• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Norse Horse

2017 Race to Alaska

1,339 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, andykane said:

Are you following the same race as me? I've been pleasantly surprised with the coverage and it's definitely a step up from past years. The new FB feed on the tracker has had a ton of info including team-specific when you click on a boat on the map. For a low budget, unsupported race, there's been live video updates, photos, and posts all day long from the organizers and racers. 

As far as woefully unqualified, I think you're wildly underestimating the difficulty of making any progress into 35 knots and a contrary tide. In those kind of conditions it absolutely makes sense to seek shelter and wait it out. 

Sometimes the "Reported" time in the tracker doesn't update, but the postion on the map still does. Refreshing usually updates the timestamp, but each time the page loads, it puts another call to Google Maps and leads to the kind of outage that happened yesterday. When the tracker just updates normally, without hitting the refresh button, it doesn't place a new call to Google Maps and should keep updating fine even if the quota is exceeded.

I don't see the FB feed on the tracker, but it is easy enough to find anyway.  That makes a difference in experience; thanks for pointing it out.

20 minutes ago, groundhog said:

I don't see the FB feed on the tracker, but it is easy enough to find anyway.  That makes a difference in experience; thanks for pointing it out.

http://tracker.r2ak.com/

That's odd as it's on the right hand side of the page for me.  I also think the coverage is excellent.

As in the past, the daily description (the Daily Fix) is as brilliant as the race itself.

That said, the first R2AK will always be my favorite.  

10 minutes ago, LindyD said:
37 minutes ago, groundhog said:

That's odd as it's on the right hand side of the page for me.  I also think the coverage is excellent.

As in the past, the daily description (the Daily Fix) is as brilliant as the race itself.

That said, the first R2AK will always be my favorite.  

Figured it out, Lindy.  Had to turn ad-blocker off for that page. Much better!

1 minute ago, LindyD said:

If you use an ad block or something like Ghostery the FB feed is not visible since embedded FB content works like a tracker - but usually the privacy protection software allows to make exceptions for selected websites, so you can just turn it off for the tracker page.

However, coverage of the first leg was a bit confusing for me - so many different tactics: going out, going back, going fast, going slow, going everywhere, going nowhere. And all this without a central coverage about who is still in the race and who postponed, cancelled, dropped out... . I think these infos should be collected (they all have handhelds?) by radio at certain times and accordingly published from the war room.

Well, the picture has cleared considerably, looking forward  to the real race... .

1 hour ago, groundhog said:

First web site race update is posted.

At least one crew popped at least one pill to ease the weight of the last one, to three-too-many and the nagging regret of their free R2AK tattoos obtained at yesterday’s official R2AK party; needled ink logos of hoped-for glory that were now as raw and swollen as the weather forecast.

Good grief!  Getting a tatoo the night before departure!?  I've never had one but can't imagine that starting the R2AK the next morning will be good for the healing process?  I can understand the poor judgement of deciding under the influence to get one... but who in the world thought it would be a good idea to offer that service at a "ruckus" party the night before the start?  Yep, conditions on the race course are far from ideal for optimal healing of a tatoo:

How to care for your tattoo
http://uniqueinktattoo.com/tattoos/tattoo-aftercare/

I would think that the type of person that would participate in the R2AK might be more into 'scarification'.

This guy is in the spirit...

what-are-you-afraid-scarification-tattoo

A little more traditional

Image result for scarification tattoo anchor

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

Good grief!  Getting a tatoo the night before departure!?  I've never had one but can't imagine that starting the R2AK the next morning will be good for the healing process?  I can understand the poor judgement of deciding under the influence to get one... but who in the world thought it would be a good idea to offer that service at a "ruckus" party the night before the start?  Yep, conditions on the race course are far from ideal for optimal healing of a tatoo:

How to care for your tattoo
http://uniqueinktattoo.com/tattoos/tattoo-aftercare/

Real bad idea.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/new-tattoo-warnings-man-dies-flesh-eating-bacteria-after-swimming-gulf-mexico-418338

I was at the ruckus (at least for a while), it wasn't that crazy. Typical nerdy sailor party with a mix of PT food and beer. most of the crews were back working on their boats. Tattoos were free. 

Alex, 6 to 24 knots!

