Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norse Horse

2017 Race to Alaska

25 minutes ago, MultiMacGreg said:

Big Broderna has 2 cycle stations putting input into one prop via chain drive. FreeBurd has one cycle driving prop. Will they change out frequently when muscles tire?

Burd muscles dont tire!

Latest pings show Pure & Wild /Freeburd ahead with a 3 minute earlier ping.  So they have a significant lead now.  Their answer to the video crew on the skiff who asked if they had it in the bag? "No!"

....^^....not seeing that mrWrist. :unsure:

we need a definitive winner here.......maybe they should move the finish further north!  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, wristwister said:

Whoa! How did THAT happen! Big Bro ahead !!!

Nevermind, just a momentary tracking time thing.

Goooooooooo Tripp, Chris and Trevor.  

All three are current or former Mambo Kings.

Tripp and I have sailed together for 10+ years

Chris and I sailed Marblhead race week once

And Trevor sailed in the Viper World Champs in Bermuda with me.

This has been a mission for Tripp for 3+ years.....he loves the race.  If it comes to pedaling they will give it everything they have and more.

If it comes to close quarter racing...they have tons of short course racing experience.

But I am holding my breath hardly can breathe.

46 minutes ago, Multihauler said:

Mama Tried was for sale in the classifieds for awhile.

I heard a rumor that she had sold to someone in the S.F. Bay area.

Did the FreeBurds buy or lease her for this race?

-MH

Rumor true.  I bought her a couple weeks before the R2AK and she's on loan to the Burd Brothers.  Pretty stoked to have a horse in this race.  Wish I was riding her myself.  Next year...

Go Pure&Wild/Freeburd!

Close encounter with the Cruise ship. From AIS and Race Tracker within the last couple minutes side by side:

R2AK.jpg

R2AKCruise.jpg

1 minute ago, MultiMacGreg said:

FreeBurd should be in view of cam 6 very soon!

now that the one ship left, you'll see them come in on cam 3.. depending on update.

HoooLeee CRAP! The gap tightens with Big Bro reporting a knt faster than FB. And another cruise ship in the mix. DAMN what a finish!

They can see the finish.

Shall I call them on their cell phones? but I think we need to let them focus. I will call as soon as they finish.

1 minute ago, rhpaw said:

now that the one ship left, you'll see them come in on cam 3.. depending on update.

Link?

If you zoom cam 6 to 150 you can still see well down the narrows.

I just noticed FreeBurd is transmitting AIS so you can see them on Marinetraffic.com (and the cruise ships).

1 hour ago, MultiMacGreg said:
Will these peddle drive systems determine the R2AK winner?

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

Me thinks so

13 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

Rumor true.  I bought her a couple weeks before the R2AK and she's on loan to the Burd Brothers.  Pretty stoked to have a horse in this race.  Wish I was riding her myself.  Next year...

Go Pure&Wild/Freeburd!

Way cool. Congrats! It's a good looking boat.

i am texting them.......but i doubt they are looking at their cell phones.   They are going to be over the moon about this.

the cams seem to be just historic images...have to figure out how to make the live feed work!

I'm sure y'all know this but that tracker is crazy!!! FB was out front and then BB is on their ass all of sudden.... I get it.... lag.

click on image,reload page later if nec, should re direct, but you might be locked out by bandwidth.

The webcam photos are time stamped in the upper right corner. They're an hour behind pacific time incidentally.  Cam 3 seems to update frustratingly infrequently. 

It appears Cam 6 updates every two min. 1:52, 1:54 1:56

Probably didn't update the CAM to DST

The KTN Yacht Club is off to the left of the cam 6 still, out of the screen.

1 minute ago, Locus said:

It appears Cam 6 updates every two min. 1:52, 1:54 1:56

Probably didn't update the CAM to DST

uh.. we have our own time zone here... it's on time.

I think I see them in cam 3

BB right behind

hah,,,they're talking about the buy-back check..... whatchthink Randy!? 

FANTASTIC close finish!!      Who's gonnah share their prize first? 

