• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
sailingk8

Annapolis Boat Show

Who is attending?

Who is exhibiting?

(No outing anyone please)

Who wants to meet up for a beverage?

Who is attending?

Who is exhibiting?

Are you paying (for the beverages)? :D

If the UFO is coming I am there for sure but other than that I doubt we are going this year.

Who is attending?

Who is exhibiting?

This is how rumours get started.

No. :P

Who is attending?

Who is exhibiting?

Not a rumor. Is a fact. The wife and I like free Painkillers!

Are you exhibiting? ;):lol:

Depends how many rums I have. ;)

Who is attending?

Who is exhibiting?

Not a rumor. Is a fact. The wife and I like free Painkillers!

Last time I was there I was drinking Redbull and rum, I named it a Murder.

After several of them I almost bounced off the dock.

I am. I'll be there with my daughter for her Fall Break. We'll be there for Saturday only, quick trip.

I am. I'll be there with my daughter for her Fall Break. We'll be there for Saturday only, quick trip.

Darn, we are heading up there Sunday after the San Juan Eastern Nationals - I know you have one for sale - JP has it in her mind she wants to get a ginormous catamaran and go distance cruising.

Will be zipping through on the 6th and early on the 7th, then back to Maine...

Nearer term...will be at the Newport show this Thurs-Sun, Tent D, #39-40.....

http://www.annapolisboatshows.com/united-states-sailboat-show/whos-exhibiting/

They definitely need to change the name. How do you call this the United States Sailboat Show when the vast majority of the boats are not made in North America? Take away the used boats being shown and the percentage is far worse. My count is 42 North American, 101 from other places 3 unsure.

However....If you are looking for a deal on a new boat built and usually sold in a faraway place....u gotta go for the boat show deal. The problem with Annapolis as a venue is that there is not enough space for items other than boats in the water. We need the Europeans to send us not only the boats they can not sell but what about some boots? How about some foul weather gear to go along with that Fountaine Pajoty?

I posted the list of boats that will be there. I think that is one of the best lists I have seen in a number of years. Not only are there three...yes 3 Beneteau Oceanus 38's so that the lines to get onboard will be shorter I saw a good number of boats that have threads running right now on the worlds most humble sailing website. Take a look at the list. Just by going to this one show you can now post in so many wonderful threads....

Honestly ...not lyin..... looks like at least a dozen boats I would want to see and that hasn't happened in at least 15 years.

For those of you going remember you will be held responsible to post derisive accounts of the horrible boats that are displayed. Also the utter lack hot bikini babes. The continued discrimination against hot bikini babes by those displaying sailboats is a cause that many of us have strong feelings for. At the Miami Powerboat show hot bikini babes can find work at nearly every powerboat that can accomodate them. Yet none at the Sailboat show? Horrible!

Nominations for the Sailing Anarchy Boat of the Show are now open. Please go to the above link. Click over to boats displayed and post your nomination. As an original poster and SA's first reporter to the show I am a Superdelegate and have two votes....don't be jealous..... it's just the way that it is..

Both of my nominations for the Sailing Anarchy Boat of the Show go to the boat located on the E2 Pier...

Hendricks Gin Hospitality Barge ..... proud sponsors of serious free hangovers in the morning. Also I think they once were an advertiser on SA.

post-195-0-43407000-1473762904_thumb.jpg

For those of you going remember you will be held responsible to post derisive accounts of the horrible boats that are displayed. Also the utter lack hot bikini babes. The continued discrimination against hot bikini babes by those displaying sailboats is a cause that many of us have strong feelings for. At the Miami Powerboat show hot bikini babes can find work at nearly every powerboat that can accomodate them. Yet none at the Sailboat show? Horrible!

Nominations for the Sailing Anarchy Boat of the Show are now open. Please go to the above link. Click over to boats displayed and post your nomination. As an original poster and SA's first reporter to the show I am a Superdelegate and have two votes....don't be jealous..... it's just the way that it is..

Both of my nominations for the Sailing Anarchy Boat of the Show go to the boat located on the E2 Pier...

Hendricks Gin Hospitality Barge ..... proud sponsors of serious free hangovers in the morning. Also I think they once were an advertiser on SA.

It's poured down rain for the last 3 years during the show, and cooler temps. No surprise about the lack of bikini babes.

