Sign in to follow this  
RedTuna

RS Aero at LCYC Wurstfest Regatta

Okay, Wurstfesters, what kind of racing do you want? The PRO for Portsmouth Dinghy and Aeros has asked for some input to help ensure you have fun. I see some of the Aeros registered play in this forum, so I'll start here.

1. Preferred course (w-l, triangle, mix, gates, offsets, etc.).

2. Length of course (time or distance).

3. Suggested start sequence by fleet. Shared start?

4. Do all Aeros, (5, 7, & 9) race as a single class? OD?

Yeah, some of the questions may seem a little odd, but the Aeros will be sharing the course with Portsmouth Dinghy. Looks like the 7s and 9s will fleet out if everyone shows, but there are some registered that didn't specify. Not sure if anyone is planning on sailing a 5.

KO Sailing may still have some Aeros for charter, if you're interested.

If you know someone registered that doesn't play here, please point them to this thread if they'd like input.

Thanks

KO is currently booked on charters for the event.

Would prefer to start all of the Aero's together but possibly score 9's and 7's seperately? A few may size down depending on breeze conditions.

Also wouldn't mind seeing a trapezoid course or some reaching for the Aero's

Maybe Share a course with the Lasers ?? They need about the same courses to have fun

OK

After a year running py races and aero races here are my answers to your questions.

1) triangle sausage triangle, or trapezoid with long reaches are the best... Servo sailors like a blast.... Preferred is dead reach or broad of dead

2)if you have the numbers then start the rigs as separate fleets. Always start 9s then 7s then 5s or you risk pile ups at the first mark. Aim for 45 minutes to 1 hour races... Although sprints are fun as well.. The three rigs also lend themselves to a pursuit type race for fun.

3) if starting together then ok... Score according to py.... Beware current py scores favour the bigger rigs.... The fives will struggle unless it is blowing hard.

4) as an aside you can use an entry py system... If you enter a series as a 7 you could sail a 5 for one race and still score as if a 7....think of it as a reef.

5) aero racing is great fun to organize and run...

240 lb me had a pretty even contest with a 140 pound guy on a 7 innvery light wind

He had speed on me

Thanks Fred. Are you thinking about a switch? A bunch of ex (and current) viper / Vx sailors in Texas are looking at a single handed option to mess with and this might be a top runner.

And for the same money you would pick the Aero over the foiling UFO because?????

... because the Aero has a cupholder, of course.

And for the same money you would pick the Aero over the foiling UFO because?????

I am a big fan of the UFO concept but...

The Aero is real in that you can buy a boat anywhere, any time, find fleets (much smaller than Laser but fleets still) racing, and there are folks like TM and others supporting and trying to grow a real class.

Way cool, really like it, and hope its the future, but the UFO is still a long way from that. Its more but barely more than a concept and few prototypes at this stage.

Thanks Fred. Are you thinking about a switch? A bunch of ex (and current) viper / Vx sailors in Texas are looking at a single handed option to mess with and this might be a top runner.

I will chase the singlehanded sailing game wherever it goes. I will need a Laser regardless because my old man friends will sail masters regattas in Lasers and I very much love visiting that group when it assembles and I can afford to go play.

Meanwhile, as nobody sells New Lasers in the USA anymore and parts are unavailable and there has been no class promotion for fifteen years now, I suspect those who are new to the sport will gravitate to the exciting new dealer supported toy rather than seeking out the old man's fleet of hard to get 1960s sluggish by comparison Lasers.

Hey guys, JJ here. Been lurking - cant remember the old login password or even email I used to set up the ultraracer account. (ugh)

Most of us haven't even seen an aero yet - limited beta test at Wurstfest. We just want to go around the course with our friends and have fun. I can be an orphan with some limited local fleet racing on an Acat or F18, both are way quicker than a UFO. I also always consider running cost when looking at price, any idea what a new set of sails for the UFO would run?

Frankly I appreciate the effort RS is putting up here, this demo trailer is good business. My impression is that they are committed to supporting a fleet in Texas and wont have their hands in our pockets at ever turn.

If this boat has cup holders mark might be presented with a cash offer for the demo trailer and all it's contents Saturday night. With this group, could happen ;-) Of course we're all middle aged guys so a full compliment of 9 rigs would need to be part of the deal.