Way to go FreeBurd! Adding another brother and another hull seems to have worked out well for you! We are enjoying the same weather as Ketchikan in the Puget Sound area without the 750 miles of effort!

Keep in mind BB had to stop for 4 hours early in the race for repairs. Outstanding job by both crews!

Tripp has a serious case of perma-grin.

Its easy to see that there was huge respect and bond between those two boats

1 hour ago, RandyM81 said:

Go Pure&Wild/Freeburd!

You bought a brilliant boat....... It looks really sorted.

17 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Keep in mind BB had to stop for 4 hours early in the race for repairs. Outstanding job by both crews!

Ya think that 4 hr stop for repairs made a difference??? Big respect and awesome effort by both teams!

It's interesting that Mama Tried and Broderna rate exactly the same in PHRF-NW (-3) ...and finished at within minutes of each other after 750 miles!

9 minutes ago, Dan R. said:

It's interesting that Mama Tried and Broderna rate exactly the same in PHRF-NW (-3) ...and finished at within minutes of each other after 750 miles!

Thank you for that.  I stand (well) corrected!!

Could not edit so deleted my last.

But Keith/Ben, you still need to think about rowing vs pedaling, LOL

What a race!  And the race for the buyback is heating up, KMIUC is picking up steam after WCWO.

I'm glad RandyM81 outed himself.  I think having his name attached to a boat must have a certain amount of luck in r2ak, I can't wait to see how he is involved next year.  I'll miss seeing Mama Tried on my dock (assuming it is moving to California).

18 minutes ago, trimejust4fun said:

Ya think that 4 hr stop for repairs made a difference??? Big respect and awesome effort by both teams!

Probably not a 4 hour difference, as there was nearly no wind, and FB only put pedaling miles on them. BB was up to third by the time they were passing Nanaimo.  Also, FB was probably sailing conservative with the lead. Great job by both boats though.

Cant wait to hear RM81's exploits with the boat, I'm sure it will be a first class and well-sorted program.

14 minutes ago, trimejust4fun said:

You can select only those two boats in the tracker and replay the race up until the point where Big Broderna got underway again after repairs on Saturna.  Based on their lat/lons at that point (below), they were 10 NM apart:

48° 47.15' N 123° 02.56' W
48° 54.77' N 123° 12.41' W

chart_2017Jun15a.png.991e58cf41401650e6d08072b709ddfe.png

39 minutes ago, Rob Zabukovec said:

You bought a brilliant boat....... It looks really sorted.

Randy did I catch that right? you bought Mama tried? are you planning on r2ak 2018?

Stephen 

I still wonder what happened to Kitty back there.  Could it have been a 3 boat race?  Wiil be interesting to hear the story.  Could Kitty sleep in the hulls while underway?  I assume FB had sleeping accomodation(s) in the cuddy.  Getting out of the weather, regardless of sleeping or not, has to be helpful.  It would be interesting to hear Randy's thoughts on that from last year.

21 minutes ago, multihuler said:

Randy did I catch that right? you bought Mama tried? are you planning on r2ak 2018?

Stephen 

Yup!  Wasn't going to mention it but got too excited to keep quite.

Planning on some PNW cruising and late season racing if I can find some.  Then sailing down to SF Bay.  I want to do all the coastal and shorthanded racing that I couldn't do with the M32.

Can't commit to R2AK18 just yet, but going to try to make it happen. Excited for opportunities to exercise the frustrated engineer in me.

27 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

I still wonder what happened to Kitty back there.  Could it have been a 3 boat race?  Wiil be interesting to hear the story.  Could Kitty sleep in the hulls while underway?  I assume FB had sleeping accomodation(s) in the cuddy.  Getting out of the weather, regardless of sleeping or not, has to be helpful.  It would be interesting to hear Randy's thoughts on that from last year.

Last year we actually didn't have any issues with exposure with our drysuits and bivy sack.  Lack of sleep was a much bigger challenge, at least for me.  I think I got around 4 hours in 4 days.  The other guys got more.  I just had bad luck with my watches.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:55 PM, RandyM81 said:

Predictions anyone? 

