Sign in to follow this  
random

Blue Poles?

Ok, what's the verdict. Jackson Pollock, bought by Aus for over a million 40 years ago. Now on display in London.

Is it any good?

Blue_Poles_%28Jackson_Pollock_painting%2

1.3 Million..that's why it was a controversial purchase..it had to be authorized by the PM

Amazing painting .

Stand 15' away ..the "blue poles" leap out of the painting. Worth every cent of a million ..Valued in monetary terms it was a great investment..seeing as it will never be for sale..well..lets just say it prolly brought ordinary Australians out of the " 3 dogs playing poker" era.

Thank you Gough,

• Like 1

I do like a Pollock.

With the recent art value crash, what's it worth today?

from Wikipedia.....

Legacy[edit]

The painting has become one of the most popular exhibits in the gallery,[5] for both its value as a major work of 1950s abstract expressionism, and its significance in Australian politics and history.[3] Estimates of the painting's present value vary widely, from $20 million to $100 million,[3] but its increased value has at least shown it to have been a worthwhile purchase from a financial point of view.[4][5]

100 million.?

bear in mind,,it's huge..about 3x5 metres from memory..chopped into panels you'd get at least 5 decent pics..say 10 million a peice..even on todays market.. :)

100 million.?

bear in mind,,it's huge..about 3x5 metres from memory..chopped into panels you'd get at least 5 decent pics..say 10 million a peice..even on todays market.. :)

See above from wikipedia for latest value estimate

it's 212.1 cm × 488.9 cm (83.5 in × 192.5 in)

46yS3kF.jpg

well I wasn't far off..better image for size comparison.8 poles? maybe 8 panels?

I'm joking

I don't know much about abstract..but I love this..I can see naval battles? or crows on a wire? depending on my mood and the light. ,

Single best image on this site in ga in many a moon except for cleavage. When you see one of his paintings in real life you can stand as far away as possible and then move closer and closer until you are inches from it and see new amazing stuff the entire time. This one I saw by the time you were looking at it close up what you thought were solid colors were in fact paint with metallic shiny dust partices in it or solid colors with other stuff floating in it.

Single best image on this site in ga in many a moon except for cleavage. When you see one of his paintings in real life you can stand as far away as possible and then move closer and closer until you are inches from it and see new amazing stuff the entire time. This one I saw by the time you were looking at it close up what you thought were solid colors were in fact paint with metallic shiny dust partices in it or solid colors with other stuff floating in it.

Ah so you've visited "lunar city" :)

I dunno, looks like the paint counter at Home Depot after a three day weekend...

Looks like my garage door the day after Cinco de Mayo!

It also imitates the look of a gelcoat spray booth at the end of a double shift week.

I stared at blue poles for hours. My girlfriend said she was going. Man was she pissed when I said 'ok, see you later'.

It is a 'shock and awe' piece of art.

I like what appears to be ( and no doubt is) carefully designed symmetry of the poles.

Hours..I went to the Dagas Exhibition in Melbourne a couple of months back..generally don't care for his work much..(prolly overexposure to too many bad prints in aunties lounge rooms :D) But this little statue is absolutlely beautiful in the bronze..if I hadn't had my mum and MIL with me I could have stared at it for...well at least half an hour

u0S6kLD.jpg

Hours..I went to the Dagas Exhibition in Melbourne a couple of months back..generally don't care for his work much..(prolly overexposure to too many bad prints in aunties lounge rooms :D) But this little statue is absolutlely beautiful in the bronze..if I hadn't had my mum and MIL with me I could have stared at it for...well at least half an hour

u0S6kLD.jpg

The regularity of the fundamental spelling mistakes is escalating....

Do you have a hip flask in your Librarian's desk at work?

Degas

Stereotype

fuck!!

It is a stunner.

But i do believe you are doing Mr Hobot Esq. a disservice.

A trip to the 'Random Picture Thread' is worth a few hours of anyone's time.

u0S6kLD.jpg

Degas

Stereotype

fuck!!

Typing in bed, flu and tired..fuch I even cheched the spelling on wiki and still got it wrong :D

I dunno, looks like the paint counter at Home Depot after a three day weekend...

Looks like my garage door the day after Cinco de Mayo!

:D

We're a bit slow here

u0S6kLD.jpg

Degas

Stereotype

fuck!!

Typing in bed, flu and tired..fuch I even cheched the spelling on wiki and still got it wrong :D

Stay in bed until you feel better, or the damage you might do to the Dewey Decimal System could be irreparable. :)

I stared at blue poles for hours. My girlfriend said she was going. Man was she pissed when I said 'ok, see you later'.

It is a 'shock and awe' piece of art.

Completely understand this. On my honeymoon at the louvre I kept going back to the sculpture gallery till I finally just stayed there for an hour while my wife wnet elsewhere. Viewing art is not a team sport for me.