Get ready and put your coffee to one side...;)

The ODay 27  with a race report. West Coast Wild Ones - Home | Facebook

Kudos to Team Chum for holding it stick up long enough to be rescued, after rowing that sailboat in light/no airs over 20 miles. A wind patch away from crossing successfully, most took that chance.

One more stirring report from leg one of storm survival.

Interesting weather forecast for the first few days of the Ketchikan race.  Could be frustrating for the sailors.

FYI, my slightly updated page of R2AK-related links (charts, web cams, weather, etc.): http://wingojo.com/r2ak/
including a Google Map of various routes on the course, also available as a .kmz file for Google Earth.

And the outlook for "the gate" at Seymour Narrows:

This year (2017), the currents at Seymour Narrows look like this - Ebb flows north (favorable, in green), Flood flows south (adverse, in red):

2017-06-12 Mon 4:46 AM PDT 5.7 knots Max Flood
2017-06-12 Mon 7:24 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-12 Mon 10:51 AM PDT -8.8 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-12 Mon 1:44 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-12 Mon 5:04 PM PDT 11.4 knots Max Flood
2017-06-12 Mon 8:39 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-12 Mon 11:49 PM PDT -9.4 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-13 Tue 3:05 AM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-13 Tue 5:29 AM PDT 5.4 knots Max Flood
2017-06-13 Tue 8:07 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-13 Tue 11:32 AM PDT -8.1 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-13 Tue 2:24 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-13 Tue 5:45 PM PDT 10.6 knots Max Flood
2017-06-13 Tue 9:19 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 12:31 AM PDT -9.1 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-14 Wed 3:51 AM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 6:18 AM PDT 5.2 knots Max Flood
2017-06-14 Wed 8:58 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 12:18 PM PDT -7.4 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-14 Wed 3:10 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 6:31 PM PDT 9.8 knots Max Flood
2017-06-14 Wed 10:01 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-15 Thu 1:17 AM PDT -8.8 knots Max Ebb

So to avoid an opposing flood current, the first three opportunities to get past this "gate" appear to be:

• Monday morning at 7:24 AM (when the ebb begins) until 1:44 PM (when the flood begins)
  • Monday night at 8:39 PM (~33 hours after the start) until Tuesday morning at 3:05 AM (when the flood begins)
  • Tuesday morning at 8:07 AM (44 hours after the start) until Tuesday afternoon at 2:24 PM (when the flood begins)

In 2016, Team MAD Dog got though Seymour Narrows only ~24(?) hours after the start!
In 2015, Team Elsie Piddock made it to Seymour Narrows in just under 30 hours (~148 miles via the Trincomali Channel and Porlier Pass).

6 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

One more stirring report from leg one of storm survival.

Wow.  Ok, so maybe I can see why my bil just laughs when I suggest we could do this.

10 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Interesting weather forecast for the first few days of the Ketchikan race.  Could be frustrating for the sailors.

FYI, my slightly updated page of R2AK-related links (charts, web cams, weather, etc.): http://wingojo.com/r2ak/
including a Google Map of various routes on the course, also available as a .kmz file for Google Earth.

And the outlook for "the gate" at Seymour Narrows:

This year (2017), the currents at Seymour Narrows look like this - Ebb flows north (favorable, in green), Flood flows south (adverse, in red):

2017-06-12 Mon 4:46 AM PDT 5.7 knots Max Flood
2017-06-12 Mon 7:24 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-12 Mon 10:51 AM PDT -8.8 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-12 Mon 1:44 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-12 Mon 5:04 PM PDT 11.4 knots Max Flood
2017-06-12 Mon 8:39 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-12 Mon 11:49 PM PDT -9.4 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-13 Tue 5:29 AM PDT 5.4 knots Max Flood
2017-06-13 Tue 8:07 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-13 Tue 11:32 AM PDT -8.1 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-13 Tue 2:24 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-13 Tue 5:45 PM PDT 10.6 knots Max Flood
2017-06-13 Tue 9:19 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 12:31 AM PDT -9.1 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-14 Wed 3:51 AM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 6:18 AM PDT 5.2 knots Max Flood
2017-06-14 Wed 8:58 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 12:18 PM PDT -7.4 knots Max Ebb
2017-06-14 Wed 3:10 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2017-06-14 Wed 6:31 PM PDT 9.8 knots Max Flood
2017-06-14 Wed 10:01 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2017-06-15 Thu 1:17 AM PDT -8.8 knots Max Ebb

