Sign in to follow this  
nemier

Sailing dinghy required for powerboat

Hello SA.

I'm a sailor at heart, and have owned a few sailboats in our time.

However, my wife & I are currently transiting God's blue earth, in a powerboat.

Fact is; I miss sailing much of the time.

I have space for a small sailboat on deck (up to say, 4.6 m long, x 2m wide).

I'm asking for recommendations for sailboats that I could secure on deck, & assemble once at anchorage.

Mono or cat, what ever the best package is.

how many people will it need to carry?

you want to stay dry?

go fast?

I would probably like to sail circles around an anchored M/V Infinity with an RS Aero but that is using my first principles.

Thanks for your prompt reply Dex.

The boat needs to be able to carry two people. The RS Aero seems perfect in every respect, apart from this one.

The RS seems single-hander only. (Although it will be single handed most of the time :unsure: )

Staying dry, not so important.

Fast is always good!! :)

Something like the tasar might be good: a 2 piece mast that stores on the boat is better than a long stick to manage.

The old style Dacron sails with furling jib may also make life easier

do you want to go cheap?

laser or sunfish... kinda crowded with two people.

fast is relative. Laser or sunfish would be slow, modern 2 seater with a-sym gennacker would be fast and foiling moth or similar would be super fast.

You are lucky that you life in a time where there are boats to suit every demand.

something like the RS Quest might do:

http://www.rssailing.com/en/explore/at-rs-quest

or a laser 2000 (only called 2000 nowadays: http://www.rssailing.com/en/explore/en-2000)

I'm not sure what you'll be able to get in Fiji but you might get an Australian or NZ dealer to ship it out...

who do you get the boat on the deck? Do you have a crane or do you need to carry it? Is weight of the boat an issue?

If you want something versatile to sail around the anchorage and carry back the groceries, then something like the Trinka 10 or 12 would fill the bill nicely. Two piece spars and everything fits in the boat, but stable enough to leave rigged in the water for several days at a time.

<snip>

I have space for a small sailboat on deck (up to say, 4.6 m long, x 2m wide).

I'm asking for recommendations for sailboats that I could secure on deck, & assemble once at anchorage.

Mono, cat, or tri what ever the best package is.

The Weta is 4.6 x 1.7m when stowed on the trolley (allowing for the trolley handle) but opens up to 5.8 x 3.5m when rigged. Stow to go in <25 mins.

It has enough buoyancy for 3 adults and will do over 20 knots.

weta-line-drawing.jpg

Some others already have a Weta (or two!) aboard

Southern-Cloud_400x320-2.jpg

Weta-Trimaran-Small-Beach-Yacht-Catamara

More info at weta.com.au

Depending on where you are headed next, the boat was designed in New Zealand, where Weta Marine are based, and there's also a dealer on New Caledonia as well as Australia.

If you get to Auckland in April you could include the World Masters Games regatta in your itinerary.

I think the only issue you might have with the Weta is rigging it aboard the boat - especially if you have another tender on the foredeck.

You might be able to make enough room by launching the tender first.

And if you can rig it, the way to launch the Weta from a crane is to use two webbing loops - one around the front float arms and the other around the rear arms - but have the forward one slightly longer so that the boat is bow-down when lifted to keep the crane away from the shrouds.

If there isn't enough room to rig it fully aboard, I'd insert one float and tie it in place by securing the tramps and also insert the bowsprit with the kite. Then lift the boat into the water (you may have to experiment with the centre of balance or use some water ballast in the float). Once in the water, insert the other float arm and secure that. Assemble the mast on the deck of your boat and cleat the halyards to hold the two sections together. Lift the mast onto the boat with the shroud toggles inserted and secure the mast foot in place on the Weta. If it's not possible to use the crane to do this, you can get a hinged mast step from Weta and then either use your crane to help step the mast or use a block and tackle attached to the Weta bow to raise it from shoulder height.

Raise the sails when the boat is in the water by sitting on the bow to rig the jib and then you can raise the main from the cockpit.

post-2624-0-83673400-1474662523_thumb.jpg

Good question was intended use, if only fun sailing then a sunfish or phantom type is probably most bang for buck. If more versatility then high end/low weight options (wood) (PT11, Dix, Dyer, CLC, etc) or lower end/heavy/durable GRP options (Trinka, Bauer, Gig Harbor, etc.). The CLC line has some interesting options.

