Sign in to follow this  
PeterHuston

World Sailing "strategic positioning" and being green

World Failing sent this out the other day. Not that in the scheme of things it really means all that much to about 99.9999% of people who actually race sailboats. But whatever, let them try to "regulate" the sport. Between the current apathy and more regulation it should only serve to hasten their demise.

The joke of this is that the Executive Committee has now basically turned everything over to a non-sailor. They seem to think they can do a better job of commercializing sailing all of the sudden. Good luck with that.

Luca Devoti does an excellent job refuting their whole "green" thing too.

http://devotiluca.com/sailing-still-green/

For immediate release: Tuesday 4 October 2016

Issued on behalf of World Sailing

World Sailing launches new strategic positioning: Sailing - Sport, Nature and Technology in perfect harmony

World Sailing is pleased to announce a new strategic positioning for the sport, expressed in a new, fresh and modern brand identity.

A stronger and more contemporary visual identity alongside a new vision and mission puts sport, nature and technology at its core and fully completes the transition from the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) to World Sailing which commenced in November 2015.

The new brand identity has been rolled out across World Sailing's digital properties alongside the release of a short film highlighting sailors, coaches, sailing fans and sports fans reinforcement of the new positioning. Click here to view the film.

World Sailing's Vision and Mission:

Vision: A world in which millions more people fall in love with sailing; inspired by the unique relationship between sport, technology and the forces of nature; we all work to protect the waters of the world.

Mission:
To make sailing more exciting and accessible for everyone to participate or watch; and use our reach and influence to create a sustainable future for our sport and the waters of the world:
• To create, and regulate, exciting competition events to showcase the natural power of wind driven water sport;
• To build a strong profile and image for sailing – using our key points of difference to resonate with people and give them a lifetime of sport;
• To create a tangible sustainability programme that maximises the positive effect that the sailing community can have on our environment.

All of this can be encapsulated in a simple message: sport, technology & nature in perfect harmony.

World Sailing CEO Andy Hunt commented, "World Sailing has to adapt and seize opportunities and our new positioning captures both the substance and emotion of why we all have a passion for sailing.

"A more contemporary brand identity for World Sailing represents our new proposition to ensure we stand out in what is a very crowded marketplace and provide us with the flexibility to meet the communication needs of a modern, complex, multi-channel organisation.

"We hope that new brand identity will resonate well with fans, sponsors and the sailing community and captures the collective desire of Sailors to be the guardians of the Ocean.”

At World Sailing's 2016 Annual Conference in Barcelona, Spain the new brand will come to life, enabling the sailing community to explore how to maximise the impact of the new Vision and Mission.

Sailing will be laying down plans for a healthy sustainable future for the sport, as well as the more specific subject of sustainability in the waters of the world. The dialogue and engagement will be centred on an overarching theme of, 'Our Sustainable Future'.

By Daniel Smith - World Sailing

Editors' notes:

CONTACT
World Sailing Marketing and Media Department
Tel: + 44 2380 635 111
Email: marketing@sailing.org

ABOUT WORLD SAILING
World Sailing is the world governing body for the sport of sailing.

World Sailing is made up of 141 Member National Authorities (MNAs), who are its principal members, and responsible for the decision making process that governs the sailing world.

There are currently more than 100 World Sailing classes, ranging from the small dinghy classes for young people up to 60-foot ocean racers.

For more information about World Sailing please go to sailing.org or contact marketing@sailing.org

b13fddc0655d72f7dda5448a82d9fd58.jpg

Phone: +44 (0)2380 635111
Fax: +44 (0)2380 635789
Postal Address: World Sailing (UK) Ltd, Ariadne House, Town Quay Southampton, SO14 2AQ, United Kingdom
Email: www.sailing.org/contactworldsailing

Copyright World Sailing (UK) LTD. All Rights Reserved.
Please read our Disclaimer and Copyright Notice

This Press Release has been sent by Sotic on behalf of World Sailing

The more regulations added (whether intended to be good or not), the more rules are established in the pursuit of perfection, the less participation is. Every improvement becomes a complication for the sailor.

Obviously there is nothing in that piece that addresses increased participation.

And it's not as though the RYA hadn't had their 2017-20 rulebooks printed with the old logo, and were on the way from China.

Oh, hang on...