So to avoid an opposing flood current, the first three opportunities to get past this "gate" appear to be:

• Monday morning at 7:24 AM (when the ebb begins) until 1:44 PM (when the flood begins)
  • Monday night at 8:39 PM (~33 hours after the start) until Tuesday morning at 3:05 AM (when the flood begins)
  • Tuesday morning at 8:07 AM (44 hours after the start) until Tuesday afternoon at 2:24 PM (when the flood begins)

In 2016, Team MAD Dog got though Seymour Narrows only ~24(?) hours after the start!
In 2015, Team Elsie Piddock made it to Seymour Narrows in just under 30 hours (~148 miles via the Trincomali Channel and Porlier Pass).

Thanks Proa, I copied this.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:23 PM, Norse Horse said:

It looks like the F25c Team Freeburd is the first sailboat in, followed by Russell in the G32, go Russell! Bad Kitty and PSR appear to be next, no, it's Bad Kitty beating them ...

Finish line camera here, you can zoom your browser2x to get a better look.

Thehttp://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/about/news/rbcm-channel/web-cam

Hi there.  This finishing order was:  Team Freeburd in their custom Melvin 28, followed by Team Pear Shaped Racing (we got by the G32 just before the no sail zone by peeling from our screacher to the A2), Team PT Watercraft, and Bad Kitty.  TPSR led the sailing contingent a good part of the leg, but the Burds played the approach to Victoria Harbor much better than we did, picked up the westerly first, and cruised over the top of us in stronger breeze.  Very exciting and we were pleased with the Multi 23's performance in those conditions, including 3 hours of rowing.

Heading out for leg 2 tomorrow.  Hoping for good conditions and good results.

MrPelicano

57 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

I think singlehanding this race is crazy, but good luck Russell.

Meant to include the link: http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/5757.html?y=2017&m=6&d=12

They are using the base XTide program, a slightly more advanced version comes with OpenCPN. Open CPN will let you see (within limits) what the tides are doing at any particular time.

bMyBpyo.jpg

Will be hanging in Nanimo to see the Racers go by with WG closed am guessing we should see a few come thru.  It's looking good for human power!

...feeling more than a little self pity,, having aborted a camping weekend with a sore back,,,   popcorn and painkillers,,....get to live up to my name :mellow:

..but hayyyyyy,,,learnt I beat out ~45000 bluejays fans at the border this evening,,,,

...AND  ~2:15 to the start of the main race......... looking for some fun footage of the start! :rolleyes:

1.         .....GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS!!

Conditions of course favour the human powered racers today to make the gains and the heavier boats like the Crowther and the Columbia struggle. The Columbia's dual pedal setup looks good, but will it survive...

It looks like a great light air battle between PSR, FreeBurd, and PT Watercraft the next couple days. Will the larger crews or heavier multis keep pace?

Roger Mann looks like he will have the edge over the G32 for a while in the fastest solo race.

The Nacra Inter 20 will have conditions to pull away from Greener and a good chance at the Buyout. Roger looks to be in this mix and may give them fits.

The keelboat battle will be interesting, with the Left Coast Dart and the plucky ODay giving the faster boats added pressure to put up miles.

What a gentleman finish by Karl and the other 2 boarders coming in at exactly the same time to Victoria.

I haven't found a link to a live video stream of today's start?

Then again, it isn't easy to find the list of finishers for Leg 1.  From the Stage 1, Day 2 summary:
https://r2ak.com/2017-daily-updates/2017-stage-1-day-2-mistakes-were-made/

Headline #2: People finished, or didn’t

Yep. There’s a list and everything.

No link, just a hint that a list exists somewhere...  Found it here ("Finish line Victoria Stats"): 
https://r2ak.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2017-R2AK-Finish-times-to-Victoria.pdf

P.S.  Some web cams that might get interesting today:

Go Team Rush Aweigh! 

Race predictions:  

First finisher:  Saturday 1:30pm Ketchikan time. 