Maybe the sun will shine this year.

It's poured down rain for the last 3 years during the show, and cooler temps. No surprise about the lack of bikini babes.

Maybe the sun will shine this year.

What are you talking about? The weather has been really decent for the past 5 years @ ABS

Just to clarify...

- My first Annapolis shows were as a child during the 70's. A lot has changed...mostly for the better.

- Bikini Babes - kind of a running joke. For anyone who can go to a Miami or better yet a Med Powerboat show it can be eye opening. Very different from a British or American show. It makes you wonder just what type of buyer is present. Someone even posted pictures and then cell phone video of an indoor show in Italy. They had two women in bikinis making out in a 20 foot open powerboat. Talk about making it tough to check out the bilge pump!

- Deals - I have been told that many years ago that New York and other shows were the place where you bought a new boat. Hinckley, Huckins et al would show up with the best they could build and it was a huge matter of pride not to go home with the boat! The story goes that Huckins could not face the yard workers with an unsold boat! That changed with dealership agreements for production builders. I witnessed first hand a refused offer on an O'day 28 at Annapolis due to the offer coming from the resident of a different protected dealership area. Now I have seen just great deals on boats at the shows. The deals included not just a much lower price with all sorts of gear thrown in but a very good turnover. Kind of hard to beat getting the builder or designer to deliver in the water your new boat.

- Europeans not shipping the hot sellers to Annapolis - somewhat true. There can be other issues but looking through the list of European boats being displayed I noticed several hot sellers missing. This may change but there was no J112 or Italia yachts being displayed. Both would be nice to see.

All joking aside this is a great year to go.

Just to clarify...

- My first Annapolis shows were as a child during the 70's. A lot has changed...mostly for the better.

- Bikini Babes - kind of a running joke. For anyone who can go to a Miami or better yet a Med Powerboat show it can be eye opening. Very different from a British or American show. It makes you wonder just what type of buyer is present. Someone even posted pictures and then cell phone video of an indoor show in Italy. They had two women in bikinis making out in a 20 foot open powerboat. Talk about making it tough to check out the bilge pump!

- Deals - I have been told that many years ago that New York and other shows were the place where you bought a new boat. Hinckley, Huckins et al would show up with the best they could build and it was a huge matter of pride not to go home with the boat! The story goes that Huckins could not face the yard workers with an unsold boat! That changed with dealership agreements for production builders. I witnessed first hand a refused offer on an O'day 28 at Annapolis due to the offer coming from the resident of a different protected dealership area. Now I have seen just great deals on boats at the shows. The deals included not just a much lower price with all sorts of gear thrown in but a very good turnover. Kind of hard to beat getting the builder or designer to deliver in the water your new boat.

- Europeans not shipping the hot sellers to Annapolis - somewhat true. There can be other issues but looking through the list of European boats being displayed I noticed several hot sellers missing. This may change but there was no J112 or Italia yachts being displayed. Both would be nice to see.

All joking aside this is a great year to go.

I beg to differ, were I shopping for a decent bilge pump, that would be the perfect environment to check them out in. ;)

:ph34r:

:lol:

Will be there the weekend before. Bringing a boat down for a dealer. Usually end up at the Boatyard for early dinner before driving home. Think we will be in Chesapeake City on Saturday night

Looks like I'll be there Sunday. If you recognize me say hi, I don't bite.

Funny boat show memory - the XYZ company was running a RIB across the harbor to their boat to get prospects on and off without buying a ticket or going through the lines. The RIB skipper was stoned and rammed the show boat with the customers aboard without even slowing down :lol: :lol:

BOING - good thing rubber bounces :rolleyes:

There's a Spring show as well. Sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose with the wx.

PS Wear a hat with a good chin strap this year!

Should be great 70 degree sunny weather for the show except for rain Saturday. Strong North winds Sunday. Today felt like summertime. Too hot for the long sleeves I was wearing. The docks are just about all in and now go all the way out to the mooring field.

Funny boat show memory - the XYZ company was running a RIB across the harbor to their boat to get prospects on and off without buying a ticket or going through the lines. The RIB skipper was stoned and rammed the show boat with the customers aboard without even slowing down :lol: :lol:

Did ya get fired? :lol:

Sailing up from the South in my modest yacht on Saturday. Early forecast for Mathew indicates a hell of a great spinnaker run home on Sunday!