If anyone has any questions for Kim Anderson, the Dane running for ISAF president against Henderson and Croce, feel free to post them. We are talking today, and then doing a proper long interview next week. I also requested Henderson and Croce for interviews, but am not holding my breath!

If anyone has any questions for Kim Anderson, the Dane running for ISAF president against Henderson and Croce, feel free to post them. We are talking today, and then doing a proper long interview next week. I also requested Henderson and Croce for interviews, but am not holding my breath!

What are his thoughts/plans on:

The new disciplinary process? Why is this good for sailors? How are right to work issues protected?

Which classes should be in the Olympics and why?

Why should the World Cup dictate the schedule for Olympic classes at the expense of class autonomy?

What is he going to do to to change/improve the Group 1 and 3 system?

Who are the shareholders of World Sailing Management?

Where does the money flow to and from World Sailing Management?

What sort of compensation do these shareholders get?

I loved the "green" link. Imagine a dinghy race. The parking lot is full of cars and trucks with boats on trailers and the water is full of RIBs. Probably uses near as much gas as a powerboat race :rolleyes:

New logo looks like the something wafting up and over Sugarloaf in Rio

If it's supposed to be a kite and main, then they need to grind the kite to made.

What could World Sailing possibly do that added one more boat to a local fleet on a starting line anywhere in the world?

I want a real answer, not some fluff "We encourage that all of the time." I hate the political speak.

That reads like it was generated from the dilbert mission statement generator

My thoughts exactly.

Sailing isn't green. Luca Devoti is however a grumpy old man. Claiming the Finn is greener than the 49er is just daft.

It doesn't matter; ISAF and dozens of teams/classes/MNAs have been eco-fying themselves for more than a decade, but it hasn't really panned out the way they envisioned. There is nothing new here, and no real substance - I think WS/ISAF wants to play 'look at the monkey' a little in the hopes that their members and the public don't notice what they are really spending most of their time and income on, which is revenue stream development.

What are his thoughts/plans on:

The new disciplinary process? Why is this good for sailors? How are right to work issues protected?

Which classes should be in the Olympics and why?

Why should the World Cup dictate the schedule for Olympic classes at the expense of class autonomy?

What is he going to do to to change/improve the Group 1 and 3 system?

Who are the shareholders of World Sailing Management?

Where does the money flow to and from World Sailing Management?

What sort of compensation do these shareholders get?

Good questions PH. We had a nice 30 minute chat, he is a good and straight up guy. Like Henderson, he is only running because of the mess ISAF is in, and the unpalatability of seeing it run further into the ground. We are doing an hour long interview for the SA Podcast next Thursday, and Henderson is Tuesday. I'm sending a request to Croce now :wub:

Folks please ask your questions and I'll pass them along to the candidates.

The short version of the press release is pure wank. Absolute shit.

World Sailing is pleased to announce a new strategic positioning for the sport, expressed in a new, fresh and modern brand identity. A stronger and more contemporary visual identity alongside a new vision and mission puts sport, nature and technology at its core and fully completes the transition from the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) to World Sailing which commenced in November 2015. Find out more here http://www.sailing.org/news/41069.php#.V_OpYNyBIo0

Consider: sailors are only about 10% of all boaters. Racers are only about 10% of all sailors. Only 10% of racers give a shit about ISAF/WS. They're putting a lot of resources into trying to give the illusion of relevance, and only the tiniest fraction of boaters would even notice or care if they closed up shop.

Consider: sailors are only about 10% of all boaters. Racers are only about 10% of all sailors. Only 10% of racers give a shit about ISAF/WS. They're putting a lot of resources into trying to give the illusion of relevance, and only the tiniest fraction of boaters would even notice or care if they closed up shop.

As the famous Bruce Campbell from Seattle said, "If World Sailing and US Sailing disappeared today, we still would go out and race tomorrow."

World Failing sent this out the other day. Not that in the scheme of things it really means all that much to about 99.9999% of people who actually race sailboats. But whatever, let them try to "regulate" the sport. Between the current apathy and more regulation it should only serve to hasten their demise.

The joke of this is that the Executive Committee has now basically turned everything over to a non-sailor. They seem to think they can do a better job of commercializing sailing all of the sudden. Good luck with that.