One energetic spark-plug can build a fleet. Having a half dozen with good support could be a game-changer. Feel that bern??

I will chase the singlehanded sailing game wherever it goes. I will need a Laser regardless because my old man friends will sail masters regattas in Lasers and I very much love visiting that group when it assembles and I can afford to go play.

Meanwhile, as nobody sells New Lasers in the USA anymore and parts are unavailable and there has been no class promotion for fifteen years now, I suspect those who are new to the sport will gravitate to the exciting new dealer supported toy rather than seeking out the old man's fleet of hard to get 1960s sluggish by comparison Lasers.

"Nobody sells new laser in the USA anymore"

I can usually follow what you mean but you lost me on that one Gouv. Its very easy to buy new Lasers in the USA.

http://www.apsltd.com/buy-new-dinghy-sailboats/buy-laser-dinghy-sailboat.html

Easy to buy parts too.

by the way, what's up with the wurstfest/gov cup schedule conflict? Two of the most popular regatta's in central texas and they land on the same week?

I guess AYC put no thought into its scheduling.

Certainly putting the event opposite Wurstfest centerboard should effectively kill off participation in Gov cup by anyone who has a Sunfish, Laser, or toy that competes in the Classless Fleet.

I can usually follow what you mean but you lost me on that one Gouv. Its very easy to buy new Lasers in the USA.

Easy to buy parts too.

There are no stocking Laser Dealers within 1000 miles of my dying fleet.

The US Laser manufacturing facilities have been closed and the workers we used to employ by buying their product were all left to go look for new jobs.

The tooling that used to make 100,000 toys for North America has. been shipped to the other side of the world.

The singlehanded sailboat racing market has been abandoned by the Laser Manufacturer and is wide open for whoever wants to serve the half billion potential customers in North America.

If this boat has cup holders mark might be presented with a cash offer for the demo trailer and all it's contents Saturday night. With this group, could happen ;-) Of course we're all middle aged guys so a full compliment of 9 rigs would need to be part of the deal.

One energetic spark-plug can build a fleet. Having a half dozen with good support could be a game-changer. Feel that bern??

I was thinking similarly. Or just after whenever the last regatta of the season is for KO.

Your energy and enthusiasm are pretty amazing. Came real close to buying a Viper, even though it wasn't the boat for me.

by the way, what's up with the wurstfest/gov cup schedule conflict? Two of the most popular regatta's in central texas and they land on the same week?

LCYC's Wurstfest Regattas are always the weekends of, well, Wurstfest. Nothing much posted on AYC's site, so no telling what classes to expect. Or whom to expect.

Looking at some of the names registered with Aeros for the 'fest, I'm really impressed.

Easy to buy parts too.

The US Laser manufacturing facilities have been closed and the workers we used to employ by buying their product were all left to go look for new jobs.

The tooling that used to make 100,000 toys for North America has. been shipped to the other side of the world.

The singlehanded sailboat racing market has been abandoned by the Laser Manufacturer and is wide open for whoever wants to serve the half billion potential customers in North America.

Lots of things we agree Gouv including building access, grass roots and junior sailing. But nobody "within 1000 miles?"

Friends down that way tell me KO Sailing stocks Lasers and that you are less than 200 miles from them. I have no affiliation with them other than having driven past years back.

Don't be a hater. Love em all!

KO is behind the Aero push.

They haven't had any Lasers in stock in a long time.

Last I knew they had seven pre-sold Lasers on order which had been on order for a long time but had not yet arrived.

The stocking dealer mentioned in Wess' post 1700 miles away

Tackle Shack is 1100 miles away

None of the mentioned dealers will regularly have ever had representatives sailing in our Wednesday night races or even our regattas.

There has not been an enthusiastic dealer who even has tried to put together a fleet buy in Austin since the turn of the century.

If you're thinking about adding the Aeros to the Easter Regatta, I'd do it as soon as you can so the Aero fleet can plan.

Talk about making a splash! Thirteen Aeros registered so far. All the KO charters are spoken for, apparently.