1. Bad Kitty.  If they can keep the boat together, they should be able to take good advantage of the forecasted southerlies later in the week.  Karl (RIP) used to say he'd let anyone drive downwind until the boat speed hit 22.  And for good reason:  this boat is very well behaved and effortlessly does 20 knots off the wind.  If it gets breezy from the south as forecasted, the Melvin 28, G32, F-boats and multi 23 will have to push very hard to keep up.  The extra crew will help too, especially with the lighter forecast.
  2. Freeburd.   Light boat, good sailors.  Should make excellent time in the light stuff, especially off the wind.  They would be my pick to win if there weren't strong southerlies in the forecast.  They are my pick to clear Seymour first.
  3. Big Broderna.  They know the course well, know the boat well, and seemed to revel in the big wind and seas of Hecate last year.  However, the boat is a lot heavier than its main competition and may have a tough time keeping up in the lighter breezes, especially off the wind.  They would be my pick to win if the forecast was for strong NW winds. 
  4. PT Watercraft.  Boat looks great, and Russell is my (and probably everyone else's) sentimental favorite.  But a two-person crew on light wind race will take its toll.  
  5. TPSR.  Should do well in the first half of the race.  Again, with only two on board, it will be hard to stay awake and focused.
  6. 3.5 Aussies.  4 person crew should be an asset
  7. What the Fuca
  8. Phocoena
  9. Willpower (mono)
  10. Sailpro

Best of luck to all.

Russell leading the sails at this moment. Sorry, I thought you were solo, your bio is out of date.:( The Cheat Sheet is what I didn't check. https://r2ak.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2017-R2AK-Boat-Cheat-Sheet.pdf

Can't argue with the prediction above...

but 12c temp down here, so a caveat to add.

Go Teams!! Karl, making them look bad...again

Darn tracker, teams jumping around everywhere.

Go Heart of Gold!!

looks like Karl might beat them around the courner.

Safe trip to all the teams..

41 minutes ago, jude said:

PT Watercraft.  Boat looks great, and Russell is my (and probably everyone else's) sentimental favorite.  But a two-person crew on light wind race will take its toll.  

Aloha Jude.  Glad to hear Russell has company for the long haul, I thought he was singlehanding the whole way, not just the first leg (which is no big deal).

Here's the Cook Street/Dallas Road Webcam; racers visible now: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=1

....^^...yahhh,, and only 736 miles to go!  :unsure:

PSR pulling away from the pack??

The Sailpros are in a mess of current and falling behind. They will be tired by Active Pass,if they make it that far by sundown.

Haro tides right now. http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/2408.html

Typical ebb tides like this...

Here is a sample  but you see some details...image004.jpg

Hell Yeah Karl!!!

Still in the lead 5 hrs into it!!!

The kayakers are slaying too

Sailboats are starting to take the lead.  It's a race to the wind, which looks halfway decent near Richmond.

Not quite sure how my name is showing up as bigshu.  That used to be my account name.  Anyway, many of you know me as shu.  I guess the site software has been "improved".

22 minutes ago, bigshu said:

Not quite sure how my name is showing up as bigshu.  That used to be my account name.  Anyway, many of you know me as shu.  I guess the site software has been "improved".

When the software was updated names reverted back to original. I think you can change back.

Thanks RKoch. Feeling like my old self again.

There has been a split in the leading sailboats, with Pear Shaped Racing tearing it up going inside the islands.  The others continue to head NE to open water and possibly get to the wind sooner???  Since they are going faster, maybe Pear has already found some wind.

Pear seems to be sticking with the shortest distance between two points theory. It seems to be a good one so far. Amazing how well the SUP's are doing. The way the tide is about to shift makes the easterly track seem dubious, but time will tell.

WL

According to the Sailflow forecast, Pear should get to the wind first.  This could be the race.

Team Pure & Wild/Freeburd (Mama Tried, Custom 8.5M (27') Pete Melvin Trimaran) is first to East Point (Saturna Island).

Team Pear Shaped Racing (Multi 23 trimaran (22’ 6”)) is at the entrance to Active Pass, ~15 miles up the inside (Trincomali Channel), but not through it yet.

More wind at East Point right now (but that won't last long), according to: https://www.windy.com/?48.839,-123.168,11

Pure&Wild/Freeburd and TPSR could have a rough night.  I'd rather be on Mama Tried.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d0f97576ac1d4c878c62d2d948c23e9c.JPG

Yikes. 