It is a stunner.

But i do believe you are doing Mr Hobot Esq. a disservice.

A trip to the 'Random Picture Thread' is worth a few hours of anyone's time.

You know I have not been there jn anwhile. I ususally use a crappy pad to visit here and it blows chunks loading big threadsmfull of images.

Oh---- those kind of poles.

Not my taste- classics like in the Louvere, Hermitage yes. Even coming to enjoy Dali collection here in St. Pete.

Pollock's pieces (like most art) need to be seen in the flesh to be appreciated. You still might not like them, but it's a totally different experience. I happen to like a lot of Pollock's work.

Then again, I like Ralph Steadman. . .

Pollock's pieces (like most art) need to be seen in the flesh to be appreciated. You still might not like them, but it's a totally different experience. I happen to like a lot of Pollock's work.

Steadman has an undeniable gift. Because he has a sense of humor, and is a little self-deprecating, art snobs don't take him seriously, but he's a visionary.

Anyone here like Mark Rothko? When I see a Pollock, I see the colors of Wyoming. When I see a Rothko, I see the world through a rainy window of an East Coast late Autumn.

My sister told me something about Pollock, many of his paintings are decaying, because he didn't always prime his canvases and he used house paints that had a ph balance that doesn't always get along with the canvas he chose.

I like what appears to be ( and no doubt is) carefully designed symmetry of the poles.

there is no symmetry in abstract..........it just is what it is.

I don't agree. Looks to me like the poles are placed for balance and composition. Abstact expressionism does not always mean it was constructed with only chaos in mind.

Even the 'evenness' of the chaos would be hard to achieve. It's a big canvas, it would have taken vision and effort. As an example, look at the left and right poles, they have the opposite left and right lean in order to 'balance' and define it.

When I was at art collage we studied Jackson Pollock for a semester. My lecturer thought that Pollock was a drunk and a womaniser and that the abstract expressionism movement gave people with little talent and drafting skills the chance to be painters. He claimed that pollock used to laugh at people who stood in front of his work and 'saw' things in his paintings. It didnt sound like he was a very nice chap. You may recall at the time a monkey was given paint and canvases and the resulting 'abstractions' were raved about by art critics until the scam was exposed.

Despite that I like blue poles (I used to have a print in my office) and I also thought it looked great in the Opera house, itself one on the ugliest structures ever built.

Steadman has an undeniable gift. Because he has a sense of humor, and is a little self-deprecating, art snobs don't take him seriously, but he's a visionary.

Anyone here like Mark Rothko? When I see a Pollock, I see the colors of Wyoming. When I see a Rothko, I see the world through a rainy window of an East Coast late Autumn.

My sister told me something about Pollock, many of his paintings are decaying, because he didn't always prime his canvases and he used house paints that had a ph balance that doesn't always get along with the canvas he chose.

Rothko. I like the pieces I've seen. I would call them interesting. ....

When I was at art collage we studied Jackson Pollock for a semester. My lecturer thought that Pollock was a drunk and a womaniser and that the abstract expressionism movement gave people with little talent and drafting skills the chance to be painters. He claimed that pollock used to laugh at people who stood in front of his work and 'saw' things in his paintings. It didnt sound like he was a very nice chap. You may recall at the time a monkey was given paint and canvases and the resulting 'abstractions' were raved about by art critics until the scam was exposed.

Despite that I like blue poles (I used to have a print in my office) and I also thought it looked great in the Opera house, itself one on the ugliest structures ever built.

Of course pollock laughed. There's nothing in them! The fact that random sees something in the composition proves pollack's point.

The ability to not put an ego into a painting was the artist's aim. The fact that mere mortals could find something was a reflection of their ego, not the artist's.

You don't have to "understand" fine art to enjoy it.

You don't have to analyzi it either..Abstract stuff ?? like anything..you can like a piece or not. There's Millions and Millions of paintings in Galleries all over the world where most of the public and art critics would go Meh..move on to the next....but they are in their for some reason known only to the Directors..and fans of that piece,

Post Modernist stuff? well personally I wouldn't go out of my way to see a Warhol.:)

Of course pollock laughed. There's nothing in them! The fact that random sees something in the composition proves pollack's point.

The ability to not put an ego into a painting was the artist's aim. The fact that mere mortals could find something was a reflection of their ego, not the artist's.

You have seen something in my words that is not there.

I commented on the mechanics and composition, careful placement of the poles and the even distribution of the supposedly chaotic paint colours. It would take some effort and thought to so evenly distribute those colours over such a large canvas.

Don't remember too many saying disparaging things about the opera house, which bit? Or just all of it?

Just my opinion. It is (or was) a startling erection but from a form and practicality perspective I find it ugly. Still it has launched a thousand Japenese home movies. I would like to hear an architect's opinion. Anyone? DG are you there?