There was one 9 and one 7 last year, so they raced Portsmouth Dinghy with the Texas Centerboard Circuit. Blew like stink the first day and light air the second. Some pics

https://canyonlake.smugmug.com/Wurstfest-I-Portsmouth-Dingy/i-qRqg757

If you haven't sailed Canyon Lake, it's a beautiful lake with clear water. Shouldn't be much motorboat traffic except for chase boats and anchor yankers. LCYC is a wonderful, laid back club. And Wurstfest is a well-run regatta and fun party.

Come play.

How does this "liability insurance" requirement work? Anyone know how you get this, and how much it costs? Also, can you get the liability insurance if you're chartering a boat?

How does this "liability insurance" requirement work? Anyone know how you get this, and how much it costs? Also, can you get the liability insurance if you're chartering a boat?

Most folks have their boat insurance with the same company as their car insurance. Call your car insurance company and ask.

Boat US is also in the insurance broker business and many of my customers have had Boat US Insurance coverage.

I deal a LOT with insurance companies because I repair boats.

Good ones:

No order!!

Mutual of Omaha

USAA

AMICA

Progressive

Allstate

Being left off the list means either I have had frustrating experiences with a company or I have never dealt with that company and have nothing to say

Hopefully the Aeros will get to reach a bit; not just upwind/downwind sailing.

Okay, Wurstfesters, what kind of racing do you want? The PRO for Portsmouth Dinghy and Aeros has asked for some input to help ensure you have fun. I see some of the Aeros registered play in this forum, so I'll start here.

1. Preferred course (w-l, triangle, mix, gates, offsets, etc.).

2. Length of course (time or distance).

3. Suggested start sequence by fleet. Shared start?

4. Do all Aeros, (5, 7, & 9) race as a single class? OD?

Yeah, some of the questions may seem a little odd, but the Aeros will be sharing the course with Portsmouth Dinghy. Looks like the 7s and 9s will fleet out if everyone shows, but there are some registered that didn't specify. Not sure if anyone is planning on sailing a 5.

KO Sailing may still have some Aeros for charter, if you're interested.

If you know someone registered that doesn't play here, please point them to this thread if they'd like input.

Thanks

Back on subject....

As a general request to all the RC at all regattas and especially at Wurstfest???

This is our last real chance to play with each other until spring. Some of us will do keelboat stuff or travel to Florida for some events but THIS GROUP won't see each other again for a while.

Please keep us out on the water racing for as long as possible and do as many races as possible.

We don't care about hurrying to dinner or hurrying to pack our boats to go home. We can eat anytime and we will be home for the next many months.

Assembling the Wurstfest fleet costs many thousands of dollars .... certainly less than a million bucks but it may cost the collective including the hosts over a hundred thousand bucks.

Certainly each race we get to sail lowers the Per race price but more than that, sending us in early is like throwing away many thousand dollars.

Most of the hardest work is done by the time we start race one but we CERTAINLY APPRECIATE all that is still to be done all day Saturday, Sunday, and even putting LcYC back in service for the locals after we go away.

But

If it is 3 pm Saturday of 11:30 Sunday and we. Could get in one more race???

My opinion... and I think others who think about it might universally agree...

If we go in instead of jamming in one more race ??

Well??

We just burned a great big pile of money and wasted a certain percentage of the effort put forth by all those wonderful dedicated volunteers who busted their fannys making the Event happen.

Start every race you can!! If you have to abandon?? That's ok. We had fun starting and racing to a one last buoy before time ran out.

It makes way more sense to drag in at the last minute for dinner or the trophies than to sit on shore wishing we had sailed one more contest.

I have NEVER heard ANYONE sound like he was complaining when he said, "Those guys jammed in all the sailing they could fit and only finally sent us in Because they simply ran out of time."

Wurstfest may be my favorite event every year. I know I have sailed more than forty weekends in Fireballs, Thistles, Sunfish, Lasers, J-22, and J-24... because I love the place and the people.

I hope we get to play and play and play !!!

There is plenty of time for socializing, eating, and sleeping after the time runs out.

Thanks for reading this

First it's nice to see a YC interested in the racers and their ideas as to the racing and courses.

