Golden Oldies

Be careful of what you wish for!20170305_091549.thumb.jpg.ea2d1e9738f9f7a895afa1f897e164d7.jpg

Trim looks a little bow up.

9 hours ago, multihuler said:

Be careful of what you wish for!

Yup.   This summer I randomly/accidentally ran into two people, in two different anchorages (what are the chances?) who did R2AK in 2016 (I learned soon after talking with each of them)

And after that, I feel like I've had a burning fever  :-). I suddenly spring awake, terrified not by killer aquatic grizzlies and evil whales, but of the fear of the need to participate! :-)  (I've sailed as far north as Glacier Bay and have a good idea of how heinous the coast can be...and we had a motor and were not on a Cal 20!)

In fact, I've had my eye on a small, fast boat for Pacific Cup........or refurbing our little old Cal 20 for R2AK.  *Totally* different plans.  But I know which one sounds way more fun...

5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

or refurbing our little old Cal 20 for R2AK.  *Totally* different plans.  But I know which one sounds way more fun...

There's been some talk of a "OD" Cal 20  fleet for R2AK. Since the boats are so cheap and plentiful it would be a great base to mod out for the challenge. Ideas that have been thrown around for the "OD rules" are are upgrading to an asym on a sprit and Hobie Mirage Drive's for pedal power. Would be cool if it actually happened!

The old "Nice Pair" is looking pretty impressive in that photo, Stephen!  Be thankful of those bows.

On 8 September 2017 at 7:04 AM, bistros said:

Worth watching (for me at least) to see they fared given their motor burned up halfway home.   You do get to see more details of the G32's systems in operation (because with two people on board doing camera work was far easer).

--

Bill S.

Bill: Thanks for the link. A pedal drive system is next on my agenda.

Russell and Ashlyn: Congratulations on such a well turned out boat and video.

Lovely country..... One day......  And the 2018 R2AK promo video is brilliant as well.

4 hours ago, swangtang said:

There's been some talk of a "OD" Cal 20  fleet for R2AK. Since the boats are so cheap and plentiful it would be a great base to mod out for the challenge. Ideas that have been thrown around for the "OD rules" are are upgrading to an asym on a sprit and Hobie Mirage Drive's for pedal power. Would be cool if it actually happened!

Hmm, a OD mod'd Cal 20 fleet is actually a cool idea. 

I plan to haul the boat this winter and drop keel/change keel bolts (wish me luck...)...was tossing around the idea of building a new (better/faster) rudder, but I love the idea of a sprit pole mod (better).  (Trying to help my kid learn as much about boat engineering/mods over the winter, and such projects would be good for that.)

Hobie Mirage drive...I'll have to look into that.

BTW, when you say, "there's been some talk", by whom/where?  If somewhere online, I'd be curious to read, to giver some ideas, etc.

16 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

BTW, when you say, "there's been some talk", by whom/where?  If somewhere online, I'd be curious to read, to giver some ideas, etc.

Ok you caught me, by "theres been some talk" I meant that members of Team Hot Mess, Fly, and Salish Express got drunk in Ketchikan and thought this was the best idea ever. To be fair though we have talked about it a few times since. It would need to be an economy of scale to actually work though, otherwise it could become a big money pit. 

On 9/7/2017 at 5:04 PM, bistros said:

--

Bill S.

Thanks for posting that.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:56 AM, Russell Brown said:

Hey, No guessing!

Russell - Nice video.  And nice tribute at end.  Hope you enjoyed the R2AK.  I hope to do it myself soon.

23 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Geff, you sound nostalgic.

Maybe a bit...but pretty much not at all, Rasp.

Geff, I think I would miss that boat a good bit if it had ever been mine. You might be surprised that I almost bought that boat when it had been finally found in the mangroves in Puerto Rico. It had been stolen (at least a third) by the guy who had the boat built the night after sea trials! He made a lot of noise about things that he didn't like and almost got into a fist fight with the builder after the first day of seatrials. Someone called the cops and told them all to settle down and come down to the boat in the morning and negotiate what needed to be done to finish the sale. Builder gets to dock in the morning and the boat was long gone! Took years to track it down and I'm not sure he ever got his last and final payment for the boat. I would have been buying it from the bank somehow and it got complicated and the boat was a mess after holing up in the mangroves for ages but was safe from Hugo down past Ponce. I do have to say the Puerto Rican Marine Police had done a great job seizing the boat once its hiding place was known and they had kept all the boat gear locked up safely ashore for a couple of years while the courts sorting things out. Lots more to the story.