I commented on the mechanics and composition, careful placement of the poles and the even distribution of the supposedly chaotic paint colours. It would take some effort and thought to so evenly distribute those colours over such a large canvas.

Holy fuck- I agree with you! Will wonders never cease....:)

You went to Art College!! That explains a lot :D

Friend of mine used to call the Opera House "The Bunch of Budgie Beaks" still..Could you imagine the harbour without it?

Better than our Big Bicky Barrel

The fact that he used an even number of dominant objects and makes it work I find facinating. Normally I don't like abstract pieces but I found myself looking at it longer than I expected which is kind of the point of good art in my mind.

And Blue poles, that could have gone so wrong, so quick.

The fact that he used an even number of dominant objects and makes it work I find facinating. Normally I don't like abstract pieces but I found myself looking at it longer than I expected which is kind of the point of good art in my mind.

Yeah, no shit. Around here is a blue Pole is someone that had too much vodka and ended up face down in a snow bank in the middle of winter.

Yeah, no shit. Around here is a blue Pole is someone that had too much vodka and ended up face down in a snow bank in the middle of winter.
Or any other nationality male, same situation, face up. ;)

You went to Art College!! That explains a lot :D

Yes competing the first year of a fine arts degree was 3 of the best years of my life.

The unkind term I heard for the Opera House was turtles fucking, I think it's great (the building that is.)

Better than a hideous neon casino...oops there about to do that next door aren't they ?

This is a good thread, and the Sydney Opera House is a wonder of contemporary architecture, a sailing race captured in cement, steel and glass.

Also, I don't know how anyone can see "nothing" in Poles. It looks like a more accurate rendition of a high plains forest fire than any photograph I've ever seen.

This is a good thread, and the Sydney Opera House is a wonder of contemporary architecture, a sailing race captured in cement, steel and glass.

Also, I don't know how anyone can see "nothing" in Poles. It looks like a more accurate rendition of a high plains forest fire than any photograph I've ever seen.

'Contemporary'? It was designed in 1957 mike.

It's true that Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...some people just don't have the right (left??) brain development..

As I said.I took my mother to the Degas exhibition ..because she said she's always liked his "Dancing Master"

She said rather loudly..Well..it's nice to see it ..but its not any different to mine is it!!?

(insert die with embarrassment smilie)

My dad was a hobby painter and loved perusing books on the subject...Mum?? well lets just say her favourite "painting" is Bubbles....by renoir :D

Some people like Paintings, some people like Golf..or even Tennis..It's all good

Hey,,thats a really interesting observation..Now I'll have to spend another 15 minutes trying to figure it out.. :D

Got it..He's got a larger space between the two central poles..divide the painting into 3rds..still balanced .and the thinner poles are 1/3 the thickness of the fatter..and the short poles are 2/3 of the long ones .Golden mean rules!!

I love Blue Poles, but like all art it is so much better in real life. I was blown away by Mona at Louvre. Up close the paint is so thick it is almost 3d and those eyes do follow you around the room.

I also love the Sydney Opera house and I am very proud that it is a prominent feature of my footy teams jersey.

In fact I love all out of the box architecture. One of the best things about the UAE was their willingness to experiment with structure and shape. Speaking of left of centre buildings in Sydney what do you all think of The University of Technology Sydney's crumbled bag building?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/feb/02/frank-gehry-says-his-uts-crumpled-paper-bag-building-wont-be-repeated

My favorite art has always been marble statues. Bernini is my favorite. The Borghese Gallery in Rome has an amazing collection.

Without looking up the architect..Influenced by Gaudi maybe?

It's unusual but can't say Im a fan..Embarrassed to confess I don't like Gaudi either

My favorite art has always been marble statues. Bernini is my favorite. The Borghese Gallery in Rome has an amazing collection.

Ha,,We went to rome years ago..Jimmy particulary wanted to see Bernini's David.. Borghese was closed for renovation..:( never got back there

I love Blue Poles, but like all art it is so much better in real life. I was blown away by Mona at Louvre. Up close the paint is so thick it is almost 3d and those eyes do follow you around the room.

I also love the Sydney Opera house and I am very proud that it is a prominent feature of my footy teams jersey.

In fact I love all out of the box architecture. One of the best things about the UAE was their willingness to experiment with structure and shape. Speaking of left of centre buildings in Sydney what do you all think of The University of Technology Sydney's crumbled bag building?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/feb/02/frank-gehry-says-his-uts-crumpled-paper-bag-building-wont-be-repeated

The UAE has *very* interesting architecture.

Now if they could just keep it all from burning down. . .

'Contemporary'? It was designed in 1957 mike.

Post WWII. But okay, modernist.

