• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
bloodshot

2016 Melges 32 Worlds

How did the class go from 33 boats in 2012 to only 13 in 2016? same venue too.

a damn shame.

The rest of them are racing in the Opti class........................

Maybe because the Corinthian part of the fleet got tired of the war to pay as many 23 year olds as you can find.

The endless sail development and arsenal replenishment expenses perhaps?

I gotta imagine that the $8 Belles Breakfast burritos (charged to the owners tab of course) felt fun in the bottom of everyone's stomach yesterday.

Now you can count the days until the J-70 fleet experiences the same fall off the participation cliff. It happens over and over and over.

Nothing chases fun out of a fleet faster than people throwing money at trophies.

And then they get sailed PHRF.

By hack-diots. A phrase I just coined to describe a combination of hacks and idiots.

perfidiots is better

it defines weekend warriors as well as those who have no clew how ph works

How about the douche-vos family dropping in and pounding the fleet into submission with their billions?

Name a family that has done more for the sport, funded the creation of more classes, helped make professional sailing a sustainable career and employed more marine industry professionals and boat captains.

yes they are wealthy, and they use it for good purposes. Should they *not* sail because it's unfair to you somehow?

Why on earth are making "professional sailing a sustainable career" and "employing professional sailors" redeemable traits? They're perpetuating the professionalization of the sport which prices the average sailor out of campaign ownership and makes sailing an arms race that excludes amateurs because they simply can't compete either in time, skills, money, or all of the above.

Wanna see what I mean? The Corinthian division at the melges 32 worlds this year was 2 boats - one of which was paid for by the DeVos'.

Meanwhile, we have a real issue with getting 18-30 year olds to commit to crewing in the sport and 30-50 year olds to commit to boat ownership. If the DeVos family wanted to foster THOSE people, they should look at breaking down the barriers to entry for those people rather than building them higher.

How about the douche-vos family dropping in and pounding the fleet into submission with their billions?

Name a family that has done more for the sport, funded the creation of more classes, helped make professional sailing a sustainable career and employed more marine industry professionals and boat captains.

yes they are wealthy, and they use it for good purposes. Should they *not* sail because it's unfair to you somehow?

Apparently brown stain has not had any actual experiences with the Devos's and their program. Yes, they do hire a bunch of pros and they have a lot of cool expensive stuff but they are extremely helpful to the back markers. They share information, they help tune boats. They have tried to do everything to help the fleet.

Why on earth are making "professional sailing a sustainable career" and "employing professional sailors" redeemable traits? They're perpetuating the professionalization of the sport which prices the average sailor out of campaign ownership and makes sailing an arms race that excludes amateurs because they simply can't compete either in time, skills, money, or all of the above.

Wanna see what I mean? The Corinthian division at the melges 32 worlds this year was 2 boats - one of which was paid for by the DeVos'.

Meanwhile, we have a real issue with getting 18-30 year olds to commit to crewing in the sport and 30-50 year olds to commit to boat ownership. If the DeVos family wanted to foster THOSE people, they should look at breaking down the barriers to entry for those people rather than building them higher.

I hate to break it to you brownie, but campaigning sailboats on a national or international grand prix level is expensive whether on a melges 32 or a finn. But the good news is that there are a lot of classes and fleets that are not expensive. Pick one of those to sail. I guess you would have complained about the vanderbilts and liptons sailing their j boats back in the day. Quit complaining and go sail at the level you are comfortable with and let others do the same.

I hate to break it to you brownie, but campaigning sailboats on a national or international grand prix level is expensive whether on a melges 32 or a finn. But the good news is that there are a lot of classes and fleets that are not expensive. Pick one of those to sail. I guess you would have complained about the vanderbilts and liptons sailing their j boats back in the day. Quit complaining and go sail at the level you are comfortable with and let others do the same.

+1 Why do people have to bitch? Spend one day...hell, spend one hour around any of the DeVos programs/family members etc, and you will see why they are highly respected by many of those they come into contact with.

And then they get sailed PHRF.

By hack-diots. A phrase I just coined to describe a combination of hacks and idiots.

perfidiots is better

it defines weekend warriors as well as those who have no clew how ph works

Dockstars. I coined that years ago. Works for 1 design also.

a damn shame.

How bout nobody cares about over canvased sport boats because it takes too many with ability to control it...............unless you live in light air SD where nobody sails.

When will designers understand that, if you do not design a boat that the masses can sail, no one will sail it.

If ISAF or WS keeps making rules for the 1% pro's, the rest of the sailing community will continue to walk away.

Cater to the Masses and live with the Classes.

Cater to the Classes and live with the Masses

Anyone get that??? I hope the new lead for WS does.

I'd really like to have a lunch with whoever it is.

a damn shame.

How bout nobody cares about over canvased sport boats because it takes too many with ability to control it...............unless you live in light air SD where nobody sails.

When will designers understand that, if you do not design a boat that the masses can sail, no one will sail it.

If ISAF or WS keeps making rules for the 1% pro's, the rest of the sailing community will continue to walk away.

Actually a shit ton of us enjoy over-canvassed sport boats. Sorry that it doesn't fit your bitchy agenda.

a damn shame.

Okay

but you're buying.

Ultimate 20, Viper 640 or any other local fleet. You can't have Grand Prix without the "grand".

The Melges folks get bored and move on to something else. In the meantime, some of us get to sail with and against the best out there. And some of us get to pick up kick ass boats for 25% of their original cost.

I spent more on my last mountain bike than I did on my recent boat purchase. You don't have to be rich, you just have to want to sail.

helped make professional sailing a sustainable career

You make it sound like that's self-evidently a good thing.

because it is. my friends who get paid to play the game, are currently getting paid to play the game

Look at all the great old war horses we are now sailing that were once "the" class. I recently got one of those old top end boats (for it's day) and have been really impressed with the amount of help from some of the veteran pros offering to help me set the boat up. So I'm OK with money pouring into the sport, we all benefit from it.

because it is. my friends who get paid to play the game, are currently getting paid to play the game

That makes it self-evidently nice for you and you friends. Nice for you isn't the necessarily the same as a good thing for the sport.