7 hours ago, swangtang said:

Ok you caught me, by "theres been some talk" I meant that members of Team Hot Mess, Fly, and Salish Express got drunk in Ketchikan and thought this was the best idea ever. To be fair though we have talked about it a few times since. It would need to be an economy of scale to actually work though, otherwise it could become a big money pit. 

Ha!  A bunch of drunk R2AK sailors in a bar in Ketchikan:. I'll bet there was a lot of talk! :-) :-)

(I had the pleasure of randomly meeting Steve on the gov't dock in Comox this summer - saw his tri with R2AK sticker, we started chatting, and then I put 2+2 together, realizing he was the guy whose Cape Horn sailing accounts I randomly came across on the web a few years ago:  small world!  Anyway, it was after talking to him that I thought to myself, "wait a sec, you're right, Steve, I should just get some new sails for this old Cal 20 and do the damn R2AK...").  And then my 13 year old kid, an enthusiastic Laser, etc. sailor, got excited about the idea, so it's now taking on a new shape and a life of its own...stay tuned).  I'm liking the sprit pole idea...

Get that 13-14 year old practicing rowing now...would be the youngest entrant, they[r2ak] will want to see commitment...:D

Wonder if you can take some ballast out of that Cal ??

Cheers

16 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

"wait a sec, you're right, Steve, I should just get some new sails for this old Cal 20 and do the damn R2AK...")

He's right the best boat is the one you already have!

On 9/13/2017 at 5:05 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Geff, I think I would miss that boat a good bit if it had ever been mine. You might be surprised that I almost bought that boat when it had been finally found in the mangroves in Puerto Rico. It had been stolen (at least a third) by the guy who had the boat built the night after sea trials! He made a lot of noise about things that he didn't like and almost got into a fist fight with the builder after the first day of seatrials. Someone called the cops and told them all to settle down and come down to the boat in the morning and negotiate what needed to be done to finish the sale. Builder gets to dock in the morning and the boat was long gone! Took years to track it down and I'm not sure he ever got his last and final payment for the boat. I would have been buying it from the bank somehow and it got complicated and the boat was a mess after holing up in the mangroves for ages but was safe from Hugo down past Ponce. I do have to say the Puerto Rican Marine Police had done a great job seizing the boat once its hiding place was known and they had kept all the boat gear locked up safely ashore for a couple of years while the courts sorting things out. Lots more to the story.

That's GREAT!  I had heard that one of many stories about her from Mike B, the builder (as you know).  He and I would talk and almost always, the last words coming out of our mouths would be "If she could talk, oh the stories she would tell!..."  Thanks for adding even more of the details into that yarn.  Please don't get me wrong, there is a lot I miss about her and our time together.  And many still talk of her here on the Great Lakes, and the excellent times plus giving her a real life to live.  I hear she is now down in Texas somewhere.

20 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Get that 13-14 year old practicing rowing now...would be the youngest entrant, they[r2ak] will want to see commitment...:D

Wonder if you can take some ballast out of that Cal ??

Cheers

Once I have a look at your boat's rowing set up (some weekend this fall?) and ideally also that of Team Kelp's Santana 20, our project will begin (winter).  And then rowing and push ups/sit ups training! :-).  Am actually (was before) considering a local half marathon next fall, which might help with pain management... 

Maybe grind off some of the heavy 1960s glass lay up, to shave off some weight :-).  :-)

Not sure if you're joking about removing ballast.  It's mainly the lead keel bulb, of course, but I actually wonder if some ballast could be removed, considering a Sanatana 20 is basically the same size boat/same sail area as a Cal 20.....900 lbs of ballast vs. 550.  And 1900 lbs total vs. 1350.

Geff,

I was living in Stuart Fl and had just started a drive up to the Alabama Gulf Coast to see my girlfriend, (long distance romance) and was maybe on the Interstate for about 5 miles when I was something big and white heading south. It didn't take long for me to recognise NICE PAIR on the trailer and I got all excited to see her again. I got off at the next exit and risked a ticket (you guys must have been doing 75 mph!) and tried to catch up with you. You must have been on your way to the Ft Laud-Key West race and as I had raced a couple of Miami-Nassau races with Dave Calvert on GREEN FLASH wanted to get on your team for the Florida races. Girlfriend could wait! I must have driven a half hour with no sign of you guys or the boat so finally turned back around and headed North. You guys must have pulled off for gas just before my first 180 because there you were again after I got headed North. Too bad we never hooked up back then. I considered teaming up with Multihauler but I just couldn't deal with the R2AK. Guess I'll have to look up the guys in Texas and see if I can finally get a ride after 25 years chasing the old Wahoo around! 