I've got Pure & Wild/Freeburd for the win and Big Broderna for 2nd.

Russell Brown first solo and Itty Bitty Kitty Meow second solo finisher.

What have you got?

Wish I was racing this year, but I'll be an enthusiastic tracker junkie nonetheless. 

Do I get a cookie?

10 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

Do I get a cookie?

Randy, Yes you do....

This from one of my posts in the R2AK 2017 thread in ProaForum: https://proaforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=3459#p3459

"For the big leg to Ketchikan, watch out for Pure & Wild, Bad Kitty (if it can stay in one piece) and Broderna amongst the multi crew boats and Russ Brown amongst the soloists. And may they all not be struck by the infamous commentators curse......."

Save me a piece.....

Ketch Me has made up 2/3 of what they gave up on West Coast.  Easy pass if they can keep on without resting.

26 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

Last year we actually didn't have any issues with exposure with our drysuits and bivy sack.  Lack of sleep was a much bigger challenge, at least for me.  I think I got around 4 hours in 4 days.  The other guys got more.  I just had bad luck with my watches.

Nice to have good gear, but didn't you have to change sides every 20 minutes while tacking up some of the channels.  I probably should have said; "getting out of the weather with atleast an chance of ("undisturbed") sleep must be important".

What a finish!  

Gonna miss seeing your boat in the neighborhood.  Congrats

Third year tracker junkie, do I get a patch?

2 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

Nice to have good gear, but didn't you have to change sides every 20 minutes while tacking up some of the channels.  I probably should have said; "getting out of the weather with atleast an chance of ("undisturbed") sleep must be important".

What a finish!  

Gonna miss seeing your boat in the neighborhood.  Congrats

Third year tracker junkie, do I get a patch?

Thx re Mama Tried.  Looking forward to sailing her.  The Burd Bros have about 740 more miles on her than I do.

Re exposure, not being able to get out of the weather really wasn't problematic for us.  I suspect it would be different on a Nacra 20, but on the M32 in a bivy sack up high on the racks, exposure just wasn't a problem.  But yes, having to change sides every 20 min off watch was probably our biggest challenge during the race.  Hard to make good tactical decisions, maintain situational awareness, push hard, etc when utterly sleep deprived.  With a center pod for sleeping we would have been 4+ hours faster last year I'm certain.

In other news, Russell is poking out for a nice evening sail at ~10 knots.  And N2AK is giving it a go.  At this point I so amire the perseverance, of everyone!  

Huge congrats to Team Pure&Wild/Freeburd!

Can't wait to hear the report.

22 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

Ketch Me has made up 2/3 of what they gave up on West Coast.  Easy pass if they can keep on without resting.

More like 1/2. They were 30nm behind, now only 15nm.

Sleep deprivation can certainly mess up a skipper's judgement. I'm wondering if that happened on Ketch Me. I'm withholding judgement on their decision to pursue WCWO (until my brother finishes), but it reeks of sleep deprivation. Going out in a full gale on a Nacra, with the barometer still dropping, 50kt gusts at the nearest weather buoy 20 NM away,  no one to help within VHF range, was most definitely not part of the original sail plan as had been described to me!

By the looks of it (based on their track/speed) they were running bare poles dead downwind at times. Not a smart plan. They haven't picked up much speed now that the wind is easing, so I'm wondering if something may be broken aboard.

I wonder where Bad Kitty really is. Tracker hasn't updated for a few hours now.

The Crowther tri is out of the race now.

3 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

Do I get a cookie?

45 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

bummed for Bob and Team BK .. it appears for the 2nd year in a row they had to deal with issues.  Hats off to them for keeping the old cat moving!!

53 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Pinged about 10 min ago, heading WNW at 2.5 knots. I think the wind is pretty light where they are. IDK if there's anything broken or not.

15 minutes ago, Amati said:

Interesting. Pretty positive review. Alan Gurney design, so no wonder it's sailing well. It says Disp is 5000, which is quite light for a R/C of that era. Sailboat Data lists disp even lighter at 4500. That might be optimistic. PHRF is listed as 198 for the outboard/deep keel, so the boat might be a bit of a club-race sleeper. Can't remember ever paying attention to one, now if I see one I'll give it a closer look.