Thanks for all the info guys.

The boats' main purpose is fun,,, to scoot around the anchorages, getting my sailing mojo back once we have completed a long passage.

I have looked at all the suggestions you guys have made. These are very much appreciated, cheers

However,,, new info.

It appears that we don't have the deck real estate I thought we might have had.

Stdb side has a 60HP Nouvurania 410, and port side has two 50cc Yamaha scooters, no shit.

I was thinking we might trade the scooter real estate for the new sailing dinghy,,, Err 'no' says the Admiral.

So, I have been looking into a foldable/buildable/stowable solution, and have come up with the Smartkat and the Minicat 420.

Also looked at the Ducky, but this one seems too heavy, and too expedition purposed for our needs.

That leads us to just two options I'm aware of. The Smartkat and the Minicat 420.

My priorities are build quality, ease of assembly, and will it do what it says on the tin? They are priced similar, so that is awash.

Which one would you choose?

Get a UFO Foiler. No need for deck space other than the anchor point for the teather connected to the UFO. See UFO thread for details 😉

That's it !!

I think that's exactly what we are looking for. : )

So, our choice is between the Minicat 420, the Smatkat, or the Tiwal 3.2

Should be interesting to see which way the Admiral wants to go,,,

I'll let you know.

When we arrive in a new harbor it is always nice to be able to poke around in a Dyer Dhow. Carries two + dog or groceries, or a third person if the chop's not too bad. Light, easy to rig & launch. Can also be rowed or motored. Rig & rudder stows under the thwarts.

Had a pow-wow with the Admiral, in the salon this afternoon.

Our decision has boiled down to a choice between the Smartkat 4.20m Edition, or the Minicat 420.

btw Raz'r,,, I too love the PT-11, but no room at the Inn. (onboard)

If we spent more time dirt-dwelling in Vancouver, I'd probably go for a Weta.

So,, does anyone have experience or an informed opinion about either of the SmartKat or MiniCat,,, I'm listening! Cheers.

Had a pow-wow with the Admiral, in the salon this afternoon.

Our decision has boiled down to a choice between the Smartkat 4.20m Edition, or the Minicat 420.

btw Raz'r,,, I too love the PT-11, but no room at the Inn. (onboard)

If we spent more time dirt-dwelling in Vancouver, I'd probably go for a Weta.

So,, does anyone have experience or an informed opinion about either of the SmartKat or MiniCat,,, I'm listening! Cheers.

Catapult blow up catamaran- held the class A (?)world sailing record for a while. Kind of an A class blow up cat.

Ummm - small, light and fast - comes in a purpose built shipping box.

Performance to blow your hair back.....

Gotta look at a Mach 2 Moth.

Go on you know you want to.

With all that space you could have one each..... :)

If you are still looking, perhaps this is a good place to start. This compares the MiniCat 420 to the SmartKat. You will also see a few other common boats compared as well.

I am more than happy to share my opinions (I try to remain as realistic and unbiased as possible).

french do it better: That is an awesome find...What a cool idea/design.

saw this in La Rochelle last week: http://reversoproject.com/

Hey, I deliver the Trinka 8 and Trinka 10.

Maybe the factory will pay to have me deliver to Fiji......

Uh, I guess not.

Dave Ellis

Florida

+1 on the Trinka 10. Like Foxxy said, sails decent plus rows and tows nice too! Designed to tow long distances un attended so it would not have to be brought on deck every time U wanted to move your mooring or?.

What JohnD said - just ordered my Trinka 10 as tender for our sailing cat.  Replacing our dying, gray turd shaped inflatable with this work of art.  We love to row, appreciate a beautiful sheer and have the option to sail in the prettiest dinghy in any anchorage.  Yep, pricey, but cheap considering US made, incredible build quality and will be a nice legacy to hand off to our next generation of sailors.

Took a picture of Mark and Tony at the shop this afternoon - so well worth your time to visit if you're looking for an American classic.