The Aeros it is rumored like reaches so some combination of triangles would be nice. I remember past WF courses with such tight reaches that only the Weta's could fly their screachers and won everything. I also remember some races that lasted 18 minutes. Good for the slow boats, not so much for the rabbits. The TCC has never if I remember been worthy of the large part of the lake with the steadier wind. We have always been around the corner in the flukey stuff with short weather legs.

The biggest question is whether the Aeros are starting and being scored with the TCC. If they do then to make the numbers the "fairest" the courses should have equal numbers of beats reaches and runs and last close to an hour.

If the Aeros get their own start I say 30 minute races, as many as possible. Short legs with tight triangles. I think the Aeros warrant their own start with the number registered. Maybe racing with the Lasers on the big part of the lake in front of the club would be a nice change. The TCC is a bust this year. Give the trophy to Jenny and lets move on.

Thank you for the feedback!

We'd like you to have a great experience.

I am a firm believer in constructive competitor feedback to the RC - especially on the water.

Just sail by the RC before or between races and talk to me - it's easy!

We will be on a course we call A4 - the most northerly course, the one farthest from the yacht club.

On our course will be the Daysailors, All the Aeros, and the Portsmouth Dinghys, maybe a Weta with the PDs.

It is important to know this. See below.

Our scoring will be done by LCYC member David Lilley.

He will be scoring every boat in every race in every class - please make his job easier and more accurate:

1) Please enter the correct sail number and Portsmouth handicap info on your registration information no later than Wednesday, October 26. The earlier the better. (Maybe someone can go to KO and get sail numbers for the charter boats?)

2) Please use the same sail number throughout the regatta - even if you change sails. This is really important.

3) Please review the registration info for duplicate sail numbers for all boats on your race course - not just the boats in your class. We cannot easily handle duplicate sail numbers - especially on a course with different types of boats.

Fleeting:

As of this morning we have: 1) Daysailors 2) Portsmouth Dinghy 3) RS Aero (I need help here: here is how the fleet registered: on RE, one nothing, three 7s, six 9s, four plain "Aero". How does this fleet want to be scored? One one-design fleet? Two one-design fleets? Three? We don't need handicap numbers if you want one-design fleets. I do not understand the handicaps I found online: RS Aero 9 - 1030 RS Aero 7 - 1065

RS Aero 5 - 1105. These numbers don't look like the Portsmouth numbers we have for the other boats. This site was no help: http://www.ussailing.org/racing/offshore-big-boats/portsmouth-yardstick/current-tables/centerboard-classes/ . Educate me, please.)

Courses: How about:

Daysailors: single sausage or single triangle. Portsmouth dinghys and Aeros: sausage, triangle, sausage, or sausage triangle, or triangle sausage, or two sausages, three maybe - wind dependent. Will try for 30-45 minutes for the mid-fleet finishers. Trapezoid is not practical for this event, sorry about that.

Starts: Two starts proposed: First start all Aeros - all sailing the same course. Second start Daysailors, PDs. Daysailors sail a shorter course.

We'll run as many races as you want.

Thanks everybody!

Charlie

He means, why can't we be closer to the club, no reason to put us around the corner

"Racing with the Lasers on the big part of the lake in front of the club"

Don't know what else I can say.

The course you call A4 is where we always sail. A change would be nice considering the size of fleet.

Being treated like stepchildren around the corner sucks. Can I make that any clearer?

Charlie, please disregard any of the handicap nonsense and put the aeros with the lasers. It makes no sense to run us with other boats.. Similar boats on a course will help you guys bang out races.

Im chartering an aero. If we're on the "the farthest course from the club" with crappy breeze I'll probably stay home

Whine whine whine!!!

My first choice would be Lasers and AEROS together.

However.... any day racing beats a day at home and the wind on Canyon is pretty much the same everywhere.

The basins are big enough to stay away from the hills

Charlie,

Gouv says the wind is the same everywhere on Canyon Lake so lets have the Scots, Sunfish and Lasers sail around the corner and put the PY, Aeros and Daysailors on the big water in front of the club. Just for a change. Its far enough out to make this happen. Give everyone a dose of the A4. Promise I won't whine about the big course.

Ok, after confering with KO, they will not be able to supply sail #'s until friday when they hand out the boats, mainly due to the fact that 8 boats are chartered and will be assigned as needed, so we will have correct assigned #'s on friday, before races on sat, hope that will work, still working on accurate pn #'s for all also.

