• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
gjbike

FE28R and FE23R at Annapolis

The day you posted this, I was there checking them out.

Couldn't stick around, but - did you guys get to line up against the SeaScapes and see how they go in comparison ?

The day you posted this, I was there checking them out.

Couldn't stick around, but - did you guys get to line up against the SeaScapes and see how they go in comparison ?

We raceded shorthanded this summer, 5 FE28R,1 FE23R against seascape 24 and 2 27s. FE in the top of the list and we sailed past the 24 and the 27 quite easily. The seascapes were in the mif and lower end of the list of 100 boats.

I can't speak of the level of the sailors onboard, but you can clearly see that the FEs are light sportboats and the SCs are more stuck to the water.

I own an Xtreme 25 and a FE28. The Xtreme 25 (now called a 26) is very similar to the GP26 in size and design The FE 28 is a much bigger boat. It feels like a much bigger boat ( more stable). The cockpit is bigger. There is much more room to maneuver in front of the mast such that going forward feels much safer. Performance wise they are close. The FE28 I believe is easier to sail (remember this is a comparison to the Xtreme- I have not sailed a GP 26). In my club I have a PHRF of 90 for the Xtreme and 54 for the FE28 but I am more competitive in the FE28 because it is easier to sail to it's polars with my skills. In a real life head to head matchup it would depend more on the skill of the crew than boat performance. All else being equal the FE28 should be a little faster due to the longer waterline.

How does the FE28R compare to the GP26?

Any B2B experience/results?

Wraceboats GP26s raced against FE28 and F280 too in KW. the results are at.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=1390

Better sailed GP26 was ahead of the other two in a lot of races B2B despite being 2 feet smaller and got the first gun in a fair share of races...J80 who finished minimum 5minutes behind corrected to win the class with a stupid rating.

How does the FE28R compare to the GP26?

Any B2B experience/results?

Wraceboats GP26s raced against FE28 and F280 too in KW. the results are at.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=1390

Better sailed GP26 was ahead of the other two in a lot of races B2B despite being 2 feet smaller and got the first gun in a fair share of races...J80 who finished minimum 5minutes behind corrected to win the class with a stupid rating.

How do they compare $2$?

Wraceboats gp26 $68.9K usa port delivered price no sails, electronics, trailer epoxy foam cored hi tech build with carbom mast boom bowsprit keel fin and rudder. FE about $50K I think 4 single skin fiberglass vinylester with alu mast boom bowsprit...

sorry to hijack the tread for further info pls pm.

The FE28R hull is constructed using a polyester/foam-core sandwich which is vacuum infused same as most all modern boats. I had a professional boat repairman cut a hole for the speed/depth transducer and I specifically asked him about construction quality and he reassured me the core showed even and complete resin penetration and felt the boat was built well. I have been sailing/racing it now ever weekend for a year with no defects/breakdowns and it still looks brand new. The price for my one season old boat included a new Yamaha 4hp engine. original jib,main and spinnaker and new North jib and spinnaker and new double axle all aluminum trailer with custom bunks. I suspect China is helping out its manufacturers because the price is nothing short of incredible.

We raceded shorthanded this summer, 5 FE28R,1 FE23R against seascape 24 and 2 27s. FE in the top of the list and we sailed past the 24 and the 27 quite easily. The seascapes were in the mif and lower end of the list of 100 boats.

I can't speak of the level of the sailors onboard, but you can clearly see that the FEs are light sportboats and the SCs are more stuck to the water.

As we have the exact opposite experience against FE23R competing with the SSC24 this season over here, I would question the level of sailors on board the 24...

How about a ~24' boat demo weekend somewhere in the Western USA? Would love the opportunity to compare this new breed of sporties against local standards like the Melges 24. Maybe throw in a J70 for comparison. While speed is important, the goal would be to identify the boat which works best for a particular individual.

Locally, we have a U24, but I'm not sure if I could talk the owner in dragging it to the coast for a demo day. Would like to help in someway (but bringing a J24 along would be like taking a rubberband to a gun fight).

The question as to which boat is the fastest could really only be answered scientifically in a wind tunnel. The performance differences in a GP26 vs FE28R vs a SC24 vs a Melges 24 are much smaller than the differences introduced by rig tune, sail quality and crew skills. One bad spinnaker set can decide a race. The only time I can confidently say my boat is faster is when another boat is side by side in the same wind with me and we are trying to outrun each other. These races are always going to have mixed results. The polar diagrams can give you some clue as to what a particular boat is capable of doing, and in a very rough way same is true for handicaps.

We raceded shorthanded this summer, 5 FE28R,1 FE23R against seascape 24 and 2 27s. FE in the top of the list and we sailed past the 24 and the 27 quite easily. The seascapes were in the mif and lower end of the list of 100 boats.I can't speak of the level of the sailors onboard, but you can clearly see that the FEs are light sportboats and the SCs are more stuck to the water.

As we have the exact opposite experience against FE23R competing with the SSC24 this season over here, I would question the level of sailors on board the 24...

I think he was sailing the FE 28 not the 23

Bring the boats to SF Bay. We can round up two or more local crews of highly skilled sporty racers and have them race the boats in a series of round robin races trading boats between races. Heck, we can mix the crews an do it again.

The Great West Coast Sporty Sail Off!

All three Sea Scapes, GP 26, The Farout Far Easts, a U24 if one can be found...what else.

Bring the boats to SF Bay. We can round up two or more local crews of highly skilled sporty racers and have them race the boats in a series of round robin races trading boats between races. Heck, we can mix the crews an do it again.

All three Sea Scapes, GP 26, The Farout Far Easts, a U24 if one can be found...what else.

let's do it! I know a U24 owner.

I've never sailed a J70, but my last boat was a Melges24 and so far the Fareast 23R seems a bit slower but is sooooo much nicer to sail... boom is higher, the wide cockpit seems roomier even though it's shorter, the gap between the spreaders and the leech of the jib is more open making the kite launches easier. That said, it's a bit sticky in light air and that's ALL we've had since I got the damn thing! we've had ONE day with breeze and got a nice 15 knot ride (before the tack line let go) and it seemed a bit comfier than the M24 at that speed with 4 guys.

let's do it! I know a U24 owner.

Unfortunately we do not hae any Wraceboats GP26s on the west coast. Will be able to offer test sails in East Coast out of Annapolis where the fleet is concentrated. For info pls PM.