21 minutes ago, Amati said:

Funny thing, I was just reading that exact article after they (WCWO's) mentioned the boat in the latest live video (which is great stuff) as they went past Bella Bella. From the way they described their ride everything sounds quite civilized and under control. I've been a multihull guy forever, but you've sure got to appreciate the "form in function", not to mention value for money that a boat like this is offering.

Looks as if the wind is on a downward trend till the next system of any consequences moves in late Sun/early Monday a.m.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Pinged about 10 min ago, heading WNW at 2.5 knots. I think the wind is pretty light where they are. IDK if there's anything broken or not.

It was mentioned a few pages back they're experiencing a failed pedal system.

5 hours ago, RandyM81 said:

Go Pure&Wild/Freeburd!

you mean one of your boats just won a second straight r2ak?

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

you mean one of your boats just won a second straight r2ak?

I guess I can pick a horse. 

So it looks like a grudge match between the Marstom, the Melvin/Clissold 8.5M tri, and the big Antrim next year! Better get to work on the pedal power for the Antrim... That will be a beast but no more than the Crowther Cat NICE PAIR. 

6 hours ago, RandyM81 said:

Go Pure&Wild/Freeburd!

Thanks Randy.....Didn't intend to "out" you, but heard that you had purchased her, so was surprised to see the FreeBurds sailing her in the R2AK.

DW had nothing but good things to say about the boat, and tried to talk me into buying.  Unfortunately, she's a non folder.  I think she'll be a weapon against the S.F. Bay F-Boats (us)!!!

Cheers!!!

-MH

Kitty is stopped. wCWO stopped. Ketch Me underway. In QC Strait/Johnstone Strait, everyone is stopped except Aussies and N2AK. Wind looks light, but the boats underway are moving fast...current boost, perhaps?

I was really surprised to see wcwo stopped, that crew is tenacious. I hope everything is okay.  With full respect to freeburd and bigbro I have to say wcwo are my favorites this year. They are pushing that boat so well.

I think they stopped because the wind shut down, and a good nights rest was more valuable than the handful of miles they might have covered. I don't think there's a problem, they'll be underway bright and early. They're among my favorites too, really doing a fine job.

Gotta admire Heart of Gold (and any others out there) in the middle of Johnstone Strait all alone in the middle of the night.  Been a long day on the tracker.  Phew.  Congrats to FB & BB.  Time for bed.

Nice win- congrat....and nice mach to the steak knife winners...

That Mama Tried - concept similar to SeaCart30 - think also the wight is somewhere like 1000kg? - but the rating as an F-31R - thats much less than a SC30 - so guess the mast and sailplan must be much smaller.

Upgrades for -18 - bigger sailplan and curved foil on amas? T-rudders? ....ok foiler -at least semi...

But if someone dare to do it again in a M32 - and make it - they will win - if not a bigger tri gets to start...and even they would have problem with the M32 if conditions is light.

Think the Seacart30 is 50% more expensive than Mama .... but like to see one at start for the -18...  and some id.... on a M32..

7 hours ago, RandyM81 said:

Yup!  Wasn't going to mention it but got too excited to keep quite.

Planning on some PNW cruising and late season racing if I can find some.  Then sailing down to SF Bay.  I want to do all the coastal and shorthanded racing that I couldn't do with the M32.

Can't commit to R2AK18 just yet, but going to try to make it happen. Excited for opportunities to exercise the frustrated engineer in me.

Cow Bay 1st weekend in August ! Awesome party & Summer multihulling in the PNW .. Fun times before you head south! I usually take at least a week as its a marvelous time to be the islands of the Salish Sea! No drysuits reqired!!! 

WCWO is on the move again.

Cow Bay is awesome and how we got to know our new boat last year.  Sadly we aren't don't it this year, but soon. 

Is this a fun Race this year?  Most of the fleet looks to have had the snot beat out of it-  we'd love to do the race in 2-3 years, but sometimes NW sailing can be a bit, umm, intense....