Did ya get fired? :lol:

Funny to mention, the committee requests that the captains moving the boats out at the end of the show on Monday, that they do not Drink. Here's the back story, a few shows ago; I want to say 2012 there was a captain moving a new Jenneau 40 something and he rammed starboard side directly into Pussers dock bar, ( no-one injured, but left a nasty mark on the side). That same evening, a captain hammered down on the throttle (show boating), not noticing that someone did not tie off one of the aft lines. Well it must of been a really strong motor/dock line because the top half of the piling Shot the F off and went flying into the upper deck of Pussers. If you were there, you would agree when I say it sounded like a loud gunshot.

What an evening it was.

I actually met bob bitchin at this show in 2004 when we worked it standing next to a j133 carbon rudder and bearing system plus some carbon wheels. Ate dinner with the finest brunette from sailing world magazine. Well, not just me. Hung on a media boat and chatted up the then new ceo of ronstan at the time. Reminds me of having a 10 minute coversation at Ft Mason in San Francisco in the 80s with the North American VP of Volvo with his wife and daughter after a day of racing. Nice folks but clearly wishing they were elsewhere. The daughter was hot btw and i think it made their night to have someone just engage them. Thanks dad! Turns out the diplomacy and good manners you showed me does some good. Btw, the Calahan hotel is till my favorite anywhere. Have fun folks, say hello to the johnstones for me.

I thought the ride south on Sunday was going to be a righteous kite run on my modest yacht, but it's looking like it will be a thrilling ride with just the sad old no. 3 and no main. Breakfast beer and vroom!

I tell my friends, where power boats are about Scotch and Strippers, Sailboats are about Scotchbrite and Strypeeze.

What's the story of the boat seized by the marshalls in middle of the show?

I think the writing may be on the wall for that one........boat built by financed loan, seller missed a few payments... files report....someone finds out that the boat will be stuck in that location for a week....The Cowboys come in and take possession

My impression - where the hell was everyone?

It seemed like today (Sunday) was half what I remember as the usual.

Defender was not there and I couldn't seem to find anyone with C-Map charts in stock.

Found this stunning example of the boatbuilders art aboard a Jeanneau :rolleyes:

post-9077-0-33548900-1476060698_thumb.jpg

The nefarious manufacturer and boat designer’s involvement have yet to be clarified. Did they knowing design and build a potentially criminal boat?

The boat has released a statement saying that recently released tapes involving it and another boat will not cause the boat to drop out of the race to be Sail, Cruising World, Miss Annapolis, Pimp Da Boat and Sailing World "boat of the" contests

The Wauquiz 57 has made it clear that it will not replace the 48 and supports the Pilot House design concept.

No word yet if the various magazine sailing tests will be performed with United States Marshalls personnel onboard.

On Sunday while at the show I heard that the entire Bavaria contingent was fired on the spot!

Something about the Bavaria boats weren't US compliant...

On Sunday while at the show I heard that the entire Bavaria contingent was fired on the spot!

Not April Fools (also not a boat on my list but still, wow):

It is with a very heavy heart that we have to inform you that the relationship between Bavaria Yachts USA and Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH in Giebelstadt, Germany no longer exists.

With a new management team in Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH, the commitment from the factory has plummeted.

On October 6th, 2016, ten minutes before the start of the 2016 Annapolis Boat Show, the Mr. Lutz Henkel, the CEO of Bavaria Yachtbau, handed us a termination letter which was effective immediately. Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH’s management was fully aware that our team had worked for weeks in preparation of our market’s most significant and costly sailboat show.

Our US company, comprised of experienced boating industry professionals, has committed to ensure our yachts are serviced to Bavaria USA standards which has come at a great financial cost, but we believe providing the highest quality and standards in the industry was worth it because it has been the right thing to do, it’s just good business. For years, under previous German management, we worked in good partnership with Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH to ensure the products sold in the US market were up to the standards fitting the expectations of the American consumer.

Over the last five years, the team at Bavaria USA has actively built the Bavaria brand into a respected and very recognizable entity in the US boating industry. We have represented our products with great care and pride, and have provided a level of service to our owners which we would expect if we were to purchase a yacht ourselves.