World Sailing launches new strategic positioning: Sailing - Sport, Nature and Technology in perfect harmony

World Sailing is pleased to announce a new strategic positioning for the sport, expressed in a new, fresh and modern brand identity.

A stronger and more contemporary visual identity alongside a new vision and mission puts sport, nature and technology at its core and fully completes the transition from the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) to World Sailing which commenced in November 2015.

The new brand identity has been rolled out across World Sailing's digital properties alongside the release of a short film highlighting sailors, coaches, sailing fans and sports fans reinforcement of the new positioning. Click here to view the film.

Vision: A world in which millions more people fall in love with sailing; inspired by the unique relationship between sport, technology and the forces of nature; we all work to protect the waters of the world.

Mission:

To make sailing more exciting and accessible for everyone to participate or watch; and use our reach and influence to create a sustainable future for our sport and the waters of the world:

To create, and regulate, exciting competition events to showcase the natural power of wind driven water sport;

To build a strong profile and image for sailing using our key points of difference to resonate with people and give them a lifetime of sport;

To create a tangible sustainability programme that maximises the positive effect that the sailing community can have on our environment.

All of this can be encapsulated in a simple message: sport, technology & nature in perfect harmony.

World Sailing CEO Andy Hunt commented, "World Sailing has to adapt and seize opportunities and our new positioning captures both the substance and emotion of why we all have a passion for sailing.

"A more contemporary brand identity for World Sailing represents our new proposition to ensure we stand out in what is a very crowded marketplace and provide us with the flexibility to meet the communication needs of a modern, complex, multi-channel organisation.

"We hope that new brand identity will resonate well with fans, sponsors and the sailing community and captures the collective desire of Sailors to be the guardians of the Ocean.

At World Sailing's 2016 Annual Conference in Barcelona, Spain the new brand will come to life, enabling the sailing community to explore how to maximise the impact of the new Vision and Mission.

Sailing will be laying down plans for a healthy sustainable future for the sport, as well as the more specific subject of sustainability in the waters of the world. The dialogue and engagement will be centred on an overarching theme of, 'Our Sustainable Future'.

Editors' notes:

CONTACT

ABOUT WORLD SAILING

World Sailing is made up of 141 Member National Authorities (MNAs), who are its principal members, and responsible for the decision making process that governs the sailing world.

There are currently more than 100 World Sailing classes, ranging from the small dinghy classes for young people up to 60-foot ocean racers.

For more information about World Sailing please go to sailing.org or contact marketing@sailing.org

Postal Address: World Sailing (UK) Ltd, Ariadne House, Town Quay Southampton, SO14 2AQ, United Kingdom

Please read our Disclaimer and Copyright Notice.

Jesus Christ, I fell asleep after about the first 5 lines. I'm almost glad I weaned myself of sailing a few years ago, because that would make me quit in a heartbeat.

What the fuck is going on?

ISAF's biggest problem (not I am not going to call them "World Sailing" - what a wank) is that they want to run things, where where they came from and where they should remain is a coordinating body for rules and regulations between sailing federations. Let them set the rules and safety standards, but for christ's sake, keep their noses out of everything else.

"World Sailing" just smacks of fascist centralist control mentality. We don't need a central body trying to enforce these standards. As others have said, it is irrelevant for 99.9% of sailor and 99% of racing sailors. This can best be done locally or at the class level. And as for banning participation in non-sanctioned events - how far from the ideals of encouraging sailing has this organisation fallen?

I could go on, but need to watch my blood pressure!

If you look under "new to sailing" to see the different types, under "Cruising" is a photo of a sailboat motoring along with its sails furled and fenders out on deck. Very cruisy! Pretty slick website though.

And it's not as though the RYA hadn't had their 2017-20 rulebooks printed with the old logo, and were on the way from China.

Oh, hang on...

Well that demonstrates a laudable global orientation on RYA's part.

Just remember that something like 4/5 of their annual budget money is income from the IOC. The rest of us are mere mortals in their eyes.

My take on it is: who cares? Let WS have their pet projects. Promoting the sport to be "supposedly" green will not drive anyone away. And there's more than enough gullible idiots out there who will jump on any "green" bandwagon.

I saw this as nothing more than marketing. So what? I didn't get the sense there was a slew of regulations coming down governing the sport. This is simply a way to make themselves relevant and maybe get some of the gullible greenie corporations to back the sport. If it gets new sponsors to the do anything supporting the sport, how is that a bad thing?