14 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Once I have a look at your boat's rowing set up (some weekend this fall?) and ideally also that of Team Kelp's Santana 20, our project will begin (winter).  And then rowing and push ups/sit ups training! :-).  Am actually (was before) considering a local half marathon next fall, which might help with pain management... 

Maybe grind off some of the heavy 1960s glass lay up, to shave off some weight :-).  :-)

Not sure if you're joking about removing ballast.  It's mainly the lead keel bulb, of course, but I actually wonder if some ballast could be removed, considering a Sanatana 20 is basically the same size boat/same sail area as a Cal 20.....900 lbs of ballast vs. 550.  And 1900 lbs total vs. 1350.

I was pulling your leg a bit...If you are planning to go outside then don't worry about ballast. Reading more about your boat it seems she likes to be sailed flat. It would be more important to have a really good bottom and light air sails so you can sail instead of rowing at 2kn max.

Rowing a beamy sailboat is a bastardized setup, staying as far forward in the cockpit as you can and still clearing the gunwales. The oars will likely not cross properly in front of you as you row, so technique is a compromise. I can't offer any proper advice for your setup other than to say try it out a few times beforehand.  You will need a setup that fits both of you, so the foot brace will need to slide significantly.

I had a fixed thwart in 2016 with 10 ft oars, the locks about 8 inches behind the back edge of the thwart and the oarlocks on top of the cockpit coaming, to clear the gunwale enough to place the oar deep enough in the water. I improved this with 12ft oars, a sliding seat, a better removable foot rest with straps and removed the coaming detail. The oarlocks are still too far out and the oar handles are more than a foot apart at the end of the stroke. I used a regular paddle sometimes, on the leeward side, in light wind, to use different muscles for a while.

You could watch the r2ak video of top rowers like Colin Angus, Mathieu Bonnier or esp. Nate Rooks in the whaler, to pick up some technique ideas, they make it look easy to do.

Cheers

20 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Geff,

I was living in Stuart Fl and had just started a drive up to the Alabama Gulf Coast to see my girlfriend, (long distance romance) and was maybe on the Interstate for about 5 miles when I was something big and white heading south. It didn't take long for me to recognise NICE PAIR on the trailer and I got all excited to see her again. I got off at the next exit and risked a ticket (you guys must have been doing 75 mph!) and tried to catch up with you. You must have been on your way to the Ft Laud-Key West race and as I had raced a couple of Miami-Nassau races with Dave Calvert on GREEN FLASH wanted to get on your team for the Florida races. Girlfriend could wait! I must have driven a half hour with no sign of you guys or the boat so finally turned back around and headed North. You guys must have pulled off for gas just before my first 180 because there you were again after I got headed North. Too bad we never hooked up back then. I considered teaming up with Multihauler but I just couldn't deal with the R2AK. Guess I'll have to look up the guys in Texas and see if I can finally get a ride after 25 years chasing the old Wahoo around! 

Another great story about her, Rasp!  That wasn't when I owned her.  It must have either been before me, as she was being converted over to becoming Wahoo, or when Multihauler took ownership of her from me.  We'll keep each other posted when and if we find out about how she is doing in Texas.

On 9/15/2017 at 5:15 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Will do, skipper.

Did you used to have the early f-31 with foils?

"Nice Pair" was my first and only boat.  I did sail on Cheeky Monkee from time to time, but never outside of the Great Lakes...if that is the one with foils you are referring too.

Wow, you sure picked a hot ride for your first and only boat! I knew that there was some sort of connection between you and Cheeky Monkee, that must have led you to getting Nice Pair. Once you go Multi, it is hard to go back, right?

22 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Wow, you sure picked a hot ride for your first and only boat! I knew that there was some sort of connection between you and Cheeky Monkee, that must have led you to getting Nice Pair. Once you go Multi, it is hard to go back, right?

Right on!  My offshore multi experience went like this...  Condor 40 ("Intruder"), Walter Greene Formula/Orma 60 ("Earth Voyager"), Crowther Super Shockwave 38 ("Nice Pair"-My boat), Newick 50 ("Manitou/Lucky Strike"), various other F boats and mults ("Moxie," "Cheekee," "Arete'" etc.)