Since Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH has chosen to abandon its commitments to Bavaria Yachts USA, the sole distributor and dealer for the US market for monohull Sailboats and Powerboats, Bavaria Yachts USA is now forced to cease all operations.

Best Regards,

Team Bavaria Yachts USA

This kind of stuff really makes me wonder about getting a new vs brokerage boat.

Wess

Saw Free Range Chicken (Bob Perry design) at the brockerage dock on the other side of the bridge. Thought it was the best boat in the show. Price was waaay less than I'd have expected.

Other boat with awesome engineering was the X-cat, a perfect Watertribe cartoppable thermoform molded catamaran with aluminum frame, well thought out rigging and a unique forward facing sliding seat rowing station. At 165lbs, it's priced under $12K. If I wasn't building a boat, I'd be tempted.

I scored some new foulies. Sunday the forecast was calling for gusts of 48, which is a bit too much for my 23' modest yacht. I had to pay for an extra day and sail the boat home yesterday.

Great show. I liked the aluminum monon hulls. The owner was hanging out on one of them with a slide show from his Greenland trip. Really neat to talk to.

I scored some new foulies. Sunday the forecast was calling for gusts of 48, which is a bit too much for my 23' modest yacht. I had to pay for an extra day and sail the boat home yesterday.

Great show. I liked the aluminum monon hulls. The owner was hanging out on one of them with a slide show from his Greenland trip. Really neat to talk to.

I agree the Allures were impressive boats. The production boats were all pretty much identical. The electric winches in front of the wheel would make traditional winches almost impossible to operate. I would seriously consider the Allures 399 for cruising.

I was wondering WTF was going on with the Bavaria boats being closed up - yikes :o

Wess - when buying airplanes many people use escrow services to prevent shenanigans like Bavaria. I would do something similar for a boat.

edit- The Melges 14 looked fun as long as someone else paid for it :rolleyes: For $9K I'll scavenge Craigslist for an old Laser.

Did they "close up" or just can all their dealers without sharing Plan B? Does anyone have any details outside of a dealer or two getting voted off the island?

What the hell kind of forecast did you look at?

I was wondering WTF was going on with the Bavaria boats being closed up - yikes :o

Wess - when buying airplanes many people use escrow services to prevent shenanigans like Bavaria. I would do something similar for a boat.

edit- The Melges 14 looked fun as long as someone else paid for it :rolleyes: For $9K I'll scavenge Craigslist for an old Laser.

Or you could get a new laser for just a bit less.

It is with a very heavy heart that we have to inform you that the relationship between Bavaria Yachts USA and Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH in Giebelstadt, Germany no longer exists.

With a new management team in Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH, the commitment from the factory has plummeted.

On October 6th, 2016, ten minutes before the start of the 2016 Annapolis Boat Show, the Mr. Lutz Henkel, the CEO of Bavaria Yachtbau, handed us a termination letter which was effective immediately. Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH’s management was fully aware that our team had worked for weeks in preparation of our market’s most significant and costly sailboat show.

Our US company, comprised of experienced boating industry professionals, has committed to ensure our yachts are serviced to Bavaria USA standards which has come at a great financial cost, but we believe providing the highest quality and standards in the industry was worth it because it has been the right thing to do, it’s just good business. For years, under previous German management, we worked in good partnership with Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH to ensure the products sold in the US market were up to the standards fitting the expectations of the American consumer.

Over the last five years, the team at Bavaria USA has actively built the Bavaria brand into a respected and very recognizable entity in the US boating industry. We have represented our products with great care and pride, and have provided a level of service to our owners which we would expect if we were to purchase a yacht ourselves.

Since Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH has chosen to abandon its commitments to Bavaria Yachts USA, the sole distributor and dealer for the US market for monohull Sailboats and Powerboats, Bavaria Yachts USA is now forced to cease all operations.

Best Regards,

Team Bavaria Yachts USA

This kind of stuff really makes me wonder about getting a new vs brokerage boat.

Wess

"Lutz Henkel" sounds like a Stuka squadron commander and move at the show certainly is Blitzkrieg worthy

Keep in mind we are hearing only one side of the story. That said I really feel for anyone put out of work at the show! The SA front page sums up my feelings. Who Cares?