Anyone ever heard of Vestas Wind? I certainly had not until they had their name on a big ass spinnaker and Mainsail going around the world.

The rest of us are mere mortals in their eyes.

You are not a mortal then? Gosh.

Mission:

• To create, and regulate, exciting competition events to showcase the natural power of wind driven water sport;

• To build a strong profile and image for sailing – using our key points of difference to resonate with people and give them a lifetime of sport;

• To create a tangible sustainability programme that maximises the positive effect that the sailing community can have on our environment.

"We hope that new brand identity will resonate well with fans, sponsors and the sailing community and captures the collective desire of Sailors to be the guardians of the Ocean.”

Editors' notes:

CONTACT

ABOUT WORLD SAILING

I think it is a HUGE mistake trying to market sailing exclusively as a competitive sport. Racing is a very small subset of sailing with a lot of crossover between cruising and racing. there is a lot left on the table by only promoting the racing aspect.

My take on it is: who cares? Let WS have their pet projects. Promoting the sport to be "supposedly" green will not drive anyone away. And there's more than enough gullible idiots out there who will jump on any "green" bandwagon.

I saw this as nothing more than marketing. So what? I didn't get the sense there was a slew of regulations coming down governing the sport. This is simply a way to make themselves relevant and maybe get some of the gullible greenie corporations to back the sport. If it gets new sponsors to the do anything supporting the sport, how is that a bad thing?

Anyone ever heard of Vestas Wind? I certainly had not until they had their name on a big ass spinnaker and Mainsail going around the world.

Nah - it is only the world's largest wind power company (1/2 of the world's installed wind-power) - who on earth would ever have heard about them

Mission:

Editors' notes:

CONTACT

ABOUT WORLD SAILING

I think it is a HUGE mistake trying to market sailing exclusively as a competitive sport. Racing is a very small subset of sailing with a lot of crossover between cruising and racing. there is a lot left on the table by only promoting the racing aspect.

Yes - but as pointed out above, that's not where the money is, so its DGAF from WS and other international sailing bodies.

Does international athletics support jogging as a recreation?

Mission:

Editors' notes:

CONTACT

ABOUT WORLD SAILING

Yes - but as pointed out above, that's not where the money is, so its DGAF from WS and other international sailing bodies.

Many sports support the recreational aspect for multiple reasons: As a funnel for potential athletes and a great pool for spectating and sponsorship value

Mission:

Editors' notes:

CONTACT

ABOUT WORLD SAILING

Many sports support the recreational aspect for multiple reasons: As a funnel for potential athletes and a great pool for spectating and sponsorship value

Agreed -- maybe I was picking the odd one out. WS are very short sighted -- and unfortunately are beholden to the olympic cash flow. Just look at disabled sailing - one really positive success story at the local level in many places, and they dump it!

So propose a bottoms up organization that solves the ISAF and other National/Regional Authority nonsense.

What do most sailors who would ever care about a hierarchical organization want?

1. Some means of competing between boats/fleets/regions/nations
    1. Coordinated Rules across fleets/regions/nations

2. Judging and Appeals processes

3. Registration/regulation of competitors where relevant

4. Registration/regulation of vendors where relevant

5. Recognition of class status to establish what is an "International" boat vs a local.

6. Recognition of measurers/certificates for inter-organizational racing

2. Establishment of "world" championship and Olympic events

1. necessary additional protocols

3. minimal lobbying as needed

So propose a bottoms up organization that solves the ISAF and other National/Regional Authority nonsense.

What do most sailors who would ever care about a hierarchical organization want?

• Some means of competing between boats/fleets/regions/nations
    • Coordinated Rules across fleets/regions/nations

• Judging and Appeals processes

• Registration/regulation of competitors where relevant

• Registration/regulation of vendors where relevant

• Recognition of class status to establish what is an "International" boat vs a local.

• Recognition of measurers/certificates for inter-organizational racing

• Establishment of "world" championship and Olympic events

• necessary additional protocols

• minimal lobbying as needed

People were racing sailboats and having fun long before any of that shit....I'd say most of it is unnecessary and merely to justify their existence.