Roger Mann looks to be doing very well on the inside. Only PSR and a handfull of human powered boats ahead of him. And if shit gets nasty he should be able to find a cove to hunker down in.

Looks some are stoping at Prevost  Island,  so sounds if you have winds and tides against one self, get some rest. 

PT Watercraft (Gougeon 32) and 3 1/2 Aussies (F-31 trimaran) are neck and neck just past East Point Saturna Island.

Pear Shaped Racing is half way through Active Pass.

Ten knots of wind at Pt. Roberts.

Pear Shaped miss the gate at Active Pass and now has to fight 2kts building to 3.6kts adverse current. And no wind. Not fun. 

Team Pure & Wild/Freeburd is working hard in these conditions to stay with the leaders.  I am sure they would welcome the breeze  shown in Randy's forecast right about now!  

IMG_2458.jpg

There is a great back eddy at the tip of Saturna we rode last year.

I am guessing Global and Kelp are looking to anchor before they get flushed like we did.

Nomadic heading for Ruckle P Park, likely N2A as well.

1 hour ago, RandyM81 said:

Pure&Wild/Freeburd and TPSR could have a rough night.  I'd rather be on Mama Tried.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d0f97576ac1d4c878c62d2d948c23e9c.JPG

I'm not seeing anything close to this intensity, from SailFlow or Windy.com.  And not much wind at all where these boats are until 2:00 am or later, then 16 to 18 knot winds around 4:00 am.

Looks like pear shaped has cleared the pass.  I can't believe Karl is still powering ahead looks like he is holding on to secound.

HoG is moving steadily up the inside. PSR and Roger Mann behind , moving slowly. Looks like Russel and the other multis off the tip of Saturna are parked. Not much wind, and the tide may be against them. Anchored?

25 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Looks like pear shaped has cleared the pass.  I can't believe Karl is still powering ahead looks like he is holding on to secound.

Karl is in the lead to Seymour Narrows 

2 minutes ago, multihuler said:

Karl is in the lead to Seymour Narrows 

Yes, I'd say he's the closest. Pretty amazing stamina.

Wasn't one of the keys to Elsie Piddock's win the fact that they rowed all through the first night and were first to the wind, and then through Seymour Narrows. Let them build a lead that was never challenged. It's a tough call to know when to fight on, and when to save your energy. Looks like we'll be able to compare strategies.

Argh. Well I missed the start this year as my son, who is in grade 8, figured out he had too much homework to go to Victoria for the whole weekend. This I think is a significant breakthrough and his presentation does have three slides entitled "Blunders of the Luftwaffe" I II and III, so that's something.

As a sailor and SUP paddler I'm so impressed with Heart of Gold and I really hope he can keep going this year and get a good result if the weather cooperates. If it stays light I think he will do remarkably well in comparison to the other solo guys and a lot of the crewed sailboats. It's too bad the 6 man outrigger team from 2015 had to have the 30 knot headwinds; in 2016 they would have had a great result. I say this having recently been sailing upwind in a Nacra 17 in about 10 knots and getting blown away by the entire field of an OC-6 race.   As another observation, today, I was on an SUP hanging at the weather mark of the F18 race, when the leader came round, they sadly blew up their spin halyard and tried to sail a couple of tacks with just the jib before bailing to the beach. In about 8 knots I was actually faster on the SUP downwind. VMGeeeeeeee

Russell told us in PT that he had crew for leg 1, but was solo for leg 2. 

Ouchie! Pear shaped Racing just hit a log at 8 kts. Headed to Naniamo for inspection! Hoping it is minor and they can get back out quickly!

WL

PSR is also stuck by the Whiskey Golf zone they are skirting under.

They gambled going that far east, there is hardly ever more pressure on the mainland side, the Sunshine Coast. I have sworn at the wind gods many times there.:angry:

Spot on. Wind really filled in. I hope PSR's damage is minor. Roger Mann still right up there...stellar for a solo competitor. HoG must have taken a rest stop, underway again.

11 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Here is the Dodd Narrows, south of Nanaimo, current for Karl and the others. Watch to see if he tries the sneak on the Gabriola side.