Many years, The Lasers and Scots have shared a course off to the right by Jacobs Creek park.

I cannot remember racing Lasers in front of the club or off to the left since the early nineties

I remember Hank Kleespies wrapping his mainsheet around a Sunfish sailor and yanking the guy off the boat and I do not think we have shared a course since

Time for change you really can believe in.

We're stronger together, and are going to make wurstfest great again.

Many years, The Lasers and Scots have shared a course off to the right by Jacobs Creek park.

I cannot remember racing Lasers in front of the club or off to the left since the early nineties

I remember Hank Kleespies wrapping his mainsheet around a Sunfish sailor and yanking the guy off the boat and I do not think we have shared a course since

Good luck with that. All sailboat races are rigged.

Well the sailboats racing are rigged. Trump says the election is rigged.

And any race I lost was rigged. But any race with beer and wursts involved canntt by definition be rigged.

Oh and you are wanted in the wooden blade thread for a video post. Please try to keep up with your duties. Or no beer for you! :P

Well the sailboats racing are rigged. Trump says the election is rigged.

And any race I lost was rigged. But any race with beer and wursts involved canntt by definition be rigged.

Oh and you are wanted in the wooden blade thread for a video post. Please try to keep up with your duties. Or no beer for you! :P

The wooden blade thread? I have never even been there. Wooden blades? How old do you think I am?

Sorry to interrupt but, IF we put the Aeros on the same course as the lasers, are you wishing to race head-to-head with them, or just on the same course?

IF we put the Aeros with the lasers, do we need to move the Portsmouth boats to sail with the Aeros?

Sorry for the questions, but the fleet this year is quite different from previous years when everybody except the Daysailors sailed the same course.

Shared courses is one thing. You need to expect that going to a multi-class regatta. However, any class that shows up in large numbers deserves to have its own start.

Yes, Race the Aeros with the Lasers on the same course, head to head, same start, scored separate.

Put the PY around the corner on the A4 like always with any other class that can not come up with 5 entries. Racing Wetas with Aeros is not the point of this regatta.

Easy to buy parts too.

Fred,

I feel your pain, FWIW we have a brand new Laser Race Version here at the shop. We have spars, full rig sails and some other parts. All running rigging.

Now, blades, those are a PROBLEM, so don't break'em.

Rod

Whine whine whine!!!

However.... any day racing beats a day at home and the wind on Canyon is pretty much the same everywhere.

The basins are big enough to stay away from the hills

Note the bold type Gouv. The course closest to the dam is terrible shifty especially if the top mark is in that South cove by Holiday Hotel boat ramp. The wind coming over the cliffs and dam can make it near impossible to reach the top mark.

Noooooo, This is my first time in the boat! I am personally not interested in starting at the same time as ten or twenty Lasers even though the handicaps are relatively close. I do not want to compete for starting line room in a chartered boat with the Laser fleet who likes (or used to) to play bumper boats and disregard the rules at the start and mark roundings.

Score us as one fleet or two. Two would mean more mugs. I don't think there will be any Aero 5's just 7's and 9's. :)

A good few of us that are chartering are members of the Texas Centerboard circuit (Lindy, Big D, Ortega and myself). It would probably throw a wrench in scoring the regatta for the TCC if we do not start with the portsmouth fleet and the Weta. I hate to dump this on you Charlie. But please do not start us with the Lasers.

Regards,

Fishing mickey

I'm chartering an Aero. I'm a bit nervous starting w/ 14 Aeros. That's a pretty big group. If I started with 14 Aeros and 20 Lasers in a 20+ boat start, I probably wouldn't really try to race (just hang back and follow the crowd) b/c I'd be nervous about scratching the Aero in an Aero vs Laser collision. Lasers are like tanks compared to Aeros. But I'll go w/ the flow no matter how the race is set up.

I'd love to be closer to the club in case there's little wind, but A4 can have the best wind irrespective of direction.

I agree with Mickey and Dion. I'd rather not be around the Lasers in a chartered boat I'm not familiar with. And two of the Laser fleets are composed of children. I've not had good experiences when they've been hanging out on the same line in our series racing.

Has anyone received a PayPal invoice from RS yet? Mine hasn't shown.