Bavaria just isn't anything special. Posters would point out their automated factory and I would watch the film but see lack of room to work. Hanse and Dehler have passed anything that Bavaria offers. Italia yachts is delivering a far better product. As much as Beneteau, Jeanneau and Dufour are put down I would be much more comfortable in one of those than a Bavaria. The old Bavaria was able to put a lot of people in a bigger boat than they could otherwise afford. They did use batch building to drive down costs. The problem is that Bavaria does not stand out and when there are economic problems people stop buying Bavaria.

The problems with Bavaria's North American distribution system are not anything new. Their competition has always been better at getting a boat to a buyer. I can understand numerous reasons for changing distributors. However to do so in such a public way has to be just insane or the issues involved would have to be criminal to justify the embarrassment of not showing at Annapolis. There has to be a term for reverse advertisement or marketing. If there isn't maybe we should just call it pulling a Bavarian. You are displaying your product at the major North American show and demonstrating why NOT to buy it.

Wauquiez is a little different. Not too many years ago the brand was considered in similar terms as Sabre is in North America. I do not know much about the recent boats but it appears that they are trying to get back to a boat with qualities above a normal production boat. The styling has always been very European so the boats never took off in NA. Hopefully the problem does not involve their European sales.

Was it not about people been put out at work, I would applaude North America for not having to look at this industrially produced special waste disguised as a boat anymore.

I look forward to the day they are going completely out of buisiness and the Med Charter fleets are staring to buy sailingboats again and not structually challanged camping wagons.

What the hell kind of forecast did you look at?

NOAA, SailFlow

Best Regards,

Team Bavaria Yachts USA

Wess

"Lutz Henkel" sounds like a Stuka squadron commander and move at the show certainly is Blitzkrieg worthy

The monacle and dueling scar were the first clue.

Wauquiez is a little different. Not too many years ago the brand was considered in similar terms as Sabre is in North America. I do not know much about the recent boats but it appears that they are trying to get back to a boat with qualities above a normal production boat. The styling has always been very European so the boats never took off in NA. Hopefully the problem does not involve their European sales.

+1. I've always heard good things about their build quality. I recently toured an eighties built Centurion that had been left sitting in the Caribbean and West Coast sun for far too long and it was tragic to see her deck and topsides. But as soon as I stepped below I could see that, unlike any C&C, Bene or even Swan of the same vintage, she was completely water tight. No seepage through the teak decking, cabin lights, portlights or hatches anywhere. I've always had a soft spot for the marque but this one needed too much. I truly hope the new company has the same uncompromising approach to building boats that old Henri Wauquiez reportedly had.

+1. I've always heard good things about their build quality. I recently toured an eighties built Centurion that had been left sitting in the Caribbean and West Coast sun for far too long and it was tragic to see her deck and topsides. But as soon as I stepped below I could see that, unlike any C&C, Bene or even Swan of the same vintage, she was completely water tight. No seepage through the teak decking, cabin lights, portlights or hatches anywhere. I've always had a soft spot for the marque but this one needed too much. I truly hope the new company has the same uncompromising approach to building boats that old Henri Wauquiez reportedly had.

There was a thread on SA about someone who had an 90's built Centurion 42 and had to do an extensive keel support structure rebuild on it.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=173360

"US compliant"? To sell a diesel powered sailboat in the US, you don't need much more than a MIC# and some nav lights (and those are even carriage requirements).

ABYC compliant propane and shore power?

Budweiser instead of St. Pauli Girl?

HIN not the right format?

( I actually had that happen to me with a boat from Poland. The local DNR lady was NOT going to give me title and registration because the numbers were not right for the USA standard. I offered to bring her with me to Poland to go bitch at their department of boat stuff and she gave in :rolleyes:)

Lots of boats not fully ABYC compliant. There are even some systems I would absolutely want that are not ABYC compliant. But I don't think that had anything to do with the Team Bavaria USA situation.

somebody works his butt off for years to introduce a brand ..... finally all that work actually start paying off... Now the Euros see that they start making money and think... oh .. we can have our own personal and do a much better job ( Euros know everything ! all the time , even if they barely can mumble the English language)

So importer gets thrown under the bus, a German who always wanted to live in the US takes over, and voila... lands flat on his face after just a couple years , but now its some high brass in the company who all were for the change , hence there is money bleeding all over the place....

been there done that ...

thor