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/1611.html

But the current is only 1/3 of a knot?  Would be nice to know more about real conditions on the course vs. forecasts.

current_2017Jun12a.png.827d8639f90c704fd6093fbf1ecd12bc.png

On a personal note, I'm curious about whether or not Russell Brown is singlehanding?  Hope we don't have to wait until he gets to Ketchikan to find out?

+1 re Russell....

There is a park to watch the boats go by, see the video.

Nanaimo tides. The bay south of town dries, very impressive lee shore in a wind. http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/4031.html

Some pics...https://www.google.ca/search?q=joan+point+park&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiyk8PRwbjUAhUQ1mMKHcirAXsQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=659&dpr=1

I talked too Russell in Victoria yesterday on the dock, and yes hes is solo. immaculate boat. looks brand new.

1 hour ago, Frers381 said:

Ouchie! Pear shaped Racing just hit a log at 8 kts. Headed to Naniamo for inspection! Hoping it is minor and they can get back out quickly!

WL

That sucks. Hope it is cosmetic damage only and they can get back out quickly. 

Look at Sistership go! They are in good shape against the Saturna crowd this morning, once they clear the pass.

Good 1st day summary they posted.

"

Day 1: 12 hours and 48 minutes after the start we are anchored in the exact same spot as we were last year along Salt Spring Island. But this year will be different - we hope, we pray. We've got a new game plan . Yes we rowed again, nearly 7 hours, but we strategically hugged the shoreline to maximize the light wind that hid from the others. With our asymmetrical A- Spin up we slipped ahead of many, for several hours - only to be greeted with the dreaded calm of our 2016 journey. Our port rowing station needs attention and we'll need to address the loosening oarlock in the light. I'm on 2nd watch making sure our anchor holds and waiting for the slightest hint if wind. We only need 4-5 knots to get going if the currents cooperate. They're against us now and to continue rowing is self defeating. Right now it's as still as glass. The sound of light snoring competes with the soothing sounds of water flowing up against shore rocks. The bright moon comes and goes behind the blanket of thick grey clouds above. Cold and tired we wait for the natures cycle to change to move our momentum north."
Johanna

16 minutes ago, Keith said:

I talked too Russell in Victoria yesterday on the dock, and yes hes is solo. immaculate boat. looks brand new.

Thanks for that confirmation.  He's crazy! ;)  The work he did to restore that Gougeon 32, both in man-hours and quality, is stunning.
http://gougeon32.blogspot.com/

DSCN2897.jpg.c53f3e1a6334a5b07b8931fb19bad007.jpg

re: video above - when will people ever learn to record video in landscape mode instead of portrait!  So many wasted pixels...

Sad to see TPSR sidelined.  Hope it's temporary.  If Team Pure & Wild/Freeburd doesn't make the evening tide gate at Seymour, their stop should come at no net loss, other than perhaps fatigue and frustration.  The horses have just gotten on the track and it is a long race.   Karl on  Heart of Gold and the other human powered boats are amazing and inspiring.

Nobody is even close to this mornings tide window at Seymour. Perhaps a few boats can make the evening window. Looking like there'll be a logjam of boats for Tuesday morning window.

PSR heading north now?? Edit, nope, maybe dodged the ferry or that mobo.AIS here. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-124.0/centery:49.1/zoom:10

Big Bro must have some breeze now.

Roger on the bad tack and not really ahead of Russell.

Thanks Keith. Begs the question, is Russell officially solo, I suspect not, given crew on the first leg. A gentleman's nod to Roger's effort by him taking crew on leg one?

R2AK Wx update.  Head winds will become southerlies...ahead of a 982mb low.

PSR appears to be pulling into Naniamo now.  It makes sense, if no one is making the morning Seymour gate then it is probably safer for them to do a quick dockside inspection then to keep chasing Freeburd.

7 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

R2AK Wx update.  Head winds will become southerlies...ahead of a 982mb low.

What's the time frame?

Pure & Wild/Freeburd is roughly 85 miles from Seymour Narrows and that tidal gate is favorable from 8:40 pm until 3:00 am.  That's 18+ hours, requiring an average of ~4.6 knots if they could go in a straight line, which of course, they can't.  Looks like a wind hole develops this afternoon around 2:00 pm, southerly develops briefly along Texada island around 7:00 pm but still northerly at Seymour Narrows.