Changing my tune about racing with the Lasers.

Aeros should warrant a stand alone start. Race by themselves. On whatever course.

There is no wrench in the TCC scoring. Do not start or score us against the PY boats. Let them do there thing and the Aeros will do theres. Just my .02

Ok. Thank you for the feedback.

Aeros will have a dedicated start, PDs their own separate start.

You guys will have to figure out TCC scoring on your own.

Aero7 Fleet, separate Aero 9 Fleet, but starting and racing the same course together, ok?

We try to balance the load on each RC:

we have four RCs and 8 chase boats racing on four separate courses at the same time,

so you may be on A4 or on another course, depending on who shows up.

Is this ok?

By the way, RedTuna is correct: the best winds are down by Jacob's Creek area.

The hills screw up the courses closer to the dam.

Not to totally confuse the subject, but if we're going to handicap the Aeros based on sail size, can we not also handicap the Aero based on skipper size? Hank weighs 150# soaking wet and sails a 7. At 205# with a 9 rig, I'm no faster than Hank. Why does my combination get a penalty in rating (sailing skills aside)?

While reading the Aero International site, it seems the reasoning behind the different rig sizes was to eliminate the hocus-pocus of Portsmouth by sailing a rig that is based on your physical size. If you don't weigh 185+, you don't sail a 9. Seems like a pretty fair way to do things. When it blows (18knts+) the top third on the 9 is being dumped off with vang sheeting and all the Cunningham you can muster so sail area is effectively reduced to that of a 7. There is no advantage sailing a 9 vs a 7 when the breeze is on. Unless you are identical in size.

Got my invoice from RS, paid paypal, see ya then.

And having sailed an Aero twice in regattas, it's no worries if we sail with Lasers or big tub Scots, Aero is so much faster, and accelerates so quick, can get out of the way easily.

But it will be much fun to have our own start!

Thank you lindy911.

If the weather is crappy and many people stay home, or if the charter boats don't make it, we may still need the Pns.

Hope not, but you never know.

Would you please tell me your source?

Thanks again,
Charlie

I am absolutely not suggesting the Lasers and AEROS start together.

That would lower the quality of racing for each fleet.

They do sail at close enough to the same speed to make COURSE sharing easy to manage.

Flying Scots snd Lasers share well together for the same reason. A committee. An start either fleet and count on there not being much chance one fleet will sail through the other.

The fleet's may overlap a bit and even mingle later in the race but

And this is important

When the two fleets do mingle, it happens long after the start and most sportsmanlike sailors love to determine which boat may be more "still in the race or close to somebody" and the folks who "really aren't going to lose anything" happily go around and let the others race.

That sort of interaction is great for sailing.

A contest where AEROS snd Lasers try to show which boat is better could be a really unhappy experience

Separate starts PUHLEEEZE!!

I read back through the posts and there is not one mention of W-L, only triangles. An Aero needs a reach to be fun AND fast. I would rather see two laps around a triangle than an Olympic course of A-B-C-A-C finish. Get rid of the dead down wind leg all together.

Interesting.... I find DDW to be boring sailing but more tactical and therefore more of a game.

I like reaches because they are fun.

When we go out for a ride, we reach..... because teaching is fun.

So... I like courses with both reaches and runs

I think every Aero sailor wants a reach in the course. Regarding DDW, that could be fun in a big blow just for the knife-edge experience. Basically, whoever doesn't capsize wins! Would be kinda fun to see who goes for broke DDW, and who plays it conservative when it's really blowing hard. But I don't really care, as long as there is a reach.

Thank you for the feedback guys!

Daysailors and PDs and Aeros will be on the same course.

Aeros will have their own start and be given one of the "T" courses listed here.

This will be in the SIs next week. See you then!

post-41294-0-60298800-1477663510_thumb.jpg

By the way, we will have two foiling S9s set up and available for fun sails if you are interested.

RedTuna: it's time!

It looks like next year we will have a class of UFOs.

Reaching legs only for dw? Might take a bit but you guys will acclimate to OD racing. You have to have at least one leg straight downhill.