Art appreciation is a personal thing. The purchase of blue poles at the time was very controversial as the Whitlem government struggled to move labor away from its bogan roots and to pretend that they were something they weren't. They also appointed a poet to visit building sites to spray verse at blue collar workers. To this day the left feel a need to pretend they are all great appreciators of the arts by claiming to find great meaning in an over priced painting that looks like someone has spewed on a canvas after eating a Thai yellow curry and sponge cake with blue icing.

Holy fuck- I agree with you! Will wonders never cease.... :)

Art appreciation is a personal thing. The purchase of blue poles at the time was very controversial as the Whitlem government struggled to move labor away from its bogan roots and to pretend that they were something they weren't. They also appointed a poet to visit building sites to spray verse at blue collar workers. To this day the left feel a need to pretend they are all great appreciators of the arts by claiming to find great meaning in an over priced painting that looks like someone has spewed on a canvas after eating a Thai yellow curry and sponge cake with blue icing.

Are You Bipolar? or just irrationally cantankerous this afternoon? :D

I like Brett Whiteley. I have a print of this one, 'Balcony 2'. Sydney Harbour from his place 1975.

See Opera House top left.

116.1981%23%23S.jpg

I like Brett Whiteley. I have a print of this one, 'Balcony 2'. Sydney Harbour from his place 1975.

116.1981%23%23S.jpg

I never really liked Whiteleys stuff. It is sort of like Ken Done's world seen through the eyes of a smack addict.

Well your hero had a thing for great aussie literature. Mem fox, wasn't it?

116.1981%23%23S.jpg

I never really liked Whiteleys stuff. It is sort of like Ken Done's world seen through the eyes of a smack addict.

That's because he was a smack addict who managed to live longer than Pollock, who was an alcohol addict

c'mon guys this is a nice thread..BTW Ken Donne on smack..perzactly :)

Another Australian Modernist..Arthur Boyd.

His work is so much better than whiteley but too dark to "enjoy"

4J4PGQ6.jpg

FG is no AG! Notte evan closse.

:)

Its alright snaggs, shes english. No need to feel sorry for the rest of us aussies.

You'll have to lend me Snaggy's magic de coding ring to understand that one :)

Ah Gaudi..sorry..It makes me think of melted rainbow icecream cake :)

Never been to Barcelona though

Its alright snaggs, shes english. No need to feel sorry for the rest of us aussies.

Ahh yes, Barcelona, aka Gaudiville. A really pleasant, very cool city, nice local people, good food, good vibe. I wish I could find out what Gaudi was smoking, I want some too. The man definitely had an incredible imagination. You climb up the big hill to the Park Guell and BAM! Crazy, clever shit everywhere and a great view of the city to boot.

parc-guell.jpg

Sure, there is nothing in them. On purpose. But is there something in clouds? People look at them the world over and comment on the things they see, are they actually there? Of course not, and yet, they are. Of course what you see is always a reflection of yourself, and not necessarily the artist. And yet a simple painting of a woman like The Mona Lisa gives people the same opportunity to gaze and interpret whats there behind the smile. I believe that typically people see what they are feeling, is it a determined smile, is a suppressed smile, is it contentment, is it gas... No one knows, and yet people ponder.

If people gazed at a piece of art and didn't see something, then it wouldn't be art.

Ahh yes, Barcelona, aka Gaudiville. A really pleasant, very cool city, nice local people, good food, good vibe. I wish I could find out what Gaudi was smoking, I want some too. The man definitely had an incredible imagination. You climb up the big hill to the Park Guell and BAM! Crazy, clever shit everywhere and a great view of the city to boot.

parc-guell.jpg

So I understand...But next time I'm in spain I'll stick to Cordoba and Granada I think :)

(is that an actual Photo or something out of the new Baz Luhrmann filum? )

Sure, there is nothing in them. On purpose. But is there something in clouds? People look at them the world over and comment on the things they see, are they actually there? Of course not, and yet, they are. Of course what you see is always a reflection of yourself, and not necessarily the artist. And yet a simple painting of a woman like The Mona Lisa gives people the same opportunity to gaze and interpret whats there behind the smile. I believe that typically people see what they are feeling, is it a determined smile, is a suppressed smile, is it contentment, is it gas... No one knows, and yet people ponder.

If people gazed at a piece of art and didn't see something, then it wouldn't be art.

There is definitely abstract expression where there really is "nothing" in the work other than expression and emotion. But I think Poles isn't one of those, it's impressionist, there is actual discernable subject matter there.

Or any other nationality male, same situation, face up. ;)

Doesn't the too much vodka normally negate the second part of this scenario?

Just saying....

Well put.

If people gazed at a piece of art and didn't FEEL something, then it wouldn't be art.

I don't see anything in a Rothko, but I sure as hell FEEL something.