So it looks like the race will restart Tuesday morning at the narrows when the favorable ebb begins at 8:07 am.

12 minutes ago, RKoch said:

What's the time frame?

Looks like the 15th is the worst, then the 16th is much different, according to earthnull??

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2017/06/15/1500Z/wind/surface/level/overlay=mean_sea_level_pressure/orthographic=-141.68,49.80,1565/loc=-133.861,51.321

Just now, Norse Horse said:

I just looked at today's forecast for Nanaimo...looks like the wind starts backing after 2pm, and is south by 4pm. That's probably not soon enough to enable boats to catch tide at Seymour tonight.

14 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Pure & Wild/Freeburd is roughly 85 miles from Seymour Narrows and that tidal gate is favorable from 8:40 pm until 3:00 am.  That's 18+ hours, requiring an average of ~4.6 knots if they could go in a straight line, which of course, they can't.  Looks like a wind hole develops this afternoon around 2:00 pm, southerly develops briefly along Texada island around 7:00 pm but still northerly at Seymour Narrows.

So it looks like the race will restart Tuesday morning at the narrows when the favorable ebb begins at 8:07 am.

2015 favorable was removed from the equation 

20170305_091549.jpg

1 hour ago, multihuler said:

2015 favorable was removed from the equation 

20170305_091549.jpg

Nice. I love a good jumping sailboat pic. They're just like little prancing horses!

Current monohull sailboat leader is Rush Aweigh, the Montgomery 17. LOL! They've been plugging up the inside, I think they even stopped a while last night. They're ahead of all the boats that went around Saturna, including multis, that just can't get anything going out there.

Willpower looks like they're trying to spell something.  Pedal drive not working?

Capture.thumb.JPG.88815533c8d4f44d7aac18254e99cf66.JPG

I'm happy to see Pure&Wild/Freeburd banking miles, but hope that Pear Shaped Racing gets off the dock and back on the water quickly?  Anyone have an update?

Confirmed by Ashlyn that Russell Brown is alone for the long haul on the Gougeon 32:

We were three for leg one.  He is now alone for the 2nd leg.  He lost a prop and prop nut early on and had a replacement.  Has been battling light winds and at present bucking current and choppy conditions as well.  Hoping for improved conditions soon.

So YES, he is presently SOLO.

Cheers,
Ashlyn

Last tracker for PSR shws 8-48, that is bad/good/whoknows/people need to know

Sisters parked it, must be fixing that oarlock or wating for wind. Lots of rocks and current south, boats have been swept on to the shoals.

I feel for the Kelp Girls, that thing will feel like a pig by now.

I thought WG was closed. Another fire to put out for the RaceBoss? Nobody should try tow the boat with a swimmer thru there;)

Will the Crowther tri team be the next to DNF or will they wait for wind? Is the human propulsion busted?

Is lunch over in 10 min?Ugh

Sisters tracker hasn't updated since 9:30, I guess that's why they're still shown there. IDK if they are currently underway or not.

15 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

I'm happy to see Pure&Wild/Freeburd banking miles, but hope that Pear Shaped Racing gets off the dock and back on the water quickly?  Anyone have an update?

....looks like a best case scenario for the Pears,,,, a strong ebb until ~2pm,,, about when the southerly kicks in?  :huh:

Did you guys see the post from Richard Woods about Big Brodurna off Saturna Island last night? I was thinking they seemed to be mighty close on the tracker. 

Also is there anything visual (ideally like windy.com) that shows the tides? Tough to figure out what's going on from afar with no local knowledge. Not much in the way of tides for me on Lake Ontario.

Hopefully the Pears can be ready to go again when the wind and tide cooperate. I wonder how many boats can get through Seymour Narrows this evening?

cheers, Andrew

I was a little off in my earlier estimate about Pure & Wild/Freeburd.  Default setting at webapp.navionics.com is miles instead of nautical miles.  Click "Menu", scroll to "Settings", then click "Units".

Pure & Wild/Freeburd is now nearing the tip of Hornby Island, ~50 nautical miles from Ripple Rock in Seymour Narrows.  They have ~14 hours to make it through before the flood current starts at 3:05 am.  They need to average ~4 knots+ to make it through.