Casual racing your buddy doesn't need rules, less casual you start to need them, and the framework that they work in. Most organizations grow for the sake of growing, natural conflict.

My thoughts exactly.

Sailing isn't green. Luca Devoti is however a grumpy old man. Claiming the Finn is greener than the 49er is just daft.

I think his point is that Finns remain competitive for much longer than 49er does, and so the carbon 'cost' per year is much lower. I'm sailing 40 year old Finn hull. Who is going to be sailing 40 year old 49ers?

Question to all three candidates: which organisations should be entitled to run world and continental championships?

I would ask Mr Andersen who World Sailing is supposed to benefit as in his release he doesn't directly mention the sailor once. According to him the stakeholders are class associations and MNAs - WRONG!

My understanding is that all MNAs have the same voice in ISAF yet some pay a hell of a lot less in fees to ISAF than others - how can that be correct?

This is the same flawed bureaucratic nonsense that resulted in BREXIT. The sailors have no direct access to the body that governs them.

Are any of the candidates planning to give any more freedom or right of access to the average sailor as at the moment it can be difficult for sailors to get justice or even simple information that is accurate and not biased in some shape or form.

El Pres needs to listen to the people who actually download the ISAF RRS because that is all most people need ISAF for

SS

Could sailing afford someone like greenpeace to look at it...
Might find its the worlds largest plastic polluter.
How much plastic gets dropped into the sea due to sailing???
Not to mention lead

How would a trend look like over the last 30 years, powerboating getting cleaner and sailing??
Unless boats are made from renewable timber and sails from recycled material, sailing should stfu.

Until WS is weaned from the nipple of the Olympics, they will become increasingly irrelevant to the vast majority of sailors - competitive and recreational. It's this dependency that skewes the agenda. Let world championships be recognised as the best gauge of sailing performance (olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport)- let there be a focus on "Raids" and "Cruising in Company" style events to encourage sailing participation and camaraderie. Lets get support for clubs to assist them in delivering sailing programs at all levels, instead of sending our kids off to elite coaches and "squads" operating outside of clubs....

We could take a leaf out of Surf Lifesaving's playbook. They demand that every lifesaver who wants to compete at a state, national or international event has completed a minimum number of active patrol hours at their club each year.....it means good clubs attract competitive athletes, that youngsters get to train with their heroes...and that everybody contributes to their club activity....and that the club assists their competitors to attend major events....talent and commitment, not family bank balances determines who progresses.

Sports politicians and administrators in Ivory towers is the antithesis of the greatest attraction our sport offers....freedom. They should be viewed as a necessary evil and be kept in check by regular evaluation against key performance requirements - as established by ......the membership of the sailing community.

Not much at all compared to the fishing industry. That's certainly how it looks on British beaches.

Doesn't mean I think sailing is green, I do not.

Not much at all compared to the fishing industry. That's certainly how it looks on British beaches.

Doesn't mean I think sailing is green, I do not.

hey..without the fishing industry we wouldnt have all our fancy fibers

Clean interviews Paul Henderson - it's 90+ minutes, but well worth the listen.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2016/10/13/political-anarchy/

It is a very good interview and gives a great insight to PH. A couple of things:

There was discussion about the youth worlds in Malaysia. PH conveniently forgot the Fiona Kidd, Canada, was chair of the youth world sub-scommitte that approved the youth worlds in Malaysia. She was also on the Events Committee which rubber stamped it. And I think she was on Council representing the Woman that rubber stamped it. Kidd and Henderson are friends. So when people say ISAF did this perhaps it should be looked at who actually gave the recommendation.

Henderson saying international classes should get vote for president is possibly a good idea. Classes think beyond their borders unlike the MNA. When he was president for 10 years why didn't Henderson make the submission then? It is never going to happen as the MNAs will never give up their control.

Still the most forward thinking of the candidates.

Andersen was another long and good chat. not quite as fun as Henderson, but then again he is a Dane. :P

Andersen was another long and good chat. not quite as fun as Henderson, but then again he is a Dane. :P

Yes, thanks it was a good interview.

dull sport has dull colors in its logo or did I miss the message in the new logo?

I was at a meeting where Paul H spoke. At the end of his presentation, he said that, if he hadn't offended you at some point, you hadn't been listening very well. I thought he was pretty good at his job last time. A breath of fresh air today.