Charlie - Can you put some meat on those bones? Details please on why that is so (class of UFOs)? If that statement is truth it would impact my near term plans and ensure I travel to Texas next year to drink beer, eat wursts, and fly. Is this a wild dream of which you post or is there some reasonable basis in reality behind it. Hope so and way cool if so!

Reaching legs only for dw? Might take a bit but you guys will acclimate to OD racing. You have to have at least one leg straight downhill.

Yea, with Gouv and Fat Bastard (but not racing there so my opinion should not be counted).... but how the heck do you race without a down wind leg? I can see the need and benefit of a gybe mark if its blowing 20 plus as so to contain the carnage and help the safety boats/crew, but otherwise, why triangle parades? No criticism intended. If an Aero ain't fun to sail down wind then why sail it? Can it not be sailed by the lee like the Laser? Doesn't the gybe mark take away all the fun, tactics and skill out of the leeward leg?

Charlie - Can you put some meat on those bones? Details please on why that is so (class of UFOs)? If that statement is truth it would impact my near term plans and ensure I travel to Texas next year to drink beer, eat wursts, and fly. Is this a wild dream of which you post or is there some reasonable basis in reality behind it. Hope so and way cool if so!

Yea, with Gouv and Fat Bastard (but not racing there so my opinion should not be counted).... but how the heck do you race without a down wind leg? I can see the need and benefit of a gybe mark if its blowing 20 plus as so to contain the carnage and help the safety boats/crew, but otherwise, why triangle parades? No criticism intended. If an Aero ain't fun to sail down wind then why sail it? Can it not be sailed by the lee like the Laser? Doesn't the gybe mark take away all the fun, tactics and skill out of the leeward leg?

At the RS Aero Cup on Lake Garda in September, we had a mix of reaches and runs. The reaching legs were certainly fun, but it was the runs which really separated the men from the boys. Per Christian Bordal from Norway - the ultimate winner in the RS Aero 7 Class - was especially fast downwind, and he gave a talk after racing one day on his downwind technique. We all have a lot to learn about sailing Aeros downwind - even former Laser sailors.

So I would caution RS Aero sailors from asking for courses with no downwinds at all. The Aero is fun to race downwind. Just as much - if not more so - than a Laser is.

Charliepmayer, North Texas Lasers want downwind legs! People new to the Aero may not want downwinds, but downwind is a blast, especially when it's blowing!

Wess, I am trying to organize a UFO group in North Texas. The plan is to go to RI, sail the boat, and come home to get things going on Ray Hubbard. Already have several people ready to spring.

And Wurstfest is a blast. It's not as wild and wooly as it was in the 70s when "Kiss Me" buttons were allowed, but the eating and drinking are great!

Charliepmayer, North Texas Lasers want downwind legs! People new to the Aero may not want downwinds, but downwind is a blast, especially when it's blowing!

Wess, I am trying to organize a UFO group in North Texas. The plan is to go to RI, sail the boat, and come home to get things going on Ray Hubbard. Already have several people ready to spring.

And Wurstfest is a blast. It's not as wild and wooly as it was in the 70s when "Kiss Me" buttons were allowed, but the eating and drinking are great!

"Kiss Me" buttons are banned now?

s-l1600.jpg

Classic! What vintage is that?

And yes, they're banned. Too many fights due to guys kissing other guys' GFs.

I guess Myron Floren died a few years ago. He was pretty old when I went back in the 90s. Do they have a new ringer accordian player for Wurstfest?

I guess Myron Floren died a few years ago. He was pretty old when I went back in the 90s. Do they have a new ringer accordian player for Wurstfest?

Oh, hey, if you're planning on camping this year, the grassy area around the lighthouse is unavailable due to construction.

Hi everybody,

I understand we won't know Aero sail numbers until Friday when the container is opened, is that right?

If so, would somebody please bring sail numbers, or sail tape, or even duct tape so we can avoid duplicate sail numbers

or even missing sail numbers? We can score pretty quickly if the sail numbers are obvious.

If sail numbers don't match registration, or if someone sails with no numbers it really delays the results

and cuts into the fun time after the races.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Thank you,

Charlie Mayer

The charter boats each have sail numbers on the sails. The important thing is for each sailor to go the website and edit his registration

Road closure Saturday morning of Wurstfest 1. Check your email

Dear WFRI Skipper,