19 minutes ago, Banjo5 said:

Also is there anything visual (ideally like windy.com) that shows the tides?

http://www.sailflow.com/map#49.315,-123.806,9,239719  Menu on left, "Customize (Advanced)", "Forecast" tab, "Sea Surface Currents".  Careful though, don't click "Play" because they limit access to only a few hours unless you have a paid account.

https://www.windy.com/?49.158,-124.805,8 can show current, though coverage is limited in this area.  Right edge of screen, three vertical dots with tooltp "Show / add more layers", then scroll down to "Currents".

Interesting,,,, noon reports show wind still NW to Tsawassen at 4 knots,, 

....but then East Point,, Saturna is showing the southerlies coming in....

Conditions at East Point
Wind    ESE @ 11 knts
Temperature   16°c

Updated   12-Jun-2017 12:00:00

It's great what the human powered aspect brings to this race. Right now we've got Ketch me if you can, in an Nacra 20 beach cat, then just behind them 3.5 Aussies in a F31R trimaran, then just behind them you have West Coast Wild Ones... in an O'Day 27. Between their current standing and their finish in the first leg, I've been really impressed with what they're managing to do in such an everyday kind of boat. And of course Team Discovery impresses as always in 4th place, solo, behind 3 fully crewed racing multihulls, but maybe about to lose that position to Heart of Gold on a SUP??!

With a southerly wind filling in from the back of the fleet, hopefully the Gulf Island crowd will get some respite from the oars. 

a relatively quick change in winds,,, the 1:00 shows W5 at SandHeads,,, S11 at Tsawassen

...likely the new wind comes with the new current, as often seems the case.

HOG approaching Nanaimo in 5th place, will take over 4th if PSR doesn't get repaired and underway soon. Roger Mann (Team Discovery) will have a pretty good angle if the new southerly gets to him. I guess he can always sleep at Cambell River, waiting for tide window at Seymour.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

HOG approaching Nanaimo in 5th place, will take over 4th if PSR doesn't get repaired and underway soon. Roger Mann (Team Discovery) will have a pretty good angle if the new southerly gets to him. I guess he can always sleep at Cambell River, waiting for tide window at Seymour.

What kind of fitness is that?

the boats being used this year are, by and large, showing the TechnoDarwinian genius of this race.  Seawind? Montgomery? Bark? Tricat? It doesn't get much better than this...

How lucky do you have to be to have Richard Woods right there??

Did you read the latest race report, a fucking powerboat ran over the Whitehall Rowers in Victoria Harbour Sunday...

" They were run over by a powerboat, not an exaggeration. While rowing out of the inner harbor, a powerboat ran them down from behind. The boat powered into Oaracle’s stern and then bounced them down the side, clipping their outriggers (the sticky-outy parts of a sliding-seat rowboat that hold the oars. Important for a rowboat.) The skipper emerged from the cabin yelling at the two rowers, they yelled back and left his potential to become a good Samaritan fully intact, the powerboat sped off. Stay classy, Bayliner guy. "

https://r2ak.com/2017-daily-updates/2017-stage-2-day-1-same-but-different-tenacity-tiaras/

Whooooo, Team Rush Aweigh! Go the Monty!!! 

It's 11 hours until the tide window shuts at Seymour. FreeBurd is about 60 mi away. Looking a bit iffy.

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

It's 11 hours until the tide window shuts at Seymour. FreeBurd is about 60 mi away. Looking a bit iffy.

More like 38 NM to the Seymour Narrows entrance, the way I see it.

map_2017Jun12a.png.26018e5102b2676e20f01d1a1eaa1ddb.png

Man, RB in the PT Watercraft lit the afterburners. Tracker posting speeds close to 10 kts and he has made huge gains today.

WL

....things gone pear-shaped for Team Pear?

....5pm, ,,, and the tracker shows them still in Nanaimo,,,

.........rather ominous when wind and current are both favorable.  :huh:

Tortoise and Hare?    ....but who's who?  :mellow:

8 minutes ago, Frers381 said:

Man, RB in the PT Watercraft lit the afterburners. Tracker posting speeds close to 10 kts and he has made huge gains today.

WL

...that's wild,,, they seem to be sailing dead downwind at windspeed, 10 knots. :o